Riddermark Ærendgewrit—Rohirric Mail

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Doorwarden of The Mark
Repost of the OP:
Near the town center of Edoras stands a building with a weathered shingle bearing a picture of quill and ink and the words Riddermark Ærendgewrit. In these early days of the Fourth Age, many Rohirrim have begun to read and write and enjoy exchanging news with friends and family both near and far. In the center of the room is a table, equipped with quills, ink, and parchment, where visitors can pen their letters. Along the walls are several baskets where correspondence is deposited for sorting and delivery. Some of the more prominent citizens of Edoras have boxes with their names attached to the walls.

Welcome to the Edoras post office! This is where you can leave mail for Riders of Rohan. Letters are welcome from all lands. The only rules (outside of normal Plaza rules) are to please keep it in character, and post the recipient’s name in bold at the top of the post.

Be creative! Post love letters, birthday wishes, thank you notes—whatever is on your mind!

New Soul

To:
Lailyn
Bee Keeper
Honorably Retired From the Westmark

I hope this letter finds you in good health! Your congratulations are most appreciated, as I am sure I can confidently say on behalf of my fellow Marshals Shivased and Taethowen as well!

Your career as a bee-keeper is most fascinating! And if I were to be completely honest, not something I would care to attempt myself. While I have little fear of other insects, or even spiders or snakes, I must confess a persistent dislike of bees, likely partially due to an allergy! Your commitment to raising them is most commendable, and in particular your offer of sharing the honey you collect with our hælends! It is most appreciated, and I gladly take you up on your offer. If you could send the honey to the Dragon Room I will assure you it will be delivered to the appropriate places. Or, should you have time to deliver yourself, we would be most honored to welcome you, and thank you in person for your kind gift! But I do not want to intrude on your time.

Your inquiry regarding the bilewitdox is not unfounded. It has indeed risen to our attention the supply may have been watered down. I can assure you this is being addressed! However, our supply is sadly depleted, and if you are brewing a batch, we would gratefully receive it, as there are several new recruits who will need their initiation, and as I’m sure you well remember, it is not a night to be taken lightly.

Yours most sincerely,

Gwai Feorsteorra
Third Marshal
Meduseld Éored

@Lailorn @Taethowen @Shivased
Third Marshal of the Mark
Meduseld Éored

Ent Ancient
@Gwai Feorsteorra
Third Marshal
Meduseld Éored

I'm sorry to hear of your allergy! I suppose I won't be inviting you over for tea, then, much as I would like to. I would hate to be responsible for causing a Marshal's adverse reaction and possible death...

If I don't see it done myself, I will ensure the honey is delivered with utmost caution so no live bees come anywhere near the Dragon Room. I'm very glad you have accepted my offer!

I will do what I can about the bilewitdox. I am no expert, but I picked up thing or two about brewing and the like while I was up north in Lake-town. I agree - it is a most serious and honoured tradition that should be continued if possible.

Sincerely,
Lailyn

Wait. Had she indirectly invited a Marshal over for tea and mentioned her possible death all in a few short sentences? She suddenly wished she could take it back, but it was already too late.

Thain of The Mark
The hand-writing is untidy, in the manner of a child's, and the letter's length suggests that someone for whom writing is not their forte has spent a great deal of time composing the text

Walpurga (@Frostbite)
Meduseld Barracks
The Cavalry Courtyard
Edoras

Dear Walpurga,

I howp you are well?

I wanted to rite to you and say thank you agen for enviting me to perfome with you at the Festeval After Partee. It ment a lot to me to be abel to play as part of a grope grupe.

I was hopping I cud ask a favor in return. I dont no if you have herd of the songs 'Tonite' or 'Found', but I hafe have been riting a nuw nyuw nyoo com-post-ishun of the too songs as a duet. I herd that the Thrown Room is open and that Eyowin is heer to visit for a wile, and she was so suporteev suportiv of me enterring the Mx Medduseld competishun that I wonted to sing it for her as a thank you in the Thrown Room.

If you wood like to sing the second part I cud meet you to rehers reheras rehears befor we pressent it to the King and Kween Qween? Plees let me no ay-es-ay-pee if you canot do it so I can try and find sumwon else beefor Eyowin leevs for Gondore agen.

Also I am sorry for my bad speling and riting. I am better at reeding music than I am with leter letters and words, but I have herd of a thing called a 'pen-pal' and I am triying to find a few peeple I cud rite to so I can improov my pen-man-sheep. It wud be nice if we cud keep in tuch this way, if you arr ok to do that?

Manee thanks agen and I luck forward to heering from you.

Shadowfox

Thain of The Mark
A Cavalry 'wigend, thoroughly frustrated and exhausted having searched CweÞ Ciese (and indeed the entirety of the Riddermarket), the newly established Edoras Infirmary, and then anywhere they could think of in hunt of Thalionwen, finally--with relief--hands over the message to the woman. Where she was found is... a mystery, but the important thing is that the letter was indeed placed in her hands.

Hælend @Thalionwen Hunigfolm,

Please present yourself to the Marshals in the Dragon Room at your earliest convenience, in your nicest, cleanest hælend garb.

Taethowen Anhyrne
Second Marshal of the Riddermark
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

Thain of The Mark
@Taethowen

Dear Taeth,

I didn't know we'd have to be so FORMAL now that you've been promoted to SECOND MARSHAL, if you want to SEE ME, you can JUST WALK FOUR DOORS DOWN IN THE RIDDERMARKET TO MY SHOP and I will FEED YOU CHEESE.

Admittedly I wasn't there today because I had to go to Grimm's house and bring him seven--I mean several--cats. He seemed to think there were too many, but I told him he was being ridiculous, as his house is obviously the sort of place with a mouse problem anyway, but then I realized that was probably a rude thing to say and had to pretend I *liked* his house, which is really just a rented room with a bed and a single decrepit wooden chair for furniture, WHY can men not just admit they prefer to live in comfort like the rest of us? Though I suppose your gentleman friend isn't like that at all, he seems rather keen on creature comforts and whatnot. Anyway, just find me if you need something! I know we're both back in the Cavalry and you outrank me now, but I'd much rather still be friends first, like we've always been.

Your devoted
Thalionwen
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Thain of The Mark
@Thalionwen Hunigfolm

A very bedraggled 'wigend curses their existence as they scurry back and forth between Æthelwigend Grimm's house and the Dragon Room, muttering, "I should have told the hælend it was a summons in the first place."

Hælend Thalionwen,

There seems to have been some confusion on your part. That was not a letter for visitation. It was an official summons by the Marshals. Get your hindquarters to the Dragon Room now.

Second Marshal Taethowen
Westmark Éored

Thain of The Mark
@Taethowen

Second Marshal Taethowen,

OOOH on my way, just have to stop and put on something not covered in cat hair. Shouldn't take long--I'm back at the Infirmary now, the First Marshal summoned Grimm for some reason and he told me he doesn't TRUST ME in his house alone, which is ABSURD as I am extremely trustworthy and it's not even a house, it's only a rented room.

Making haste,
Thalionwen
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Elven Enchanter
My dear son,

We ride out in the morning for battle. No one knows what may come. I’m writing this short note tonight in case the worst happens.

My son, I love you. You are the light of your mother and my world. After the War of the Ring (which I know you will have heard of) your birth brought some much needed joy back into my life.

Éomund, I joined the Cavalry to protect this world, right when it was on the verge of war. I never want the destruction that was the War of the Ring to happen again, which is why I stayed. And when you were born, I vowed to always protect my son and to do my part to make the world a safe place for you. I hope i made the right choice. Right now, we’re once again fighting evil from the South, to protect the good that has been restored.

If you’re reading this letter, I didn’t make it home. Right now, you’re a little boy with the whole wide world open to you. I hope Grimthain made it back to you. He’ll look out for you and your mother. The day we became men, we vowed to always look out for each other and any family we may have.

Éomund, I want you to know that you will grow into a wonderful young man. I regret not bring there to see you grow up, but whatever you do in life, will make me proud. You’re my son.

It’s time for me to sleep now. I pray that if you are reading this letter, you know how much I love you; and how much your mother loves you. She’ll show it in her own way.

I’m proud to call you my son. Be kind to others, listen to your elders, honour the king. I love you my son.

Your father,
Eodred

There is a second letter tucked in with the first. This one is addressed to Grimthain. @Allafyrefleorhtlig

Grimthain,

How long have we been friends? It feels like it’s been forever. And we’ve been more than friends - we are brothers. Especially since that night … (here the words trailed off in an unfinished thought)

I know I don’t need to say this, but, if anything should happen to me, please keep an eye on Éomund and Leigh, if you’re able to. I know my father was important to you and we both lost him too soon. I would hate for Éomund to grow up without a father figure he can turn to and that can teach him how to be a man. I know you will be that father for him if I am unable to do so.

I believe we made the right choice coming on this campaign. We must fight to protect the next generation, but when I think of my little boy … (once again, the sentence is left unfinished)

And Grimthain, if you make it back, and I don’t, please, don’t let it prevent you from living your life. Find a girl, have a family, get drunk in a pub every so often. We’ve been together through too much for either of us to stop living if something happens. If you don’t make it and I do, my life will always be missing something important, but I will keep living - for myself, for my family, for you. And I need you to promise me that you will do the same. Live your life brother and be happy.

Forth Eorlingas!

Your friend and brother,
Éodred

(OOC: I actually had most of this letter written quite a while before your first Throne Room post cause I thought Grimthain would need something)

RP post where the letter is read

Balrog
Dearest Shadowfox (@Allafyrefleorhtlig)

I am doing well.

I’m so glad that you enjoyed yourself. I count myself very blessed that we were able to perform together. I think you might be the best violinist I have ever heard, I am only sorry you didn’t have a violin that was worthy of your skill. Thank you so much for being a part of the song! That night made my heart soar for the first time in a very long time. You helped make me feel welcome and I will never forget your kindness and generosity.

I have indeed heard of the songs you mentioned. Are you planning on combining them? I think that would be amazing! You are so talented Shadowfox! And you want to sing it for Lady Eowyn? Oh Shadowfox, I think that would be the most wonderful thing. It would be my honor to sing it alongside you. I’m sure Marshal Gwai wound give me some time to rehearse with you so we can perform before Eowyn returns to Gondor.

Think nothing of your spelling, you are doing a lovely job and I would be happy to help you learn. Perhaps you could teach me how to read music in return? I’m afraid that when I look at it all the symbols, it make my head spin. Pen-pals sounds like a lovely title. I would welcome any letter I received from you.

I hope this letter finds you well, it occurs to me now that I’m not sure where you live. I’ll deliver this to the mail room and hopefully they have someone who can find you. I’m not sure how mail systems work, but I know we can figure it out.

Walpurga
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
Lailyn,

Perhaps I could come for tea early one morning when the bees are not yet awake! Although how I'll safely leave is a mystery, as I would prefer it not to be in a coffin! (I'm sure you know I jest!)

I'm very much interested in your solution to brewing the bilewitdox! I feel it is quite a challenge, as unlike other ale which would be pleasant to taste-test, I would imagine this would be difficult as you naturally will not want to be trying it yourself!

Yours,
Gwai Feorsetorra

@Lailorn
Meduseld Éored

Thain of The Mark
@Frostbite

þeófrea,

I finally figured out what karîb-âri means. My, you like to flatter, don't you? But I'll admit that I love it. I've coined an endearment of my own for you, but in Rohirric, not Westron or Adûnaic. Let me know if you need any help figuring it out.

I hope Thali is treating you well in the infirmary. I'm sorry I haven't been able to come by and visit. Some... things have happened in the last few days since the fires. Nearly all good things, but they are accompanied by lots of things to take care of, and I'm utterly frustrated that I cannot come around yet and kiss hold bed see you. How are your ribs, anyway? Does Thali have any idea when you'll be... recovered?

Hopefully I can come by in the next day or so, if I can figure out how to sneak past Thali to do so. I've had enough lectures--including a Royal one--about being prudent with my love life so far. Which... by the way, I visited the Throne Room today. Not about you, but you... came up. King Éomer has requested that you visit when you're on the mend, but I made no promises on your behalf. He's also keenly interetested in acquiring some Umbar Ale.

I should finish this off. I'm not even sure you're literate, and if someone else has to read this to you, it could be embarassing if I ramble on too much longer.

Longingly,
Your Karîb-âri

Ent Ancient
Gwai,

I'd be pleased for you to come by one morning! But there is one problem. My house needed some repairs so it’s not quite fit for visitors yet. But I think I have a solution to both that and the bees. I will see about setting up a table out front in the shade which is a very safe distance from the hives.

I will send you a note as soon as I have something suitable ready!

As for the bilewitdox - you're right. I had already considered the perils of taste-testing. I can assure you I have a plan. I will tell you about it when you come for tea and you can let me know what you think.

In the meantime, perhaps you might double-check I have the ingredients right. From what I remember it is light ale, beech tree sap and sour lemons* though I am not sure of the correct ratios.

Cordially,
Lail

@Gwai
---
( OOC: * Source for ingredients: Archived Aethelmund Tavern... where does one find lemons in Rohan?)

Thain of The Mark
Walpurga (@Frostbite)
Meduseld Barracks
The Cavalry Courtyard
Edoras

Dear Walpurga,

Thank you for wonting to sing with me agen. I wood be very happy to teech you to reed music in return for havving riting lessons with you. I am piking up my post from the mail room for now (I visit evry day) becus I am still triying to find more permennent playss to stay in Edoras. The peeple here are so luvly and kind (liyk you) that I want to triy and mayk it my new home. But it is veree doornting wen I hav allways livved under the roof of my empelowyer beforr.

Wood you like to meet me at The Eallníwe Inn for a furst rehearsal there?

Looking forwood to heering from you soon.

Shadowfox

New Soul
Dear Lail,

A table outdoors sounds like the perfect solution! I look forward to it, and sampling your handiwork! (I’m sure you know I refer to the honey, and not the bilewitdox!)

I am relieved to hear you have a plan for the bilewitdox tasting—and I desperately hope it has nothing to do with why you invited me over for “tea”! (Once more, I jest!). I don’t believe I ever heard what actually comprised the drink, but I have no doubt that you are correct. I only had it on two occasions, my sperewigend initiation followed by my paethfindian promotion, and from what I remember It certainly tasted like sap and fermented lemons. I’m a bit surprised there wasn’t more to it than that, but at least that will narrow down the combinations. My guess is it had quite a bit of the sap.

Yours,
Gwai

P.S. I’m unsure where to find lemons. A shop in the Riddermarket may sell them, although it seems unlikely, could warrant checking. Perhaps we should send away for some from Gondor? I recently became acquainted with a messenger from Gondor, who may be able to procure us some.

P.P.S. By the time the lemons reach us, they may be already fermented!

@Lailorn

Balrog
@Taethowen

Karîbâri,

You think of me as a pirate king eh? You must think I have an island in some tropical cove hidden from the world. Well, I must say that as of yet, I do not have my own island paradise. But the idea is a very fascinating one isn’t it? However, I must say I do hate the tropics. It’s far too hot and humid. As you can tell by my name I am a creature of the cold. Perhaps I should try to find an island in the north? Would you be my karîbâri there?

Thali is treating well enough. She’s only lectured me twice about the drinking and twice about the “heroics” in the burning tavern. She must be going soft. In all seriousness though she has me well on the mend. I don’t think it will be more than a few days until I can escape this place.

So, the king of Rohan knows about me, eh? I suppose it was only a matter of time before it happened. Given how chaotic and messy things have been for the last few days I am not surprised. With your forewarning, I will be expecting an official summons. I thank you, dear one, for the heads up. I can come up with a few barrels of Umbar Ale, and maybe a few more less reputable beverages as well. I’m sure the king would not mind having a private stock of whisky, specially distilled for him.

I cannot wait to see you again. These past few days have been tortuous enough. I feel as though there is a gap, a whole in my daily life that was not there but a week ago. I long to see you again, Taethowen, and I pray I will soon be able to gaze upon your countenance. Now that I have found you again, I do not want to lose you.

I think you can tell by now at least, I am indeed literate, my mother made sure I had the best education that was possible in Umbar. She spared no expense when it came to my tutors and lecturers. I would name them off but this far from Umbar it is likely their names have no meaning. Sufficive to say, no one but me is reading you missives.

You þeófrea
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Thain of The Mark
@Frostbite

My þeófrea,

A queen needs a king at her side (or at least this queen would, because being queen by oneself seems like a hard and lonely task) whether that king reigns over a ship or an island or a country. Would I be your karîbâri in the north? Perhaps... if there were furs and silks and fine wool and braziers aplenty, with hot tea or mulled wine... and you to warm my bed.

Thali may have you on the mend, but even I know cracked ribs take longer than a few days to heal. Even if she sets you free, it might be weeks yet before you're healed. You aren't... in too much pain, are you? And don't try to brush it off and say it's just a trifle. You took several nasty blows and then you wandered around for hours drinking and then got up to all sorts of shenanigans before finally passing out in the street in front of me. You deserve every lecture Thali gives you for scaring me like that.

As for informing the King... well, I think I'll be able to swing by this evening and visit. I have some news to share with you--news best shared in person--and everything will be clearer after that. But suffice to say, I needed the King to know about... us, whatever we may be at this point, from my own lips, and not by gossip.

Soon, I swear. I will see you soon. I've only spent two nights at your side and already my bed is too large and too empty without you in it. The... intensity of what I feel for you already is overwhelming and nearly frightening, and I do not want to lose you either.

And it is a relief that my letters will be read by only you, my 'Zagar. Though what I long for most right now is to see you face to face.

Your Karîbâri

Chieftain of The Mark

Silæs ap Trōtter
The Garret
Auld Town
Edoras

Mistress Beata þyld
Cold Man's Heath
Near Aldburg
The Eastfold

Sir,

I write this note to confirm that Master Aldor, known far and wide as The Sage, is ready for collection at your earliest convenience. He has little luggage to convey, but is unable to take saddle. Perhaps a small (and comfortable) cart might be arranged?

He and I look forward to your arrival.

Alles van die beste,

Beata

Ent Ancient
Dear Gwai,

Well, if you wanted to try bilewitdox, I would certainly not refuse you, but not to worry - that is not the intent of my invitation. Anyway, In light of your recent promotion, I suppose you will be tasting it as soon as I have finished making it...I only had it twice myself and I have to say that was one too many.

If you are able to find lemons, I would be most appreciative and if they are fermented when they get here, then all the better! I suppose limes would do in a pinch, too. I don't think anyone will notice the difference, do you?

Watch for my note in the next few days once I've sorted my house a little.

Looking forward to having you over for tea (and only tea, well and some cakes, too of course, but nothing fermented I assure you!)...

Yours,
Lail

@Gwai

New Soul
Dear Calimar,

I hope this note finds you well. I happen find myself in need of acquiring lemons. I don’t believe I know where to get them here in the Mark. Are you able to request these from any of your contacts in Minas Tirith? I thought in your role as a messenger you may know where to acquire these. I am, of course, happy to compensate you for your time and trouble!

I appreciate you looking into this!

Gwai Feorsteorra
Third Marshal
Dragon Room
Edoras

@Calimir

Dúnadan
Cal' arrived at the message room of Edoras. He was glad it hadn't burned down last night. That would have left him without a job. There were no messages for him to ride to Gondor, but he saw one addressed to him.

He opened the parchment and read it quickly. He smiled, glad to help an officer of Rohan, and wrote a reply on the back.

To:
Gwai Feorsteorra
Third Marshal
Dragon Room
Edoras

M'lady Marshal,

I am planning to ride to Minas Tirith this evening. I have no messages for the King there, but go to ask for help rebuilding Edoras.

I hope I will be back in town in 5 days.

I will bring your lemons - my mother and father grow the best on the Pelennor. You will find me with Sheemie Rheus at the jewelry shop in the Riddermarket.

Best wishes,

Calimir Gardinir
Errand-rider of Gondor.

PS: Your silver F will be ready for collection when I see you. It looks very fine. A Dwarf from the Lonely Mountain helped make it.

Dúnadan
@Gwai Sorry, never tagged you in my letter!
man of gondor < Image > heart of rohan

New Soul
Dear Calimar,

Thank you for your errand to the King! I am sure it is most appreciated.

Thank you also for the lemons, they will be quite helpful! We are brewing a special type of ale.

I look forward to seeing you at Sheemie’s shop on your return, and I’m excited to hear how a dwarf came to hear of the request for the silver letter!

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Gwai Feorsteorra

@Calimir

Taeth,

I’m sure I’ll see you shortly, but just scribbling this in case I don’t see you in the next couple of days. I know you’re leaving for Helm’s Deep soon, if you don’t mind, could you please request your staff there to leave Grimthain’s belongings where they are, as he will be along to collect them personally.

Thanks!

Gwai

@Taethowen
Meduseld Éored

Thain of The Mark
@Gwai

Gwai,

The timing of my departure for Helm's Deep is still up in the air, but I will send notice right away for Grimthain's belongings to remain untouched.

Taeth

To: The Barracks-master
Hornburg
Westmark

Please leave Æthelwigend Grimthain's personal belongings undisturbed. He has been transferred to the Meduseld eored, and will pick up his belongings at his earliest convenience, once his new duties allow.

Taethowen Anhyrne
Westmark Eored

To: Taethowen Anhyrne
Edoras, Riddermark

Dear Tae,

I'm glad to hear you've returned to the Mark. I would be happy to help with your shop again, I was honestly considering relocating to Edoras at taking over ownership of it if you weren't going to be returning anytime soon. Business has been slow in Abrocenfla, and I'm selling my house.

As for your family... I do have news. But it is news best told in person. I should be able to be in Edoras within a fortnight, maybe a little less. I believe I recall where your house is, so I will probably just come knock on your door.

Eldra

Dúnadan
Mr & Mrs Gardinir
Four Fields
The Pelennor
Minas Tirith
Dear Mater and Pater

I hope you are well. I will see you soon, I have an important message to bring to Gondor. There have been several fires in Edoras and the people of Rohan will need help.

I should be home in three days - if the weather stays good - but I won't stay long. I'm sure I will have news to carry from King Aragorn to Eomer. The people of Rohan have been very kind to me and I want to help rebuild the town.

Oh, I have an order for lemons, from a Marshal of the Cavalry! Could you please set some of the summer crop aside for me.

Much love
Your son,
Calimir

New Soul
A mid-sized package addressed to the Lead Healer of the Edoras Infirmary arrived from the Houses of Healing of Minas Tirith to Riddermark Ærendgewrit. Among the content of the parcel are clean, carefully packed bandages and gauzes, various ointments and tinctures, dried healing herbs, including athelas, and a brief note for @Thalionwen Hunigfolm

Dear Thalionwen

We have not had the pleasure of meeting, so I hope you will forgive me for addressing you by your first name.

News of the great fire in Edoras has reached Gondor and please allow me to express my condolences for the losses the people of Edoras suffered in the fire. In the coming days and weeks we will surely see an official response from King and Queen regarding the assistance Gondor can provide in the relief and rebuilding of Edoras, but at this moment the staff of the Houses of Healing, and I wanted to reach out and offer assistance.

I am uncertain about your medical supplies, but I tried to place the basics in this parcel – clean bandages and gauze, ointments for burns, various healing herbs, mainly those for pain relief and burns. I also included athelas… If there’s anything else you need and I, or the staff of the Houses of Healing, can provide, please don’t hesitate to ask. I will do my best to help in any way I can.

Yours sincerely
Nessa de Argosy
Apprentice healer
Houses of Healing
Minas Tirith
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Elven Enchanter
Stuffed inside the letter to Grimthain was one more note from Éodred, this time addressed to Leigh. Even though Leigh is illiterate, Éodred hoped that Grimthain or any literate person in the village would be able to read the letter to her should such a task be necessary.

My dear Leigh,

We ride out for battle tomorrow. No one knows what will happen. If you’re reading this, it means the worst has happened and I have fallen in battle, like my father before me.

Leigh, I know life has been hard. We’ve both lost too much. But if I can’t be there, I need you to be there for Éomund. When my father died, I was alone in the world except for my sword-brother Grimthain, and later you. Éomund will still have you (and if Bema wills it, Grimthain) and I need you, both of you is possible, to be present for him if I can’t be there with you.

I hope you can understand why I rode with the Cavalry to defend our country yet again. Losing my father was the worst thing to ever happen to me, but I know that he died defending the walls of the Hornburg against the traitor Saruman. Once again, there is a great evil that must be defeated. If I am to hope that my son can grow up in peace (something we didn’t have), I must ride out in the morning. If I die, I know it’s in the hope of making the world a better place.

I didn’t want to leave you and Éomund, but I swore an oath to the King and I must hold to it. Should the worst happen, I know you will do a wonderful job at raising our son. He may look like me, but he shares your nurturing heart. I caught him sneaking a couple of extra apples into the saddlebags - for Grimthain and me or the horses, I am not certain, but I know he wanted everyone to have an extra snack.

I trust you to raise him and help him grow into the wonderful young man I know he will become. He’s a tender child Leigh, remember that. Keep him safe, but let him have the adventure that a young boy needs. The world is a safer place than during our childhood.

Leigh, I love you. You were such a comfort to me and I hope I was able to give you some as well. I rode out to battle because of my love for you, for our son, and for our country. I hope I can return safely to you, but if that is not to be the case, I hope you, Éomund, and, Bema-willing, Grimthain will be able to have a peaceful life.

It’s late and I’ve written many letters this evening. I must go to sleep now, but rest assured that I carry you and Éomund in my heart always.

Your husband
Éodred

@Allacan ob Burzum (Ready whenever you are. I can't remember, does Éomund find out about this one or not?)

Thain of The Mark
@Mama's Murder Muffin

My þeófrea,

I am sorry I was not able to make it this evening as planned to visit, and as I write this letter, a Cavalry officer waits impatiently, so I cannot take long. Apparently there is some sort of... surprise training exercise that has been ordered by the King.

The news I had hoped to tell you tonight... well. Through a set of circumstances that even I don't understand yet, I've been promoted from a mere pæthfindian to the rank of Second Marshal. But that story will have to wait, as even a Marshal apparently cannot keep avoiding the King's command for long.

I will return soon, I presume.

Kâribâri

To: Starbreeze (@Fairy Nuff)
Orthanc Tower

I hope your trip to Imladris was pleasant. I'm writing to inform you that my cousin Eldreda has arrived and she will be taking over my shop in the Riddermarket for now, at least as long as I am the Westmark Marshal. I have been called away on some personal matters before I take my post at the Hornburg, and so she will be the one to greet you at my house in Edoras, and she will be living there as well.

Taethowen Anhyrne

To: Selðryðe (@Almarëa Mordollwen
An Unnamed Inn in Edoras

I hope that you came through the fires unscathed, and that you were not staying at the Horse & Rider Inn! I believe I wrote before, informing you of my promotion to Second Marshal of the Mark, and of my posting at the Hornburg. I have also had some personal matters come up that I must attend to, and so I will be traveling to the Eastfold very soon.

My cousin Eldreda has arrived safely in Edoras, though, and she will be taking over running Awesnis for the time being. She will also be living at my house, and will be the one to greet you upon your arrival there.

Taethowen Anhyrne

Balrog
@Taethowen

Kâribâri

It sounds as though the Cavalry is finally coming to their senses. It’s about time. I don’t think there is anyone in Rohan that deserves that position more than you. I am proud of you, even though I've only really known you for a few days now. I would deliver this congratulations in person but both Thali and Zarâm have seen it fit to keep me in this damned shed for the duration of my convalescence. They said something about the fires and suspicions but I think they are over worrying. What did happen with that? I only recall the fire in the tent then Allacan setting the abandoned pub on fire. Was there another one? Seems like Rohan has some fire bugs skittering about. With you in the command structure though, I am sure things will begin to turn around for the Mark. I will miss you while you’re away.

Þeófrea

P.S. if this is a Cavalry event, does that mean Thali has to go to? Perhaps I will gain a better measure of freedom while she’s gone

Thain of The Mark
@Mama's Murder Muffin

Þeófrea,

That was a ridiculous Cavalry exercise, but I met an intriguing--and honestly, quite hopeful, in terms of skills, if a bit lacking in experience and patience--new recruit. She... reminds me of you, in some ways.

I'm sure by now you've figured out that Thali was required to attend the exercise as well. She, ah... finally put the pieces together about us. Mostly because I had to have her help with those um... Bites. That you left behind. They've mostly healed up now. No signs of infection. They might scar, though, and I honestly quite like the idea. Something tangible to show that all of this actually happened...

Whatever Thali says, don't mind her. Whatever happens between us is up to us. And I quite liked it all. Especially when you licked your blood off my fingers. And the shock in your eyes when I chased the taste of it in your mouth.
She had some interesting things to say though. About you. Warning me as if I didn't know about your rather obvious flirtation habits. She used an interesting euphemism. "Stabled his pony everywhere from here to Angmar" I think was how she put it. I thought you might find it amusing.

And she mentioned something she calls a Naughty Wench Box so as much as I want to see you, please forgive me if I avoid the infirmary for a few more days. I'm too tired to have yet another conversation with Thali of that nature.

As for the fires... I... thought I said something when I came to see you before dawn that first day after them. But everything from that night is so jumbled that I... am not certain what was a dream and what actually happened.

There was another fire. At one of the inns. Someone died. It seems to have started about the same time as the pub fire, though, and so if needed I will vouch for you and your companions, especially as I was there because of Cavalry orders (sorry, my love, I could not tell you.)

I miss you. I desperately want to see your face again. I want to hold you. This week has been far too long. I want your mouth on mine. To lose myself again in your touch. I want with an intensity that frightens me because I have never felt something this consuming in my life.
Your Kâribâri

Thain of The Mark
@Lailorn

Lailyn,

Thank you for your help in the Riddermarket, with the incident with Pele. You took time out of your day to help Thali and Pele, and to make sure that key Cavalry people who needed to know what was happening were informed. I am very grateful.

I have a favor to ask of you. I have been discussing some things with First Marshal Shivased and Third Marshal Gwai, and we've come to the conclusion that the Cavalry needs a civilian-run presence outside of the Dragon Room. We were wondering if you would be willing to help us run a liaison office in the Riddermarket. This would be a place for anyone to come and request Cavalry help for a situation they don't feel capable of handling on their own, or to make us aware of any concerning information or situations they encounter.

You have a way of making people comfortable, and I know that we Cavalry officers can sometimes be intimidating. Due to your previous Cavalry experience, we felt that you would be the best person to help run this endeavor.

It does not have to be permanent. Perhaps other civilians will step forward over time, and you would be more than welcome to recruit interested parties! But for a while, we'd love to have you as our Liaison Office Manager, so to speak. Any Cavalry members on patrol in the Riddermarket would be available for any assistance that you require.

Please reply as soon as possible to let us know your decision.

Taethowen
Westmark Éored

Ent Ancient
Lailyn had to read Taethowen's note twice before it sank in. They wanted her to what? She had so much to do already...! Could you even say no to a Marshal? But the more she thought about it, the more she realized she was willing to help especially since Taeth had been the one to ask.

Dear Taethowen, Second Marshal of the Mark,

You know I really didn't go out of my way much. I only did what I expect anyone else in my place would have done... I hope Pele is doing all right.

I have considered your request and though I admit I have some misgivings about whether I am the best person for such a role...if you and the Marshals think it fits then I would be happy to help. I think it is a good idea especially in light of, well, everything lately...

Please let me know when and where I am needed and I will be there.

Sincerely,
Lailyn

@Taethowen

Dúnadan
Mr Calimir Gardinir
Errand-Rider Lodge
Edoras
Rohan
Dearest son,

I have three bags of fine lemons ready when you visit. This message may not reach you before you ride for Gondor, or it might even cross paths with you.

I am so looking forward the seeing you and hearing all you news,

Much love, safe travels

Mother

Doorwarden of The Mark
Dearest Mother and Father,

I hope this letter finds you both well. Dicun and I have returned to Edoras to find it already recovering from the terrible fires. Dicun went straight back to the cavalry barracks with Arlette. He says she was a joy to ride, I am happy we could find him a good horse for his time in the cavalry. I am relieved to say my house and shop are still standing, thankfully spared from the fires. I have been lucky, I know this, and I cannot be anything but thankful for that. From the stories I have heard around the market, there was only one death, but after the fires someone was attacked. No one knows if the two are linked so far, it doesn't bear thinking about. I will stay safe, don't worry about me.

Mother, I hope you are recovering well and continue to rest. I wish you would have let me stay longer to nurse you, it was only Dicun who needed to return to Edoras. Even if my home and shop had been burnt down, there is nothing I would have been able to do. If you need anything from the city, let me know, and I will have it sent to you as soon as possible.

With Autumn setting in, I know things will be a little less stressful on the farm Father. I know with Mother out of action it might be more work for you, make sure you don't work too hard. Neither of you are getting any younger and I worry this will be a hard winter for you both without Dicun.

Anyway, I send my love to you both. If Dicun doesn't write, I send his love too, the cavalry will be keeping him busy I'm sure.

You daughter,
Aethelu

Chieftain of The Mark

Masters Jocko, Timmo, Sloe and Mo'
C/o World's End Tavern
Hostellers' Row
Edoras

Lads,

I hope to reach Edoras by Donderdag, Vrydag at the latest. I trust work on the Hall is now completed?

Please ensure that the guest room of the Garrett is aired and prepared. Also that a goodly stock of wood and coal is on hand for the fireplace. Master Aldor's old bones are prone to the roomatiz.

Long days, pleasant nights,
Silæs

Thain of The Mark
To: Ceadda
Ærn Anhyrne
Eastfold

Ceadda,

I will be departing Edoras and heading to the estate as soon as I've posted this letter. Through an interesting set of circumstances, I have re-joined the Cavalry and been appointed the Second Marshal of the Westmark. As I will be posted at the Hornburg indefinitely for the time being, I begged a few weeks of leave from the King and will be making my way to the estate to help you finalize winter preparations. I will be making a brief detour into Anorien, however, on a personal matter, so by the time this letter reaches you, it should still be at least two or three days yet before my arrival.

I look forward to meeting your family.

Taethowen

To: @Thalionwen Hunigfolm
Edoras Infirmary

Dear Thali,

I'm sure that Frost's departure from the infirmary yesterday was sudden, if he even told you of it at all. He had an audience with King Éomer. I was present for it, and overall things ended... satisfactorily. Frost returned home with me after that point, but he was called away, out of Rohan, quite suddenly on other matters. I wanted to make sure you knew not to worry when he did not return to the infirmary, or when you did not see him around at all.

I will be departing myself for my estate in the Eastfold after I have posted this letter. I've received a few weeks of personal leave to finish up some matters that were left hanging, as I need to check in with the steward I'd hired and make sure that winter preparations on the estate are going as they should be. If you need to reach me, please address any mail to Ærn Anhyrne.

My cousin, Eldreda, will be running Awesnis for now, even after my return, since it will be a challenge to keep up with my Marshal duties at the Hornburg as well as commissions at the shop. She will also be living at my house. I've... warned her about the strange chickens of yours that I've somehow acquired, but since it seems you're not leaving the Mark after all, if you wish to have them transferred to the infirmary, please do make arrangements with her.

There should be a parcel accompanying this letter, as well. It is the garments that were commissioned for your orc-friend, Zarâm, during the summer festival. I do not know if she is still in Rohan or if she has already departed, and have no idea of how to reach her to deliver these. Will you see that she gets them?

With my cousin's arrival, Eldreda brought news of my family. I'm sure you recall that my birth father passed many years ago, before you and I even met. It seems, though, that the rest of my family has also perished in the time I was away.

I've never felt so alone in my life, Thali, and I don't know how to do this. Even if I wasn't close with them, it brought me comfort to think of my mother and sister and brother being alive and well, wherever they were. And now to know that they haven't been, for quite some time even, makes the days seem dark and long.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to burden you with this. I hope that you are well, and that you've found the funding you need for your infirmary.

I hope to return to Edoras in a little over a fortnight, or perhaps just a bit longer, depending on what needs to be done at the estate.

Taeth

P.S. Can you ask Alwin to see if Frost left anything behind there, and to send it on to my Eastfold estate if so? He'll... know what I'm talking about. I would have written separately to ask him, but was unsure if he is able to read.

P.P.S. Please don't say anything to Eldreda about Frost. As far as she knows, I'm still married. I didn't get a chance to tell her anything before... well. Last night was difficult. Let's just leave it at that.

To: Amethyst Copperpick (@Elarith)
Golde ge Eorcanstan

Amethyst,

Thank you for the work you must be putting in on the commission I requested. I had planned to pick it up before I needed to depart for the Eastfold, but circumstances have changed and I must leave before I can do so. If you need the final monies for it before I return to Edoras (I will be away at least a fortnight), please send for my cousin, Eldreda, at Awesnis Gærwe Nædleprica. She will be running my seamstress shop in the Riddermarket now that I've been stationed as the Westmark Marshal.

Taethowen

To: First Marshal @Shivased and Third Marshal @Gwai
Dragon Room
Edoras

Shiva and Gwai,

I received permission from King Éomer to take a few weeks of personal leave, and I will be doing so immediately. I have some matters to finalize at my estate before I report for duty at the Hornburg.

I plan to return in a little over a fortnight.

Second Marshal Taethowen

To: Æthelwigend Grimthain (@Allacan ob Burzum)
Meduseld Barracks
Cavalry Courtyard
Edoras

Æthelwigend Grimthain,

I had hoped to speak with you at some point in person, but circumstances have wholly conspired against me. I am about to set off for my family estate in the Eastfold to make sure my steward has been able to start winter preparations without any trouble, and I expect I will be departing for the Hornburg within a few days after my return to Edoras.

As you know, I've been posted as the Westmark Marshal. I will confess that I have little knowledge of Helm's Deep or the surrounding area, and I am soon to be in need of a ceorl. Given the... circumstances of both your transfer and my own promotion, I was wondering if you could give me recommendations for someone you trust in the local area who might be interested in filling the position.

Also, Marshal Gwai passed on your request to have your personal belongings left alone until you could return to retrieve them on your own, and I wanted to let you know that I did pass that request on to the barrack's master at the Hornburg. I'm rather late in informing you of such, but I did it the same day that Gwai requested it of me.

Second Marshal Taethowen
Westmark Éored

Thain of The Mark

To: Second Marshal Taethowen (@Taethowen)
Ærn Anhyrne
(n/r Fenmarch/Firien Wood)
Eastfold

Dear Marshal Taethowen,

Firstly, my sincere apologies if it is forward of me to have obtained your personal address and in sending this message to you there; I saw no benefit to you not receiving my reply until your return, although if your intention had been to avoid cavalry business while on personal leave then by all means save reading the remainder of this letter until your return to the Dragon Room - it contains nothing of urgency, I assure you - and I wish you the very best in all your winter preparations.

Regarding your recent promotion, congratulations again on being made Westmark Marshal; your reputation makes me confident my old Éored is in very capable hands. I am of course at your service for anything you need; I intend to return to the Helm's Deep at some point to collect my belongings and get my own affairs in the area in order also, but don't intend to leave imminently, so perhaps if we are lucky we can make the journey westward together and we can perhaps talk more openly and honestly on the road, and perhaps I can give you a tour of the keep on our arrival? Unless you would prefer to travel alone and have a completely fresh start at the Keep, which I would respect also.

I have included below three names of individuals at the keep (not all cavalry, but all trustworthy and showing promise) I thought might be interested in becoming a ceorl, for your consideration. I must be frank and honest however, I do have some concerns that my abrupt departure from Helm's Deep and subsequent transfer of Éored's may have soured some people's feelings towards me, especially as it co-incided with reports of a potential traitor in the ranks. I fear I have had poor luck with superstitious folk in the past and would not be surprised if some may have taken my sudden departure and absence as evidence of my guilt. I am, of course, happy to answer any and all questions put to me on the topic, or undergo any scrutiny or investigations the Marshals deem fit. Indeed, I only mention this here as my reputation and standing at Helm's Deep may not be what you expect on arrival/enquiry there, and in case we are in fact unable to meet again before you head to Helm's Deep. I trust you can appreciate that sometimes a stern and discipline-driven commander who prefers to keep to himself socially may not be the most popular of people among the more mischievous ranks, and a far too convenient scapegoat in the circumstances.

I am more than happy to discuss this and other things when next we have an opportunity, and would be honoured by your company at any time that would be convenient for you. But for now, those names as promised:-

Aldith

This down-to-earth woman would likely be the one I would recommend the most. She lives a little way out from Helm's Deep itself, in Sceornbeorg, but is well known in the neighbouring villages and farms. A well educated person despite her humble origins, she has taught some of the local youngsters how to read and write, and is exceptionally organised and professional, and very practical. Her excellent nature with youngsters makes me sure she could handle those more rambunctious and pushy soldiers very easily - she certainly gave me a run for my money when negotiating her fees to tutor my own ward! I'm certain she held a senior washerwoman position at the Hornburg for a time, and even the sperewigends knew better than to give her lip. And if I remember rightly her parents were once housekeepers or stewards for a noble family, so I suspect she will have picked up some tricks of the trade from them.

Teon

This older gentleman has been ceorl to at least one other superior commander in his time, though I cannot presently recall exactly who, and thereafter served as a housekeeper for a noble family in the Westfold. If you are looking for unflappable experience this is your man - he has probably got more years of stewardship under his belt that I do years of my life! Everyone respects him, and he has a unique skill of being ever-present without ever feeling intrusive or in the way. His mind remains sharp, but I confess his age does slow him much and I am not certain if he would wish the challenge of returning to work again, although with some small adjustments I am confident he would still be capable of serving you well, and can likely offer great insights and wisdom you will struggle to find anywhere else.

Dryhtguma Talis

I appreciate that normally the ceorl's are those not holding rank, to avoid any confusion, but I feel I would be remiss to not put forward this particular name. This young cavalry soldier has proven himself time and again one with exceptional discretion, manners and proper respect for the chain of command. He is fresh faced to the cavalry but has already shown exceptional promise and would likely benefit from an opportunity to serve as an aid for a Marshal, and I suspect would impress you if given an opportunity to excel out from under the shadow of his more loud and rambunctious comrades.

I hope that these will offer some food for thought, and I will give thought to any others I might suggest should you find them unwilling or unable to take on the position.

Safe journeys, and may all your endeavours prove successful.

Loyally yours,

Æthelwigend Grimthain

Æthelwigend of the Meduseld Éored

Doorwarden of The Mark
Taethowen
Ærn Anhyrn
Fenmarch / Firien Wood (somewhere like that)
Eastfold
Rohan

Dearest Taethowen,

My sincerest thanks for your missive vis-a-vis your commission at Golde ge Eorcanstan. It is good to know that I have a little extra time for the finishing touches, should I need it, but it will certainly be completed by the time you return. Final payment can wait until such time. I am excited to see what you make of the finished piece, my darling. Did I give you my business card? I enclose one now just in case it slipped my mind.

I do hope your abrupt departure was due to nothing untoward and wish you a safe and speedy journey.

At your service, and your family's,

Amethyst Copperpick
Goldsmith in residence (for the present) at Golde ge Eorcanstan

P.S I had second thoughts and have enclosed a handful of business cards, in case the first one gets lost, and so that you may distribute them to any friends or family who may be wishing for similar beautiful jewellery work or garment design.

Knight of The Mark
Second Marshal Taethowen @Taethowen
Ærn Anhyrn
Eastfold
Rohan

Taeth,

Take all the time you need. The Third Marshal and myself will keep the Cavalry running and the Westmark in good hands while you are away. Don't worry about things here, spend your time settling personal affairs, and return when you are finished. If it takes longer than the king gave you time, don't rush. Leave that to me; you have permission to be gone as long as you need, and should the king be upset, I will go yell at him again.

Also, while you are in the Eastmark could you do me a personal favour and see the enclosed package delivered to my estate? It is just some letters and instructions for my estate manager. The messenger bringing this doesn't seem that intelligent and I had trouble getting him to understand he was going to two different estates in the same area. I think it is better to just have him come to you.

Shivased
First Marshal of the Mark.

Accompanying the letter is a small packet of other letters, sealed in wax stamped with a running horse and labelled with the estate manager's name and "Braiarwood Estate. Eastfold, Rohan."
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Thain of The Mark
Amethyst Copperpick (@Elarith)
Golde ge Eorcanstan
Edoras

Dear Amethyst,

The trip was planned, though it was moved up slightly as I had to accomodate my upcoming Cavalry duties (did you hear that I was promoted to Second Marshal? I wasn't sure how far that news had spread before I departed Edoras), and I... had to make a detour. Sadly, with my cousin's arrival she brought news of my mother and siblings. I'd lost contact with them some time ago, and apparently they all passed away in a fire at a Gondorian inn a few years back. I made a brief detour into Anorien to visit their graves.

I will be sure to stop by the shop upon my return to Edoras before I head to the Hornburg.

Taethowen

To: Æthelwigend Grimthain (@Allacan ob Burzum)
Meduseld Barracks
Cavalry Courtyard
Edoras

Æthelwigend Grimthain,

I would welcome a travel companion from Edoras to the Hornburg. I hope to return to Edoras from my estate in about a fortnight, or maybe a few days longer, if you are willing to wait for me.

As for rumors or superstitions, I prefer to weigh a person's integrity by my own interactions with them. You strike me as a man of principle who has had to make hard decisions over the years. I myself do not often loiter among the mischevious ranks, unless I am forcibly dragged there.

Thank you for the recommendations for ceorl. I look forward to meeting each of them.

Second Marshal Taethowen

To: First Marshal @Shivased
Dragon Room
Edoras

Shiva,

I had not realized that our family lands were so close to each other. I wonder if we hadn't ever met during our childhoods?

Your letters and instructions have been delivered to Braiarwood.

Taethowen

P.S. Please don't yell at the King again.

Ent Ancient
@WRONG LEVER KRONK!
Taethowen
Auld Town, Edoras

Dear Taethowen,

I did not know where to write you while you were gone so I hope you receive this when you return to Edoras. There is no need for you to reply in a hurry but I hope your leave was restful!

Everything here has been fine though I am still trying to settle in. The first few days were certainly a bit of a whirlwind with everything going on. I wondered if you might like to meet for that drink if you have a chance? I don’t know about you but I could use one...or possibly two.

I’m happy to be home but it’s all a bit strange at the same time. I don’t know if you understand, but I find myself feeling like I am hovering between two Edorases - the city of my past where I spent so much of my time with the Cavalry and the city today. The one where I am still trying to figure out where and how I fit in after all the time I’ve been away. So many people I once knew are gone and though it is home, sometimes the city feels different to me. Or maybe it is me who has changed.

Anyway...enough of that. I didn’t write you intending to ramble on.

What I mean to say is it would be nice to see a familiar face. I know it’s been years since we’ve really known each other and it would take ages to catch up on all we’ve both done in that time. There are some stories I am not ready to tell...but if you wanted to humor an old comrade with some company even for a short while, well, I would like that. If you have too much to do between the Cavalry and your shop and your own life, then I wholeheartedly understand and will not begrudge you in the least! But if you ever find you are looking for a friend, I am here.

Sincerely,
Lailyn

Thain of The Mark
@Iorek Byrnison

To: Walpurga
Meduseld Barracks
Cavalry Courtyard
Edoras

Delivered is a large parcel, with a letter attached.

Dear Walpurga,

I'm sorry that I am unable to deliver these in person. Enclosed are two of the three wolf pelts that we harvested on the Cavalry training exercise. I hope you'll forgive me for keeping one for myself.

I enjoyed our conversations while we were on the mission, and I hope that you will forgive me for being so insistent on caring for the injuries to your hands. I did not mean to dampen your spirits, only for you to realize the importance of protecting your hands. They should be your last line of defense, not your first. I hope that they have healed well, regardless.

I will be leaving for the Hornburg within the next couple of days. I had hoped to have a chance to grab a meal with you at some point, but fate seems to be preventing me from making many--if any--meaningful connections in Edoras.

I hope, whatever journeys life takes you on next, that you will be happy.

Second Marshal Taethowen

@Lail
New Town
Edoras

Dear Lail,

I have just returned, and having your letter here waiting for me made me smile! I will be departing within a few days for my new posting at the Hornburg, though, so the sooner we can meet, the better. My cousin, Eldreda, is running the shop now, so all I have to worry about are some Cavalry duties in preparation for my departure.

I could definitely use a drink as well, and I understand perfectly what you mean about hovering between two Edorases, although... in all honesty, I feel like I'm hovering between two versions of me, and two version of Rohan.

I think, for us, it is both ourselves and the Mark that have changed. But we can talk about this more when we meet. I would prefer something quieter than a pub, though, if that's all right with you. Perhaps my home, or yours?

Taethowen

Ent Ancient
@WRONG LEVER KRONK!
Dear Taeth,

In that case, I am very glad I wrote you when I did! I’d be happy to meet you whenever it is best for you. I have been busy getting things started and settling in but not so much I could not make time for you. Any evening would be fine for me if that suits you?

Maybe you are right - both us and our home have changed. I am sorry you feel this way, too, but all the same it’s nice to know someone else understands...

I would love to have you come by my home and I’m equally happy to visit yours. With all your travelling of late, perhaps it would be nicer for you to stay home? It will also save you a trip out of your way to New Town and I can bring a bit of food and something to drink if you let me know what you like.

Looking forward to it,
Lailyn

Thain of The Mark
@Lail

Dear Lail,

Will tomorrow evening work for you? I'm not sure what might come up in the last day or so before I have to depart, and so I'd rather make sure to fit our chat in sooner rather than later, so that it doesn't get missed altogether.

My home will suffice just fine. Eldreda may be around, but I'll see if she can give us some privacy that evening. I'm sure commissions for Mettare gowns are starting to trickle in at the shop, so perhaps she'll need to spend an evening there anyway.

As for food and drink... I'm rather sick of cured meats and sausage at the moment, and hard boiled eggs, but otherwise I'm not terribly picky. I do like mead, though, and if you have some of your own brew that's ready, I would love to try it!

Taethowen

Ent Ancient
@WRONG LEVER KRONK!
Dear Taeth,

Yes that will be perfect and in case something does come up, I understand. Life in Edoras has certainly been full of the unexpected of late, some good, some not.

Mettare gowns already?! How time is escaping me... I had not even given it a thought but now I will have to! It’s always been one of my favourite times of year and it will be so nice to be home to celebrate again.

Travel provisions certainly leave much to be desired. I will be sure to bring fresh food and some mead! Naturally, I am partial to it as well. I regret it won’t be mine - it still needs time to ferment (and I’m not sure my first batch will be any good). I will aim to be at your house right around dusk.

Looking forward to it,
Lailyn

Doorwarden of The Mark
@Resistance is Futile
Taethowen Anhyrne
Ærn Anhyrn
Eastfold

Dearest Taethowen,

I am so sorry for your loss. What awful news. I hope visiting their graves has brought you some peace and comfort.

Congratulations on your promotion. It had reached my ears, but alas, I am not overly familiar with the different ranks and titles and such of the Cavalry and didn't realise what this meant at first. I gather now this means you're in charge, so well done to you. Do you have to drink the bill-with-ducks I have heard Gwai talk of? That dear boy Calimir has gone to fetch lemons so she can make some more, so no fear, you won't miss out if you haven't had any yet!

Your commission is nearing completion, and I am very pleased with it so far, I must admit. It should be ready on your return.

At your and your family's service, as ever,
Amethyst Copperpick

Thain of The Mark
Amethyst Copperpick (@Elarith )
Golde ge Eorcanstan
Edoras

Amethyst,

Thank you for your condolences.

Technically, yes, I'm supposed to drink the bilewitdox upon my promotion, but I had it my first time around in the Cavalry and I am not looking forward to repeating the experience.

I don't think I've made Calimir's acquaintance, but I'm glad he was able to help the Cavalry out.

I'm glad to hear work on my commission is going well. I look forward to seeing it!

Taethowen

Chieftain of The Mark

Master Silæs ap Trötter
Eastfold

Bossman,

When you coming home? You mentioned Thursday, or Friday. Was that this month, next month or the ones after?

All is prepared for your guest.

Long days, pleasant nights,
Jocko

c/o Petty Wyncribbe
World's End Tavern
Hostellers' Row
Edoras

Esquire of The Mark
@Eléowyn

*It was written hasty, unlike the neat script she usually held for ledgers or orders. And the paper it was on was rather crumbled. But perhaps in it's own way, the note would still offer some joy none the less.*

Lady Eleowyn,
so much has happened since last I took the pen: the festival, the fire, the tensions in the riddermarket, the loss in the fire, and other matters. However, after talk with @Amadhrill and working certain matters out, I want to confirm that: Yes. We will indeed be setting up the Aeldsel Inn once more. After the fire we just set up a tent to get some food and drinks going for any who needed it but.. we will either see if the old building can be restored or perhaps with the help of the community.. a new one to be built. There is so much that is lost.. and so many things too that are being rebuilt and made anew. We want to be a part of such.

In joy and respect,
Eldrith, pubmistress and quartermaster.
Kill-Stealing Skirt Wench
When others ride out to win renown, let me chosen to tend the house.

Dúnadan
Master Calimir Gardinir
Edoras, Rohan
Dearest son,

Have you got caught up with duties in Rohan? We expected you to visit last week! Your father has sent the lemons you asked for with another errand-rider, Olimir. He will take them directly to Rohan's cavalry headquarters. They were for the Third Marshal, I believe? Olimir will make sure they reach her.

Let us know how you are doing. And what you have been doing.

We all look forward to seeing you soon,

Much love,
Mater x
Mr & Mrs Gardinir
Four Fields
The Pelennor
Minas Tirith
man of gondor < Image > heart of rohan