Minas Tirith Marketplace

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
New Soul
Under Construction
Bare with me

Welcome to the Minas Tirith Marketplace!

Do you have wares to sell? Perhaps you would like to learn the art of a craft? Well, this is the place for both of those, and more! Nestled within the second circle the Markeplace is filled with shops and workshops of all sorts. Anything the citizens and visitors of Gondor could need surely could be found here! There are also several guildhalls throughout the city, where folks might learn their trade. This is the place to right about the interactions within any of these places.

We have a few shopkeepers and craftsmen ready to interact with you:
Artifact Shop - @Reikon Suchi-ru
Apothecary - @Finduilas Faelivrin
The Frothy Beard (brewery) - @Oro (character Hirgond)
Miller - @Turin Ringhûn (character Farnir)
Cartographer - @Durien
Nell's Bread and Pastries(bakery) - @Isolde Alarion (character Nelladel)
Book Binder - @Leiryn Sulelinde
Bloodbath and Beyond (Armoury) - @Liläth (character Beril)
Wood Works (carpentry) - @Ercassie (character Addhor)
Grocer - @Winddancer (character Líriel)
Tailor - @Galastel (character Myrtle)
Metalsmith - @Lirimaer (character Ivor)
Clay Pipemaker - @Winddancer (character Amlaith)
Garaf-na-fuin Kennels - @Pellaadarion
Woodwrights's Guild - @Aigronding Mordagnir (characters Beren and Aileen)
Master of Trade - my character Vandani Minrimmon, ("@" me if you need her for any thing)

Don't see something you need or want, you are welcome to create NPC's and random shops for your RP needs. Or better yet, hop over to the OOC and request to start up your own or join a guild. - There is a suggested city layout, with mention of many of the different guilds >here< if you need ideas. - There are 4 ranks for shopkeepers and craftsmen Novice, Apprentice, Journeyman, and Master. Please give me 1 good post for each rank. (Novice is the getting started post where you RP first opening the shop or meeting with the Guild etc). - Be Kind - Have Fun
Last edited by Veowyn on Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:01 am, edited 16 times in total.

Scholar of Gondor
Apothecary Shop: Minas Tirith Marketplace

After stopping at the Library, the walk through the bustling Marketplace had drummed up many memories for Findy. Most were good, but there were some that she wished would stay pushed far down in her memories. She had hired a cleaning woman ahead of time to get the shop ready so that she could move all her herbs and equipment in immediately and open up the shop.

The welcome and familiar sound of the key clicking in the lock flooded her mind with the customers she had dealt with over the years. As she pulled the door open the bell above the door tinkled merrily. The shop was clean and fresh rushes had already been spread across the floor. No dust motes to wave away this time! She set her bulging satchel on the long wooden counter and began emptying it. “There’s enough here to at least get a start before all of the rest of the equipment arrives,” she said aloud to no one in particular as she patted the satchel.

From where she stood behind the counter, she had a large set of shelves behind her as well as a monstrous chest of about 50 miniature drawers -- each which would store about one or two cups of dried herbs. Although it was stained from many years of use, it was still sturdy and when she opened the drawers there were remnants of small amounts of herbs in each. Through the back door were a work room and a storage room. The storage room was full of boxes of odds and ends and she was pleased to find the set of cups and saucers that she had left behind. She would spend some time going through the boxes of equipment in due course.

The table and chairs still stood next to the counter where a customer could wait and have a cup of tea while they waited for her to mix up any herbal healing mixture or tisane. The fireplace nearby had always been perfect for hanging cauldrons to boil and would offer warmth in the winter. The main purpose was always to keep water on hand for tisanes and poultices. She looked forward to setting out the mixtures and colored bottles along the shelf in front of the display window at the front of the shop. Running her finger along the wooden surfaces, she smiled. Mrs. Privet had certainly earned her pay, which Findy would see to as soon as she appeared.

She went back out the front door to have a inspect the soundness of the building and find if the well was still in working order. The stairwell on the side of the building lead to the rooftop, and when she ascended, she was pleased to see some of the remnants of the formerly lush herb garden still blossomed, although would require tending. There were stone troughs all the way around the outside of the roof and down the center which were filled with dirt and the remains of herbs and flowers. Thankfully, most of the plants were still alive, although in great need of love and care. Some could be revived, and some would need to be replaced altogether.

Findy descended the stairs with a smile on her face, filled a pitcher with water from the well and re-entered the Apothecary shop. She began emptying her satchel with small cloth packets of seeds, dried herbs and leaves and filled about a third of the herb drawers. “Well begun is half done,” she whispered to herself. A cup of tea, but first let us get these fresh herbs hung from the hooks on the ceiling. She hummed to herself as she hung the herbs, thankful that the shop would be ready for customers soon. She set out her small mortar and pestle and the miniature set of weights. These will be adequate until the wagon arrives. With hands on hips, she stood back to admire her efforts, set the "OPEN" sign in the window, lit the fire in the fireplace and filled the cauldron with water.

Last edited by Finduilas Faelivrin on Tue May 19, 2020 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Soul
Apothecary Shop
Vandani Minrimmon - Master of Trade

Vandani stepped out of her office, just in time to meet with the elven woman Veowyn, to exchange the small crate of cinnamon she had ordered from much too far away. After the Gondorian made sure all of the product was there, the elven woman offered to take the box to it's final destination, but Dani was content to do the task herself. The elf nodded her consent, and mentioned she had shopping to do anyway. So the red haired Gondorian made her way toward the apothecary. It was a reopening gift for Findy.

She approached just in time to witness the proprietor place to "Open" sign in the window. She gently opened the door, smiling at the tinkle of the bell. "Ms. FIndy? I presume, of course." Dani shifted the weight of the small crate to one arm, and stretched out her hand in greeting. "I am Vandani Minrimmon,, Master of Trade here in Minas Tirith." Her green eyes lit with the smile that grew across her face. Then, she offered the crate. "This is a gift, for your reopening. Cinnamon; from a grove in Mirkwood I am told. There are pouches with cinnamon sticks, powder, and dried leaves. There is also a few small vials of oil. I have found that the powder does wonders as a pest deterrent in the garden, among it's other uses that I am sure you would be better suited to know than I."
Veowyn, Vandani, Jakiewyn, Caddrick, Ailura, Túrelia, Vigri, Vinca
Maldir - you are missed

Esquire of The Mark
NPC post Bradic
streets - Apothecary Shop: Minas Tirith Marketplace

A house had been rented. And he'd settled in. Well, they had. Now, there was just the chance to mingle along people. Become known. Get to know others. It was a good thing not to be an unfamiliar face, and while it was was early, he had no doubt that soon the market would be bustling with people. He had coin in his purse to spend, and things to spend it on. And the Apothecary shop was the right place to start. He had plans for later purchases, but today.. today was just for.. a first taste so to speak. A trial.

Entering the door of the Apothecary he looked around, noting every entry and exit: the door he'd just come through, a back door that might lead to storage or outside, and a window large enough to fit someone through, if necessary. Old habits died hard.
The smile on his face however was friendly as he walked to the counter and waited for the Apothecary. @Finduilas Faelivrin Good day to you!
*There was no trace of an accent, he'd lived here long enough, or traveled here long enough that while he might not be born to the White City he clearly was from the lands surrounding it.*
Kill-Stealing Skirt Wench
When others ride out to win renown, let me chosen to tend the house.

Scholar of Gondor
Apothecary Shop: Minas Tirith Marketplace #2

The warmth of the fireplace began to emanate across the room as Findy bustled about, straightening things, and preparing for customers, should any arrive. She had barely finished that thought, when the bell above the door tinkled merrily and in walked no other than Vandani Minrimmon - Master of Trade! "Ms. Findy? I presume, of course," Dani said as she out her hand in greeting and introduced herself. Findy hurriedly wiped the dust from her hands onto her apron and reciprocated with a hearty handshake.

Madame Master of Trade! To what do I owe this honor?” She brushed a few stray hairs away from her face and unrolled her sleeves back over her arms. When Vandani proffered the crate, Findy received it, a questioning expression on her face. Dani explained the gift, which drew a dazzling smile from the herbalist. “Why, cinnamon!! I have not laid eyes on any of this for ages, it seems.

Findy cradled a handful of the spice in an open palm, inhaling deeply its delightfully exotic, sweet, and warm bouquet. Eyes closed, she smiled and quickly deposited the dried spice curls back into the bag, as if their value were greater than gold. “This is a wonderful spice and useful for both culinary and medicinal use. I will portion some out for the Houses of Healing, if you have no objections of course, where it can be kept on hand to use as an antidote for diarrhea and stomach upsets and well as a sedative for women in labor. But for now, I would love to add a sprinkle to a cup of tea, if you would care to join me. I think the water is nearly ready.”

She set the crate on the counter and disappeared into the back room for a moment, emerging with a tray containing well-used earthen tea pot and several clay teacups. She set the tray on the table and began arranging the cups nearby. My wagon has not arrived yet, so the only “tea” that I have is Elderberry blossoms with a few of the dried berries. She popped open a glass jar and sprinkled a small handful of the dried leaves & berries into the tea pot. Just as she was about to ladle some hot water into the pot, the bell over the door announced the arrival of another customer. “When it rains, it pours,” she jested with a wink.

The gentleman (Bradic) who had just arrived appeared confident, as if he had lived in the White City for some time. Findy did not recognize his face, but she did notice his demeanor. He did not appear to be checking out the wares, but the windows and doors. Perhaps he was a seller, eyeing the prospect of a new customer. “A curtain maker, perhaps,” she pondered to herself. His greeting was cheerful, and he seemed to know her face and her name. Well, it had been quite a while since she had been in Minas Tirith.

"Greetings, good sir,” She ventured with a smile. “We’ve only just opened the shop and I’m expecting more supplies soon. May I offer you a cup of elderberry tea to warm your insides?” She pulled out a chair and offered the seat with a sweep of her hand. “I can tell you what we have available and perhaps you can tell me what it is you want to sell to me? Or, perhaps our Marketplace Master of Trade here can introduce us?” Findy lifted an eyebrow, though it was all in fun. She had no reason to believe this person was anything other than a traveling salesman checking out a possible new patron. “Sit here, and we’ll get to know one another.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cinnamon: Cultivated on forest edges, such as Mirkwood and formerly in the south of Harondor (prior to having been ravaged by Corsairs), where it craves both shelter and moderate rainfall. A bushy evergreen tree of the laurel family. Also can be utilized as a pest deterrent in the garden.
Last edited by Finduilas Faelivrin on Sat May 23, 2020 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Soul
Apothecary Shop

"You will get no objection from me." Vandani beamed, proud of how well her gift was received. :The elven woman that I ordered these from, says she left a note in the bottom of the crate, with an address to use to order more, in the future." Unknown to Dani, inside the envelope there was also a small packet with a seed, and Instructions on how to get it starting. The note stated it was a gift for the gardens of the Houses of Healing, and was the offspring of a tree that resided in the Adab Nestad in Rivendell. It was a secret gift from Veowyn to Findy

She was about to turn down the offer for tea, as she did have other duties within the Marketplace to attend to, when someone new (Bradic) entered the shop. She did not know this face, and the Master of trade prided herself on knowing as many people as possible. The way he looked over the shop made her wonder if he was worried about being stuck in case of disaster. She had family who did not like being inside without a quick escape route, since the war. She could not blame them. She wondered if he were much the same.

"Indeed, I would much like to join both of you, for a cup of tea. Before continuing my rounds through the market this morning." She then extended her hand toward the gentleman before them, at the same time as sweeping her orange skirt out of his way so he could still reach the chair that FIndy had offered him. "Vandani Minrimmon, Master of Trade. Welcome to Minas Tirith and the Market Place! Be sure to find me if you need help finding your way about. I am sure you will easily find me throughout the market. Although, I am never in one place long." She chuckled lightly.
Maldir - you are missed

Dúnadan
Cartographer
Durien Arrandir
Ranadil (NPC)

Unlocking the front door to her shop, Durien pushed it wide open and inhaled deeply. It was a beautiful day in the White City. It was hard not to bask in the warm sunshine on such a beautiful morning in Minas Tirith. She inhaled the fresh, albeit crisp, morning air as the breeze stirred and whipped past her, sending her assistant, Ranadil scurrying around the shop in an effort to secure a few of the loose maps on display. She wasn't particularly concerned; all of the expensive maps were housed in glass cases. Those maps were exquisite and highly valued, but she, and the shop, catered to all tastes. For the discerning customer, there were ornate exquisite maps written in a variety of languages, some never heard before in Gondor, a work of art less suited to practical use although still accurate if one could read them. She prided herself on the accuracy of her maps. Since the return of the King, maps of the roads leading toward Arnor had become particularly popular among those who wished to wander, and she kept an ample supply of well crafted ones on hand. Occasionally she would produce maps for the captains of rangers, who found themselves deployed to the farthest edges of Gondor's reach. Topographical maps of the terrain were particularly popular amid that set of customers. Those maps were often kept in the back shelves, bound in protective hard leather casings, and most who sought them out knew to inquire for them. The maps inviting the customers in were the simple, easy and cheap ones: maps of the city for denizens of other lands visiting Minas Tirith for the first time, maps for children and students learning geography, and, a surprising favorite of her customers, treasure hunt maps to give as gifts for family and friends which lead them on a wild goose chase all around the city or country in search of a surprise: treasure not included.

Tucking an errant strand of raven hair back into the thick braid that both kept her thick locks away from her face and hid her pointed ears, Durien rolled a large white stone, a remnant of the debris from an unfortunately accurate trebuchet during the war, against the door with a booted foot, propping it open in a welcome invitation to browse her wares. A scrap of a map, part of draft fluttered at her feet and she knelt to retrieve it before the wind aided in its escape. As she did, the faint smile vanished from her face and for a moment she looked forlorn as she stared at it. It was a tiny fragment of her last draft of a map of Eglarest. Although she appeared to a be a Gondorian woman just entering her prime and none in Gondor would see her otherwise, Durien was actually one of the Eldar, born in the First Age, and time had not been kind to her. Her ability to blend in with the various races and peoples of Middle Earth was a gift and talent born of both natural ability and of necessity. If she had not been able to protect her secret, she would never have survived this long. Truth be told, it was no longer a challenge for her to blend into Minas Tirith; she had been living here off and on since Elendil and his sons had built the White City and knew the land, language, customs, and people better than most citizens. There was no accent to give her away, no telltale sign to be relied upon.

Rising, Durien smoothed a pale hand over the velvety but simple and unadorned dark gray overdress she wore. It and the pale silver gray kirtle she wore underneath were enough to smooth the bony edges of a frame a little too thin, a little too gaunt. She had never fully recovered from the years of torment she had endured during her prime years of growth and never would. Even by the standards of men, she was petite in both height and girth, like she would blow away in a strong wind or break under a heavy burden. However, her flexibility, ability to adapt, improvise and overcome, and iron will quickly dispelled that illusion to a keen observer.

Stepping back inside the doorway, she noticed Ranadilwas already arranging a variety of inks and quills around one of the two drafting tables and stools in the back. Durien considered him for a moment. Durien had run the shop with his father and his father's father before him, going all the way back to the early days of Minas Tirith. Durien'sown father had been renowned among men and elves for the maps he had made, but although hers were slightly more accurate thanks to a life treading every dark path known and unknown in Arda, she had never had the artistic skill her father had. Perhaps she might have learned the artistic side as well as the practical, had he not died while she was still young early in the First Age. So while she drew the outlines of the maps, denoting the distances and scales, she had always relied upon Ranadil's ancestors to embellish and add the details. She also relied on the family to maintain the shop in her absences. Every generation, when the newest son had proved his worth as his father's apprentice, her secret had been revealed, and as she was a kind and generous benefactor, they had faithfully kept her secret. Except Ranadil's father had died in the Battle of Pelennor Fields, and young Ranadil, barely fifteen was not ready for the position. She had very nearly closed the shop altogether, but she had not been able to bear telling the hardworking lad, homeless after the war with an aging mother to support, the news. It had turned out that he was better at the job than any of his ancestors, she noted with dry amusement as she made her way to the second drafting table. She had yet to regret her decision and yet to trust him with her secret.

Pulling out a barely started detailed map of Anorien, Durien set to work. “So, Ranadil, how is Ithilwen?” She worked to keep any teasing notes out of her voice. Ranadil blushed deeply anyway, the sign of a young man very much smitten with a beautiful young woman, mumbled something and went back to work. Durien smiled, but didn't press the issue as the task in front of her demanded her concentration. She let herself become absorbed in her work, hoping one of them would notice any customers coming in.

Child of Gondor
Nells Bread & Pastries
Nelladel (npc)
Bakery

The door chimed lightly to announce her presence but Nell ignored it, busy thinking of the days work she had in front of her. She moved through the store front and lightly pushing the curtain aside she entered the bakery itself. She hurriedly doned her apron and covered her hair with a scarf. Tying it she looked around. It felt like she'd been gone for ages but in reality it had only been a few weeks. Her adopted son Andarion had seen to the place and it had run smoothly in her absence.
She told him to come in later then usual. He deserved to stay home awhile and enjoy having breakfast with his little family, his wife Laila and their daughter Ennewin who was starting to walk.

She scooped the flour into the large mixing bin and started to add the other ingredients when her attention was caught by the sound of mewling. She paused to be sure of what she heard and her curiousity peaked she went to the back door while wiping her hands. "What's this?" she asked as she pushed open the door to see an orange bundle at the bottom step. It looked up at her with large green eyes and pitifuly meowed. "Oh dear." she glanced around, no sign of a mother cat anywhere. She placed her hands on her hips. "Now where did you come from?" She asked but got only a purr as an answer.

"I suppose I can't just cast you out aye?" She sighed and scooped up the small kitten. The purring got louder as she took it inside. She wasn't fond of having animals in her bakery but she reasoned if it kept the local mouse population at bay it would be earning it's keep. She poured a saucer of milk and set the small creature beside. It instantly set to licking up every ounce availabe. She smiled at it's wet whiskers and pet it's back. It settled into purring and cleaning it's paws. "You're welcome." she said to it then turned back to her work. Distracted now with her new companion she was trying to think of a name for it. no worries she thought, it would come to her.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Esquire of The Mark
NPC post Bradic

*The man looked somewhat bewildered at the question, though not unwilling when it came to a cup of elderberry tea, as long as it was well sweetened.* I would be glad to partake. And it's an honor to meet you, Ladenmagister! *He offered, hand held out. A firm grip without excess strength that would make it crushing. Despite his appearance, he seemed well inclined to make himself comfortable for a cup of tea and a chat, almost pleasantly surprised even and glad for the opportunity.*

Now that is kind of you indeed. I came in for some dried strawberries and chamomile if you have some, but I am not saying no to some elderberry tea. *His expression well pleasant as he allowed Vandani to swipe the skirts aside and moved carefully to take a place on the appointed seat. The bright orange a cheerful note within the shoppe, filled with the mixture of scents that came with different herbs. He inhaled the familiar aroma deeply, and seemed to ease even more.* I will be glad indeed to avail myself of your services, even if I have to run after to keep up.

Oh, where are my manners indeed. *He turned back to Findy once he was comfortable settled, and rose up again to offer his hand.* My name is Bradic, though I am sorry to say I do not have anything to sell. Coin to pay I do have though! *He didn't want the Apothecary to worry over the fact he wouldn't be willing to pay. Though haggling was part of what made the market place entertaining, it was an unspoken rule that the idea was to end up at a point where both were satisfied.*

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Addhor Raxëlilta, Carpentry Novice at ‘Wood Works’
with Sadar (NPC) from the Woodworkers Guild

There was a sense from that first moment spent in walking into a workshop; the sawdust, the familiar redolence. He drank of the intimacy, inhaled the memory, felt that he were home somehow although he’d never set a foot before now in these particular premises.

There’s space enough,Sadar approved, “Forget the usual tool bench, you could fit the works in this one. Shaving horse up in that corner, turning lathe here, ..” An invitation was declared, to mentally dress the room. “There are rooms upstairs as well, well, two. And one of those is not much bigger than a cupboard but ..

His company cast a quiet eye toward the stairs. It would need a handrail. He could build a handrail. He had laboured some time under the Guild already, marking a new record as the oldest apprentice they’d ever taken on. But when one door closes, you must .. learn how to build yourself a new door, and the frame also. And so very much more.

Of course, I’ll be around until you are ready to go it alone,” the Guildman leant what he believed was reassurance. Though he received none that the offer was gratefully received. “Policy, and that,Sadar recounted. “We can’t simply be letting anybody set up shop without first checking that they won’t embarrass the guild as has trained them ! Guilds guarantee standards,” he concluded, jamming both thumbs in his belt and leaning back in pride at his own career. “Did you have a name in mind ?” It would have been customary to add ‘lad’ or ‘son’ at the end of that enquiry, but the novice carpenter in this case could hardly be considered as either of those.

Wood Works,Addhor considered the debate he had already decided, and his mentor shrugged.

I like it. Makes a lot of sense, that. Course, there’s a lot of our lads about the Marketplace,Sadar was so committed to his spiel that Addhor was beginning to wonder which of them the Guildman was trying to convince. “Wheelwrights, coopers, even that fancy lad as makes musical instruments ... others that have ‘turned’ their hand to all this furniture and the like ..

An uneasy silence chased the hint of the carpentry pun. The former Ranger smiled, graciously. “So there’ll be competition same as comradery,” the warning was issued, adopting the guise of smallprint, that both men quickly skirted over. “You’ll have to bring something to your ‘Wood Works’ as no other has to offer. Stand out. Think you can do that ?

Addhor offered his old friend a calm nod by way of approval. The sun painted a lattice of the wide wooden window frame across the dusty floor. Soon enough the Guildsman returned to his narrative, thoughts and ideas leaping from his lips, albeit with the assurance of some necessary supervision.

There was only one way to find out if the new tradesman had what it took, and that was to let him try. “I’ll organise the paperwork then, with Vandani,Sadar concluded. And the dream of a new beginning, quietly commenced.
Last edited by Ercassie on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

New Soul
Cartographer
Veowyn Silverleaf

Veowyn had been pleased with the order she had given the Master of Trade. It was the first order she had been able to bring to Minas Tirith herself in quite some time. She had been overly generous with it, but that was her usual way of things, wasn't it. She had kept one jar of powder for another gift of her own, though. She walked down the street, excited to see it to it's destination. Down the way she could even see the person it was destined for, Nelladel! Veowyn used all her strength to keep her green city shoes from running forward. Nell was just getting the bakery running for the morning, Veowyn would wait and give her a moment to get situated. She did have a purchase to make while in the Market, as well. That could happen first, so she turned herself toward a different destination.

She soon found the Cartographer's shop. She placed the jar back into her satchel, and pulled out her poor tattered map. She was in desperate need of a new one. She knew the path she sought, but sometimes her human companions liked to question her, so she needed to have one she could share that they might know her truth. She slowly stepped through the door way, while brushing a loose curl behind her pointed ear. "Excuse me," she spoke, her bright blue eyes looking between Durien and Ranadil. "Could either of you help me? I am in need of a new map. One that covers the distance from here to the forest of Mirkwood, with maybe extra focus on the areas between Gondor and Rohan?" She offered up her tattered map, as a silent offer of explanation. "I believe this is the same shop where this one came from, though it has been some time." Her half smile shared that she was not at all proud of how bad the parchment looked.
Maldir - you are missed

Forester of Lothlorien
Bloodbath and Beyond
(For all your War and Death needs)

Front Of House

As you approach the front of the store, you notice it is quite idyllic and pleasant looking. The sign is weathered but the property looks well kept and clean. With the trading of animals, it is hidden from the main part of the marketplace and considered rough because of the folks who frequented this area. Majority of the customers who enter the store are either military or the kind that wish to remain secretive due to the nature of their profession. As long as the coin is acceptable, she will never turn down a job. The front door is made out of oak, the windows are clear and if you peeked inside you would see an arrangement of weapons and armor pieces. A large dog by the name of Vane is usually found lounging in front of the store front and as you go to enter the building, he will normally raise his head in greeting.

Interior of Bloodbath and Beyond

As you open the front door to gain access into the shop, a green woolen blanket must first be pushed aside to see the interior. Annoying yes but it stops all the dirt and dust coming into the store from outside. On the walls, benches and barrels are an assortment of weapons and armor. Most of the items are display pieces only and for your viewing pleasure. Should you require an item that has caught your eye, you are more than welcome to inquire with Berlin who will normally be found in the forge out the back. Please note that there is a rather strange looking feline who will alert Beril of your presence if she is not working on a piece in the storefront.

The Forge

The space in which she forges most of her weapons and armor is located in the back of the store. Unseasoned wood, some coal, buckets of various ores and moulds are found scattered randomly around. Due to its open space, it is ideal for those that wish to shoe their horses without the inconvenience of being tied at the front of the store. Normally customers are not allowed in this area unless of course you want a wagon or cart to be fixed or your horse to be shoed. It is better to inquire inside before proceeding to the back. Beril is known to lose her temper, so asking first is advised.

Bit of Beril- The more you know-

Nestled close to where horses and livestock are traded, just shy of the stables, sits a store called Bloodbath and Beyond. Most common trade of this store are weapons and armor, however the odd horse shoe is done if needed. In fact she is known to do the odd knic-knacks, if ore is involved and for the right price of course.

This store is owned by Beril the Blacksmith. Considering the nature of her profession, Beril is a larger built woman and has the deposition and attitude of a Dwarf. This was mainly due to the fact she was raised by one since she was a babe. Gareth, her foster father, is a blacksmith, so for most of her childhood she was helping him in the forges of Khazad Dum. Under his grumpy gaze and many rebukes, she picked up on a lot of techniques she wouldn’t normally have if she trained under a blacksmith located in Gondor.

Because of where she lived, she also dabbled in weaponsmith and bladesmith techniques. So her general knowledge for weapons and armor is extensive. Elven, Gondorian and Dwarven weapons and armor are her most requested and sought after items though she has been known to do Numenorean and Orcish styles as well. If it is weapons or armor, no matter what style is desired, even hard to come by, she will forge it.
Last edited by Liläth on Fri May 22, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Characters: Lilath(Elf) Beril(Human/Dwarf) Garreth(Dwarf) Blossom(Orc/human) Rose(Ent)

Child of Gondor
Nells Bread & Pastries
Nelladel (npc)
Bakery

Loaves of bread were baking in the oven filling the room with the fresh aroma of her mornings efforts. She loved that smell. She wiped at something on her nose with the back of her hand. Flour most likely, she tended to wear it by the end of the day and go upstairs to her little apt with a dusting of flour she had to shake out of her black hair and off her dress.

She glanced over to her new "business partner". The kitten now lay curled up on pile of flour sacks. Content with it's meal and now enjoying the warth of the bakery. She was trying on names for it. Tarken. No. Rane? No. Muffin? She amusedly chuckled at the suggestion. "No.No...I can't do that to you." She spoke to the still sleeping beast.
"Beasty" she thought out loud. Well, it'd better have some beast like tendancies if it expected to stick around her bakery. "All mice will tremble at the mear mention of your name!" she smiled and nodded. Well. Beasty it was. It seemed to agree and peered a lazy green eyed glance her way.
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

Forester of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond - Armoury / Blacksmith

Beril

‘Banâth zîrân’ Nimble fingers made quick work of the etching in Adûnaic on the silver locket that was entrusted to her. ‘Beloved wife’ it read, the cursive letters were both beautiful and intricate as she tabbed the chisel for the last time, completing the delicate work. Her fingers, nimble and strong, tilted the locket upwards as she blew air softly onto it. "Galdul"She proclaimed, satisfied with her work as silver dust shimmered in front of her. ‘Galdul’ or ‘Worthy’ suited the moment perfectly and she was certain her father Gareth would be impressed with her work. Even if it was a locket and not a mighty axe.

The hustle and bustle of a normal marketplace was uncommon here, instead the sounds of animals were forever present. It was a calm environment and she much preferred it here compared to the inner areas of the bustling city. For many a year, Beril had been traveling across the earth. Studying the various techniques of her craft but now that she had completed her training to her father's satisfaction, she had situated herself in Minis Tirith. Of course her Da wanted her to remain in Khazad Dum but she felt the pull of her own race. Dwarfs are fine to be around but sometimes man can be more interesting to look at.

The twittering's of early chatter from the local birds signified the beginnings of a brand new day. Vane, her wolf hybrid, tapped his heavy tail on the wooden floor and huffed slightly. If ever there was a time he did not enjoy, mornings were it.
“Bakn galikh, nadad.(good morning, brother)” She murmured softly and dropped her left hand to rub the top of his head gently. In her right hand she clasped the silver locket but the silence of early morning will soon be finished and the shop she wished to start, must be opened. With a sigh, she slipped the locket into the pocket of her tunic and ran her fingers across the base of her neck, working out the kinks before she attempted to move off the stool.

Sleep was a pleasant idea and yet again she worked through most of the night. Since a young age, she had always been fascinated with ore and manipulating materials with fire and force. Maybe it was the teachings of her father or perhaps his friends she was raised around but all she knew was ore, heat and hammers. So while a locket is not what she would normally construct, she did like the simplicity of such a piece and it also put her mind to ease. Some people go for a long walk or jog, she tends to carve cursive writings into items to relax.

The first clocks of horses being moved out of the stable nearby signified the beginnings of the day and with a smile, she shifted herself off the stool
. “Time to open the shop no?” She asked, glancing down at the sleeping wolf lying at her feet. A soft tsk came from the back of her throat as she proceeded to walk around the oak counter towards the heavy oak door, unbolting the lock to allow customers to enter. With a light of her match, she lit the various oil lamps that were situated around the shop and blew out the flame when she was done. The place, though scattered with weapons and armor, looked warm and inviting. Beril hoped that anyone who entered would notice that she put a lot of care in the décor, even if it was an armoury.

Auburn disheveled strands of hair escaped from the hasty braid she had placed it in last night and she quickly walked over to one of her shields, using the metal surface as a mirror while she adjusted and tidied up her appearance. Just shy of thirty eight, Beril was nearly mid way in human ages but being mixed, she barely looked twenty five despite her stocky frame. Her face round, her cheeks plump and no wrinkles to be seen, she was quite blessed indeed though her Da consistently reminded her that until her hair was white, she would remain a child in his eyes.

A soft smile crossed her lips at the memory as she adjusted the apron around her and glanced once more around the room to make sure everything was in place. With a satisfied nod, she bent down to scratch Vane behind his ears and said
. “Let the morning be fruitful Nadad” before she headed out the back of her new shop to make sure the forge was lit and ready for whatever customers came her way.
Last edited by Liläth on Sat May 23, 2020 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Characters: Lilath(Elf) Beril(Human/Dwarf) Garreth(Dwarf) Blossom(Orc/human) Rose(Ent)

Scholar of Gondor
Apothecary Shop: Minas Tirith Marketplace #3

Findy gratefully pressed a cinnamon packet up to her nostrils and inhaled deeply. She noticed the envelope at the bottom of the box and decided to wait until later when she had a private moment to peruse its contents. “Veowyn.” She smiled. That name was like warmth dripping from the top of her head to her toes - she was always so thoughtful. Vandani welcomed the stranger, Bradic, to join them at the table.

Bradic expressed his desire for some dried strawberries and chamomile. As Findy filled their cups, she looked up, as if she was trying to recall whether she had both of those requests on hand. “Well, I always have plenty of dried chamomile.” She set down the pot and reached up above her to unhook two bunches. “You can have this just as it is, or I have some that has been distilled so it can be added to a carrier oil or mixed with honey if you like. “The wild strawberries have been more difficult to find during this season, though I do have a few handfuls of dried strawberries and leaves from last season. You are welcome to those. I have more coming with my wagon when it arrives in a day or so. I used to cultivate large strawberry plants on the garden roof, but they died away while I was away. She was already itching to get her fingers dirty in the gardens.

She pulled out the chair and joined them at the table. “Better drink this tea before I get carried away. Would either of you like a pinch of cinnamon in your tea?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lawn Chamomile: Grows wild in stony ground. Known to settle nervous disorders, stimulate the appetite and cleanse the blood. Can be made into herb beers, hair rinses and eye lotions as well as cosmetics and perfumes. Parts used: while plant for distillation; flowers for essential oil and teas.

Wild Strawberries: Can be grown in any soil except clay, and when in season can be found almost anywhere as long as the birds don’t get them first. The fruit (mildly laxative, rich in iron), leaves (tea, both diuretic and astringent) and roots can all be used medicinally.

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath and Beyond

Tenharien stopped by his old house and visited his good friend who was still asleep for some reason this morning. Perhaps he should have been too. Instead, he was up and about early today against the better judgement of his tired body. Usually he did some light stretching and a short workout upon waking, but today he was excited to be in his second home and wanted to savor every precious second before it was time to go back to Lothlorien for a while.

He carried only his bow and arrows with him today. A birthday gift from his mother long ago. He had other bows, but this was by far the best. His other weapons stayed with his horse back at his home in the fifth circle of the white city. For now however, he ventured off to the marketplace of Minas Tirith. His famalies store used to be near in the market so Tenharien was familiar with his surroundings. Today was different though. He noticed a new shop and his eyes lit up when the weathered sign read: "Bloodbath and Beyond? Bloodbath? What the?"

Tenharien tilted his head and then smiled as he walked straight for the shop. "This is my kind of place," he said as he knocked on the door and entered past the dog that lay there just near. he waved at the beast who looked up at Ten while he passed.
"Yes this is my kind of place!" Tenharien spoke, pushing the green cloth to his left while he stepped on inside.

"Wow, look at all of this." Tenharien placed both of his hands behind his back and just strolled along to admire the first few swords he saw before he did anything else. "I wonder how much money I will spend in here over the years."

Forester of Lothlorien

Beril

“By Mahal! Stop gawking and move out of the way, you tall pointy-eared man” A sudden loud voice boomed behind the elf Tenharien as Beril adjusted the heavy basket in her arms and nudged the back of his leg with her foot in an attempt for him to move to the side. “I swear, the longer you stand there, the less patience I have.” Her eyes, the color of sea-foam, flashed as she side-stepped around him and placed the basket of ore at his feet. “Carry this and follow, I am a busy woman”

Beril pointed to the basket as she turned on her heels. Her heavy boots resounded around them on the oak floor before she bent down and lifted another wicker basket, placing it against her full hip to distribute the weight properly. Iron ore was annoying to carry and even more annoying when you have someone in your way.
“Someone?..” Her brow furrowed as she bit her lip, pondering the puzzling situation for a moment.

Those sea green eyes shifted back to Tenharien, her head tilting much like a puppy would do as the auburn curls of her thick braid became loose again, framing the fullness of her face. It took a brief moment for it to click that this was not Khazad dum and that it was in fact, the first day her shop was open to the public. She had just yelled...at her first...potential customer...and called him..pointy eared.

A slight tinge of red brushed across her cheeks as the embarrassment of her actions flooded over her and she sighed, blowing a lock of hair out of her eyes. Well, it was too late now and who was she kidding that she was a ray of sunshine and roses? It was easier to pretend when she was signing the contract for her store but sometimes, her upbringing, had a habit of slipping and ruining any good intentions.

“The forge out the back” She said as she turned on her heels and headed past the counter to the oak door behind it. With a kick, she pushed open the door with her boot and walked inside. Beril wondered if the elf would follow her to the forge. If he was a future customer of hers, he would need to get used to her but why wait? isn't better to rip off a bandage sooner rather than later?

The unusual looking feline that was currently lounging on the counter didn’t react to any of this mind you. It’s ears flicked slightly but this side of her owner's personality was nothing new or strange. An unfamiliar scent but not unwelcoming came from the stranger in the room and she mewled softly in greeting to him, tail flicking before she curled up into a ball. It really wasn’t any of her business.

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond

"You are busy? Already? Well who am I to ask, I suppose. And I'll have you know, my ears are not as pointy as most elves," Tenharien smiled as he moved aside and looked the woman up and down. He followed her for what he did not know, but did so anyway. He kept his mouth shut for the time being, wanting only to listen to her troubles.

Tenharien looked down at the basket and then back to her. Then again to the basket and back to her as he lifted it with his right hand.
"Cute," Tenharien said with a brighter smile as he noticed the redness in her chubby cheeks.

"The forge? How did you know I wanted something made opposed to wanting to buy something quickly? Perhaps I am also busy?" Tenharien shrugged as she turned again and moved along with her. "Alas, you are right as it is. I would prefer to have something made custom. "You must be very good to catch on so quickly. I've brought my money to the right place. To the forge then, my lovely Blacksmith."

Tenharien followed, but to close, gathering that she would want her space. "I will need to see your work first of course, before I make any decisions. Unless, this is all of your work. Then I am already impressed." He set the basket down when they arrived to the forge. Looking around, Tenharien nodded in approval and began to walk around but kept his distance in the open space, fearing she would not want him standing around again.

Esquire of The Mark
NPC post Bradic

No cinnamon for me, thank you. I am hoping the chamomile will help me sleep, though if you have any other remedies to recommend I would be glad to listen. My mother always said to never tell the barber or the healer how to do their job.
*He seemed ready to settle in for a cozy chat before getting his purchases. Clearly from what he said, he knew enough about herbs not to poison himself with a kitchen garden, but there was a difference between basic knowledge common in most households and the skills of an Apothecary, able to combine and mix things to the perfect quantity.*

Dried strawberries will be perfectly fine, when added to a good porridge. They plump up in the kettle, though I haven't used the leaves for anything. I am sure we'll all be grateful for some added sweetness. I am not a cook by trade or by nature and I fear they've struggled through some unfortunate meals before. I figured a treat would be a good thing.
*He glanced at the Laedenmagister for a moment, considering the bright orange skirts which indeed would make her stand out in a crowd. Mentally he added up facts here and there. A little thing about the layout of the store, a tiny detail about the lay out of the market place and the arrival of a wagon. Information was always good. For anyone.*

Forester of Lothlorien

Beril

The door behind her leading into the store pushed open and Beril turned, placing the wicker basket next to the open forge, hiding her smile. The elf Tenharien, maybe against his better judgement, didn’t seem to be concerned with her nature and the fact she didn’t scare him off, was a nice change.
“If you were busy, I doubt you would have had time to appraise the items I have displayed in the shop” She murmured, placing her boot on the base of the brick forge for leverage as she pulled on a rather thick metal chain, revealing a bucket from the fiery depths.

“Everything you saw in the front are display pieces. Some people have sticky hands and I am not allowing my hard earned work to be taken by ones who will not appreciate the effort or time I put into each piece” She wrapped the chain in place on the iron hook to hold the bucket steady and stood back, shaking it once to make sure it was secured in place. With a satisfied nod, she lowered down into a squat next to the wicker basket and tucked a loose auburn strand behind her right ear. “All display pieces are replicas of my designs, so if you are impressed already just wait until you held the real thing”

Her slender fingers sorted through the various sizes of ore and deposited the ones she deemed worthy into the bucket hanging overhead. She had an idea earlier this morning to make a bronze coated iron broad blade and now that she was focused on it, she felt the familiar itch for the item to be completed. The iron ore deposits in the basket are heavy, rough and brown in color and to an untrained eye, it seemed to hold no value. Once processed correctly, the minerals would separate, leaving any imperfections to rise to the top of the bucket. It was never a guarantee that there wouldn’t be any unwanted minerals once it melted to the degree she needed to shape the blade but if she took her time, it was a low percent at that.

“So elf with ears that are not as pointed.”
She casually repeated as she lifted upwards again from her squatting position, happy with the ore deposits she picked out. Beril rolled back her sleeves and tucked them in place on the ball of her shoulder, dark dwarven tattoos formed bands around her arms. Muscles from years of blacksmithing, sometimes unappealing to the female form seemed to suit her perfectly. They strained slightly as her hand grasped the chain, unwrapping it from the hook and lowering the heavy bucket into the blazing inferno that her burning coal and unseasoned wood was making in the open forge.

“What kind of weapon or armor were you interested in?” She asked curiously. Now that her ore was melting, she had time to focus on the elf who was casually walking around the area in which her forge was situated. The area was open because the forge itself was large. The forge was made out of mud, brick and clay. The treated combination was hardened and could withstand a good deal of heat. If one was to fall accidentally into the forge, it would be a quick death. The chances of them feeling anything was highly unlikely.

“If you don’t mind, can you bring that other basket to me?” Beril blew at a stray lock and lifted the half full basket to place on one of the workshop benches she had in the area. Tools of all sizes were scattered across the wooden benches. A rather large anvil and a larger hammer was just right of the forge. Moulds for blades, armor and various items were stacked and placed neatly in brick shelves that were designed to be part of the walls that held the roof in place. It was a sturdy area and the open sides allowed the smoke to escape and easier access for wagons, carts or horses to enter.

“I know that most of you like greetings, so well met man who is an elf.” She dusted off her hand before offering it to him. Those sea-foam eyes glinted with hidden amusement as she looked at him and a smile appeared on her face. “My name is Beril

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond

"Of course. I'm not pressed for time at all. In fact, I actually planned to spend all day here," Tenharien said with a grin, knowing that might annoy her. "I hoped to watch your process and ask you a thousand questions about this new store and about yourself. Hah, obviousl I'm joking. I am only going to ask you a hundred questions." As she pulled the chain and watched her reveal the bucket, Ten cracked his neck and stayed out of the way, feeling very impressed with the forge. He had only been in a few but he knew when he should be impressed with one more than another.

"You worry about thieves in Minas Tirith? You'd be right to do so of course, but I wouldn't think they would be dumb enough to steal from the likes of you, Miss. Say, what is your name? I must know who will be working on my weapons and armor from now on mustn't I? But anyhow, they are lovely displays. Very good products. Still, I need something special. In fact, I need something that I have no real experience with, save for the testimony of my good friend, Bal."

Tenharien watched her work, leaning up against a door out of her way. "Your Tattoos are special to you? They look like they mean quite a bit. Though, I have met people who have gotten tattoos for fun." She looked fit. Very strong, which was admirable. Tenharien always got along well with people who trained and took care of their minds and bodies. "Hmm, I was right. Everything in here is impressive," Tenharien said looking from her arms up to the ceiling and walls to take it all in.

"Oh, and excuse me. My name is Tenharien. It is lovely to meet you, my brawny Blacksmith. It happens, that I am in the market for a Battle Axe. It will be my first axe and so I may defer to your expertise and helping me with it." Tenharien walked over to pick up the basket and carry it to her gladly. "I don't mind at all," Ten said with a smile, happy to be in the presence of someone who knew what she was doing. She was definitely the right person for the job. He looked her in the eyes and smiled, setting it down for her as she moved about. Tenharien smiled back at her without so much as a blink from his chocolate brown eyes and shook her hand firmly, not worrying about whether or not it was dirty. "It is wonderful to meet you Beril."

Child of Gondor
Elphir
Apothecary Shop

The day was fine and warm. The sun played on white walls and colourful displays of merchandise. Despite the heat, a man walked through the marketplace hooded and cloaked. He rolled his feet from heel to toe, his footsteps making nary a sound on the cobbled street. One might have thought he had spent time in Ithilien - rangers had a habit of walking like that, but there was something uneven about his gait. And also, rangers walked tall in their home city. This man - his back was bent, and he held his head low. Under the hood, his face could not be seen at all. A door slammed, and the man stopped in his tracks, his shoulders tensing. A moment, then he relaxed and continued walking.

He stopped by the apothecary shop. Even as he did, a sudden gust of wind made his cloak billow, revealing a dark green doublet of very fine make, its empty left sleeve tucked into the man's belt. Hurriedly the man caught the edge of his cloak with his right and closed it back around him, so that again little of his figure could be seen. He entered, and hesitated by the door. The lady apothecary, Finduilas Faelivrin was busy with two others. Perhaps he should come back later.

Forester of Lothlorien

Beril

“A firm shake indeed..for an elf” A throaty peal of laughter escaped and her smile widened at the obvious humor she found in her own words. Her eyes crinkled in amusement as the laughter subsided and she placed one of her hands on her hips, her voice dripping with curiosity. “A hundred questions is fine for now but I waver from the most important question of all..”

Her seafoam eyes sparkled as she moved closer to him, closing the gap that was previously between them. “Tell me elf whos name is Ten. What kind of weapon were you after? Is it Mithril? Obsidian? Silver?” Her words were hurried, her face was bright and the enthusiasm in the green depths were undeniable. “A broad blade, a dagger, sword, bow?” She took a step back and appraised him for a moment, eyes shifting from the bottom of his shoes to the top of his head before she went on her tippy toes and thoughtfully tapped his head with her finger. “Mmm maybe a scimitar? I understand they are used by the Wicked people but they are fine weapons..verra fine”

“Of course thieves are everywhere and this place would be no different. Stupid of course for them but you can never be careful. Bal? Bal..i don’t know a bal..” She paused, her eyes darting to the bucket as if checking the progress before they returned to the elf in front of her. “Tattoos are just a form of expression and memories. Many men I have seen with these and each one signifies a dwarf or moment that shaped me to who I am...” Her hand rubbed the dark banded tattoo in a self conscious manner, it wasn’t often that people enjoyed the detailed art that they were and especially an elf. Spirit, mind, body all one yada yada. They honestly need a few tattoos and piercings for themselves. A snort came from her as she imagined an elf with a nose piercing and thus, highly amused with herself once again.

When he mentioned a battle axe, her eyes lit up and she grabbed his arm, excitedly.
“OH AN AXE! AYE..COME ELF, COME!” She exclaimed, shifting her hand from his arm to his hand as she pulled him back towards the store. A spring in her step indeed for she had a few axes the man might like. Oh how she hoped he loved them as much as she did! It was so verra nice to find someone who enjoyed weapons as much as she did despite the fact he was an elf and not a dwarf but oh, how much fun!

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond

"Hmm, did you think my handshake would be as shaky as a twig in the wind? I work out and train two to three times a day. Mostly because of my profession. I like to look good and feel good." Tenharien smiled again when she laughed, glad that she had a sense of humor. "The most important question? Marri-Oh? Oh yes."

He brought his hands behind his back and looked down into her eyes as she closed the space in between then. She began to blast a barrage of questions his way and he stifled a chuckle, finding her quite thorough. "Well I..." Ten listened carefully when she explained about her Tattoos. "Are they just on your arms? Or other places?" Tenharien asked with a playful smirk, wondering what reaction he would get from her.

"I have been thinking recently about getting one or two. I'd honestly rather have them that jewelry, which gets in the way during battle. And I always have to take it off when I'm training. Personally, I keep mine in a box near my bed and I only wear it when I'm with family, or maybe at a party. Do you frequent many parties, Beril?"

"Huh? Oh ok!" Tenharien was grabbed by the arm and went with her willingly as she lead him by his hand. "Your hands are very warm," Tenharien said, wondering why the prospect of making an Axe had gotten her so excited. "Are axes your speciality, or something of that nature? Either way, I'm glad to see your enthusiasm. This will be my very first axe. I mean, I've used them before, but never owned one. So I guess you could say, I'm an Axe Virgin."

Forester of Lothlorien

Beril

With one hand clasping his own and her other pushing open the door leading back into the front of the shop, his comment about her hand being warm caused her to pause for a moment. She tilted her head backwards, her disheveled auburn braid dangling to brush against her hips as she raised an eyebrow and said. “Of course they are warm, silly elf. I play with fire and Fire is verra warm indeed” She winked and lifted her head again as she stepped back into the store.

It was such a silly comment but his hand wasn’t as warm as her own. Now that he had mentioned the difference, her attention shifted from the axes to his hand. It was cool to touch really not that it was unpleasant, just unusual. A small tinge returned to her cheeks as she let go of his hand and moved quickly to one of the large chests near the counter. She was so used to grabbing the hands of her father's fellow smithy’s that it just happened naturally.
Beril, it isn’t natural to be so forward here.” She scolded to herself, half her body disappearing inside the chest, almost tittering on the edge of the lip as she tried to reach one of the weapons she had buried underneath.

The strange feline that was curled up on the counter lifted its head the moment they entered and yawned again, paws padding the oak wood as grey eyes shifted from her owner and the elf. With a tilt of his head, his back arched as he stretched and mewled before leaping off the counter, rubbing his face against the bare calf of his owner and not knowing it most likely wasn’t the best place to be.

“AH HA!” Beril exclaimed loudly, her voice muffled from the inside of the chest. “Ahh, yes, you will like this one verra much. It belonged to my father, so a bit battered from the war but it is a fine battle axe and the designs on the hilt are elven. I am sure, if you like it, I can make you one just like it.” Unbeknownst to her and far too distracted about finally finding the axe, Beril didn’t notice her Feline companion Bax was curling around her legs. So when she lifted with the axe high above her and stepped back, her right foot hit him and her left snagged on the rug underneath her. “Oh Son of an Orc Whore!” She cursed, seeing the ceiling all too suddenly as she braced for the sudden impact that was immediate. Well thankfully she found the axe so at least if she died impaled by it, it was the way of her dwarf kind.

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond

"Yes, I was taught about fire haha, I just meant it was a shock is all. A nice one. People's hands are not usually that warm. Well anyway."
Tenharien followed her back into the front store room and looked around, wondering what she meant to show him. He chuckled again when she still held his hand when they entered. She finally let go and Ten looked over her shoulder to see if she was blushing.

"Ah, a curious chest?! That is always a pretty sight to see." The mystery of locked chests had always excited Tenharien. He had found a few in his life while adventuring here and there and of course he kept one or two in his home for his very priceless items. "Need help?" He asked while she disappeared into the chest, looking for something valuable no doubt. Tenharien ventured a few guesses at what it might be. "A Battle Axe? No, maybe just some special wood. No, maybe a hard steel," he thought to himself.

"Ah ha?" Tenharien said and took a step back to give her some space. "This belonged to your father?" He blinked and rubbed his fingers together. "A battle Axe with elven designs on the hilt." Ten rubbed his chin and was about to turn away but as the cat caught his eye, he saw Beril falling and leaned down immediately to help her up. "Whoops! Are you ok, Beril?" He asked as he snatched the axe away while she had fallen. "Let me help you up." Tenharien took her hand and picked her up slowly, hoping nothing on her was injured. He began dusting her off with one hand, looking around her body to see if she was ok.

New Soul
Apothecary Shop

Vandani sat, mostly watching the exchange between the apothecary and her customer. She never tired of watching trade in progress. Haggling, tradesfolk thinking they know what their products are worth, and finding out what those products are worth to other people. In this specific setting, the watching Findy share her knowledge of the herbs and plants she had for sale was an added bonus. Her green eyes twinkled over the rim of her tea cup as she sipped.

When she was offered the pinch of cinnamon, Vandani was already half way through her cup. "No cinnamon for me, either, today. I think this tea is lovely even without it." She then looked back at Bradic, with a look that lent to her curiosity. "I have deduced that you are new to Minas Tirith. Or at least have not been here for some time." It was a statement as much as a question. "What brings you to our White City? Will you be here for some time yet? I love all the new faces the city has had lately."

Almost as if she had give the cue, another man (Elphir) walked into the shop. He was hooded and cloaked. She could not see his face, and that always made her curious. However, she was noticing how busy things were getting. She did have other stops to make this morning. She would have to make an exit soon, so that Findy could tend to the customers without her interference. So, Vandani finished her tea and prepared to say her goodbyes.
Maldir - you are missed

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Addhor Raxëlilta, Wood Works (Carpentry)
with his son, and also with Sadar (NPC) from the Woodworkers Guild

Mind you do not strain yourself with all that ..Unalmis watched his father carrying a small basket of goods into the shop, fled from the responding look and then turned back to where Sadar was calling, shouting in fact, for him to return to unloading the cart. The Wood Master had clearly not realised what he would be called upon to do, but since he had insisted upon hovering (incessantly) and assuring that he was there to ‘help’, he could scarcely protest when called upon to do so. Unalmis meanwhile had proven the victim of two unshakeable qualities; he was family and he apparently had nothing else to do that day. Volunteering had played no part in it whatsoever, but still the young man knew that he would have baulked to hear of Addhor struggling to manage without aide. So Nal figured that he hardly could complain. Although he had in fact.

Finally the small space had been cluttered so that the three men were forced to prop a seat on various boxes and cabinets to rest, while they shared a long cool drink of water apiece. The cartsman, though a generous find, had refused to join them, too fearful to leave his horse and trap out unattended in the street. No sooner as his purse was weighed with the agreed fare, and he was away. So it was managed, the space claimed, and no going back now.

I do hope there is never a fire,Unalmis remarked, offhand, and earned a sharp glance from the two woodworkers, before holding up both hands in surrender. “Just making conversation !” he assured them. “Seriously though, have you thought about insurance ?

His father glanced about the haul of goods which were all that he had to show for himself. He really had laid all his eggs into one basket, it seemed, and yet this was the safety net. This was the fall back which he had fallen back unto. This was him, leaving something substantial for his son. But .. where was his son gone to now ?

Do not tell me that we have yet to somehow lug a bed frame all the way up here ?!Nal appeared at the top of the stairs. “It won’t go through the door for starters. This is far too small ..

There are tools enough to resolve that .. ” The Carpenter was that exhausted that he could have slept upon the floor without complaint. He’d slept in forests before of course, on pub floors, more than once a table top .. and after doing even his share of the lifting, the notion of building a bed now up in the rooms above the shop was enough to make his eyes heavy. But there was no time for sleep ! The bed could wait until he could afford it. The shop had taken everything else.

Thank you for the drink,Sadar was halfway toward the heavy, studded door, and Addhor threw his smile to the wooden floor. The Man clearly was taking heed of the cart-man’s example, and making a quick getaway. “Good of you to help your father out, Unalmis” he observed, suggesting that the youth would be abandoned to do just that, alone now, as the Wood master laid down his cup and picked up his coat. He didn’t even close the door behind him.

Well,” his client rose, and leant an eye about the clutter. There were bookcases brimming not with books but with wooden cutting boards, and sheer stacks of burl bowls, and of rounded cups. Some of the latter would now require washing out as well, from their refreshment. The stockpile of smoothed, wooden poles were propped up in one corner of the room, but with such a range of sizes that they would no doubt require pride of place where any customer should find them. Brooms, scythes, rakes; all these types of everyday equipment would require a fine wooden handle. Then there were the walking sticks, and the wooden buckets filled with rolling pins, and long curved spoons. Locating a place for these was simple enough. Unalmis had grown far too familiar with The small sample of not-so-small cabinets and dressers and chests of drawers, and storage chests, which he had never imagined to weigh quite as much as they did. That meant they were good quality, or so he’d been told. It did nothing to console his aching back.

Where do you want these ?” he asked, providing his father with just one example of many lightweight, carved wooden signs. Each bore it’s own message or design; from ‘Home sweet home’ to ‘No entry. Wild dog lives here’. This particular piece had been inspired by a quite eccentric neighbour, who kept no pets, and would not appreciate the humour. Many had been practice as the former ranger honed his new skill, and those pieces which had turned out well had ended up as evidence. Perhaps would even prove their worth, his worth. It would be nice to feel of proper worth again.

They’ll hang about the walls,Addhor decided, without yet making a move to fashion or secure any thereabout. “But there ought be one which .. ah,” He gathered a sign which mentioned services for hire, in fixing of shelves or broken interior fixtures, and so forth. That one would require a good position in the store. Simple handy jobs like those of mentioned he had already managed, for a few widows and others of the sort who had no man at home any more to manage themselves. But the shop was otherwise limited to furniture and household goods. Anything so grand as major lumber work, laying floorboards, or heaving large timber framing was not Addhor’s specialty He had been forced to admit this to a curious passerby, who had stopped to pry when they had first arrived. Nal had rolled his eyes then at his father giving recommendation (and work) to some other craftsman but, as it had turned out, the man who’d been recommended had come by not an hour later, with due thanks, a welcome to the neighbourhood, and a recommendation of his own. Of which smithy close by was the best purveyor of good but affordable nails.

There were still shelves to be secured to the walls, a serious amount of sweeping to clear up the floor, and the none too trifling matter of the shaving horse and the lathe to be set up, at the back of the room. The wide bench was heaved by the two men first into place as a dual purpose counter, so that customers would not wander back and disturb the workings, although they could watch from a place of safety, if they found nothing better to do with their time. The tools were stowed safely underneath the counter, accessible on the working side where only Addhor could choose his ‘weapons’ from the motley collection of gouges, and chisels, assorted mallets, iron-headed hammers, wedges .. so many pieces he had acquired or customised over the last few years of his craftswork. Not a single one of them matched another, and not a single one of them was without the telltale scars of hard labour. Which felt rather fitting and undoubtedly satisfying to their owner.

He was eyeing how best to secure his pole line to the ceiling, when Unalmis found the stack of home-made wooden chairs, and felt it was prudent to check each was ‘safe’ for any potential customer.

Iole said that you received some sort of summons from the army ?” his father recalled, since it seemed likely that the young man’s help would be no further help at all. “Do you know how soon they’ll want you to report ?

The negligent recruit shrugged, with the same carelessness which had allowed for him to drop the small slip of summons, the essential addition to his letter which in fact told him when and where he was expected. “No idea,Nal did not seem too concerned. “I was thinking that I would chance by the Headquarters tomorrow, and see if there’s any news. I don’t mind helping you out meanwhile,” he stretched out, on the latest trialled chair and clicked the bones of his wrist in a macabre performance which made his father sigh.

Well do not let them start without you !” he was warned, aptly so as it turned out, though neither man realised it as yet. The new rangers contingent had of course met that very morning at the Headquarters, and each attending participant been briefed with orders to move out within the hour ...
Last edited by Ercassie on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Dúnadan
Cartographer
Durien Arrandir
Ranadil (NPC)

Durien sensed someone entering the shop, but her absorption into fixing a distance onto the map in front of her kept her from responding immediately. The woman's voice broke through her concentration and she glanced up, laying the quill aside as she did so. Blinking emerald eyes meet inquiring blue eyes as the elf shook off the last tendrils of unbreakable focus. A sudden spasm running the length of her spine nearly made her grimace. Had she really been sitting so still for so long in such an awkward position? Her boots hit the floor as she moved toward Veowyn and the map she waved in her hand as the Gondorian spoke. Durien smiled in response. ”I love seeing a well worn map. It means it has been of great practical use and value.” She studied it for a moment, recognizing her own handiwork. Besides, this map is in need of a bit of updating. Ever since Rohan rode to Gondor's aid, there has been an almost daily increase in the number of roads running between our two realms. Not to mention that the improvements King Aragorn wanted made to the roads leading to Arnor created a bunch of small villages along the most common routes.” She paused a moment in thought. “Plus, since the majority of the elves have abandoned Mirkwood and sailed into the undying lands, many of these paths...” she extended a slender finger and tapped an area on the map “...are no longer maintained. And no one wants to get stuck in Mirkwood's undergrowth.”Durien added hastily under her breath. A more than few bands of orcs who had escaped the destruction of Mordor had taken refuge there as well, she suspected.

Moving swiftly towards the very back of the shop, where the shelves resembled a vintage wine rack extending from floor to ceiling, Durien carefully but quickly considered the best maps for Veowyn's needs. Deftly, she selected three and returned to her customer. “I think one of these three will best suit your needs. With the rate of growth along the major southern roads as Lord Aragorn reestablishes the route to Arnor, I cannot promise every new detail is denoted on any of these, but they are precise and comprehensive.” She set all three scrolls down onto the table. She spread out the first one. ”This is the newest version of the one you carry now, and the cheapest of the three I will show. The cost is five coppers.” The other two scrolls were both bound in leather, and she spread the first of these out. The map was in black ink on parchment, with a slightly waxy coating to protect the paper. ”This is the one I would recommend.” Durien stated with a twinkle in her emerald eyes. ”The leather can be folded or rolled...” She paused to demonstrate both. ”...and the leather protects the map's longevity. This one is more expensive, and costs two silver pieces.” She brought out the third map. “Lastly, this one is the more expensive of the three I think would best meet your needs, as it costs one gold coin.” From the outside, it appeared much like the second, but when she unfurled it, it was far more colorful. Rohirric villages were labeled in green, rivers and streams in blue, mountains in a dark silver, and forest paths in brown, just to name a few. It was elegant and detailed, a work of art still meant for everyday use. She smiled at the Gondorian. ”Would one of these suit your needs?”

New Soul
Cartographer
Veowyn Silverleaf

The elleth was happy to listen to the Cartographer ramble on about new roads and improvements to more current maps. The signs of some one who loved their work. She had made the right decision bringing her old one here. Durien mumbled about the dangers of Mirkwood, and Veowyn's looked down at the map. "I am familiar with the dangers and paths of Mirkwood" She spoke in a hushed tone, as she tucked her brown curls behind her pointed ear. She then looked back to Durien with a chuckle. "I am more interested in the maps, so that those I travel with know that I am not just making things up on the spot."

Then she was shown three well crafted maps. At mention of the first being just the updated version of her own, she was going to just get that one. It would be the easiest for her purposes. However, the next map was unrolled and it made her reconsider. It looked like it would be much easier to maintain. She started to pull her poin pouch from her satchel, hoping she still had silver coins left. She knew there were coppers and gold. This cartographer was quite the saleswoman, saving the best for last. Veowyn's eyes lit up at the artistry of the map in front of her. She pulled a gold coin from the pouch before speaking again.

"This map deserves to be framed! This is sure to keep any of my travel companions from arguing with my knowledge of the path. She then offered the gold coin to Durien, barely able to pull her eyes from it. "Please, may i purchase this one?" She motioned to the 3rd map.
Maldir - you are missed

Forester of Lothlorien

Beril

One moment she was standing upright and the next she was flat on her back. Bax, the feline, mewed softly as he climbed on his owner's chest, padding his paws on her chest in an innocent manner. He wasn’t innocent, not at all. Beril’s eyes narrowed in pure disdain for the feline companion and she hissed softly. “You better go back to your place before i take this axe and practice filing down your canines with it!” She gripped the handle of the axe, ready to prove a point to the annoyance in her life when strong hands removed the axe from her hand and lifted her up.

The fury that was in the green depths clouded for a brief moment with confusion. Her gaze fixated on the purring feline that was currently rubbing the length of his body against her calves and she shuddered. Not in disgust or horror, just a simmering rage. The dwarven part of her wanted to grab the cat and fling it across the room but instead she just took a deep breath and tried to re centre herself. Be at peace. Be calm. Just breathe. It is just a cat, just a cat..an annoying, frustrating throw rug.

As his hand dusted off her clothes, she joined in, not that it was that dusty in here to begin with..wait..
”Will you stop that, I am not a rug?” She playfully batted at his hand, scolding softly before she reached out to grab the axe that he had removed from her. “Nevva take in wild animals, they tend to cause trouble” She growled, staring at the feline as if to prove a point before she sniffed, dismissing him. Don’t get her wrong, Beril had a great love for her animal companions. Sometimes though, the temper of her Da, crept up and overtook whatever human part of her she had.

Garreth's Battle Axe

“Anyway...This was my Da’s. It has seen far more battles than I can remember.” She held out the axe to him so that he may get a closer look. “ As I mentioned before the handle is thick oak and the lettering is elvish.” Her fingers ran across the silver engraving as if she was admiring the intricate details that went into the lettering. “The words meant ‘Heart of stone’ or something like that. I dunna remember the full details and my Da was often drunk when he was telling it.” She tilted the axe upwards, showing him the grooves in the double bladed axe. “If you look closely, you can see the marks of the hammer that was used. It was a heavy hammer though but it was made years before i or my da was born..”

Her green eyes lit up as she continued, passion for her craft was clear in the animated facial expressions and the way she touched the weapon.“It is an iron double bladed battle axe but I can make it out of any ore that you desire. If you prefer another handle, I can do that also. Personally I think a double blade would suit you verra nice” Her eyes studied him for a moment, noticing the darkness of his hair and skin tone. How weirdly tall he was. He was an unusual elf, that was sure but not unpleasant, not indeed. “ Yes, verra nice indeed” Beril coughed, as if to hide the comment which slipped out and she moved over to the counter, lifting three handle designs and sizes for him to view. “Most popular handles are iron or oak. Bronze would be suitable as well. I suggest hollowing the middle of it only because the weight is unnecessary. You can use a leather wrap or hide for the grip as well. I can throw those in with no charge of course.”

Beril rested her full hips against the counter, crossing her arms across her chest as she watched him appraise the items she had laid out. It was up to him of course, what he decided the axe was for and though not many elves run around with battle axes, it did strangely suit him. “Depending on your decision with what metal you're after the blade to be, the details, the handle, be it two bladed or one. Be the handle long or short. Then we can decide on a suitable price. If it is decorative, it will take a week. If it is to be used for fighting, protection, war, then three weeks. I take my time making sure it is done correctly, I do not like to rush nor do i like half assing an item. Does that sound fair for you?”

Master Torturer
Grocers
Líriel - Owner

Everyone in Minas Tirith knew Líriel, as not only was she the only grocers, she was also the loudest one. The small shop that was tucked in between two others, looked like it had exploded and all the wares had fallen out of the door in an avalanche, though in most cases that was due to careful arranging to make it look like there was more than there was. Two tables lined the entrance to the store, both laden with so many goods it was a miracle that they did not fall or or cause the table to break. On one table was fresh fruit, the other held vegetables, both sporting crates underneath as well. These would be out no matter the weather as Líriel always loudly claimed that rain never did them any harm. Dried herbs aplenty hung from the windows and huge sacks of grain and hay stood sentry by the door opening. Inside there was only really room for a couple of people at a time, though not because it was packed with goods, more because of the layout of the shop. The idea was to pack the shop with goods from everywhere. At a price of course. However since the war a few years back, things were a bit more scarce and people had less money to buy anything with, often wanting to trade for items rather than pay. Which was why he husband was not in the shop with her, despite his wife being heavily pregnant with their sixth child, working endless days in the field to grow as many vegetables as they could along with two of her other sons.

"GET THEM WHILE THEY ARE FRESH! TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE!" Líriel yelled at no one in particular, re-organising the apples in the crates beneath the table once more to make sure they looked sellable, trying to hide the dents. Cussing beneath her breath, Líriel carefully and slowly straightened up, revealing her huge belly. She had to use the table to push up the last bit, cussing once more "dangit, this one is gonna be huge!" Placing her hands on her lower back, she bent backwards as far as her big belly allowed, before eyeing one of her kids trying to sneak a plum from one of the crates. "Oi you! Get! Unless you have coins to pay for it, then leave it be! Get back to sweeping!" She gave Lúcon a glare to let him know she was serious, though he merely giggled and scampered off, hiding the other plum he had manged to get before he was caught.

"FRESH FRUIT! TWO FOR ONE!" she yelled for the umpteenth time, leaning in to give her youngest a carrot to gnaw on, as he was teething. Sat in a crate, the young child happily shoved it in his mouth, ignoring the drool that flowed down his chin as he worked his gums over the cold carrot.
"GELLIR!" she yelled, waiting impatiently for her eldest son to peak out of the store. "Get your Ma a lemonade, will ya?" she asked as she saw his thick golden curly hair peak from around the door. Only twelve years old and he was already in charge of keeping the books, preferring the numbers to spending his time helping with the farming. Quiet and meek, unlike his other four, almost five, siblings Gellir gave a quiet nod and hurried to go get his mother the drink as she took a seat on a chair by one of the tables and began her yelling again. "GET THEM BEFORE THEY ARE GONE! EXOTIC FRUIT FROM UMBAR!"
Last edited by Winddancer on Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond
Tenharien

"Hahaha, son of an Orc whore indeed," Tenharien laughed loudly and helped her up, trying not to laugh at her too much. "Bax certainly has a way about him, I must say. I don't usually like cats too much, but this one has character." As Beril looked down at the mischievous cat, Ten watched her, wondering if she might shoo it away in some fashion.

"Oh, sorry sorry. Just a habit I guess," Tenharien said as he removed his hands from her and shrugged. "You are right. I can't imagine getting a little dirty at work would get you bent out of shape. Then again, it's not very dirty in here." He looked around on the ground and watched his step as he moved away, hoping the cat wouldn't try to trip him as well.
"Oh is that a wild cat? That explains a little. I admit, i've thought about taking in a few pets here and there. Mostly dogs of wolves. I used to be friends with a wolf, long ago. He since passed as animals do. Maybe I'll look out for a cat of Bax's making...then again maybe not haha."

Tenharien took a closer look at the axe, since he hadn't gotten the chance as he helped her up off the floor. "Your father's axe seems quite amazing. I liked the weight of it. It's got beautiful style. I like the wide blades, even on either side. Hmm, heart of stone, that is fine I suppose." Tenharien began thinking of his battles and the weapons he currently had. Something was off though, and it made him unsure as well.

"Ah, so I can. I likely would have taken ages to find that myself, honestly. Hmm, yes." Tenharien put his hand up to his chin, looking it over more as Beril spoke.Her passion for the craft was impressed. She clearly knew it all. Ten had come to the right place. "Yes, the handle. I mean no offense, but I think I'll choose another. If I am to use this axe for long periods of time, I will need something that fits my hands. Hmm? What's that?" Ten asked as she referred to the axe suiting him nicely. "Thank you, Beril. You do have a good eye, so I trust your opinion on this. If that Iron lasted so long for your father, it shall be just fine for me as well. And you need not rush at all, my dear. This axe will absolutely be going to war. And perhaps before that... you might give me a lesson or two." Tenharien smiled menacingly into her eyes and passed by with a wink while he began to look at the other handles for his axe. He put on the charm a little, if not to be friendly, then at least to ease her mind when talking about price. He would need some instruction after all. He hadn't used in axe in decades. Who better than the Axe marker herself.

Dúnadan
Cartographer
Durien Arrandir
Ranadil NPC

Durien smiled as her customer's blue eyes lit up upon observing the final map. She hadn't actually been trying up-sell the elleth by bringing out the third map, just offering a selection in three different price ranges she thought would suit. She liked matching maps to needs, but her heart was in the making and drawing of them. Accepting the gold coin, she beckoned to Ranadil who was watching her suspiciously. The lad knew she was more likely to toss the gold coin onto a table somewhere and forget about it than actually process the transaction correctly. She winced, his expression reminding her to practice basic business courtesy. “Would you like that wrapped in brown paper?” She asked Veowyn. She knew it wasn't a gift, but it was a nice way to package an item if one preferred it so.

Ranadil sighed, stood, and walked over to her, his expression half amused and his palm out . Truth be told, she didn't often handle either the customer or the business side of the shop. She handed him the gold coin and smiled apologetically at Veowyn. ”My assistant thinks I'm a great cartographer, but worthless when it comes to the keeping the books. He's not wrong, unfortunately.” She was only half in jest, but her smile took any bite out of her words. Mildly annoying Ranadil was one of the highlights of her day, but truly upsetting the easy going lad was something to be avoided at all costs. Although why the sale had to be recorded when it was just one gold coin, she had no idea. Some of the larger and more ornate maps and atlas cost thousands of gold coins, the sale of which would be important to notate. Of course, this is why she usually let the Gondorian run the shop and stuck to creating the maps.

Ranadil rolled his eyes. "Hopeless, she's hopeless." He muttered half under his breath as he slinked away to record the sale and tuck the coin away. Really, for owning a business, Durien ought to be more competent. He knew she wasn't intentionally shrinking from paying the King his share come tax time...no, his boss just hated paperwork. Perhaps they should hire a bookkeeper. Were they really busy enough to afford one though? He speculated thoughtfully. Perhaps they should create some sort of receipt system too. She would balk at that, probably since she could recognize her own handiwork on sight instantly. She could look a map she'd initially drawn and tell him when it had been drawn, whether his father, grandfather, or so on had embellished it, and give the exact month and year it had been finished. He had never figured out how she did it.

Loremaster of Gondor

Miller Shop: Minas Tirith Marketplace #1
Farnir NPC

Farnir grunted as he approached the back side of his shop. He'd had to do some massive renovations lately after the fire a few months prior. He was just lucky that the grain dust didn't explode, 'cause that really would have been exciting. But not in a good way. He'd been closed for some time now, but he'd had enough stock sold to his clients and customers to be able to hold them over until he could get his shop opened again.

He was pleased to be able to have more than one quern up an running in his new layout. But that would mean having to have a couple of assistants, and that was what got him into trouble the last time. The dang assistant was too reckless and careless and ... Farner took a deep breath and signed. It was no good getting worked up over it again. He needed to get the stock he had put in the window display and on the shelves.

Pulling out his key, he unlocked the storage room and the back door of his shop. His donkeys were asleep in their pens, but he had a feeling is going back and forth would wake them. "Guess I should get started." he mumbled to himself. And with that, he began. It took several trips, but he managed to almost empty his storage room of his meal and flour stock and loaded them upon the shelves. The end of the shelves closest to the door contained the flour, the back end contained the meal. The coarser the grind, the lower on the shelf it was placed.

He then made his way back to the counter to double check on the prices. Nodding, he Placed the sign next to the counter.

Wheat / Rice
1 Bushel
: 120s

Nut
1 Bushel
: 96s

Barley
1 Bushel
: 100s

Rye
1 Bushel
: 112s

Oats
1 Bushel
: 64s

Any Meal
10 lbs
: 202c
5 lbs: 98c

Any Flour
5 lbs
: 103c
1 lb: 22c

Farnir then made his way out back to get his donkeys ready to start grinding the next batch of flours. Once he had them going, in the window, he flipped his open/closed sign to OPEN, and unlocked and opened the front door. He swept the area in front of the entrance. He was sure someone was going to be coming by to verify everything looked good to officially re open.

OOC: For reference:
Meal vs flour consistency:
The top is different Rye flours (left to right): white , light, medium, wholegrain, dark
The bottom is Rye Meal (left to right): rye kernels, coarse, medium, fine
For the flour, a course grind would probably be a bit finer than fine meal. Fine would be like what get in the grocery store. Extra fine, I'm thinking something like powdered sugar.

Currency:
10 copper = 1 silver
10 silver = 1 electrum (Electrum is a naturally occuring alloy of gold and silver with trace amounts of copper and other metals.)
10 electrum = 1 gold
1000c (copper) = 100s (silver) = 10e (electrum) = 1g (gold)
Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy- Stonewall Jackson
Hubris guarantees disaster.- T C

Esquire of The Mark
NPC post Bradic

Finduilas might be still busy with the tea, but the moment that door open, Bradic's gaze flicked towards it. He didn't rise from the seat but if we can look underneath the table, one foot would have the tip of the foot pressed to the ground, the other would be flat and forward, allowing him to rise within an instant. He did not however rise. Instead.. his head turned and he offered a friendly smile to the newcomer (Elphir).

The man who had just entered would find calm grey eyes on his face, mostly hidden by the hood. The wind had flicked the cloak back enough for the doublet to be seen. In one glance he was sized up. Bradic might not be able to guess the identity of the person newly entered, but he could see wealth. Fabrics that took an hour's weaving for a few inches only would not be available for a common laborer. Either you were a well to do merchant. Or even more.

I would bid you welcome, Sir, but I am afraid it's not my place to do so! *He called out in a friendly voice before you could back out. It was never a great idea to let a good opportunity go to waste. And a man with money was always interesting. Money meant influence. And both were of an interest to him.*
It seems several of us have thought to visit the Apothecary this day. I am hoping it's not a sign of sickness dwelling in the city.. My name is Bradic. And you? I hope my presence doesn't disturb you. If you have more need of privacy to speak about a cure needed, I will be gladly on my way.

Scholar of Gondor

Findy turned as the friendly bell made another shopper's presence known. She set down the tea pot and smiled, as she normally did as a potential customer arrived. There could be a good or bad reason that a person would enter her shop - just a friendly shopper or someone sore in need of medical assistance. “If you will excuse me,” she said to Vandani and Bradic. “Greetings,” she said to Elphir, instantly recognizable as a Ranger, “and welcome to the Apothecary shop, good sir. As you can see, we are just opening and are in short supply. However, we have plenty of herbs for tea at the nonce.” She gave him a nod to the table, where two other customers were seated with cups of tea before them. The man had an empty sleeve, obviously one to whom battle was no stranger, though his clothing appeared to be of good quality.

There appeared to be some interest for Bradic at the arrival of this noteworthy patron. Perhaps he was just a bit tense in a general manner. She had observed much of that in the past, she had often dealt with those who exited the battlefield in body, but never in spirit. In order to keep the peace and privacy for the newcomer, she stepped up to Elphir. In a lowered voice she asked, “Is there anything in particular that I can assist you with? We have a modest stock of medicinal herbs as well as some pre-mixed tisanes and salves in the storage room, or even a spare bit of home-dried pipe weed for various ailments. On the other hand, if you require a refreshing cup of tea, we have that as well.”

@Galastel @Eldrith @Veowyn
Last edited by Finduilas Faelivrin on Thu May 28, 2020 1:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Child of Gondor
Elphir

What was the point of hiding your face, if you were asked for your name the moment you stepped out of your house? Elphir all but grated his teeth in frustration. Not at Bradic for asking, but at the situation. He didn't want to be seen visiting the apothecary. He didn't want Laurenel to find out, he didn't want anyone to find out. But Bradic had been nothing if not polite. And had the situation been reversed, Elphir too would have been curious about a stranger hiding his face.

"I thank you for your kind welcome, Bradic" he answered. "Let me assure you, you needn't worry about sickness, at least not on my part. I came merely to seek something that can ease nightmares - my son doesn't sleep well of late." A half-truth. Nazgul shrieking, wounded men crying in pain, the smell of blood - it weren't little Nari's dreams that were haunted. Some nights, in his dreams, he still had his arm, but it would refuse to obey him just as he needed to block an incoming blow. Other times, just as it had happened in truth, someone would cry the eagles are coming, and he'd look up in hope, and at that very moment an orc's heavy axe would come crashing down.

Findy saved him from needing to find how to divert the conversation away from himself. "Greetings, mistress," he answered with a bow of his head. "Do you have anything that might help my son sleep without bad dreams disturbing him?" He didn't use to lie. It was disgusting what he was letting himself become. One weakness begets another: first too weak to deal with what, like any warrior, he always knew could happen; then, covering his weakness with lies. And what next? But to stand there and admit the truth - no, he couldn't face the shame of it. He'll deal. He wasn't a child to be so affected by dreams.

Scholar of Gondor

“Nightmares, eh?” Findy looked unswervingly into the gentleman's eyes. “Why yes, there are several remedies to help with that.” She reached up above her and unhooked a bunch of dried Lavender. “These help with sleep in general. The smell is pleasant and it is safe for children and adults.” She went behind the counter and into the small drawers there. “Here is one,” she said as she pulled open a small drawer. “I am afraid that this has the odor of stinky feet, although it is very good for promoting relaxation. I have had good fortune with this one in spite of the awful scent.” She opened another of the small drawers, “This is what I would recommend for a child. It is called Limeflower, and it has been known to help with nightmares and bad dreams in children,” and she quickly added with the thought that Elphir might have been asking for a remedy for himself, “and it has a calming effect for adults as well.” Wishing to keep hold of his attention she added, “I have no idea why, but a bowl of porridge oats before bedtime has been known to make one sleepy and relaxed.” Her natural smile came easily as she turned. “I will leave you to decide if you would like any or all of these. I can also mix up a packet with various ingredients if you would prefer to add hot water at home just before your child’s bedtime.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Herbs to help with sleep/nightmares:
Oats: are a natural source of tryptophan. Tryptophan helps regulate our body’s natural rhythms and is synthesized from Tryptophan. It is melatonin that influences you to feel sleepy; its release can be inhibited even by the presence of artificial lights.
Valarian: Directly promotes relaxation of the nervous system. It encourages healthy sleeping patterns, ensuring you wake feeling refreshed and ready for the day ahead. Smells like feet.
Limeflower: A traditional remedy for nightmares and bad dreams. Its calming effect on the nervous system also make it effective in treating a nervous digestion. The perfect, gentle remedy for children.
Lavender: An herb for settling frazzled nerves. The aromatic essential oils in this plant can help reduce difficulty falling asleep and prevent night-time wakening.

@Galastel

New Soul
Apothecary Shop to the Miller

The art of the apothecary. The women wished she had her ink and parchment handy. She would certainly add this moment of fountaining knowledge from the Apothecary to her records from the Marketplace. Maybe it would be in her more personal day to day accounts, versus the more official records, but she definitely wanted this small moment recorded. With Findy busy, Vandani bowed her head to Bradic in goodbye. "It was a pleasure to meet you, but I have other duties I must attend. I leave you in Finduilas' fine care." Then, with a swoosh of her orange skirts she slipped out the door behind Elphir, with a small wave back at the Apothecary.

She waved the grocer as she walked past. Líriel and her kiddos where keeping busy it looked like. She did not know how that woman did it, really. Dani remembered how she was practically useless while she was pregnant. She remembered how her husband had been so worried she was over doing it, if only he could see this grocer, maybe he wouldn't have been so overprotective.. She sighed at the memory, sweeping a loose strand of her red hair back from her face. She missed him, but her and the boys were managing. "Líriel, my boys came by with the leftover milk, after their deliveries, right? If not, I am sure they will be by soon." Her sons were only 17 and 14, but together they were doing their father proud, running Minrimmon Dairy.

Ah, she then saw her next destination. The miller was due to reopen, and she wanted to make sure all was going well. "Mr. Farnir!" She called out to the man sweeping the front step. "All is well with the re-opening, I hope? May I come take a look around?"

Cartographer to Nell's Bread and Pastries
Veowyn Silverleaf

The elleth smiled at the merry teasing between the Cartographer and her assistant. "I think the leather is enough, thank you." She really did not need the fancy paper, since it was not a gift. It was going straight into her satchel, though she was excited to show it to her companions, later. "Thank you both so very much. This work or art will find much use. And I will definitely return should I ever need another. Maybe I could even update you on those paths in Mirkwood." She winked a blue eye at Durien. Once she placed her map safely in her bag, she bid them farewell. "I hope you both have a wonderful day."

Once back outside, she took the jar of cinnamon back out, and made her way to Nelladel's bakery. She tried to be as quiet as possible when she entered lest she interrupt anything. She managed to witness the cutest of moments between the baker, and a little ball of fluff. Veowyn leaned on the counter, setting down the jar, and speaking up. "If your pastries are as sweet as what I just witnessed, it is a small wonder you are not sold out within 2 minutes." She winked, and grinned at her old friend. "Mae govannen, mellon nin!
Maldir - you are missed

Forester of Lothlorien

Beril

Beril remained against the counter, sea tinted eyes focusing on the Elf who was appraising the handles she had laid out. Though she works with ore, for a few silver, she can go to the local carpenter and acquire a handle that would suit the axe. Solid oak is popular but so is brass.
Bax was found as a young kitten outside the forges. He was a stray and my dumbass thought he would be a welcome distraction to my current existence. I am not sure what breed he is but he is growing rapidly and close to Vanes height..well almost” She gestured to the window outside where you could see the wolfhound who was casually lounging outside. Vane was a stray also..she has a habit of taking in strays, so it seems.

“Heart of stone was a reference to my father's nickname, stonebreath.” She lifted her hand outwards, in a shush gesture. “Do not ask why his nickname was stonebreath, i have no idea. His breath was neither heavy nor stone like. More like lingering and smelling like strong mead.” The corner of her eyes crinkled again in her amusement and she shifted slightly on her feet, nodding her head as he talked about the weight and blades. “I agree, the double bladed axe is verra fine. A battle axe is slightly more suited to war though, bigger and heavier then the standard double bladed axe.”

When Tenharien mentioned about using a handle that suited his hands, she pointed to the variety that she had placed on the counter. “By all means, pick them up and try the grip. It is the surest way of finding out what suits you best. I have brass, bronze, oak, iron, steel and metal based handles. They are a mixed ore base and much lighter to handle.” She pointed to one of the handles. “This knot at the top, acts as a counterweight and balances the weapon. The blades make it top heavy so if you were to get a double blade for fighting purposes, I suggest this style.”

Her gaze shifted from the handles to him once more and she tilted her head, curiously. “What kind of weapons do you use normally? If you are unsure of axes then I will be willing to show you a few fighting techniques. How to hold it, balance the weight, strike. I do not recommend trying it out in the field in case it goes wrong, so training would be needed.” She picked up the battle axe she had previously shown him, shifting the grip from one hand to another. “I have a wooden dummy out the back for weapon practices, so while I am making your weapon, you are more than welcome to come and practice”

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond

"Ehem, uhh hmm yes right," Tenharien said quickly, hearing what she had said about the cat's current height, but ignoring it for the time being. He gave it a sideways glance and then looked back to the handle of the axe, knowing he would need to feel it in his hands before he made his decision. "Stonebreath? Ah,I see then. I find that nicknames rarely make sense in any language. But it rare and funny when sometimes they do. "

"Yes," Tenahrien said very seriously when Beril brought up war. "To battle, to war is exactly where this axe will go. I won't retire my sword at all I don't think, but I feel it will take me some years to grow as truly proficient as I am with my sword and as I need to be. Or, maybe I'll be a natural. Who knows. Either way, hard work will go into it." He walked over to the counter when Beril suggested that he try them all out. Tenharien's eyes moved to the first one that caught his fancy. Not only was it elegant in style, but he had a feeling it would fit his hands.

Beril pointed to the one he had already chosen and it made him smile. "This is the one," Tenharien said sliding his fingers across the smooth wood gently. He picked it up in one hand and then held it with two in different spots. "This is the one," he said again to reassure her. "Normally, I use a elven blades. I have a curved long sword, which is mostly for cutting. Slicing muscles, tendons, weak joints. Sometimes for chopping depending on the enemy. But against bigger orc and large monster of the like, I feel a deeper cut is needed. Speed is life, thats what my father used to say. But strength and size can go a long way."

Tenharien set down the handle and tapped it a few times. This is the one, Beril my dear. And I thank you in advance, for any lesson you might see fit to bless me with. I will come every day if necessary. That is generous! This is exciting. Oh wait...how much is it?"

Child of Gondor
Nells Breads and Pastries
Master Baker Nelladel Alarion

Nell was caught up with watching the kitten and didn't hear Veo enter the bakery so when she spoke she glanced over to her and smiled although slightly embarrassed to be caught talking to a cat, her cheeks blushed slightly. He stood and busily wiped her face, making it look like she'd had some flour on it but it was just done to distract from the blush.

"Well met Veo!" she approached and swept her into a hug. "It's so lovely to see you!" She gently held her at arms length."You're looking fabulous as ever." she grinned and her green eyes sparkled. Those same green eyes noted the jar on the counter and her jaw dropped in surprise and excitement. "Is that what I think it is?!" she asked, her voice raising slightly with her raising excitement. "If that's your cinnamon I'll love you forever!..well..I do anyways but still!" She nearly squeed as she gave Veo a childlike grin and let her go to nearly pouce on the jar.

She cracked it open slightly and inhaled, her eyes closed and she grinned from ear to ear. Exhaling slowly she said. "Oh how I've missed this." She took another deep breath and looked at her. "When my customers find out I have this..that's when I'll be sold out within 2 minutes." She laughed. "Would you like some tea? Tell me you have the time, we have so much catching up to do and I'd love to have some of this in my tea." She motioned to the jar as she put the lid back in place.

Loremaster of Gondor
Miller Shop: Minas Tirith Marketplace #2
Farnir NPC

Farnir was finishing up his sweeping when he heard someone call out for him. Looking up, he saw Vandani, the Master of Trade approaching. "All is well with the re-opening, I hope? May I come take a look around?" She asked as she came nearer.

He set the broom inside the door. "Yes. Welcome. Welcome. I'm glad the construction didn't take as long as the original estimate. The shop looks great." He said as he let her inside. "I just finished stocking the shelves a few minutes ago as I knew you were coming by. Got the donkeys in the back grinding away for the next batch of flour." He motioned towards the shelves and the back door.

"Here you can see the selection of flours and meal. I have the different flours and meal separated on each of these shelves. And on that shelf there, I have oats, and different nut flours than these two shelves." he said showing her though the shelves. "In the barrels, I have the whole grains, nuts, rice, and oats." By now, he felt he was rambling. It had been a long time since he'd been inspected, so he couldn't remember what all she was going to want to see.

"Sorry." he said. "It's just been a long time since had to be inspected. Though, I'm grateful for it. Want to make sure it's all good to go and can supply the people again."
Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy- Stonewall Jackson
Hubris guarantees disaster.- T C

Forester of Lothlorien
Beril

"Mmm the blade is curved on the ends, it can be used to hook or imbed in bone before you slice along the blade.” Beril ran her finger lightly across the curved ends of the double blade and nodded her head at his words. “Swords or elven blades are good for slicing, no doubt but i do agree that axes are more suitable for deeper cuts and more damage.” She placed her father's axe on the counter and watched as he picked up an oak handle that was coated with bronze. It gave the handle a solid base and a subtle golden gleam.

“I am glad you like it. The bronze coating makes the handle more solid and also adds a nice golden gleam to it. Think of the brass like a stocking or a sleeve but both materials are combined together.” When Tenharien placed the handle down and finished his tapping, she walked back behind the counter and placed the handles once again behind it for safekeeping.

“The double blade battle axe is 20g and that includes the base handle and base ore used which is iron, unless you are after a blended ore mix, metal or steel. If you want the bronze added to the handle, which is the one you liked earlier, it is 10sp. If you want any carvings, lettering, intricate details added to it, copper coins will be added to the price.” She leaned against the counter, her arms folded in front of her as she waited for him to consider her price.

Negotiation was welcome of course but it doesn’t mean she would budge on it. The price of ore, the hours and the work she will be putting into this weapon was well worth the amount she was offering. She hoped the elf would realize that it was a good deal and if he didn’t? Well there was another blacksmith somewhere he can wander off too. Of course the chances of that blacksmith having the same weapon range and skillset as hers, was highly unlikely.

“You may take a moment to think about it if you wish, I need to check on the forge” Beril arose from her leaning and adjusted the red leather apron around her hips, making sure it was secure before she walked out the back to check on the ore she was melting. When he was ready with his decision, he can find her there.

Esquire of The Mark
NPC post Bradic

*He followed the exchange between Elphir and Findy half hearted. He'd seen the man, classified him on a scale of wealth, assessed him on a threat level and then allowed him to be. He was too used to expecting a knife in his back at all times but this did not seem to be a moment he needed to be concerned. He drank his tea calmly, enjoying the aroma and looking around the store while her back was turned, reading labels where he could, but there didn't seem an inclination to move from the chair or swipe anything. Mainly he was curious. Assessing, as if wondering if the place would carry everything he needed. The chamomile was good, it would ease tensions in his stomach at the very least, but he was hoping also for something a bit stronger, if that was available. But the question was, would it be better to ask or to wait a bit longer.*

I am grateful for the chamomile and strawberries. I am considering a small herb garden as well, though nothing that would rival what you have here. You must take supplies from all over. Is there anywhere I can buy some seedlings perhaps? Mint. Rosemary? Kitchen herbs.

*And hemlock, oleander or belladona. But those you didn't bring up in casual conversation, unless you were discussing your eyes for the latter. Nearly all of them could be used medicinally in very small doses, but distilled and concentrated, there were such.. possibilities, and Bradic was a master of all them.*

Child of Gondor
Elphir

The notion of a medicinal root smelling like foot didn't faze Elphir. He expected it would taste terrible too. No matter. So long as it provided results. He put less trust in the other two herbs - the lavender and the limeflower. They sounded like something very mild, right there with the hot milk he used to offer Gali and Nari when they were younger, if they struggled to fall asleep. Of lavender in particular he was suspicious - Laurenel used the dry flowers as a moth repellent in all their clothes chests. If its smell was supposed to help him sleep, it wasn't having much effect.
Still, perhaps he should not discount a medicine just because it smelled sweet. By all accounts, Finduilas was highly skilled in her field.
"A packet of different ingredients would be the most convenient, I believe," he said at length, "but would you tell me some more of the root that smells of unwashed feet? How would one use it? And what is its name?"
This couldn't go on. He had been a ranger long enough to know how prolonged sleep shortage affected a man. It made reaction time longer and temper shorter. In the field it was a necessity, and the rush of combat alleviated some of the slowness. At home - Gali and Nari deserved better from him. Laurenel deserved better from her husband, she who had waited and worried for years, and cared for him when he came home broken.

Bradic in the meantime was asking about seedlings of kitchen herbs. Elphir wondered idly: was the man newly come to the city then, moving into a house that didn't have the amenities he was used to? Or merely looking into a new hobby?

(@Eldrith The way to clandestinely buy oleander is to ask for "those pretty pink flowers growing along the streets", and then let the apothecary tell you to be careful with them. :smiley15: )

@Finduilas Faelivrin

Child of Gondor
Myrtle's - Tailor

When you are an apprentice at another's shop, the dream is to own a place of your own, to be your own master. When you come to opening your own place, you realise that's not the end of the journey. This is just the beginning.
Myrtle had managed to rent a small place at the Minas Tirith marketplace, and furnish it to her needs. A large façade looking onto the street was expensive. Her shop was thus long and narrow. A large table for cutting cloth to one side, a chair right by the window, where the light was best, for her to sew and watch the street, a fitting area at the back, separated by a curtain, some shelves and a chest where the essentials of her trade were stored. Two additional chairs provided a waiting area, and the windowsill served also as a counter while the shop was open. On the second floor she and Alan lived. The place's one great advantage was its location - right next to the mercer's. Having bought the fabric, one could come straight to her to have it made into a doublet or a dress. And the kind of fabrics that were sold in the capital - some of them were very fine, cloth she was eager to work with.

If you want to attract customers, you must be seen to have work. A tailor who sits twiddling her thumbs, looking hungrily at passersby, raises suspicion - surely if she were any good, she'd have no cause to be idle? Having only just opened for the first time, Myrtle did not yet have customers. So she sat by the window, making a kirtle for herself. The lightweight wool was died an inexpensive yellow colour, from a second bath of madder. The pattern was a very simple one: two rectangles for front and back pieces, four triangles - the gores for the skirt, and the sleeves. Two ells of fabric were enough for that. She had cut the pieces out the night before, and was now putting them together with a basting stitch.

Alan sat on a stool by his mother's side, darning one of his stockings. Myrtle smiled looking at him - he was so intent on his task. Long dark curls framed his face, falling over his eyes as he bent over the needle. His father used to sit just like that, by the fire in her mother's cottage; his brow furrowed with the same concentration, his black curls scattered about his shoulders in just the same way. "A ranger should be able to mend his own socks," he said. And she would tease him a little, and take the mending from him, and ask him to tell a story of long ago. She told Alan those same stories now. Alan would never have to become a warrior like his father. King Elessar had brought peace.
Last edited by Galastel on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Archer of Lothlorien
Bloodbath & Beyond

Tenharien listened carefully, and imagined himself in a battle for the first time with his new weapon. He would surely move differently than he ever had before. He looked forward to learning a new style and wondered why he had been so stubborn to begin training with axes for so long. He already loved Bows, Sword and Spears.

"Hmm, the price is fair that no problem. I do believe I will take the handle with the bronze, yes. I don't need any carvings. Although, elvish carvings would love elegant on this weapon, I think I will leave it for now. Perhaps later on we can add something if possible or maybe on my next weapon." He looked Beril up and down once as his eyes moved from the blade to her and then back again. He was completely satisfied and brought out his wallet pouch so he could find her money.

"I've no need to think about it. I will buy my axe from you. I will buy all my weapons from you. Actually, let me rephrase. I will have all the weapons I buy from Gondor, made by you. if, I happen to be on the road or in another country and want to buy something, i surely will. But you can't beat a great blacksmith here at home. Let me just count my money, I'll be right behind you."

Tenharien fiddled around with his pouch, moving coins around with his finger to make sure he had more than enough. He began to walk towards the forge, watching out for that menacing cat to make sure he didn't trip over it. "Do you make arrows too? Just wondering." Ten took out all over the money he needed and held onto it until she was ready to take it.

Master Torturer
Liriel with the tailor - Myrtle's @Galastel

Liriel hitched the baby up in her arms to get him into a more comfortable position, while trying to shift the package under her arm as well. "Good gracious, you all weigh a ton!" she muttered to her son, though he only giggled and pulled on her hair again. Out of breath and really needing to sit down, her back all but killing her now, Liriel pushed through the door to the newly opened tailor. Thank goodness this one was closer to her own shop so that she could quickly run over and get this done, though still worried about leaving her eldest Gellir to mind her shop while she was gone. "He will be fine.." she muttered to herself as her keen blue eyes looked around the new shop, while trying to ignore the baby trying to pull her hair out.

Everything looked lovely and orderly, so unlike her own shop that looked like an avalanche had happened. She loved her store and took pride in how well stocked it was and loved all the little nooks and crannies where you could find some delicious treat or other, but tidyness sure did have advantages. Finally her gaze stopped at the woman and her son, her smile widening when she saw that the boy was darning some socks, giving a nod of approval as she too thought boys should learn basic skills.

"Good morning to you both!" Her voice was always a little louder than it should be, spending most of the day yelling out her wares. "I am sorry, mind if I put this little cretin down?" Not waiting for an answer, she put both the baby and the cloth package down, before stretching back to stop the pain in her lower back, her huge pregnant belly sticking out and almost busting the seams in her dress. "I swear these boys will be the death of me!" she moaned with a smile, her eyes twinkling. "I was wondering if you would have time to alter some of my dresses? Seems this one is getting a bit bigger than the others" she grinned while rubbing at her belly."