Bucanneers of Belfalas II - OOC/Signups (TA RP)

Seven Stars and Seven Stones and One White Tree.
High Lord of Imladris
Welcome to our corner of plotting in Gondor.
As many of you may remember years ago Bucanneers of Belfalas was a fairly long and beautiful thread in the the RPG Forum... Today it's making a comeback (hopefully)

Eliad our Captain, Mylien our first Mate, Matt... Matt what the heck were you???, Taylus our book worm are returning to a life of adventure much to the dismay of the Royal Gondorian Navy out of Dol Amroth, and they want you to join them!

Our first foes will be Gondorians which lets face it we don't really want to kill them, but we will if we have to.

IF you would like to try to stop us you're welcome to try and have some fun with it, we will be putting out calls for people to stop the pirates or play opposing forces etc throught the RP from varying kingdoms as well as Gondorians who may or may not try to chase us all the way around Middle Earth.

This IS going to be an adventure/battle type RP, it will involve some pure adventuring but we are going to have it well interspersed with other things that the crew will need to deal with outside of basic ship issues.
Crew Characters:
Captain Eliad Belegaur - NPC (Played by Fuin)
First mate Mylien Silant - Fuin
Quartermaster Ashford - Nessa Saelind
Ships Healer Morana Senensis - Nessa Saelind
Navigator Devedir - Rillewen
Cook Scurvy Jones - Isolde Alarion

Resources to help with terminology:
Wikipedia Glossary of Nautical Terms
William Falconer's Dictionary of the Marine
IF you would like to join us as CREW
Character Name:
If you want to be in for the short term or the long term game: (We have an exist spot in two different locations if you just want to play for a short while, or a mid term sort of game as well as our true end goal) You are welcome to change your mind at any point just let us know in here.

Everything else is up to you come up with why your character would be helping 'Gondorian Criminals'. You are welcome to chat in hear to help figure out character background etc if you want to make a new character.

If you would like to be a foe or foes

Character name:
How active do you want to be as our RP foe(s)
Would you like to play more than one foe?
Discord or EMAIL address for further talks about bad guy story bits: Because you will need to be privvy to bits of the story the pirates don't get to know?

Sign ups will run for at least 1 week before the RP starts, and will be run by myself
Rules for posting will be in the actual RP thread but expect them to be simple and easy to follow mostly because I'm lazy with those.
Last edited by Fuin Elda on Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:09 am, edited 4 times in total.

Child of Gondor
Character Name: Scurvy Jones
Position: Ships Cook
Activity: Moderate @ this point.
Pirates got to eat. right? Arrghhh!!
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

New Soul
Character Name: Morana Senensis
Position: Ship's surgeon/medic/healer (really don't know which term to use :shrug: ) - someone has to patch pirates up and make sure their teeth don't fall out because of scurvy :-)
If you want to be in for the short term or the long term game: Long term is fine at the moment :-)
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

High Lord of Imladris
LOVE the characters!

@Isolde Alarion - SOUNDS Great love it! (I swear you were in BoB 1 because this feels vaguely familiar)

@Nessa Saelind Sounds good and you are welcome to call yourself whatever you prefer! Normally it would be ships surgeon but healer would probably be more appropriate in this setting so which ever way you'd like is fine by us!
Sereg a Dîn

Child of Gondor
@Fuin Elda Yep, Scurvy was in the first BoB with his wooden spoon and flies. LOL
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

New Soul
@Fuin Elda as you mentioned, surgeon would be the most appropriate, but since Tolkien refers to physicians/doctors/surgeons/insert whatever term as healers I was kind of at a loss :lol: But it doesn't matter what the position is called, they can refer to my character as a medicine woman :lol: as long as they know where to go to get patched up.
She/her.

New Soul
It's good to have you back Isolde :smooch:! I recall Scurvy fondly :lol: .

Hopefully no one minds but perhaps a brief summary of what's gone before and what to expect now? For those who are not familiar with Buccaneers of Belfalas it was a long-running maritime story in the RPG Forum of Old Plaza over a decade ago. Fuin and I hosted it together with the GM Eliad Belegaer. It involved a ragtag group of plucky sailors of Belfalas (plus one adventurous Hobbit and a scholar longing to see the world) looking to make their fortune. Eliad, their captain, was obsessed with finding the Alessa, a fabled tenth ship of Elendil's which disappeared from history...according to myth. He wanted to find treasures from Numenor if he could somehow locate its wreck. During Eliad's search, Mylien - his First Mate - and their roguish venturers destroyed a ship of the Gondorian navy. They were ultimately captured at the end of the RP.

This thread is a continuation of that story. The crew is doomed to execution but the loremaster, Taylus Morgaur who was exonerated (the authorities believed the respected historian was...coerced...into helping) is going to contact one of Mylien's friends, the Umbarian Corsair Kfir Gameela, to help the Buccaneers escape. Would reveal more of the plot but what's the fun in that? I hope this Third Age themed RP will be just as exciting as its predecessor!
"Eriol... 'One who dreams alone.' ” - Tolkien, The Book of Lost Tales I

New Soul
I don't know if this will help or hinder, but I was going through the Wayback Machine trying to find the original Buccanneers of Belfalas thread so I could read for researching and entertainment purposes. Sadly the thread wouldn't load, but I did find the OOC/Sign Up thread that would load and there was a helpful summary there. Just judging by the summary it looks like this was one extremely exciting and entertaining RPG. :-)
She/her.

New Soul
@Nessa Saelind , brilliant and thank you!! You've made my day and I'm sure @Fuin Elda will be just as happy 🤩🌊!

High Lord of Imladris
Love it @Nessa Saelind

I know BoB was suppose to launch today but sadly it won't be until later tonight it looks like... Unfortunately I've had some rather nasty real life business come up that absolutely won't wait even though I would literally rather be doing absolutely anything else.

High Lord of Imladris
@Nessa Saelind and @Isolde Alarion You are welcome to write about watching/positioning yourself in the crowd for whatever Aig/Tharmaras has planned or you are welcome to wait for him, his post may not come until Monday or Tuesday though!

New Soul
I was kind of torn between waiting for Aig, or writing something based on the intro post... I still haven't decided, but I have to start writing sometime right? :-) Maybe I'll manage to post something this evening if I manage, if not I'll wait a bit. No problem, as we already established elsewhere Gondor is a bit of a festina lente (or speûde bradéōs (σπεῦδε βραδέως) if one prefers Greek :P ) kingdom. :lol:
She/her.

New Soul
Now that I have a day off for work, I'm going to complete my post today, @Nessa Saelind ! Just about to complete my first paragraph. Would you prefer it if I had Taylus approach your character for the first time prior the rescue to serve as healer and she'd be present in the crowd now, waiting for his signal? Or would you like to imagine that Morana was already a medic aboard the last time and was exonerated at capture but Taylus wants her to be the surgeon again and would be in the crowd waiting for his signal? Taylus is a scholar and a Belfalas noble's son. I may be posting within the hour and will remark Taylus sees Morana and Scurvy but it would be great to know just for background information which could be referred to in the RP :grin: .

Matt Roger's new surname on Narv Plaza is "Bowbrick", @CHAOS , just to keep in mind so :smooch: . I'm nearly tempted to ask you if Eliad and Taylus could be cousins (since the original owner is not here and you're writing him) because of the 'guar' ending of their surnames but I'll be good :lol: . I will mention at somepoint the history behind Taylus'. Either in this sequel or... in AoA... :hobbyhorse:

New Soul
@Tharmáras - I think the first option makes more sense, especially if events from the past mission are going to be referenced (I assume they will) sometime.

If it helps you when I was writing a draft of my first post I mentioned that a messenger boy brought a message to the Senensis house, 2 days before the scheduled execution of captain Eliad and Mylien, with a job offer that said to meet her prospective employer at the square at the metioned time. In the draft I had her figure out that she wasn't just contacted because of her skills as a healer, but because sides of her family have connections to smugglers; her late father was one, and her mother has no trouble treating injured pirates and smugglers. Those were basically 2 main points of my draft, if it helps any. I hope to finish writing and editing today before I bury my nose in more history books about piracy and medicine :lol:

edit: typos noticed and fixed after I had a first sip of coffee.
She/her.

New Soul
That works! I decided Taylus has an adventurous older brother (I'll think of a name as I continue writing my post) who is a smuggler, transporting needed supplies to Gondorian soldiers in Harondor. He fights Umbarians on the sea, getting past Corsair blockades. He could have known her parents and suggested asking Nessa to be the ship's surgeon.

If you like, Taylus could have sent a job offer message to the Senesis house but requesting her to meet him at a Pelargir tavern to discuss freeing the Captain and First Mate and her serving aboard as the healer. He'll let her know what signal to look for while she waits in the crowd, attacking the stationed guards near the gibbet with Scurvy etc. Sounds good and could help your draft? Taylus is a scholar but one of high birth, a lesser noble and his brother as well, and these rich boths frequently get into trouble and displease their Belfalas father. :lol: I just had my first cup of coffee...I write well with coffee...I might have three more... :rofl:

New Soul
Loving how we're throwing siblings into the mix already :thumbs: Yes, meeting at a tavern before the great escape :lol: would make sense, especially since Morana is an unknown factor and Taylus isn't sure how she will react.

Heh, if memory serves me right we once had a coffee drinking smiley here, wonder where its gone, since we clearly need it now :lol:
She/her.

New Soul
Valcollo, (just made his name), Taylus' brother, might show up if we have a third Buccaneers RPG but I already plan using him in the Free RP threads here in the Gondor Forum. Taylus is serious and reserved but Valcollo is like Han Solo or Starlord :rofl: . I'll set up a tavern meeting in my post so that way you and @Isolde Alarion can have even more to include in your post before the fighting begins near the gibbet. We really do need a coffee emojie...I usually have coffee when I write. This one infused with sugar and French Vanilla syrup....we need a salivating emojie as well, Nessa :lol: /

Issy, do you mind if I say Taylus got Scurvy a job at this tavern where we're meeting? That he's been there for months since walking free? Miraculous that he's been behaving himself :lol: :winkkiss: .

Edit: The post is getting long....sorry about its length in advance. Definitely will be done today though.

New Soul
No worries about the length or the time it takes you to write it. I'm in the Team long RP posts anyway :lol: Team turtle 🐢 also. :lol:
She/her.

New Soul
I'm so glad you are Team Long RP Posts, @Nessa Saelind because Google Docs says my reply is 6 pages and 2809 words so far... yeah I've been in that camp a while and it started in the Gondor Forum over a decade ago :rofl: . I'm nearly done with Taylus speaking to Morana and Scurvy at a Dol Amroth pub (it's not the whole post :lol: . Just the end... blame the exposition stuff) then I just need to do the square scene where Taylus gives the signal to attack the knights by the gibbet.

Okay, I'm done! Anyonecan look at this link to see where Kfir's river valley is near the Grey MountainsofHarad and Umbar although we're not RPing near it https://corecanvas.s3.amazonaws.com/the ... f_arda.gif .

New Soul
@Tharmáras - it always starts with: Oh, I'm just gonna write a short RP post, 700 words max. 2.500 words later and you're looking at the Word document head in your hands and screaming at your characters to get to the point already! :lol:

I really enjoyed reading your post, loved the number of details you put into it (give ussss more detailsss preciossss). Now to dive my head into the Word document and start writing, adjusting and editing based on your info. :-) BTW would you like me to insert a scene how Scurvy and I are freeing Mylien and Eliad and running to the docs like mad totally sensible people who are going along with this plan or I do I just kind of leave it at: and then all hell broke loose. :lol:
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
@Nessa Saelind I am 100% okay with you freeing me and Eliad, also if either you or @Isolde Alarion want to give me a cutlass we can most certainly help in the chaos as we are horrifically uhhh vulnerable right now lol. You're welcome to book it towards the ships at this point but there is going to be some fighting there we are stealing 'navy ships at this point' I'll take care fo Eliad and myself for and getting more crew/men of umbar to the docks

New Soul
@CHAOS - one cutlass for the first mate can be arranged :-) I'll try to finish my post this afternoon if all goes well. Tomorrow afternoon the latest, because I had to dump the first draft because the whole thing wasn't working, so now I am back to the drawing board :lol:
She/her.

New Soul
Clearly I can't time manage my writing :lol: QED :lol: (how I managed to finish my history essays on time at uni is still a mystery to me :D ). I would appologise for everything, but I'm too "busy" searching for the apropriate I regret nothing gif and That escalated quickly gif so I can hide behind them :lol:
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
Hahaha love the post @Nessa Saelind I'm going to wait a little bit in case @Isolde Alarion wants to post and then Mylien will join the frey with her cutlass and we will start moving towards the docks.

New Soul
No rush, as a memener of Team turtle it's slow and steady that wins the race. :-) Plus you get more time to fix typos before you post :lol:
She/her.

Child of Gondor
Sorry for the delay guys..lifes been crazy and I can't seem to find alot of free time lately but I'll look for it this weekend. Sorry once more..

New Soul
@Isolde Alarion - first of all big support hug! Hope you can kick RL in the behind and sort everything out. Don't stress too much about writing, no rush. We're not going to go away anytime soon. :-) Take your time and most of all have fun writing :smooch:
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
No worries @Isolde Alarion if I wanted this to race along it would not be in Gondor probably not even on NuPlaza at this point it would be on GaiaOnline or something like that. :lol:

New Soul
CHAOS wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:00 pm if I wanted this to race along it would not be in Gondor
If I had any artistic skills I'd figure out a way how to put a sloth on the White Tree and somehow make a banner of that photoshopped image and hang it up somewhere in the Kingdom :lol:
She/her.

New Soul
Loved your latest post @CHAOS! I could vividly picture Mylien as a street urchin looking at Kfir with "Were you dropped on your head as a child or were you just born stupid" look :lol: I'd love to read more about her adventures as a kid :-) she'd have some stories to tell :-)
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
Aig said that as well! I may have to do more flash backs if they are really well like. Also the o my way I'm going to get posts anywhere near the length of you two!

Child of Gondor
Making progress and hope to have the post done today, cross your fingers. LOL!

High Lord of Imladris
Fingers crossed! Looking forward to your post.

High Lord of Imladris
@Nessa Saelind and @Tharmáras I think it's time we keep moving if we can, sadly Isolde hasn't been on in almost a month, we'll keep Scurvy with us but I'll plot shield him for the time being from any major damage so we can get on to the more adventurous part of this.

For anyone wanting to join you are welcome to do so as a corsair, or as a member of the Dol Amroth Swan Knights etc to try to stop us or as a direct crew member it's super easy right now if you want to join later that's fine as well I am okay with dropping a person onto a ship and pretending they've always been there.

New Soul
I agree the show must go on! I'll write Taylus, Matt, and Kfir in the unfolding chaos when I write my next post!

New Soul
The ayes have it! :D

*hauls popcorn* @Tharmáras I can't wait to see what kind of that escalated quickly chaos energy will Taylus get himself and others into :lol: Just don't get yerself killed boss, some folks would like to get paid :lol:
She/her.

New Soul
You will have your gold, Doc :rofl: ! Taylus is a nerd but he's a scrappy one :rofl: . He's like that Daniel guy from Stargate or Sam Winchester from Supernatural :headbang: . Taylus won't ever die, that I can promise but...I do have a planned ending for him.... something that happens to some mariners which is spoken about in canon.... :winkkiss: We will see it happen whenever Fuin and I decide to end the Buccaneers series. It will be a happy and emotional, epic ending for our seaworthy bookworm. Minor spoiler.

Taylus' relatives, the smuggler mentioned in my last post and a lady knight, will feature probably sometime in our Buccaneers series or a Fourth Age saga in the Beyond thread in the Imladris forum starring my roguish Gondorian adventurer Beren Camlost (named for the romantic hero of the First Age). I will start writing that sometime in January.

New Soul
Always good to know that the healer's getting paid :lol: Pain killers don't come cheep you know :lol:

Awesome! Something to look forward to in 2021, that isn't just 2020 died a horrible death on December 31! :lol:
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
Let's just pray that 202p doesn't hit 21 and is suddenly 2020 with a drinking problem come January 1st. Lol

And as long as Mylien us up you'll get paid she's fiesty enough to make sure of that lol

New Soul
Blessing your timeline with the BoB pdf so that we have the reference point of what was posted before.

Like I mentioned in our Discord group and @Fuin Elda said yes my plan is to edit my 1st Morana post in the thread, because what we have is an old version that was edited in early summer. After I edit I am going to post my 1st Ashford post that was originally posted on July 18th. It will now go after this post and then Fuin can post as Ruindil and then I can upload my 2nd post as Morana (which was originally posted on June 27th) and :googly: I think I confused everyone enough for one evening. I'll go post :lol: so this makes sense :lol:
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
Awesome I'm going to have to do an update on the main Opening posts as I do need to updated to reflect that Aigronding has officially stepped out of the GM position. Are you guys wanting me to make this as an official annoucement in thread?? Or are you @Nessa Saelind and @Rillewen okay with this as the extent of the annoucement?

I will get that done and officially get the next Ruindil post up

Steward of Gondor
I'm okay with just this announcement, I think we all already know about it.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Lord of Imladris
I've also officially added Ashford back in as the Quartermaster in the character list, @Rillewen I don't remember if we'd officially given your character a listing in the main crew let me know if you want Devedir listed in there somewhere

Steward of Gondor
Uh.. Devedir was a navigator I think, or whatever that position is called.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

High Lord of Imladris
I don't think there is a different term for it if I see one eventually will ask what you prefer - however he's in there now as a navigator!

New Soul
@Revered Grandmother - it's totally fine, you don't need to make an announcement in the thread. There are only the 3 of us here, currently, and we talk on Discord every day :lol: so no worries.

P.S. navigators were usually referred to as pilots :winkkiss: But both terms are correct. OK, I'm off to sort HoH posts, then BoB post :nod:
She/her.

Steward of Gondor
@Nessa Saelind and @Revered Grandmother , whatever it's called, he knows maps and stuff and tells them how to guide the ship so they don't sink :P

High Lord of Imladris
@Rillewen and @Nessa Saelind I've made a post so if either of you want to you can post as you like I've got both Eliads ship as well as the Ruindils ship so you are welcome to slip onto either one of those I am thinking I might have them sail north together. @Isolde Alarion you're also welcome to make for either ship
Sereg a Dîn

New Soul
@Fuin Elda - hurrah for pirate post :rainbowyay: :bounce: and thanks for the heads up. I haven't read it yet, but migraine permitting, I'll catch up with the buccaneers this weekend. I need to dig up that draft for the post I started writing in which Ashford kills prince Imrahil's father, hopefully, I'll remember where I stashed that doc, it was on some usb I think.
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
@Nessa Saelind I hope the migraine subsides soon those are not fun (I've had one for a few days now so I've not been enjoying life really.... and I hope you find that usb and the post!
Sereg a Dîn