Arda: A World of Dreams - Free RP

The fair valley of Rivendell, upon whose house the stars of heaven most brightly shone.
High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
September 7th, 2615 - TA
Dol Amroth Outskirts
@Rillewen

They'd travelled at a fairly swiftly Fuin with Cala guiding them to where both the siblings had likely been born. She found the trip pleasant enough for the time being they had a good amount of food on them and they had enjoyed sitting around a fire each night before they went to sleep.

At first Cala seemed to be having a hard time figuring out where they had lived for a while it had been a while since they had last been here and with how long of a walk it was especially with Radaron when he was younger. A days worth of walking would have been a struggle especially when Cala was younger. Fuin looked about at the burnt remains of the home.

There was little left of the home just stones and burnt out ash from coal and a few other peices of coal that hadn't been fully burnt by the fire - likely if Cala had of been older when the fire had happened she may have been able to put the blaze out before it had damaged the house as much as it had. The roof that had been left after the fire was collapsed entirely as were a few of the walls. The river stone marked the forge she crouched picking up the bits of coal that had survived as Cala informed her and her brother that yes this was her first forge.

"It was once home and your forge it is sad, I have no doubt it was exciting, especially to get it to work." She said standing up holding the coal in her hands. "You are lucky though, this coal is good goal for smithing." She said as she broke the coal with her hands and a bit of effort. "This would get incredibly hot, if we can find the cave this is the best coal you can get for forging anything, swords armor. It's excellent for that." She said calmly and walked away from the house a bit and took a look around, to see where the forest was near by and perhaps where a creek might be before spotting a pile of rocks near by.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 7, 2615 - TA
Outskirts of Dol Amroth

Cala was both surprised and pleased to hear that the coal was of excellent quality, perfect for what they wanted. She smiled, tossing down a dried up reed she'd picked up, remembering. "Little Brother, remember how I had you blowing into a reed to keep the fire stoked?" She asked, laughing lightly, then added to Fuin, "I was trying to get the fire hotter, and he kept pestering me constantly, wouldn't stop talking and asking questions, I don't even remember what about... but finally, I just stopped and handed him the reed and said, "Make yourself useful, blow into it," and showed him how to do it." She grinned. "And that became his job from then on."

Radaron laughed. "Yeah, that was fun. Will I get to do anything like that with the new forge?" He asked, grinning.

"No, we're going to use a bellows. Like real smiths use. Bigger than the one I made before." She told him, looking around to try and remember which way they'd gone when they were gathering the coal before. Her gaze landed on the pile of stones, and her smile faded, saddened, as Radaron kept asking about this and that. Cala tuned him out for a moment, glancing around, and saw some flowers growing wild. "Little Brother, come here. Let's pick some flowers." She told him softly, recalling that she used to do this each spring when they'd return here, until they stopped returning.

"What's it for?" Radaron wondered, having been too little to remember anything about it before.

"You'll see." She answered, trying to select the prettiest wildflowers.

Once they had a small bouquet gathered, she led him to the grave, wishing she would have thought to scratch their mother's name on one of them, but now she couldn't remember what it might have been. "Do you remember?" She asked him, wondering, since he'd been so little last time they were here. She laid her bouquet down.

Radaron nodded slightly and put his with it. "Sort of." He waved for Fuin to join them. "It's our mother." He informed her. "We give her flowers when we come visit, so she can put them in a vase. Wherever she is."

Cala forced a small smile, making sure not to get teary-eyed, so Radaron wouldn't see. "It was... a bit overdue." She added quietly.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
September 7th, 2615 - TA
Dol Amroth Outskirts
@Rillewen

Fuin laughed at the idea of Radaron blowing on coals with a reed, it was brilliant and likely had given Cala a much needed break from the thousands of questions that the young child likely would have had. He still had them though he as old enough that he seemed to have learned to limit his questions. At least a little bit. Indeed they would not be using a reed, "No you get to talk to people that want to buy things while we work in the forge." Cala must have seen her looking at the pile of stones and motioned for Rada to join her. The elf stood back watching the children as they picked flowers she stood back watching them quietly, she understood what they were doing. Her heart ached for them, though at least they could visit the grave of their mother.

She stood back listening from afar. Indeed it was their mother as she had thought and they laid flowers down upon her cairn. Fuin walked calmly towards them as she was waved over she put her hand gently on his shoulder. "It is very sweet of you to give her flowers when you come to visit, I am sure that she thinks they are beautiful." Fuin knew that men passed beyond the borders of this world, to where she did not know, but she wanted to believe for them that their mother got the flowers and could see that they were safe now, Fuin looked at the rocks, there was no large head stone to mark who lay here. There were no large rocks nearby and she had to assume that it was simply because there had been no way for Cala who was much younger then to move a large stone.

"She understands. I think she may be happy to see why you've returned now after so long." Fuin said softly. She would if she found a decent stone bring a large head stone for the cairn and carve what she knew on it. She doubted, that Cala remembered her mothers name if she ever knew it in the first place she had been far too young when she had lost her mother. "Why don't you tell her all of the adventures you've been on these last week Radaron while Cala and I set up camp?" She offered to give Rada something to do and give Cala a chance to talk about more if she wanted to without Radaron hearing possibly.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 7, 2615 - TA
Outskirts of Dol Amroth

"Alright!" Radaron seemed pleased with that idea. He could talk about his adventures for hours if allowed to, and was quite eager to do so, pretending as if the mother he never knew might be listening.

Cala smiled faintly, glad that Fuin had found a way to occupy him. She heard him start talking excitedly as she slipped away, thoughtful as she went to look for a good place to set up camp. She didn't want Radaron to see that she was saddened, and tried to push it out of her mind. "Would this spot work, you think?" She asked Fuin quietly, some distance away from the grave.

Glancing up at her, she hesitated before mentioning, "I didn't expect this place to make me so..sad." She sighed, glancing over to Radaron and the pile of stones. "I miss her.. I hadn't thought about her in a long time, and now I feel kind of bad for that. I don't even..really remember what she looked like, anymore." She frowned. "I wish I remembered her name. I must have known it once, I'm sure, but.. I didn't think to put it on any of the stones back then. Now I can't remember it." She looked down, frowning, then glanced again at her brother. "I was only a couple years older than him when she died, now that I think about it.. it's strange..isn't it? He's so little..." How did she ever manage, she wondered, thinking back. She hadn't felt like she was so little, back then, even if everything seemed big and scary.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
September 7th, 2615 - TA
Dol Amroth Outskirts
@Rillewen

Rada began telling his mother everything, it was very sweet and Fuin vaguely wished that she could do the same with her father some days but his grave was drown with the changing of the world and her husband. She wasn't sure she'd ever be able to get on a ship again, she knew where the grave was but it had been almost 6000 years since she'd been on that island. She and Cala were getting ready to set up the camp and she was nodding absently the area would be good. She came back when Cala looked at her sighing.

Fuin had no doubt part of it was likely because of how long it had been, after all she had to take care of Rada, and coming back here would be dangerous without a place to live. "You couldn't live here or stay here safely when you lost the house." Fuin said softly. "You had far more pressing things to worry about, like keep yourself and your brother alive. If no other name is remembered Mother is always a good name to be remembered by."

Fuin headed over to Cala stopping setting up the tent that they would be sharing for the few night or two they would be here so that they could find the coal. "You've not had a chance to even grieve really - you have needed to be too strong for too long. You're still a child it's okay to not remember, you had to grow up too fast because you had to to survive." She set a hand on Cala's shoulder, "Tears are not evil things they can heal and you do not need to be the only one to take care of Rada and Rada should know it's alright to cry when you are sad. You are not in charge of making sure you survive anymore. You're safe Cala, as is your brother." Cala was still so young even if she didn't feel like she was.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 7, 2615 - TA
Outskirts of Dol Amroth

Cala rubbed her eyes, nodding slightly in reply to Fuin, though she still didn't want to let any tears come. It would be silly, now. She'd cried enough back when it happened, before Radaron was old enough to understand. It wouldn't help anything, she figured, and they had things to do. She couldn't really think of any proper way to reply to what Fuin said, and looked away, trying to think of something else to talk about.

She ended up looking out at the sea, and smiled faintly as one faint memory did come to her. "Mother once told me how she got my name," She mentioned after a moment. "She said that when I was born, she looked out of the window, and saw the moon gleaming on the calm ocean," She motioned toward the sea. "And she thought it was the prettiest sight ever, so she named me Calaerdis... light of the sea, or something like that." She smiled a little at that thought, one of the few things she remembered about her mother. "I wonder what she would have named Radaron." She added thoughtfully, wishing she hadn't been so weak that she could hardly stay awake. Though Cala thought his name suited him very well, she was always quite curious what her brother's name might have been, had her mother been able to choose it.

Turning back to Fuin, she smiled slightly. "Can I help with the tent or anything?" She wondered, feeling the need to do something useful. "And, if we need any firewood, Radaron used to go and gather some for me when we used to come here. He was much littler then, but he might still remember where the good places are." She mentioned.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
September 7th, 2615 - TA
Dol Amroth Outskirts

@Rillewen

She watched Cala figuring she wasn't ready to let any tears come, she wasn't going to push, after all for all the wisdom of what she was saying she didn't follow it either and she had a good many years on Cala to have learned that lesson.

"That is a beautiful story" Fuin said with a nod, and shrugged, "I am not sure she could have picked a better name for him." She motioned to the tent, "You can help tie off that side." She said calmly figuring it would be for the best if they got the tent up and a campfire going so that they could make some food and stay warm since it would be cool tonight as it was later in the year.

"Once Rada is finished with telling your mother everything we'll go get wood and see if we could find the creek that he was playing in when he found the coal, both for water and to give us a place to start looking from the cave tonight. We'll see what we can find tonight and then again early tomorrow morning if we don't find it tonight." She said pinning the corner closet to her to the ground with a wooded peg before going to the corner on her side of the tent and doing the same once they were in they could put the poles up inside the tent so that it would be large enough that the two children could sleep comfortably inside in the blankets that they'd brought. She would stay outside and keep watch though there was little trouble to be had she did not like the idea of not having some watch about when she had charges that were not able to protect themselves if something came upon them.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 7, 2615 - TA
Outskirts of Dol Amroth

Nodding slightly, Cala smiled a bit and went to help with the tent. Glancing over to her brother, she wondered how long it would take him to get bored of talking to someone who could not reply, and figured that once he had run out of things to tell her about, he would be back over here bothering them. It was nice though, being the only way he could connect with his mother. Once the tent was staked out, she helped insert the poles and get it standing, then brought their blankets inside.

"I remember it was in..that general direction," She pointed, recalling the many trips they had made, carrying coal back here. "It seemed like a long walk at the time, but it might just be because we were a lot younger then." She frowned, trying to remember, but hopefully they'd both begin to remember the way as they went.
Soon Radaron came running over. "Is it time to eat yet?" He wondered. "I told her all about everything, even about Traston and Renior." He grinned at Fuin. "I can't wait to come back someday and tell her about how it went."

Cala glanced at him, a little confused what he meant by that, but decided maybe she'd rather not know. "We haven't started on any supper yet, we only just now got the tent up." She told him. "We can go and get some wood now, though, and get a fire going. You can help us with the wood. Do you remember where you used to find it before?"

Radaron thought for a moment, glancing around. "I think so?" He looked out at the darkness, a little unsure.. he never used to go out for wood when it was dark out, and hadn't been here in ages and ages. "That was a long time ago though, I was just a little kid then." He reminded Cala, not so sure about this after all.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
September 7/8th, 2615 - TA
Dol Amroth Outskirts

@Rillewen

The tent was up and it was getting dark quickly. Fuin could see well enough though the moon was only a sliver in the sky his light was enough for her to find her way safely. "It's alright I'll go get the wood tonight you can get more tomorrow so we can cook on lunch once you wake up, you help your sister pull out what we need to make supper I'll be back in a little bit if you need help either of you just yell I will come running back." She said and gave Rada's head a ruffle and slipped of towards where she could see a stand of trees.

They ate a small meal and went to bed, well the children did. Fuin stayed up tending the fire wandering in elven dreams listening to the chorus of bugs and frogs that were calling to each other. There were no howls of wolves or anything dangerous so she was able to rest fairly easily her eyes open. Part way through the night she went and pulled a single stone from Cala and Rada's mothers grave and began scraping at it with her knife listening to the children breathing long and slow sound asleep likely cuddled together once more in the cool night.

As the grey sky of predawn came so did the chorus of the bird and she returned the stone to the grave, it now read 'Mother of C&R' she put it by the bouquets of flowers the children had laid the day before and began pulling out some bread and dried fruit for breakfast. If they found the coal early they would take some back to the forge with them and Fuin would make plans to get more later once they had found it as trying to bring a lot back when they had to find it and take the time to feed two children and carry everything they needed? Was not a good plan. She'd bring a horse and cart the next time as that would make far more sense, the children would be awake soon as the sun was now just starting to peak over the horizon in the east.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 8, 2615 - TA
Outskirts of Dol Amroth

Cala didn't think she'd be able to sleep, but did finally manage to drift off. She didn't like her dreams too well, though she didn't quite remember them when she wakened, it seemed as if she was back to living on the streets like before, instead of having a nice, safe home with a comfortable bed, for once. That feeling being such a new one, it was all too easy to revert back to feeling as if everything was back to the way it used to be. As if they never met Fuin. She tossed around a good bit, continually waking and trying to get comfortable, half-asleep as she tried to remind herself that this was only for a few days, but then her subconscious would take over again, and convince her sleeping mind that everything was just as it always had been.

She woke at last to the sound of birds stirring, though she didn't feel like she'd slept much at all. Stretching, she looked around, taking note of all the proofs that all the things of the past few days.. meeting Fuin, and all that.. really did happen. Obviously, they did. They were in a tent, for one, which she'd never had when it was just her and Little Brother. He was curled up by her, fast asleep as if he couldn't be more comfortable. Cala rubbed her tired eyes, which wanted to close and try sleeping again, then slipped quietly out of the tent, trying not to wake Radaron, as if such a thing were possible. And there was Fuin, the best proof of all that all of this past week had truly happened. She smiled sleepily and came to join her. "Good morning. Is there anything I can do to help?" She whispered, figuring Radaron might as well sleep on for now.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
Dol Amroth Outskirts
@Rillewen

"Good morning Cala." She said with a smile looking back at the young woman. "No we're good for now I've got some eggs boiling, I was able to get some wood while you were sleeping before the sun rose." She said with a smile motioning to the small pot that had several eggs boiling. "I'm hoping we find the cave early so we can start heading back to Minas Tirith, we won't be able to get more than enough coal to work for a short while, but we'll need a horse and cart to get enough to be worth while ." Fuin said calmly. "Otherwise feel free to just sit and relax and enjoy the morning." Fuin said knowing that Rada would wake up on his own shortly, it was at best half an hour of peace for the both of them just sitting and waiting, most of the time it was less than that though. Fuin for her part had a mug of tea and was sipping at it enjoying the colours of the sun to the east.

"When we get back to the forge we'll start working right away - I want to see what you know with a working forge and then we can work from there." She looked off towards the south for a moment before looking at Cala. "I know the forge was still looking a little off when we left but by the time we get back it should be looking really good, and probably quite different from what you are use to seeing for a blacksmithing forge." Fuin said with a smile hearing Rada stirring in the tent. Once they'd both eaten they would be off looking for this cave of coal.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 8, 2615 - TA
Outskirts of Dol Amroth

Cala grinned at that, joining Fuin by the fire. "I can't wait to start." She said, wondering how the forge might have changed by the time they got back. It was hard to imagine that by then, it would be ready to use. She hoped they'd be able to gather at least enough coal to use the forge a little bit, and could hardly wait to get started on finding the cave. Once Radaron had joined them, Cala helped him peel his eggs, and soon breakfast was over and they were setting off to find the cave.

Cala let Radaron run a little ahead, though warned him to stay in sight. She figured it might be nice to let him run off some of his energy, and he might start remembering the way to the cave that way. After a little bit of hiking into the woods, she paused, listening. "I think I hear a stream." she said, hopeful. She remembered there should be a stream near here, and set off in that direction. "Don't go too far ahead Little Brother!" She called, when she looked around and didn't see him, feeling a bit of alarm.
He climbed back over a log he'd just climbed over. "I'm right here." He assured her, balancing on it. "There's a stream down that way! I think it's where we used to swim." he said excitedly, and hopped down to run toward it.
"Don't run down the hill, you might fall," She warned him, nervous.
Sighing, Radaron waited for them to catch up, feeling it was silly to be worried about something like falling, but the leaves did make the sloped part of the forest pretty slippery, he noticed once they started downward.

Soon they arrived at the bank of a creek. "This is definitely it," Cala smiled, recognizing certain landmarks, like a tree with a funny-shaped branch, or a certain rock that jutted out. "Look, there's where we swam, see?" She pointed out to Radaron. "We'd sit there on those nice flat rocks and stick our feet in the water, or jump in off that big rock there." She grinned, and looked at Fuin. "It shouldn't be too far now, we just have to follow it upstream a bit. The water comes out of the cave... we found it because I happened to notice some bits of coal along the streambed, and followed it to try and find the source.. which I guess I did." She explained.
"Can we swim for a while before we go look for the cave?" Radaron asked hopefully. He bounced a little, looking over at the calm little pool where he and Cala used to swim, and hoping Fuin would say yes.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
Dol Amroth Outskirts
@Rillewen

They walked for quite a ways into the woods with Radaron running circles aroung them basically Cala was more concerned than Fuin was, children she had found had a tendancy to scream when they were hurt more so than going silent. It was more concerning when they shrieked to her she was never sure if they were dying or having fun unless she could see them. He was having fun and Fuin wasn't worried too much though some of the places were slippery from the wet fallen leaves.

Soon Cala started recognizing landmarks and pointed out to Radaron where they use to swim and Fuin winced, knowing the question that was going to be coming. There it was Fuin looked at Radaron and shook her head. "No lets find the cave first then we can swim as a reward, besides we're going to get dirty getting some coal so we're going to need to get the dust off of ourselves afterwards so that way we don't have to go swimming AND have a bath we can just get clean while swimming."

Rada was of course a little bit disappointed by this, as he wanted to swim now however the thought of having to have a bath after swimming seemed silly to him so he supposed Fuin was right.

"All right." He said with a sigh as they continued onwards. Now that they were at the stream they had something to follow though a good amount of the walking was going about curves and clambering over over smooth river stone until in the distance she could see what looked like a cave entrance in amongst a rocky outcrop. "Looks like we are almost there." Fuin said as Radaron ran ahead towards the cave.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 8, 2615 - TA
Outskirts of Dol Amroth

It seemed to take forever.. much longer than she remembered, but maybe her memory was playing tricks on her.. but finally, the cave came into sight. Cala grinned when she saw it, and then felt a bit nervous when she saw Radaron start rushing toward it, cheering. "Little Brother, wait," She called, suddenly worrying about wild animals.. perhaps there was a bear hiding in there, or a wildcat! Radaron stopped, confused as he looked back.
"What? Isn't that it?" He asked, glancing back at the cave in puzzlement. Cala caught up to where he had stopped in his tracks, nodding. "It's the cave, yes, but we don't know if it's safe. It's been a long time since we were here.. maybe some wild animal is living in there now." She pointed out. "You'd better wait and let us check it out first, just in case."

Radaron thought about that, then nodded. "Oh, right. What if there are wild animals though?" He asked, wide-eyed. "What if we all get eated by a bear?!" He hurried to hide behind Cala, looking up at Fuin. "Are there bears around here? And wolves?"
Cala glanced at Fuin as well, honestly unsure about the answer to that. "That's why you shouldn't just run into a cave without checking around first," She explained to Radaron. "You never know... right?" She asked, directly the last bit at Fuin.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
Dol Amroth Outskirts
@Rillewen

"If we get eaten by a bear then we don't have any more problems in this life. But don't worry, ," Fuin said with a chuckle, "I didn't hear any wolves last night but both could be in the area, but I would have expected the wolves would have howled and you'd likely have heard them as well." "If there is a bear I will take care of it that's why I brought my bow." She said patting Rada on his head.

"That said I would feel better if you let me check the cave first and stay behind me in case there is a bear or something else like that." Fuin sad and slipped her bow off of her back. She did not like going into unknown caves without being armed. She drew and arrow and knocked an arrow and moved forwards standing off to the side of the cave looking into it giving her eyes a chance to adjust to the darkness of the cave. She could hear Rada peaking around her.

"No." She said firmly, "Get back behind me out of the cave mouth, there are tracks going in and out but not a bear." She said and glance at Cala to make sure she had her brother in hand, the last thing Fuin wanted was curious Radaron to come running in after her if it took more than one shot and get hurt. It was a long run to Dol Amroth with an injured child, it was one thing for her to limp that far on her own but she didn't need him hurt as well. "Stay put." With that she slipped into the cave. It wasn't that dark with the light behind her she was at a disadvantage whatever was in there could smell her and see her outlined in the light.

She heard a low growling barking and drew back her bow pressing herself against the wall looking for the source, she knew what it was well enough but it was too much of a threat with Rada around, herself Cala not an issue. And then she saw the eyes shine a yellowish white and loosed the arrow.

The animal screamed terribly and charged a few steps towards her before falling dead her arrow having run well into the beasts chest.

"I'm okay that was the cat." She said certain that the cats cry had thoroughly terrified Rada at the very least probably Cala as well. "I'm going to make sure there aren't any cubs."

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 8, 2615 - TA
Outskirts of Dol Amroth

Cala at first thought that it was only a good precaution to check the cave, and a good idea to teach Radaron to be more careful of such things... she never expected that it might actually contain a real wild animal. It never had before, after all, and she thought now how lucky they had been back then, that there were no animals hiding in it. She watched nervously as Fuin set off into the depths of the cave, after pointing out that there were tracks. She caught Radaron when he tried to peer around the elf into the cave, and tugged him back from the entrance. Feeling quite nervous about this whole thing, she pulled him closer and crouched down, around the side of the cave.

It felt like several long moments passed, her heart racing as she wondered what sort of horrific beast might be lurking within the cave, and worrying about Fuin, wondering if it was going to rip her apart and then come after her and Radaron. Then suddenly a terrible scream came from the cave and she hugged Radaron tighter, frightened as she stared toward the cave, wide eyed. Radaron pressed closer, possibly even more frightened, and whimpered softly as they waited to find out the outcome. It felt to Cala like at least a few heartbeats passed before they heard Fuin calling out to assure them that she was alright. Relieved, Cala let out a long breath she'd been holding, and let go of Radaron at last.

Hearing mention of possible cubs, Radaron's eyes got wide and he grew very excited, slipping out of Cala's arms as he peeked around the edge of the cave's mouth. "If there's cubs, can we keep them?" He asked hopefully, thinking how awesome that would be, to have pet wildcats. He wondered what sort of cat it had been, as she didn't actually say. Maybe it was a nice big lion, and he could tame the cub and have a pet lion and then everyone would be very impressed and everything. He could let it sleep in his bed and cuddle with him at night! And if there was more than one, then Cala could have the other one, he thought, and the cubs could play together and be adorable and also protect them. "Please?" He added to Fuin, without even knowing if there actually were any cubs. The idea was very exciting though!

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
Dol Amroth Outskirts
@Rillewen

Fuin picked went to the back of the cave and picked up the feline and carried it outside. "No cubs, it's a boy cat." She said calmly happy that she wasn't going to have to say no to Rada yet again. She wasn't sure how well Rada would have taken being told that they could keep wild cats as pets that it was dangerous and that it would be fair to the cats to live in Minas Tirith. She carried the feline out a bobcat it's coat not terribly thick yet it was only just starting to get thicker for winter. She laid the beast out on the ground outside the cave letting Cala and Rada see it running her fingers over its eyes so that they were shut. A bobcat with its short tail and fluffy cheeks made it, "We can't really eat it's meat, but we can use it's pelt in the house as an extra warm blanket this coming winter." Fuin said softly running her hand through its fur as if she were patting it. Washed her hands in the water flowing out of the creek stood up. "Lets get the coal, while you two are swimming I;ll take care of the pelt." She said and motioned for the kids to follow her into the cave.

The coal was near the back of the cave and it didn't take a lot of work to break of chunks of the soft black coal and they quickly filled all their bags with it as much as they could. She walked them back to where they were going to be swimming bringing the bobcat part way back. Rada had been asking her questions about the bobcat the entire time that they'd been walking back and she wasn't sure the young child would be able to deal with what it meant to take a pelt off an animal, so she was happy when he decided it was far more exciting to go swimming as Fuin said she wouldn't be swimming very long after she finished with the bobcat so if he wanted to swim and play in the river that he should do that. Once he was swimming she gave Cala a nod and headed back to deal with the bobcat (and to get her arrow out of it). She worked quickly keeping an ear out for Rada and Cala calling for help and soon had the pelt rolled up and her arrow which was covered in gore pulled so that she could wash it in the water as well as her hands. She set the cat curled up at the base of a tree they should leave before night fall get a ways away from the forest as she didn't overly want to stay in any one place where there was meat and decay as that was a good way to attract bears and wolves.

She came back to the river and smiled seeing Rada taking a running leap off of the stone that Cala had pointed out into the river. She went down stream and washed her hands and her arrow tucking it away before she went to sit with her feet in the river for a little bit.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 8, 2615 - TA
Outskirts of Dol Amroth

Cala was rather glad as well, to hear that it was a boy cat, as she'd been trying to think how they might explain to Radaron that they couldn't take any wildcat cubs into the city with them, and that they wouldn't make good pets... she watched Radaron pet the soft fur of the dead cat, but she declined to touch it, not really sure she wanted to touch a dead animal. When the pelt was turned into a soft blanket, it would be different, but for now she didn't really want to mess with it.

Inside the cave, she was a bit surprised to find the ax head which they had left there years ago, when they used to gather coal for her 'forge'. She picked up the ax, still with a few inches of broken handle attached, and remembered how frustrated she'd been when she failed at even cutting down a tree. While they gathered the coal, she used the ax head, just as before, to help break off bits of it and loosen it, and piled it into the old sheet which used to serve as a privacy screen in the old house they'd lived in, before meeting Fuin. She'd brought it along, hoping to make it so they could bring back a good supply of the coal. Once it was as full as they could reasonably carry it, she was quite glad to leave the cave. She worried now and then that the bobcat might have a girlfriend that would come along and be angry to find them in here, and her mate killed. But there was no further incident, and they soon had moved onto swimming.

Hearing all the many questions Radaron was asking, Cala could guess that Fuin was not wanting to give him answers on some of it, and tried to distract him. Finally, she managed to get him to go swim, and was relieved. The rest of the afternoon was quite enjoyable, and as they played in the water, they soon forgot about the fright with the bobcat. This time, though, Cala tried to keep a better eye on Radaron to make sure he didn't get too cold. Once she started to see him shivering, she announced that it was time to get out of the water, though he protested, she insisted and soon she and Radaron were sitting on the bank to dry.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
September 8th, 2615 - TA
Dol Amroth Outskirts
@Rillewen

Fuin sat beside the kids as they were sitting drying out she'd washed her arms hands and face but otherwise she had stayed out of the water over all except dipping her feet in. "So while we are heading back to the camp I want you two to think on this: we can start back home today get back to our nice comfy beds sooner if you two like or we can stay here one more night and set off in the morning." She kicked her feet in the water swirling it into eddies around her ankles. Indeed if they left once they packed up their small camp, they would be back half a day earlier than if they stayed, so the number of nights where they would be camping would be the same but they'd be able to have supper back at home and her and Cala could likely start working on some basics in the forge itself since all that was left to get it working at this point was the coal that they had with them.

Once the kids were a bit drier they started back towards the camp, it was slower than it had been coming out to the cave as they all had coal with them though not a terrible lot for Rada and Cala had only a bit more than him as she was going to be in charge of carrying the tent while Fuin carried the rest of the gear that they had traveled with.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 8, 2615 - TA
Outskirts of Dol Amroth

Fuin's question brought forth diverse answers. Radaron was excited to have a say in the matter. "I want to camp some more! It's fun!" He declared, excited about the idea of sleeping in the tent another night.
Cala, on the other hand, thought about a few things before giving her answer. "I think I'd rather start back as soon as possible." She didn't want to alarm Radaron, but thought about the remains of the bobcat and worried about other wild animals coming for it. She preferred to be far away if that happened, just in case, and definitely didn't want Radaron being anywhere close to where savage beasts may come looking for an easy meal.

That wasn't her only reason, of course.. she also thought of how exciting it would be to be able to use the forge sooner. Plus, the idea of getting to sleep in a nice comfy bed again far outweighed the idea of having to sleep on the cold, hard, lumpy ground. She had not had much proper sleep in the few days since they'd been traveling, and while she was fairly used to it, it was definitely nicer to sleep in a warm, soft bed. The sooner they got back home, the happier she'd be.

Radaron was in disagreement, however. "But it's funnn." He whined. "I wanna camp here tonight. And I can tell mother all about the cat and everything!" He added, grinning. It had sort of occurred to him that, after this trip, it was unlikely they would ever be sleeping outside again, and it was a lot of fun and he'd miss it. Camping seemed like a great adventure to him and he figured it was probably his last chance at doing so, and didn't want it to end quite so soon.

Sighing softly, Cala tried to think of what she could do to encourage him to want to come back sooner. She glanced at Fuin, having a bit of a suspicion she might be thinking of the same things as to why it would be better to return sooner, then thought of an idea and turned to Radaron again. "But Little Brother," She smiled, kneeling down to his level. "We can get tarts once we're back in the city. And other yummy things that we can't get out here."

Radaron paused, thinking on that, and grinned. "Alright! Let's go back and get tarts!" He hopped up and down excitedly. "Can I help pack the tent and stuff?"

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
September 8th, 2615 - TA
Dol Amroth Outskirts
@Rillewen

Fuin could tell that Cala wanted to go home and was going to suggest that they could go camping again another time if he wanted to go camping even if it would be a little while, however Cala for her part came up with a different solution. It was one that worked and fortunately one that wasn't too terribly expensive - they would have a few more days before he'd have another tart and they'd get back early enough that they would be able to get the tarts the day arrived back in Minas Tirith.

Fuin smiled, "You can be in charge of helping Cala fold the blankets before Cala and I will take care of the tent so you can tell your mother about the cat, but you'll need to be quick about it." She said with a smile and pulled the blankets out of the tent so that he and Cala could fold them while she started pulling the pegs and knocking the poles down so that she could start prepping the tent to be folded up.

Three days later they were tired but back before the massive gates of Minas Tirith, lead them to the bakery that they'd visited the first time so they could get a few tarts each as a celebration before they headed back up to the second circle and their home. Despite Rada's want to camp he was as excited it seemed to be back home. They headed to the living quarters first to drop everything off and eat a meal and enjoy their tarts before they would start working in the forge itself.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis

September 12, 2615 - TA
Minas Tirith - Second Circle

Radaron was quite tired after all the traveling and camping. As much fun and adventure as it was, it was tiring. After finishing his tart, he curled up in bed and fell asleep soon after. Cala smiled and covered him up with his blanket, then went to join Fuin. "I suppose he'll probably be up before dawn now, running around with all sorts of energy." She laughed. She was a bit tired too, but that was easily forgotten when there was a wonderful, brand new forge to be tested! She was excited to finally get it working, and hoped that all had gone very well with the building process.

Upon seeing the forge, she was rather stunned by how much it had changed while they were gone. It was now a beautiful white, and she was astonished at the difference between when they first put it together, and now. "Do you think we have enough coal?" She wondered, hoping very much it was enough. She wanted to get it working, and it would be a terrible disappointment if there wasn't enough coal to do anything with it.

Once they had added coal to the forge, and everything else it needed, Cala was further impressed by how much nicer it looked than any others she'd ever seen. This was clearly a far superior forge than anything any other smith around here had. Just like Fuin had said. "What'll we do first?" She wondered, eager to get some metal heating and actually make something on this lovely new forge. She wondered what would be the first thing they'd make?

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
September 12th, 2615 - TA
@Rillewen

"Well you've dealt with forges for a while, I think the first thing that needs to be done now that we have it all set up is it gets lit for its first time." Fuin said calmly looking at Cala with a smile and pulled a flint and handed it to Cala. "I think you should do the honors." She knew that Cala had lit coal before so she had no doubt that she would be able to do this even if it was nerve racking to have to do it in front of a teacher. "We will keep the heat low with some of the smaller pieces to heat the bed the first time."

The heat would need to be built up slowly so she would be in charge of making sure that the coal was added to the forge bed as needed. Once the bed was full of coal it was time to get some metal and for them to make the first thing. "I think we should make a coal stoker first to be able to move the coals around the bed, and then a shovel." Fuin said dusting her hands off and motioned for Cala to put on her apron and gloves since they would be working with metal soon. Fuin locked the bellows.

"When we aren't working we lock the bellows, the coals will keep burning without any extra air just not as fast we don't want the bellows to get blow back and explode." She said calmly and headed to the scrap metal pile that Radaron brought and she pulled out a fairly long piece of scrap that she wasn't even sure what it was from. A coal stoker would be easy to make it was a piece of metal with right angle bend that flattened out into a spatula shape with curved handle so that the could move the coals around the bed with ease to either make it a hotter or colder bed. She handed the crap to Cala and wanted to see what the young woman would do.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calaerdis

September 12, 2615 - TA

Cala had plenty of prior experience with lighting a fire with coal, so it took little time for her to get the coals lit. She felt a bit nervous, however, and hoped she was doing it right. Was there a right or wrong way? She'd only seen it done before, and copied what the other smiths did, and hoped that it was right. She nodded as Fuin explained about needing to heat it slowly, and watched her lock the bellows, a bit surprised to hear that they could explode. "Oh.." She blinked, having never heard anything about that before. It was quite a good thing she'd never had hers explode before, and had picked up the habit of looping a string around the handles at night, now that she knew about that. "Right, I'll make sure I don't forget that."

Taking the scrap piece, she paused, thinking. A coal stoker. She'd sort of envisioned the first thing they made would be something a bit more glamorous, but that was quite practical and she had no arguments about that. Though she had always just used a stick to accomplish stoking the coals and moving them around, she had seen these before and knew about what it should look like. She tried to keep the memory of what it ought to look like in her mind as she waited for the metal to heat, feeling nervous about making something in front of Fuin. She'd made things before, but never with someone watching, other than Radaron. And with that someone being a master smith, it was quite a lot of pressure. Hopefully she'd do alright.

While it was heating she got the tongs and hammer ready, wishing she had better ones, but it was better than nothing. She smiled a bit, watching the metal begin to turn pretty colors. "You know," She spoke softly, thinking back on a memory, "The first winter after mother died, we were hiding in a blacksmith shop.. and I watched him take a useless chunk of metal.. and it turned all pretty and glowing, and he made it into something. A sword I think? I forgot what it was now. But I was so amazed... I thought it was the most wonderful thing, to be able to turn some useless chunk of metal into something useful." She smiled. "I decided right then that I wanted to do that too." She paused, using her tongs to take the metal out of the fire when it looked like the right color. "I think I was..like nine?" She smiled a little.

"And then later I tried to do the same thing, after he'd gone for the night." She blushed lightly, realizing now what a bad idea that had been, and focused on tapping the metal into the shape she wanted, hoping she was doing it right. "I remember I stuck a little scrap piece of metal on the coals and watched it get all pretty and glowy, then I tried to hammer on it, but I didn't know how, and it got cold too fast. So I tried again, only the second time when I started hammering on it, I guess the guy heard me and came in all angry, and kicked us out." She sighed, remembering that disappointment. "But I never forgot how incredible it was, watching him shape the piece of metal into something useful."
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

Fuin sat back watching, Cala was doing a good job over all, Fuin sat back calmly leaning against a wall watching her work waiting for the metal to heat and getting her equipment. There were a few things they needed before they started to replace the tools that they already had. A stoker and a shovel were the first ones, then Fuin was torn between a hammer or a new set of tongs. The hammer might be better, a better face to work with when they were making the tongs making them smoother and better tongs which they would need. The shovel and the stoker? Those were fine with being made with a smaller hammer that wouldn't do quite as nice of a job. The hammer would make it so they could face a hammer easily enough. That said she would likely make the hammer herself since the face of it would be what they needed perfect and that took practice and skill.

She listened to Cala tell the story of her and her brother hiding in a blacksmithing shop to keep warm and that she watched him make something. What it was wasn't important to Fuin, she couldn't help but smile at how.... awestruck Cala sounded at even just seeing that first thing being made, it had been the same for her when she had lived in Eregion and she had visited Ost-in-Edhil convinced by Arasoron and fell in love with the craft as well, and the kindness of the Lord of Eregion was so unlike his forefathers that she had all but forgotten that his relatives had been the reason her parents had died, or had needed to be sent West to heal from the mental grief caused. "Nine was a lot younger than when I fell in love with it." Fuin said, calmly and looked at the forge. "I watched..." She fell silent. "I watched the Lord of Eregion forge a sword, well I think that's what it was he was just starting it and I heard the sound of the anvil ringing and the soft thud of metal and I followed it. The person that had brought me to Ost-in-Edhil was worried about me following it because he knew where I was going before I did and who was there." She said with a chuckle, "He was surprisingly kind and I did not know who he was until well after I was enamored with the idea of working with metal or my friend may have been right about his worry." She said with a chuckle. "He didn't take me on as an apprentice directly but I did get to learn from watching him work with metals and gems."

"So the metal is not the highest grade so you'll want to work fast on this." Fuin said certain that the metal was now ready to work which meant that the head of the coal stoker would be able to be made this time and that they would then be able to make the handle a bit nicer.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered
Calaerdis

September 12, 2615 - TA

Taking the metal from the fire, Cala wondered about the person Fuin had spoken of. "Why was it so surprising that he was kind?" She asked, starting to work on shaping the metal into what she recalled was the right shape. It wasn't terribly hard to work with, being of lesser quality probably, and her main trouble was the fact that her hammer head was so small, being only intended to be used for driving nails into wood. Still, before long the shape began to be noticeable and she glanced back at Fuin. "Is this right?" She asked, wanting to double-check that she had the right tool in mind. It was easy to make, being such a simple shape with a long piece of metal, bent at the end with a flat thing. She'd not really used one of these before but had seen them often enough and knew what they were for.

Once it was confirmed that it was the right shape for a stoker, she smiled a bit in relief. It would have been rather frustrating and disappointing to make it and then find out it was wrong. "What do I do with it now?" She wondered, having always before just stuck the hot metal things into a bucket of water, but somehow she suspected that was not quite right. She had mostly always operated based on what she saw others do, and a lot of guesswork on what was supposed to be done next, so it was quite different to actually learn from someone who was teaching her.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

Fuin shifted as she was asked why the Lord of Eregion was surprising to her. "His family... led the first Kinslaying against my kin, and then two more after that." She said calmly. "I knew I was in his lands, but I did not know him to see him and did not expect to find him in a forge." She said with a chuckle. "I had already fallen in love with forging and wanting to learn when I found out who he was." She said looking over Calas work.

"Yes that's right, before we quench it we're gonna make the handle a bit nicer for us to use." Fuin said and motioned for her to put it back into the forge. "So for the handle what I want you to do. is use the horn of the anvil, and bend it around tightly so that it goes back up the handle. Fuin picked up a piece of coal and drew the design on the wooden bench beside the forge where Cala could see it while she was pumping the bellows making almost D and then curving back up so that the curved part of the handle was tipped down in the same direction as the hooked portion to keep the users hand from sliding forward as well though she had no intention of going through the welding process with this metal there as a chance it would blow out from too much heat. "Once we get the handle done then we will dunk it in the water, this isn't a sword or armor, or something that is going to need to be hardened or tempered like a pin so we don't need to do anything further. Same when we make the shovel." Fuin said calmly. "When we make the hammer I will teach you how to harden the metal." She said. "It will need to be tougher than either of these two pieces."

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis

September 12, 2615 - TA

Cala paused, tilting her head in a bit of surprise about that. Knowing practically nothing at all about history even of the land she lived in, this was absolutely a new thing to be hearing about, for her. She came close to asking about it, but the word 'kinslaying' and against Fuin's kin... that sounded far too close and personal to ask for an explanation on. So she nodded slightly, frowning a bit. "That must have been difficult." She could somewhat imagine, but not entirely, since she didn't really know what all that meant, other than the obvious.

The topic moved back to the tool she was working on, and she nodded a bit, listening as Fuin explained about the handle. "Alright, that sounds like a good idea." She took a few seconds to study the shape Fuin had drawn out, and then nodded, fairly sure she could do this without much trouble. Once the metal had heated enough, she focused very carefully on doing exactly as Fuin had said, and tapped the end down around the curvy part of the anvil, trying to make sure it ended up just like she'd drawn. The end result was very close, though Cala was a bit critical of her own work, it was close enough not to need any correction. "Now the water?" She asked, checking with Fuin on that, before dunking it into the water.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

Fuin nodded absently at the comment that it must have been difficult. It was ever bone in her body had wanted revenge, not for her kin but for her husbands death at the hand of his uncle but that would not have changed his death and she would not have learned what she had learned. She watched as Cala worked on the handle and eventually she had it fully shaped.

"Yes into the water now." She said with a smile and motioned to the quench bucket that was sitting near by. "Shall we make the shovel tonight as well then we can work on the hammer tomorrow?" As the hot metal hissed and steamed in the water by the time they got the shovel metal heated they'd actually be able to use the stoker to move the coals around. Fuin went to find a few more bits of metal the shovel would take a bit more work to do... She found a wider piece of metal that was far too short, the width would make an excellent shovel with a bit of shaping but they'd be able to pinch the rest of the metal and stretch it out to make a decently lengthed handle for the shovel. She handed it to Cala, "Do you know how to pinch and stretch the metal to turn part of that into a handle?" Fuin asked curious if that was something that Cala had done.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis

September 12, 2615 - TA

Watching the metal hiss and sizzle, Cala smiled a bit, feeling a happy sense of accomplishment. So far the first thing she'd made on the new forge seemed to be a success, and she'd done it on her own mostly. Now, for the next item. "Um, I.." She paused, trying to think of what Fuin meant. "There's a few things I've done before, but I don't know if that's what you mean by stretching or pinching." She'd had the disadvantage of not having anyone physically teach her before. The short amount of time she'd worked in a shop with a smith, he'd refused to actually share any 'trade secrets' with her, which was highly frustrating. So all she could do was watch and try to commit to memory the things she'd seen him do.

"I'm sure I can make a shovel though. Just like any smith's shovel, right?" She asked, hoping she'd figured correctly, and hoping to do a good job. After the metal was heated, and she was sure of what she was making, Cala got to work at flattening out the scoop of the shovel however much it needed, and trying to shape it as well as she could, though she wasn't sure exactly what 'pinching' referred to, she did it where it was needed, as this was a simple enough thing that she'd done before. "That.. forge.. if you can call it that.. back at our old home," She mentioned as she worked. "I used to get whatever scrap metals that I could, and I'd try to make tools and things that people around could use, and sell them. I made some shovels and things like that before, since that's the sort of thing people said they could use." She explained.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

Fuin nodded. "Apologies I'm use to people sitting and listening in the forge and being allowed to do so. Don't worry." Fuin said with a reassuring smile," yes just like any smiths shovel. If you've made them before I'm sure you'll figure it out but lets start teaching you the proper terms that way when people question you." Fuin looked at her. "Because they will, and you will need to be better than them and confident - you will be able to put them in their places." Fuin said with a smile. She let Cala do what she wanted to do in terms of making the shovel watching how she did things and letting her do it.

"So, pinching is what it sounds like, you are going to pinch the metal back from how wide and flat it is into a rod part way to make the handle." She said as Cala finishe dup shaping the scoop portion of the shovel itself. "Once you have it pinched back in you will want to stretch it out so that the handle is long enough so that ones hand is far enough away from the coals that you aren't putting your hand over the bed to get to the back of the forge." She said calmly. "Stretching is hiting it so that it pushes the metal in a direction to make it longer." Fuin said sitting and watching Cala work. It had to be exciting for her - her first time using a professional forge and being taught what she was doing was called. She had a feeling that that was what kept her going after having been traveling for the first part of the day.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis

September 12, 2615 - TA

Listening to Fuin, Cala nodded, picturing in her mind what she meant. "Ohh, yes. I have done that, a little anyway." She smiled a bit. "Just like this, right?" She asked, moving to let Fuin see better that she had started to work on doing just that. "It's a little tricky, but I've done it some. I used to make lots of nails to sell, and other little things like that." She worked a bit slower than Fuin probably would have, but eventually got the handle about how she figured it ought to be. "Ok, now what?" She wondered if this would need to have the handle bent back like the stoker, or if it was ready to stick into the water now.

"Do you think people will really come to buy from me?" She asked a little hesitantly, thinking about how people used to disregard her work, before she began claiming her father had made it. Maybe they'd buy things from Fuin, but would they just scoff at Cala like they always did before? She worried about it, and had thought about it off and on over the last week or so, trying to convince herself there was nothing to worry about but she couldn't help thinking about it anyway. The forge was wonderful, far easier to work the metal in since it could get it so nice and hot, but that wouldn't mean much if there were no customers.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

Fuin nodded as she watched Cala do exactly what she told her to do having learned to do it well enough with making nails. "Yes it will get a bit easier with a better hammer and better tongs to hold the metal, but overall it's just practice that makes it easier to do." Fuin said calmly the handle was long enough now. "Quench it, the shovel isn't going to need to have the same sort of handle as the only place we need it to be working into any place is the cold coal pile." She said with a nod.

Cala asked if Fuin thought people would come to buy from her and Fuin sat for a moment. "They won't at first, you're an apprentice, but by the time I am willing to leave you and your brother on your own..." Fuin gave a firm nod. "You will likely be annoyed that I've left you to deal with every order all by yourself as a smith." Fuin said with a chuckle. "You're going to know how to forge as an elf would the only thing you won't be able to do is weave magic into your blades or armor, you will be busy."

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis

September 12, 2615 - TA

Nodding, Cala stuck the shovel into the water, smiling a bit as it hissed and sizzled, steam rising up from the bucket of water. It was a satisfying sound, indicating to her that the project was finished, and she felt that it was a success. Though she was a bit tired, the girl was also eager to keep working, and to make all that she could in this first night. Now that the forge was burning, she didn't want to stop creating things. "Now what?" She asked, eager to make something else. She checked on the stoker, and was pleased to see that it was cool now, and ready to use. Trying to think of something else that would be practical to make, she thought about either a hammer or tongs. "Should I make a hammer now?" She asked, figuring that would be the more practical of the two to make next. Though, she wondered how to go about that, as she'd never actually tried that. She'd already had a hammer, and hadn't thought of making a different one before.

"How would I make a hammer, anyway?" She asked, frowning a bit. "I guess it's got a lot of folding and pinching, and things like that," she mentioned thoughtfully, trying to think how to achieve the shape of a hammer. "I've never done one of those," She glanced at Fuin. "is it hard to make one?" She wouldn't let it stop her, of course, if it was difficult. She welcomed a challenge, especially now that she had a teacher to help her learn all of the things that were kept secret from her before. She nodded thoughtfully at Fuin's answer about the people buying. It made sense, after all, and she hoped it wouldn't take too long for people to learn that she could do the work just as well, if not better, than any man.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

Fuin chuckled, "We are done for the night Cala, you've gotten a lot of work done already for having never gotten to work at a proper forge before and your arms are going to be tired enough from what you've done even if you don't realize it yet." She said as she went and locked the bellows. "Spread to coal out so the fire goes out and we'll go upstairs. We will have to make the hammer tomorrow as well as a set of tongs." The elf woman couldn't fault her for her exuberance at wanting to work and make things but her arm would not keep up if she kept going besides, it was already getting late now the sun had set and the street outside was for the most part quiet as all of the shops had shut.

"It's time for you to sleep, you're arms are going to be plenty tired in the coming days from working, and pressing further tonight won't help you any in the next week when you have to work for the entire day on the bellows or hammering." Fuin said with a smile "And hammers are trickier than shovels or stokers, we need to harden them so that it doesn't bend or deform when we start using it to move metal. So tomorrow you and I will each be making a hammer, you'll be making a flat head, and I will be making as a ball peen hammer which are going to be the two that we use the most in the coming weeks as we get started and I shall tell you everthing you need to know about making a hammer then." Fuin said with a smile as they put away their equipment neatly and locked up all the windows shutters and the door before ascending the stairs.

Rada was still sound asleep - still in his own bed surprisingly enough, probably because he had been so exhausted from travelling, Fuin poured out some water so Cala could wash her face and hands and get the dust and sweat off. "How did it feel to get to forge your first two items?" Fuin asked figuring Cala might need some time to wind down coming off an emotional high of actually getting to forge something.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis

September 12, 2615 - TA

"Oh." Cala was mildly disappointed that they were wrapping it up already. She'd only made two things! She was sure that she could've kept working, she'd done it often enough when it was just her and Radaron, but she wasn't about to argue with Fuin. She laid her hammer down, then hesitated, wondering if there were any sort of things she ought to learn about this. "Is there someplace in particular I should put my tools when I'm done for the night?" She asked. After doing as Fuin said, about spreading the coals out, and whatever she might say about the hammer, she stowed away her protective gear and helped lock up for the night, though vaguely debated not locking the entry, remembering her times as a child looking for a warm place to sleep. But it wasn't cold enough to worry about that, and she locked up.

"What's a ball peen hammer?" She wondered, having never heard that term before. She'd seen a few funny looking hammers but no one had ever really explained their different names or purposes, and so she had always wondered about them. Now, maybe she would finally get to find out some of those answers! She washed up, then grinned. "It felt amazing, I can't wait to make more things tomorrow." She answered, not sure if she'd be able to sleep for all the excitement about having the forge up and running at last. "Will we be making a lot more things tomorrow?" She asked hopefully. "More than just the hammers, I hope?"

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

Fuin motioned to the work bench near the anvil. "That will work for now, eventually we'll be making a took rack so we can hang them closer to the anvil, but for now on the work bench will work." She said with a smile as Cala had questions on what a ball peen hammer was.

"It's a double sided hammer," Fuin said calmly, "one face is similar to the hammer you have though about twice as big and nice and flat. the other side though." She frowned trying to thing of how to explain the other head of a ball peen hammer. "It's like a very big tear drop has been crushed into the otherside of the flat head face. It's round side is used for helping to create rounded shapes for armor and everything else like that." She said making a motion with her hand drawing the rough shape in the air to help Cala understand what she meant. She had no doubt she'd seen that sort of hammer before she just didn't know what it was actually called. "And yes we'll be making more than hammers, we'll be making at least one more set of tongs, and the tongs that you made will be getting reworked." Fuin said with a smile.

"I think we'll be making a chisel punch as well, and then if we can a file. That will get us most of the tools we need and you'll learn how to harden items as well as how to temper items. " Fuin said with a smile "Eventually I'm sure you'll learn about annealing as well but it's not that important as an apprentice it's something you need to learn as a smith which is a few steps away." She said with a smile.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis

September 12, 2615 - TA

Listening as Fuin described the hammer, Cala tried to picture it in her head. She had seen a great deal of hammers in the various blacksmith shops she'd been in, and nodded slowly as she was pretty sure she had seen one of those a few times. "I didn't know the different kinds of hammers had different names. I've seen all sorts of them before.. I wonder what the rest are called?" She murmured the last part softly to herself. The mention of reworking her tongs surprised her, as she had figured they might just make new ones and toss the old ones aside. She was, in a way, glad to hear it, because she'd had them for a few years now. In fact, she recalled that it was a pair she'd made at her first forge, the ruins of which Fuin had seen not too long ago.

"A chisel punch?" She wondered, then smiled a little, digging into her little stash of tools. "Is that what this is?" She asked, holding up a slightly misshapen tool she had made some time back. It had seen a bit of use and she'd tried to straighten it back up each time it got a little bent, but it was still usable, she thought. Hoping perhaps that already having such a tool would help their progress to go a bit quicker, she felt a bit excited at the thought of already having one. "I don't have a file though," She added regretfully. "Never could figure out quite how to make one of those." She sighed, disappointed, but brightened again. She would be learning how.. tomorrow! "I can't wait for tomorrow." She grinned. "I can't wait to see what all we'll have made by the end of the day."

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
September 13 th, 2615 - TA
@Rillewen

Fuin looked at the punch as Cala held up the item in her hand, it looked like a punch but it didn't seem right, it looked like it was bent and misshaped. She frowned looking at it. "That looks like the good start to a chisel, but it looks like it's bent a few times" She said calmly, "We'll look at making it into a proper chisel punch as well as all of the other things we'll be making, but you need to sleep first." With that Fuin shooed Cala to bed and went to sleep herself. The comfort of the bed was fantastic when they were out looking for the coal she had slept very little she'd been watching and making sure they were all safe, since she couldn't expect either of them to take a watch. She was certain Cala was going to have a much harder time sleeping than she was, and soon Fuin was sound asleep

The morning came early and Fuin was up early to make breakfast for the three of them bread, and eggs and milk and a bit of bacon. She was certain the smell of food would have the two of them up and out of bed, after all there was something about the smell of bacon cooking that had a tendency to perk most people up. The milk arrived shortly after she began cooking and she brought the bottle in and looked over their pantry, mostly because they'd taken a fair bit of the stores on their 6 day trip, so they would need to replace a good amount of it. Though soon they would be able to make some money in the forge creating items for people, they would need to make another plate, perhaps rework the dishes that they already had so that they would be nicer so that one of them, her mostly did not have to eat out of the hot pot that the cooking was done in.

She knew they would need to get some better metal stock for some of their projects today so she would order groceries and have them delivered, Rada would be able to stay home while her and Cala went to get the metal - something that Fuin wanted Cala to learn. Where to get metal the differences between the types of metal that she would be working with and how much was needed in order to do what they would be doing. The metal they would be getting would make their work easier to do today in terms of making the hammers and the files as well as the tongs as it would be able to be tempered and hardened far faster than the soft and mild metals that had been brought by Rada that they would make into other items. Perhaps Fuin thought they would go to where they could get coal as well as they would be needing a lot more of it to do all the projects that they had so that Cala would know where to get that as well.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 13, 2615 - TA

Despite being so excited, Cala was quite tired and fell asleep fairly quickly, as well as sleeping soundly. Radaron, of course, was of course up almost as soon as Fuin, having gone to bed much earlier. He bounced around, eagerly asking all sorts of questions, wondering if they might be going back to get more of the black rocks soon, and hoping maybe they could find more of the bobcats and take home a kitten.. not realizing, of course, how big a bobcat cub would be. After hearing a no to that question, he was a little disappointed, but then asked about whether he'd be back to going around getting metal pieces and telling everyone about the new forge, and wondered how much longer until it was open.. had it been two weeks yet, or did they still have to wait some more, and on and on his questions went.

Cala eventually woke up, mostly hearing Radaron's excited voice asking a multitude of questions. She smiled faintly, listening and put off getting up just yet.. it would be sort of nice to have a few minutes before she had to deal with Radaron's insatiable curiosity. Too bad they wouldn't have any sort of job for him that would occupy his mouth for the rest of the day. Maybe they could send him on some errand or something. Otherwise, he may just sneak off to find someone to play with, which would be fine since then she wouldn't have to constantly answer his questions.

At last, she stretched and got up, getting dressed before she ventured out of her room. "You're going to question her ears off, Little Brother." She laughed. "Give her a few moments to breathe between answers, will you?" She teased him, ruffling his hair a little. "Good morning, Fuin." She smiled. "Can I help with breakfast or anything? It smells wonderful."
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

Rada was of course the first of them to wake up, not entirely shocking to her as he had gone to bed far earlier than Cala had. And then the bombardment of questions from the young boy. Of course he still wanted a bob-cat, this time Fuin simply said no that they wouldn't be able to safely keep a large cat in the city, and that she had no plans on going and finding a bobcat mother and orphaning it's young for him to have a pet. That they would get a normal cat possibly if they were to get anything but that would be later.

She then explained it had not yet been two weeks and that she had a task for him today that was very important for them. He looked excited about that but when he was told he was going to be in charge of receiving deliveries that would be arriving while she and Cala went out so she could teach Cala about metals, and coal suppliers in Minas Tirith itself he groaned asking if he really had to. She said yes that it was something that would help her a lot as well as Cala, and that afterwards she would start teaching him how to do math and writing so that he could help in the forge itself with people coming in in the next few days as they would be opening soon. That seemed to make him happy that he would be in the forge with her and Cala when they were in there. It was then that Cala woke up and joined them and she laughed at her comment about questioning her ears off. "Glad you're awake, it means we'll be able to do our errands and be back before too long." She said pushing a plate towards Cala, "Breakfast is done aside from you eating. Rada and I will do the dishes and then you and I are going and learning about metal suppliers and coal suppliers here."

She looked at Rada and gave a smile. "And the sooner we do all of that the sooner you can join us in the forge, and the sooner we can get to opening and you can get to work of telling more people and selling the goods that both your sister and I will be making."

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 13, 2615 - TA

"What errands?" Cala wondered, a little confused as she thought they were going to be making hammers and things today. She hurried through eating breakfast, eager to get on with forge related things. Metal and coal sounded like good things to learn about, but she did wish they could have gotten more coal from the cave to bring back with them. She had a feeling there would be another place where they could get it from, more local, since going six or so days' journey each time would be rather tiresome and they'd probably have to keep a fairly good supply of coal. Plus, the other blacksmiths around didn't know about the cave, so they must get it from somewhere. She used to just smuggle a few pocketfuls of cold coals out of the other smith's shop, before... she had felt bad for technically stealing it, but had no idea, before, how else to get any.

Finishing her breakfast, Cala took her plate and went to wash it, listening as Radaron talked how he had to stay and take deliveries today. She had a feeling he'd rather be running off to play, but they were in the second circle now, where he didn't know anyone. So more than likely, he wouldn't have anyone to play with and they needn't worry about that. "Won't he need to sign for that sort of thing?" She wondered, glancing at Fuin, and a little unsure whether that would work, as she doubted Radaron could manage a signature, as he wasn't so good with his letters yet.
"Aren't we supposed to have another tart today?" Radaron asked hopefully, perhaps more with wishful thinking than anything.
"You don't need anymore tarts," Cala told him, rolling her eyes. "We got some yesterday, remember?"
"But that was yesterday." He pouted.
"It was, and no one said anything about getting any sweets for today. So stop expecting to have sweets and things every day. It wouldn't be as special then, if you did, anyway."
"Aww." He frowned, pouting for a moment, then cheered up slightly as another idea occurred to him. "Can we have sweets once a week?" He asked hopefully.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

"No no one needs to sign for anything as it's mostly going to be groceries since we took a lot of our dried foods with us on the trip to get the coal. And I can tell them that there will be a young boy at the house to make sure the delivery is there." Fuin said calmly, Cala and Rada were not use to having enough money to have the luxury of not needing all sorts of proofs and checks that things were happening "And no we won't be getting tarts today, I'm not sure if we'll do once a week either, I've spoiled you with them recently but we will be slowing down a bit with the tarts though if we have something to celebrate we certainly can have tarts then as I think the two of you have had plenty of new things to celebrate these last few weeks." Fuin said with a smile.

"Alright Cala let's go we have to get the metals to make the hammers and files today." She said and gave Rada a pat on the head as Cala got ready to head out. "Once the delivery has been made then you can go run around and explore the Second circle." This of course made Rada happy "But be home for noon as we'll be back and working by then." Fuin said calmly glancing out the window at the warm pink stain that covered the second circle from the sunrise. "You'll be learning your letters and numbers while Cala learns how to harden and temper items." Fuin opened the door and motioned to Cala and they slipped out into the street. The Second Circle was bustling already with shops that were just about to open.

"The other reason I wanted Rada to stay home is that I'm going to teach you the password to get in and out of the second circle to the first which is where we'll be getting the coal, and then we'll also be heading up to the third level as that's where you need to get the metal from, but first lets get some groceries so they can be delivered before too long.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis and Radaron

September 13, 2615 - TA

Feeling quite relieved that Fuin agreed with her on the tart matter, Cala smiled a bit and hoped that would be good enough to keep Radaron from whining about it. "You stay here then, and only once you've finished your job can you go play." She reminded him, a little worried he might sneak out anyway. "Remember, it's very important that we have someone here to take the deliveries."
"I know." Radaron answered, expecting to be very bored for a while. And then to have to do more letters and things after that.. ultimate boredom!

Cala was still slightly worried about it as she set out with Fuin, a little surprised to find out that she was going to be learning the passwords. "I thought you had to be an adult to know that." She mentioned, intrigued by this new development. Though, it did make sense to have her know the password so she could get the supplies she needed. She wondered what she might have done without Fuin coming along, and felt even more glad she'd met the elf. Cala had no idea how to ever repay her for all she'd done for them, but she intended to try someday, somehow.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

Fuin shrugged. "You are old enough to know the passwords, to the first two gates, I wouldn't teach you further ones, you shouldn't need them, though if you are wounded you should know that you can ask to be taken to the Houses of healing on the sixth level and a guard will take you there swiftly." Fuin and Cala slipped into a small shop for groceries. Fuin picked out more dried fruit and meat to be delivered, as well as more eggs, as well as fresh vegetables and potatoes. She paid for it and its delivery and they were on to the next stop which was in the First level. They headed through the winding streets of the first level until they were well away from where she had found Cala. They made it to a small store house towards the far side of the first circle. She had come here before when only a few times but knew that the coal here had previously been excellent.

The shop keep was an old man who looked at her with narrow eyes and then smiled. "Fuin!" The elf nodded. "It's been a while since you were here!"

"It has, I have a young apprentice here that needs to learn about coal and couldn't think of anyone better than you to teach her." The old man looked over the young woman and then at Fuin and then at the young woman and waved her to follow him.

"You'd best be buying some coal from me for these lessons!" He called and Fuin laughed.

"If you insist!"

"Right girl, so first thing you need to know is the best coal for this is soft coal that doesn't produce a lot of smoke or sulfur." He looked at her, "You know what sulfur is right?"

"IF you start making fart jokes with my apprentice I'll thump you over your wrinkly head." Fuin called hearing the conversation well enough.

"Bloody elven hearing can't make even a single fart joke in front of that one." The older man said with grumble.

"I heard that too."

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis

September 13, 2615 - TA
Minas Tirith - First Circle

Cala looked around as she followed Fuin along through the streets. She'd wandered around here often enough during the last few years, but it felt different now, dressed in nicer clothes and no longer just an orphan girl with nowhere to go. She was an apprentice and had a home, and a forge, and everything, now, and was surprised how different everything seemed to look now, after only a little more than a week being away from this part of the city. She walked along with Fuin, feeling a bit like a different person.

She'd only been to this area a few times, and hadn't lingered as it didn't seem like there was really much to hold her interest. Perhaps Radaron would have been more familiar with it, as he seemed to run around and play everywhere that he could. Perhaps even places he shouldn't, but Cala had been a little too busy trying to get them enough money to live on, to worry about where her brother was playing. As she listened to Fuin talking with the man, Cala was a little bit unsure how to reply. She did not actually know what sulfur was, as she'd never heard anyone speak about that before, but didn't really want to admit that, as it was probably something she should know. So she just smiled slightly and hoped he wouldn't keep asking her questions like that. Especially since Fuin said not to make certain jokes, for which she was glad.

"Um... I didn't know there were different..hardnesses and such, with coal." She mentioned after a moment, curious about that, and hoping to draw the topic back to the coal. "Where do you get it, and how do you know whether it's the good kind or not, I mean, before you dig it up or something.. or.. however you get it." She wondered if her and Radaron's coal cave was normal for finding coal. "I.. I know someone told me once that you can chop down a tree, cover it in dirt, and then light it on fire, and it'll turn into coal? I.." She paused, suddenly wondering if that smith who'd told her that had been telling her something crazy, for a joke or something. "Is that true?" She wondered, feeling glad she'd found that cave, instead of proceeding to try that plan, as it might have proved rather dangerous, now that she thought about it.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

The old man nodded. "Fine fine, sulfur is what makes it smell like rotting eggs really foul smelling stuff. Also makes it so the coal isn't so good for smithing, miserable elf ruining my fun." The old man said as he lead Cala back to the coal stores which were just around the corner. and picked up a piece of coal from one stall and then another from the next as he'd turned an old horse stable into his shop which made keeping the coal separate from each other easily enough, the first was glassy and hard the second was sort of dusty looking.

"Neither of these have sulfur in them but the glassy looking one, it's better for heating homes it doesn't get as hot and it doesn't coke the same way the soft one does. It's stuff you can generally find on the surface, the smithing coal must be dug out from under ground." He said with a smile. "If someone tries to sell you the glassy stuff as smithing coal they're dirty rotten liars. He said leading her back out to the front. He frowned slightly as she asked if would could be turned into coal.

"No. Well not quite, it can be used for smithing but it isn't coal. It becomes charcoal and charcoal coke which is the white version of embers - the coke from charcoal can get almost as hot as coal and can be used interchangeably but it takes a lot of wood to do, it's part of why the forests never grew back after Numenor stopped with their ship building here. We started using it for charcoal until we started finding coal." The old man said with a smile.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis

September 13, 2615 - TA

Cala listened with interest, taking a good look at the different kinds of coal, taking careful notice of the difference, and nodded slightly. She was glad the stuff she'd found in her cave had been the good kind, otherwise her forge would have probably been a failure and she'd have been highly disappointed, back then. She briefly wondered how things might have turned out, if that had happened.

Hearing what he said about the tree thing left her feeling a bit frustrated and annoyed at that man who had told her that. She tried to recall what exactly the man had told her, but she couldn't remember word for word. Only that she'd asked where coal came from, and how to get it, and he'd answered with that nonsense tale. And she'd believed it. Furthermore, she couldn't remember if he called it coal or charcoal, and back then she wouldn't have known the difference anyway. "That liar." She mumbled under her breath, irritated.

Turning back to the man, Cala smiled slightly. "Thank you sir, for telling me about the coal. I wish I'd known you were here years ago." The smith she'd worked for for a while must have known, he must get his coal from here, yet he'd never told her that. He was so intent on keeping his smith secrets to himself, she guessed, that he wouldn't even tell her where he bought his coal from. Looking around for Fuin, she smiled a bit. "How much are we going to need?" She wondered, as this part of it was all new to her, especially for a forge the size of theirs.

High Lord of Imladris
Fuin
@Rillewen

"We will be needing a fair bit." She said calmly, "If we can get two sacks of coal today delivered to this address." Fuin said writing the address of the shop down "After that we'll be needing a sack a week at least." The old man smiled.

"Always a pleasure to have the business of the elves even if they are taking over our fair city."

"Don't worry eventually you'll be dealing with Cala alone. Though I promise I'll teach her to thump you if you make fart jokes." Fuin said with a laugh and the man smiled and nodded to Cala.

"Hurry up and learn will ya? An elf will drive every other blacksmith in this town out of business." Fuin stopped as he said that and a wicked smile appeared on her face. "Do you know the Flame and Hammer smith here in the first Circle?" She asked and the old man nodded his head. "You should charge him more for coal, he's rude and a liar." The old man snorted.

"Cut throat as ever."

"He insulted me. You might as well make money on him now, I have every single intention of actually driving that one and only that one out of business." She said calmly and the man nodded.

"We'll see thanks for the warning, good thing you're ordering more coal than him already - I'll have the coal to you a little after noon." With that Fuin gave a nod and the two of them slipped out of the coal store house and head back for the gate to the second circle.

"Your turn to get us through the second gate, and then we'll head straight for the Third circle." Fuin said with a smile "The sooner we get to the smelter the sooner we can make all the items we are wanting."

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
Calaerdis

September 13, 2615 - TA

Cala grinned slightly as she heard Fuin suggest charging that mean smith extra. "He is also dishonest and mean." She mentioned, recalling how she had seen him deal with some customers in the past, as well as how he had refused to accept her as an apprentice after he had already said she had the job.. simply because he recognized her. She waved at the coal salesman with a smile as they left, and grinned slightly as she walked with Fuin. "Do you think he'll do it? Charge him extra?" She wondered, hoping so. He deserved that. Maybe they could talk the metal sales person into doing the same, and wondered if Fuin already had that in mind.

As she arrived at the gate, she paused to recall the password she'd been told, and gave it upon being asked. It was a nice feeling to be able to get through on her own, now she would be able to come and go on her own if needed. "You said we have to go to the third level to get the metal?" She asked, wondering if she'd get to learn that password as well. She figured it could go either way. One, maybe she'd have to wait a bit til she was older to know that one. But on the other hand, if she knew the password, she could go herself to get metal and things, if they needed it. Unless, of course, Fuin intended to have that delivered, like the coal. She figured she'd find out when they got there.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.