Ithilien, Pelargir, The Southern Fiefdoms (Free RP)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage
Calithildis (Cali) and nephew, Iuldir
Inside an outbuilding, at a small homestead on the outskirts of Dol Amroth

Cali smiled sadly. "Alas... the race of men are not so understanding, I suppose, as elves. They would not accept that a woman could be as good as any man," She said, repeating what her father had instilled in her from a young age. "No warrior would trust armor made by a woman, and they would not buy from me. When I lived in Minas Tirith, I worked in secret, and those who bought my work did so believing that it had been made by my father." She explained, sighing. "I did it without him knowing, even." She hesitated, reluctant to mention how her father's work had declined in quality once his drinking habit began. She had always tried to protect his image from being tarnished, even though it pained her sometimes, to let him take the credit for her work, when he had been too drunk to remember that he did not make those items.

Trying not to get too wrapped up in sad memories, Cali shook her head. "I agreed to teach Iuldir the craft, because he wanted to learn, and there was no one else to teach him. My father died, as did his.. and I don't fully trust any of the others I've seen to teach him properly." She added. Though she had not actually met whoever was renting the forge from her mother, she felt some amount of reservations about this stranger operating out of HER forge. Whoever it was, he couldn't possibly deserve such a forge. Not that it was anything truly spectacular, but she was quite fond of it, and personally felt that it was one of the best forges around. This one was well enough, of course, as it had been built by her oldest brother Dawion after he married Iuldir's mother. But the Dringolben forge was home.

At Fuin's question, Cali focused her attention back upon the project they had been working on. Seeing her nephew look up at her, Cali nodded to him. "It's your project, you should tell." She informed him, letting him explain.

Iuldir bounced a little in excitement. "It's going to be a chair, but with wheels on it," He informed her, showing a somewhat messy sketch he had drawn of what he had in mind. "It's for my friend. He can't walk, so he has to stay in bed all the time, and so he gets really bored, and his parents don't like to let him have any visitors so they don't upset him or anything." He rolled his eyes. "But Caeleb wants to be able to go outside and everything, so I wanted to make this for him as a surprise. I just hope his father and mother will let him have it." He added, frowning at that concern.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Lord of Imladris
The Outskirts of Dol Amroth
Present Day.

@Rillewen

Fuin listened carefully to Cali, and gave a small nod, perhaps the race of men had become more stubborn, but they had accepted Cali's work, they had bought her armor and swords by the droves. The elf figured that perhaps Cali needed more encouragement, to give her enough courage to do it. For men in Bree bought swords from her, granted she was an elf which meant she had a quality of mystic to her. Perhaps though she would make sure that Cali was seen with her learning to smith in Gondor, perhaps take her to Minas Tirith and talk about the metal items they see, what they would improve how it was made from looking at it. It was something that she had done with Cala to make sure people knew that she knew what she was talking about. She'd also worked hard to make sure the Lords that were buying armor knew they were coming from Cala.

No these men of Gondor would learn to respect Dringolben women as they once had. Perhaps she should make Cali and Iuldir to teach their daughters as well as their sons so that this was not an issue, after all how much longer could she possibly stay in Middle-earth? Elves were fading and traveling west. She absolutely lit up though when Iuldir spoke about making a chair with wheels on it.

"OH! I have been in one of those recently, drove the healer and the nurse insane trying to figure out how it was built while sitting in it my leg stitched up!" Fuin said with a chuckle. "I said I wanted to know how to make them so this shall be fun for all of us!" Fuin said with a happy laugh "And we will have to make sure that your friend Caeleb is allowed to use the chair even if I have to go and yell at his parents myself, I'm older than them I know better." Fuin said with a laugh. "Or something like that."

"So do you have a drawing of how you want it to look and work?" Fuin asked Iuldir directly since as Cali had said this was his idea. Already her mind was running through how the chair had looked that she'd been in, her stay in the chair had been short but it had fascinated her utterly and she had thought of some improvements for it. Especially if one was going to be in it for a while.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

Iuldir became further excited at this news. "You did? You were! I didn't even know it was something that existed, until I told aunt Cali about wanting to make one. I thought I made it up." Iuldir said, only slightly disappointed. "I drew this," He told her, showing the not-so-great drawing. "But then Aunt Cali made a better drawing." He added with a grin. "Show her, Aunt Cali! She's got all sorts of good ideas for it. Tell her about it!"

Cali looked down a bit shyly, but pulled out the design sketch she had made up, offering it to Fuin to examine. "I wouldn't be surprised if it was my mother you were driving crazy," She said with a small smile. "She is a nurse in the houses of healing," She explained. "She had told me, vaguely, about these... but I have never seen one. I thought, initially, we might use a regular chair and attach wheels onto it, but then I thought it would be even better to make the frame completely out of metal, so that it lasts better, and will better survive any bumps or uh...rough terrain.." She glanced at her nephew, well aware of the sort of mischief he was capable of getting involved in.. and having grown up with Ryn, she was further aware of the sort of mischief boys in general could think up. She wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Iuldir and Toby and Caeleb would end up racing the crippled boy down the street in this thing, once it was completed.

Pointing out a few little details she'd added onto her design, she mentioned, "I wanted to make it so that the chair can be adjusted, later, as he grows, so that he won't need an entirely new chair every time he gets a growth spurt, you see, so I thought of doing it like this... We were about to make the wheels for it.. but I'm a little uncertain exactly how big they ought to be, because... well, if they're too small, it might not work, and if I make them what seems to be the right size now, then later, when the chair is adjusted to be bigger, they might not be big enough..." She frowned at the drawing, a little frustrated by this problem. "I was thinking of making them about so high, do you think that would work?" She added, holding her hand up to the height she suspected might work best.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

Fuin laughed and nodded. "I did not know they existed either until I was at the House of Healing either so they are quite knew and absolutely brilliant." Fuin said with a chuckle. "I'd never thought of such a thing." She looked over the drawing and understood the idea and then she looked at Calis who put the sketch down that she'd worked out.

"Children are quite rough on things indeed a good call on making it from metal. and the way you've created the ability to adjust it is brilliant. The chair I was on was made of wood, so cheaper to make than metal but not as durable - and the nurses would not let me take it for a race down the hallway which was very disappointing and I'm far older than Caeleb is so no doubt he will want to as well as his friends." Fuin said with a smile.

"The wheels on the chair I was on were.... " She gestured roughly the same size as Cali had, " For the big ones and then there were smaller ones in the front as well that were about this big." The second set of wheels were barely a quarter of the size of the big ones." I would say make them big enough that you don't need to remake them again for the large ones, and for the small ones, I would make them larger than the house of healing chairs, if one had to move one ones own strength then smaller wheels tend to get stuck easier especially outside if he gets into mud, also I would suggest making them wider than the ones at the house of healing to spread the load better." Fuin said calmly.

"Too big as a child is alright, children are far more adaptable than adults I've always found elf or otherwise. How many spokes are you planning to put in each of the wheels? to support the weight and abuse of having children playing with this chair?" Fuin asked "I would say no less than 6 and no more than 10 fairly heavy spokes or you could end up with a spoke bending and replacing a spoke in a metal wheel would be nearly impossible."

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

Iuldir tried to look as innocent as possible as they spoke of 'rough terrain' and 'abuse from children' and then even flat-out spoke of racing with the chair. He put on his best 'I wouldn't do a thing like that!' expression. Smiling up at Fuin, he tried to imagine her in a race in one such chair. "I bet it was my grandmother that wouldn't let you, wasn't it? She doesn't ever want to let me have any fun, either. She's always telling me to behave and be good... and doesn't believe me when I say I am being good!"

Cali gave a soft laugh at that. "She never let me or your uncles or your father, either." She assured him, then added in a whisper, as if in secrecy, "We had fun anyway though, we just didn't let her know about it." She straightened with a smile, then listened as Fuin answered her about the wheels, nodding thoughtfully. "Yes, that sounds like a good plan. I hadn't entirely decided about the spokes. What do you think, Iuldir?" She asked the young 'apprentice', with a smile.

"Uh.." Caught off guard to have his opinion asked, he thought about it for a moment. "What about eight?" He suggested, going with the number in the middle of those which Fuin mentioned. "Will he be able to move it on his own?" He wondered, looking up at them both. "I don't think he's very strong. I figured someone would have to push the chair for him. Me or Dina or Toby could do that, maybe?"

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

Fuin laughed "No the nurse looking after me I think was to young to be your grandmother, my nurse took to calling me Revered Grandmother because I am so old. There was one older nurse that told me if I was her daughter she'd twist my hear give me a paddling and send me to home without dinner." Fuin said quite seriously. "Maybe that one was your grandmother? I don't think she liked me. I was not a good patient that listened well." Fuin said with a smile.

Fuin nodded as Iuldir brought up a possible issue with the weight of the chair. "Yes it will be tricky especially if it's made all of iron or steel, sadly there is only one metal that would make this exceptionally easy but alas it is in too rare of a quantity here to be able to be of use." She said softly. Mithril, would be perfect for the chair but alas such quantities did not exist short of her going and stealing every single helm off of every Citadel of the guard... She could possibly take a mithril fresco off of the main gate of Gondor. Aragorn and Gimli would undoubtedly have her head for that even if she did have their respect for the moment. "How often do you think he will have people there to push his chair for him Iuldir? Should we think of making it six so that if he is on his own he has a better chance of moving himself around in case he's alone." She asked him because she figured the young boy would know his friend best and how often people were able to visit him.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

Cali smiled faintly. "That sounds like her, indeed. My mother certainly knows how to ruin any plans for fun." She said, not entirely serious. Iuldir nodding with a laugh, agreeing. "Grandma never lets me or my friend Toby do anything really fun," He added. "But she makes really good treats. You should ask her for some of her little cakes she makes." He grinned. "She's not really that mean, though. And she's good at helping make people get better."

"She has quite a passion for healing, though she has been content with being only a nurse." Cali chose not to mention the cause which had pushed her mother into that field. "But before she was a nurse, she was mother to..perhaps the three most rambunctious children ever seen in that city.. and myself as well." She smiled faintly, deciding she didn't envy her mother, having to raise the four of them. And certainly not having to then lose three of them. The hint of sadness returned to her smile, and it faded, at that thought. She focused on what Fuin was saying. A good question. How often would there be people to push Caeleb? She looked at Iuldir to answer that, as he would know that better than she would.

Iuldir took a moment to think on that, glancing at Cali with some hesitation, before turning back to Fuin. "Well," He fidgeted. "Dina's there a lot, she's his older cousin. She's allowed to be there, cause she lives there. But..." He hesitated again. "Well, the rest of us aren't really allowed to visit him...but we do anyway." He explained, a bit awkward. "His father forbade me, especially, from going back there..." He added regretfully. "So me and Toby and Melly usually sneak in the window when we want to visit Caeleb." He added with a sheepish grin.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

"Aside from the threats to my ears and backside indeed she was a good nurse." Fuin said with a nod as the two laughed though there was something there painful so she did not press. After all she had a feeling her brothers, had not made it - perhaps from sickness perhaps from the War, it was hard to tell and she was not entirely certain that she should press to find out just what had happened to them. Such things were painful, and she was not so good of a friend to these two yet that it was her place to pry to help ease the burden of their grief. Perhaps in time she mused.

Iuldir for his part seemed nervous to admit that he snuck in to visit his friend. "Sounds like you and Toby and Melly are the best sort of friends one could possibly ask for." She said with a nod. "I've no doubt that he appreciates your sneakiness very much, though that will mean we will need to come up with a creative way for him to suddenly get this chair. I may be able to help with that being an elf..." She mused as she gave the young boy a small smile.

"If Dina's there a lot I would say 8 is a great number for strength and lightness. So I'd say the first thing we need to do is make a good amount of fairly thick rod to make the spokes themselves and harden them but we don't want to temper them" She said calmly, "Shall we work on them first? we'll need 16 of them, which is a lot of metal to work."

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

Cali nodded at the suggestions of Fuin, thinking for a moment. “Yes, eight sounds good. As for how to get the family to accept the chair… I was thinking… well, Iuldir’s mother is a housekeeper there, a few days a week. I hoped we might be able to utilize that somehow. I thought maybe Ivornith could take it to the family. But, I also fear that Caeleb’s father may not accept it. I’ve noticed that men tend to have a lot of that stubborn pride.” She said, rolling her eyes.

“If that doesn’t work,” Iuldir piped up, “I can sneak it to him somehow, maybe. Maybe I could get Dina to help, she’s on our side. We just have to make sure his dumb sister doesn’t hear about it, or she’d go tell their parents.” He scowled, clearly disliking this sister of Caeleb’s.

“I’d rather do this in a way that the chair needn’t be kept secret,” Cali mentioned. “It may be fun for a while, keeping such a thing a secret, but I imagine Caeleb would rather be able to use it freely, without worrying about getting caught.” She turned back to Fuin. “How thick would you suggest these spokes be? And could it not work to make four longer bars, with a sort of groove in the middle so that they fit together at the correct angles, then secure them together, so they form the eight spokes?”

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

Fuin nodded with Cali’s statement. "The chair being secret from his parents won't do. It'll be too noisy and you and Dina might get hurt trying to sneak it in and out especially if you have to go through a window.". Fuin sat thinking for a moment that indeed his mother might be helpful in this. Perhaps she would have to arrange an elf showing up at their house nobles of that sort tended to want to show off how grand they were, especially to high elves. Indeed she had just the elf for the task… it wasn't her though. But to do it she'd need to be captured by her family. "We'll worry about that once we have the chair done I think."

She listened to Cali's idea. It was brilliant but there was a bit of a flaw.

"To make flat bars will make it heavier especially to make it so they interlock. And a thin bar will bend easily. We want a round rod and a hub that they are pushed into will be more economical for strength and weight over all. As well there is also less of a chance of shearing the grooves if the kids are rough with it. Especially if they try taking it out of a window." She looked at Iuldir and smirked knowing that even if Fuin said it was dangerous to do it at some point it was probably going to happen probably when he was older and more likely to rebel as a young man. "If we make the rods the size of oh say my thumb the round shape will keep it from buckling. And less risk of shearing with a hub but still repairable if the worst does happen."

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

Cali listened, nodding thoughtfully as Fuin pointed out what she had missed in that plan. Her idea had been to have the bars flattened in only the middle, which she knew would seem to make the middle weak, but once all four flat parts were melded together they would have been stronger. She was about to point all this out, when Fuin brought up the part about if they should have to fix a broken spoke later on. "Yes, that is a very good point." She bit her lip, feeling a little annoyed with herself for not having thought of that.

"If it's not a secret, I won't have to sneak it out the window." Iuldir pointed out, grinning. "And anyway, even if it was a secret, we could just keep it somewhere outside, and just take Caeleb out the window." He added, tilting his head as he tried to think how that might work.

Cali raised an eyebrow and turned to him. "Iuldir, want to tell me again... why was it that you were forbidden to visit Caeleb anymore?" She asked, knowing full-well, but thinking he might need a reminder.

Iuldir blushed a little and fidgeted. "I'd rather not say." He mumbled, embarrassed.

"No trying to carry him out the window." She told him sternly. "You could hurt him or yourself, doing a thing like that. And even if you didn't have any incidents, if you ever got caught, his parents would probably run you out of Dol Amroth and you might get your mother fired, too. No, and that's final." Shaking her head slightly, Cali turned back to the forge, suddenly feeling oddly a lot like her mother, and it felt strange.

Iuldir fidgeted again. "I won't, I was mostly joking anyway." He looked up at Fuin. "What can I do? I want to help." He tried to forget the embarrassment of Cali's minor scolding, eager to get this chair made so they could figure out how to get it to Caeleb.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

Fuin smirked as Iuldir fidgeted and said he was only mostly joking. Indeed. She knew young boys well enough to know only mostly meant there was some truth in what would happen. Cali was wise to scold him but she was not too harsh and that was good as far as Fuin was concerned though it was not her place on how Iuldir was raised - at least she thought he was past the sticky hand phase that bothered her the most.

“You young man, you are going to be in charge of making sure the rods your Aunt and I are going to make are straight including holding them up once they get long with a set of tongs that way they don’t bent at all while we stretch the metal out as we’ll want to hammer it out fairly quickly so you’re going to have to be very aware of how far out the rods are stretching. It’s incredibly important work.” Fuin said. Indeed it was and it would be work - tongs were not light and a hot metal rod could burn him or it could even bend and he had to let them know. “If it starts to bend from cooling you need to let us know quickly so we can get the rod back in the heat and straighten it.” She said very seriously about this and looked him in the eye.

“If we both hammer the rod until it’s almost thin enough we can use a round form it will go much faster Fuin said looking at Cali, “My first thought is we should both work in tandem on the same rod that way we can get them done faster, and our arms won’t tire out as quickly while the work gets done twice as fast.” She said with a smile, she wasn’t in her normal smithy clothing she normally kept to leather pants and a woolen shirt both of which were less likely to catch fire or burn if any slag flew from the metal she took a look around to see if there was an apron she could wear since technically these clothes were not actually hers, but borrowed from the House of Healing.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

Iuldir listened carefully to the instructions given by Fuin, and nodded, quite serious now that it was time for the work to begin. "Yes, ma'am." He took the tongs, trying to look ready for anything. "Should I put my gloves back on?" He looked at Cali questioningly, and when she nodded, he hurried off to grab them.

"We certainly don't want your mother questioning how you got burned, do we?" Cali pointed out, then noticed Fuin glancing around, and took a wild guess.. "If you'd like an apron or other gear, I have an extra set over here." She went over to a cabinet and pulled out an old leather apron, which was a bit long for Cali. "I'm sure there are also gloves, if you need them, though they are rather old, I'm afraid." She offered.

Once the plan was laid out and everyone fitted up in their protective gear, Cali got out an extra hammer and offered whichever hammer was in the best shape to Fuin to use. "I'm ready when you are. Iuldir, make sure you're paying attention, alright?"

"I am!" he looked ready to jump up and down, which brought a small smile to Cali's face at how much effort it must be taking for him to stand still, instead.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

She nodded and quickly went to get the apron and grabbed the old pair of gloves “They are not as old as my hands but they are a good sight better at not being burned by slag!” She said with a soft laugh as she slipped the apron on over her head, it was the right size for her, not short, so she figured that this was not one of Cali's aprons but likely someone elses tightening it around her waist before putting the gloves on.

She could see that the boy was exceptionally excited but was doing his best to stand still and be a good student. Considering how young he was-she was impressed. She took the hammer that was offered and grabbed a set of tongs pulling the large piece of metal out with one hand moving it quickly to the anvil. She repositioned the tongs to hold it in place. “Strike.” She said and they were off - back and forth came the muffled ‘thunk’ of hammers hitting hot iron, the strikes pushing it and stretching it thinner and thinner. Occasionally the hammers would stop only for the metal to be put back into the forge. The second time they would be finishing up stretching the length of the metal and then it would be put into the shaping form, which is when Iuldir would really need to pay attention - more so than now.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

The apron, Cali noted, had a bit of dust on it when Fuin took it out. It wasn't surprising; it hadn't been used in at least five, possibly almost six years. It was far older than that, of course, for Cali recognized that it was one that Dawion had used even back when he still worked alongside their father, before he ever joined the army. She remembered those times only vaguely. What she remembered more was the knowledge she had gained, without quite realizing it. At the time, she merely wanted to satisfy her seemingly unending curiosity. When her father was too busy to give her an answer, Cali would go and pester Dawion to answer her questions. Her oldest brother would always oblige her, even if it was with a sarcastic or silly answer. Cali could usually tell when he was being serious or teasing...

Reminding herself not to let herself be swept away by memories of long ago, Cali pushed them back away, to the back of her mind, and made herself refrain from thinking on those memories. As they began to work, she kept up quite a good rhythm as she worked with Fuin, though it was odd for her to work along with another smith. She'd always worked alone, other than teaching Iuldir, and it still felt strange to even have someone else know about her secret, aside from her dearest friend Iole. It was definitely going to make this job much easier, having someone so adept at the forge, running things, rather than Cali having to make guesses on the best way to go about this project, how to make it work, and hoping it would turn out right on the first try. Soon, the rod began to take shape rather quickly and she was pleased to see how nicely it was turning out.

"Alright Iuldir, are you ready?” She asked when it came time for him to do his part of the job. “You'll have to pay close attention."
"I'm ready." He had watched, quite impressed to have the chance to see Cali working with the elven smith, and hoped he could live up to their expectations of him. Feeling a bit nervous, he gripped the tongs and prepared for the part he was to play in this thing. As they began to work, he focused his attention very carefully on doing exactly what he was told and making sure he didn't drop the rod or allow it to bend or anything, so it would be perfectly straight.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

As the metal was heating Fuin quickly looked through the supplies in the small smithing shop and quickly found two chunks of metal that had a groove cut into each side of them with with square shaped holes in one and the other had matching protrusions to help line them up. She pressed the one side into the horn of the anvil so that it was locked and she grabbed a hold of the other piece with a light weight set of tongs.

“Alright Cali, I’m going to be in charge of locking the form in place and moving the iron you are going to be in charge of striking.” With that she pulled the metal from the forge and they began this time with Cali doing all of the heavy striking work though lining the form up was critical. After a few minutes Iuldir was having to work as the rod began to form quickly still a bright orange hot glow since the two smiths were not having to fiddle about with lining up. Indeed Cali reminded her very much of Cala near the end and it made her smile as Iuldir took a hold of the finished section of rod and was moving in tandem with Fuin as she inched the unshaped portion of iron into the form.

“Excellent work Iuldir.” She said as they quickly finished off the first rod, and Fuin dipped it into the oil bath quenching it flames licking up towards her arm for a few moments before pulling it out showing a fantastically straight rod/ “We’ll put this in the forge to the side to harden in the lower temperatures and continue with the rest of the rods.”

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

Iuldir watched as Fuin got a strange tool, and attached it to the anvil, curious. "What's that?" He wondered, having never seen such a tool before.

"It's a form, it's used for shaping the metal like we're about to do. Watch carefully, you'll see how it works." Cali answered, remembering back when she was...probably younger than him, and had asked the same question of her father. In fact, if she recalled correctly, her brother Dawion had been helping him at the time, and she smiled faintly at the memory of her eldest brother. She felt sad that she had fewer memories of him than she did of the other two, due to the fact he had been so much older than her, and had gone into the army when she was still quite young. Still, she remembered enough to remember what he was like, and to share some of those with Iuldir, and later, Rissy.

Keeping her thoughts focused on the present, Cali nodded in reply to Fuin, and remained carefully focused upon her task until the rod was finished at last. She smiled at her nephew. "You did do very well, I’m proud of you.” She told him, smiling as she wiped a little sweat from her forehead. “Do you need a rest before we start on the next one?" She asked him, unsure what his young arms were capable of yet. She paused to stretch her own arms, knowing how cramped one's hands can become if worked too long without a rest. She recalled that far too well from her earlier days in the forge, working through the night to fulfill a deadline that her father was too drunk to do properly.

Iuldir considered her question, trying to decide how he ought to answer. "I think I'm alright." He said at last, deciding to tough it out, and show he was able to handle it, even if he did sort of want a little break.
"I've got a good idea, why don't you run and get us a drink of water while we're preparing the next piece of iron? I could use a good long drink, what about you.. Lady Fuin?" She asked, a little uncertain exactly what to call her.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

Fuin nodded at the idea of some water. “A drink for all of us would be good.” She said with a smile. “And you are welcome to call me Fuin. Only Erestor calls me Lady something about propriety.” Fuin said with a chuckle. Iuldir ran off to get the water and she gave Cali a smile.

“His arms are getting tired even if he’s too stubborn to say as much.” She said with a chuckle as she listened to his feet thundering over the ground as quickly as he could to go get water. “We may want to know where a set of tongs are for you to take over part way through without him letting go entirely if it gets to be near the end.” She said leaning back against the work bench looking at the young gondorian woman with a smile, indeed it was hot but this was what Fuin loved above almost all else. It was her favourite thing to do in Imladris, and she always loved working with and teaching new smiths.

“You’re quite good as well hard to believe people wouldn’t want to purchase from you, I’ve no complaint on any of your technique nor can I give you any pointers for things to do on such a basic piece as this beyond design information - and I think that’s because I’ve seen a chair like this where you have not.” Fuin said with a smile as she looked to get another piece of metal.

“You will need to tell me when you need a break, I must admit, as of late all of my apprentices have been elves so they don’t tire easily even if their hammer strikes leave much to be desired.” She said with a chuckle and slipped the new piece of metal into the forge. The first heating always took the longest and it would get it going while they drang water. “Iuldir can take a bit of a break at least while we stretch this bit of metal out” She could hear footsteps again. “And here he comes.” Iuldir was returning swiftly it was his foot steps but they were much slower this time making sure that he did not spill the bucket of water and that he brought along with wooden cups for each of them to drink from.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImage

Cali watched Iuldir run off, and nodded in reply to Fuin. "Yes, I know." She smiled faintly. "He is so eager to show he can do this, I fear he will tire himself out too easily. Still, it's better that he spend his energy here, rather than in causing mischief." She added, a little amused. "But I'm very proud of him, he's doing quite well, I think." She added with a small smile. "Honestly, I don't know what his poor mother did before I came along to help her." She paused, then added, as an explanation, "She was widowed shortly after Iuldir's sister was born... it's been rather hard for her, I know."

She blinked at Fuin, a little surprised by the compliment. "Thank you." She hesitated. "People purchased the goods well enough... when they believed it was my father who made them. But... he's gone now. They wouldn't..accept that I had made these things, and they wouldn't believe that I could have made any of the things that I did." She sighed softly, then added, "I can keep going for a while yet, but I will be sure to speak up if I need a rest." She assured her.

After wiping her forehead again, Cali glanced up toward the loft, thinking to check on Rissy, and was surprised to see her watching from the top, a bit sleepy-looking, but also wide eyed in fascination at the stranger who had joined them during her nap. Cali smiled up at the little girl, then turned to Iuldir as he returned. Taking one of the cups, she drank deeply from the water, enjoying the cool, refreshing liquid. "Thank you, Iuldir. Would you like to help your sister down from the loft, so she can meet our guest?" She asked, knowing how little Rissy must be very curious. Looking back at Fuin, she asked, "Is that alright with you?"

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

She smiled and nodded thought this… This made her nervous, she was not normally one to get along well with small children, not that the children minded her she just was never entirely sure if she was going to hurt the child or not. “She is quite quiet for someone her age!” Fuin said with a chuckle, “I didn’t even hear her get up and move about, as quiet as a hobbit I’d dare say. And they can sneak along almost silently even to elves.” She said looking up at the little girl as Iuldir climbed up to get her. Soon they were both on their way down and the little girl quite possibly got even more wide eyes as she was brought nearer and nearer Fuin. Indeed Fuin was much taller than anyone she’d seen in a long time, almost 6 inches taller than Cali and she crouched down so that she was closer to the little girls height.

“Suil little one.” She said softly and the little girl reached out and gave a tug at her ear making Fuin laugh. “Yes they are attached.” She said and gently took the little girls hand off of her ear. Motioning to Cali that it was alright that she wasn’t upset at the reaction. “You don’t get to see elves very often do you?” She asked softly and got a shake of her head. Fuin took off the thick leather glove and straightened up a bit of the little girls mussed hair, “You little one are probably what’s going to get me caught when my husband arrives looking for me.” She said with a smile, “You’ll look at him with those big eyes and probably sell me out for a wink.” She laughed the little girl tilted her head at that not entirely understanding what Fuin was saying but still reaching for her ears, stunned that they were real it seemed.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage
Calithildis (Cali), Iuldir, and Iorissel

Cali smiled slightly. "She's only quiet because she's still a little sleepy." She explained, watching with amusement. "Wait til she's awake and asking you a million questions." She knew her niece well, and also knew she was capable of getting underfoot. The little girl loved animals and would probably soon be running off to try and catch bunnies or look for turtles or something like that. When she was properly awake, it could sometimes be hard to keep up with her. "We're going to be working with hot metal soon, so you need to stay back, alright Rissy?"

"Alright." Rissy said, not taking her eyes off the elf lady. "Your ears like the kitty's ears." She told her, grinning. "Wanna see the kitties?" She pointed up to the loft, where she had just come from. "They cute and soft."

Iuldir rolled his eyes. "We're making stuff now Rissy, you can show her the kittens later. We have important smith stuff to do, now." He took his sister's hand and led her a safe distance away. "You stay here, don't get too close, you might get burned." He paused, then added, "Maybe if we get done with this soon, we'll make you something, alright? But you have to be really good."

Rissy lit up at that, smiling. "What you make for me?" She wondered, eager for fun new toys.

Iuldir paused, glancing at Cali and Fuin uncertainly. "What could we make for her? Something not too difficult?"

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

She smiled as the little girl asked if she wanted to see the kitties , her older brother however wanted to do smithing stuff and she smiled and nodded. “We’ll look at them later.” She said with a smile indeed she enjoyed cats though she didn’t have any of her own there were always a few prowling in Imladris to make sure there weren’t any mice. Fuin frowned slightly a toy? There weren't too many toys that were good for a little girl like Rissy that could be forged, she was perhaps four thought so she could have smaller items but a nail puzzle like Rada had once had was likely too advanced for her to actually see it as a toy,

"We could make some metal dice" Fuin said with a bit of a shrug, it would be something she could make games up with and roll and do things with and if they wanted to be creative they could colour the dots representing the numbers and she could learn to count to six with them. Probably something her mother wouldn't mind entirely. "There aren't a toddler safe toys one can make at a smithy that won't be complex and long in the making."

With that it was time once again to work having finished her drink of water and everyone seemed to be ready to go once more and so was after this long the metal was as well. She pulled the metal from the forge and they began the same process once more of stretching the short metal ingot out until it was the right length, and heated it again so that they could put it through the form.

Fuin kept a close eye on Iuldir who recognized it was his time to work again right away when the form came out, he had both hands on his tongs and was ready his face set in such determination that he was going to do this that she honestly hoped that he did.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage

Cali focused on the work, while also keeping one eye on Rissy. The little girl watched them for a while, then got a little bored and started twirling around, off to the side where they told her it was safe, humming a little and apparently 'dancing'. So long as she didn't get too close to the forge, Cali didn't really mind what she did. The rhythmic sound of the hammer striking the metal rang through the air, and she could've sworn the little girl was making it into a melody of sorts, to dance to.
"Hm..." Cali considered the dice idea, having a few of her own ideas running through her head. "She's liable to lose something small like dice.. or put them in her mouth, perhaps? I'm not sure." She considered. "Perhaps something for her doll would be nice?"
"We could make armor for it!" Iuldir grinned.
Cali laughed. "Or, perhaps, a little toy knight in shining armor, to rescue the fair damsel?" She suggested, thinking of what games little girls might play. "Or a small teaset... we could make one piece here, another piece there... draw it out over time." She considered that idea, thinking of ways to further bribe the child into keeping the secret...

She smiled a bit as she kept thinking of more ideas, noting how well focused Iuldir was as he worked. When the rod was finally done, she was rather impressed by how identical it looked to the first one. "You did a very good job, Iuldir." She hastily caught Rissy as she came running up to see, and held her back from anything hot. "I didn't hear anyone say it was safe, did you?" She asked Rissy.
"I wanna see!" She said, standing on tiptoe to try and see the rod. "What're you making?"
"Something to make little girls ask questions." Cali told her with a smile.
"I wanna show kitties now," Rissy looked up, grinning. "Can Ilder get them?"
"We will, but later, Rissy. We don't want the kitties to get burned, do we? Why don't you go and play upstairs with the kitties for a while and then when we're finished, you can show them to Fuin?"

Rissy considered this plan, then nodded. "Alright." She giggled as Cali lifted her up and put her on her shoulders, taking her up to the loft again. Once she was up there, she ran to go and find the kittens as Cali climbed back down. "That should hopefully occupy her for a while..."

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

"I didn't mean small dice." Fuin said with a laugh "no that would be ill advised no I was thinking of big ones the size of a chicken egg or so but square, harder to lose and honestly. if she can get them IN her mouth well she should probably be looked at in regards to that. She might be part snake." Fuin did tilt her head at the idea of a teaset... that could work a nice tiny one made from the cut offs of the spokes they were making flattened out. "A teaset could work we could probably make a wee cup today for her or a saucer both would be pretty quick to make though they woudn't be terribly fancy."

Fuin was quite impressed with Iuldir as he managed to get the second rod for the spoke finished without issue. She was fairly certain his little arms would be absolutely exhausted now, and she was worried a third rod would be far too much for him. Of course Rissy came rushing over to see and Cali had to catch her and give her a gentle scolding about the dangers. Using the kitties as an example.

Fuin stood back and let Cali carry the little one back up to the loft to play with the kitties and looked at Iuldir. “You sure have worked really hard today already, I know some elves that wouldn’t be able to work as long as you have.” She said calmly, deciding perhaps if she gave him high praise he’d know that she thought he did excellent with his work and could take a break. “Do you want to take a break on this next one and let your aunt hold the tongs and you can just keep an eye out in case she’s too busy hammering to notice a possible bend in the metal?” She didn’t want to tell him that he couldn’t do something but she did know that he had to be getting near the limit of what his young body could manage if it weren’t for the flash fire that came licking up she’d let him quench the rod before putting it in the forge edge to harden but that was not something that she could risk. After all she was not going to explain to a boys mother that she let him do something and he got badly burnt!

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage

Iuldir grinned at the praise, very glad he had managed to do such a good job with his part. Fuin was right though, he was very tired and did want to rest. To hear her say that some elves wouldn't be able to do as well was very surprising, and he considered for a moment before nodding. "Alright, I guess I could use a break," He said, not wanting to admit he really, really wanted to rest for a while. "I like all those ideas. Dice would be fun, we could come up with games. But Rissy does like to play tea with her dolls and animals, and I bet that'd be quicker to make, wouldn't it? Easier, right?" He suggested. "Could I help make it, if we do that?" He asked hopefully, eager to get the chance to make more things.

"That sounds like a good plan," Cali said to Fuin, returning. "I've also suggested that Rissy could look out the window and watch for your mother, “ she added to Iuldir. “I've sort of lost track of time, and I don't know how much longer before she'll be coming home." Then, back to Fuin, she added, "Ivornith doesn't..know, um, that we have the forge operational again..." She explained, a bit awkward. "We... thought it best to keep quiet about that." She glanced at Iuldir, then back at Fuin. "I think we should have time for a few other bars, at least... then we might need to take a break for a while, anyway.. you're welcome to join us for supper though, if you'd like."

She knew it was likely to be a few hours, at least, but she had meant to keep a closer eye on what time it was getting to be. Ivornith didn't always come home at the same time, of course; she had multiple jobs, in multiple places, and some took longer than others and some were further or closer than others. Thankfully, since Cali had been here, the burden of earning money wasn't resting fully on Ivornith's shoulders. Cali had been helping Iuldir learn to make simple things that he could then sell, claiming to have learned from his grandfather enough to make those things on his own(which was sort of true; Cali had learned from him, and Iuldir was learning from her, therefore it was his grandfather's knowledge that he was using). In that way, the little family had begun to do better than barely scraping by.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

Fuin nodded and gave Iuldir a pat on the shoulder as he agreed that he could use a break. She had no doubt that he would be stubborn and proud if she’d suggested it straight out that he might be tired. They would figure out which to do for Rissy once they were closer to done based on how much time they had left before his mother arrived based on what Cali had just said. She nodded as Cali suggested that they do a few more and then have supper.

The two of them worked at a good pace hammering out rods of steel to make the spokes until they had finished up enough of the bars to complete one whole wheel Fuin was pleased with what they had managed to get finished. Fuin grabbed a slip of metal that was pretty thin and tossed it in the forge, knowing that the little girl had been promised a toy. The fastest thing to make would be a saucer Fuin decided. with how thin the metal was it was hot very quickly and with several quick blows Fuin had it rounded out so that she could flatten it quickly two hard strikes and she had a flat disk not terribly thick and not terribly big however it wasn't very saucer shaped so Fuin moved it to the hole in the anvil that one could slid tools into and hit the metal disk into it causing part of it to push into the round hole and the rest to flatten out further. She picked up a smaller hammer and hit it a few more time leaving a ring in the middle of it pushed down and poured oil on top of it to quench it making it pop out of the anvil like a kernel of corn over heat. She caught it with her gloved hand and tossed it in the oil quench to finish cooling and looked at Cali and shrugged. "Don't do that, that was something very dumb and I only get away with it because I've been doing this for over an Age." She said calmly. She hoped Iuldir hadn't seen her little feat either that would be bad. Several minutes later she was pulled the plate and quickly polished and buffed it it was made out of iron so it would eventually rust but it would last for a good long while before that would happen as Fuin took a file to the edges of the plate making sure they were perfectly smooth with no burrs that could hurt the little girl.

She was happy to hang up the apron it had been a lot of work even for her as she’d been kept in the House of Healing not allowed to do nearly so much labour. Walking hadn’t even been allowed for close to a month to get her leg to heal. Indeed even for her this had been a long day, especially with her one leg wounded not that long ago cut deeply, she could feel the ache in it more than she could her arms though they had had quite the work out today as well

“Will she not be curious as to why there is an elf randomly at your house?” Fuin asked also very curious how Cali managed to keep the four year old from talking about what they did in the forge, that was a miracle as far as she was concerned - but honestly figured it had something to do with the toy that she had been promised today for behaving, she finished putting away the gloves as well having a feeling they were important to the family before she headed up to the loft with Cali to see the kitties and bring Rissy down for supper. Fuin did wonder if more people knew than Cali knew - after all forge work did tend to leave one with a certain smell…and it did tend to leave coal dust on one as well.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage

Cali took another long drink of water once they had reached a pausing point. She watched as Fuin quickly made the little saucer, and was rather impressed at the little move, which Fuin told her not to repeat. Cali smiled faintly, nodding, and glanced to see if her nephew had seen. He was busy hanging up his apron, thankfully. "I think it's time to go wash up, Iuldir." She informed her nephew, then smiled a little at Fuin at the question about Ivornith. "Let her wonder." She said, with the briefest glint of mischievousness flashing in her eyes, before turning away to take off her own apron and gloves, and then the glimmer of the Cali her friends once knew was gone again.

"Actually," She mentioned, more seriously, "I have an idea to explain all of this..." She mentioned thoughtfully. "She obviously doesn't know about me doing any of this... but suppose we tell her of your being a smith, and that you had offered to teach Iuldir some things.. then we could let her know a little bit, and thus, begin to include her in the plan to get the chair to Caeleb once it's finished." She posed her thoughts to Fuin as they went to the loft to get Rissy, and so that the little girl could show Fuin her beloved kittens. They were a litter of six, all very frisky little furballs that enjoyed playing and were very affectionate, due to Rissy constantly playing with and cuddling them. Their mother was equally friendly, and insisted upon having as much petting and attention as the kittens were given.

Convincing the little girl that the kitties needed to stay in the loft was a bit of a chore, but finally they brought the child down without the kittens, and Cali led Fuin to a wash basin she had set up out here, so a person could wash away the traces of the forge before going to the house. "Ivornith ought to be here any moment, I suppose. I need to go and start supper... I imagine she'll be rather tired." Cali didn't mention how tired she was, because Ivornith wasn't supposed to know about that. "I'll go on ahead. Iuldir, you show Fuin to the house once she's washed, alright?" She took Rissy and headed to the house.

Iuldir nodded. “Yes ma’am.” He replied, having cleaned up as best he could. After she’d gone he smiled at Fuin. “Thank you for helping. I bet that would’ve taken me and aunt Cali a lot longer time to do by ourselves.” He said, very excited about the project being done sooner. "I can't wait till Caeleb sees it!"

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

The elf snorted at Cali’s suggestion about offering to teach Iuldir it was a good one but it didn’t go far enough. “Why don’t we say I offered to teach both of you?” She said looking Cali dead in the eye. “That way you can forge as well in your own home in front of her without it being a secret. That and if she says why, I can say I needed a second person with a bit more strength to swing a hammer with me since I taught your forebearers and I know you're skill is as good if not better than many a man in Gondor already.” She said before they went up to the loft pet all the kitties and tell them they were all beautiful. She wanted to make Cali think on this, after all she had smithing in her blood and she seemed far happier smithing, carrying on her fathers legacy and remembering her brothers though it. For the moment though she had the job of making Rissy giggle as she presented each one to her until she had her arms full of squirming baby felines. “I’m Queen Beruthiel” Fuin joked as Cali gathered Rissy up and Fuin went to put the baby kittens away and give their attention craving mother a thorough scritching behind the ears which earned Fuin the loudest purr she'd heard in a long while.

Fuin went to wash up hoping that Cali was thinking about what she had said, she needed to get out of the secret she'd delved into to protect... well she wasn't sure who she was protecting or why by doing what she was doing.. She wasn’t sure what Cali would say to her suggestion but she absolutely did want to plant the seed in her head as well as Iuldir’s mother’s that Cali should be smithing, and openly. She patted her face and arms dry and looked at Iuldir who was to take her to see the house.

Fuin smiled at Iuldir. “I am glad that I could help make that chair much faster for you two and Caeleb. It seems like something he’s going really enjoy when we can finally get it to him.” She said as they headed along the house seemed small and modest, but definitely several steps up from how she had found their ancestor years ago and it made her happy for these… these were entirely theirs and a small smile crept to her face though the young boy had no idea why she would be so happy to see such a small modest home.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage

Cali was deeply thoughtful about what Fuin had said, as she took Rissy to the house ahead of the others, and got started on supper. It was strange to think of letting anyone else know of her secret work in the forge. She'd gone so long now, keeping it secret, fearing to let anyone know... maybe she ought to try and explain to Fuin why she had started in the first place. The details behind it were still a little raw and painful in her heart, but perhaps if the elf knew, she would understand a little better.

Then again, letting the secret out now wasn't quite the same as before, she realized. It couldn't hurt her father any, after all, and she needn't tell anyone that she had been the one doing all the work for him, those last few years. His reputation could stay intact as Cali built up her own now. And Ivornith would, eventually, have to find out that Iuldir was learning to smith, else he would be trapped having to forever keep it a secret as well. She may have already begun to suspect, but if she had, she hadn't let on. Cali wondered about it as she listened to Rissy play with her dolly.

Rissy came up and tugged on Cali's skirt. "When I get new dolly*?" She wondered. "Rosie wants a friend."
Cali smiled a little. "Very soon. You just keep on keeping our secret and you'll get the new dolly as soon as I can get a chance, alright? I've not been able to go and find one yet."
"Did you make anything for me?" She wondered.
"I didn't, but Fuin did, you'll have to ask her about it." She told her, which made her squeal in excitement at the thought of some new toy to play with.

Iuldir seemed to have a reserve store of energy as he skipped and hopped up the path toward the house, excited to introduce his mother to an elf when she got home. "I hope I can be there when Caeleb sees it for the first time! He's going to be so surprised!" He grinned. "And Dina will love it too, I think she gets tired of having to stay in his room whenever she wants to keep him company. She could take him outside, now! And still read to him or whatever." He grinned. "And then maybe his sister won't be such a pain, and Toby and me can visit him outside maybe..." He tried to imagine how things might change for his friend once he had the chair.

(*New doll was gotten for Rissy in the RP in the Pelennor, Carpe Diem)

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

Fuin laughed how could this child possibly have this much strength left? Cali and her had worked him hard, holding tongs and keeping an eye on something might not seem much of a strain to most but tongs were heavy and he was young and not use to the work. Hours of holding them? That was a lot to ask of someone his size and age. She knew full grown men that would not be able to do it.

“Yes I am quite certain he will absolutely love it as will Dina.” She said as they finally made it to the door of the house and the slipped in quietly. Fuin turned looking towards Minas Tirith knowing that Afarfin would be coming to find her sooner or later and she searched for him far off on the horizon beyond where any mortal could see, she caught sight of a wagon coming and could see two people on it just leaving Pelargir and knew that it was him though she wasn’t sure who was with him they both had hoods up, but she could catch wisps of his golden hair in the breeze as she stared far off into the distance watching, trying to figure out how long she had, certain that he was looking off to see if he could see here too. On horse riding hard it was a over a full days ride, she figured she had a few days with him on a wagon.

Iuldir tugged at her arm worried as she had seemed to be caught in a thought looking off not seeming to be paying attention to the world at all.

“Are you okay?” He asked a bit concerned at the strange behaviour. She shook her head blinking a few times.

“Sorry was just looking to the horizon to see what I could.” She said and followed the boy into the house.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Iuldir and Ivornith
At a small homestead on the outskirts of Dol Amroth

Iuldir glanced out to try and see whatever Fuin had been looking at, but he saw nothing out on the far horizon. Then, looking a lot closer to home, he spotted his mother making her way up the path. "Mother's home!" He called happily into the house. He ran back out to meet her, stopping to greet her as they met. Asking how her day went, he took her basket and carried it for her as they returned to the house together, listening as she answered him with a few brief stories of things that happened during the day. Iuldir managed to be patient and listen to a couple of these before he couldn't contain his excitement any longer, and began to tell her about his own day, as much as he could without breaking secrets.

As they came in through the door, he was excitedly telling her about their elven guest who had come along, asking if she could stay for a little while. For now, he left out that she was a smith and had been helping with a project, unsure whether Cali wanted to tell about that part just yet. As soon as they got inside the house, he practically dragged her over to Fuin, grinning excitedly as he introduced them. "Mother, this is Lady Fuin," He told her. "And this is my mother, Ivornith Dringolben." He told Fuin, very proud to be able to introduce his mother to an elf, and trying hard to remember how to properly go about introductions.

Ivornith was a bit startled by all of this being thrust upon her, weary after a long day's work, to come home and have her son tell her they had a guest and then immediately be introduced before she'd had a chance to fully take it all in. She hardly had a moment to process the news before she was face-to-face with the lady elf. Having no idea whether this elf might be someone of great importance, possibly even royalty, she felt quite unsure how to greet her, but tried to be as polite and formal as she knew how, though quite mystified about why they had such a guest.

"It is a great honor to meet you, lady Fuin," she answered softly with a curtsy, as she might have done as a housekeeper greeting a nobleman or lady of importance. She hesitated, a little unsure how to exactly to speak to such a guest. "My son tells me you have asked to stay here for a few days. You are welcome, of course, for as long as you wish to stay. Though, if I may I ask, what brings you to such a..humble home as ours?" She couldn't help wondering, and hoped it wasn't too forward of her to inquire into the matter.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Fuin smiled kindly, “It is an honor to be welcomed so kindly into your home, I do apologize I know you must be tired from work all day, please no need to curtsy or anything like that.” Fuin said holding her hand out. "I am no Lady, though my husband is an elven Lord I've never taken on the role of Lady, I am far too ignoble for that you are welcome to simply call me Fuin." Fuin was hoped that this poor woman did not feel the need to entertain her or over stretch herself to make Fuin feel like some noble woman.

"As for why I am at your humble home... I was traveling and happenstance informed me that this is the house of Dringolben as your son, has so fantastically pointed out once more with your introduction. You've taught him brilliant manners." Fuin said with a smile "Your last name is quite familiar to me, though it was more so years ago I must admit. " She looked at Cali seeing what lead she should take from the exceptionally secretive smith. After all while she thought she should air her secret so that she could breath more freely it was something that Cali needed to decide to do. And if she chose not to well, Fuin wondered if she would mind if Fuin made it so that Iuldir could live his life freely in terms of learning smithing.

Of course Fuin could see from her short visit that the house was in minor disrepair, nothing that couldn't be fixed with a bit of extra time, something that she doubted Ivornith or Cali had much of noting how her comment about their humble home. Indeed how many elves of any sort went wandering about Gondor? Probably few that weren't related or knew the Queen, though Fuin knew Arwen the two of them had ever become what Fuin even acquaintances, they simply knew of each other.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage
Calithildis (Cali), Ivornith, Iuldir, and Iorissel

Ivornith smiled a little as she was assured she needn't be so formal. "Thank you. I hope you will enjoy your time in Dol Amroth." She paused, hearing her mention that the name Dringolben was well known to her. “Is it?” Ivornith asked, surprised that her husband’s family name would be known to the elf. “I knew that my husband’s family were well known for their skill, but I had no idea they would have drawn the attention of the elves." She found it quite impressive, and wished he were here to hear about it as well. It saddened her, but continued on, "You are welcome to stay here as long as you like, of course.” Still, she couldn't help feeling rather self-conscious about the state of the house. Hopefully, it wouldn't rain while their guest was here...

"The table is set," Cali said, poking her head in from the next room. "And Rissy did a wonderful job helping me, too." She added, then paused, in time to hear Fuin's last comment, and catch her looking at her. She guessed she might want Cali to speak up, but she couldn't. And anyway, now was not the right time at all. Turning to her sister in law, she added, "I've invited Fuin to join us for supper." She hoped this would not bother Ivornith, though knew she wouldn't protest if it did. Cali hesitated as they came to the table, and glanced at Fuin, still thinking about the things she'd said before Cali left the forge. "Fuin knew the first smith of our family, a long time ago." She mentioned quietly, unsure exactly how to begin. But she did want Iuldir to have a chance to learn openly at last. Perhaps then, he could do more and provide more income for the family without having to make up excuses for where he got the bits of money he gave his mother now and then.

Further surprised, Ivornith stopped and looked at Fuin, then back at Cali, eyes widening slightly at that. "That must have been...quite a long time ago. Hasn't your family been smiths for many, many generations?" She asked, then looked back at Fuin, further amazed and impressed. She paused, a little sad as something else occurred to her. "I'm sorry to say that..the line of smiths seems to have ended with the death of my father-in-law, for his three sons all preceded him in death." She informed her sadly. "My son was too young to have had a chance to learn anything from his grandfather." She added regretfully, unaware of Iuldir squirming in his seat, nearly bursting at the seams to keep from spilling the secret. "I suppose it is sad for you to hear that, having known the first Dringolben smith."
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

Fuin sat at the table , indeed the house was in need of some repairs, but it had once been nice she could tell that as it was in need of repairs but not beyond hope yet. Perhaps she would tell her husband when he showed up to help the women and she’d head back to the House of Healing on the cart he was on with whoever. She hoped it wasn’t the mother of Cali, that in itself would be…interesting. She was hoping that it was Matilda she was quite fond of the young nurse even if she did tease her and Ian mercilessly. She had smiled at Ivornith when the woman had questioned how an elf had known that about their skills however… Cali was the one to spill that secret and Fuin could not help but wonder if she would be brave.

When she didn't Fuin was still proud of her for now that was a good start to her at least talkin about smiths probably something that wasn't overly done at the table “Hmmm. Cali is only speaking part of the truth there I’m afraid.” Fuin said with a nod agreeing that indeed it would be sad if what Ivornith said was true - Fuin knew the secret and it was sad that she didn't. Fuin was certain that the woman wouldn't have issue with Cali smithing but that was not her secret to lay bare as much as she may want to.

She could though, help make sure that Iuldir did not have to suffer in a shadow without letting Cali's secret out, “When I said the name was well known to me… it is because I taught the first in your husbands line to smith and gave them that name, almost three hundred year ago.” Fuin said with a small smile. “She was quite the handful to teach, but she was brilliant and resilient to get to where shew as when I started to teach her.” Fuin said casually as if it was no secret that the first blacksmith of the family had been a woman. This of course would hint at Iuldir being able to learn still the same way the family had learned before, Fuin had not missed the squirming of Iuldir and figured he would want to tell his mother the news since that was something he could do.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage
Dringolben Residence, on the outskirts of Dol Amroth

Cali kept quiet, watching Ivornith's reaction and feeling a little nervous about the idea of revealing some of these secrets to her sister-in-law, unsure how she might react. But it was better, she supposed, to test this out on her first, before the rest of the world. If Cali ever did come out with her secret, her family ought to be the first to know, after all. And if she could gain their support... but it was Iuldir who was to share first, not Cali. She wanted him to have his moment, to let his mother know of his intentions and plans, and then she could work on her own.

Ivornith nodded slightly as Fuin spoke of having taught the first Dringolben, then paused, catching the 'she' in that sentence. "She?" Ivornith looked a bit questioningly at Fuin, but didn't have a chance to ask about that, though it was a surprise to hear such an implication, that a woman had begun the smith generations. Something which Dawion had never mentioned, and probably hadn't known, himself. Before she could inquire into that any further, Iuldir had burst out with some news of great excitement to him.

All while the adults were talking, Iuldir looked from Cali to Fuin, eagerly wishing SOMEONE would mention that he was actually already learning the smithing trade. When neither of them did, he finally couldn't take it anymore, despite having been told frequently that 'children should be seen and not heard' when adults were talking. "Fuin is going to teach me how to smith, mother! So I can be as good as father, someday, and grandfather.. maybe better than both of them!"

Startled, Ivornith glanced at her son, then back at Fuin. "Isn't he..too young?" She asked, a bit worried as she glanced again at her son, and suddenly wondered what that might involve... would he have to leave home for this training? She worried about that as she looked at Cali next, fearful of having to lose her little boy, even for a little while. Still, if he were to learn a trade, it would help the family, and he would be better able to provide for himself once he was grown, and it would be one less dependent for her to worry about. But her little boy.. leaving home? She didn't know if she could handle that.

"Dawion began helping our father when he was a little bit younger than Iuldir is now." Cali mentioned quietly, trying to alleviate Ivornith's worries on that matter. "So did Berthion, and..Ryn." She was careful to keep her emotions in check as she named her brothers. She left out herself, for she was certainly much younger than any of them when she began 'learning', though that was only in the form of asking relentless questions and watching what the men did. She was still trying to decide whether to tell Fuin a bit more about her brothers, but if she did, it would certainly be later, if she got a chance to speak in private with the elf.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

She could see the question in Ivorniths eyes as Fuin mentioned the first smith was a woman and looked like she was going to ask more questions which Fuin hoped she would as she saw Cali looked afraid though she was hiding it much better than Fuin thought she would. Sadly Iuldir broke into the conversation a bit earlier than she had been thinking he would with how excited he was. She couldn't blame him and a smile tugged at her lips as she leaned back, she nodded with Cali as she mentioned her brothers. Indeed in a smithing family children did tend to start learning when they were young especially as Ivornith seemed shocked at her son being able to learn already.

“Yes I am going to teach him, he won’t be doing anything to crazy for a while, I promise. But he's old enough now to get started on learning to run the bellows and strengthen up his arms and practice building a coal fire and doing small projects and learning about metals and how to heat and work them without jumping straight to making swords and armor and expensive heavy things.” Fuin said calmly. "In a few months he could even begin making items that he could likely sell to people that will need them which may help the family a bit though I can't, honestly guarantee that obviously." Fuin said calmly. It didn't even cross her mind that Ivornith might be thinking she'd take him away from home.

“I am also not sailing west for some time yet so he’ll have plenty of time to learn and grow more before we get to him having to do difficult things though he came up with quite the interesting idea he told me about today for something to make.” She said calmly hoping to bring up the chair that Cali and Iuldir had told her about to his mother in order to hopefully get the chair to the boy.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage

"I see..." Ivornith frowned thoughtfully, glancing at her son, noticing how excited he looked, and hesitated. "Where would he be learning all of this?" She wondered, a little unsure about this. Would she take him far away? She knew he was old enough to be away from her, but he was her baby boy, regardless, and he had only ever been as far away as Minas Tirith, for only a week or so at a time... She glanced at her son as Fuin mentioned he'd had an idea. "What idea is that?" She asked Iuldir, further worried about what sort of scheme he had been working on... thinking of all the wild schemes he'd come up with in the past.

Cali quietly listened, halfway wanting to mention that she had already been teaching him for some time now, but she couldn't bring herself to say it. She kept her gaze down as Iuldir excitedly told his mother about the wheelchair idea for Caeleb. Cali took this time to quietly help Rissy with her food, noticing the little child having a bit of trouble with her fork.

Ivornith listened, but frowned slightly, rather than becoming as excited as her son. She took a moment, trying to think of the best way to put this.. "I.. think that it IS a nice idea, and it is certainly thoughtful of you..." She said at last, carefully. "But I...I don't think Lord Eglathor is going to agree on the matter." She added. "And you seem to have forgotten that he forbade you from seeing Caeleb again."

"But with this, he wouldn't have to stay in his room all the time!" Iuldir argued. "He wouldn't be so lonely, and he could have a lot of friends! And anyway, I wouldn't be the one taking it to him..."
"And who would be? I hope you don't expect me to present the idea. You nearly cost me my job the last time you got involved in this matter." She frowned. "I know you mean well, Iuldir, but... it isn't up to you how they take care of their son, and you must learn not to argue with your elders."
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

Fuin gave a smile, “For the time being I can teach him enough here in the forge on your land, he’s already shown it to me with Cali making sure that we didn’t burn the place down. And I’ve run a few tests on it, so it does still work, as I will be in Minas Tirith for some time so the first bit shall be slow but eventually I should be free to do as I wish entirely soon.” She said calmly, this way the forge - if Iuldirs mother went into it wouldn’t be strangely in working order and clean with items forge - Fuin had admitted to using it already, “I will admit I showed him a thing or two already, and I feel like he’ll be making small projects on his own in no time at all.” She said calmly, indeed she could get Iuldir out of the shadow if secrecy fast, Cali, well. She glanced at Cali, all Fuin could do was shine a guiding light.

Ivornith didn’t seem terribly excited about the wheelchair, and if anything railed against it. Iuldir made a fine argument for a child but this was not a fight that he could win and Fuin knew it an put out her hand as Iuldir prepared to argue with his mother to shush him so she could take over the argument. “I was hoping to help with that actually in terms of bringing the chair up to them.” Fuin said calmly. “I don’t think it would be wise for you, I’ve dealt with nobles before, and they are generally less than kind to hired help making suggestions I’ve found.” Fuin had been thinking on this for a while. “I will be needing to return to Minas Tirith soon but my husband should be arriving mostly to send me back there but in all good marriages the head must go where the neck turns it.” Fuin said with a chuckle. “He is a Noldo, and a proper elven Lord of old as I said before even if I am no proper lady. While you do not need to worry about treating him as such he does know how to act the part quite well and knowing him he'll be dressed well enough that no noble man would be able to tell he isn't dressed in true elven noble finery. Heis most certainly the sort that this Lord Eglathor will respect and possibly even want to impress when he acts like the pomp he is. We simply need a reason for my husband to visit the noble, and my husband will likely be given a tour of the manor, as that is a custom with nobles, and my husband is sharp and will know that they are hiding something, he did not survive the War of Sudden Flames being a dullard.” Fuin said calmly. “He can suggest the wheeled chair for the boy, a status symbol to have the latest technology only recently put into use in Minas Tirith to help the boy with mobility - that his wife a proper lady has even used, and even state that he knows where to get one that will be expertly made.” Indeed, Fuin knew the nobles of Dol Amroth well, having traded there for supplies for her own manor up the coast though she didn’t bother sharing that information with anyone at this point.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage

Ivornith listened, a little astonished as Fuin laid out a plan that was quite well-thought out. Iuldir, off to the side, began grinning a bit and watched his mother, hoping she'd change her opinion now. As Fuin explained her idea, Ivornith considered the angles, and nodded slowly. "It seems you have it all planned." She hesitated, glancing at Iuldir. "Perhaps it will work... only, please do not mention that it was his idea. I'm afraid he..made rather a bad impression on the boy's father." She said with a Look at her son, which made Iuldir fidget a little.

"I was only trying to stick up for Caeleb." He mumbled.
"Insinuating that the man is a bad parent is not the best way to help your friend." She pointed out gently. Turning back to Fuin, she considered the other proposal. "You would teach him here?" She asked in surprise, feeling relieved by that news. "I have no objection to that, then, so long as he's safe... the forge is..safe? I.. I haven't been in there since..my husband was alive." She admitted, a bit saddened. "I imagine he did make it well enough to last a long time, though."

"It seemed safe enough. I was there with them," Cali put in quietly. "The building is sound, and Dawion built it to last many years. In fact, I think my father may have come and helped him build it, if I remember right." She had been so young then, Dawion being much older than her, but she did remember coming to visit here when Dawion was building the place, and she and Ryn had even helped carry supplies for the men as they worked. She had been quite excited, she remembered, getting to see the forge being built and even helping with the clay. Though it had felt more like playing, at the time, and she recalled how she and Ryn had made funny shapes out of the clay and ended up with it all over themselves.
Last edited by Rillewen on Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

“Indeed, I will make sure my husband leaves out Iuldirs name entirely.” She said with a chuckle, while she might agree with the boy sadly a child telling an adult off rarely got the reaction that was wanted even if it was more often than not the absolute honest truth. Indeed often if she wanted an honest opinion on something she’d find a child as much as she was not one for raising kids or being around especially young ones they had a gift of honestly. If a child told you something was ugly, it was ugly. If it was wrong morally, a child would be the first to say it wasn’t fair while the adults hummed and hawwed about it.

“Indeed the forge is safe, I assume Cali will be alright watching Iuldir to make sure he doesn’t burn himself or the such when I am in Minas Tirith between lessons.” Fuin said looking at Cali another opening for her to say something or simply agree, “and while I know apprenticeships normally have some cost to them, Cali and Iuldir were master negotiators, and have already gotten me to agree to and paid for the apprenticeship fees so you need not worry about paying for any lessons at all.” Fuin said with a smile. “Perhaps next time I come I shall bring my bow and I will take Iuldir rabbit hunting and some other staples like flour and honey with me so I am not a drain on your larder either, though” Fuin looked at Cali and Ivornith. She doubted that they would feel this was necessary, the might even try to argue with her on it similar to how Cala would have for certain.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage

Cali glanced at Fuin, then nodded to Ivornith. "I know... enough about the forge to keep an eye on him," She agreed, still reluctant to come right out and tell her how much she really knew. "He should be safe enough." She took a moment to wipe Rissy's face when she got a little messy, then, hearing the bit about 'master negotiators' she barely held back from a snort in laughter. She managed, barely, and glanced up with a glint of amusement. "I suppose I learned a great deal while I worked in father's shop, selling his wares." She said wryly, then shaking her head, she turned to focus on her own food for a moment.

"What price?" Ivornith wondered, a little uneasy about that thought, glancing from Fuin, to Iuldir, to Cali, but the latter two made no reply. Iuldir grinned but kept quiet.
"Don't worry about that," Cali told her with a small smile. "It's paid, that's all you need worry about."
Iuldir looked curiously at Fuin, at the talk of rabbit hunting and such.
"Oh.. that won't be necessary," Ivornith protested, surprised. "Your offer to teach my son is enough. You needn't put yourself to any more trouble on our account."

"I don't think she would offer if she minded, Ivornith." Cali pointed out, softly. "As she said, the first smith of our family was a friend of hers. Perhaps..it's for her sake, that she wants to teach Iuldir, and help us." She glanced at Fuin, actually wishing she could hear more about this Calaerdis, but decided to hold off on asking until some later time. It seemed that Fuin was going to be around a good deal from now on; she'd have plenty of time to ask about her ancestor another time.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

Fuin laughed as Ivornith protested her offer to hunt and bring stores for the winter. Just wait until she found out that her husband on top of the task of getting the chair to be ‘accepted’ by the Lord, was going to be told to help out around their homestead as they needed before coming back to Minas Tirith. The head follows what the neck says, not that in her family there was any true head to it. Her perhaps??? She was the one that had lived in Middle-earth the longest but her family for the most part did what they wanted when they wanted.

“I see that Cala’s descendants married those of a similar mind to her about the necessity of troubling myself.” She shook her head and sat up right. “I am afraid dear woman, that I am old enough I can ignore you utterly on that front and not feel bad about it at all, but I thank you for your thought as a host.”

“And indeed, part of why I am willing to help is that many years ago I found a stubborn girl who wanted to smith, and we became close friends. The last time I really came to Gondor for any extended period of time was for her passing many many years ago when her little brother let me know that she was going to pass. I do miss her, I have kept some track of the forges here, but the grief of losing such a good friend made it hard to return.” Fuin said with a sad smile. “At least I can not threaten you the way I threatened her, by the end I told her every time she complained about the price of something I got for her or her brother that was not necessary, I would by a tart and feed it to her brother. How he did not become as big as a horse on sweets I do not know, but she never did actually stop.” Fuin said with a chuckle. She would not push further on Cali and her secret since she had given her a few openings and she had not taken them.

Perhaps later or another day.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage

Cali smiled faintly, again wondering what her ancestor might have been like. She wondered if her brother was anything like Cali's, and decided that, if so, she didn't envy whoever had to try and keep him in line. She gazed thoughtfully at Fuin, at the mention of her coming for the funeral, and how it had been too painful to return. She understood that completely, for that was exactly one of the main reasons why Cali had elected to remain here with Ivornith, rather than returning to Minas Tirith, after the war. Of course there was the reason that she felt she was needed here, but in all honesty, Cali couldn't bear to return to where she had so many memories, and especially, to return to the house where she'd grown up with her brothers, and to have to face the hard fact that even her father was gone now. She went quiet, hardly eating much as she thought on those things.

"I'm sorry, that must have been quite grievous for you," Ivornith said quietly, understanding as well, for she had also lost loved ones. "You have my deepest thanks for all of your help, of course, but I assure you that you needn't go to any trouble." She paused, then added, "Though, we do appreciate whatever you do for us."

Cali looked at Rissy as the girl tugged on her sleeve, and informed Cali that she was done eating. "Yes, you did a good job too. And I think it's about time for bed, for you." She told her, and helped her down from her stack of cushions so she could get her ready for bed. "Iuldir?" She called, then shook him, as he was about to doze off into his plate, now that all the excitement was let out. She laughed softly.. he was more tired than he'd admitted. "Come on, I think you'd better get some sleep too."

"I suppose we're all probably rather tired. Allow me to show you to a room, Lady Fuin?" Ivornith offered, starting to clear away the table once supper had finished. "It isn't the finest of rooms, of course.. but you're welcome to stay here as long as you like."

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

Smiled and nodded as Ivornith offered to show her to a room “That would be lovely it has been a long day though you need not call me Lady Fuin, I am no noble lady, my husband may be a Lord but I feel he would have a laugh at someone calling me a Lady.” She said with a chuckle as the children prepared for bed, a good plan as her and Iuldir would need to work hard again tomorrow on the chair with Cali while Ivornith was away at work. She hoped anyways that Ivornith would be at work once more tomorrow so that they could get a good amount of work done.

“I will probably be here another night or two after tonight.” She said calmly, thinking about where that cart had been and how long it would likely take to get to this small farm. She normally would have fled but she needed to help this family and that would need her to be caught. Ivornith nodded to how long she would be staying and Fuin helped clear the plates (though she was told that she need not fuss) before following the lady of the house to a room, it was small and had a little bed in it but would be quite nice compared to where sleeping on her feet last night while she walked.

After a while Ivornith had gone to bed and Fuin wanted to... she wasn't sure what she wanted to do, speak with Cali perhaps on why she was so hesitant to share her secret with family and perhaps maybe tell her about her brothers? She could tell that had something to do with it but what? Or was it her father?

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
ImageImageImage

Ivornith could not understand an elven lady, wife of a lord as she said, insisting on helping with the dishes. She tried to tell Fuin she could manage, but eventually gave up, secretly glad for the extra help even if she didn't want to admit it. After doing all these sort of chores for other people all day, it was tiresome to go home and do the same things again for her own family. When she finally finished, Ivornith showed Fuin to the room where she would be sleeping, and bid her goodnight. Then, went to kiss her children goodnight before retiring to her own room.

Cali had finished getting Rissy ready for bed, deciding that it might be best to have her sleep with Ivornith (as she was prone to climbing into her mommy's bed at night anyway) and let Fuin sleep in Rissy's room. She helped her niece get ready for bed, then let Ivornith take over tucking her in, quietly explaining her thoughts, to which Ivornith agreed.

After helping the children, Cali meant to come back and bid Fuin a good night, but saw that she had already been shown to a room, and guessed she might already be in bed. Not wanting to disturb her now, Cali went to her own room, intending to go to bed. She was tired from all the work in the forge; she hadn't pushed herself to work that hard in a long time. But her mind wasn't tired enough for sleep. Feeling restless, she paced around a bit, but knew with all the thoughts swirling around in her head that she wasn't going to sleep anytime soon. There were too many things to think about, memories which had surfaced which she meant to keep buried and tucked away in the back of her mind, lest this very thing happen. But now it had, and she didn't know if she could deal with it. She certainly couldn't sleep, fearing what sort of nightmares might form if she tried that.

Instead, she slipped outside again, returning to the forge, where she felt a bit more at ease. It was quiet, though still warm. Somehow, though Cali couldn't exactly explain it, it felt strangely comforting to be there. Some part of her mind suggested the explanation that it was because, perhaps, she felt as if those lost loved ones were lingering here, though it wasn't the forge they'd grown up with. It wasn't her forge, but it still had many memories attached to it, which she had tried to detach herself from. Now she couldn't shake those memories, and as she looked down at it, she sighed, placing her hands down on the outer stones of the coal bed where it was cooler, and let her head hang down. The memories and heartache returned, full-force, and Cali was hardly aware of tears sliding down her face. She was alone here; she could let them flow as much as she needed to, now.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

She had heard someone out in the main room of the house, she was certain of it, but found no one there and looked out the window towards the forge and seen Cali slip into the forge across the yard. She licked her lips and slipped out as quietly as she could to not wake up Ivornith or the children. Once outside she walked slowly towards the forge, she opened the door to the forge making enough noise so that the young woman should know she was there. She looked like she was deep in thought though. Or memories.

Fuin knew what it was like to be trapped in memories and she stood quietly as Cali had her hands on the stones. “It’s hard.” She said softly. “We lose so many we love and yet we have to keep going with only their memories to comfort us through the long nights.” She said softly putting a hand on Cali’s back. Indeed it was worse for the second born, she at least knew that at some point she’d be reunited with her husband Afarfin when he had died years ago.

Her grief was so much longer ago, and yet it was also near, she had forgotten about his rebirth for weeks she'd forgotten for the most part about the other loves of her life as well, she'd gotten those memories back for the most part but she also knew that sometime far sooner than she cared to admit, she would lose the other loves of her life, Mylien and Ruindil, and unlike Afarfin, they would be gone forever, until the changing of the world and perhaps, not even then would she get to see them again she did not know. That terrified her and she didn’t know how she would make it through that pain. It had been hard enough with Cala all those years ago… and Rada. And they had not been… They had not been her husband or wife, they had been like children, which was a cruel fate, to watch those you consider your children to grow old and have children of their own and pass away while you remained untouched by time physically.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calithildis (Cali)

Cali heard the door open...someone approached her, and for a second, tensed. Then she heard Fuin speaking, and felt the comforting hand on her back. Of course it was her. Cali couldn't sleep, and came to the forge. Fuin probably couldn't, either. Only another person with smithing in their blood would be drawn to a forge in the middle of the night like this. She straightened and swiftly wiped the tears from her face, then slowly turned, trying to force a smile that didn't really stick. She didn't know what to say, exactly, but it was clear that Fuin knew she was suffering from the loss of a loved one. Her words were very true.

"You miss Cala," Cali said softly, -not as a question; it was very clear from how Fuin spoke of Cala that Fuin missed her tremendously- "perhaps..almost as much as I miss.. my brother." She couldn't stop her voice breaking up a little, unable to stop the flood of emotions from rising. She quickly wiped her eyes again, struggling as hard as she could to keep from losing her control of her emotions.

Dropping her head down, and turning her head slightly away as if to hide her face, Cali took a shaky breath. If she could just reign in the tears, and keep the wall up, stop the flood... She found herself continuing when she didn't mean to. "Only, the.. wound is... far more recent for me..." She hadn't meant to talk about Ryn. She didn't really want to bring that up.. it was too raw a wound, why had she spoken of him? The tears wouldn't stop now.

Trying yet again to wipe the tears away, Cali took a deep breath, trying again to regain control of herself. "I'm sorry.." She murmured, unsure how that all may have sounded, to Fuin, but she certainly didn't want to cause any offense or like she was trying to say 'my loss is worse than yours' or some nonsense like that. Cali had intended, at some point, to try and give Fuin some explanation for why she had taken up smithing in the first place, and why she'd had to keep her work secret... somehow this topic had invaded though.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.
@Rillewen

There were tears in her eyes and Cali was doing her best to fight them. Indeed she missed Cala and she knew the wounds that Cali suffered were far fresher than any Fuin had suffered. “Don’t be sorry, you are right my wounds are old, and I’ve shed my tears, and then some. Don’t feel like you need to be strong and not cry for me.” Fuin said softly.

“That is what you do for the children, or Ivornith, you’re welcome to cry in front of me.” She said softly “You need to grieve however you need to or else the pain will stay as a fresh wound for far longer than it should. It will never fully fade, like a scar that never fully heals and fades away, but, it will take more make it hurt as it did when it was a fresh wound.” Fuin said softly rubbing the young womans back. “Cala is a scar with hundreds of years to sooth the ache of a friend lost, and yours are but newly mended if they are mended at all.”

Cala grew old and died fulfilled, and it still had hurt, she did not know what she would have done had she died young still so full of life and promise, without children that she had passed her knowledge down to. At least one of Cali’s brothers had a child she did not know if the others did though, she did not know the family well enough anymore only that all three brothers were gone. The one that she knew of, father of Rissy and Iuldhir was a harsh reminder of how cruel war and battle could be, a life cut far too short. All of them were.

Steward of Gondor
@Revered Grandmother
Calithildis (Cali)
Dringolben Residence, on the outskirts of Dol Amroth. In the forge building.

Cali put a hand up as if to try and hide her face, despite the elf's assurance that she could cry. She feared that if she started to cry, she might never stop. It had felt so odd, at the funeral, that she hadn't cried. She'd felt too numb and empty to even convince herself she was alive, herself. Let alone cry. Then, after, once she'd had more time to process things and come to terms with the fact he was gone, then the tears had come, but by then, she couldn't let herself begin for fear she may never stop. Even now, she struggled to compose herself. "I..began..for him." She said softly, a bit shaky. "For his sake..and my father's." She sniffled and took a slow breath to try and explain. "He.." No that wasn't quite how she ought to explain it. She backed up to try again. "When my..older two brothers died.. my father..he sort of..fell to pieces."

She felt ashamed to admit that, to reveal that knowledge to anyone outside of their family. Very few knew the state her father had been in, during that time. They knew he had drunk a lot, but not how his work had suffered. She hoped this would never go any further than the two of them, feeling that she was taking a bit of a risk in sharing this secret which so few knew. But if Fuin had been a friend of Calaerdis, she wouldn't tell anyone, as it might give a bad name to Cala's descendant. "He started to drink." Cali admitted, further ashamed to add, "He'd..drink.. until he got so.. he couldn't even make a simple knife properly." She bit her lip and paused, then went on. "The..the armor he made..was flawed.. it should have never..never left the forge..."

She fought to keep the pain in her heart away, taking a few moments' pause to try and let her emotions settle. Then, finally, she glanced up at Fuin. "Ryn joined the rangers..he went into battle..wearing..armor that our father..had made." More tears flooded her eyes and she couldn't stop them. "He shouldn't have died...it should've..protected him.." She was losing the battle against the tears, and for a little while she could only stand there in silence, shaking slightly with the effort to keep letting herself give in to crying. She hadn't spoken of this to anyone. Those who knew about the armor were those who were close to her, there was no need to tell them. No one else needed to know these details. She had a reason now for why she was telling this all to Fuin; to help her understand why Cali had taken up the smith hammer to begin with.

High Lord of Imladris
Present Day.

@Rillewen

She stayed beside Cali, listening as she spoke. She knew what it was like for a parent to go to pieces. She’d needed to send her mother to the West when she had started to fall apart after the murder of her father. Having to take care of her while trying to survive on her own, that was hard - they no longer had the safety of their home, they'd been on the run, and it had been hard. She understood more than Cali could possibly imagine with a parent falling apart.

What Fuin had not needed to suffer, was the loss of a sibling because of it. She had been their only child, an anomaly really in the early years of the elves. It had spared her that pain. Fuin could not stop herself as Cali kept fighting the tears as she admitted it was her father that had caused the death of Ryn - Poor workmanship, and failing armor. No wonder she was as torn asunder by her emotions - Fuin looped an arm about her and hugged her closely, continuing to stroke her back.

“You could not have known what would happen,” She said softly she could feel the odd tear escaping but Cali was still fighting the tears. “It was not your place to know beforehand, and you acted when you did. You’ve saved how many from the same heart ache when your father was still forging?” It would not make the pain of the loss of her brother less, but there were men out there undoubtedly that owed this young woman their lives. She was a hero, even if she did not feel like one.