The EAA - The Season (Art/Writing)

The fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone.
High Lord of Imladris
Always a bit more to discover... - Sam Gamgee (FOTR, Many Meetings)

As you wander through the House of Elrond you see a hall it's doors flung wide and inside many easels and writing desks for artists of all sorts to share their gifts, there is a beautifully written note left on the door to all those that are curious.

Some simple copic created holly!

'Welcome to the Elven Artists Association, we welcome artists of all kingdoms and races to participate, and
enjoy the works shared as guests. This month our theme is The Season Winter is upon us and with it all of the joys of the holidays are upon us, be it snow, fir trees, bright paper, hot drinks, woolen goods or something specific to a holiday you celebrate. However you chose to interpret this months theme we hope you will share it with us be it in traditional, digital or photographic art or written mediums!

Rules:
Please keep art/writing posts to theme related
You are welcome to post MULTIPLE pieces per month - and to visit the previous themes of the thread at any time (Fall, Darkness)
Guests are welcome to comment on the art/writing in the thread.
OOC should be whited out at the bottom of the post
Last edited by Fuin Elda on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Khazad Elder
Through the trees a Wee-one goes,
brightening the night with soft light,
from a small cage where a firefly glows;
while the leaves begin to take flight
and Autumn dons her winter clothes.

High Lord of Imladris
Beautiful! I quite like the poem very very fae, and the art goes so nicely with it! Excellent work.

This is a piece that I did last month it is on someones shoulder and I find it hilarious that almost every August I find myself doing a maple leaf of some sort, as the very first tattoo I ever did in August... was a maple leaf (though the first was a water maple leaf so that was neat)

Sereg a Dîn

Khazad Elder
Cool! If I was into tattoos, I would do a leaf. Especially an Autumn leaf. Really well done, Fuin.
I am not much of an artist. I usually do a rough sketch and work on it in my paint program. Here are some funky trees I sketched and put some effects on. They remind me of a certain song called, Fallen Leaves.

In a crooked little town, they were lost and never found
Fallen leaves, fallen leaves, fallen leaves on the ground
BT

Loremaster of the Herd
Some autumnal poetry:
In darkling Winter he was born,
In Spring they crowned him squarely.
In Summer a crown of leaves he wore
and passed his judgement fairly.
But Autumn came, and Autumn fell
on Doriath, on silvan dell

In Winter woke beneath the stars
In Easterlands, where shadows are.
They traveled west and gathered there
And light was in his silver hair--
o Lords! came cries across the Sea,
Come to me, Come to me.

In Spring he halted in the West,
And camped his folk where folk thought best,
And loitered long among the green,
till nevermore the King was seen
though Lord came cries across the Sea
Come to me, o Come to me

In Summer they crowned him, in Summer he wed.
In Summer’s heat he lay his head
In Eglador, in Menegroth,
Where soon to leave he well was loth.
And cries for Lords to come to me
Came never more across the Sea.

In Summer they came and in Summer scorned,
Bloody Princes hard as horn.
So Autumn came, so Autumn fell,
on Doriath, on silvan dell.
And now the cry across the Sea--
Across the Sea where Wood should be--
Autumn has come, now come to me,
Lord cross the Sea, Lord Cross the Sea.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

High Lord of Imladris
Interesting @Tyrion Lannister I do similar though I tend to use a tablet so I tend to trace out new lines etc the colour mine. What program do you use if you don't mind me asking? (Also thanks! I quite enjoy doing nature/natural type tattoos)

@Androthelm Beautifully written, I always love your writing though I'm not a fan of writing poetry myself. Seems very reminiscent of Elvish song that Treebeard recites for the hobbits.

Loremaster of the Herd
yes @CHAOS -- I just got to that in the read through yesterday or the day before, and there is definitely some overlap. Mine's not half so good, though!

Thank you for the compliment!! :grin:

High Lord of Imladris
@Tyrion Lannister and @Androthelm It is time to vote for 'artist' of the month I should very much like to give it to both of you though there shan't be shinies involved that way.

But the big thing is is there a theme that either of you would like to see happen for the next EAA?

Khazad Elder
I am not to concerned about shines. I like all the contributions for October. If we have to have a winner, maybe a random plaza member can pick their favorite?

The clocks turned back an hour this weekend. November always seems like a dark month. Maybe the theme could be based on darkness?

High Lord of Imladris
Agreed fully the shinies are not what it should be about soI think I shall leave that be for this month after all there are but a few of us in here having fun. And I quite like youre idea for Darkness I think I will just alter the OP for it and we can continue on in thist thread as it was not terribly busy

EDIT: Moved from the OP to make room for the new image there.

Loremaster of the Herd
I'd like to second @Drifa's concept of darkness. November is a strange kind of an in-between, since it's in-between the in-between (Autumn) and real Winter. So darkness or maybe [/b]dwindling[/b]?

Khazad Elder
I did this in my paint shop pro . Nothing spectacular, doh! I can not seem to find the muse these days. When I was young I was afraid of the darkness under my bed and in my closet. Well actually, I am still frighten of the closet. :lol:
In The Darkness In My Closet

Wainrider
@Drifa thats IS scary! Its cool though :)

Khazad Elder
Thanks @Draugän Nuruhuinë ! All kinds of scary images come to one's mind while lying in bed staring (too frightened to get up and close the closet door for fear of what is under the bed) at the darkness in one's closet. :googly: Sometimes, the most straightforward childlike drawings, with a bit of effect added to them, are the scariest.

I am going to try and get two more entries in for this month before it is over. I am sure there are others out there that have some DARKNESS they can share before the deadline. It is all in fun! :smile:

Here is my interpretation of The Mewlips. I love this dark poem by Tolkien and Colin Rudd's short, simple song.

Last edited by Drifa on Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Wow I really do enjoy this one its very creepy as is the other! I'm hoping to get a piece done tonight or tomorrow night depends how packing goes so will join you in that.

@Draugän Nuruhuinë welcome to the eaa!

Khazad Elder
Thanks @Fuin Elda ! Look forward to seeing your darkness!🤪

High Lord of Imladris
Sadly packing up my house took way too much time, that said I will probably draw it anyways, normally I'd be asking you for a theme but this month coming up is going to be Happy Holidays so any piece of art, story, poem etc having to do with winter or the season or the various festivities that happen this time of the year will be welcome! I will hopefully get an update on the OP soon with a new piece of art to match the new theme!

A memorial tattoo done by myself (used for Darkness theme OP)
Last edited by Fuin Elda on Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
So Thanks Drifa for the amazing art on Darkness This is a new image for the new theme which has been explained in the top post (The Season)

This is a simple piece of copic work - I've taken playing with my copics a lot like water colour splashes as I currently have everyting but the paintbrushes I need for painting (I kept a pad of paper and paints out but forgot I needed brushes... no accounting for brains I swear.)

Jolly Holly

Khazad Elder
@Raisins Do we have an All Hallow's Eve theme? :grin: Please!
The world was fair in Durin's Day

High Lord of Imladris
ABSOLUTELY this hasn't been used in a while so the season certainly works! for Spooky season as well!

Khazad Elder
:grin:
A little bit of horror. Here is my husband's tattoo. It is from the series by Ezekiel Boone, The Hatching.

They Feast
Where are they?
I lay in a field of stones.
The sky above so vast;
dark and empty except for
the stars shaped like spears.
Where are they?
My body is broken; dashed upon
the stones.
My ears, though, listen.
Where are they?
Sounds from the cold earth;
creaks, moans, skuttling.
All creatures of the planet most eat.
Where are they?
Across the stones quickly,
upon my flesh, they move;
steel legs with barbed hairs,
fangs.
They feast, and the stars fall
from the sky, piercing my soul, and I am no more.