Houses of Healing OOC (planning, etc.)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Chief Counsellor of Gondor
I have a little question. The 'Storage rooms' which Pele and Matilda are leading Unalmis to, for the next stage of training; are these what is referenced in the opening post as 'storage, etc' within the 'healers quarters' portion ? As in, should I use the grey font colour for my next post ?
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

New Soul
Yes, the storage rooms would be part of the Healers' quarters aka a wide variety of "other" spaces :nod: so grey colour it is. Pele already used grey in her last post :nod: that's what I'm seeing on the screen anyway.
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

I couldn't see a difference between her font colour and my reception post colour, but maybe I'm tired. :googly: Or maybe the two colours are so alike it doesn't really make much difference ? Regardless, thank you for the clarification. :winkkiss:
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Steward of Gondor
No you're not the only one! I couldn't tell any difference in the colors either, lol. Maybe they ought to pick another color?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

New Soul
Time for another round of "In this essay, I shall..." grab a drink, grab a snack, get comfy...

Firstly, let's do a bit of compare and contrast, shall we? On the left colour codes for locations in the 1st HoH thread and on the right colour codes for locations in the 2nd HoH thread

As you can clearly see from the screenshots above the colours chosen for the locations in the first HoH thread were lighter and vibrant. If you scroll through the old Houses of Healing thread you will notice that the vibrantly colourful fruit salad was at times very difficult to read because of the lighter colours. The healer's quarters colour choice was particularly difficult to read. So when the time came to open up a new thread, we discussed location colours here in the OOC. The start of it is here. Since the location titled Healer's quarters was not much used at the time, and as a custodian of the new HoH thread, I wanted to avoid the colourful fruit salad look I chose a dark shade of grey for locations that were not really used much at the time. The stakeholders at the time were OK with the idea.

Personally, I'm not a fan of coloured text on the screen. If I use colours I use them for titles or to highlight something. If it was solely up to me and my preference the Houses of Healing would not have colour coded locations. We would write in black and bold the locations at the top of our posts. However, although I am the current threadrunner I am a custodian of this thread, not its owner. And the Houses of Healing always had colours designations for location. It's tradition and I respect that, regardless of personal preference. If the stakeholders wish to abolish colour coded locations or change a colour I have absolutely no issue with it. I will be happy to change things as long as the stakeholders discuss and agree about those changes here in the OOC.

Another thing I would like to add regarding seeing the difference between shades. It's quite alright if someone can't see the difference between shades, in this case between black and grey. Nobody is going to cut off anyone's head if they post in the "wrong" colour or use a different shade because they misremembered the colour code, or got it wrong, or don't see the difference between colours. As long as the location is marked clearly and people know where you are and who you are with it's totally fine. It's just a colour. As long as you can see and read the text everything is fine. Also even if you can't see the difference between shades or you forget the colour code the codes + the locations and a short description if needed is located in the OP (as shown on the screenshots above) and you can always check and (re)read the OP, copy the code you need and paste it. Simple, Bob's yer uncle. :winkkiss:
She/her.

New Soul
For research purposes and my own curiosity I went and used @Marshall Lee as a test subject for the location colours. According to Frost "there's just enough difference in shade that it's clear the color is different" however, he did mention that the brown in as the Study colour looks a bit like the dark grey to him.

So back to the colour wheel! :lol: I found some shades I'd like everyone to look at and give me feedback. I went for the darker colours, as they are easier to read. I tried to keep in mind the overall colour scheme of the Houses of Healing, so let's see how I did. The letters are larger so it will be easier to see the difference between shades in the text (for those who can see them).

For the Healer's quarters

Curent colour of Healer's quarters (colour code #504A4B)

Gunmetal (colour code #2A3439) is a shade of gray that has a bluish purple tinge. To me it pulls blackish-green.

Feldgrau (colour code #4D5D53) is a greenish grey color. Not my 1st colour of choice, but if folk like it, I'm fine with it.

Slate gray (colour code #708090) is a gray color with a slight azure tinge. Basically a greyish blue colour.

Dark Slate gray (colour code #2F4F4F) A dark bluish green colour.

Taupe (colour code #483C32) Dark grey-brown colour. Means mole in French.

For the Study

Curent colour of the Study is brown (colour code #804040)

Dark brown (colour code #5C4033) darker town of brown, a warm toned brown.

Black coffee (colour code #4B3621) - colour of freshly brewed black coffe.

Dark coffe (colour code #3B2F2F) - pulls more towards black than dark brown to me.

Seal brown (colour code #59260B) -a rich dark brown color, resembling the color of the dyed fur from the fur seal.
She/her.

Ent Ancient
Honestly, because you asked, my top preference would be to ditch the color coding entirely. If you/others want reasons, I can elaborate.

Steward of Gondor
I actually second Lail's motion. The colors do help make it easy to see at a glance, but only if the colors are significantly different and people can remember what's what. I kinda think just bolding the location ought to be enough. But I'll keep doing it if the color coding rule sticks, of course.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

First of all let me apologise for opening a can of coloured worms because that was never my intention. I really should avoid ooc threads at all costs. Somehow things I post with good intentions always turn out to be more complicated than they were ever intended. :confused:

I only wanted to make sure I was following the thread rules correctly re colours. But since 99% of people apparently can’t tell the difference between the black and grey I do have to wonder whether there’s a point in differentiating the font colours for those areas when doing so doesn’t seem to actually. :googly:

I imagine that the concept of font colours for different areas in the thread began in HOH much like it did in the old Tower Guard thread. As a means of easily deducing which other characters were in the same ‘area’ as yours and thus who you should be interacting with. Here, even the people in the same area seem to be working in different time frames as the stories in for eg the Reception are all occurring independently of each other. So that just leaves the handiness of finding your little storyline amongst all the others in the multi-story thread. :wink:

I don’t personally mind whether we have differing font colours or not, as long as the instructions on how to post those font colours are clear to all. :shrug: In this case I was confused whether ‘storage etc’ meant the actual storage rooms we had been heading for IC. And the only reason that I mentioned not seeing the difference in the black/grey was because if I had been able to see that Pele had used the grey rather than the black, then my question would have been unnecessary. I would simply have followed suit what she had clearly done.

New Soul
Ercassie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:28 amFirst of all let me apologise for opening a can of coloured worms because that was never my intention. I really should avoid ooc threads at all costs. Somehow things I post with good intentions always turn out to be more complicated than they were ever intended. :confused:
Let's get this out of the way first. Cassie you have absolutely nothing to apologise for! :smooch: OOC threads are also here so folks can ask questions, give feedback and generally comment and discuss anything that's going on in the main thread. :nod: And I encourage all of you to always use this thread to ask questions if you're unsure, if something is unclear, to give feedback or comment. :nod:

To quote myself :tongue:
An RP thread is a living organism; it lives and breaths, grows and evolves and adapts to suit the needs of the people who create stories and post them. Sometimes it’s hard to predict in which direction a thread will go because an influx of (new) ideas is unpredictable, so a thread runner might at times discover they need to make amendments and additions to the guidelines they posted in the OP.

For me, colours for the location in the HoH thread might be a trivial matter, as long as I can read the text without getting a migraine I'm OK. I always copy the colour codes I need from the OP and that's that. However, for others, location colours might be a big issue and can cause problems when reading a text :nod: and that also needs to be acknowledged and a solution needs to be found.

So lemme use this opportunity to tag all the stakeholders and participants in the Houses of Healing to get their views on this. If I forgot someone, apologies!

@Pele Alarion @Winddancer @Marshall Lee @Rillewen @Revered Grandmother @Lailyn @Marceline @Ercassie @Ankala Teaweed @Amadhrill
  • Should the colour coding of the locations in the Houses of Healing thread be removed? And a modified instruction put in place? e.g. please post your location at the top of your post in bold?
or
  • Should we keep the colour coding of the locations? If you have any suggestions or preferences regarding colours for locations could you please provide examples?
If you have any other ideas please feel free to let me know, I appreciate hearing your feedback.
She/her.

Balrog
For me, color coding feels more natural for characters rather than location because it doesn't feel like I need to switch back and forth too much (not that I did that often here in HoH)

I also know some people prefer to just use black, without any color coding, because doing that adds an extra layer of "ugh, I have to format this too"

I think the "post your location at the top in bold" would be more than sufficient (along with tagging anyone you might need at the bottom of the post)
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Black Númenórean
For me, including the location in bold at the top of posts is sufficient!
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

High Warden of Tower
Hmm. Actually, I wouldn't even mind either way - could just go with indicating the location, or could do colour coding (very helpful, I am). In fact, I usually have to go back to the OP to check the colour every time I post. :lol:

Ercassie wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:28 amI don’t personally mind whether we have differing font colours or not, as long as the instructions on how to post those font colours are clear to all. :shrug:
@Nessa Saelind :winkkiss:

High Lord of Imladris
Well @Nessa Saelind I know I talked with you about this on Discord forever ago. I'm glad to see it's finally made it here. My feelings have remained the same. Bold Location at the top is sufficient, however IF people want to continue to use colours I think they can without issue as long as they have the location at top as well for colour blind help - I do think most people post locations at the top of their posts as well as the color currently so shouldn't be too much of a change there.

Steward of Gondor
Rillewen wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:43 am I actually second Lail's motion. The colors do help make it easy to see at a glance, but only if the colors are significantly different and people can remember what's what. I kinda think just bolding the location ought to be enough. But I'll keep doing it if the color coding rule sticks, of course.
I'm in favor of just bold locations at the top instead of color coding lol

Ent Ancient
I love color & colorful things except when reading text. For me, stating the location is fine sans color coding.

New Soul
Reading your thoughts on the subject of colour coding the locations in HoH, the majority feels like it's not necessary :nod: and that we should just put the location (+ person(s) we're interacting with) at the top of the post in bold. Write everything in black :nod:

I'll edit the OP and make a TR announcement regarding the change soonish. :nod:
She/her.

Farmer
I have always enjoyed the freedoms of colouring, but.. in my later years have begun to, much to my own surprise, enjoy the all black.. mostly for editorial reasons. I would reallllllly like to do all black and just the words spoken by my characters in a colour to reflect their personality if you will.. (like Christ speaking in the Bible being red for instance) but editing that.. oph.. makes my head spin... I may still attempt it here and there when feeling spicy in other threads, but Im totally on board with all black. I like bolding names out of habit as well, and appreciate it in others posts for quick reference, but am not married to it.

Time Edit: I also thought this was for a different thread.. HA! But i suppose my comment can still stand... >.<
Karue Sadyen - Elven Leatherwork | Marilyn Took - Hobbit Adorableness

New Soul
Just an update: I am moving next week to New Mexico, returning after many years on the coast.

I will catch up with HoH when I am able to. 🥳

the logistics of moving after 20 years in one apartment is rather challenging.
fka Ann Kalagon, Hyandaner

Mae Govannen, my friends!

High Warden of Tower
I'm sure you'll do great, @Ankala Teaweed ! All the effort aside, try to enjoy the move a bit! :wink:

New Soul
Thank you, @The Adventurer :smooch:

Am I seeing new names for Halloween around here?

Steward of Gondor
Indeed you are! @Ankala Teaweed

High Warden of Tower
I'm normally not the one to go name-changing, but somehow got carried along this time. :lol:

New Soul
Good luck with the move @Ankala Teaweed *hugs* Hope it goes smoothly! *fingers crossed*

For everyone waiting on me to post in HoH apologies, I had a hectic few weeks, but I hope that by the end of this week I'll manage to get my posts up! *fingers crossed for that too*
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
@Ankala Teaweed Indeed lots of Halloween names.

@Nessa Saelind Will keep my fingers and toes crossed though I know the post for me is horribly boring filler hopefully your next few weeks will be less hectic for you as well (but still busy because slow is terribly boring)

New Soul
Apologies everyone for the long delay and for the questionable quality of my posts, but at least I have posted! Yay? The next half of my posting list is going to be cleared in the next few days. I really need to be more disciplined with my writing, a task for NaNoWriMo I guess :lol:
She/her.

Master Torturer
@Lailyn Dont know if you saw, but finally got around to posting Ms Irma in HoH, you still want to post with Falaneth?? If you don't thats fine, but if you do, you are up next then :D

Ent Ancient
@Winddancer, thanks! I did see it and absolutely still want to! It is on my list of posts to-do. :winkkiss:

Master Torturer
Yay! <3 No hurry, was just making sure!

Ent Ancient
Fyi you have my full permission to do whatever with fainted-Falaneth. I assume she'll come around soon enough and that with two healers in the vicinity, they won't let her come to too much harm. Ms Irma, on the other hand, might just prefer to watch her fall :lol:

Steward of Gondor
Omg @Lailyn , that post was awesome!

Ent Ancient
:embarrassed: :smooch:

New Soul
Thank you @Pele Alarion and @Nessa Saelind !

I am now moved! it was helllish work, for sure, and I had to go back and forth to bring each of my two wee doggies -- Chihuahuas who traveled in carriers under the airline seat in front of me -- you can only take one at a time.
Yow and airline security wanting no-metal collars and leashes for their purposes. I forgot to take boy dog's collar off, with its tags, going through security so they searched his carrier and my carry-on.

We are adapting to the change in altitude and climate. And I just try to get like one thing done a day. I don't have a car yet (no real public transit near me), and have an order in for one. Patience is my friend.

And all that being said, I hope to hop back in HoH soon soon.

Fun stuff: George RR Martin has a bookstore (and other stuff) here; where I can go for new fantasy books. Yay. He has a project to open a little railway that will have one dragon-engine train and one wolf-engine train, painted as such I mean, that will feature mystery rides and other things. Sky Railroad or Sky Railway something.

Anyways, greetings from Santa Fe; I am at the foot of the Sangre de Cristos, 7,200 ft elevation. And back in the Southwest, where I grew up, many many moons ago.

Master Torturer
@Rillewen @Lailyn I do intend to post asap! I am just having a bit of trouble figuring out what either of the 3 will do now lol, its not coming to me as easily as I hoped :P

Steward of Gondor
Lol no worries, I was unsure if I should post with Maeth checking on falaneth or not.

Ent Ancient
No worries, Windy, take your time! :smooch: I am ultra slow posting these days and I only just posted mine a few days ago. if I can help in any way, let me know!

New Soul
Since I'm a "bit" nonexistent on the RP front these days do to a combination of factors @Ercassie and @Pele Alarion if you two want to move the plot of Nal's training along please do and don't wait on me. You can say that Matilda was summoned to the study, because she did leave books and her things there before seeing Nal at the reception.

For everyone else that is waiting on my post in HoH I'm so, so sorry. I'm trying to get my head together to write something that makes sense which requires me to actually find time to sort shire out. I will try to do it as soon as I can, but if I don't make it by the end of this month, well 2022 will just have to start with a post won't it :lol:
She/her.

High Warden of Tower
@Ankala Teaweed Well, now you will do a lot of walking up and down mountains? ;)

@Nessa Saelind Hmm. If you insist... But better do post! :P

New Soul
I shall certainly try to write something in December :nod: however, RL is not cooperating with me this month at all! Every day some new unexpected thing that needs intervention/fixing/screaming into the void crops up and at this point I'm just like can January get here so I can get a break. :lol:

I can't make any promises for December, but I think (*fingers crossed*) January might not be a problem. :nod:
She/her.

New Soul
Not really that kind of situation, @Pele Alarion but when the weather is good, some.

Moving took a lot out of me in every way. I hope to get back into the HOH groove soon; but I did finally pick up our thread and make a post.

High Warden of Tower
@Nessa Saelind January is at the door all too soon, though it seems that you are waiting hopefully. :grin:

@Ankala Teaweed Yay, a post! Definitely take your time to settle in properly though!

High Warden of Tower
@Winddancer So is that a hint that Pele should hear all that yelling by Ms Irma? :lol:

Master Torturer
@Pele Alarion Haha! Only if you want to! Its fine if you dont, I will "deal" with her myself if no one grabs her :P

High Warden of Tower
Ahahaha, will see if I can snatch some creativity snippets for it!

Since Naela saw Pele and Unalmis at the storerooms her Rp is clearly occurring at the same time as Pele has just given Nal the go ahead to practice bandaging ‘dummies’ … so If Miss Irma wants a healer she might get more than she bargained for … ? :tongue: :grin: Helpful training assistant on hand anyone ? Muahaha

@Pele Alarion
@Winddancer

Master Torturer
Haha! Bring it on! :P Might want to stuff their ears with cotton balls though :P But seriously, dont feel forced to, its only if you want to deal with her :)

High Warden of Tower
:rofl: Errr... that provides for an interesting interaction.

Master Torturer
:lol:

I shall follow the Masterhealer’s lead of course :winkkiss: