Minas Tirith Marketplace

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Child of Gondor
Myrtle's - Tailor

The grocer walked into Myrtle's shop. Myrtle rose at once, putting aside her sewing. "Good morning! I'm sorry, I don't remember your name." She knew she should remember it, it was impolite not to. You buy your vegetables from a woman, and you don't remember her name? Lis- Lir- Li-something. Something in one of the elvish tongues, beautiful and strange to her ear, even after all those years in the White City.

"I'll need to see you trying the dresses on, so we can see what alterations need to be made," Myrtle showed Liriel towards the curtained fitting area in the back of the shop. She imagined trying on dresses was about the last thing her client wanted at the moment - she remembered her own last month of pregnancy with Alan - heavy and ungainly, swollen like a beached whale, her back in constant pain. But there was no helping it - She needed to see where each dress was getting tight, by how much it would have to be let out, and what options she had for doing that.
Letting out a dress was more difficult than taking it in. If there was enough seam allowance, that could be used. If the dress had been taken in previously, some generous seam allowance could have been tucked in. If there was any form of pleats or tucks or gathers, they could be played with. But if neither of the above served, then more fabric had to be added, and there one had to get creative. Finding fabric that would match seamlessly was not within the realm of the possible. Even if cloth from the same original bolt could be found, it would no longer match - a dress got washed, and exposed to the sun, and its colour changed over time. Then you had to make the additional fabric look like a stylish decoration. There always was a solution if you approached a problem creatively. Her mother had taught her that.

Alan in the meantime, having politely said good morning to the lady, set aside his darning (he was always happy for an excuse to do that) and set about getting to know the wee lad she had set down.
"What's your little one's name?" Myrtle asked, watching as Alan tried to amuse the baby with a game of peekaboo.

@Winddancer
Last edited by Galastel on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master Torturer
Myrtle's - Tailor

"Ah! My apologies, quite presumptuous of me to think everyone knows my name! My name is Liriel. Oh and I love what you have done with the shop!"

It was not often that people got a word in edgewise with Liriel, known to talk your ears off if you let her, though none of it was mean-spirited or gossip, most was about the farming, lack of supplies or her five boys. So it was with a bit of a surprised look that Liriel let Myrtle whisk her off to the back of the store before she was able to say more, only glancing over her shoulder once to make sure her son was going to be ok where he was and smiling when she saw Myrtle's son playing with him.

Liriel groaned heavily at the idea of having to try her dresses on, though she did manage to scoop up the wrapped package as she was led to the fitting area, even though it was less that nimbly done.

"You are going to have to give me a hand then hun, as I am far from as nimble as I was before this whale of a baby took over my body."

Liriel had a tendancy to talk to people like she was at least thirty years older than she actually was. She was only thirty-two, yet often acted as if she was far older, though it was more the fact that she dealt with people all day long that led her act more familiarly with everyone.

"Oh the baba? He is.. Erland!" She chuckled loudly at the pause she had made before saying his name, mumbling something about too many sons to remember their names while she was pulling her dress over her head, almost getting stuck in it.

@Galastel

Forester of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond - Armoury / Blacksmith
Beril

Beril could hear the elf talking behind her, his words slightly muffled in places as she shifted her attention towards the furnace. A bellows was pointed towards the middle of the hearth and supplied a consistent draft of air that greatly improved the smelting process. The hearth's design was simple but it suited her just fine. Permanent masonry walls were on all three sides, allowing her to access the front of the hearth without having to lean over the hot coals. The iron was beginning to bubble and she shifted over to one of the tables, grabbing a small bucket that had a white light powder inside.

Lime flux or limestone had similar consistency as flour when grounded up. Of course putting grounded limestone in dough was not recommended but to the untrained eye, it could be mistaken for the popular grain. Beril grabbed the small scoop that was inside the bucket and sprinkled the powder on top of the iron ore that was melting in between a circle of rocks. The limestone had a chemical reaction with the ore that she wished to manipulate. As the ore melted down and the limestone combined, impurities in the ore formed to create a brittle slag. A brittle slag was a residue that formed through the oxidation of the iron metal during the smelting process. Leaving behind a more pure and desired metal that was easier to shape and manipulate, plus excellent quality.

Beril placed the small scoop back inside the bucket and placed it at her feet. Grabbing the handle of a treated wrought iron fork, she was using the prongs to push and shift the coal around the stone circle to keep the desired heat. The smelting process would take another hour or so, longer if it was another metal like silver or obsidian. Technically, it was ready to be shifted to molds now but she preferred to let the limestone do what it was meant to do.

Once satisfied with the process she was seeing it finally dawned on her once again that she had a customer in her presence. Her sea colored eyes glanced towards the tall elf that had entered her workspace.
“Ahh..arrows? I do arrows as well, spears, pikes..anything that requires ore and manipulating the metal really. Do you need arrows to be done?” She moved the bucket towards the table and took out a stool, patting it in a gesture for him to take a seat also before she sat down as well. “Ten silver is for a small arrow set of 20 if you require it, 20 silver for 40. It includes everything of course, the wood shaft as well. When you have decided, just place the coins on the table.”

She grabbed two ceramic cups and a jug of mead, pouring herself a small amount before placing the jug between them.
“If you feel like a glass, please help yourself. I also have water” She gestured to a glass jug to the left of her. “If you desire also. Tea and coffee can be made but it is noon and fruit wine is far more desirable for me” Beril smiled, lifting the cup to her lips to take a sip of the citrus flavored wine. Growing up around dwarfs, drinking was always a part of their culture. At this point in her life, alcohol was just a part of it and never to a point of impairing her ability though. “To good business, of course” She toasted, lifting the cup towards him. “And many more”
Characters: Lilath(Elf) Beril(Human/Dwarf) Garreth(Dwarf) Blossom(Orc/human) Rose(Ent)

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond
"Well...I don't really need them, no. I guess I was just wondering. Let's focus on the axe for now and I might change my mind another day."
Tenharien took a set on the stool and thought hard about how he had over one hundred arrows already sitting in his closet at home. He set his money on the table. "Bah, why not! Here's an extra ten pieces of silver. I'll take twenty arrows as well."

Tenharien took the glass happily while he poured himself some water, downed it quickly and then poured himself a nice glass of mead.
"To good business!" As Beril raised her glass to toast, Tenharien did as well. "I do like wine with lunch. Honestly, I like it with everything except breakfast to be honest. What else do you like to drink? Or eat for that matter?" He shifted on the stool and took a drink of his mead, enjoying every second of it. He found that on his trip back home, he had become more open to things. Traveling does that. Never in a million years, did he think he would use another axe. Much less own one.

"And to Axes!" Tenharien exclaimed, raising his glass again. "Bless the dwarves for their technology. Long live Beril!"

New Soul
Nell's Bread and Pastries
Veowyn Silverleaf

Veowyn grinned and held her friend tightly in their hug. And she returned the compliment. "You look lovelier every time I see you. Which honestly is not often enough!" Nell's excitement at the cinnamon was exactly the reaction she had hoped for. Cinnamon was her family's little contribution to Middle Earth, and she enjoyed sharing it. Especially with good friends, who really knew how to put it to good use!

"Of course I have time. I did not bring cinnamon to you myself, only to leave right away!" The elleth teased. "In fact, after some tea, lets do some baking! Put me to work while we catch up. It'll be nice to have some fresh sweet bread." Verse the stale provisions she'd been eating during the journey here, fresh bread would be amazing. Helping her friend in the bakery, for the rest of the morning would be priceless.

Miller
Vandani Minrimmon - Master of Trade

Vandani clasped her hands together behind her back, as she entered the building. It was a stance she didn't even realize she did any more, her sons called it "Ma's business stance". Though, she had caught them both take on a similar stance as they took over the trade side of the dairy over recent years. She followed Farnir through the store, nodding as he showed her the shelves and the stock of flour, meal, and grains. She also glanced over the pricing list. She felt they well reflected the quality, and the current state of the market.

When he apologized, she gave him a smile and placed a hand gently on his arm. "No worries, my friend. Everything looks great! Your customers will be happy to see that open sign again." She put her hand back behind her again. "I am glad that construction was able to conclude so quickly. And you are happy with the carpentry of the barrels, and shelves?" She thought they all looked sturdy and well crafted, but she wanted to ensure he was pleased, as well. "What about the donkey pens and querns? To my understanding there are more now? If you are in need of more assistants I would be happy to send over a list of prospective folk that would be a little more..." she searched for the right word. "...well.. perhaps more suitable than those who have helped you in the past..." She gave a look that she knew he would understand, since she knew about the circumstances that caused the fire. "There is a lad at my son's dairy, in fact that would be much suitable for you. He often cares for the young calfs or sick cows, with his father. His sister is set to take their father's place with us though, and I am sure that the boy would do well, with your donkeys.
Veowyn, Vandani, Jakiewyn, Caddrick, Ailura, Túrelia, Vigri, Vinca
Maldir - you are missed

Forester of Lothlorien
Beril

"You can never have enough arrows. Always end up getting embedded in flesh or disappearing in a brush. The more the better as they say” As he laid out the money on the table, she counted the coins before placing them in a leather pouch that was secured underneath her dark red apron. “Happy to do business with you, Tenharien the elf.” Beril smiled at the barrage of questions she was getting and leaned back in her chair, crossing her feet in front of her. “Hmm..that is a difficult thing to answer”

“I sometimes work late into the morning, in fact I did that last night. Barely had more than an hour or so.” Her spare hand rubbed the base of her neck as if working out some knots and she smiled once again. “One tends to get lost in their art and well…” She waved that hand to the open forge and grinned. “This is my passion. Much luckier than most to have found something I am deeply in love with”

“For drinks, I don't mind the occasional mead though beer is becoming popular of late. They have some fruity versions but I much prefer the simple hop variety. What about yourself?” She swirled the golden liquid of the mead in her cup, watching the silk texture swirl in a rather lazy dance. “If I am awake, I like breakfast. Eggs, bacon, a good loaf of bread with a lot of butter of course” Her stomach grumbled slightly and a faint blush appeared on her cheeks once more. “Eh apologizes, talking about food has made me realize i skipped dinner..” She glanced at the sun and squinted before adding. “And breakfast...and lunch”

“The dwarves are very good when it comes to weapon making. The best when it comes to axes or hammers.” She glanced upwards and pointed to a large warhammer that was embedded into the masonry wall of her forge. The grey steel warhammer was darker in tone and the flames from the forge casted shadows across it, making its appearance much more impressive to look at. “This was another one of my fathers. Since the war is no more and there was not much need for it, he allowed me to place it in the foundry of the forge.” She said, brushing back a few stray locks of her auburn hair behind her right ear.

“It is a custom for any new forge to have a weapon that has seen a war or battle to be placed in the foundation. My Da said it brings strength and luck to it and the war gods would look down in favor.” She smiled softly, as if recalling a fond memory and laughed. “Silly superstition but I am certain a lot of races have their own. Do you have any yourself?”
Characters: Lilath(Elf) Beril(Human/Dwarf) Garreth(Dwarf) Blossom(Orc/human) Rose(Ent)

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond
"That...that is true. One for every disgusting orc and Uruk that dare glance in the way of peaceful lands. Though, we are constantly at war because of them or other reasons, but that's a talk for another day. Anyhow, twenty will do for now. I try to be accurate but battle is unpredictable. I hate losing arrows, so I will always try to replace them." Tenharien watched her counting the money, glad he had enough for to buy all of the things he wanted.

"Well that hard work paid off. You have an amazing place here and you're going to do tons of business here. I'l gonna tell every elf and woman I know to come shop here. Wait. So do you draw everything up to? Or do you just make it all from what you see in your head? I'm not very good with art like that, but I do write sometimes. Little things. Recalling stories and such."

As Beril began to speak of food, Tenharien had an idea pop into his head. While she began to work, perhaps he could sneak away and find something for breakfast. "I will honestly eat or drink anything as long as it tastes good! I do love a good breakfast. If you like, I can go pick you something up. You don't have to starve on my account. What would you like for breakfast?"

Tenharien looked up at the warhammer, wondering if he might need one of those one day. He admired the weapon but shook his head, leaving the smashing weapons to the dwarf folk. "You do seem to like things rather dark, don't you, Ms. Beril?" Tenharien smirked, looking back at her and noticing her decor around the shop. He grinned a bit, but hid it as he brushed his black hair out of his face, which was a small pet peeve of his. "Hmm? Superstitions? None come to mind right away. Let me think, while I go get us breakfast. I'm adamant. Just tell me what you want."

Forester of Lothlorien
Beril

As he glanced around the area and admired the hard work she put into her shop, a smile crept up on her face. She was proud of course but her dad helped her with the design. “Thank you, me and da put a lot of effort into it. It was but a shell months ago but da and a few of his friends came over and helped me fix the place to the standard that it is.” Her smile grew larger as she let out a small chuckle. “Should of seen the townsfolk staring at all the dwarves popping in out of nowhere”

“Word of mouth is the best way to get the business known but perhaps wait until you have the axe first” She said with a wink, her hands smoothing out her apron on her lap. “Mmm and food sounds wonderful. I would go myself but the iron is nearly ready and my attention will be focused mostly on that” Her attention drifted to the idea of food and her mouth started to water. By the old gods, she would kill for a good breakfast with some meat involved.

“Mmmm...meat…” She blinked slowly, realizing she had said that out loud and placed her hand to her cheek, hiding the blush that was quickly rising. “Apologizes but meat would be amazing. egg , bacon...ooommmm a steak?” Her sea colored eyes sparkled with excitement at the thought of a hearty meal and she shifted her hands back into the pouch, pulling out some coins. “Here please, if you are determined to go, can you grab some bones off the butcher for me. Vane and bax like to eat them” She held out her hand with a few copper coins and hoped it was enough for the purchase. Besides if bax and vane were eating, it saved her the trouble of fighting them off when they were having breakfast later. “Oh and Beril is fine, ms is a bit to formal for my taste. Do you mind if i call you elf man or tenny?”
Last edited by Liläth on Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond

"Yes, I can only imagine. It's very good work and I'm sure it took time. Why did you pick this place? I am always interested to hear why certain shops go up in certain places. For instance, my brother put up a shop just to be in close proximity to a specific path in Lothlorien so he would ensure lots of traffic." Tenharien shrugged and then nodded in agreement. "I'll be sure to tell anyone I can to come here, yes once the axe is finished haha. Shouldn't put the cart before the horse."

"Meat it is then," Tenharien said clearing his throat and looking to the side for a moment. "Bacon and eggs. Perfect. And steak ok, steak too. And yes, I'll get the bones too." He took her money and thought for a second what he might want as well. "Perhaps some juice? Or are you fine with the wine?"

Tenharien got up and tossed up the money, catching it as it fell back into his palm. "I'll be sure to get enough," he replied, moving off towards the door. I'll be back in no time, Beril. Tenny is fine, by the way. I think I'd prefer that to Elf man, most definitely." Tenharien turned to wave, then took off out the door on his war to the butcher first and then a local restaurant that he liked to frequent near his old home. "A good start to the day," he said to himself and he took his time to get to the shop.

High Warden of Tower

Food at the Houses of Healing was good; however, with slowly improving sleep patterns and returning appetite, Pele found herself longing for something delicious. It would be a bit impertinent to have the healers or even their apprentices run errands to fetch the treats she fancied, besides she was not in a condition that required bed rest, wasn't confined to stay inside and could freely move about.

Besides, she couldn't always just hide out somewhere, especially when she meant to return to full duties and everything it included. Pele made sure to apply all her will power into squaring her shoulders and lifting up her gaze, adding purpose to the quick step, as she strode through the marketplace to reach the intended destination. The matter of having to explain her long absence and most likely the loss of weight nagged at her, but she would deal with it on the go, and perhaps find suitable solutions.

Sooner rather than later she had reached bakery and stepped inside, breathing in the delicious scents that enveloped her and made her cravings even more powerful.

"Nell! Veo!" she greeted, a smile on her face, when she saw the two ladies. "It is good to see you!"

Child of Gondor
Myrtle's - Tailor

Liriel talked. And talked. And she was making Myrtle comfortable and relaxed. She had been nervous opening her own shop, and in Minas Tirith too - what if clients didn't trust her? What if competition drove her under? What if she failed to perform to the capital's standards? And there she was, accepted. Liriel who was very much a figure in the marketplace, treated her like she belonged there. She even praised her little shop. "Thank you," Myrtle responded to the praise. She wanted to thank Liriel for the rest of it too, but how do you do that?

Of course Liriel's dresses needed work. Had it been as easy as moving some hooks and eyes, a tailor would not have been needed. "We could raise the waist on this one," Myrtle suggested, examining one dress, using some pins to show Liriel how raising the skirt would place the wider part of the skirt over her belly, but also make the dress shorter. "Or I could open the side seams and add lacing." The dress would be adjustable then, but the clothing under it would show, rendering it only usable as an outer garment. "A more complex option would be to add side panels." That option would be the most expensive for Liriel, as it required buying additional cloth. "You'd need half an ell of fabric. Something that would match the colour of the trim would be best, rather than trying to match the colour of the dress." Getting matching fabric for less than an electrum the ell would be a lucky find indeed. Myrtle felt uncomfortable even suggesting it.
What would she have done had her own dress become to small, which option would she have picked for herself? Myrtle considered it, trying to decide what she would recommend. Her own kirtle was quite wide, its draping folds gathered in a belt. It could be adjusted to a changing figure, though she would hardly ever need to make such adjustments. But if she did - she'd probably take off the sleeves and open the side seams to make a surcotte, and use the excess fabric to make something for Alan. It was more drastic of an alteration than she dared suggest to Liriel though.
"Do you want all your dresses altered?" she asked instead. The baby would be born soon after all, and then the dresses wouldn't be as tight.

@Winddancer
Last edited by Galastel on Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master Torturer
Myrtle's - Tailor

With every suggestion that Myrtle showed her, Liriel had a look to suggest that indeed she was not in favour of any of them. Just the thought of raising the hemline or wearing lace was almost enough to add some more colour to her already flushed cheeks. Her husband would definitely not like either of those options. Not that he would have a leg to stand on should Liriel decide that was what she wanted, but in this case she was in agreement. Lace was for the more wealthy, for ball gowns or for elves. Not for the likes of her. And there was no way she was going to go around flashing her bare legs to everyone.

"Hmm my dear, I see what you are saying.. here I was thinking it was just an easy job of letting it out, but then of course how can you if there is no fabric. I totally did not think of that!"

Liriel gave a loud chuckle that was amusingly enough echoed by the baby that was still happily playing with Alan.

"Well, I guess there is only one thing to do then, my dear.. I will need two dresses made then. Though make them so they can be let out, should I get bigger than this.."

Chuckling again, she patted her big swollen belly, wincing as the baby inside her kicked her in the ribs.

"By the Valar, this one is gonna be fiesty! So, is that possible? As I am sure there will be more babies, I will need something to wear as they seem to get bigger every time I have one."

Again she chuckled loudly, unawares of how loud she was being in the quiet shop and again echoed by the baby.

@Galastel OOC: Is it tailor or taylor?

Loremaster of Gondor
Miller Shop: Minas Tirith Marketplace #3
Farnir NPC

Farnir, watched Vandani as he led her around the shop. She had her hands clasped together behind her back, as she entered the building. As she followed him, he saw her nod at the stocked shelves and the prices. He appologised, and she seemed to wave him off.

"No worries, my friend. Everything looks great! Your customers will be happy to see that open sign again." She said.

He nodded. "Yes. It'll be nice to be able to provide for everyone again. With things picking up again in Pelennor, I should be able to reduce prices over time again. The war really wrecked things. But it's nice to see things getting back under control again."

Vandani then asked about the carpentry. "Oh yes. I have more barrels in the supply room to be able gather grains from farmers out in the fields. These should last a good while." Likewise, he as asked about the pen and querns. "I'm far happier with the setup now. The old setup, just had one quern, and it took far longer to get any meal or flour ground for sale. How I have it now, I can far more easily get different flour types done at the same time."

That seemed to make the inspector happy. She then asked about assistants. "Yeah, that last guy ... well, I hope he is happy doing whatever it is he's doing now, wherever he is. But yes, assistants would be nice. That lad sounds like he'd be great. It's a really simple job. Making sure the donkeys are taken care of. I'd say the difficult part is keeping the querns supplied with the meal to be ground, or clean when not in use or changing to a different flour. Don't want to contaminate flours if can help it. I had a distant cousin who gets sick if eat any nut. So definitely don't want to have any nut flour in a regular wheat flour." He looked at the back of the shop towards the back door, and led Vandani back there so she could see the donkeys in action. The pens were like a miniature stable for them. The storeroom was off to the left as well.

"Like I said a moment ago, that lad you mentioned sounds great for the donkeys. I would also want an assistant to be able get the grains and nuts from the farmers and bring them back here. They'd help get it ground and stocked. But that should be it and we'll be back in full operation. I thankfully have enough grain stored away I should be good for a few days, but I'll definitely need some help I'd say by next week."

He turned back to Vandani. "Thanks again. Really appreciate this."

OOC:(In case anyone is wondering, the color I'm using for the Miller Shop is 808000.)
Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy- Stonewall Jackson
Hubris guarantees disaster.- T C

Forester of Lothlorien
Beril

Beril watched as Tenherian skipped off to go find them breakfast and she raised her hand in a salute. ‘Good hunting fair elf’ She mused, adjusting the leather apron around her legs once more. It wasn’t often that she found herself in a situation to admire the hard work that went into the building they had built but here she was, doing just that.

Her sea-foam colored gaze followed the lines of the masonry work that framed the forge before settling on the burning coal that was situated inside it. The rock needed to withhold immense heat and her father picked one that was similar to the rock used in Khazad dum. It didn’t appear to be showing any signs of being weathered or cracked and should last for many years to come. As long as she continued to treat it of course.

Her da often said that working metal and carving rock was easy work. Everyone can do it but not many have a passion for it. Passion was the key and for as long as she could remember, she always had a hammer in her hand. It was as simple as breathing. Ore, flames and weapons have always been her thing. A part of her construction if you will for It was all she knew and all she loved.

That wasn’t true, she did love her bairn. A moment of misguided passion of her youth that brought a child to this world. A child that could not and should not have been born but oh did she love the girl. Mixed races are fine. In fact Beril was one herself. Dwarf and human, odd mix but here she was. Orc, dwarf and human though...more frowned upon in these times.

Beril ran her hands across her apron again, her gaze shifting down to her flat stomach and a smile crept up on her face. Indeed, an odd mixture that bairn was but the moment she held the babe in her arms, no thoughts of death crossed it. Innocence was innocence and she could not take her life even though many would have done so. Despite her lineage, the fact her father was a hybrid in himself, the orc features were strong and Beril had to make the tough decision to let her child be raised in Mordor.

The moment she gave up her blossom, was the moment her heart broke but she was born during the times of war and it was a more logical choice. Now that the war is over sometimes her daughter visits in the dead of night. Even though times have changed, her features are still prominent enough to incite fear. The pointed ears, the color of her skin, the small squishy nose. To Beril, Blossom was the most beautiful girl she had ever seen. Far greater beauty than she will ever be but to others, she was an orc first a foremost, even if she was barely half that race in reality.

Her sea-foam gaze shifted to the forge and she slowly raised, shuffling over to it to check on the progress of the iron ore she was smelting. Thoughts of her past quickly faded as her mind turned to the work in hand. With a smile she reached back into the bucket beside her to sprinkle some more limestone on the smelted ore. It was nearly ready, the brittle skag was beginning to form the desired crust nicely. The ore should be ready to pour after breakfast, when it arrives of course, but by the old gods she was starving and it wouldn’t do to cast iron on an empty stomach. Hopefully Tenharien arrives soon and was successful in his mission of food gathering
. Oh she hopes, verra much so.

Child of Gondor
Myrtle's - Tailor

None of Myrtle's proposals seemed to be to Liriel's liking. She bit her lip. Disappointing a client. Bad. Making a name for herself as an incompetent tailor was worse than being an unknown. And Liriel was so nice to her. Nearby, judging by what she could hear, Alan was getting along well with Erland, making Myrtle all the more anxious that Liriel should leave the shop satisfied. This situation had to be salvaged somehow.
"Yes, of course I can make two dresses for you," was what she said. She measured Liriel around the chest and around the waist and around her pregnant belly, across the shoulders, shoulder to wrist, wrist to armpit, shoulders to waist and to the floor, and many more measurements besides. She wrote them all down, made some calculations in her head, "you'll need five and a half ells of fabric per dress".
"Now," Myrtle led Liriel back towards the front part of the shop, where she could offer her a seat, and they could both watch their sons playing, "let's talk about the cut?" Some women had a clear idea of what exactly they wanted, and often came in already bringing the fabrics and the trims. Others knew only that they needed a particular article of clothing.
Too many choices can confuse a client to the point that, unable to choose between the various options they choose nothing at all. That was something Myrtle had had to learn. Instead of giving the client all existing possibilities, she learnt to take stock herself, pick the two or three options that in her opinion best fit the particular client, and propose only those. "A front-laced kirtle should be most convenient for you, I believe, both for breastfeeding and for adjusting the dress as your figure changes. Or if you prefer, I could make you a wider kirtle, like the one I'm wearing, and you could drape it over your belt as is the most convenient to you." The second option was more old-fashioned, in fact the kirtle Myrtle was wearing had been her mother's, but it was a practical design, and if it made Liriel comfortable, why not?

@Winddancer OOC: It's 'tailor'. I misspelled it once, and then copy-pasted without looking. Thanks for pointing it out - corrected it. :smiley22: 'Lacing' on the other hand doesn't mean lace - it's anything that can be laced. Think shoelaces. A dress with lacing along the side seams would be something like this: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/75/67/c5 ... 1dd56c.jpg or this: https://adamselindisdress.files.wordpre ... adieux.jpg. The second one is historically accurate, but you'll notice it's an outer garment - the woman has another dress underneath. Front lacing over what appears to be a stomacher can be seen for example in this picture by Memling (1480): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... dalene.jpg

New Soul
Streets to Cartographer's Shop
NPC Aria

As Aria began the trek down from the Seventh Circle down to the Marketplace, she pondered the task she had been given by the Queen's handmaiden. Find a gift for the Queen to give the King. Aria felt at a loss. What does one gift a man who, quite literally, has everything? Or at least access to everything. She thought of gifts she would normally gift one of her family members or a friend. The King of course did not need a new cloak, she thought regretfully. He also was not likely to need a new blade or weapon or any kind, as his sword was well known to all citizens. And if she found something appropriate, would she even have enough money to buy it? What would a King possibly want that he didn't already have? Would she get reimbursed right away, or would it have to get approved by seven levels of bureaucrats?

She wandered through the marketplace, feeling frustrated, when she saw a shop with several maps in the window. Perfect! she thought to herself. A map not only made a wonderful gift, but with new roads being made all the time, information also changed frequently, and a new and updated map would be just the thing! Aria took a minute to smooth her dark hair, neatly braided, but with some flyaways after rushing down to complete her assignment for the Queen. She took a deep breath, and pushed open the door, looking around, her eyes adjusting to the dimmer light indoors. There looked to be two shopkeepers, one likely an apprentice. Aria smiled at them as she approached the counter. "Good morning," she said with a smile. "I am interested in purchasing a map as a gift. I would like it to be of Gondor, but if you have something else you think would make an excellent gift, I would be most interested in that as well!" she said cheerfully. Leaning in a bit closer, she added in a hushed tone, "It is a gift for the King himself!" she added, her eyes bright, hoping the shopkeeper would believe her and not think she was crazy or had imbibed too much at lunch.

@Durien

Master Torturer
Liriel at Myrtle's the Tailor

Liriel gave Myrtle the look that clearly said that she had no clue whatsoever what an ell was and whether five and a half of those ell's was a good thing or bad. Though she merely bit her tongue and instead shook her head as she was lead over to the chairs, gratefully dropping down onto one of them. With a grunt and a heavy sigh, she tried to get the pain out of her lower back, though that seemed to now be a constant staple these days with how heavy the baby seemed to be. Not to mention active, it was like this baba was doing somersaults in there, kicking her ribs and pelvis at the same time. And her bladder.

Liriel screwed up her face as the baby inside her kicked her again, really needing to go to the outhouse now, barely paying attention to Myrtle asking which cut she wanted. Squirming on the chair now, she waited until Myrtle finished and then quickly said,

"Darling I know you will do a fine job whichever it is, how about one of each? I trust you though, make me something nice and decent and something that can be worn outside in all weathers, access to the boobs would be great too, I love that idea! You pick the color as long as it isn't too bright and gaudy."

Liriel gave out a hearty chuckle, as it had been quite the struggle feeding the baba with her current dresses. Though of course one could not tell with how chunky the baby was. Finally reaching her breaking point, Liriel carefully rose and pulled out her money bag.

"So, deary, do you need payment upfront? And how much will it be for the two?" she asked, trying not to dance on the spot.

OOC: That makes so much more sense! LOL

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond
Tenharien rounded the bend and came to his favorite restaurant first. Well, his favorite restaurant for breakfast anyway. He knew the butcher would take almost no time to get his order prepared and so he went to order the cooked meats first. He knocked on the door and entered hurriedly. "Good morning good morning! I have a big order and not to be rude, my dear but I am in a rush as well." He smiled at the chef behind the counter, waving to get her attention as he viewed the selection all around the counter as she stood ready to take his order.

"I haven't been here in a long time. But I told you I'd come back, didn't I? Anyway, I'll have some eggs. Some boiled, some scrambled. Enough for three hungry people. Six steaks, option three, Medium-Rare. A lot of Bacon. Like a bag full of bacon. Some Tea as well. Ginger tea to help digest. Hmm, that should be it. Maybe some buttered toast as well. That should be it, yes. "I'm going to go stop by the butcher very quickly and I'll be right back to pick up the order in no time."

"No problem at all, Tenharien," said the chef as she smiled and turned to bellow the order back to her co-workers. She turned back to Ten and waved him off. "See you in fifteen minutes. Probably less actually."

"Ok, perfect." Ten backed up and pushed his way through the door, turning on a dime to go to the butcher and get his bones for the two beasts. He had time but rushed over anyway, just in case the chef got done early. She was known to be rather quick.
"Hello hello, " Ten said, opening but he door to the butcher's shop. "I have an order for a few cuts of steak and some meaty bones for some animals. Just throw them in a bag. Umm, four cuts will do."

The butcher nodded to Tenharien and cut the steaks fine and even. He wrapped them up in paper and stacked them neatly. Then he grabbed a leather bag and tossed in a butch of wrapped bones he didn't need without question. Tenharien handed him the money and bowed to the man before he left. "Thank you very much, you're a gent."
"Always a pleasure to see you, Tenharien," the butcher said with a tip of his hat. "Come back again soon."

Tenharien carried the meats and bones with him back to the restaurant which wasn't too far at all. He came around the corner and got his money ready. "Should be done which will be perfect timing." He arrived and opened up the door with a huge smile on his face, taking in the beautiful aroma of freshly cooked bacon and salted steak. "Damn, that's good," said Ten, closing his eyes to take a moment and enjoy the pleasant smells. "Ah, yes, here you are," he said, paying the chef as she walked around the counter to hand him the order. "Thank you so much," she said and went to count her coins. "Thank you as always," Tenharien said with a wink and rushed out the door carefully.

He moved through the street, heading back down to his new favorite Dwarf's armor and weapons shop, knowing the food would be good and hot still by the time he got there. "Beril," he called to her as he got to the door and entered. "Is the axe done yet?" he asked jokingly and looked for a place to set the food down.

Child of Gondor
Myrtle's - Tailor

Liriel was eager to go, Myrtle could see that. Leaving the choice of fabrics was rather unusual in Myrtle's experience, not least because it was open to abuse, but if there was one thing she knew about doing business, it was if a customer asks for it, it can be done. She could do it, why not? The fabric merchant was right next door, she was familiar with the prices, she had a fairly good idea of what would work for her customer. Dressing people was her work, after all.
Light wool was practical for both summer and winter. On particularly cold days, one could wear two dresses one on top of the other, and throw a cloak on top. The colours - rust from the first bath of madder, leaf-green dyed with weld and woad. These colours would be neither too cheap, nor overly expensive - fitting, she thought, for a townswoman with an established shop at the marketplace. Fitting for someone who could afford to designate the task of choosing the fabrics and bargaining over the price to another. These colours would go well together too - combining them would make for a lovely look in winter.

"The fabric would cost 14 electrum, and I'll need that up front. My own work would be 7 silver for the two dresses, upon delivery. They will be ready in two weeks' time." The fabrics were by a factor more expensive than the work. It made sense - so much work had gone into them already: the raising and the shearing of the sheep, the scouring, the sorting, the carding, the spinning, and the dying of the wool, the weaving of the fabric, and then its transport to the city. Myrtle named the nominal price for the fabrics, as she remembered it, rounded up a bit to be on the safe side. She expected she'd be able to bargain for a lower price, but she couldn't count on it. And if she did, well - that would be her commission fee.

@Winddancer OOC: 'Ell' is an old unit of length. Tolkien uses it in the LotR (when Sam measures the elven rope), so I'm using it here. The ell was actually different lengths in different places (e.g. Scottish ell vs. English ell). It's derived from the length from your elbow to your fingertips, but in some places using a 'double ell' became more common than using 'ell', so that eventually one started saying 'ell' when instead meaning 'double ell'. For the purpose of RP, I'm using Google's meter-to-ell converter.
Myrtle comes from Archet, near Bree, so there's really no issue with Liriel sometimes misunderstanding her. Myrtle might have an accent, use a different dialect, etc. Tolkien even mentions, as I recall, that the men of Gondor speak a bit differently than what the hobbits are used to. Myrtle's speech would be closer to how they speak in the Shire than to how they speak in Minas Tirith.

Warrior of Imladris
Image Ivor, a metalsmith of Gondor

Wandering the market

It had taken three hours to get to the second circle, as he'd stopped off at the smithy on the third and been waylaid by the boss, who'd asked him to watch the place for ten minutes and not returned for an hour, then he'd gone home to change his clothes and pick up his purse, only to be waylaid again, this time by a plate of bread and cheese being waved by his naneth.

Thus it was he arrived at the marketplace, not hungry, but clean and fresh, ready-filled with a sense of purpose.

Ivor walked past a few places, considering his options. The cartographer was busy with a customer, but that was a nice idea - a kingly gift. The apothecary was open, but there was nothing he could think of that a wife might buy for her husband that wouldn't be intensely personal, and he did not want that conversation with whomever came to demand his head.

The tailor's shop was well-attended, but what would he buy in there? A cloak? Sleepwear? A shirt? He was no judge of clothing, never mind fabrics and styles - Arwen could fight her own battles on that score. He wandered past the various perishable goods stores, quite certain that Aragorn didn't want a basket of fruit or some sort of new design of bread in his honour.

There was an armoury up here too, which he'd not heard of before. He'd have to ask the boss about that. It looked pretty busy too, so perhaps the boss wasn't mentioning it on purpose. He passed a woodworking haven and decided to go back at another time for himself. There were a couple of shops at the end of the row that took his fancy - one an artefact shop, and the other a bookbinders.

It was purely by chance that he came to the bookbinders first. Admiring the carving of the shop's name over the door, and wondering if the carpenter had done it, Ivor pushed open the door and went in.

"Good day, ma'am," he said genially as he closed the door behind him. "I need your help!"

@Leiryn Sulelinde

Dúnadan
Cartographer
Durien Arrandir
Ranadil NPC

Ranadil had barely stopped giving her a hard time and returned to his work when another customer arrived though the door of her shop. Durien set her quill aside and rose to meet her, greeting her with warm words and the hint of a rare smile. The raven haired woman was never one for facial expressions though her manner was still warm friendly. In the corner, Ranadil shot a smile at them both, but continued with his work. No doubt he'd interrupt at some point, Durien thought with a smile. Her earlier transaction hadn't convinced him she was a very good businesswoman despite her skill as a cartographer. Before she could ask what assistance she could provide for her latest customer, the woman told her what she was looking for - a gift. She arched a raven eyebrow when the woman told her it was for Lord Aragorn, but it was not hard for her to believe. After all, who hadn't heard the commotion of the men and women running through Gondor in an effort to win the the queen's silver cup? She had better make sure she presented the best of her wares if it was going to grace the halls of the seventh circle.

"A map of Gondor, you say." Durien mused, repeating the woman's words as she started moving along the shelves in the back, sorting through her options. She selected a variety of options from the wall of scrolled maps, of varying sizes, along the shelves lining the back wall, then returned to the counter. "I have many options which may be of interest to you. Firstly, we do keep in stock several large and expensive maps perhaps more worthy of decorating the King's residence more thoroughly than these that I will show you now, however, I would not recommend them in this instance for Lord Aragorn's gift. Our king seems to have less a taste for the opulent than for fine craftsmanship and quality. I have several which I believe may delight him in their usefulness and practicality and whose price may be more appropriate to the circumstances." She spread a few out along the counter.

She tapped the first one. "I believe this may be the closest to that for which you asked." It was a map, the perfect size for spreading on a large table, and covered the realm of Gondor starting from the river Lefnui and running east through Ithilien. It also ranged from the White Mountains in the North and ended by Harondor. The inks on the map were primarily of greens, blues and silver, and the border of the map was edged with those three colors in an twining, interlocking fashion. An image of the White Tree of Gondor punctuated the threaded border at the very bottom center. While beautifully scripted and gilded in metallic shades, it was more inclined towards accuracy rather than in decorative images. "I also have a similar one here that includes the southern lands of our King, which are not necessarily part of Gondor." She spread a second map, very similar to the first, out on the counter. Tapping two areas, the eastern lands of Nurn, now under the authority of the king, and the southern region of Harondor, which had fallen beneath the king's power after the battle for Minas Tirith. "Although the first map is more representative of Gondor such as it is, few cartographers have yet to explore the slave lands or the deeper realms of the south, which would make this map special in a way."

A third map appeared on the table. "You asked if I had any suggestions." Durien carefully spread a very recently created map out with slender fingers. "This one may be of interest. King Elessar has not been shy about his intentions to rebuild the northern kingdom of Arnor, his homeland. Although I doubt he has any need of a map of his homeland for himself, few here in the south are familiar with such roads. I imagine this might be handy to have when he speaks with his councillors about his plans for restoring Arnor to its former glory." The map was decorated in the hues of gray and brown long held in preference by the Dunedain. The river Lune bordered the western edge of the map, the Misty Mountains on the west. The three old sections of the kingdom, Rhudaur, Arthedain, and Cardolan were clearly notated as well, even though they had ceased to exist as such. It was both a map of the present and a map of the past.

"Would any of these suit your needs or would you like to see more?" Durien asked, stepping back to give her customer both room to examine the maps at her leisure and time to think.

@Gwai

Master Torturer
Liriel with Myrtle - Tailor

"Twenty-one electrum! You drive a hard bargain my dear!" Liriel let out a chuckle and winked at the woman before digging into her coin purse. "My husband is going to kill me for this!" she siad with another chuckle, adding "though I do think he would much prefer this to me running around naked!"

She stifled yet another chuckle as she found it really made her need to go to the outhouse even more, instead grinning. The fact that Liriel dug out the twenty-one electrum and put them in Myrtle's hand attested to the fact that Liriel was desperate to relieve herself as she never missed out on an opportunity to bargain the price down a bit. To her it was a sport she really enjoyed. However it was not conducive with a full bladder and a baby kicking it.

"Alright baba, time to go deary!" Giving the chunky baby a smile, she swooped him into her arms with a grunt at having to bend to get him. "Gosh you are heavy! Wonder what is in that breast milk!" Chuckling softly she poked the fat belly of his and made Erland chuckle too.

"Two weeks sounds fine, thank you. Oh and if you get the fabric from next door, mention that it is for me and I am sure they will drop the price a bit. Keep the difference!" Grinning she tousled Alan's hair and gave them a farewell nod, before hurriedly making her way out of the door in search of the nearest outhouse.

Warrior of Imladris

Book Binders

It seemed the dark shadow he'd assumed was the proprietor was in fact just a cloak hung over a stack of books, and the eerie quiet of the shop echoed around him.

"Ahoy!" he called out, in case she was in the back, but there was no answer.

Perhaps she had only stepped out for a moment. He wasn't in too much of a hurry, and since the door had been open he didn't feel guilty taking a look around.

The room was pretty dark, all the better to keep the spines of the books from fading, he assumed, but small lamps were lit every few feet and he could see the interior of the shop well enough. Some of the materials were stacked neatly in the main room; leather in different thicknesses and colours, reams of rich fabrics - plain and patterned, clasps and studs in different metals, all catalogued neatly in drawers and shelving. In another great bookcase were different papers, some for writing on, some purely decorative; parchments, vellums, handmade paper in any number of thicknesses, all ready to be cut to size.

Another counter held a number of tools in addition to a wide workspace, and next to that was a table with some examples of her finished work. Ivor took a look at the books thereon.

He had an idea he'd like to get a journal of some kind. There were some small versions here, and he wanted something larger - something more epic for the King of Gondor. He borrowed a scrap of paper out of the bin, and a small piece of graphite, and began to sketch out an idea while he waited for the vendor.

@Leiryn Sulelinde

New Soul
Entering the Tailors

Zev hoped he could find a suitable gift. He had never shopped for a King before, though. What would Aragorn want? He had a kingdom already. He wandered the streets of the marketplace, peeking into various shops. There were plenty of wonderful things; he was intrigued by everything, and wanted to take time to browse, but he was on a mission. A mission for the Queen, no less! A quest, really. A Queen's Quest, if you will.

He decided to try the tailor's. Certainly there would be some sort of intriguing bit of clothing there. Perhaps something the King didn't have. Maybe.

"Hello?" he called out as he entered. "What kind of clothing do you have here that's ready made? Or, erm, maybe I could buy some cloth?" He didn't know all that much about sewing, but... maybe his gift would be all the more unique if he tried his hand at it. Yes. The King had certainly never had anything sewn by a pirate before.

@Galastel
they/he/mischief

New Soul
Miller
Vandani Minrimmon ~Master of Trade

Looking over the small stable and querns, Vandani nodded again. She approached on the the pens and reached out to one of the sturdy creatures, petting its nose when it let her. She looked back to the Miller. Everything really did look like it was in order and ready for this opening. She was pleased. "I will be happy to send young Mr. Tanar to you, first thing in the morning. I will also comprise a list of other potentials for deliveries. If you find any one you would like me to look into, please you have but to ask."

She started back towards the exit. "I am very pleased, Mr. Farnir. With every thing seemingly in order, and plans for an assistant or two made, I will take my leave. I am sure you will have customers soon. I do have a few more places I would like to check in on today." She extended her hand for a handshake. "Have a good day, Mr. Farnir." And with that she finished excusing herself, and made her way back the way he had led her, and let herself out, with a swish of her orange skirts.

She headed back toward her office for now, smiling at people as the made eye contact along the way. She hoped her boys were going to meet her there for lunch before heading back to the farm.

(sorry it seems kinda short)
Maldir - you are missed

Child of Gondor
Myrtle's - Tailor

"No, no," Myrtle hurried to correct Liriel. "It's seven silver for my work, not seven electrum." If she could charge in electrum for her work, she'd be a very rich woman indeed.

Liriel hurried away. Myrtle in turn hurried to the mercer's to get the fabrics, so she could start the work straight away. "Watch the shop while I'm away, alright?" she told Alan. "If anybody comes in, tell them I'll be right back. And see if you can finish those stockings before I come back."
"I'll try." Alan made a face as he sat down and picked up his darning. He pushed his hair to one side. Why did people have to touch it? When his mum did it, that was one thing. Her fingers he liked. But why did strangers come and tussle it? Ugh! But if they were customers, he had to smile and pretend he didn't mind. And everyone was a potential customer. Now when he grew up, he'd be a soldier, like the men in black uniforms and shining armour who walked in the streets and everyone respected them. Or he'd be a brave ranger, like his father was. Then his mum wouldn't have to work so hard, and she'd have dresses from fine bright wools and silks, like the ones she made for others but couldn't afford to wear herself. Then nobody would touch his hair, and he wouldn't have to pretend he liked stuff he didn't.

At the mercer's, Myrtle had had some luck. The green wool she had wanted - the mercer had only six ells of it left. He wasn't going to sell her five and a half, to be left with a useless half-ell. And she wasn't going to pay for a fingerlength more than she needed. So she ended up getting the extra half-ell free. And dropping Liriel's name got her a five-silver discount on the rust-coloured wool as well. It stung a little that the commission she made for choosing and buying the fabrics was almost as much as what she made for the work of making the two dresses. But that was the way of the world. As the mercer rolled up the fabrics for her, she wondered what she'd buy for Alan with that windfall. Food prices were still high after the war, particularly in the walled city, but maybe she could afford to buy a duck - salted and poached, it could last for a long time. The boy needed meat to grow strong. Out in the country, she could have had goats for milk and chickens for eggs, but what would she have lived on out in the country?
It was no use dwelling on it. Now the green fabric - what could she make with the extra? It was enough for a pair of detachable sleeves for her. Or maybe a tunic for Alan? He was growing fast, and kept needing new clothes. But the colour was so fine, she wanted something for herself in that lovely colour.

"Mummy, are we going to eat soon?" Alan asked when she returned. Their main meal they'd have at sundown, after closing the shop. Some pottage that Myrtle could make over their small fire. For lunch, there was some cheese.
"Have you finished the stockings?" she asked strictly.
"I've done one," Alan showed his handiwork.
"Very well." Myrtle handed him a silver coin. "Go and buy us half a loaf of barley bread. You can finish the other stocking after we eat." Barley was cheapest. She hoped a silver would be enough for half a loaf. If not, Alan would just take as much as the baker gave him.

Alan had just gone out when a rather interesting man (Zev) walked into the shop. He was very tall, with green eyes, and hair that was white even though he didn't appear to be old at all.
"Good day, sir," Myrtle said. Her immediate instinct was to lower her eyes. Her training in the trade was that she should meet her customer's gaze. Hovering between the two, her gaze remained stuck at the man's chest - her eye level. She wished she had not sent Alan away - she was suddenly very aware that she was alone in the shop with this man.
"I'm afraid I do not have anything ready to wear," merchants sometimes brought unique articles of clothing from distant lands - that was one way fashion travelled. Sometimes she was asked to make adjustments to such clothes - that was a rare opportunity for her to learn of their construction. But she herself was no merchant. What she made, she made to size, for the customer who ordered it. "Cloth you can buy at the mercer's next door. Is there any particular item of clothing you wish made? I could perhaps assist with choosing the fabric and figuring out how much of it you'd need." She was learning fast from her experience with Liriel. If she let this customer go buy fabric without a clear idea of wanting her to make something with it, he might not return. Now, what could he be after? He came in with no clear idea of what he wanted. Browsing for a gift, perhaps? "If you are looking to make a present for someone, might a cloak or a cape be suitable? I could make one embroidered, if that would be your wish."

@Lucifer OOC: The fabric merchant is an NPC, since nobody has picked the position up yet, and my tailor needs to have raw materials for her work.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan - Nell's Bread and Pastries

The silver coin tucked carefully into his pocket, Alan skipped merrily outside. The sun was shining into the street, and there were people hurrying to and fro. All kinds of people. Here a woman walking with confidence, there a man hiding in his cloak like he didn't want to be seen, here a dignified old gentleman, there - was that an elf? He took the long way to the baker's, because why not? There were things to see. By the butcher's, while two cats fought over scraps, a crow flew away with the meat. Over by the woodworker's, where one could smell the wood shavings from outside, a woodpecker pecked merrily at a tree, looking for insects. That one was a pretty bird - black and white, with a red cap.

The baker's - if you didn't know where it was, you could smell it out - the warm and wholesome smell of freshly baked bread. Alan knew well enough where it was, of course. Everybody did, unless he were a newcomer to the city. Everybody needed bread. There were people inside, unsurprisingly. Nell, the baker, appeared busy. Alan waited, looking around at the breads and the pastries. His stomach rumbled.

@Isolde Alarion

Master Torturer
Amlaith's Clay Pipes

Tucked away at the very furthest end of the Marketplace, Amlaith's Clay Pipes store was located. It was a tiny little store, it only had the one room, the kiln kept out the back. Upstairs held the living quarters of the small family who consisted of Amlaith, his ailing wife Kelda and his nineteen year old daughter Asta.

Day in and day out, this is where the family spent all their time, Asta often the only one to head out once in a while to buy food or other necessities, though most of the day was spent by the window, pressing out an endless supply of clay pipes, letting her mind wander as she watched the seasons change through the single window, while her father sat in the other end of the room carving out new patterns to be made into moulds.

There seemed to be no end to his imagination and the designs were becoming even more fancy and beautiful, ranging from dragon claws holding an egg, which would be the bowl of the pipe, to actual heads of men and women.

Amlaith never dealt with the customers, he loathed having to haggle over the prices, though this was something Asta gladly took as her job, loving to talk with the customers and hearing stories about what was going on outside and if you had stories outside of Minas Tirith, you would find an eager audience in her and though Amlaith never joined in, one could often tell he would also be listening.

New Soul
Cartographer's Shop
NPC Aria

Aria watched in interest as the proprietress showed her several maps, all intricately designed. She agreed Durien’s suggestion that the King would prefer a functional map rather than a decoration. While she had never met the King, his reputation was well known.

The craftsmanship of all three maps she was shown was spectacular. Aria leaned over the first map with interest. She had never been outside of Minas Tirith, and she was fascinated to see the realm of Gondor represented on the map. The green, blues, and silvers braided around the edges caught her eyes as well. She looked on with interest as Durien showed her another map of the southern lands. She had never seen a map which showed these areas before, and nodded as Durien explained most cartographers had not yet been to these lands.

The third map showed the lands of Arnor, another region Aria was not particularly familiar with, with the map encompassing out to the Misty Mountains, and the Lune River. She looked at it, fascinated, as Durien explained this would be a helpful tool. The workmanship was decorated in grays and browns, sedate, but still lovely.
She hesitated a moment, trying to make a decision. She believed any of the three maps would make a fine gift for the Lord Aragorn, and hopefully the Queen would feel the same. It was a difficult decision, however. “I believe I will choose the second map,” she said, hesitantly at first, but then feeling more confident in her decision. “I think including the southern lands would give it a special touch, as you said there are few maps of these areas.” Aria had brought as much money as she had with her as it would not due to be stingy on a gift for the King, but was concerned such a fine gift may still be above her means. “How much do I owe you?” she asked the proprietress.

@Durien

New Soul
Bookbinders
subbing for @Leiryn Sulelinde

Just as she was getting to her office, she noticed the door of the bookbinder was open. It reminded her that the boys were in need of a new delivery log. She did not see their cart yet, so she was sure they hadn't made it that far yet themselves. She decided to take a quick detour. She hoped she carried enough coins with her. She had not been planning to make any purchases while checking on things this morning. However, 'a good Master of Trade is always prepared to make a deal." Or so her father used to say, and she had never seen it proven wrong.

She came into the shop, tugging at her skirt that almost got caught in the door. When her eye adjusted to the shop, she looked around. Hmm.. No Leiryn in sight. However, there was another customer, Ivor, waiting. He looked familiar, maybe from one of her last trips to the craft guild halls? She listened and did not hear the shopkeep from the back of the shop either. Where had she gone?

"Excuse me, sir. Have you been helped?" She inquired, moving to the edge of the counter. She wouldn't mind helping Leiryn close this sale, if she needed to, but she was also curious if this man had seen Leiryn at all to begin with.
Maldir - you are missed

Warrior of Imladris

Book Binders

"Excuse me, sir. Have you been helped?"

Ivor started and looked up from his sketch. His brow had quirked naturally at the appellative, and he gave a wry half-smile to the lady who'd arrived.

"Nay," he shrugged loosely. "I did have a chat to the cloak hanging over yonder, but since it ignored me, I've been - ah, coming up with something. I suppose you've heard about the Queen's Quest? Well, fool that I am, I said I'd help out. Can you source me something?"

He pushed over a little sketch. Image

It was a leatherbound book, and a somewhat weighty tome by the look of it.

"I saw some of the clasps and decorations you've used in here, and thought this might be pretty straightforward," he explained, indicating the shelves of examples and tools. "I need it filled with good thick writing paper, like this. " He flicked the open page of a book in front of him. "Quality, y'know? And bound so it's easy to write in. I've had a looksee at the leather you've got around the place - I'd like black calfskin ideally, or as near to black as you can."

He'd been looking at his drawing mostly, but now he looked up at the lady. "I know the sketch doesn't give you an idea of size, but I'm thinking a foot and a half tall, foot wide? Something like that. Maybe yea thick?" He held his finger and thumb three to four inches apart.

He grinned. "It'll probably weigh a ton and cost a fortune, but I think I'm wedded to this one. Can you give me some idea of when it can be completed?"

Child of Gondor
Nells Breads & Pastries
w/ @Veowyn & @Pele Alarion and now Alan
Nelladel, Master Baker

Nells smile widened at hearing Veowyn had time. It widened upon hearing she wished to do some baking. "Well I could certainly use a pair of eager hands." Her brows rose in amusement. "You may end up regretting your offer." she chuckled.
Just then the door opened and Nells smiled even wide upon seeing who'd come through the door. "Pele! Oh look Veo!" she exclaimed and quickly went to her and grabbed into a gentle hug. "Oh it's my lucky day! Two of my favorite people under one roof!" she laughed. "Please..come sit with us! I was about to set some tea and enjoy the cinnamon Veo brought. "
Just then the small bell rang again. Looking she noticed a young boy. She released Pele from the hug but still kept a light hand on her shoulder. "Please, you two pick a table.." she motioned to the three small tables she had set up. "I'll be right with you after I get the tea." A slight nod of her head to encourge them. "I'll be right there."

She then approached the boy (Alan) who seemed to be keeping himself busy admiring the breads and pastries. "Want can I get you young Sir?" She asked while offering a kind smile.

@Galastel
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Chieftain of The Mark
The errand rider from Edoras was sure his ride would prove fruitless. Nonetheless he unfurled the parchment he'd carried from the Riddermark, and pegged it neatly to the market notice board:

ARE YOU UP FOR AN ADVENTURE LIKE NO OTHER?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=309

THIS EDORAS SUMMER FESTIVAL CLASSIC
KICKS OFF SATURDAY, 20TH JUNE 2020.

ENTRANTS FROM ACROSS MIDDLE-EARTH WELCOMED

New Soul
Zev realized he was in way over his head. He was probably on a deadline of some sort.

"Oh, erm, actually..." This was awkward now; he wanted to give the shop business, but he couldn't exactly wait weeks for a commission, and he certainly didn't have the time or skill to do it himself. "I'm on a bit of a deadline, but- I like your work. Perhaps I can commission you for a cloak for myself and my work with the Rangers. Mine is getting a bit ... worn." That was an understatement. "In the meantime, do you have anything around ready made? Or, do you have a suggestion of a good gift for a King from one of the shops around here?" It was worth a shot. He certainly didn't know the shops well, and a shopkeeper who worked here daily would know better than himself.

"Maybe some soap?" he ventured, "Does anyone make soap around here? Kings get stinky, too, right?" Now that he said it, he wasn't so sure. Maybe Kings constantly smelled of lavender and clouds, or other pleasant things. He had pondered this with some friends once, and they had also suggested a King might smell like: oil, ducks, fur, money, cloves, and sandalwood. It must be a lot of work to be a King, just on maintaining scent alone.

He hoped that the tailor would have some ideas. He felt truly out of his depth.

(thanks to @Thalionwen, @Moriel for adding to the Kingly scent description)
they/he/mischief

Child of Gondor
Alan - Nell's Breads and Pastries

The baker seemed nice. Alan held forth his one silver coin. "Would that be enough for half a loaf of barley bread, ma'am?"
Buying half a loaf was good. Buying it in the morning - even better. In the year before the war, with the Enemy growing stronger, few were buying new clothes. People were afraid then, unsure of what the future held. A journeyman tailor struggled to make ends meet. In the year after, with the Enemy defeated, and the King returned, and wed in the White City, there were more orders, and northern fashions were in high demand - that was where the King and his elven Queen came from. But many fields had been burnt, and many men had not come home for the harvest. In those years, his mother had been buying bread by the slice, late in the evening when it was no longer fresh. It hadn't all been bad: they were travelling then. That's what a journeyman was, his mother told him - someone who travelled to improve his craft and make a name for himself. When one travelled one could find mushrooms and berries along the way, and in some places things were better than in others.
They were back in the big city now. They came in late spring, so as to be well and settled before winter. They had a home of their own. But still, holding out his silver coin, Alan was afraid. Would it be enough? Would it still be enough a week from now? A month? Would the baker still be nice to him when she realised he could only afford the cheapest bread?

@Isolde Alarion

-----------------------------------------------------
Myrtle's - Tailor

This client wasn't going to order anything. At least not at the moment. Myrtle's expression didn't change; if he left her shop happy, he might come back. "I would be glad to make a cloak for you, sir, whenever you have time. I'm afraid I don't have anything ready made, not at the moment," she's never had any, "but," she hesitated, not quite knowing what to say. Her fingers were digging nervously into the wool she was supposed to be measuring and cutting - the wool for Liriel's dresses. A gift for King Elessar - she would give very much indeed to have something commissioned from her presented to His Majesty. Her career would be made then. A tailor good enough to have her handiwork worn by the King - all of Minas Tirith would be buying from her. But if that wasn't to be, if there were no easy paths and shortcuts for her, what could she recommend to this man? She had newly opened at the market here, she didn't know the place very well yet.
"I'm not sure about soap, sir, but there's an apothecary nearby. If she doesn't have soap, at the very least she would have sweet-smelling herbs." To herself she wondered, who was this man, who spoke so lightly about His Majesty? Surely the King needed to clean himself, like any man. He could afford to bathe as often as he liked, with servants heating water for his bath, no doubt. But was it permitted to even think of that? He was the King, their saviour, was he not? And yet, they said he had been a ranger before, a ranger of the north like her Gwathmir. So he was a man, like any other man? Had Gwathmir met him? There was so much she would have liked to ask him...

@Lucifer

New Soul
Zev

"Thank you so much for you recommendation! Some good smelling herbs ought to do just the trick." He gave her a smile, and a slight bow of his head, "Look, I know I'm a bit much, and you've been very helpful. What kind of specifications will you need for the cloak? I would still like to commission one from you for myself. I'll drop by later to finish this conversation, but for now I'm off to the apothecary!"

And with that, he dashed back out into the street, searching this way and that for the sign that would point him the right way. He supposed he could have asked, but he had always been a bit impulsive. Luckily, he didn't have to dash about too long before he caught sight of a sign. There it was! With a guffaw of elation, the short Ranger went all but careening into the shop at full speed, shirtless (sinuous tattoos covering his chest and back exposed to all the world) and barefoot as he was, it was rather a wonder that he hadn't been kicked out of any shops just yet.

"Is anyone home?" he called, as he entered the shop, peering about. He tugged on one of his gold earrings, "I'm looking for something that will unstink a King! Do you have anything for that?"

@Finduilas Faelivrin @Galastel
they/he/mischief

New Soul
Bookbinders
subbing for @Leiryn Sulelinde

The gentleman looked up and showed her a sketch, while mentioning the Queen's Quest. "You mean the dinner party the queen is planning? You were sent for a gift for the King then?" Vandani's emerald eyes grew wide. "I will gladly help you! Though, I am not the owner or craftsman belonging to this shop. I do have some know-how if you will." She thought for a moment, staring at the drawing. "This is a beautiful sketch, by the way, very detailed!" She then looked at the shelves of journals, in various state of completion. Some with simple decoration, some with more intricate work. She was not Leiryn, so even though she had enough knowledge, she doubted she had enough skill to create something exactly like what this man was looking for.

She grabbed a few journals off the shelves, looking them over, then placing them back on the shelf. She then found one that was the right size, and the right kind of paper this man had requested. The design was missing just a few of the details he had sketched. She could potentially have this ready for him this afternoon, sooner if Leiryn returned. This was for the King and Queen after all, right? I could sell you this one as is now. I can add the little embellishments in a couple hours.

Then an idea struck her. There is one other suggestion I can give. My father was Master of Trade before me. He kept a rather special journal with maps of the city, drawings of shops and their layout, and details on who ran them and what they sold. It is a well preserved tome of Minas Tirith history. A history that our King was not here to witness, so he might be interested in seeing through the eyes of one of our community leaders? I would be willing to sell it to you, if you would rather."
Maldir - you are missed

Dúnadan
Cartographers
Durien Arrandir
NPC Ranadil

Durien
had stepped back to give her customer room to examine the maps and find the one she wished. She enjoyed Aria's expressions of fascinations as she viewed the maps. Sometimes the streets and lands one knew seemed different when shown from above, for maps were made as though drawn from the eye of an eagle, despite being laid out by men on horseback. That was where the real challenge of cartography lay - in creating a view of the world that man cannot see without the gift of flight, a gift seldom bestowed, and as far as she knew, not on any man currently living. It made accuracy a tricky task. Her mind was drawn back to her customer quickly, as it wasn't long before the decision was made, even if that decision came hesitantly.

"Very well." Durien replied, sliding the other two maps to the side. Reaching beneath the counter, she grabbed some crisp brown paper, and with deft fingers, she packaged the map as beautifully as she could in the simple paper. Finished, she slid it towards Aria. The map was expensive, and while perhaps the woman had brought the necessary coin with her, she might not have. Durien filched a quill from it's resting place at the far end of the counter and in an elegant flowing script, she wrote up a bill of sale and then slid it across the counter.

"The cost of that map is seventy-five silver pieces." Durien tapped the bill of sale she had placed on the counter. "If you would like to pay now, I can accept that, but I have had some dealings with the royal staff before. If you give them this bill of sale, either Lothwen or Belaith will recompense me without outlay of your own funds. " Her relationship with the royal staff, limited as it was, was helped by the mere fact that there weren't many cartographers in city and the fact that new maps were in great demand thanks the turmoil the end of the third age had wreaked across all the lands of Middle Earth...not to mention the strange friendships their new king had with various race and peoples, some most of the staff had never heard of, like the halflings.

@Gwai

Warrior of Imladris

Book Binders

"Thank you, ma'am," Ivor said, fingers musing over the book she had offered and thinking about the other. The quality of the book he was touching was lovely, the sable leather was soft and well-bound, it opened and laid flat beautifully and he couldn't find fault with it at all. Not having to wait long was also a great bonus, since he would have a little extra work to do to it.

"I'd like this journal, I think." He tapped the leather with roughworn fingers. "Though I am grateful for the offer of the other. The history of trade in this great city must be a fascinating read."

The alternative she was offering had sounded intriguing, and he was tempted, for himself if nothing else. Then her words filtered through to his brain and he started, looking up in some surprise, his whole bearing acquiring some rigidity.

"You are Master of Trade?" he asked. "I had thought you the book binder. I beg your pardon, m'Lady!" He executed a sharp bow. "I was meaning to come and see you about opening a workshop, if I may? Just a small one, maybe?" He smiled rogueishly, hoping for an answering twinkle in her pretty eyes. "I have a mind to make some pretty things!"

High Warden of Tower
Nell's Breads and Pastries

Pele hoped that Nell didn't notice how she tensed at the hug, well, at first anyway, but eventually she did return it with as much joy as she could muster.

"Tea would be excellent right about now, and so would something delicious," she said with a small grin. "Especially if it involves sitting down with you for a while and such. Though... you have customers." She looked at the boy who had come looking for half a loaf of barley bread, and gave him a smile as well. A sudden idea came into her mind to add some coins so he would get a whole loaf at least, but then again, who knew how he would respond, so Pele decided to wait a bit.

"Veo, will you join me or will you assist Nell?" she asked, nodding to the table that was nicely situated by the window. Taking a few steps to reach the table, she slipped into a seat and turned slightly so that she could continue to have interaction with Nell, Veo, Alan and anyone else who might enter.

New Soul
Cartographer's Shop

Aria watched with a feeling of anticipation as Durien wrapped up the map in brown paper. Truly, this was a fine gift, fit for the King himself! At least, she hoped so, as she realized she had very little idea what constituted a gift for a king. However, the Lord Aragorn's reputation was widely known as a man of action as well as intelligence, and she had a confidence this map would find favor, both with him as well as the Queen.

Durien wrote a bill of sale for a total price of seventy-five pieces of silver. Aria's heart dropped. That was more money than she had with her by far, and more money than she had access to. Her feeling of panic soon calmed, when the proprietress kindly offered to send the bill of sale with her, and would accept a payment from the royal staff at a later date. Aria smiled, relieved, as raising that much money would require borrowing from family and friends. "Thank you very much," Aria said gratefully. "I confess the price is somewhat above my means," she explained, although she suspected Durien had surmised this. "I will give the bill directly to Lothwen immediately when I deliver the gift!" she promised fervently, as she carefully tucked the bill of sale into her coin purse, and reached out to reverently accept the map. "I cannot tell you how invaluable your assistance has been! Thank you so much!" she said earnestly.

@Durien

New Soul
Bookbinders
subbing for @Leiryn Sulelinde with Ivor

Vandani sighed with unexpected relief, when he declined the offer of her father's journal. She had been so ready to give it, but truly it was one of her dearest possessions. She then moved to the pricing list, hoping to get some bearing on what the cost should be. She grabbed a piece of paper and started penning a note for Leiryn when they returned. She did not want the Book Binder to think anything had been stolen or was otherwise missing.

She stopped when he realized she was not the shop keep here, and he dipped into a bow. "Sorry for any deception, kind Sir." She chuckled. He then said he had been meaning to talk to her any way. "Oh, a workshop? What sort? Our market can always use more pretty things." She was still writing with the quill as she spoke. "Also, what were you planning to spend on this?"

Veowyn Silverleaf

First Pele joined them, then Nell got her first customer for the day. The elleth smiled at all of them. "Pele! It is so good to see you!" Pele asked if she was going to go help Nell, and she really did want to. However, she had not helped inside the bakery before, she was unsure of where things were and such, and she did not want to interrupt. She also wanted to help the lad out with obtaining a whole loaf. She motioned to Nell, hoping young Alan would not see, for her to sell him a whole loaf. She would settle the difference herself if she had to, but once the boy was out of the shop.

"I think I shall sit with you and wait a bit. I already told her I would help. Hopefully she will give me a task if she thinks of one for me." She motioned Pele to the nearest table, and moved to sit in one of the chairs beside it. "Mellon, you must fill me in on how you are these days. What are you up to?" Her blue eyes twinkled with her inquiry, but she was also still watching the young boy as well.
Maldir - you are missed

Warrior of Imladris

Book Binders

It was easy enough to be casual regarding the price. "Money is no object for the Queen," he said with a smile. "Whatever is fair for the quality of the components and work that goes into it and it shall be paid in full. I shall require a docket, however."

He wasn't used to talking quite so openly about his plans, but this was the Master of Trade, and if he didn't make himself plain now, it could have consequences. Besides, what was the harm in asking?

"As to the other matter, well," his whole bearing relaxed as he warmed to his subject. "I have a fancy to develop my craft into jewellery and other ornamental pieces away from the heat of the major forge. I won't be here full time as I still need that job, but I need a workspace for tools. If you can give me a space where I can safely have my own forge, that'd be great, but it's not necessary as it won't be in use much."

He spread his hands, trying to appear unconcerned, but really, he could feel his heart beating fast and if he'd been alone he'd have laughed at himself. Calm down, you're not facing the hordes of Mordor now, he thought wildly, trying to remember the last time his body had been so affected with this fight or flight response.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Dúnadan
Cartographers
Durien Arrandir
NPC Ranadil

Durien waved her customer out of the door with a smile. She was delighted to be able to assist another customer and delighted at the idea of Lord Aragorn using one of her maps. After all, wasn't that the greatest testament one could have of one's wares in the white city? She refused to let Ranadil dampen her smile and enjoyment of the moment as he stalked over and picked up their copy of the bill of sale that had fluttered to the ground with the light breeze and to which she had been paying no attention whatsoever. His estimation of her as a businesswoman was already a sour one. If it wasn't for her skill, for she was the cartographer who created the maps and ensured their accuracy, he probably would have kicked her out of her own store by now. She chuckled at the thought, and Randail glowered at her in a good-humored but exasperated sort of way as she slunk back to his corner of the chop. He resumed his work and ceased to pay her any attention at all.

So far it was a good day for business, she thought as she moved to stand in the doorway. The fresh breeze of a beautiful morning was invigorating to all of the senses, and she let the sunshine warm her upturned face as she lingered in the doorway a few moments longer. One of the great benefits to owning one's own shop was the ability to enjoy moments like these without looking over one's shoulder for one's boss. The downside was, if she continued to linger here, the work wouldn't get done. Heading back inside, she turned to the map she had been working on and decided she could perhaps start measuring and setting down a good bit of distances on it before her next customer arrived, whenever that may be.

Child of Gondor
Nells Bread and Pastries
Nell w/ Alan, Pele & Veo

Nell listened to Alan then looked at his offered coin. She'd caught Veo's movement and her smile widened slightly. It seemed she wasn't the only one with the idea.
"Half a loaf you say?" she tapped her finger on her chin in mock thinking. "Well..I'm afraid not." she put her hands on her hips. "It seems I can only give you a whole loaf for that coin there. I hope that's alright with you. I know it's more then you need but how would I sell the other half? It would dry out and then I'd have to feed it to the crows."

She turned from him and took a whole loaf of barley bread off the shelf and went behind the counter to wrap it up. While doing so she looked at the boy. She could tell his family wasn't the richest the city had to offer. Like many others the war had taken it's toll on them and they were struggling to reclaim their lives. Perhaps she could help this one.

"You look to be a strong lad, responsible too if your mother is sending you on such important jobs as buying bread." she offered him the wrapped loaf. "I've a job if your interested. I need a helper. Someone to sweep the shop.." she motioned to the room they were in. "..help in the bakery - if you can be trusted around hot ovens and the like..and to run some errands for me. I can't pay a kings ransom but it comes with a few coins for your pocket and a steady supply of bread for your table...perhaps even a sweet bread thrown in from time to time. So? The jobs yours if your interested and your Mother approves." She waited for his answer.

@Galastel
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Child of Gondor
Alan - Nell's Breads and Pastries

Alan's heart sank when the baker said she couldn't sell him a half-loaf. Was she going to give him just a quarter? But then she said she would only give him a whole loaf. That was weird. First, it meant that bread here was much cheaper than he and his mum had thought, at least barley bread. It was cheaper than outside city walls. That was strange. Unless there was something wrong with the bread - if it was a little stale, or a little burnt, it could be cheaper. Or if they'd added something to the flour. But even if the bread wasn't quite right, why wouldn't the baker sell him half a loaf? That was the second confusing thing. He and his mum couldn't eat a whole loaf before it went hard. Mum could make all kinds of things with stale bread that were tasty, but why couldn't he just buy a half-loaf every other day? Did everybody in the White City have big families, so they needed a whole loaf every day? And what about people who could only scrounge up a few coppers - they couldn't buy a slice of bread then? Was this a bakery for only rich people, and some other bakery was for all the rest?

A thought struck him suddenly - this wasn't charity, was it? He looked himself up and down. His clothes were clean and mended, there was nothing wrong with what he wore. His shoes - was it his shoes? They were a bit too big, so he wouldn't need new ones quite so soon. Could the baker tell? He hoped mum wouldn't be angry with him. "We must never look poor," she had taught him, "or we'll have no clients. If people see you have no money, they think it's because you're not good at your craft, they'd rather go somewhere else." There had been that one time in Linhir, mum had let him play outside, and a boy at the waterfront showed him how to beg. He'd gotten a whole electrum from one sea captain, he thought mum would be happy. But she'd left the city that same evening, and they slept on the road. And at night he had heard her cry. He had never done such a thing again.

Well, he had to say something, or he'd look weird. And he needed to buy bread. "I'll take the whole loaf then, thank you," he said, trying to sound confident. "Does it cost more than a silver? If you could write it up, I'll bring the difference tomorrow." That was the right thing to do, wasn't it? He looked around at the other two ladies in the shop - maybe by their reaction he could figure out whether he was doing what he should be doing? He couldn't really read them, except that they appeared to be friends with the baker. One, was she an elf? - he heard her using words in elvish. She was looking at him. The other sat down at a table nearby.

Now, the baker was offering him to work in the bakery. Alan knew what he should be saying to that: "thank you, ma'am. I'll ask my mum." For himself, he wondered what mum would say. She expected him to learn sewing, so he'd be able to help her with the work. But if he made some money, and bread besides, that was also help, right? He'd like that, he thought - making some money, helping like a grown-up. He didn't want to become a baker when he grew up, but then he didn't want to become a tailor either. He wanted to be a soldier. To be a soldier, you had to be strong. And pulling a needle all day didn't make you strong. Could he convince his mum to let him work for the baker?

@Isolde Alarion

---------------------------------------------
Myrtle's - Tailor

"I'll need to measure how long you'd like your cloak, sir, and I'll need you to tell me if you prefer your hood attached or separate, if you would like any lining." Myrtle answered Zev. "You would have to provide the fabric. It should be," she measured the man with her eyes, "about four ells."
"Have a fine day, sir, and good luck in your search!" she added as the man dashed away. Who was he, she wondered, this man who joked about King Elessar, and was in a hurry to find a gift for His Majesty? Was he some nobleman? Would he come back? A ranger's cloak - that was easy to make. Would he like aught else, something perhaps that could give her the opportunity to show real skill?

There was no use thinking that far ahead, Myrtle chided herself. One step at a time. What she needed to do now, while Alan was out at the baker's, while there was good light streaming through the window - now she'd cut the fabric for Liriel's dresses. She laid out the wool on the table, marked with tailor's chalk what she needed to cut. The pieces had to go very accurately along the grain of the fabric, or the dresses would start twisting diagonally in an unseemly manner after a few washes. That was a sign of poor craftsmanship. With years of experience, she still had this moment of trepidation before she made the first cut. There was no turning back from this point. If she ruined the fabric, she'd have to buy more out of her own pocket, or else find a way to salvage the work so well that the customer wouldn't notice anything was wrong. But the patterns weren't really complicated ones. She had made dresses such as these many times. Very soon she was tacking together the pieced of the rust-coloured dress, attaching the triangular gores of the skirt.

Her own yellow dress lay carefully folded in a basket, waiting for when she'd have time to make things for herself. Perhaps she could let Alan do it? The pattern had already been cut, the pieces put together. All he'd need do was do the seams with a careful backstitch. It was time for him to learn the craft. And it would do him good to make something that he'd see worn every day, something more satisfying than darning stockings. He might appreciate the work more then.

@Burnt Toast

Master Torturer
Amlaith's Clay Pipes

"Asta? ... Asta!"

Asta's head swivled around, startled out of her reverie. "Sorry Father." Smiling sheepishly to her father, she continued on with the clay pipe she was working on, pressing the mould down hard to form the pipe.

Amlaith shook his head, but he let it go. He wished that he could afford to let Asta do whatever she wanted to, but with how unwell his wife was, there would come a day where they would need to pay for treatment and it was all he could do at the moment to make ends meet as it was. After the war everyone was a bit more tight with their money and many could not justify the expense of buying new pipes when it was all they could do to put food on the table.

Still he wished so much better for his daughter. His heart ached to see her stare dreamily out of the window. It pained him to know that she could be out there living her own life and instead she was tied to the shop just to ensure they could keep the shop going so that one day they could afford to send her mother to a treatment facility out by the sea.

Sighing Amlaith returned to his work, his carving knife cutting another slim slice of the wood off, the shape of a dragon's claw starting to emerge. At least she has her imagination he thought with a smile as he recalled how enthusiatically she had described this new design for a pipe. He was sure it would make for quite the statement when done.

Child of Gondor
Nelladel
Nells Bread & Pastries
w/ Pele~Veo ~Alan

She seemed to have confused the boy, both with offering him a whole loaf of bread and with the job offer. "No..the silver will be enough, thank you." she took the coin and watched him as he seemed thoughtful. He thanked her and said he would ask his mum about the job. She nodded lightly, feeling like she'd somehow offended him which was not what she was doing. "Well, you know where to find me then." she offered him a small smile.

She turned to look at her two guest. "Now I believe I offered some tea. I'll be right back. " She used the time to brush off the strange exchange with the young boy and find her smile again. She went behind the curtain and gathered cups and her best honey and ohh yes..the cinnamon! Couldn't forget that. She put the tea in the pot and poured in the hot water. Gathered a few danishes and of course honey cake for Pele. Everything on a tray she carefully carried it through the curtained doorway and into the shop.
Nearing the table she set it down. Offering each a cup she set to pouring. "Now ladies..you must tell me everything exciting and new. I want to hear it all" She grinned.

New Soul
At Myrtle's, the Tailor

Zev ducked back into the tailor's shop, excited to speak with her about the cloak he wished made. He had taken the time to find the fabric he wished; a beautiful shifting grey green that seemed to change with the colours around it. It was a perfect cloak for a Ranger with a scouting specialty, and he had been ecstatic to find it. It also happened to match his eyes, which he appreciated as well.

"I'm ready to take measurements!" he called out as he entered. "How are you doing this fine day?" He ran a hand through his shock of white hair, making it stick up every which way, and gave a wink. "Here is the fabric I wish used; it'll be for a Ranger's cloak, so functionality is important above all. I don't want it to be too long, lest I trip on it, but I hope it will function as a layer of camouflage, so it'll need to give me good coverage. I would like the hood to be attached, and have no wish for lining; I will keep it light, and layer under it as need be."

He waited to see if she needed any other information from him.

@Galastel
they/he/mischief

New Soul
Bookbinders
subbing for @Leiryn Sulelinde with Ivor

"Oh! A jeweler! How wonderful! We could definitely use one of those. I know that many people would love for a specialist like that. Instead of outsourcing, or the traveling vendors." Dani tapped her lip in thought. "There is a small building a couple doors down from the main guild forge. It should be big enough. It used to be a warehouse, I am not sure of the state of repair inside, but you can send out for the woodworkers if you need any thing. The key for it is actually at the metal smiths forge." She nodded, yes that would be the best place for a shop like that. "It would take extra work, but we can install a bigger showcase window, if you would like too..."

She then shook herself. She needed to get back to the task at hand and close up this shop until Leiryn returned. She finished writing out his receipt and handed it to him while she wrote the matching copy to leave for the shopkeeper. "The amount is on the paper, just leave the coins on the counter with this page." She tapped on the second page, as she set it on the counter. "Come, let's get out of here, and close it up until Leiryn returns themself." She motioned Ivor to the door.
Maldir - you are missed

Warrior of Imladris

Book Binders

It was gratifying that the Master of Trade was happy for him to open a workshop up here, and that was all to the good, since it appeared he could move straight in once he got the keys. But all too soon she was back to business, giving him the long-awaited book he had asked for.
"Perfect, thank you, Ma'am!" he beamed delightedly as she carefully wrapped it in a muslin cloth.

Ivor took the wrapped parcel and laid it on the desk while he took out enough coin to cover the cost, placing it where she indicated. Twenty-one silver pieces was a pricey amount, but he had been specific in only wanting the best, and quality was always worth paying for. He folded the docket to keep it safe in an inner pocket of his jerkin. He followed the Trademaster out of the door and watched her lock it securely.

Wandering the Marketplace

"Thank you for that," he said sincerely. "As to the other matter, I'll get the keys fromt he guild and check it out," he nodded. "I don't think I'll need a new window right now, but I'll see what it's like inside before making any big decisions. I'll let you know when I've looked it over and seen what's what. Thanks again!"

Ivor gave a jaunty two-fingered salute and sauntered off at a leisurely pace which ate up the ground nonetheless. It was precious few minutes before he found himself in possession of a set of keys for the building two doors down, and he went to take a brief look.

Ivor's potential new workspace

Initial impressions weren't great. The dust in here was layered thick, but the actual shell of the place was open-plan and quite pleasant. There wasn't much of a window for display, but Ivor wasn't desperate for one right now. Chiefly he needed workbenches and storage, and perhaps a nice chunky table and stools on which to sketch out ideas and talk through ideas with potential customers, assuming he'd have any.

He shut up shop for now; clearly this place needed a lot of work before he would be ready to start, and he had a commission for the Queen to complete first. With his book firmly under his arm, he made his way back down to his family's smithy on the first level.