Minas Tirith City Hall (OOC)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
Istari Sage
@Pele Alarion can I play Romeran as a hired hand on The Anduin Cruise? I figure he's certainly not going to have the cash to have a ticket but maybe he'd be interested in earning some coin working.

High Warden of Tower
@Romeran And whysoever not? :grin: Jump right in!

Éowyn
Éowyn
Heeeeey! Sup, folks? :smooch:
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Black Númenórean
Arnyn!! Great to see you :grin:
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Master Torturer
Great to see you back, Arnyn!

High Warden of Tower
*does a happy dance, balancing honey cake and tea* :lol:

New Soul
Arnyn: Welcome back! Can I have some honeycake too? :tongue:
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

Istari Sage
Welcome back Arnyn! Good to see more faces around Gondor :smile: and yeah tea and honey cakes for me too plz :grin:

Éowyn
Éowyn
Hiya, folks! What did I miss? :grin:

Tea and honey cakes for all! (Easy to say when it's Pele who's supplying)
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower
Did someone say tea?
Ziranphel of the Green Hills ~ Thûllir Bregedŷr of Ithilien

New Soul
Well, well, well... Looks like all we had to do to get Gondorians back here was to serve honey cake and tea. I shall remember this for future use. :tongue: :grin: Good to see you all back, hope you're healthy and happy :grouphug:
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

High Warden of Tower
Suppose it is time to get back to baking cakes... Might run out! :lol: I thought I was a proper serious grown-up, but here I am rejoicing childishly at seeing all the people and the fervent posting activity.

Master Torturer
Pele Alarion wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:42 pm Suppose it is time to get back to baking cakes... Might run out! :lol: I thought I was a proper serious grown-up, but here I am rejoicing childishly at seeing all the people and the fervent posting activity.
Omg ditto, I am absolutely loving it! <3

Éowyn
Éowyn
In my case it really was a combination of getting somewhat of a routine back finally after kiddo nr 2 and having started up work again. And the decision that I couldn't keep watching TV all night every night forever. :p Not so much the tea and honey cake... More of a coffee person actually :googly:
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

New Soul
Pele Alarion wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:42 pmI thought I was a proper serious grown-up, but here I am rejoicing childishly at seeing all the people and the fervent posting activity.
And you totally should, because this is a good thing :rainbowheart: Love to see folk coming back, being creative and just interacting and being awesome. :nod:
She/her.

Captain of Tower
Arnyn gave me a nudge. The lure of creating stories with friends pulled me back.
My schedule hasn't gotten any less busy, but hopefully I will have more spoons available for writing here. My brother's health has stabilized for the most part, and I have developed a bit better routine for work. It is nice to see everyone and catch up on reading stories! Now to try and figure out what my characters have been doing the last several months (since writing time takes longer than actual time I won't say they've been gone a year this time). I won't be able to write often, but will try to keep doing so as often as time allows.

Éowyn
Éowyn
Wippee! Nudge nudge nudge nudge nudge
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
A pity I've already devoured all the chocolate - all the returns need celebrating!

*eyes the roster* Changes? Yes? :grin:

Master Torturer
:dance:

Istari Sage
Woohoo more people returning! As a statistician I'm qualified to say that correlation does actually imply causation and that clearly my discovery of NuPlaza has re-invigorated Gondor :lol: totally 100% true no one can convince me otherwise :nod:

In all seriousness good to see you on the Plaza again Karis

Captain of Tower
Pele - Yes to changes. Ziran, Thullir, and Kaylin are all back to active status. Arnyn just did the return post for the couple, and I'll write Ziran's here shortly after I get laundry started.

Good to see you as well Romeran. I will admit curiosity about less familiar names had led to me poking around a bit already when I was told to add new Gondorians on the Discord.

Steward of Gondor
I have a question; can we have a thread for 'Minas Tirith City Streets' or something like that? Am I allowed to start threads or do I have to ask someone else to do it?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Master Torturer
Anyone can open threads, without having to ask permission :) All we ask is that people dont copy a thread that is already there :) Some might say that could go in the MT thread, but if you feel it doesnt belong there, feel free to be creative :)

High Warden of Tower
While no one tells you no (as Windy rightfully points out), @Rillewen, what would you practically add in a new thread when MT free thread already has a rather detailed description of each circle? At some point MT was in a separate thread, but then it was combined with some surrounding areas to avoid spreading the activity too thin all over the place (I think). Though perhaps the current activity could again populate a separate MT thread.

Steward of Gondor
Yes, that's one of the reasons I felt it might be nice to have another thread, because the current Minas Tirith thread has a lot of activity already. And the market thread doesn't really fit some of the stories I'd like to do.
I was just thinking of a thread that's more focused on just minas tirith itself, because it feels like there's just not enough threads for all the stuff lol
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Warden of Tower
You can just use dividers/subheadings to separate your stories, y'know. :tongue: But MT or MT and Pelennor could be separated from the Northern Fiefdoms to make two separate threads. At one point MT thread had such a long opening post with a whole lot of info, but it was made more concise eventually to take up less space. The current thread has 6 pages, and might need a bit of refresher, suppose... :wink:

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
This is probably my fault as @Rillewen and I were talking about a couple of rpg things, one of which included incorporating a city streets rp and includes residential homes as much as it does the market, while the other is entirely set in osgiliath. There is currently no thread which cover osgiliath as a setting at all.

The northern Fiefdoms thread is both rather full and also it’s opening post is rather out of date with numerous references to the army as though that’s a current set up, which it’s not, and an awful lot of guild houses and fellowships also which, as we discussed when the similarly traditional market thread was revamped, are also no longer used for rp in the format or at all here as they were back in the old plaza.

But the thread runner for the main mt free rp thread is not active. As was the case with the previous marketplace - which was revamped - and the previous Barracks thread - which was similarly revamped - in both cases at least in part so that an active thread runner could amend the opening post Etc to fit current RP on the Nu plaza when relevant and save the admins having to step in to do so.

Our current mt free rp thread is another of the threads which were kindly put up very quickly so we could play without any delay when Nu plaza first started, but have since been proven to be more descriptive of old Gondor than our current Gondor. Which is no criticism of their initial creation, but an observation after nearly two years of activity.

As the existing thread which cover general MT rp is at six pages already, is also a little out of date now in terms of Opening post and has no active thread runner to take care of exactly these needs for revamp, a new variant of the mt and north fiefs thread is, in my opinion, entirely justifiable.

Personally I would have switched it to a separate thread for Minas Tirith based RP and then a new northern fiefdoms thread which includes osgiliath instead of keeping Minas Tirith there. But that is just me, probably.

There is always the risk of spreading ourselves too thin but I think both mt in general and the pelennor have been used so frequently as settings in posts in the existing thread, and are likely to continue to do so, that there are grounds for two threads to co-exist and particularly where some of our faster posting members are concerned, will likely fill both threads, especially when RPs are already being plotted which would use them in the not too distant future.

Imladris has seen several practically identical threads created and coexist, apparently to allow people to rp in identical settings but using a different set of rules for each thread set up. A new thread here such as Rillewen is considering would have far more cause for creation. And it is becoming custom in Gondor to update/spring cleanup threads in each new year as a response to our evolving posting style/plans.

Just an(other) opinion. :winkkiss:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

High Warden of Tower
Ohhhhhh! *light bulb switches on in the head* Renovations and a bit of expansion and detail? Mmmmmm! :grin:

Éowyn
Éowyn
Oh I looooooooooove spring cleaning! :grin:

I king of like the idea of having a separate MT streets thread, with links to more specific existing threads (like the marketplace and such).
And then throw MT out of the northern fiefdoms and throw in Osgiliath!
I'm in favor of the MT separate thread, Rill and Ercassie! :grin: And I could revamp the Northern Fiefdoms one later today (unless anyone protests?).

I would also be pro separating the Ranger Commons some. Especially now the decision has been made to put the barracks in the 6th circle. I kind of want the old TG thread back, the one outside of the first circle, in the Pelennor fields. Peleeeee? *pretty eyes*
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
Here I was finally waking up properly and beginning to get a grasp of things - to eventually sit back and watch the process. :lol:

@Arnyn , Training Grounds and Barracks (or Commons) then? It does get a bit busy these days. lol...

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Pele Alarion - Well... If we're putting everything back in the 6th, I would definitely pull the Training Grounds out of the HQ/barracks/stables and have those in a separate thread again, outside of the first circle in the Pelennor. More space means more freedom to be creative as to what the TG may contain (depending on what someone needs for their training).

With new recruits, that could be worthwhile!
What do you think?
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

High Warden of Tower
@Arnyn Yup, and all sorts of other training for experienced folks. :wink: Will get to it sometime... If I take too long, do yell.

Istari Sage
Romeran is already doing some training with Pele in the training grounds although it got put on hold with the whole king thing. I plan to do a fair amount more training with him so I think separating some of it would would help.

New Soul
@Rillewen - the new MT is looking great :thumbs: Aside from some formatting, I just have one teeny tiny remark. Maybe it would be a good idea to note somewhere that the list of locations in the thread is not comprehensive and that RP-ers can add/invent locations (e.g. houses, stables, archives etc.) to fit their RP needs. For example, I'll need an archive building or vault for a post I'm currently doing research on, so I'd kind of like to be able to just say that the archive/vault (whatever thing I end up using in the end) is in some location (unless it's already listed then it's a moot point). But this is just my opinion, not something you need to do, it's your thread and you can set things however you like. I'll adapt.

P.S. I hope the Rangers finally reached an agreement where they want their HQ et alii be located :tongue:
She/her.

Steward of Gondor
Oh thanks, good idea, I can add/ remove anything you guys want. I copied over the list of things from the other rp but I felt that it seemed outdated. But i didn't really have anyone to ask

Éowyn
Éowyn
@Winddancer In the name of spring cleaning, could the powerful dragon close the old Northern Fiefdoms thread and refer rp'ers to the new MT city streets thread (Rillewen's) and the new Northern Fiefdoms thread (mine)?
Forever obliged!
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Captain of Tower
Updating threads that are getting long is nice to see.

Since I see mention of creating a training grounds thread (a good idea) - I've noticed that Ranger training seems to be happening in the various area threads rather than training grounds specifically. That can be both useful for a location standpoint and harder to track down. I think having the training grounds separate from the Commons/barracks will facilitate solo and recruit training being visible without overwhelming HQ, and with further rp in other threads as it strikes peoples' fancy.

Istari Sage
+1 on a separate training thread. @Rillewen and I have been in Ithilien lately because that's where Duinion is training Romeran in tracking/scouting stuff. If we made a separate thread for ranger training, would we want to put all training in that thread, regardless of where it occurs, or only training that is in the "Training Grounds" itself? On the one hand it might be convenient for it all to be in one place, but it also might reduce activity in other places. Getting it out of the HQ seems like a good idea regardless of the decision there.

Steward of Gondor
if we're closing the minas tirith, pelennor, and northern fiefdoms thread, I shall wait on replying to a RP there :lol:

Master Torturer
@Arnyn Sorry, cant :( Its Toast's thread and its for them to close. I would do it if no one posted in it, but since people are still actively using it, I cant. You can direct people to the new one so they start posting in there, or you could get a hold of Toast and ask them to ask for it to be closed. Sorry!

New Soul
Rillewen wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:54 pmBut i didn't really have anyone to ask
Well Cassie, Pele and I are always active on Discord at one time or another and so are Arnyn and Karis recently... So you can always poke me there, and I'm sure the others will tell you the same if you're unsure of something or need help. :nod: And there's never any rush to open a thread, everything can wait a day or two. :nod:
She/her.

Steward of Gondor
Nessa Saelind wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:55 pm
Well Cassie, Pele and I are always active on Discord at one time or another and so are Arnyn and Karis recently...
Well at the time, none of you were online :P I figured it'd work out just fine to post it and then see if anyone made any suggestions of things i forgot, rather than trying to copy/paste things and whatnot.

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
The new shiny threads are looking lovely, ladies ! :clap: And training grounds ! :headbang: Count me biased from days of yore, but I'm thrilled at that prospect. Probably much more ground out on the Pelennor etc, to chase a new recruit on horseback .. err I mean, to gently ask what one boy and not-his-dog are doing there unattended. :tongue:

With regard to not closing the original threads without the absent thread runners permission, the trend in other cases has always just been to start using the new ones. Then the outdated versions will naturally and very gently fade to a well-earned peace on page two of the kingdom. Problem solved. :wink:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Steward of Gondor
I thought there were training grounds in the ranger commons AND in the pelennor? That was what I read on one of the OPs

Éowyn
Éowyn
Oooh, ok, @Winddancer ! Got it! Didn't know ^^
Arnyn ~ Honor & Valor
Kaylin ~ Joy & Strength

Master Torturer
@Rillewen I totally missed that the new thread is copied from Toasts thread. Is there a reason for that? I mean is there a reason it could not have stayed there? Also if you are just copying it over, you will need to credit them at that its their work you have moved over :)

@Arnyn No worries <3 Never hurts to ask! :D

Steward of Gondor
The reason for copying stuff over is because it was the best compilation I could find of what's where in Minas Tirith. Thanks for reminding me about credit though, I had forgotten about that!
Last edited by Rillewen on Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master Torturer
But why could it not stay in Toasts thread? We generally try and avoid copies of existing threads so we dont cause confusion of where to post or take activity away from one thread to another.

Steward of Gondor
I'm sorry, I thought it was overall agreed on that we were going to make Minas Tirith into a thread by itself and make a new thread for Pelennor, Osgiliath, and other areas outside of minas tirith? That was what I thought, anyway. If i misunderstood, I'm sorry.

Master Torturer
That can be done, but I didnt realise you were just going to copy what was already there. If thats the case, then it would be a no as it is already there. I thought you were going to create something brand new. There is no need for a copy as what is there is the same and can do just fine in there, all you have to do is headline where you are.