Houses of Healing OOC (planning, etc.)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
High Warden of Tower
<some fancy picture coming at a later point maybe?>

Yes, this is just as it is written in the title: a place for discussing any plans pertaining to Houses of Healing.

<more serious introductions later maybe?>

Dúnadan
Oh yay! Don't ask me for help on images. You don't want to know how long it A) took me to find and B) figure out how to add the image I did when I opened the pub thread.

So first questions first.... do we want a structured Houses of Healing with ranks and training for the healers (obviously all patients welcome), none at all, you just show up like a loose rp thread (even the healers), something like a guild or something in the middle of any of those options?

Looking for all Gondorian opinions! (And please voice one!!)

Also, the Houses of Healing have historically been integral in how certain Gondorians have developed their characters, and as a kingdom, our members are pretty passionate about and protective of the characters they build. If this is you, what parts/etc are instrumental for rest of us or those who shall later become the powers that be (not me) to keep or make sure are included in this reincarnation?

And....if you are wanting to be involved in the House of Healing, is there any particular role everyone is interested in and how likely are you to be active in it?

Lastly....historically, the Houses of Healing has gone through some very inactive phases. What do you think would keep it fresh and interesting?

Personally ~ For the first part, I hate training posts, and I'm not keen on official ranks, but I kind of like the idea of healers learning from one another and having some kind "moving up" system. Which is completely unhelpful, because I can't logically figure out any way to achieve that. Secondly, my character can work with whatever incarnation we decide to open up, so I'm good with whatever y'all come up with. Next question, I'm not interested in running any threads or stories, but I'd love to be a part of them, just a regular old healer who actively posts. Lastly...I'm gonna have to think creatively about that, lol.

I'm curious to see how everyone else is feeling!

Master Torturer
I know I am not Gondorian, so forgive me for my input, though I would very much like to take part in HoH when it gets up and running, hence my 2 cents :P

I dont think anyone should be going all out with old rank systems and long training sessions atm. Keep in mind we are so far all returning members and not new ones and I doubt many of us have the drive to start from scratch (could just be me). Of course this can change, once we move to the new server and we start attracting actual new members, though for now it would be cool if we could just open the HoH and people could post as a patient or their old role and we could just get some rp'ing done to get back into it? Then if it gathers the interest that requires more structure, we can always add that?

I did manage to find the old thread if you wanted the images or the wordings https://web.archive.org/web/20050207025 ... ?house=115

Khazad Elder
And to add to Wendy’s post i also found the old house of healing house from when the plaza had houses. Here is the url: https://web.archive.org/web/2004041110 ... ?house=115

Hope that helps! And I will probably not be super involved with the House of Healing so I dont get much of a say in the matter, but too recommend keeping it simple at first and then adding titles and ranks as you find out how many people want to be involved. Dont build too big of a framework if there isn’t going to be a lot of interest, but leave room for growth. Just my two cents. :smiley11:

High Warden of Tower
I have saved a newer HoH opening post in my files, so it can also be modified as needed:

High up on the levels of the White City, near the Citadel Gate in the sixth circle there is a cluster of bigger and smaller buildings. These are the Houses of the Healing where the citizens and the visitors of Minas Tirith may find cure and treatment for their ailments.

The closest facility to the street is the reception – a short hallway from the entrance leads down to a room modestly furnished with a small table and several chairs made of the dark brown wood. There are some writing utensils and a piece of parchment on the table, as well as a small vase with flowers that adds a touch of quiet beauty and peace to the room. Also a couple of books are found on a shelf at the wall, within easy reach.

From the reception area the door leads to the rooms of treatment, where the patients are receiving the first necessary care. Each room contains a large table for treatment purposes, a bed, a couple of chairs and two smaller tables. There are shelves and cabinets along the walls, containing the healers’ equipment and medicines necessary for the work.

Not far from the Reception room there is a spacious study. A rather large round table stands in the midst of the room. Some writing utensils and parchments have found a resting place on it. The wall to the right of the door is completely covered with bookshelves filled with books holding the wealth of medical knowledge necessary for the deepened learning of the healers. From there the door leads further into the quarters of the healers and the storage rooms.

The patients in need of a longer treatment are housed in other buildings. The rooms are made as comfortable and cosy as possible, the windows allowing in the light and facing the surrounding gardens. Each bed is covered with fresh white linens and a pair of soft pillows is set upon it. The nightstand at the head of the bed has enough space for the most necessary things. A chair stands close to the bed for the needs of the attending staff or the visitors.

Around the Houses of Healing is a garden with the paths leading among the trees, herbs and flowerbeds. There are wooden benches here and there where patients can relax and allow the peace and calmness of the garden to soothe them. The garden lies close to the southward wall of the City, providing a beautiful view on the flats below, the Anduin flowing through it with the blue waters glittering in the sun, and the green woods of Southern Ithilien beyond it.

Thread guidelines

All general RPG rules apply.
Post your location on the top of your post.
White out your out of character comments.
Posts over 300 characters preferred.

Healer training

Post in the reception asking to be trained.
The training will consist of:
5 basic tasks to perform
5 tasks assisting the healer/herbalist
5 “examination” tasks with the healer/herbalist evaluating

Locations

Reception
Treatment rooms
Recovery rooms
Garden
Healer quarters: apothecary, study, storage etc

Windy, you might be a minion, but I tend to agree that perhaps a strict training system would not be the best, and any training could easily be done by simple RP.

Though perhaps some system that is not so strict could be invented. What do you think, Durien?

Scholar of Gondor
I'd definitely like to be involved in this, even in an advisory position, perhaps? Findy has always been a healer/apothecarist/herbalist - and I really did learn a lot researching, writing and RPing for this during my years in Minas Tirith, both with the Rangers, Training Grounds, Basic Training and the Apothecary in the Marketplace. When we tried to revive the Plaza a few years ago, I jumped in all gung-ho to work with the Elves (Findy's mother was Elvish) on their healing houses & gardens. Then, that Plaza blew up as well, so I was left holding the medical bag (I'm so hilarious). Anyway, I'm available for whatever. :smiley22:

High Warden of Tower
Wouldn't the Houses need a healer, Findy? I'd line up as a patient if you were a healer. :smiley8:

Khazad Elder
@Daeryn Talaith That thread looks awesome! Personally love the written description a lot! And fun! I think 5 tasks is fair, and people can always post more if they choose and take longer per task. Seems like a fare way of doing things!

Scholar of Gondor
@Daeryn Talaith - Would each 5 tasks be in one post? I've seen it done that way before and it gave more interest to each post - the person could move around to different things, rather than just write one task each time for each individual post. Forgive me if I'm poking my nose in too much. Findy has kept a herbal journal for a couple of Ages (lol) - I'm acting like she's a real person and I have nothing to do with any of this. Also, the HoH used to pretty much take place all inside the HoH, which maybe made posting less creative sometimes.

It would be nice to take a healer along on some "Ranger" (or whatever we'll call them now) missions, etc. I like to imagine there's a little bit of magic involved in healing (you know, like Aragorn's spit to get the herbs "activated" before applying - he'd have to wear a facemask now :smiley16: ). I've got a copy of Culpeper's Complete Herbal, written in the 1600s and it's difficult not to laugh at some of the medicines they concocted, though it is a really fun and interesting read.

I'm still digging through my years of RPGs & lists of herbal healing plants, etc. This may take awhile. :smiley9:

High Warden of Tower
Suppose the tasks could be adjusted as needed? Having them in separate posts didn't work too well, but then again - maybe a task could be setting out on a mission, or going to see a patient at home or something like that - then it could take many posts.

Findy, also, I kept Linaiwe (I think she was your NPC a long time ago) active through the years. :smiley10:

Another thought on training - before the plaza broke, we started a bit on having soldiers do some basic first aid stuff at HoH. Wonder if that would work somehow, or not.

Oro, suppose the training and the tasks could be made flexible - they didn't work too well when used as set in stone.

All the planning makes me eager to start actual posting... :smiley9:

Master Torturer
Would there be room to just RP in the HoH? Say just to add flavour to their character, but not wanting to actually be a healer?

My biggest concern is time, and I know y'all are used to waiting a bit for yours here in MT lol, but maybe that is one thing we can improve on? People are eager to post, so maybe just get something going for now and then as more join, then add some structure to it? Cause if it doesnt get any busier than this, then we arent really going to need a complicated structure, right now we just need a few familiar spots to start rp'ing again as we have been deprived for at least 2 years :P

High Warden of Tower
And whysoever there wouldn't be room to just RP? ;)

Scholar of Gondor
@Pele Alarion! I didn't realize that was you! *shakes head to move dust around in brain* :smiley16: I had to go through and re-read everything for it to make sense! I'm happy to help in any way needed. It's been such a long time that I've written anything. Oh, that's funny you kept that NPC alive all that time. Once I flew over to Valinor, my mind got taken over with Administrative duties (which I didn't mind), but I kept trying to tear myself in two or four or seventeen! Then we moved house - countries, in fact - from the UK to the USA back in 2012 and I became a full-time carer for my Mother in Law for five years.

I just hit "Plaza" in a search of my old files and boy was that a walk down memory lane. Once I get some kind of image storage thingy I can start filling it up with all of those treasures. :smiley22:

High Warden of Tower
I got a good chuckle out of playing a stranger who has all sorts of information. Meant only to peek in under the cover, but well... ended up diving for it. Planning to return properly, and didn't want to be stuck under a different name permanently.

I only have a few things saved, but might do a bit of treasure hunt too.

Master Torturer
Pele Alarion wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:17 pm And whysoever there wouldn't be room to just RP? ;)
Lol well I meant, without having to train to be a healer or was I misreading the suggested top post? :smiley14:

High Warden of Tower
Hmm. If it is not clear, perhaps it should be written in the opening post that people can just post their stories there.

High Warden of Tower
@Findy
@Durien
Any ideas for improvement of the opening post for HoH? I figure a thread could be put up, and we can decided on the go who wants to do what?

Scholar of Gondor
I think it looks great how it is. We could have one or two NPC's in each treatment area/garden so that if people just want to come in an RP going to the HoH, they can RP the NPC's getting them settled or showing them around. If they need something specific, one of us could just jump in. We can tweak it as we go along if needed. It can all be open plan with lots of fresh air even, so there's not so much having to describe things (I mean for folks coming in)? What say you? @Durien @Pele Alarion

High Warden of Tower
I suppose there would be quite a lot of people working there, so NPCs would do great. :D Perhaps I could then make a thread a bit later, unless one of you wants to?

Also, anyone interested in doing some healer work? Pele might need a bit of checkup, before she can get to work herself...

Scholar of Gondor
:smiley22: I'd be happy to post it up tomorrow (Monday). I think color coding each room/area will work nicely as well (people post in the color of the area they're in). I think we've done that before. I'm in bed checking my phone right now - it's easier to post from my PC.

High Warden of Tower
Colours would definitely be nice. :) It'd be great if you did post it, too!

I'm eating my burned breakfast (because I was browsing the plaza and forgot it was cooking), and getting ready for work...

Scholar of Gondor
:smiley13: Sorry about your burnt breakfast, @Pele Alarion. I've done the same thing. Okay, Houses of Healing OC is posted. If anyone notices any mistakes, mind your own beeswax! Just kidding, let me know if you see any goofs. You know how it is: you stare at a post long enough, there could be a glaring mistake that you didn't notice even if you've read it 10 times!

New Soul
@Finduilas Faelivrin, HoH looks great! I like the colour coding for various areas of them. I might nab that idea for putting up the combined army threads.
they/he/mischief

New Soul
Hello, hello everyone!
I see the House of Healing are up and running, but I was wondering do you still have a place for another tortoise like healer from ancient times? :-) I come bearing history books about the Middle Ages and every day lives during the afore mentioned period (although I did my thesis about another time period, but the Middle Ages remain something I dabble in regardless and I digress :D ) and early modern times and a lot of random facts that I managed to retain in my brain from my history classes at uni. :-)

High Warden of Tower
Nessaaaa! So great to see you, Turin said you might return; and you would be most welcome to post whenever you have time. :smiley8:

Scholar of Gondor
@Nessa Saelind you are a Gondorian after my own heart. :smiley17: @Pele Alarion I wonder if we could squeeze a BIG BOOK OF MEDICINAL HERBS (or something Gondorian-ish) someplace on the Plaza or in MT? It seems like we had one on the Plaza someplace many Ages ago - maybe it was back when we had Houses (remember that?). People would put their suggestions in posts below and whoever created the OP would edit them into that. Hmm, I think last time it got kind of out of hand because there wasn't any rhyme or reason to how they were organized. They could be added (like our character studies). I'd suggest this and then when they're added to the OP they could be alphabetized (and keep it simple):

Name of herb/tonic/tisane/mixture:
What it can be used for (both medicinal and cooking, and keep it simple):
Where in Middle-earth can it be found:
Any growing/mixing tips:

Any volunteers? I'm pretty good at organizing, but I don't want to grab all the good spots. :smiley16:

This could be handy for any sort of ailments in the Houses of Healing, Apothecary, and military RPGs. I have a few drawings I did back in the day that could be added. I used mostly plants indiginous to the UK, since Middle-earth is meant to be a pre-history of the UK. Other Kindgoms could borrow or add anything they'd like.

High Warden of Tower
Findy, it sounds something like a MIddle-Earth Central we used to have, though that contained much more info, not only on herbs. This would probably deserve a separate thread and not being stuck somewhere among other things, right? I might set something up when I get rid of the big text I'm supposed to finish in... 5.5 hours (oh my, the Plaza keeps distracting me from it).

New Soul
Thanks for the very warm welcome Pele, Findy *big hugs*

Re @Finduilas Faelivrin Big book of medicinal herbs herbs, spices and other things not native to the British Isles could be included. After all there was trade between the British Isles and rest of Europe and the Middle East during the whole medieval period via the Italian city sates, the Iberian peninsula and even Eastern Adriatic communes. So there's no reason we can't apply that concept to Middle Earth and use some more "exotic" plants or spices (primarily spices). Especially since Gondor is at peace in the 4th age and trade is stabilised. Of course we shouldn't go ham on the "exotic" spices, they'd still be terribly expensive, but they could be worked in from time to time if needed :-)
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Scholar of Gondor
@Nessa Saelind and @Pele Alarion This morning I was going through my PC files trying to find my herb drawings. I found a few, but there are more someplace. I came across a very comprehensive list of herbs (mostly medicinal). It's already in alphabetical order. I must have saved it from another list someplace. It needs a bit of tweaking for typos, but I'm happy to do that. I won't post it anywhere yet. Some herbs are listed, but not described, so that can happen later. I also found another list that I did (must have done as I was RPing the Apothecary way back when). Anyway, I'll work on combining them and fill in what I can.

Nessa, I love you, by the way... :smiley17: :smiley16: I also have The Encyclopedia of Herbs and Spices, which is a BIG book filled with wonderful photographs. I got that in the UK (published in London), but it also includes what we'd call "costly imports" in Minas Tirith (or something like that). I used some of the photos to make drawings. Anyway, there's a nice project for us! How would you like to go with Findy (and probably @Nienna) to pick herbs? She's super knowledgeable and fun as well. We can use that Minas Tirith, Pelennor, The Northern Fiefdoms (Free RP). Gather up your baskets and jars and some twine....

New Soul
Findy - I'd have to brush up on my herbology :D and not to mention that I have to finish polishing my character bio that I was supposed to post sometime today, but I got swamped with work, meetings and adding more history books to my never ending to read pile :smiley16: Other that that :D count me in! :-)
She/her.

New Soul
I am game, @Finduilas Faelivrin and @Nessa Saelind . In RL I have a garden (and soon-ish a green house, too, yay) and I know my herbs, when I see them. Count me in and summon me, when ready. And, btw, this weekend (hopefully) a gardening thread will be opened in Fangorn, so...yay, more fun to read and/or participate!

High Warden of Tower
Nienna! :smiley17:

*sits back and observes the gathering of herb-lore specialists contentedly*

New Soul
We are like the Ents, slow to gather, but when we gather we talk shop from dusk to dawn :smiley9:
She/her.

Scholar of Gondor
And we don't say anything unless it takes a VERY long time to say it! Speaking of taking a long time to say something, I've been going through an reading the history of Findy's parents and family that I wrote over 10 years ago, back in the days of 3000+ loquacious word posts (over 32 in this one story). My behind is sore from sitting at the computer (and enlarging the font on each page so these old eyes can keep up). I'm still trying to figure out what parts of Findy and that myriad of NPCs I want to keep, if any. :smiley16:

Master Torturer
Anyone available to help my npc out in HoH? I dont know who is healer or not :P

High Warden of Tower
@Finduilas Faelivrin? @Nessa Saelind? If not, I might just have to dust off Linaiwe. :D

New Soul
@Winddancer I got you *hugs* I'm at work now, but when I get home I'll get to erm well work :smiley9: hopefully it will be coherent and cohesive (famus last words) by 6 PM (GMT+1) :D
She/her.

Master Torturer
Yay! Thanks! <3

Scholar of Gondor
:smiley9: Hey guys! I've been having severe stabbing pain in my shoulder/neck for several days and trying to find something natural or unnatural to help. My daughter suggested Turmeric and Peppermint, and I've been using both of those - Turmeric by mouth and peppermint topically. Still severe pain. I think it's from using my phone. I need to go to the Houses of Healing - I wish it was real (but then I wouldn't have a smart phone). :smiley16: I just didn't want you to think I've been ingnoring you. I'll keep checking in. Have a great day!

@Winddancer @Pele Alarion @Nessa Saelind @Nienna

Master Torturer
Sorry to hear that Findy! Hope you feel better soon! I recommend a chiropractor as it sounds like a pinched nerve. Or get some heat rub and have someone massage it for you.

Dúnadan
Actually, there may be an exercise that could relieve your pain, Findy. Lay on your back with arms straight out, palms down. Then, one arm a time, bend your elbow to raise your hand in the air until your elbow is at a ninety degree angle, then rotate your hand and try to press your hand to the floor while keeping your elbow bent at ninety degrees. You shouldn’t encounter any resistance if your ligaments and muscles are loose and pliable and you should be able to rest your palm on the floor. If not, don’t force through the tension, just try to relax and go as far as you can. In any case this exercise relaxes the shoulder and ligaments around the base of the neck, and releases pressure on the rotator cuff. I’m not a physical therapist, but using this method daily helped me avoid major surgery when my ligaments started calcifying over (basically turning ligament to bone...yes, it’s as creepy and unsettling as it sounds). In any case, she told me modern technology means people are developing more and more issues around the muscles in their shoulders. So if it is strain from a phone, this a good one to use to relax and take the strain out. I also used heated rice bags to add pressure weight and heat, which also helps.

New Soul
Findy - first of all get well soon *hugs* and secondly I (well) second :lol: the above suggestions. And if you're near a body of water or a swimming pool, and of course if quarantine measures allow this where you are now (quarantine in Croatia is over, we are back to normal, I don't know what stage other countries are at), you should definitely swim it's really good for your back and neck. Before COVID I used to go swimming every other day, did a kilometre or thereabouts, my back and neck were grateful, especially since I'm at my desk all the time at work.
She/her.

Scholar of Gondor
Thanks you lovely ladies! @Durien, you know, laying on the floor with arms out seems to have helped immediately (as long as I lay there). :smiley16: I've been going through this pain for years (off and on). One thing that helped is drinking a glass of wine (I'm a complete lightweight). It's odd how some things work that seem like they shouldn't and other things don't work that seem like they should. @Nessa Saelind, having access to a swimming pool would be the BEST thing ever. Unfortunately, I don't have that option, even though we have a gazillion swimming pools around Las Vegas. I'm just waiting for this present batch of pains to pass to get back in the action here. Thank you all for your advice. See you soon!

New Soul
I have a slight conundrum caused by my overthinking most likely. :smiley9:

Windy's NPC character had a concussion and at first I thought to administer willow bark with the tea as a pain relief. But then I remembered since willow bark works similarly as aspirin, and aspirin is used to thin the blood and prevent blood clots (my dad is taking aspirin tablets for the same reason) and went to check if there would be side effects. Lo and behold the NHS website said this
taking paracetamol or ibuprofen if you have a headache – don't use aspirin because it could cause your injury to bleed
so now I'm a bit unsure how to work around this. I'm probably overthinking the problem, for RP purposes I don't think administering willow bark in small doses would be harmful (going with a stronger painkiller like poppy seems a bit well much), but on the other hand now that the information is in my head it will not go away! :smiley9: The more you know... Any suggestions or possible workarounds?

edit: accidently tagged the wrong person :oops: fixed that now. Note to self do not talk to small children and type.
Last edited by Nessa Saelind on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/her.

Master Torturer
@Nessa Saelind I am thinking that was meant for me?? :P And nt Winterwolf lol.

I would just follow this: https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/treatin ... n-children and here: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientins ... 000125.htm
As he is not bleeding, watch him for the next 24 hours. If there is a concussion, then he needs to be woken every x hours to make sure he is alright. I probably wouldnt use anything that works as blood thinner, cause if he is bleeding in his brain that could get massively serious. There is no real treatment as such for a concussion, so is there any other kind of painkiller he could take? Maybe some lavender oil? (not to drink, topically)

New Soul
@Winddancer thank you for spotting that mention mixup. My niece was asking me a question so I sent submit without double checking. Edited that out now. :smiley9:

Well since there's no bleeding giving willow bark should be safe, and when I went to check because I remembered that aspirin is used for prevention of blood clots it got me thinking about internal bleeding. Since there's no CT in ME :smiley9: you can't check, so naturally you're more cautious. At the top of my head I can't think of any lighter pain relief herb besides poppy, but giving someone poppy for mild pain is kind of an overkill. I'll check some books if I can find something, otherwise I'll administer a low dose of willow bark and monitor like a hawk. :smiley9:
She/her.

Dúnadan
@Pele Alarion @Finduilas Faelivrin @Nessa Saelind

There will be contestants arriving slowly in the reception areas of the HoH requesting medicines for morning nausea for Queen Arwen as part of the Queen's Quest. If you have the time or desire, anyone can post as the healer interacting with them. If no one is up for it, I'll break out an NPC as Durien is currently already with a patient, but I thought I'd drop the note!

Master Torturer
@Nessa Saelind Been thinking about it a lil, would you mind if the kid took a turn for the worse? I dont really want Thea "getting away" with it scenario :P

Horse Trainer of The Mark
Just wanted to pop by and drop a line that anyone is welcome to help the two awkward Rohirrim, and feel free if you have associations to Rohan (or are a Ranger or something) to recognize Rowena as a Marshal/Healer in the Cav.

As for my story if anyone wants to RP the person they are visiting, drop me a line and I can fill you in on the story I have in mind, and you can feel free to take it and run with it. Basically they are visiting the grandmother of a bad guy in Rowena's story to find out what she knows (which isn't much hahaha)

In War We Know Willpower, In Peace We Know Love~

Master Torturer
To all the healers in HoH: Got a couple of questions :)

Would it be an idea to add to the top post who is a healer already? So we can see who can respond?
Also could you please clarify the steps to become a healer, it says: 5 basic tasks to perform, 5 tasks assisting the healer/herbalist, 5 “examination” tasks with the healer/herbalist evaluating. So is this 15 posts in all?
And how do you rp assisting the healer? And how do you rp the examination? Does one of the healers give you something to rp and they read your posts?

@Rowena Ellenweorc would love to help, but not a healer :)