Ithilien, Pelargir, The Southern Fiefdoms (Free RP)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage
Calithildis (Cali), Iuldir, and Ivornith

Noticing Fuin starting to shut things down, Ivornith shook her head. "Oh, no, please don't let me stop your work," She told her. "It seems to be coming along rather well... and I'm glad you came when you did, too." She agreed. "But, I think I ought to get Rissy into the house, it's going to storm and I know she'll be frightened." She glanced around at them all. "I'll have supper ready in a couple hours, I'm sure you'll all be rather hungry and tired by then." She stood, and looked at Cali. "Your secret is safe with me, of course. I won't say a word to anyone, for as long as you wish me to keep it."

"Thank you." Cali smiled slightly. "I'll get Rissy for you." She climbed up to the loft, having to take a while to convince Rissy that the kitties would be perfectly fine out here even with the storm, that they would be happier to be left here, and wouldn't like to have to go through the rain to get to the house. Finally she convinced the child to come down with her, and climbed back down the ladder with Rissy clinging to her back. She turned her over to her mother.

"Mommy, you aren't sposed to be here, you'll see.." Rissy stopped herself, frowning a little.
"It's alright Rissy," Ivornith smiled. "Cali has already told me all about it."
Rissy's eyes widened and she looked over at Cali. "Will I still get a dolly?" She asked, looking a bit upset.
Cali laughed. "Of course. I promised, and I will keep that promise, just like you kept yours. I'll get you a dolly, first chance I get."

"Ah, so that's how you got her to keep quiet." Ivornith smiled. "Well, don't let me keep you." She picked up Rissy, wrapping her cloak around her to help keep her dry, and kissed Iuldir's head. "Be careful." She warned him, unsure what all he had begun doing by now, but it could never hurt to remind him to be careful.
Iuldir struggled not to roll his eyes. "Yes, mother. I'm careful." He watched, slightly relieved when she waved and slipped out, hurrying through the rain to get inside the house with Rissy.

Once she had gone, Cali heard him sigh in relief. She felt about the same way, but for different reasons. "I'm..glad she took it well." She commented quietly.
"Yes! And now you don't have to keep being so secretive all the time!" Iuldir grinned, thrilled.
"Not with your mother, no." She smiled slightly, though she wondered about others, and didn't feel quite ready to begin telling just anyone, not yet. Maybe in time, but she'd have to wait until she was ready. For now, though, they had a project to finish. "Um, where were we?" She wondered, glancing back at their work.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Lord of Imladris
The Outskirts of Dol Amroth
Present Day.

@Rillewen

It took a bit for Rissy and Ivornith to be on their way out and Rissy's reaction her her mother being there there was priceless as was the request about the dolly before she and the youngest child slipped out out of the forge. The two of them that remained were hilarious with their sighs, Fuin was certain Iuldir was sighing over getting kissed on the head as well as the reminder to be careful. And Cali... well. She had no doubt where that sign came from.

"I am working on the second wheels outer rim. If you Iuldir is finished with that one hub the two of you could out the first rim on the hub and spokes that we already finished, or you can start on the axel to attach the two large wheels together" Fuin said calmly flipping the lock off of the bellows that she had locked a few minutes before. She shifted the metal she was working on into the coals fully and began working the massive heavy bellows. Now that they didn't need to worry about Ivornith catching them they could push far closer to dinner and since Ivornith was home and had said she would be making supper for them they could push further. She felt a bit bad for Afarfin, and whoever it was that was traveling with him in this rain. It would be a miserable day to travel and if the weather didn't let up a miserable night. She had no doubt that she would have a very miserable husband to talk to tomorrow when he finally arrived.

With that she pulled the metal and began her work sparing only a momentary glance to Cali and Iuldir.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage[
Calithildis (Cali), Iuldir

"Oh! I still need to finish it. I'm almost done!" Iuldir remembered, and hurried back to his task. He had one more bar to tap into place. Smiling a bit, Cali took the rim, waiting for him to be done. "The second hub is ready, if you want to start on it now. I'll do the rim, and we can work on the axle next." She suggested, and started to work on attaching the rim to the spokes. As she worked, she kept an eye on Iuldir, nodding slightly to herself as she observed how well he did with the second hub, which was a bit better than the first, now that he knew more what to do. "That's very good, Iuldir." She commented. Soon she had one wheel finished, and set it aside. When the second rim was finished, as well as the second hub, she started to work on attaching it the same way.

"Can I help make the axle?" Iuldir asked as he came to Fuin, wondering how an axle might be made. "This'll be so much more fun now that mother knows all about it!" He grinned, thinking of all the things he might be able to do now, like some stuff he'd wanted to try making for his mother, but couldn't before without her asking questions. He glanced outside as a loud roll of thunder was heard, followed by some lightning. He frowned, then went and closed the door to try and shut out the rain and noise a bit more, then returned. "I hope it stops raining soon..." He frowned, knowing for one that it frightened his sister, but also that it made the roof leak, and that wasn't so much fun.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Lord of Imladris
Young Mylien (5 years old)
Third Age Dol Amroth
Open

She was on the docks as she had been the last few days trying to get on with a fishing ship, she knew that sort of, even if it was just to unload the fish, but nobody really had the time or the patience to take on an orphan worker. One was willing until they figured out she was a girl, and had run her off telling her they didn't need the bad luck on his boat.

Currently she was hiding behind several crates so that the Knights couldn't grab her and drag her away from the docks. She'd learned that the hard way more than once where they had dragged her away from the docks and told her not to come back - she hadn't listened to them and they'd threatened to put her in the gaol so that she couldn't bother the good people working on the docks. It was something that was making her dislike the Knights that only years ago when she had been considered a 'good people' had been kind to her she was too young to understand that war was starting and that war was coming and distrust was brewing in anyone that wasn't contributing to society meaningfully.

For now she was safe from them they hadn't seen her disappear and she was certain that she could stay hidden here a while longer. She did need to eat soon though she hadn't had food for a few days water was easy there were city fountains all over the place and wells that were easy to drink from but food was hard to get a hold of right now. She was peaking out when she saw someone scuttle down the side of a ship, a much larger than any of the boats she'd been working on, an apple in their mouth and another in their hand and Mylien couldn't help but lick her lips and she watched where they slipped away from and decided she was going to see if they would tell her where she could find food in the holds of those massive ships but stopped as the knights caught the person and she slipped back behind the stack laying low like a mouse waiting and watching and deciding that perhaps it would be best if she waited until it was night when the Knights wouldn't be able to see her as easy. She'd have to be quiet and small, something she had very much gotten very good at being.

Night fell and Mylien had lucked out the stack of crates had been left alone the ship she was near loading other crates still though she was certain that the crates that she was hiding behind would be going as well. It took her a bit to work up her courage. She'd never been on a ship before and she was certain if she was caught doing this she would be taken to the gaol for thieving. She glanced about making sure the Swan Knights were well away from where she was in their patrol of the dock and slipped up the gangway of the ship and into its hold and wandered slowly listening for the sounds of sleeping men, as well as those that might be awake in the black hold. It took her eyes forever to adjust and she ended up feeling her way along through the bottom finding a barrel of apples and eating two of them before stuffing several into her shirt that was tucked into her pants and began making her way back to the top deck and hopefully the dock without being caught.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

The work was going quickly now that they were working independently on different parts of the chair itself it looked like aside from perhaps the leather of the chair portion itself they'd get the rest of it finished before Afarfin arrived. Cali took the stretched metal of the second rim and had begun wrapping it around the second hub and spokes that Iuldir had managed to finish much faster than the first one having gotten more confidence with the first one. he then joined Fuin as she began heating a large ingot to make an axel asking if he could help her.

"Sure. It's going to be a bit like the spokes but thicker. that way it can take Caelebs weight the older he gets and if it bounces over anything, so we will need to hand hammer it as there aren't going to be forms thick enough for for this." SHe said calmly and Iuldir nodded excited about the chance to do more hammering with the metal itself.

Fuin pulled the metal and set it on the anvil and told him to hit it in the same place she hit it. He nodded and held his hammer in both hands and the two of them set to work. "If you get tired lifting the hammer, you can occasionally do this." She missed the axel on purpose making the anvil ring a common sound in the forges of men who grew tired easier than elves, and the hammer bounced up. "It makes it so it's less work to lift the hammer." Iuldirs eyes went big having never realized that's where the clear ringing sound came from, hitting hot metal never made that sound it was a weird soft sound he'd always wondered where the ringing sound came from. The anvil rang every third or fourth strike after that as Iuldir was having a hard time keeping up his arms were already tired but he did not want to admit it at all.

High Lord of Imladris
Third Age Dol Amroth
Open
TW: Near Drowning

She was slipping across the deck when suddenly she let out a yelp as a hand grabbed her by the back of her shirt tearing the seams making her yelp in terror as she was dragged backwards the apple that was in her hand hitting the deck and rolling away as she thrashed violently trying to get away from whoever had grabbed her.

"LIttle bloody bilge mouse thief" came the bellow and then there were more footsteps running towards her and Mylien panicked twisting and biting the mans hand as hard as she could causing him to scream and let go of her giving her a chance to run. She made for the ships railing a jumped not caring what was on the other side it was better than being caught and going to gaol or getting a flogging as a thief. She fell almost 15 feet before she hit the water with a slap that knocked the wind from her and made her see stars as she began to sink into the water that churned around the ship and the dock footings that she had only just missed in her desperate escape but now was crashed into by the merciless force of the sea her shoulder slamming into it fully making her scream in pain and her lungs began to fill with water as she struggled. Her head spun and she tried to move her one arm get herself face up, but her clothing was dragging her down and she was pretty certain that she was going to die as the tide pulled her off of the footing and she was being dragged out to sea something that made the men that had watched her panicked leap decided she was dead.

"Good riddance." The sailor muttered the Swan Knights that watched her float away shook their heads, they recognized her as a local street urchin thief. Perhaps the sailor was right, her loss would mean that there would be less work for them in making sure that she didn't steal from honest men and women in Dol Amroth. They watched a moment longer as the dirty shirt of the street rat slipped out of their sight thinking it had sunk not realizing that the tides had pushed her round to the other side of the ship knocking her against the prow of the ship flipping her onto her back and began shoving her back towards the shore.

She gasped as her body scrapped against the rough stones of the shore and she coughed up a mouthful of salt water throwing up as quietly as she could realizing they might still be after her not knowing they'd left her for dead and walked away. She was shaking hard and her arm was in pain and so horribly useless gasping and clinging to the dark wet rocks for several moments sand pressed onto the side of her face as she tired hard to not cry in self pity for several minutes before she forced herself to her feet she needed to get away from the docks she was going to go and hide in the merchant square in her little home once more and hopefully recover there.

She held her arm her shirt hanging off of her shoulder letting her see the massive scrapes and bruises the covered her shoulder from where she'd struck the dock footing. She did her best to avoid anybody in the dark not wanting anyone to see her or question her as she figured they would report her to a healer or the knights. After all how often did one find a bruised and bleeding half drowned street urchin? She wiggled down the tiny opening wincing with each jar of her arm as she made her way to her 'home' and collapsed under the tiny roof and curled up into a tiny ball cradling her injured arm.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage[

Iuldir focused as well as he could while he helped Fuin with making the axle shaft, determined that he was going to do his very best even though he was very tired. Cali glanced over from time to time as he and Fuin worked, until she had finished with wrapping the outer rim around both wheels. She laid those both aside and took a look at them, smiling a bit at their work. Now, while Fuin and Iuldir were working on the axle, she decided she could get another bit of metal heating, so she got another small piece of metal and put it into the heat, but not where it would be in the way of what they were working on. After it was heated enough, she quickly formed it into a little teacup, to match the saucer which Fuin had made before.

Once she had finished with that, she turned to them. "Shall I help with the axle?" She asked, unsure whether Iuldir would be able to do much to help. "If not, then I'll start working on another part, but it looks like it might be a little bit hard with only the two of you." She added, knowing Iuldir must be getting quite tired by now but wouldn't admit it.. so she could take over in his place, if he needed a breather. She guessed she wouldn't have to say as much to Fuin, but hoped Iuldir wouldn't know she meant him specifically.
Last edited by Rillewen on Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
he Outskirts of Dol Amroth
Present Day.
@Rillewen

She could tell Iuldir was getting tired so when Cali offered to help she nodded "Yes I think you're help would speed up shaping the axel" Fuin said knowing full well that Iuldir was a proud little boy who she had already seen yesterday was stubborn and unwilling to admit that he was tired.

With Cali the axel shaped even with Iuldir still trying to help, as they were finishing the axel Fuin figured it might be smart for them to call it quits for the day or Iuldir wouldn't be able to do any sort of smithing at all tomorrow. As it was Fuin figured he was going to be be aching from working far harder and far longer than he was use to.

"Supper will be soon, I think if we get the axel attached to the large wheels we are finished for the day." Fuin said looking at Cali and then Iuldir as if to say that she knew the young man wouldn't quit until they did and they had gotten so far already that they should be able to get all the metal work done in the morning before... well they didn't know Afarfin was almost there in the grey rain curtain she wasn't even entirely sure that she would be able to see where he was exactly now but she had no doubt that it had slowed them down a bit the rain would make it harder on the wagon to roll and they would need to make sure the horse was well tended or they could hurt it and Afarfin would not do that.

There was still the task of getting the axel attached. This took a fair amount of work heating the hubs and punching through them and then putting the ends of the axel through and riveting the heavy metal of the axel back over the outside of the hub making sure the wheels would not fall off the axel. Once that was on both sides Fuin put the wheels down and gave them a push with her foot sending them rolling smoothly cross the forge floor.

"Excellent work!"

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

Iuldir watched with great curiosity as they attached the axle bar to the wheels, and was further amazed how nicely it looked. Watching Fuin give it a push to roll it across the floor, he cheered at how well it worked. "That's great!" He was exhausted, but wasn't about to say anything about that. If Cali could keep working, he was determined that he could, too. Still, he was very glad to hear them say it was time to wrap it up for the night. He could hardly wait to get some supper and then go to bed. Hopefully his arms wouldn't be so weary in the morning, but he had a feeling they might be tired then, too. Remembering some of the first lessons Cali had taught him, he began to work on putting things up now that they were done, so that Cali and Fuin could wash up.

Cali smiled, seeing how nicely the wheels turned out, and was glad that they were so perfectly even. Not that she expected anything less, with a grandmaster smith helping out, but she knew it could be quite easy to get one wheel slightly slanted, and had been carefully watching out for such a thing, just in case. Thankfully, the wheels turned out very well and rolled very nicely across the floor. She watched with approval as Iuldir began to work on putting things away, and nodded slightly to herself before heading to the washbasin. "Well, how much longer would you guess the rest of it will take?" She asked Fuin, curious. "Do you think they're still pursuing you?" She added, quieter, trying to recall exactly who it was that was after Fuin.

Once they had washed up, Cali checked to make sure that Iuldir didn't forget anything, then led the way to the house, hurrying to get through the rain which was coming down quite hard by now. Upon entering the house, she paused to wipe her feet on the rug and then looked around, a bit embarrassed to see how many buckets had been placed around the house. Ivornith and Rissy had been busily keeping an eye out for leaking spots. In fact, Cali wasn't sure she'd ever seen this many leaks in the house at once, but then it was raining harder than usual. "Um, please pardon the buckets," She said quietly to Fuin, wishing she knew how to fix the roof so that they wouldn't have to deal with this problem. With one foot, she nudged one of the buckets over about an inch, to make sure it was centered under the drip, figuring that might be one that Rissy had placed for her mother, and then ventured toward the kitchen. "I'm sure supper must be ready by now... something smells very good."

High Lord of Imladris
Third Age Dol Amroth
Open

She had slept for days her should black and blue and all for what? A few apples, that she'd managed to make off with. When she did finally wake she was stiff and her body didn't want to move and she felt as if her lungs were still on fire. She couldn't tell how long it took her to get up from where she had been curled up in a ball her arm was still hanging limply and she wasn't hungry, not a good sign she figured. She was certain that it had been days her throat though was dry and screaming for water. There was a public fountain near by, that could be drunk from. She struggled to her feet and slipped down the alley until shew as on the main street. There she kept her injured shoulder to the wall making sure nobody could bump it by accident until she was at the fountain. She half sat half collapsed on the edge of it, there were people watching her, she didn't realize just how bad she looked as she used her one good arm to scoop up mouthfuls of water. It didn't feel like it was anywhere near enough. She kept drinking oblivious to the world around her when a hand landed on her good shoulder pulling her back.

"That's enough lassie, ye'll drown yerself, looks like yer half way there already" She jumped spinning away looking up at the man, he was dressed like a sailor but no man of the Navy.

"What do you care?"

"well I s'pose I don't really, but I've seen enough sailors half drown to recognize what yer doing." He said and crouched low. "Ye are hurt let me take ye to a healer. and we'll see if someone smart enough to slip the Knights can get me information in return for help."

Mylien for her part looked around not knowing what to do with this man, or if there were Knights coming before giving a tiny nod.

"Good lassie let's get going before some of these old hens go running to tell the Knights about a drown dock mouse hmm?" he held out his right hand and she took it and the two slipped down the street.

She did not like the healer, so many herbs and so much pain and her shoulder still hurt and was strapped down and tied up and she couldn't move and her throat hurt from having to cough up more salt water she didn't even know was still in her lungs. She was utterly exhausted and this man was standing there talking to the healer as she struggled to stay awake but losing that battle. She was in good hands though, and when she woke up she found anew shirt, her old one was torn and blood stained, as well as new pants and shoes and instructions to meet him on the fishing docks well away from the Navy before dusk.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin looked at what they had done already. "Well if we work hard mid afternoon tomorrow the hardest parts were the wheels and we've got those done aside from the little ones and the frame. So that should be enough time." Fuin said calmly she smirked as Cali asked if she was being pursued.

"Aye, I figure they'll be here right around when we finish, I saw they were well on their way this morning, it will be hard to see in the rain but I am sure Afarfin and whoever he is with will be trudging through this rain for a while yet before taking a break for the horses for the night." Fuin said calmly with a shrug.

Fuin was shocked at the state of the house compared to the forge how it as standing in good shape roof wise compared to house. Fuin for her part shook her head. "Buckets all about is still better than sleeping out in this rain." She said with a smile. She made a mental note that while Afarfin was helping get Caeleb the use of a wheelchair that she was going to make sure he helped with the roof and get it water tight once more so that Cali and Ivornith and the children wouldn't have to worry about their house falling apart on them as a leak could lead to even more damage. "And whatever Ivornith has made smells absolutely fantastic." She said with a smile her stomach grumbling impatiently for a meal.

"When my husband and whoever is with him get here we'll put him to work hopefully." Fuin said with a chuckle hoping that it would stop raining by tomorrow just after he arrived so he could see what these women were dealing with. She'd even go back to the House of Healing willingly if he did as she asked. She wasn't beyond bartering such things.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

Supper was quite a bit better with Ivornith's cooking, rather than Cali's. Cali had never tried to deceive herself into thinking she was a good cook, and had, in fact, never had a great deal of interest in cooking. She'd focused more on other things. Like smithing. Since moving in with her sister-in-law, she had learned how to put together a meal, to help when Ivornith was too tired to want to cook. But mealtime was always a bit more enjoyable for everyone when Ivornith did the cooking, having been practicing cooking for significantly longer than Cali had.

Throughout the meal, Iuldir excitedly told his mother all about the work they'd done so far, and was very happy that he no longer had to conceal things and refrain from talking about this or that. Cali smiled, letting him talk all he wanted, until he'd run out of things to talk about. At last, supper had concluded and the kids had gone to bed. Cali was sure that Iuldir would sleep very soundly, having worn himself out at the forge.

Once the kids had been put to bed, Ivornith went around, checking each of the buckets, pots, and pails to make sure none needed to be emptied before they also went to bed. "It seems you all had a very productive day, at least." She commented to Cali and Fuin, as she took a bucket and dumped the water outside before placing it back where it had been. Cali located the mop and began to work on trying to clean up any excess water that was on the floor.

"Yes, we figure we should be finishing the chair tomorrow, if all goes well." Cali nodded, pulling a curtain aside so that the window leak wouldn't get on it, then stuck a cup under the leak and hoped for the best. She blinked at a streak of lightning that lit up the sky outside, then decided to step away from the window, just in case. "Luckily the room you're staying in hasn't sprung any leaks, that I know of," She added to Fuin, still a little awkward about the leaky roof. "Sorry for all the indoor rain." She added with a slight smile.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

The meal was fantastic and Fuin helped clean up after it as well and helped empty out a few of the buckets that were getting close to full. The apologies for the leaky roof was not needed, like she'd said it was still better than sleeping outside in the rain. She was happy to see at the very least that the little girls normal room was not leaking, that made her feel better. Tonight she was exhausted, and went to bed early sleeping soundly even as the rain continued to pound down on the roof. When she woke in the morning it was still raining though perhaps not quite as hard as it had been when she had gone to bed.

She sat up stiff and she could feel her muscles aching slightly and groaned. It had been months since she had been working this hard in a forge and she had no doubt that if she was feeling it as an elf, she had no doubt that Cali and Iuldir also would be feeling stiffness at best. She stood and massaged her arms as best as she could her back needed it as well however her back also was sore. She slipped out of the room hearing someone emptying buckets. She slipped out to see Ivornith working to empty them as quickly as possible. Fuin started to help as well and she seemed embarassed that someone married to a lord was helping to empty buckets filled with rain water and insisted that Fuin need not do such, but Fuin was not the sort to be sat and waited on. "If you think I'm bad just wait until my husband gets here." She joked, knowing she had stated Afarfin was an elven Lord. "Are Cali and Iuldir awake yet? I am thinking they are going to be sore from how long and hard we were working on the chair."

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calithildis (Cali) and Ivornith

Ivornith was not quite sure how to handle the fact that Fuin insisted on helping, but since she wouldn't take no for an answer, the woman gave up trying. "No, they aren't awake yet. I imagine they'll be up shortly, though. I Would you like some breakfast? I was about to start cooking. I usually get up before everyone else." She smiled faintly and went to the kitchen to get started on cooking. "You expect your husband to arrive today, then?" She asked, glancing a bit worriedly at the pails scattered about the house, feeling quite self-conscious about the idea of an elvish Lord coming to her home and seeing all of that.

Cali woke feeling a bit stiff, stretching as she went about getting dressed. It had been a while since she'd worked that intently at anything in the forge, and it was strange to think how she used to do this just about every night. How she ever survived, she couldn't say. It took her a bit longer to get dressed, but eventually she came out of her room, stretching her arms yet again as she made her way into the kitchen. "Good morning." She smiled at Fuin and Ivornith, thinking again about the talk she'd had with Ivornith last night, after everyone went to bed. "I see it's still raining." She commented, sighing.
Last edited by Rillewen on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin smiled "Breakfast would be lovely I'll mop up the rest of the water that spilled while you cook if you'd like? " She saw her glancing at the buckets and chuckled. "He lives with me Ivornith, you will like him he should be here as long as the wagon he's on doesn't get stuck. He may not like me." Fuin said looking up at the leaking ceiling. Watching the consistent dripping. "I imagine despite being an elven lord he's going to look a fair bit like a drowned rat and be quite grumpy with me." She said with a chuckle and smiled seeing Cali as well.

"Good morning, how do you think Iuldir is going to..." She heard the loud gasp from the other part of the house. "Not well." She said as Ivornith looked at her confused. "I don't suppose you have some lavendar oil or something like that? I think Iuldir may need a bit rubbed on his arms." Fuin said calmly as she went and sat down at the table knowing full well that Iuldir would be probably either asking for help or taking a very very long time to get dressed and come for breakfast.

"I think we may want to have Iuldir in charge of coal today, to give his arms a bit of a break." Fuin said getting up and pouring herself a mug of tea. "Do you want tea as well Cali, Ivornith while we wait for Iuldir?" Fuin asked since she was pouring.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

"Lavender oil?" Ivornith wondered, as Cali nodded and went to a cabinet to retrieve some which she used for such occasions. It helped to have a mother who's a nurse and a best friend who'd gone into healing as well, for she had learned a few tricks for helping to keep her smithing a secret even when she worked long and hard. "I'll go and see to Iuldir, don't worry." She said, weaving her way through the leaks to get to his room.

After knocking, she heard that his voice was a bit strained as he answered. She stepped in once he said it was ok, and smiled. "How's your arms?" She asked, guessing.
"Umm.." He hesitated.
Cali laughed lightly, and sat by him. "Here, this ought to help." She had him hold his arms out as she pushed his sleeves up, then gently began applying it. "That's what happens when you push yourself too hard. It'll hurt for a while, but it'll fade. Your muscles will get used to this sort of thing, and then you'll be stronger for it." She assured him. "At least you don't have to keep it secret from your mother now. Can you imagine having to pretend like you were fine, with your arms feeling like this?"
Iuldir shook his head, wincing a bit as he tried to move his arms. "How am I going to be able to help with the chair now?" He frowned.
"Don't worry. You won't be doing so much of the work, but you'll be helping still, in what ways you can." She told him. "Your mother has breakfast almost done, so try not to take too long getting dressed, alright?" She smiled and left him to get dressed.

The lavender oil wasn't a bad idea, actually, and she stopped off in her room to add a little onto her own arms before returning to the kitchen. "There's still a bit left, if you'd like to use some." She offered to Fuin, unsure whether the elf would need any or not. She left it where it was in easy reach and then went to get the plates out to help Ivornith. "Do you think you'll be expected to work today, with it raining as it is?" She wondered.

"I'm not sure," Ivornith frowned. "I imagine not, though. Last time I came to clean Lady Lothebor's house when it was raining, she was quite upset that I dripped all over the floor, and brought in some mud on my shoes, even though I cleaned it up. I suppose she'd rather I waited until it's no longer raining." She decided. "I'll work on some mending and other things which I can do here, in the meanwhile."

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

"Mmmhmm" Fuin said as Cali already went to tend to poor Iuldir. Fuin could smell it on Cali as well when she returned. "I'm fine thank you. I am only just feeling it and after today I will be on my way back to Minas Tirith and I'm sure Iuldir will want more tomorrow to help ease it, it'll be a while before his arms don't get sore from working hard." She mused before it was discussed on Ivornith going to work.

It seemed like she would be home again, which would mean that Rissy would be taken care of as it were, and Fuin mused someone would be around when Afarfin and his friend rolled into the small homestead. The elleth also mused that they would not have to stop every so often to go and make sure the buckets were emptied regularly so that the house didn't get worse damage. She was sure that Afarfin would already be awake and moving wanting to keep moving through this rain so that he could get out of it - he probably was hoping that Fuin hadn't taken off in the rain making it hard for him to see her since they had seen each other.

Breakfast was a simple affair and Fuin enjoyed it Iuldir for his part seemed quite stiff while he was trying to eat and Fuin looked at him. "So I think Iuldir a good lesson from yesterday is your limits." Fuin said with a small smile. "There is no need to rush to learn everything and do everything all in one day." She said as they all ate. "It's alright to tell me or Cali that you need a break, if you don't you could get hurt, especially if you don't have two excellent smiths watching you so that they know you aren't going to hurt yourself." She said calmly. She had no doubt that today he'd likely be limited to shoveling coal and perhaps doing water runs for them and perhaps getting metal. She would not be letting him do any hammering today personally, nor would he be using tongs after all they didn't need things being dropped especially if the metal was hot.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins
ImageImage

Iuldir nodded, understanding about what they meant. "I'll try not to do too much anymore," He promised. It was very unpleasant having to deal with the consequences of that, and wished there was a quick way to get over it.
"In time you'll be able to do a lot more than that without any problem," Cali assured him, helping to clean up from breakfast with a smile. "But for now, let's just keep to what you can do, and only push yourself a little bit, alright?"
"Alright." He agreed, grinning.

Once the dishes had been cleared away, they headed out to the forge. Iuldir struggled a bit to get the coals lit this time, as his arms were so sore, but eventually he got it and then stood back, wincing as he tried to will the pain to go away. "Alright, it'll be your job to keep us supplied with coal, alright? Think you can still lift the shovel?"
"I think I can manage it." Iuldir nodded, hoping so anyway. "Don't worry, I'll be sure and let you know if I'm too tired, this time."

In the house, Ivornith, after reminding her son to be careful and follow instructions, had sat down to begin working on a pile of clothing that needed mending, while Rissy played nearby with her toys.

Steward of Gondor

Glauriel Lothebor and Saffyre Stone
In the rich area of Dol Amroth; Lothebor Manor

The rain had drenched the yard, leaving large puddles scattered all over. As the heavy downpour continued, Saffyre spent her morning happily splashing around in the many puddles. The mud puddle at the bottom of a grassy slope was the largest and sloppiest, just like she liked it best. Her favorite game to play was to take off at a run toward the hill, and just as she reached the crest she would throw herself down to the slippery grass and go sliding down the hill, where she would land with a great Splash! right into the biggest puddle of all, at the bottom. That was absolutely the most fun thing in the world, she thought. Especially because Grandma hated it so much when she did this.

Having spent most of the previous afternoon playing in the stormy weather, Saffyre hadn't bothered coming inside when night fell, and instead fell asleep in the little playhouse she'd built in a tree. She was delighted when she awakened to find that it was still raining, and took no time at all in splashing into the puddles once more. Until her stomach reminded her that she had also neglected to get any supper, nor breakfast yet. This was what brought her inside at last, dripping mud and water alike. A little breathless from all of her playing, Saffyre came squelching into the house, through the parlor, and right to the larder where her goal awaited. Some bread perhaps, with cheese and-

"What do you think you're doing!?" The words were nearly shrieked from across the room. "DON'T TAKE ANOTHER STEP!" Saffyre paused, glanced over to where her grandmother stood, horrified at the sight of all the mud she'd tracked in, and then rolled her eyes, smirked, and proceeded onward as if she'd heard no such order. Let her yell, she wasn't going to do anymore than that. She never did. "Just getting something to eat." She assured the woman, like it was no big deal. "I'll go back outside as soon as I'm done."

"Look at all this mess!" Glauriel wailed, distraught and horrified. "Look what you've done! My parlor! You horrible child, get out of here!" She turned her angry glare onto Saffyre, who was quite unconcerned as she helped herself to whatever she liked. "Ohh! This mess! You know better than this!" She yelled. Saffyre paid no attention and took a bite of her sandwich, a few crumbs falling which she didn't even try to catch. " You go outside, right this instant!" Lady Lothebor demanded, furiously grabbing a mop. "Ugh, just look at this! Where is that cleaning woman?" She grumbled. "She ought to have been here by now!"

Saffyre stepped back to let her grandmother begin mopping up her mess, tilting her head to the side. "She probably isn't coming today. Last time she came when it rained, you yelled at her, remember? Told her she ought not to have come?"
"I didn't ask you!" Grandma snapped. "Why are you still here? Didn't I tell you to get out?"
Saffyre raised her hands in a gesture of 'seriously?'. "You literally just asked..." She pointed out. "If you weren't asking me, who were you asking? The mud?"
"I'll have none of your backtalk!" The grouchy old woman retorted. "I thought I told you to get out of here! You're dripping all over the place..get OUT!"

Saffyre glared, and considered refusing, but then scoffed. "Fine." She didn't want to stay around her grandmother anyway. She despised the woman, and the feeling was mutual. To the public eye, Lady Lothebor was a sweet and wonderful woman who adored her granddaughter. Whatever she act she had to put on to look good for the public. But when no one else was around, the act was dropped like a hot potato. Saffyre was more than happy to leave her presence, and shrugged as she turned to retrace her steps back outside.
"I don't know what I ever did to get stuck with having to raise such a little brat," She heard her grandma grumbling as she got to work cleaning up the puddle Saffyre had left. "I shouldn't have to do this! Where is that woman? If she hasn't got here in the next hour, she'll be looking for another job, that's for sure!" Glauriel had quite a habit of grumbling under her breath, though it wasn't always 'under' her breath.

Saffyre paused, scowling back toward her grandmother as she heard that last comment, and then slammed the door on her way outside again. Leaping off the porch into the nearest puddle, she watched with satisfaction as muddy water splashed in every direction. That made her feel a bit better, especially seeing it got onto her grandmother's roses, growing next to the steps. That made her smile a little, but then frowned, thinking about that last comment. That wasn't fair to the cleaning lady, and she knew the woman was kind of poor, and had a family, and needed the money. Taking another bite of her sandwich, Saffyre decided she wouldn't be missed even if she was gone for three days or more. So with nothing else to do, the girl set off toward the poorer side of town, purposely hopping into every puddle along the way. She had some idea of where the housekeeper lived, and hoped maybe she could help keep the woman from getting fired from the Ogre she called Grandma.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

They headed out to the forge and Iuldir struggled but got his main tasks finished which was lighting the forge itself. And then the work began the two of them working on parts of the frame itself so that they could get it done as quickly as possible since Fuin knew full well that Afarfin would be there soon and there was still a lot of work to be done.

Fuin for her part was working on making it so that the axel could be attached to the frame while Cali worked on the frame itself Once the axel was ready she started in on the y frames that would allow the front wheels to pivot nicely the y frames and the axel harness she were put into the forge and she started prepping the ends for welding to the frame itself that was just getting finished. Iuldir for his part was slow but did manage to get more coals added to the pile now that they were welding and would need to get the metal hotter than they had gotten anything yet, it all had to get white hot once it was almost there Fuin had found the sodium borate and sprinkled it on the sections that would be getting welded together.

"Alright Cali this is going to be... interesting and fun." She said as they got ready to put the chair all together. Once they got the frame fully built they just needed to install the wheels and then sew the seat both things that Fuin knew Cali and Iuldir would be able to do on their own. The welding of the frame would be too unwieldy for Cali and the child to manage on their own.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

Ivornith and Saffyre Stone

Ivornith listened to the steady various dripping sounds around the house as she worked on sewing a patch on some trousers for Iuldir, inwardly sighing as she wished she could get the roof fixed. Rissy was so little, she didn't even know it wasn't normal for a house to leak like this, she thought sadly. As she knotted the end of her seam, Ivornith wondered how much it would cost to get it fixed.. to pay someone. But she knew already it was beyond what she could afford. If Cali and Iuldir were to start working the forge, and getting paying customers, then perhaps their fortune might change, but from the talk she'd had with Cali last night, it seemed her sister-in-law was rather reluctant to make it well known just yet, being so uncertain about how well-received she would be, if people found out about her being the smith of the forge.

As she was selecting a fabric scrap to add another patch on, she was surprised to hear a knock at the door. She paused, then recalled Fuin having mentioned expecting her husband to arrive today. Was he already here? She hurriedly set her sewing aside, telling Rissy to stay there as she went to the door. To her surprise, it was not an elven lord standing upon her doorstep, but a disheveled, drenched child. It took her a few seconds to recognize the girl. "Goodness, what happened to you?" Ivornith exclaimed, ushering Saffyre inside.

"Nothing," The girl looked a little confused, then looked down and realized. "Oh. I was just playing in the puddles." She explained. Standing on the mat, she glanced around, blinking at all the buckets catching leaks.
"What brings you here?" Ivornith wondered. "Saffyre, you're drenched. Would you like a towel?"
"No, I'm alright. The rain is fun." Saffyre smiled, then hesitated. "Um... I thought you ought to know that Grandma is quite upset that you didn't come today." She said, rolling her eyes.
"Oh no!" Ivornith frowned. "I thought for sure she wouldn't want me to, after last time..."
"Yeah, I know. You'd think so, but..." Saffyre sighed. "Anyway. You probably oughta hurry and get there as quick as you can, she's...pretty angry." She told Ivornith apologetically.

"Yes, of course, that's fine." Ivornith replied with a sigh as she went to grab her cloak, a bit disappointed as well as worried. The woman had a good amount of wealth and power, and could potentially make it difficult for her to get any job around here, if she so chose. "You run along home and tell her I'll be there as soon as I can, alright?"
"Um.. I'm not going back there right now." Saffyre said. "I've.. got a few things to do. Just.. I'd get there as quick as possible, if I was you. But just so you know, it's awfully muddy out there."

"I can tell from looking at you," Ivornith replied with a small smile, hurriedly gathering her things. She put on her cloak to keep the rain off, and then sighed. "Rissy, we'll just have to get Cali to watch you today, I'm sorry sweetie."
"Sorry to bring the bad news." Saffyre added, feeling a bit bad, but... she figured it wouldn't be fair to Ivornith to not even know the ogre was expecting her, after all.
"No, you have no reason to be sorry." Ivornith assured her. "Thank you, for coming all this way to let me know." She took Rissy's hand and ushered them all out, then hurried through the rain to the barn to leave her with Cali, assuming Saffyre would go on to whatever other errands she had to do.

Calithildis (Cali) and Iuldir

They were making very nice progress, and Cali was feeling quite pleased with how quickly the work was getting done, despite Iuldir having difficulty with his arms. She might have laughed if it weren't for the fact she knew just how miserable that could be. Instead, she felt a bit of sympathy for him every time he winced. But the chair's frame was taking shape very nicely, and soon it was almost time to begin welding pieces together. She was preparing to help Fuin get the chair put together when Ivornith and Rissy ran in. Cali paused, confused for a second, as it didn't seem like lunch time, and further puzzled as Ivornith looked ready to be heading off somewhere. The explanation soon came.

"I'm sorry, I've just found out I do have to go to work today," Ivornith explained swiftly. "I'll have to leave Rissy with you, Cali.. I hope you don't mind?"
"Yes, of course." Cali nodded.
"I'm terribly sorry to leave so suddenly." Ivornith added to Fuin. "I have to go, or I may not have this job anymore... I'll try and be back as soon as I possibly can." With that she quickly kissed Rissy, waved to Iuldir, and then hurried out, trying to keep her cloak closed around her to keep as dry as possible.
"Well." Cali sighed softly, upset for Ivornith's sake more than anything. "Seems like she can never make up her mind what she wants, that woman... poor Ivornith." She led Rissy over to sit on the bench. "You stay here out of the way and watch quietly, alright?"

"Why's she gotta be like that?" Iuldir frowned, annoyed that his mother had to rush through the rain just because that rich woman said so. "Why couldn't she just let mother stay home out of the rain?"

"Cause, she's an Ogre." Saffyre spoke up from the doorway. "At least, that's what I call her." She added, stepping the rest of the way inside. Having watched Ivornith bring Rissy here, she had become quite curious what might be in there, and so ventured forward once she left, and peeked in. Overhearing them discussing her grandmother (who else could they be talking about, after all?) the girl couldn't help but speak up. Now, even more curious, she stepped inside and looked around. "What is all this?" She wondered, wide-eyed. "What's that?" She pointed to the thing they seemed to be making, not really noticing how alarmed Cali and Iuldir looked at her invasion into the barn. Then, noticing that the other person in there had pointed ears, her eyes got even bigger. "Are you an elf?" She asked in amazement, not even considering the fact she may have trespassed into an off-limits area.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin blinked confused why she was being apologized to. "It's alright swiftly as wings of eagles away with you." She said with a wave hoping that she made it to where she needed to go in time. Rissy had behaved for a day and a half of work already another half day would hardly cause issues as far as she was concerned. Fuin frowned she didn't like the sounds of this woman and was going to explain that some people were not considerate of others at all, when a new voice broke her train of thought and she turned and looked. The voice was not wrong, an ogre was a good example of what the woman was.

The issue was this voice was... new. All of them were staring at the red headed mud ridden girl who was in the blacksmithing barn looking at what was happening. Fuin glanced at Cali and Iuldir both of which were absolutely alarmed at the intrusion and she wasn't sure who this girl was though she seemed to at least know who Ivornith was in that she knew the person that they had been talking about. Fortunately the girl presented an opening for Fuin to keep the girl here long enough that Cali could figure out what she wanted to do.

"Yes I'm an elf. And that is a project that I am working on." She said calmly taking full credit for the chair for the moment, worse came to worse they could sell that Cali and Iuldir were both helping her rather than she was helping them after all why wouldn't an elf be in charge of something? Hopefully Cali would figure out what she wanted to do with this since it seemed like her secret was getting less and less of a secret one person at a time.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

Calithildis (Cali) and Iuldir with Saffyre

"You're not supposed to be here." Iuldir frowned at the girl.
She turned back to him, frowning a little back at him. "Why not?" She wondered, puzzled.
"You're...trespassing! And I bet it's your fault Mother had to leave." He added, scowling a little bit.
"My fault?! If I hadn't come and told her, Grandma was going to fire her. Without any warning!" Saffyre frowned. "It's not my fault grandma's an ogre."

"Iuldir," Cali spoke up, recovering. "Don't blame her for things beyond her control." She turned to the girl, semi-recognizing her once she said that about her grandma. "You really shouldn't barge into places on someone else's property." She tried to be calm, but wondered how much she'd seen.
"But the door was open, kind of." Saffyre pointed out, then looked back at the elf, and back at them. "Is there something secrety going on?" She wondered, curious. "Can I know? Please? I wouldn't tell anyone. I've got no one to tell, anyway."

"No." Iuldir scowled, and would have crossed his arms if they hadn't hurt so bad. "You're not even allowed to talk to me, remember? Your grandmother said so."
Saffyre scoffed. "I never do what she says, and she can't do anything about it. I'll talk to whoever I want to talk to, and play with whoever I want. She can go kiss an orc for all I care." She folded her arms defiantly.

Cali struggled not to laugh at that, trying very hard to be a grown-up in this situation. "You..um. Probably ought to be a bit more...uh, respectful of your grandmother, you know.." She pointed out, with some difficulty. To which Saffyre looked at her as if she'd just suggested she wander into Mordor for a picnic and games.
"Respectful?" She spoke as if this were a foreign word, shaking her head a little, deciding not to comment on that, and instead looked back at Fuin with great curiosity. "What are you making?" She asked, as if Iuldir had not said no to her earlier question. "Can I help?"

"Miss..uh.." Cali realized she didn't actually know the girl's name, though she knew who she was. "This really isn't a play area, it can be quite dangerous here if you don't know what you're doing."
"But you let her be here." Saffyre pointed to Rissy, not really sure why the five-year-old could be in here if she couldn't. "And I'm Fyre." She added.
"Help? We didn't even tell you you could stay." Iuldir pointed out, rolling his eyes. He looked at Cali, unsure what they ought to do.
"Fire?" Cali repeated, a little surprised at such a name. She sighed softly, thinking. The main part of the work was finished, and she supposed the rest wouldn't really reveal anything truly secret... she'd only be acting as an aid to a smith. She'd done things like that with her father, but he wouldn't have counted her as a smith just for holding something for him. So her secret ought to be safe enough, but Iuldir's...

"This is a secret project, Fyre," Iuldir sighed, as if thinking of just the same thing as Cali.
"I won't tell anyone!" Fyre insisted. "Please let me help? No one ever lets me do anything."
"Sure you won't, until you get home and your grandma demands to know where you were." Iuldir frowned.
"She wouldn't ask that. She never does." Saffyre rolled her eyes.
"Iuldir, you aren't really being fair," Cali mentioned quietly. "It's only a surprise for.. your friend. As long as she keeps quiet about it, is it really a problem for her to know about it?"

Iuldir paused, thinking on that a moment. "Well, I guess not..."
"Then I can stay?" Saffyre asked hopefully.
"So long as you promise not to tell anyone at all about anything you see here." Iuldir said. "And if Aunt Cali's alright with it." He added.
"I promise!" Saffyre said eagerly.

"Well, I suppose it's better to let her in on it, rather than sending her away upset," Cali nodded a little, a bit reminded of herself as a child, when the boys used to try and prohibit her and Iole from doing things they thought were for 'boys only'. She smiled slightly. "I'm Cali by the way, and this is our friend Fuin, a grandmaster smith from Imladris." She paused, then added, "She is teaching Iuldir some things."
Saffyre's eyes widened. "Wow, grandmaster?" She looked quite impressed as that sounded like a very big title. "That sounds really important. I'm Fyre," She paused, not having any sort of title to give. "but I'm just a girl, no one important."
"You're Lady Lothebor's granddaughter," Cali mentioned, as that was something worthy of mention.
"I'd rather be nobody, than that." Saffyre made a face. "So can I help with..whatever it is?" She asked, turning back to Fuin.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin sat with her arms crossed looking at the girl and Cali and Iuldir as they argued about her being there and about respecting this womans grandmother. Fuin wasn't convinced about Cali's argument about respecting her grandmother and then the girl turned to her. She held off answering though, as Iuldir and Cali continued to talk with the young woman.

Arguing on if she would say anything and then Cali introduced her the Grandmaster of Imladris.

"Yes Grandmaster, I run the elven forges of the West." Fuin said calmly as Fyre reintroduced herself and stated that she was no one important, Cali seemed to know who she was a Lady's grandaughter something that Fyre seemed to think was worth more not being mentioned than being mentioned. She wasn't keen on having extra bodies nearby while they were welding, it was the most dangerous part, and she had been happy that Rissy was not there.

"You know full well the reason Rissy is here is because her mom had to leave with almost no notice - you followed her here, though I think we do owe you some thanks for that which is why I won't say you must leave." Fuin said her arms uncrossing. "And yes I am the Grandmaster of the Elven forges of Imladris, and no you cannot help directly." Fuin said calmly. "I've worked with them for two days to make sure they would be safe for this next step, you looking at you and hearing you asking don't know how to be safe in a forge, though you can help us by keeping Rissy away from us and keep an eye out for any slag that keeps smoldering." Fuin said calmly motioning for Fyre to go and take care of Rissy and make sure she was as far away from them as possible.

"Lets get these piece back in the forge for a few minutes, we've lost too much heat to weld properly." Fuin put the parts back in the forge they pieces were still red hot but that was not hot enough for a weld they would simply deform and stay separate which is not what they needed. This was going to be so much harder with pretending Cali is not a full smith but she would still be able to hold tongs well enough. Several minutes later the parts were ready to come out of the forge.

"Alright the pieces are hot enough, Cali you're going to be in charge of holding the pieces in place over the anvil I'm going to do the strikes like we practiced understood?" Fuin said calmly as if she was teaching a beginner Apprentice. "Iuldir your going to be making sure the pieces are lined up from your angle then back away and watch for hot slag that might catch the barn on fire if it's not dealt with." Fuin said calmly.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

Saffyre nodded, a bit disappointed she couldn't help with what they were making, but cheered up that she could help by playing with the little kid. "Alright." She agreed, pleased to have something to do, at least, that could be helpful. "Come on Rissy, we can play outside," she suggested.
Cali frowned. "No, you will not. Not with Rissy, anyway. It's raining out there."
Saffyre paused, a bit confused by this, but shrugged. "So?"
"So, I don't want her catching cold or anything."
Fyre was puzzled, but shrugged. "Alright. We'll stay in here then." She led Rissy further away from where they were working. Then, as Rissy asked if she wanted to see the kitties, Fyre grinned. "Sure, let's go see them." Rissy informed her they had to go up to the loft, and that she couldn't climb by herself, so Fyre got her to hang onto her back, piggyback style, and climbed up with her.

Cali sighed softly, then turned back to Fuin with a little shrug. "Yes, I'm ready." She answered, playing along as she got the tongs to hold the pieces while Fuin did the hammering. "Make sure you're paying attention, Iuldir." she reminded her nephew.
"I am." he made sure he had a bucket of water on hand, moving around to make sure the pieces were going together straight and everything. A few times, he spotted a piece of slag fall, and quickly poured a bit of water on it until it wasn't still a danger. Cali noted, with a bit of pride, that he had remembered what she'd told him some time ago about how to deal with slag, and went about it the proper way. Before too long, with Fuin working and Cali holding the pieces securely for her, the welding part was complete and she stepped back as she laid the tongs down, looking over their work. "It looks very nice." She commented, pleased with the result of their hard work. Now, all that was left was to make the leather seat, if she wasn't wrong.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin watched as Fyre headed upstairs with Rissy to go and see the kittens that were up there. Fuin turned to Cali and shrugged as well, this would at least be enough to keep Cali's secret for the most part. With that they began the task of welding the pieces together. Each one took several hard strikes the metal mashing together permanently one piece at a time. Several larger pieces of slag flew off and Iuldir quickly poured water on them.

As the last weld was finished Fuin leaned back as well and nodded she took the bucket from Iuldir and poured the water onto the welds to cool them enough so that they would harden up. The hiss of water and steam filled the barn and all that was left was the leather seat. "Well Cali, it looks like we are just about done, I'm sure Afarfin will be here soon enough I think though that if he gets here sooner than later you'll be able to do the sewing of the seat easily enough." Fuin said with a smile putting the hammer away. The chair was an excellent mix of heavy and light - heavy enough to take a fair amount of abuse, light enough that children would be able to push it around with ease for a long time.

"Excellent work Iuldir with the slag." She said calmly and locked the forge and began spreading the coals so that they would cool off and stop burning.

Afarfin
Present Day

He was cursing his wife as he sat with the nurse from the House of Healing on this horse cart heading to get her. She'd ran off, he wasn't entirely sure why she had been making so much progress but perhaps she had gotten to something that had been to uncomfortable for her to face quite yet? She had a tendency to run instead of dealing with her problems, she did enough stuff that she didn't have time to deal with any problems she had. He realized that fairly quickly after reuniting with her. Mylien and Ruindil had told him that she could disappear for months at a time and then come back as if nothing had happened, and they had been fine with it mostly because they didn't know how to help her do anything different than that. He had some inkling though, he could see her spirit he could see when that darkness decided to grow. She was self medicating somehow but with what? Perhaps they'd find out now, it was hard to tell, he'd seen her before at the house near Dol Amroth and she'd seen him. She hadn't run from what he could tell, but it had been raining for over a day now and it was hard to see the house so he wasn't sure if she was still there or not.

He was soaked the nurse was soaked and the horse was soaked and it's head was down trudging through the mud it was hard to tell where the sun was it was just grey, with no breaks in the clouds but he could hear the crashing of the ocean as they got nearer and nearer to the shore even if they were still far enough away that the nurse couldn't through the driving rain it was there faintly to him. All he could do was hope that Fuin was still there at the little house and if she wasn't he was going to stop there for the night so that he didn't have to spend another night out in the rain with the nurse tucked under the cart to keep the rain off of her on a hill top with a blanket while he and the horse commiserated in the downpour.

Balrog
Image Image Image
The Swashbuckler
Minas Brethil, the Anfalas

(Private)

For Katla, home was a small cottage on the backside of the bakery where her mother worked. It was cramp, perpetually covered in a thin layer of flour, and smelled of a dozen different herbs. This was where the crime lord of Minas Brethil lived (or at least the future crime lord). None of her underlings knew where she lived, most of them believing that she lived in the upper districts. She did not dissuade these notions, but she did not encourage them either. She wanted a layer of protection for herself and her mother should things go wrong. Despite the place being cramped and small and uncomfortable, Katla loved it. It was hers. She didn’t her own room, but she did have her own bed. There was a hole in the roof right above her bed, through that hole she was able to watch the stars wheel about. Pirates navigated by the stars, she was determined to know all the stars by heart. She watched them each night, mumbling their names and positions over and over and over until she fell asleep. Tonight, though, was going to be different.

Katla! There you are! I was wondering if I needed to send Old Mr. Sarnath after you.” Her mother looked tired, but her smiled was genuine and relaxed, Mr. Sarnath was the baker she worked for, the man that allowed them to rent the small storage shed in which they lived.

“I’m sorry mother. I was watching the ships come in and lost track of time.”

They embraced, Katla still about a foot shorter than her mother. They shared bright emerald-green eyes and pale golden hair. Katla, though, would be much taller than her mother, something about her father being a very tall man. Where her mother was waifishly thin, Katla had the makings of a warrior woman. She was an only child, her mother said that she was her one gift.

“Did you find any ships you liked?” Her mother went back to the stove, where some soft of stew was bubbling and troubling away over a low fire.

“Oh yes!” Katla said, eyes glittering. She went to the other side of the room and sat on her bed. “I saw the Queen Berúthiel’s Revenge come in!”

“Oh?” Her mother stopped stirring and cast a heavy look on her daughter. “And, young lady, how do you know about that ship?”

Katla blinked in surprise. “I… uh… I just… I saw one day… and… and…”

“It was Rusgion, wasn’t’ it? I swear on the green waves…” Her mother smacked the side of the cast iron pot. It clanged loudly.

It had been Rusgion that had told her about the ship in the first place. Rusgion, the old half blind man that wandered around the docks telling stories about his supposed glory days. Katla knew at least half of his stories had to be false, he claimed he was the cabin boy of the Saltmarsh King, a pirate that had died over a hundred years ago, but they were still all amazing. She would ply him with raw whisky and crackers, supplies appropriated from the local grocers, and make him tell her stories of the golden age. The Corsairs of Umbar, he’d said, once ruled all the seas south of the Anduin, and could sail up the great river with utter impunity. Those days were gone with the crackdown from the Stewards and the rebuilding of Pelargir and Dol Amroth’s navies. They were driven back to their city, licking their wounds, and waiting for a new chance to rise. Katla was sure, when the time came, she would be ready, commanding a fleet of ships of her own. Rusgion thought she was hilarious with her tales of all the deeds she would do. She had no particular dislike of Gondor, her erstwhile home, or of the Stewards in far away Minas Tirith. She just didn’t like the rules they set, the laws telling her what she could and couldn’t do. She loved the freedom the pirates and corsairs and raiders represented. As far as all the tales of violence, death, and destruction, well omelets and eggs and all that. Katla was not averse to a little violence herself.

“No,” she lied. “I just… saw it coming in one day and…”

“And that’s the ship you want to ‘prentice on?” her mother finished. Her face was still frowning but her eyes had softened.

“How did…?” Katla felt her cheeks turning red.

“I found your notebook under your bed when I was cleaning this morning.”

Katla wanted to crawl into a hole. “I… you read my notebook!? That’s my…”

Katla!” her mother clanged on the pot again. The sound rang dully through the tiny room.

There was a long silence. Only the sound of bubbling stew and the distant waves made any sound. “I’ve known you wanted to go to see for some time.” Her mother finally said, sighing heavily. “You were born for it, I’m afraid. I tried to keep you focused on land as long as I could. Surprised I even made it seven years.” Her smile was sad and distant.

Katla’s angry expression softened. She wanted to be angry at her mother for invading her private thoughts, but she couldn’t stay mad, not when her mother made that face. “I think it would a great opportunity,” she tried to sound positive and upbeat, as if she wasn’t asking her mother if she could join the crew of an infamous pirate ship.

“The Queen Berúthiel’s Revenge? Of all the ships that pass through Minas Brethil, that’s the one you want? Why not the Grand Conjuration? Or the Envy?”

Katla’s eyebrow shot up. How did her mother know anything about pirate ships? Especially those? “What do you know about those ship?” she asked slowly, her eyes searching her mother’s face.

Her mother broke into a nervous laugh. “Oh, well I’ve been around the block, young lady. I wasn’t always a baker’s assistant. I know more than you think I do.” She gave her daughter a meaningful look. What did that mean? Katla was more confused than ever.

“I think,” she said after a moment, trying to sound as resolute as possible, “I think that I would learn the most about sailing and the sea from Captain Tiam’at.”

“You’ll learn something alright,” muttered her mother, just within her hearing. “We’ll talk about this tomorrow though. It’s time for dinner now and I’m not in the mood to talk about pirates over stew tonight. So tell me, what else did you do today? I heard a rumor there was a…”

--- * --- * --- * ---

She watched him leave her ship from the window in her cabin. She smirked and touched the corner of her lip with a sharpened nail, there was a little blood on it from where she’d scratched him. He was walking a little lopsided, favoring his left side, if that was from the amount of rum they drank or from the other activities they’d engaged in she wasn’t sure. She assumed it was the latter, of course. She had a reputation to maintain after all. She adjusted herself and strode back over to her desk, her earrings jingling. It was lit by a single, dying candle. The desk was a mess of maps, inventory lists (real and forged), and charts. There was a method to the disorder and chaos. She sat on the overstuffed seat, adjusting herself once more before she felt comfortable. She was going to need to get some more candles. She tied her hair back into a high ponytail and looked at a single piece of parchment, worn with age and dripping with ominous red ink.

There was a lot of things she was running out of these days. It was getting harder and harder for a pirate captain to make a living. She’d had to dump half her cargo on this last run when three dromons bearing the sigil of the swan appeared on the horizon. She’d managed to outrun them and hide, but only just. The waters were getting smaller these days. There were fewer and fewer places outside Umbar that she could make port in. Minas Brethil was a close as she dared to get to Pelargir or Dol Amroth. The cargo she’d managed to salvage wasn’t going to be enough to get her very far. She was going to have to take a job from one of the fisher kings here. That thought rankled her. She’d fought tooth and nail to get out from under their grasp. She built her reputation, her ship’s reputation, all for nothing. The Ironmonger was going to find this all very funny. She spat. She remembered the last time they’d had an encounter. She still felt like the stink of his breath clung to her skin. There were others she could go to. The Lantern Maker? The Bard? The Antiquarian? The Barrister? Sadly, the Ironmonger paid the best and she was in a bind.

Suddenly, Captain Tiam’at realized she wasn’t alone. How long had that shadow been there? She squinted and placed a hand on the hilt of her cutlass. There was something by the window, on the outside. Whatever, whoever, it was, they’d climbed up from the water and skittered like a monkey across a nearly horizontal beam then up, avoiding being seen through the stained-glass windows. There was a pane open on the far end of the wall, just large enough for someone small to have crawled in.

“Well?” She asked. “Are you going to introduce yourself before or after you try and steal that compass?” She noticed when she sat down that her compass, a tool normally hanging from her belt when she was on duty, was missing from it’s customary place. “The Constabulary doesn’t take too well to thieves. Nor do I. We each take a hand.”

The shadow stirred. A small, blonde girl appeared just within the glow of her candlelight. Tiam’at coughed in surprise. “Well, well, well. Does Narrien know her daughter snuck aboard my ship? I expected you a few years from now. Katla, right?”
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

From the loft, Fyre petted the kitties and watched them working down below, wondering what they were making. Why would anyone need what looked like a chair with wheels attached? Maybe it was some sort of fun new game Iuldir was going to play with his friends. He probably wouldn't let her play, though. She sighed, wishing he'd let her in on the secret, and turned back to try and pay attention to the little kid, nodding along to whatever she was saying. She tried to cuddle the kittens but they didn't like her wet clothes, and squirmed free of her very quickly, which made Rissy giggle and entertained her, so she wanted her to do it again and again. Fyre was rather bored of this 'game' and wanted to go back outside. It was a bit hot in here, with all the heat generated by the forge, and she wanted to cool off in the rain. But she'd agreed to babysit and they didn't want to let Rissy play outside, which she didn't really understand but also figured she'd better not go against, or they might say she couldn't stay.

Cali was a bit relieved once all the welding was done. It was dangerous and she worried about Iuldir getting hurt, especially about what she'd tell Ivornith if that happened. But he was fine, and now the rest would be easy to do. She'd take a bit of time to think on how it would be best to make the seat, since they could work on that later. They could rest and let their arms recover from all the hard work, and get back to it later. "Thank you so much for all of your help, Fuin." She smiled, then with a brief glance upward, figuring the girl could probably still hear them, added, "I hope I was helpful enough. And yes, Iuldir, you did very well. I'm glad to see you were paying attention." She smiled at her nephew. "Shall we break for lunch now?" she paused, remembering. "I might ought to check on those buckets, actually. I'll get us something to eat, and the rest of you can come over to the house when you're ready." She put away her apron and gloves and things, then hurried off to the house.

Iuldir put the bucket away. "Is it done now? Except for the seat?" He wondered, excited. "It looks wonderful!" He wished it had a seat, so he could test it out and make sure it would feel comfortable enough for Caeleb. "Are you sure your husband will be able to convince his father to let him have it?" He frowned, unsure, as the man had seemed awfully stubborn when it came to Caeleb. He filled the washbasin with water and then stood back to let Fuin wash up first, remembering 'ladies first'. "Hey, Fyre, you can bring Rissy down now." He called, remembering they would need to bring his sister along to the house.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Young Mylien (8 years old)
Third Age Dol Amroth
Open

Captain Surindil was at sea he'd taught her how to slip around on ships quietly and areas of ships to try to keep her safe even if her primary task for him was to keep an eye on the docks and the navy for the pirates and let them know of any merchants that were sailing out or expected in when they returned. He kept her well enough paid that she was able to keep herself in a room in a small boarding house though it was small and cramped but she was less worried about that and about food she did get to enjoy her food.

Today she was taking a look at the flag ship, the Commander of it - Vacryn - was mean, she figured out that this was the same man that had been in charge of the ship that she had first snuck onto years ago now she knew she had to be extra careful when dealing with this ship. It was getting ready to go out, so she needed to know where it was going to be going and how long.

She was having a hard time finding out where they were going or how long they were going to be out. She knew it was going to be for a while and that they would be heading out but that was the most she had managed to find out which was strange that she couldn't get even a direction as to where they were heading. That was something she knew the Captain would want to know. She knew very well that the only way she was going to find out where they were going was to get onto that ship and listen to them on the ship, they were being far to secretive on the docks themselves. She could tell from how they were stocking the ship that they wouldn't be out yet for another day or so - which meant she should be able to hide in the hold and listen to them and find out what was happening as they would never think that they were being spied on in the hold of the Navys flag ship.

She would wait until it was dark she'd had plenty of practice getting on and off the Navy ships now, Surindil made her practice sneaking onto his ship with the entire crew watching for her to make sure she would be safe if she needed to sneak onto a ship. And then on other pirate ships and merchants and finally the smaller navy ships, she'd snuck back on Vacryn's ship a few times over the last year to make sure Surindil had as much information as she could get - he'd never been happy about that and told her she was pressing her luck. He told her she didn't need to press her luck with Vacryn that he was dangerous and cruel and wouldn't take any pity on her because she was a girl or poor or even a Gondorian. He'd just see an enemy and a spy.

That night she slipped onto the ship and hid in the hold she knew in the morning tide would be going out and that the last preperations for sailing would be done so she figured she'd likely have to jump off the side of the ship to escape as it was sailing out with the tide, it'd be a bit of a hard swim but they wouldn't stop their sailing out to catch a stowaway that jumped ship when they were leaving harbor. She pressed herself in between the hull and a barrel of apples in the galley and waited quietly and patiently for sailors to finish loading the stores knowing a lot of sailors liked to talk to the cook about what was going on and where they would be getting more stores on their journey.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin nodded. "You were a spectacular help." Fuin said catching the glance upward, "As was my apprentice Iuldir, he paid excellent attention." She said as Cali said she would go and check on the buckets and get lunch started. Fuin and Iuldir for their part took their time putting everything away, more because Iuldirs arms were still sore and stiff.

"Yes I'm certain my husband will be able to convince Caelebs father to let him have the chair." Fuin said with a smile, "After all I've never met a Gondorian noble that wasn't easily swayed by a proper elven lord, though I do hope he's worn or packed something nice." Fuin said with a chuckle as she hung up the apron as they finished shutting down the forge. "Knowing him he'll have something nice with him in case I've stayed with a noble or someone like that. I know he's ever hopeful that I'll become a proper lady to match his Lordship." Fuin said with a chuckle. She climbed up to the loft and looked at Rissy and Fyre.

"Come on you two it's time for lunch we're taking a break for a bit" She finished climbing into the loft so that she could get Rissy to stop trying to bring the kittens into the house - saying that they wouldn't like being outside in the rain at all. She carried the young girl down the stairs and they headed to the house itself, it was still raining heavily and Fuin had no doubt that the buckets would be needing emptying again from when they'd woken up.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

As soon as she arrived inside, Cali hurried around, emptying the fullest buckets. A couple of them were already starting to overflow, and she sighed with frustration as she hurried to dump them outside before putting the bucket back in its place. The rest were lesser leaks, only dripping a little bit, while others were steady streams coming in. Once she'd checked all the buckets to empty those that needed emptying, she spent a few moments mopping up the excess water, wishing it'd stop raining already. She was just getting started on trying to decide what to make for their lunch by the time Fuin came in with Rissy. "This is such a mess.. I wish I knew how to fix a roof." She sighed, looking up in despair at one of the stream-like leaks. "If it was metal, I could, but.. that'd take an awful lot of metal." She shrugged, sighing.

Saffyre followed them down the ladder much more slowly, and once they got outside, she stopped, preferring to stand in the downpour. She watched them hurry inside, wondering why everyone disliked the rain so much, and sighed as she leaned against the outside wall of the barn, thinking about how unfair everything was.

Iuldir took his time washing up, as his arms were still very stiff and sore. That was another reason why he let Fuin wash up first, because he knew he would be taking a little while. When he finally finished up, he headed for the door, figuring everyone else had gone ahead, so he was surprised to see Saffyre still hanging around, just outside. In the rain. He stopped in the doorway, confused. "What are you doing?"
She glanced at him, rainwater pouring all down her hair and face. "Cooling off. It's hot in there." She turned back away, looking toward the beach where they could see the waves a little ways off. A gust of wind blew rain in through the partially open door, and Iuldir stepped back, frowning. "But you're all wet, and.." He paused, frowning. "Are you crying?"

"No." She scowled, folding her arms and keeping turned away from him.
Iuldir paused, but felt sure he wasn't mistaken. "Alright.. well, why are you.. "not" crying, then?" He didn't know her too well, since she never mingled with 'lesser' folks. Meaning children of poor families, of course. He'd always figured she thought she was better than them, but after something she'd said earlier, he thought maybe it was her grandmother who had that opinion, not her.
"Nothing," Fyre sighed. "It's just the rain."
"The rain is making you sniffle?" Iuldir was skeptical, frowning. "What's wrong?"

Fyre frowned, watching the rain pound into a puddle. "It's just so..unfair. All of it." She finally admitted, figuring he wouldn't understand, but since he insisted on asking, she might as well tell him.
"What's unfair?" Iuldir wondered if he'd missed something. "Come back in here, will you?"
Sighing, Saffyre stepped back in, wiping the water (and tears) from her face. "Everything. Your mother... she works so hard, and I know she puts up with a lot from my grandmother, but she puts up with it anyway, because of you and your sister, and.. I guess she'll do anything for you. And that ogre is the worst person in the world to have to work for. And I'm sorry I made a mess that she's got to clean up now, and maybe she wouldn't have had to come to work if I hadn't, and I'm really sorry." Saffyre stared down at the floor.

Iuldir tilted his head, confused. "Shouldn't I be more upset about that than you? It's my mother.."
Fyre sighed, frustrated. "It's not that exactly. It's just.. I don't know. My grandma doesn't care anything about me, and... it just isn't fair, but.. I just don't know how to explain it."
Thinking about that, Iuldir frowned. "I'm sure she does, you're her granddaughter after all."
Fyre scoffed. "She hates me, Iuldir. She truly hates me, and she makes sure to let me know it all the time. And I hate her. If I wasn't her granddaughter, she wouldn't... actually, if it wasn't for appearances, she wouldn't have let me live there even for a few days. I wish I could leave, and go far away somewhere."

Sighing, she started back for the door. "Never mind. It doesn't matter, I'm not even supposed to be here. Sorry for intruding earlier."
"Wait. You don't have to go," Iuldir frowned. "We're going to eat lunch, aren't you going to join us? You were helpful, keeping Rissy out of the way. Sometimes she's really hard to keep entertained, that's why we had to put her a place up in the loft where she couldn't get down on her own."
"I thought you didn't want me around." Fyre mentioned, a little confused.
"Well, I.. I was just a bit upset earlier. We didn't expect anyone to come in here. It's supposed to be secret and all. But of course you can come eat with us." He paused, thinking. "Maybe I could help you get someplace far away, too?" He suggested, having an idea.
A bit interested, Saffyre listened to him as he whispered his idea. They were both grinning as they hurried across the yard to the house.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin turned back towards the barn realizing Iuldir and Fyre were not right behind her she squinted through the rain and saw them them and heard them talking when Rissy squealed in her ear painfully a large drop of water sliding down her back. The elf winced at the painful shriek and slipped into the house, calling for the two older children to hurry up before she slipped inside not wanting to suffer another squeal like the first. She set Rissy down inside and the little girl took off into the house. Fuin looked outwards from the doorway looking to see if she could see Afarfin in the rain, she thought she could catch glances of a horse and the cart but the rain was so heavy that even her eyes was of little use at that distance.

She shut the door since Iuldir and Fyre were not coming quite yet and they were old enough to open the door themselves. She heard Cali comment on the roof. She knew wooden structures as well, and she knew her husband did to she'd worked hard to build her own home. "There is no way to do it with metal in a way that will be effective for long sadly." Fuin said calmly looking at the roof the worst leaks needed to be tended soon or it would soon start collapsing in places which would make it even worse for the family. "there would be no way to seal the holes in the metal to attach sheets to the beams... and I think that would be horribly loud indeed in the rain." Fuin said moving to take over the mopping so that Cali could work on the meal since she knew what there was for food while Fuin did not.

"My husband is getting close, I am certain I could see his cart even through this rain." She said calmly, trying to think of a way to help this kind family, she was already getting Afarfin to help Caeleb, perhaps she could turn his ear and get him to fix the roof for them. He had helped her finish up the roofs of her own manor in a nicer more permanent manner. She knew he could help here, he'd probably curse her up and down for it and say he didn't trust her to go back to the House of Healing but she hoped he would agree to it, he would she figured she'd make him she'd figure out something even if it made Ivornith tear out her hair at the thought of an elven noble working on fixing her house for her.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

Fyre blinked as she and Iuldir hurried in through the door, expecting the place to be all dry inside, like the barn, but instead found it raining nearly as hard. Except only in certain spots. She looked around, surprised, as she'd never actually seen one leak in her grandmother's roof, since the woman kept a handyman employed full-time, to prevent such things. Seeing Fuin mopping up puddles, she looked down and saw she was creating another one. If it had been her grandmother using the mop, she'd have been pleased to make a big mess. But in this situation.. "I probably should stay here.." She frowned, full-aware of how drenched her clothing was.

Iuldir looked at her, then her puddle. "You shouldn't have stood out in the rain." He told her. "It's alright though, I'll see if Aunt Cali will bring your plate over here." He picked his way around the buckets to get to the kitchen. Cali had assembled a quick meal and was setting plates on the table.
"Can Fyre eat by the door? She's a lot more soaked than she was before, so we thought she better not come in any further." Iuldir told her.
Cali paused. "You might get her a towel?" She suggested. "Actually, let me see about her." She went and led Fyre to another room where she could use one of the buckets and wring out the majority of the water from her clothes, so she'd be just damp rather than dripping wet, then left a towel for her to wrap around herself when she'd finished, telling her to come to the kitchen when she'd finished.

"Don't worry too much about the puddles, Fuin," Cali mentioned as she returned. "I'm sure we'll have a lot more before the day is over, and if we keep this up, we'll have to wring out the mop several times over." She took the mop and set it where it could dry by the small fireplace, noting they'd need to get some firewood to add to it. "Alright, let's eat, then with any luck, we can get that chair finished before your husband arrives." She smiled a little at Fuin. "Fyre will join us once she's gotten a little drier."

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin shook her head as Cali state she need not worry about mopping, that they would just be mopping again. "It's better for your floors to mop up the puddles when we have the buckets empty." Fuin said finishing up the little bit of mopping that she had left before going to eat. "I am not sure we'll get the chair finished by then, he's gotten quite close." She said sitting down and eating the lunch that Cali had made enjoying it glancing at a few of the worst leaks. Perhaps Fyre could help making sure the buckets stayed emptied since she seemed to like it here, having something to do that didn't involve Rissy might be nice for her though she seemed to want to be outside and play in the mud, though she seemed to realize why the family was a bit more careful about getting soaked.

"So with making the seat I think the bottom will be important to have two full layers of leather on it to give it more support, as it's going to be used constantly and get more wear and tear. We can stitch the ends of the leather together and then stitch the sides so that the leather doesn't move and the seam doesn't move to where it would affect Caeleb when he sits on it." She said calmly. "The back could be a single piece with the leather wrapped around to the back of the chair and stitched." Fuin said calmly. She wondered how much leather they had on hand, it seemed like it would be a lot of leather for the family. The metal was also a vast quantity that they'd already put into the project. Perhaps Afarfin would convince Caelebs father to not only accept the chair but to pay for it as well, perhaps Afarfin could say he knew where to get an advanced chair that was even fancier than those at the House of Healing and purchase it for him so that he could bring the money to Ivornith and Cali so that they would not be out the supplies without funds to replace them. "I think I should probably try to talk Afarfin in to convincing the boys father not only to accept the chair but also to pay for it."

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

Cali nodded a bit at the idea of having two layers of leather for the seat, and smiled. "I was thinking on that.. I think it might be nice to weave strips of leather. Then it would also have a little bit more flexibility, as well as being double-layered, and also might not use quite as much leather. I could do the same with the back, so that it looks nice and matches, even if it isn't necessary for it to be as strong as the seat." She mentioned. "I think I should have plenty of strips from where I've m-" She paused, glancing to see if Fyre was nearby, then lowered her voice a little. "made leather armor and trimmed off some of it."

Fyre finally came into the room, damp but no longer dripping wet, with the towel wrapped around her shoulders. She found a seat and glanced around a bit as she ate, looking up at the ceiling at one of the leaks that steadily dripped nearby.

Cali was a bit surprised at the mention of getting Caeleb's father to pay for it. "We didn't intend to ask for any money for it." She mentioned. She paused, aware of Fyre being present now. "It seemed like a good learning experience for Iuldir, and I think he wanted to do it for him, out of friendship. Although," She added, frowning a bit in thought. "I suppose the man might not accept it as a gift... I know how stupidly stubborn men can be; he may reject it if he thinks it's 'charity' though why that should be something to reject, I don't know." She sighed. "I suppose..whatever is necessary to get him to take it..."

"Is it for some sort of game?" Fyre asked, curious. "It looks like fun. A chair with wheels, I bet you're going to make a few more, and race them down the street or something." She grinned, wondering if she could join in on that fun.
Iuldir rolled his eyes. "No, of course not." Not that they might not do something of the kind, eventually.. "It's for my friend who can't walk. But you can't tell anyone, it's a secret. Anyone, alright?"
Fyre looked at him, a little surprised to think of someone not being able to walk. "Alright. I won't tell anyone. I promise."

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin nodded Cali's suggestion was excellent with the weaving and it would take less leather, she wasn't sure if it would give more flexibility but it certainly wouldn't be any less. She glanced at Fyre as she came in to eat she was looking at the ceiling very similar to what Fuin had done in the morning thinking on what she could do about the roof that was leaking.

Fuin snorted at the thought that they were going to make more chairs so that kids could race down the street Iuldir rolled his eyes and corrected her letting her know that it was a secret.

"Indeed I was thinking just that, nobles don't like taking charity, they like to keep...appearances and taking charity tends to make them look weak, or broke. They like to brag how much an item costs, even if that isn't what they paid for it. The gift of mobility might have to be the gift itself and since I have no doubt that Iuldir will be sneaking into his friend Iuldir can tell him as much of the true secret as he feels like Caeleb can keep secret." Fuin said calmly. "I will talk to Afarfin on it and perhaps Ivornith - she will know the man better than any of us I think aside from Iuldirs dislike of him." Fuin said with a chuckle.

"If the weaving and sewing of the leather is left and I need to leave, at least it's something that the two of you should be able to manage without me as it's sewing." Fuin said mindful of the fact Fyre was still there, "Shall we clean up the dishes and empty the buckets one more time before we go and see about finishing the chair for Caeleb?"

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

"What's so secret about it all, anyway? Why's it a secret?" Fyre wondered, puzzled about it. It sounded like it was a good thing, so she didn't understand.
"It's just that it's a surprise for Caeleb." Iuldir explained. "He doesn't know about it, and we've got a plan to trick his father into letting him have it." He explained. "But it's a surprise, so I didn't want anyone to tell him about it. So not a word, alright?"
Fyre tilted her head, thinking. "Caeleb who? I never heard of anyone by that name."
"Of course not. You don't know him," Iuldir rolled his eyes. "Anyway, just don't tell anyone."
"I won't." She shrugged, figuring it shouldn't be hard not to tell since she had no one to tell it to, and didn't even know the boy it was for.

Cali nodded a bit in reply to Fuin, cleaning up the dishes once they'd finished eating. "That sounds like a good plan. I suppose we'll have to take Rissy along, too." She sighed, wishing it would stop raining. "I hate having to keep bringing her through the rain, though."
"Why can't I just stay here with Rissy?" Fyre offered. "I could empty the buckets, too. Then you wouldn't have to take her back and forth, and you wouldn't have to worry about the buckets. I don't think I could help any other way, right?"
Cali was a bit surprised by the offer, and paused to think on it a moment. "Yes, that would be good." She smiled a little. "Thank you, Fyre, that would be extremely helpful. Alright, now that we've got that sorted, let's go." With that she set out toward the barn, with Iuldir hurrying along after, also glad they would even be able to work more freely with Fyre staying behind at the house.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin honestly wasn't too sure why they were being so secretive with Fyre in terms of telling her why it needed to be secretive, she hadn't hidden what she had been saying about Caelebs father, and if anything Fyre, as the daughter of someone she described as an ogre that was likely a noble as well she might actually understand why one would have to be secretive about a gift from a poor family to a rich family. Though who knew.

Fuin was happy that they wouldn't have to make sure Rissy was safe and the buckets would hopefully not overflow. With that the three of them set off to the barn once more, Fuin bit her lip, she could see Afarfin was exceptionally close now. The heat had dissipated a little with the forge being shut down in terms of the coals not being left to stay burning but to go out. They would need to of course be careful incase Fyre came to them because there was an issue in terms of what they said but over all they would be able to work far swifter. Then she'd have to explain to him what he was allowed to say and what she wanted him to do.

"I think we're only going to get the leather weaving started before my husband arrives I'm afraid." She said as she shut the door behind her, she knew full well that her husband had seen her through the rain. "So we should work quickly if we can."

Afarfin and HoH Nurse
Driving towards Dol Amroth Outskirts

She was still there he'd seen her, she looked right at him and he tensed expecting her to run instead though she continued with what she was doing which confused him. Normally when she felt the need to run she didn't stop for anything, she had to come back on her own. The fact that she wasn't this time? This confused him, something had to have happened that stopped whatever spiral she was going into. One of the healers said that she seemed to do things to force herself to do things to stop her own spirals.

He was sick of this rain and debated on staying at the farm house for the night before they headed back towards Minas Tirith, if he could convince her to go back, she was a stubborn woman, she always had been even when she had been so young in the first age... Now? Now that she was a warrior, and a healer, and so much more because she'd had all this time to figure out other things to do with her time other than heal she was even worse than she was so many years ago.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

"He's that close?" Iuldir poked his head back out of the barn into the rain, but couldn't see anything and hurriedly pulled his head back in. "I didn't see him."
"You probably won't for a bit," Cali smiled slightly as she dug out a pile of leather strips, trimmed off from various projects. Most were similar in size, and others would need to be trimmed down a bit to make them uniform in width, but that shouldn't take long. "Alright, let's get started then. Iuldir, you start sorting these to figure out which ones need to be trimmed so they're all about the same width, and Fuin and I will get started weaving." She selected a handful of them that were already uniform in width and began laying them out in preparation for weaving.

As Iuldir got started on his task, Cali went to dig out her leather tools, including one she'd made a while back to make cutting leather pieces easier. "Here, you should be able to use this even with your arms hurting," She told Iuldir, setting up the device* on the anvil. "You just adjust this to the width we want," She carefully set the width of the blade, then secured it down. "And then put the leather in there, and pull it through and it cuts it to the right width. Be very careful though, that blade is very sharp. I don't want to have to explain to your mother how you lost a couple of fingers, alright?"

"That's neat!" Iuldir grinned and nodded. "I'll be careful." He promised, and got started on sorting. The wider ones he trimmed down like Cali showed him, and passed them over into the pile of strips that were the right width.
Sitting down on the floor, Cali laid out enough of them to cover the seat area, and paused, thinking how best to go about this. "How about I work on this end, and you work on the other?" She suggested, passing Fuin the box of leather tools. "I've done plenty of sewing," She mentioned thoughtfully. "My mother always thought little girls ought to learn sewing. But it helped me a lot with making armor and sword grips and things, and making them look nicer than what my father used to do... his stitching was..basic." She smiled faintly, remembering how puzzled he'd looked when his work started to improve in looks as well as quality.

"Hm... here's an idea." She paused, before starting on sewing. "We could stitch these so that the leather strips wrap around the bars on the side of the frame... or, we use some small rivets to secure the seat so it holds up to plenty of wear and tear. And still sew it across, for good measure." She mentioned, as one never knew what sort of test a child might put something through. "What do you think?" She asked Fuin. Just because her husband was nearly there was no reason to rush through this last step and possibly have unsatisfactory work, after all. "I should have a box of rivets around here.."

( *like that, except made of metal and where it can be secured on the anvil)

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin laughed as Iuldir as he tried to look through the rain for her husband. "If you have elf eyes in that head then your aunt will be calling you a forge master faster than you can blink." She said and shook her head as she got ready to start weaving the seat with the leather strips that were already the right width.

They sat opposite each other and began the task of prepping to start sewing when Cali suggested riveting the leather. Fuin was hesitant at first. "We need to put the smooth side of the rivets up, we don't want anything rough on the seat side simply because he may have a hard time moving or he may not even know if somethings gone wrong with a rivet and it's hurting him." Fuin looked at Iuldir and Cali, "I don't know if his legs don't work or if he has no sensation in his legs at all, the two are different but either way we probably want to limit if there is anything sharp near his legs at all but the rivet will allow for less strain on the stitching and prolong the life of the sewing we're about to do." She said agreeing with Cali's idea over all. and she took out the small punch so that she could begin riveting the strips of metal. "We'll likely want to work together with one of us holding the rivet so that the other can hammer the other hammers the shank and the burr to keep it all neat and tidy."

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

Cali smiled a little. "Of course, smooth side up." She answered, a bit surprised Fuin would think it necessary to tell her that. She paused, thinking on the question about Caeleb's legs. "I really don't know what the situation is with his legs," She added thoughtfully. "Iuldir, do you?"
Pausing as he finished another strip and tossed it into their pile, Iuldir tilted his head. "Um, I think he can feel them? he just can't use them. It hurts him or something. He got hurt once a long time ago, when he was a lot younger than Rissy is, and couldn't ever walk after that." He explained, remembering what Caeleb had told him before.

Nodding a little, Cali thought on that as she went to get the box of rivets. "We'll make sure the seat is very comfortable then. He can even add a cushion if he needs to, or wants to." She added, thinking of how she'd heard his parents were about him. They'd probably want to cover the thing in cushions and blankets, regardless of how comfortable it was. "Let's get those rivets in, then. Or do you think the sewing should be first?" She wondered, trying to decide on that. "Maybe rivets, then sewing?" She tilted her head, trying to decide on that.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin could see the smile on Cali's face and blinked realizing that Fyre was not about and shook her head. "Sorry my brain is still working on the fact we have a guest nearby." She said with a chuckle a little embarassed that she'd gotten set in a thought pattern and hadn't adjusted to the fact Fyre was still in the house and not in the barn with them.

Fuin listened to Iuldir as he explained that it was some sort of injury but that he could feel them. something comfortable would be needed, she liked the idea of a cushion though that was something that would be useful to the boys comfort. "Rivets first for sure then we wont be fighting with the stitches to keep the punched holes lined up." She said calmly and the began putting the rivets in quickly until one side was done which was when Fuin paused. "We should probably start weaving these before we rivet the other side or it may end up too tight and be a fight for us and too stiff for Caeleb." She said "At least get most of it in so that we have an idea on how much slack we will need with the weaving for it to work right." She said calmly and with that they started on rivetting the strands that would be weaving over and under on the seat until they had enough that they could start riveting the other sides. The seat was all in place, all that was left to do was sew it now. When Fuin heard the door open and a very very wet tall man stood glowering at her.

"Hello love." She said with a smile so that Cali and Iuldir would at least know that this was, despite the damp and dour mood of him, her husband.

"I am sorry for the intrusion." Afarfin said realizing that there were others here, "I heard the hammering and was thinking she'd found a forge to make herself a weapon or something but it sounded to quiet." As he pushed his cowl back revealing his blond hair sticking to his face and head as he ushered the nurse in out of the wet as well. "I hope that one." He said jutting his chin at Fuin while speaking to Cali "Hasn't caused you too many problems."

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

Cali nodded as she helped with the rivets. Soon that was finished, and she was just about to get started on weaving when the door opened. Iuldir looked up from his work, a bit startled, and then glanced slightly toward Cali and Fuin. Cali looked up, pausing in the middle of weaving a strip of leather. Despite the fact she knew Fuin's husband was so near, she wondered why everyone seemed to think it was alright to just open the door to the barn on someone else's property, but she didn't comment. Fuin's words confirmed that it was, in fact, her husband, and Cali felt quite bad for him, being all soaked and miserable. Manners overrode her slight annoyance at the intrusion, and she stood.

"It's quite alright, come in and dry off, the fire should still be warm enough to help." She told him. The nurse entered next, and Cali was relieved beyond words to see that it was not her mother, as she had been harboring a growing concern on that account. "I'm sorry we have no towels out here, but at least it's dry and warm here." She shook her head with a slight smile to the elf lord's comment. "Not at all, your wife has been a great help to us, actually. We've enjoyed having her stay with us, and you're welcome to stay as long as you like, as well. I'm Cali Dringolben, and this is my nephew Iuldir. His mother had to leave, sadly, but she will be back later this evening."

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Purrmonster of Doom

Afafin nodded his thanks to Cali at her kindness and led the nurse in and stood her near the forge taking her cloak and going to wring it out as much as he could for her. The nurse looked about shocked at where she was, and at Fuin who had stayed seated (mostly to make it so that Afarfin would have a bit more of a fight if he wanted to grab her an haul her out of there immediately.

"Oh. A wheelchair!" The nurse said realizing what they were working on. "That's fancier than the ones in the House of Healing! Ours are all wooden." She wandered from the forge to look at the work that the two women had been doing.

Afarfin for his part smiled. "I am glad to hear that you've enjoyed her stay here, she can be..." He looked at her as Fuin as she remained seated smiling up at him like a sea devil. "quite the handful. I am Afarfin Hendumaica it is good to meet you. I was curious what caused my wife to stop her little run to the west." He walked over to Fuin who was doing her best to pretend that she was engrossed in stitching the leather strapping she was working on and crouched down beside her. She glanced back at him realizing short of launching herself over the chair, she was trapped between it while sitting on her back side and her absolutely soaked husband.

"You wouldn-" She didn't get to finish her word even when he wrapped his arms around her hugging her to his body tightly as she squealed as her back was absolutely soaked by him. "You're a monster!" She shrieked laughing trying to get away from him. Afarfin for his part did not let go and whispered something to her that only she could hear and before finally releasing her after a few moments.

"As much as I would like to head back immediately, the rain has been horrible and I think it would be best if we stayed the night at least if that is alright?" Asking both Cali and the nurse that was with him. "It will give us a bit of a chance to dry off and hopefully the rain will stop soon, though we could stay at an inn if that is too much to ask of you."

"No you're staying." Fuin said suddenly. "Sorry - I know you asked Cali, and I apologize for answering for her and Ivornith, but I have some... things that you need to deal with while here. Especially since you now have my back soaked." She said with a wee scowl and wiggled trying to get comfortable now that her clothing was stuck solidly to her back.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

Cali smiled slightly. "I've been quite a handful, myself, over time.. as is my nephew at times. Luckily, I have two hands." She replied, moving to go back and continue working on the weaving part she'd begun. She nodded slightly in reply to the nurse, a woman she did not know, though she may have heard her mother speak of her before, who knows. "Yes, it is a wheelchair," She confirmed. "Fuin and Iuldir made it. I'm helping with the sewing and weaving." She simply left out that she had also been a big part of making it.

As Afarfin went and hugged Fuin, getting her all wet, Iuldir giggled at the sight of it, smiling to see that the guy did at least look like he might be a funny person.
Cali smiled, but felt a twinge of sadness as she recalled some of the fun times she used to have with Ryn and their group of friends. She turned back to weaving, until Afarfin spoke again to ask if he might stay. She had just opened her mouth to say that it was completely fine to stay here, but then Fuin spoke before she had a chance to. She glanced at her, a bit puzzled, but then nodded. "Yes, of course, you're quite welcome to stay here." She added, though she did sort of wonder where she would put the nurse. Maybe, if necessary, she could let the nurse sleep in her room, and Cali could just sleep out here in the loft or something.

"If you'd like, you're welcome to go to the house? I'm not sure how long Ivornith will be, but there is a girl in there, watching my little niece, and.. tending to things. There should be a fire going, and they can find you some towels and blankets." She offered, hoping that at least the nurse might go. Then she and Fuin and Afarfin could discuss the matter of the wheelchair without having the nurse listening in.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Purrmonster of Doom

Afarfin also frowned at his wife, but nodded his thanks to Cali. "I'll take the nurse to the house and then return to make sure she doesn't go scurrying away in the rain. If she tries to leave please make sure she doesn't." Afarfin said standing up mussing his wifes hair as she slapped at his hand with a smile to the young boy that giggled.

He draped his own wet cloak over the nurse and headed out Afarfin wasn't worried about getting wet or sick he was an elf but he did want to make sure that the nurse didn't get sick. He lead her to the house keeping the rain off of her as much as possible as he'd already wrung her cloak out so that she wouldn't be nearly as wet as she had been and opened the door to see a red headed girl standing fumbling with a bucket.

"Hello, Cali said that the nurse could stay in here and dry off?" Afarfin said as they all stood looking at each other somewhat in shock.

Fuin for her part looked at Cali once the two of them had gone, "I apologize, I uh... I needed him to stay here tonight rather than in an inn, if you would like the two of us can sleep out here in the loft, that way the nurse can have the room I was in?" Fuin offered as she worked as quickly as she could to finish stitching one of the leather strips. "Partially for the wheelchair but I also have another reason that I want him here for I think a quick look in the house will make my job fairly easily." She said with a smile.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

Calithildis (Cali), Iuldir and Saffyre

Cali nodded a bit to Afarfin. "I don't think she will." She assured him, knowing something he did not, and smiled. She watched them go to leave, then turned back to Fuin and nodded thoughtfully. "Yes, that works well enough. Although, I had initially thought of sleeping in the loft." She paused, thinking. "You might be more comfortable in the house, in a bed, and perhaps he would be, too?" She suggested, thinking more of their guests' comfort than anything. "I can sleep in the loft."

"Maybe I could?" Iuldir offered, thinking it might be fun to sleep in the barn for a night. Like an adventure. "Rissy's got a nice little nap area, it shouldn't be too small for me." He suggested.
"I'm not sure your mother would agree to that." Cali frowned thoughtfully. "Although, we could ask her. She may." She shrugged. "Anyway, we need to get this finished, so that hopefully, we can get it to Caeleb in the next day or so." She smiled at the idea, hoping it wouldn't take too long to finish weaving the seat and back.

Saffyre found it a little easier to keep Rissy occupied now that they were in the house, where most of Rissy's toys were. She humored her as Rissy dragged out all of her few toys to show her. A couple of dolls, and a couple of things that used to belong to her brother. She played for a little while before coming up with a game. "Let's go all around the house and check for buckets that are almost full, alright?" She said, watching Rissy run off to check for buckets. Saffyre wandered around to check on the buckets herself. One of them was close to needing emptied, and she carried it to the door before realizing that she had to set it down to open the door. Once she got it open, and dumped the bucket out, she left it ajar as she went to check the other buckets.

"I found one!" Rissy informed her, pointing to the largest one, under the worst leak. Saffyre saw that it was only a few inches from the top. "Thanks Rissy." She went and picked it up with some difficulty, struggling a little not to spill it as she headed toward the door. Then, just as she was about to fling the water out into the outdoors, she stopped short, eyes widening at the sight of two strangers who had appeared on the doorstep. "Uh.." She set the bucket down, since it was rather heavy and awkward. "Yeah, come in.. sorry." She stepped aside so they could come in, a bit confused and unsure what to do here. "I.. almost threw a bunch of water at you." She said, meaning it apologetically, but was quite unfamiliar with making apologies.

"Fyrrrrre, the floor's getting all wet!" Rissy complained, reminding Fyre that the bucket needed to be replaced quickly. "Oops, sorry." She stepped past Cali's guests before dumping the bucket out, then hurried back in to put it back where it belonged. "There, better?"
Rissy dragged the mop over. "You gotta do this now." She informed Fyre. Having assigned Fyre with the task, Rissy then bounced over to the nurse excitedly. "What your name?" And immediately upon getting an answer to that, ran to the man with pointy ears, and repeated the same question.
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Purrmonster of Doom

Afarfin helped the nurse come in and the two of them looked in the nurse probably hid the look on her face worse than Afarfin did. The elf glanced at the leaks and suddenly had a very solid idea of why Fuin was wanting him to stay. Not that he could do anything while it was raining. As they walked in Afarfin made a note of all the leaks some of them were horrible and should have been dealt with months even years ago he figured how he was going to fix this he wasn't entirely sure. Fuin had to have something in mind when all of a sudden a child running up to him and asking him his name.

"Afarfin." He said looking down at her a little shocked. He wasn't use to children Fuin normally wasn't the sort to be around children but perhaps that was because all of the children that she was around were far more grabby as Fuin would call them. This one thus far was just asking questions, he could appreciate that. "What's your name?" That might have been a mistake asking children questions, he was certain Fuin had told him something about that but for the life of him he couldn't remember exactly what it was and he was at a loss of what to do even as he helped to make sure the nurse was near the fire and her cloak was hung up near it so that at the very least it would dry.

Fuin for her part gave a shrug. "He use to sleep out in the grass and wouldn't even take a bloody pillow or bed roll with him the the first age. I'm sure the loft will be just fine for the two of us though I think Ivornith might be worried his lordness Afarfin is unhappy about it." She said with a chuckle. "He can have the room I was in once the nurse and I head back to Minas Tirith, I'm sure Ivornith will feel better about that as he might be here a while if it take a bit to get the chair to Caeleb." She said calmly knowing full well that with him in the house with it raining like it was that he would probably have already figured out what she was wanting him to do in while he was there, but be completely oblivious on the chair portion of it.

Steward of Gondor
@Raisins

Calithildis (Cali), Iuldir and Saffyre

Rissy looked delighted to be given an answer, though the name was a bit funny. "I'm Rissy." She answered. "Where you live?" She wondered, looking curiously up at his ears. "Were you playing in the rain too?" She added, looking at his wet clothes. "Mommy says you'll catch a cold that way."
Fyre rolled her eyes, mumbling something under her breath about how she'd never caught a cold playing in the rain, and went to check some more buckets. She found a couple of them that needed emptying, and then tried to mop up the puddle but found that the mop was mostly just pushing the water around, being too soaked by now to absorb anymore, and she wasn't too sure what to do about that.

Cali smiled slightly, thinking of a few adventures the boys had taken off on, involving sleeping under the stars and such. "Well, we'll work out those details when we get to them." She shrugged. "I hope Ivornith won't be too much longer, but.. that woman.. the ogre as her granddaughter has very aptly named her," She added with a little amusement, "she tends to be very demanding, so there's no telling." She sighed. Another reason why it might be best to just come out with her secret, yet something still made her quite reluctant about it. "Let's also hope that it stops raining before too long." She mentioned, thoughtful. If it kept raining, it would be a while before they could do anything.

"Did you hear what that nurse said about the chair?" Iudlir asked, grinning. "She was so impressed, said it's much fancier than the ones they have." He added, feeling quite proud of that. "Maybe they'll even start putting in orders to make more of them!" he suggested, thinking how awesome that would be. "We could make lots of money, maybe, and then mother wouldn't have to work so much."
Last edited by Rillewen on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Purrmonster of Doom

Afarfin gave a small laugh, " I live in a big house by the sea west of the Misty Mountains. I as not playing in the rain, I was travelling and got caught in the rain because I needed to come and get my wife, she's been staying here the last while." He said hoping that would sate her curiosity. Afarfin heard Fyre and gave her a look, she didn't LOOK like Rissy or the other boy that had stayed, and that sort of comment seemed to be coming from someone who had the privilege of a warm dry home at night to sleep in. If the holes in the ceiling were leaking that badly then the place could get quite cold possibly especially if there wasn't a fire going. He checked the fire, it hadn't been stoked in a while and was starting to burn low. There wasn't a lot of wood in the house but he added a log to it so that it would keep going before he saw Fyre struggling with the mop and knew for certain this girl wasn't a member of this family.

He walked over to her and held out his hand until he gave her the mop. "You have to wring it out. Rissy," He called figuring that while she might not know how she might be able to point him to a bucket meant for that with a grate on it to twist the extra water out. "Do you know where Cali or your mother wring this out?" He very much hoped that she'd be able to point him in the right direction so he could get back to the barn itself.

Fuin for her part smiled as Iuldir grinned and got excited about the nurse talking about the chair. "I bet you you could get a few orders for them from different houses of healing. I know that I will probably get one or two from you for the Imladris Abad Nestad. Saves me having to make them on my own!" Fuin said with a laugh knowing full well while she COULD make them on her own it would be quite difficult in the end. "Though I think because you're making them well enough you probably won't get too many repeat orders for them sadly." She said with a nod. She was a bit curious about this woman,she knew full well there was almost nothing that she could do to help with her, all she could do was make sure that Iuldir and Cali got orders and were able to make more money smithing if she could at all. Goodness knows she was happy to help them get their feet under them once more - and there were ALWAYS nails and strapping and banding and bits that were needed for the ships when they came past Dol Amroth that they could get supplies there though Mylien would be displeased at stopping so close to Dol Amroth...