Glorious and Glamorous Gondorians (Then and Now)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Scholar of Gondor
Okay, some of the other Kingdoms are doing this too! Let's see those Glorious Gondorian faces:

1. when you first joined the Plaza and
2. somewhere in the recent past.

If you can resize your photos so they're not wider than 500 whatchmacallits, it'll keep things nice and tidy!

(York, England, Plaza meet in 2010, I think)
Last edited by Finduilas Faelivrin on Wed May 20, 2020 12:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

Scholar of Gondor
FINDY, past, later on and present

This was the Christmas before I first joined the Plaza, getting ready to go out for Christmas dinner with work friends.

This was hubby and me when we made a pilgrimage to Oxford for our 25th anniversary, 10 years ago.

This is present-day me (except for during lockdown): Springs Preserve in Las Vegas, NV (where we live).
I volunteer here every week, and usually work with the animals and in customer care.
This was when I was working in the Butterfly Habitat.
This year I've also done the Extreme Parrot shows and Jump! Dog Shows.
I've gotten to hold all sorts of crazy animals - a tarantula, snakes, a 3 inch Madagascar hissing cockroach & lizards.

Master Torturer
Omg, wow I would loove to volunteer in a preserve as well, love butterflies! I was once looking into voluntering to help parrots, but didn't have a car at the time. Might look into it when the lockdown eases :)

New Soul
Veo, past ('08) and present and then the kiddos. (Minion and Peanut (he's 8 already!) are the two on the right, I don't think the plaza ever gave the 3rd one (in glasses) a nickname, and the littlest one is has never had plaza debut)
Veowyn, Vandani, Jakiewyn, Caddrick, Ailura, Túrelia, Vigri, Vinca
Maldir - you are missed

Khazad Elder
@Finduilas Faelivrin YOU LIVE IN LAS VEGAS?!!? I lived there form 2010-2017. You are looking great! And i love springs preserve.

@Veowyn Your wrists are always hurt!!

Here is me then, and me now. (The lady in the first picture is my wife 6 years before we ever date. We were acquaintances through a friend of a friend who we both knew. We occasionally chatted over text over the years just keeping up then in 2009 she randomly messaged me on facebook messenger asking what I was up to these days? I was stationed in California and she was living in South Carolina. We kept phone calling and texting until 2010 when I asked her to marry me, and then in August 2010 we got married. At this point I was stationed in Las Vegas and she came out to live with me there. This year we will be married 10 years, and have 2 daughters age 6 and 10.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Soul
shhht. I KNOW! Always wrists or ankles. This was a picture from this same injury I have had about a month now. Two more weeks and it should be right as rain again
Maldir - you are missed

Captain of Tower
Hey all. It is great to see your faces. I haven't uploaded photos this way in years, so let's give this a try. It was fun to take a trip down memory lane and dig through photos since I didn't have digital albums yet when I joined the plaza. I have no idea how to resize these, but I chose the medium code for all.
This first one is the closest I could find to my plaza start. Summer of 2003, and I had joined in Nov '02. As you can see, I was working on my skills at cooking over a wood fire.

I do medieval recreation stuff with the SCA, so have lots of fun different photos with garb on. This is my most recent profile photo.

Some fun in-between:
Last summer after fencing
Dressed up for Court
Gondorian giving a Rohir directions at Faire (Firi and Karis)
One of my faire favorites, that I thought looked most Ranger-like.

I forgot to upload any not in garb, so that will be forthcoming later.
Ziranphel of the Green Hills ~ Thûllir Bregedŷr of Ithilien

Horse Trainer of The Mark
Karis... I'm pretty sure I still have that same expression when you give me directions. I love that pic
Once a Rider, always a Rider

Scholar of Gondor
This is so fun to see everyone and how much we've all changed over the years - AND we stuck with the Plaza, whether it was alive or not!

@Winddancer Windy, I enjoy doing this so much. I've been volunteering most weeks for the past two years. I should have earned my 500 hours badge this month, but we've been shut down all this time with just a few Springs Preserve employees keeping up the gardens, animal welfare, and streaming teaching & informational videos.

@Veowyn, I'm so glad we've kept in touch over all these years! I remember the first photo of yourself you posted on the Plaza. I think you were 19 then (?). Now you're 30? Wow! Can you believe I turned 63 this year? I don't feel that old, but there you go! Our girls are now 26 and 33. The youngest (I sent you a photo today with the dog) joined the Plaza when she was 11 (got special permission from BB, since I was able to keep an eye on her). She was a Hobbit, but lost interest eventually. She enjoyed her time here though.

@Oro! You lived in Vegas the same time as me? I take it that means you were (are?) in the Air Force? I spent my formative years on the Plaza in Scotland and we moved back to the USA in 2012 to care for our aging parents. I cared for my mother in law for five years until she passed away. What does your wife think about you on the Plaza? My hubby thinks it's great, but he's not into creative writing so much. He's hilarious though.

@Karis Ziranphel, it's like we've never left the Plaza, eh? It's been great to keep in touch with you over all these years on Facebook. Your photos didn't come out too big. I just suggested sizes because sometimes you can't tell how big they are until they're posted and they can come out GIANT. :smiley16:

New Soul
@Finduilas Faelivrin got a few more months, but yes,30 this year! :smiley16: 2 more years and the plaza will officially have been part of me for half my life! sure does not feel like it has been that long though. Wasn't it just yesterday that I joined? Do you think, now that she is older, that your girl would ever join up again? I've always wanted to connect with your girls, they seem so fun, and I am right in the middle of their ages. I am happy to have been able to keep in touch though, you are such a wonderful person!
Maldir - you are missed

Khazad Elder
@Finduilas Faelivrin Yup! Air Force still! Been with the it for 12 years now. And my wife knows about the plaza but is not into it. She makes fun of me for being a nerd. Haha rightfully so.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Oh, YES! Glorious and Glamorous Gondorians! Yay! GREAT pictures, everyone!

Then and now...

WAY back, before plaza nr 1, when I was maybe 6 or 7? And the next one should be of my first year of plaza, when I was 13:
Image Image

The first one below is from a month ago, when my son Wodan turned 1 year old and I had just turned 30. The second one is us showing the love!
Image Image
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Oh, love seeing all the faces!

I don't have any old pics with me, and the new ones are mostly from sporting events and such...

Like this one in a nearby trails - there were interesting wooden figures, so I wasted a few of my precious orienteering race minutes to take a photo or two. And the other is from rogaining (24-hour orienteering) in full equipment, photo taken by my teammate.

Image Image

And then there's a random selfie with my friend's cat, and a peek into orienteering is. Of course, I did not drive into the forest, just sat exploring the map and thinking of how to find control points.

Image [img]https:/Image

And also, just a couple of random nature pictures: the sea (like 2 km away from my home), and the lake view out of my apartment window.

Image Image

Loremaster of Gondor
Hopefully this works.

This is actually a photo of my 10 year reunion id tag that had a picture of my back in 2005 when I had joined the plaza.

This is the day I graduated basic training in the Army in 2006.

And now, just a few months ago. I got lazy after getting out of the Army. I purposefully keep my hair short, never mind the much less of it being there. I started losing my hair in high school.
Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy- Stonewall Jackson
Hubris guarantees disaster.- T C

Scholar of Gondor
@Arnyn , I remember that pic of you in the chair. I remember thinking you were way older (actually, just mature for your age) - and you always seemed so confident. What a little cutie you have there. I was already in my 40's when I joined the Plaza (had two young kids, girls) and really didn't know the FIRST thing about RPG's. I was just going to do some quizzes and leave. Who were all these nutty people writing these stories where they were the main character, eh?

@Pele Alarion, I'm so glad you're here - one of us oldies, but goodies, eh? What a beautiful view from your front door!!

@Turin Ringhûn, I remember when you first joined the Plaza. You always came up with some fun and interesting RP's for your character. It's good to have you back (and I believe we've been friends on Facebook for quite a while). Thank you for your service. :smiley22:

@Oro thank you for your service as well. Our youngest daughter, 26, is over in the dining room behind me studying hard to take the entrance exam (or whatever it's called) to join the Air Force. Having gone to school all of her life in Scotland, doing maths/arithmatic the American way is a real challenge. They did not do long division there. All of the numbers were written in one line inside the dividend, so she's been listening to YouTube videos to learn how to do it the "long" way. The UK way of doing division always confused me to no end, and I couldn't help her with that homework.

New Soul
Aw, it's so good to see all of your faces again!

I don't have a 2007 picture, but here's a very wee Toasty for you:

And here's the current mischief maker:

Image Image

And a little bit of shape shifting...

Image Image

Image Image

And this thing, that looks like it should be a trib icon...

they/he/mischief

Scholar of Gondor
@Mor Toast Awwww, love your wee Toasty and all of the acting & costuming. I can't remember if you're in the USA or UK, but you used the word "wee" so I thought maybe Scotland (where we lived for 21 years until 8 years ago). My hubby did some acting on TV, stage and Panto as well (I did some too, but on stage - I started out at 5 years old as one of the princesses on The King and I, and later on The Music Man, and then usually worked backstage and did props & scenery upwards to high school). Anyway, I'm loving your photos. Did you make these costumes yourself or did/do you have a "dresser"? You've got a wonderfully changeable face!

New Soul
@Finduilas Faelivrin I'm actually US based, but have often played a Scot when I work at the Renaissance Festival, or am just being silly. So wee worked its way into my vocabulary. XD

That's really cool! 5 years old; adorable. Do you have any old theatre photos? That'd be fun to see! I've done some backstage work as well, certainly-- it's all a part of the hustle, and I love it all. Though, I have to say-- having a break when I've often run at a foolish burnout pace trying to make ends meet... well, it's kind of nice.

I have made some costume pieces in the past, but not much-- I took costuming in college as part of my degree, but it's not my forte. For shows my main focus is performance, and there's generally a costumer who designs our pieces. I did the makeup for the Shere Khan character, and my beard for Combat Chess. We often do our own makeup-- though some shows I'm in have their own makeup designer as well. Just depends on ... budgets. Lol, why pay more artists, right? :roll:

Yes, changeable indeed! My actor website is wild to go through sometimes-- even the difference of going from two feet of long blonde hair to this wild ginger stuff makes a world of difference. It's cool to get to look back on.
they/he/mischief

Scholar of Gondor
@Mor Toast These are the only two photos of me that have survived from that era of doing those plays. Left is after doing The Music Man. I was one of the kids (townspeople) with my Mom and sister, about 3rd grade probaby, and Right is when I played one of the Siamese children at age 5. I can still remember the smell of that black hairspray they sprayed our heads with so we'd look Siamese. My Dad was always the star in every play it seems and he sang on stage until he died at 71 from a heart problem. Our whole family took part. These are how the "good" photos came out - digital photos were just a twinkle in somebody's eye. My mom was a champion seamstress (hobby) and made all of the costumes for everyone in the plays. I participated in those from age 5 until 18 when I moved to California from Ohio. Later on I got involved with our church's comedy drama sketches, which we took on the road for quite a few years. That's how we ended up in the UK.

Now we've been back to the USA (Las Vegas) for 8 years and hubby and I both sing in our church's Gospel choir. We're the only Catholic church in Nevada with a "black presence" according to the USCCB. I don't know if you'll be able to see this, but here's a link to our Facebook group and us singing at Christmas. I'm in the back row (singing bass with the men) and my hubby is in the front row, middle (he's an awesome singer). https://www.facebook.com/aleta.christen ... 767733904/ It's not super clear (our daughter filmed it on Christmas Eve), but there you go. We are sorely missing our choir friends because of the lockdown. Doing Bible study group on Zoom though. I run our church's Facebook group and we have been filming the priest & deacons doing mass every Sunday so our members can participate safely from their homes.

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
I don't have any pictures from when I first joined here, but to go on a bit of an adventure of roughly a then and now.

Hehe that wee Toasty picture. Not quite as wee but, Pre-Plaza/Tolkien fanaticism. It's nice to re-discover I was just as weird then as I am now (ack, I can't seem to resize this one :-/)

Senior, I had been a member here for roughly 2 years. Ahh the days when we all used a bunch of hair gel.

And more recently 2019 at the Tolkien Maker of Middle-earth exhibit:

A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him
Tis the season of Sean Bean prequel shows

Scholar of Gondor
Hi @Boromir88 ! It's great to see you back in action!

Éowyn
Éowyn
Pele, I do love that view from your window, but that picture with the wooden figure is my favorite. :D

Mor Toast, I think my favorite look for you is the one with the red sunglasses and instruments. ^^
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

New Soul
@Arnyn Thanks! I definitely enjoy that one. :)
they/he/mischief

New Soul

Was looking through the external hard disk today for something else and I remembered I have some old photos from back in the day, so I figured I might make a little collage thingy and post it here, especially since I stumbled on this carnival gem in the middle :smiley9:

1. This one is from 2005, I joined the Plaza around that time if my memory serves me right. Had the shoulder length hair that looked like hair instead of overcooked noodles :smiley9:
2. Carnival February 2006, hair in the overcooked noodles stage, but don't look so shabby as a Gondorian soldier if I do say so myself. :smiley9:
3. Latest photo from this month (June 2020) 15 years later, chopped off the overcooked noodles and died my hair purple. Colourful eyelooks are a signature style nowadays. Glasses too because I am an old blind colourful bat :smiley9:
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Captain of Tower
Welcome back Nessa! Great to see your face again.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Nessa, I love your current look! It suits you extremely well (in my humble opinion)!
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Child of Gondor
So uh. I don't think I have a photo from that far back, but this was taken on the theatrical release date for ROTK so it's close enough XD

And this one was taken sometime in the middle of The Plague this year, roughly 15 years later [lord I feel old now]
Elairon Veryanólë Rácandil
Gilaeron Berengûr Gaulmeldir
Either one is a mouthful; call me Trey

Master Torturer
Good to see you, Trey! :D

New Soul
Karis - thank you *hugs* Arnyn - thank you *hugs* I adore my short hair, especially when I can go crazy with the hair colour without having to worry much over it. If I don't like it I (well my hairdresser :smiley9: ) chops it off.
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

New Soul
@Nessa Saelind I love the short purple hair -- also excellent glasses! Agree on the hair point; if you hate it, it's great to be able to just chop it off.

Love the outfit, Trey!
they/he/mischief

Scholar of Gondor
Good to see you again, @Trey !! You are definitely a blast from the past! *hugs*

Wainrider
@Finduilas Faelivrin Findy hi! Apolyon here, or Polygon if you remember. How've you all been?

Man, this is a long-awaited reunion!

Scholar of Gondor
Howdy, @Fenrir! Of course I remember you, though as time goes on my memories are growing hazier (especially when folks have changed their names a bunch of times). :lol: I came back full-force and then something went click in my neck. Lo and behold, I've got loads of bone spurs. Been getting treatment from several docs. So I'm popping in once in awhile and sitting at the sidelines, mostly. I hope to be out & about here more often. I just need to take it easy.

Wainrider
aww sorry to hear that. Take care Findy and take your time!

Istari Sage
Since this has been fun looking at other people growing up I figure it's only fair to post some of me.

This one would have been roughly around when I first joined so like 2003-2004ish. I was like 13 or something on a camping trip with a friend and his family. I read the Silmarillion on this trip, I still have that copy and it's the one I use as reference (since I don't feel bad messing up the pages)
This is like 2007-2008 or so, graduating high school so 18ish
Visiting Tolkien's grave, I think I was 19 or 20. I think this is roughly around when I was Denethor in Shadow Lands on the plaza.
And this one is from a couple of months ago I'm *does some quick math* now 32. That's one of my dog's in the picture, his name is Loki (we didn't name him) but he's more Low-Key than anything.

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Romeran , look at you! Your 18-year old self really has that "whatever" expression down! :lol: Or is that just me?
32 is a good age (mumbles something about turning that number in a few months), don't let anyone tell you any different! :googly:
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Istari Sage
@Arnyn Haha yeah I definitely had the "whatever" face going on in like 100% of the pictures between basically the first and second photos. I started dating my (now) wife right around the second photo (we were 18) and I eventually learned to just smile in pictures. :lol: it'll be our ten year wedding anniversary this year!

I've been very much enjoying my thirties. It might be because I spent 7 years of my twenties in university/grad school though, definitely glad that's behind me!

Master Torturer
Great to put a face to the name! :D Been to Tolkien's grave too :) Hm, don't know if I took a pic.. wonder where they would be, was it digital back then? lol

Captain of Tower
Heya Romeran I recognize those middle photos. Good to see you again and to hear that your wife has taught you to "just smile more." :smooch:
I am so much better at remembering faces than names. The plaza is normally the exception, as we don't often see faces.

Istari Sage
I’m better with faces too! I remember the plaza meetup. I couldn’t find any pictures of it, not that I would have taken any realistically.

I used to be such a grump about pictures, my wife likes taking pictures so I had to get used to it. I’ve since learned it’s best to go with the flow :lol:

Éowyn
Éowyn
:lol: Good man, Romeran! I used to duck for most pictures as well, but did try to look happy when I "had to" lol. Sounds like you were worse though.
I didn't love uni either, working felt like a much better deal. I couldn't stop thinking about study to do's .. I can easily stop thinking about work. :grin: Kids do mess with the freedom but hey, pros and cons. :googly:
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Istari Sage
Arnyn wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:13 am I didn't love uni either, working felt like a much better deal. I couldn't stop thinking about study to do's .. I can easily stop thinking about work.
Even though I finished my PhD like 5 years ago now I still have nightmares occasionally that I had forgotten to take some class or turn in some report and that they school was going to revoke my degree :googly: thankfully I'm much better at separating work and life than I was school and life.
Arnyn wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:13 am Kids do mess with the freedom but hey, pros and cons. :googly:
They certainly do! My wife and I don't have any children but many of our friends do now. I'm hoping my little sister and her husband will have kids soon, I'm looking forward to being an uncle :grin:

High Warden of Tower
Lovely pics, @Romeran ! But shhhhh... no need to mention that so many years have passed.

High Warden of Tower
*digs out this thread and dusts off*

Anyone got new or old pics to share? :grin:

I went through my photo collection and found this... apparently fell asleep on duty. :tongue:

Orc
Lots of great pics all :) Nice to meet you all