Marketplace OOC

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
New Soul
Alright, so as to not get lost amongst all the other city hall business, let's get our own OOC going. This will be the place fore planning, rank up notifications and any thing else important, like any market wide sales(?) or themed events.

I could use some help getting things going:
can any one help with banners and icons , any one want to make new ones? dig up the old ones somewhere? I don't have an photo editing program or know what sites are good for hosting uploads any more.
any suggestions on craft guilds and stores we need to remember to include?
any one want to be added to specific places already?
am I forgetting something? probably

I am planning to have every one start fresh, but if there is any one who thinks they absolutely need to have their old rank back, you can make a case for it here. It also is not going to be too hard to rank up, for now. That could be changed in a few months, if I feel like I made it too easy. I also do not yet know if this is 3rd or 4th age, so I am going to start it in a way that is usable for either one. and even if we do end up in the 3rd age, I personally am not going to be a stickler about the races so, just have fun!

Esquire of The Mark

@Arnyn hihi
@Veowyn I am not a Gondorian, but I can make stuff for you if you let me know what you want.

Khazad Elder
I found this thread on the Old Plaza Archives if it helps any. I can look for newer ones if you’d like as well.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040705162 ... Position=1.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Eldrith Eeek that icon! Memorieeeees. :smiley8: And HI!

New Soul
@Eldrith I am not going to turn away any help, especially since I do not sport any kingdom icon either. I just need something that embodies the white city and maybe has a marketplace feel. I don't really even know where to start with it.

Thanks @Oro I will take a look, maybe there is some inspiration in there

we definitely do not need all the old doors, :smiley9: but maybe @Eldrith can do something with the fun banner there.
Last edited by Veowyn on Sat May 16, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esquire of The Mark
@Arnyn *chuckles* Let me know if Gondor needs some ahum... livening up... I am finding myself drawn too much to the old pub to go for the tree again, but... that does NOT mean that I can't come over. Well, Eldrith still won't, probably. LOL But there can always be an NPC. Either for being nice, or...

Wainrider
My character Reikon is an Elf, but has always been a trader / treasure hunter in terms of vocation. Would love to have an 'Artifact Shop' if you will, when this gets up and running. If it would fit more with the theme and content I'd be happy to NPC a Gondorian to run the shop. Not uncommon for Reikon to employ others to maintain his business empire. If neither of those works I'm happy to just help out as a patron. :smiley8:

High Warden of Tower
*sneaks in to attackle Eldrith*

Veowyn, looks like you might soon collect quite a lot of help. :) Not sure if I can do anything to assist you, just yet.

New Soul
@Reikon Suchi-ru It is looking almost certain that we will be playing in the 4th Age, so I am all for elves involved. (Veo as a character is and elf too, but I think I am going to have my human Vandani running things still anyway) You are definitely welcome to have an artifact shop, that sounds so cool! So here's the thing with that though, I am going to make one of the guilds a "traders guild" for ones who just want to sell stuff, instead of crafting, you will be part of that. You can still have your own shop, the guilds are just formality.

I am thinking 1 good post to move up each rank ? 2? 3? I don't want to make this crazy. There are only 3 ranks, apprentice, journeyman, and master. What do you guys think?' I don't want to completely give up the ranks, cause that and the mentorship of the guilds was part of what made this marketplace different, but I kinda just want to get to the RolePlaying too. Every one still having their own shops within the guild is something I want, instead of needing to get to master to get the shop too... Those are just my thoughts, any other suggestions are welcome

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
I have an imgur account for hosting images Veowyn, though haven’t really any editing experience. :smiley14:

As far as participating though, I had my original Gondorian character retire from the ERC back in like 2006 and marry an undertaker. So I could potentially beg you for the chance for her to learn that trade now, apprentice to her husband !
:smiley16:

More recently I had a carpentry apprentice on the last version of the plaza. Wouldn’t mind starting either/both of these again, and I have no problem starting from scratch with them.

I’m still trying to work out what sort of time I can commit to this and wow ! Reeling from the old thread Oro just linked ! It must be old ! I spy my IC there ! :?

Wainrider
@Veowyn That sounds fantastic! I'm totally on board. I'm thinking I'll come up with a Gondorian NPC. WIll allow me to stretch my RPing muscles and will also make more sense within the context of the RPing atmosphere here in MT. Thanks for the input. :smiley8:

New Soul
@Ercassie how does imgur work? is it free? will it work with a chromebook? I am not big on doing it myself, but it might be good to know my options. now if you want to rejoin as an apprentice undertaker and/or carpentry you are welcome to 1or both! Carpentry is always one of my favorites, and I had some time in there myself. You may get a visit from Veowyn :smiley11:

alright, I think I have enough to work with, and can get a post up soon, we can add a banner and icons to later.

Scholar of Gondor
Oooh! I call dibs on an Apothecary! I've still got all of my old notes, but would have to do re-writes depending on what Age and whether I want to start fresh with Findy or keep some of her old NPC's. Oh, decisions, decisions!!!

I used to use Photobucket, but need to open up a new account in an image storage whatchamacallit. It's like starting out with no legs. I had so many great images in Photobucket for loads of RPGs through the years. I checked it out and they're still screaming at me I need to buy an account there. I'm digging in my heals on that one, since they turned to greed.

Master Torturer
This one is free to use to save your pics to :) https://imgbb.com/ Recommended by Narv!

Khazad Elder
That is my favorite one too, Windy! I always use imgbb.com now!

New Soul
@Finduilas Faelivrin Is there a guild that the apothecary fits in, my brain is drawing a blank. But it is for sure yours! Didn't you have a special name for it?

I will try other that site too, since yah photobucket is NOT an option.
Veowyn, Vandani, Jakiewyn, Caddrick, Ailura, Túrelia, Vigri, Vinca
Maldir - you are missed

Master Torturer
Oh btw can I call dibs on Pipemaker?? I am so anti-smoking it is not even funny, but clay pipes have become a passion of mine since I found some 300-400 year old ones while mudlarking :D Of course if this was already a shop, nevermind, but if it wasn't, I would love to do that please :D Maybe sell tobacco too..

Scholar of Gondor
@Winddancer I like that idea for a pipe maker. They make great gifts too!

@Veowyn I finally got signed in to Imgbb. It took me a few tries. But, yes, Findy ran that Apothecary within the MT Marketplace. It was just called the Apothecary - I don't remember any fancy names to go with it. I was digging through my old Plaza files on my PC. Geez. Seems I spent half my life just collecting & piecing together posts & RPGs. She had some NPC helpers there, but like all else, I think she'll just start fresh. The Apothecary could easily be tied together with the Houses of Healing. Findy could supply the herbs and medicines - highly marked up prices and profiteering, no doubt. :smiley16: (I've been watching too much news lately.) I know I had a layout for the shop as well. There was a building with a flat top so she could grow herbs up there as well. Ooooh, I'm getting really excited to get started again.

Now we're cooking with gas! Image

New Soul
ok marketplace is up, if I miss someone, or if we need to update with other character names, let me know here.

it still needs a banner, but that can be added later too.
Maldir - you are missed

Scholar of Gondor
Looks good @Veowyn ! I'll try to get something up tomorrow.

Thankyou Veowyn ! It’s good to see the thread up and itching for activity :smiley22:

Imgur is free to use and I’ve encountered no problems with it on my chromebook but it sounds like imgbb is the choice of this (undetermined) age lol.

Just waiting (personally) on that little third/fourth age question to be settled before I look at moving from OOC to IC here, but it’s exciting regardless.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Khazad Elder
Thank you Veowyn for the initiative.

Can you add Hirgond (played by Oro) as a Brewer of Beers. His shop is called The Frothy Beard.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Niiiiiice, Veowyn! I'm all for not requiring a ton of posts before someone actually owns their shop.
Yes looks like it will be Fourth Age, but I promised it would run three days so... yeah maybe that was dumb. Haha! Should have said two!

@Eldrith I'm always up for stuff :smiley8: You have the best ideas.
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Wainrider
Looking forward to getting my artifact shop going, just need to think of a name, a character to be shopkeeper, and some interesting trinkets to throw into there. Thanks so much for getting this organized, @Veowyn! This is going to be so much fun.
Not all who wander are lost...except that guy. He's DEFINITELY lost.- JRR Tolkien, probably

New Soul
@Ercassie @Arnyn I'm making the executive decision, the MP itself will be 4th age until I'm told it can't be. Narv said there's no rules, within reason. So who says there can't be 3rd and 4th age threads going on? (If it comes to that, but yeah looks like it'll probably be 4th for most of it anyway, and I'm still willing to go 3rd age if everyone really does think that's better)

I'm excited to see everyone's stories within the market!

(Ok that sounds harsher than I intended. :? )
Maldir - you are missed

Esquire of The Mark
@Veowyn Haven't forgotten about you. Looking through what I have to make you a header. Do you know what size you want?

@Arnyn I am having very, very wicked thoughts...

@Pele Alarion Oh my goodness!! I missed you!!! *grins and tackles right back*
Last edited by Eldrith on Sun May 17, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kill-Stealing Skirt Wench
When others ride out to win renown, let me chosen to tend the house.

Scholar of Gondor
@Veowyn : I found a list of Marketplace shops after going through and revamping the list a few years ago, around 2008 (back when we had over 80,000 members! This is just for your interest and info. Obviously, we don't need to use something so comprehensive - take it or leave it. Maybe just to drum up a few ideas. I don't even remember making this, but I made thousands of posts and how-to lists back in the day. :smiley16:

Minas Tirith Marketplace—Revamped!

Goals:
1. To increase activity
2. To improve quality of posts.
3. To encourage apprenticeships.
How to attain these goals?
1. By reducing the size of the MP things become less daunting and more inviting
2. By combining related shops people are more likely to be in the same shop with others thus encouraging role-play
3. By reducing the size and offering to Role-pay the NPCs if there is no active apprentice in the shop will encourage participation
4. By reducing the size and allowing for the creativity of members more apprenticeships will be created and with more apprentices there will be more activity and with more activity more people wanting apprenticeships!

Slogan of such: Guaranteed role-play. With the reduced size and myself playing NPCs of stores with no apprentices, unless someone would rather play the NPC themselves, at the marketplace there is guaranteed role-play no matter what shop you enter.

Changes:
1. Kept 44 Stores
2. Alphabetized and numbered stores
3. Removed 44 stores
4. Removed 9 Apprentices
5. Combined 8 Stores
6. Added “blank” stores (If a store isn’t listed you can create it in order to visit it)
7. Allowing apprentices to create their own stores and owner NPCs in which to do their apprenticeship
8. Offering to role-play the NPC owners of stores without player apprentices, will post within 48 hours

Things to do:
Create a complete NPC List, those with Bio’s stay, those without go. I plan on finding as many of the bios for the NPCs in the final shop list as possible and posting those in one place. Those without NPC bios will be removed from the Marketplace OP.

Tentative Final Shop List:

1. Alchemist: O: Issac (Difference between this and the apothecary?)
2. Antiques: O: Gemmina
3. Anduin & Anfalas: O: Rochir, A: Mundaer, Aergon
4. Apothecary: O: Finduilas Faelivrin, A: Mazarin
5. Armoury: O: Beleth A: Mirk, Aurelious
6. Bakery: O: Aracir Kirens
7. Basketweaver: EMPTY
8. Blacksmith: J: Cúmehtar
9. Bookbinders: M: Leiryn
10. Bottles: EMPTY
11. Bowyers: (Combined Bowery with Fletcher)
12. Butcher: O: Pete Graveloop
13. Candles: O: Matrona Gullins A: Nienna
14. Candy Maker: O: Natasha Kenco
15. Carpenter: O: Aros, M: Velóm Baranhil,
16. Carpentry Shop: A: Veowyn Girarion
17. Cartographers: O: Luthor Dolven,
18. Chainmail Armoury: O: Serid O: Taranuen A: Garayán
19. Clockmakers: O: Sunshine Clocks
20. Coiffeuse’s: A: Nineran, Ima Oac’dnut
21. Engraver: O: Erediran
22. Faeron’s Cweƥe Cese: A: Beleg Faeron, Isolde A. Faeron
23. Florist: O: Blossom A: Meranna
24. Green Grocer: EMPTY
25. Gwaihir’s Fashions: M: Brecia
26. Jeweller: (Combination of Goldsmith, Silversmith, and Gem Cutter)
27. Leather Armour: J: Laiannon, A: Tenharien
28. Locksmith: O: Orthidil
29. Mental Harveys: Harvey
30. Miller: A: Turin Ringhûn, Farnir
31. Money Lenders: O: Eredhmir A: Carandol
32. Music: O: Rhell Payth, J: Lews Therin Dunami (Frost Windi?)
33. Parchmentmaker: A: Cadi Peredhil
34. Poultry Farmer: O: Arnon Hivegal
35. Shoes: O: Illay A: Roth
36. Soapmaker: EMPTY
37. Stone Masons: O: Ernur, A: Neustahije, Marin
38. Tailors: O: Azra Minal
38. Tavern of the Seven Stars: (Isn’t this a pub? If so why is it in the MP if you can’t go in from the MP)
39. Tobacconist: O. Drogo Hornblower, J: Indo Rómeran
40. Toy Store: O: Dravoral Rallah
41. Veterinarian: A: Malak
42. Vintner: O: Drak Bresick A: Arteris
43. Wandering merchant: M: Nurbor, J: Kala.
44. Weaponsmith: EMPTY

New Soul
@Finduilas Faelivrin that is pure gold! My early MT days! I remember guilds got added by Pell right around the time I made it to my mastery rank, and then that's when I met Maldir. This is good to have around to give everyone ideas if what shops they can do! Thank you for finding this!

@Eldrith no idea on size. Nothing overly large, I don't want to scroll through a big picture every time lol.

First 2 people to post get a visit from either Veowyn or Vandani! Lol
Maldir - you are missed

Scholar of Gondor
@Veowyn, hey maybe I never even made this! I can't recall - but I can't recall half of the stuff I find on my computer since it was a lifetime ago!!! Maybe Pell wrote it? Where is that scamp anyhoo? I miss his crazy posts! I finally found some of Findy's old posts from the Apothecary. I can salvage some of the posts, but I had NPC's and Findy was living a totally different life back then. I think I'll just be very general about her personal life and stick to herbs & medicines. Any military knowledge will be from hunting and living in the wild. All of our characters had superpowers back then. "Why yes, I am Commander of the Rangers, have a baby, a full time job, run several pubs, race go-carts, spend half my time training soldiers, and in my spare time I am Faramir!" *nods sagely* :smiley16: :smiley9:

Loremaster of Gondor
At one point, I had run the Miller shop. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any of that. I keep going back and forth on whether to do that again. Any help in locating any of the previous work would be awesome.

And I see you have me listed in that old OP. In this version, Turin wouldn’t be an assistant. I’ll come up with an NPC to work with the owner
Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy- Stonewall Jackson
Hubris guarantees disaster.- T C

New Soul
@Turin Ringhûn you are welcome to take up the miller position again :) I'm only asking for 1 post per rank, so it could easily be like getting back into the swing of things, reopening/returning after a vacation holiday or something. Even establishing an NPC apprentice, with the character you plan to use regularly be the "Master". Just using an NPC is welcome too, however you would like to do it. Shall I add you to the opening.

Yes @Finduilas Faelivrin we need to find Pell! He was another sort of mentor to me back in those days. And I'm all for revamping characters in any way we want. Pick and choose from things we did with them on the old site, or completely restart. Sometimes trying to think how they were before is too tedious. This should be fun so we don't lose interest
Maldir - you are missed

Esquire of The Mark
This is a very temporary design, I was just playing around with some stuff. But it can work until I can get you something better. I wasn't sure if you wanted to go for artwork or photoreality or.. whatever. LOL

New Soul
Oh! Thank you! I love this!
Maldir - you are missed

Esquire of The Mark
@Veowyn You are so welcome. Since I always figured Minas Tirith was based on the old Italian cities, I started with a drawing of medieval Triest, then worked from there. It's just a few layers, but I didn't want to go with too much color because well... 'The White City" I figured this was simple and neat for now!

Khazad Elder
@Eldrith Its cute! I think it works, if we get super fancy later we can replace it but for now I think RP and fun is the key.

Scholar of Gondor
Excellent job on the picture, @Eldrith !! You've done the "White City" with a Cooper superimposed over it. I love it! Thank you so much!
Yes, @Veowyn I agree. I think after so many years our characters could have had a tendancy to be far too deep and complicated. I'm just leaving Findy on her own for now, without all of the NPC's - even I was having a hard time keeping track of all of them. I'm going to utilize "Mrs. Privet" around the Apothecary - I'm thinking she'll be sort of a jolly middle-aged sole, a bit on the heavy side, loves to gossip, but will be totally dependable and eager to help out and learn the craft as well. Also, so there's an NPC that folks can RP when they enter the shop (I'll do up an entertaining description of her in my next post - already excited to do that!)

Dúnadan
Ooooh....I’d love to run a cartography shop! It would work so well with my character!

New Soul
Cartographer it is @Durien

@Turin Ringhûn I added you as Miller, can change it or add a different character name if you decide on something else.

@Finduilas Faelivrin you were first to post, so Vandani brought you something ;).
Maldir - you are missed

Scholar of Gondor
Yay, yay, yay!! Thanks, @Veowyn! I was pleased to see your post last night on my phone when I was already in bed. How fun! I'm awaiting the hubster to get back from walking the pooches so he can drive me to Wally World to pick up some allergy tablets. Otherwise, I'll be sneezing all over my keyboard. Hmm, maybe that's why some of the keys are stiiiiiiiiicking! :shock: (Sorry for being crude!)

I think I may forego the undertakers apprenticeship after all, if that’s not a bother, @Veowyn. My original character .. I’m not feeling her any more and to be completely honest, despite the escapism of any version of plaza, I think an undertaker is a bit of a risqué roleplay right now.

I’ll feel happier just sticking with the carpentry, if that’s ok. I’ll hopefully have something up by the end of the day for that one. ;)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

New Soul
No problem @Ercassie
Maldir - you are missed

Child of Gondor
Veowyn, would it be alright if Nelladel (npc) got her old rank of Master Baker back? and her shop...Nell Breads and Pastries??
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

New Soul
@Isolde Alarion !!!! Ahhh! the keys to the shop are yours. and give me 3 posts on "getting back into the swing of things" and the title of master is returned too! (not that ranks are all that important right now, I am just so happy to have you back!)
Maldir - you are missed

Child of Gondor
@Veowyn : I was very happy to see you here too!! *hugs*
*twirls the keys around her finger* 3 post hu? I think I can manage that. LOL I only ask for the rank because it was one of the only ones I ever had on the old plaza. LOL
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

High Warden of Tower
@Issy! You are here! *thinks of dropping by the bakery for something delicious* :smiley8:

Child of Gondor
@ Pele Alarion!! The bread crumbs worked !! LOL Well you know your always welcome!!

Child of Gondor
If there are no objections, I wouldn't mind resuming the Bookbinder shop. I definitely do not have anything from the old days but that suits me just fine - would rather start fresh anyway.
"We make our lives out of chaos. And hope."

Éowyn
Éowyn
Leiryn! You're actually gonna be posting too? *too much excitement* :smiley8:
Also, Eldrith, you're UP TO stuff. Love it. Want in. Like asap. :smiley9:
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

New Soul
@Leiryn Sulelinde Bookbinder, sure thing!

and @Isolde Alarion you will have your rank back in no time! :smiley11:

@Arnyn I have been meaning to ask you, did you make your icon for Kaylin? or remember who did?
Maldir - you are missed

Child of Gondor
@Veowyn Thank you!! :smiley17: You should stop by the Hall. :smiley10: