Dragon Room II - New Beginnings - CLOSED

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Knight of The Mark
a
Atop a high hill overlooking Edoras, opposite the Golden Hall, an imposing building stands guard over the city. Three flags - red, blue and green - fly from the battlements. At the top of the steps soldiers stand guard on either side of an ornately carved door.
Inside the building is lit by torches on the walls. At the far end of the hall is a raised dais with three chairs where the Marshals Sit. Behind each chair is draped a flag of each Eored, and behind that doors lead into three offices, one for each marshal. Sperewigends move about taking messages and running errands, while more guards stand inside the doors and at either end of the dais. There is an air of formality and movement to the hall that, while intimidating to those who have never experienced it before, is comfortable and familiar to those who have.
This day the room has an air of expectancy and ‘newness’. For the first time in far too long, all three marshal chairs are filled. Shivased sits in the center, in the position of First marshal, decked out in Eastmark blue, Taethowen as Second Marshal in Westmark Red and Gwai as Third Marshal in Meduseld Green sit in the chairs on either side of her.
A call has been put out for all Cavalry members to report to the Dragon Room. Now that the new marshals have been chosen it is time for Promotions, and the marshals are eager to begin.

Trainees
Hadassa (Pele)
Corlisswyn

Welcome to the Cavalry HQ. This is a place for all Cavalry related questions, which will be fielded by the Marshals of the Mark. It is also a place to come if you wish to join the Cavalry.
Those wishing to join the Cavalry, please approach the Marshals IC (In-character) and request permission.
For former Cavalry members wishing to re-join, please approach the Marshals and request permission, including your former position/rank and Éored in your post.

Some basic Cavalry Guidelines:
~Each Cavalry Member is allowed a Main Character and a Secondary Character. No more than 2 characters are allowed.
~Members of other kingdoms are welcome to join the Cavalry but it is preferred their Cavalry character is Rohirric (or at least Human)
~Characters must be 16 or older IC in order to join the Cavalry.
~Ranking officers in the Cavalry (Aethelwigend and above) are expected to reply to Cavalry posts within 7 days, unless arranged otherwise with the Marshal team.

a
a

Helpful Links:
Oath of the Cavalry
Command Tent (Cavalry OOC)
Cavalry Courtyard
Lost and Found

a
a

Thread Rules:
~Please keep your posts IC, and at least 200 characters long.
~Any OOC comments/questions please blank out at the bottom of your post Like this: OOC (change the text colour to white so you can’t see it)
~For those already in the Cavalry, please post in your Éored colours. BLUE (#000080)for Eastmark, GREEN (#008000) for Meduseld, RED (#BF0000) for Westmark.
~No Godmoding.
~Cavalry business only please.
Last edited by Shivased on Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 11 times in total.
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Knight of The Mark
Shivased stood on the dais with a grin on her face. This time there was no waiting for people to come in, drinking tea and getting increasingly bored. This time, there was actually something to do, and it was something she really liked doing. She briefly adjusted her blue sash and looked down at the insignias in her hand, then at her ceorl who stood next to her, while waiting for the Cavalry to finish assembling. She didn't want to do this before everyone was there, because it was important, and everyone should witness it.

Finally, when she couldn't wait anymore, she looked out at the assembled Cavalry. The Cavalry has seen a lot of change recently. Our numbers have grown and we find ourselves blessed by the return of experienced riders. I can't say how happy that makes me. We have also had some changes in leadership. Changes that I am happy to announce today with two promotions. She motioned with her hand and two people - Gwai and Taethowen came to stand in front of her.

Taethowen, it is my pleasure to promote you to the position of Second Marshal and give you charge of the Westmark Eored. She took the bright red sash that her ceorl handed to her and carefully placed it over Taeth's shoulder, then pinned the Westmark marshal insignia on her uniform.
a
Gwai, I'm pleased to promote you to the position of Third Marshal and give you command of Meduseld Eored. She took the green sash that the ceorl held and, in a repeat of a minute ago, draped it over Gwai's shoulder, and pinned the green Meduseld marshal insignia onto her uniform.
a
The task done she stepped back and thumped her fisted hand to her chest in a salute and called out in a ringing voice,

West Marshal Taethowen of the Westmark hal! Westu Marshal Gwai of Meduseld hal!

The Cavalry took up the welcome with her, the sound a deafening echo in the cavernous Dragon Room. She waited for it to die down and for her fellow marshals to take their places beside her, before holding up the last insignia in her hand.

There is one more promotion for me to do, then I will hand over the floor to my new fellow marshals. I would like to call @Eldrith forward. When the woman had presented herself she grinned again. It is with great pleasure and some pride in being partially responsible for finally getting you into the cavalry, that I promote you to the position of Quartermaster of the Cavalry. She pinned an Aethelwigend badge on Eldrith's uniform. This is an Aethelwigend of the Eastmark badge for now, until I have a Quartermaster insignia for you to wear.

a
Similar to before she stood back and saluted. Westu Quartermaster Eldrith hal!

Then, stepping back, she waited for Taethowen and Gwai to take the floor for the recognitions and promotions she knew they were planning to do.
Last edited by Shivased on Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Thain of The Mark
Even though Taeth knew to expect it, she found a nervous energy coursing through her as Shivased called her and Gwai forward. When they both stood before the First Marshal, Taeth glanced over at her former fellow pæthfindian, and shared a small smile.

"Taethowen, it is my pleasure to promote you to the position of Second Marshal and give you charge of the Westmark Eored," Shivased spoke, and Taethowen ducked her head slightly to allow Shivased to place the red sash over her shoulder.

Gwai was similarly promoted to Third Marshal of Meduseld, then returned the First Marshal's salute. Turning to face the crowded hall, Taeth reached over and squeeze Gwai's hand. As the deafening cries of Westu Marshal Taethowen of the Westmark hal! and Westu Marshal Gwai of Meduseld hal! echoed through the Dragon Hall, she couldn't help the grin that spread across her face.

I'm back where I belong, she thought. I'm finally home.

She waited patiently a few moments more as Eldrith was promoted to Quartermaster.

Taethowen's gaze wandered over the gathered troops as she stepped forward to address them briefly. "I have stood here before," she spoke. "Many years ago, I served as Third Marshal of the Mark. Having to resign my post so soon after I took it up was something I have always regretted.

"While the Eastmark will always have my heart, I look forward to serving with the well-renowned Westmark. While the care of Helm's Deep is what you may be most known for, I hope to get to know who you are currently, rather than solely by the reputation of our forefathers. And now, I just have a couple more things to do before Gwai has her moment.

"As my first act as the Second Marshal of the Westmark, I would please ask @Rowena Ellenweorc to come forward." As she waited, Taethowen retrieved two insignia Shivased's ceorl held, then turned back to face the room. ((This section edited to account for Rowena's IC absence as referenced in this post. The original portion of the post is still available at the bottom of this one.))

Silence fell over the crowd as Taethowen waited for Rowena's to come forward, but it quickly became evident that the Bealdorhælend was absent, and Taethowen hoped that everything was all right.

"Well, I'd hoped to formally greet the famed Bealdorhælend with a true heart for healing as my first act in this position, but it seems that will have to wait."

Taeth stepped back and handed the Bealdorhælend's insignia back to the ceorl, and then returned to the front of the dais. "Now, may I please have @Elarith come forward?"

When Elarith stood before her, Taethowen smiled again. "Your past service to the Cavalry has been noted, and the Westmark is in need of an Æthelwigend. Will you accept the post?" When Elarith affirmed she would, Taethowen pinned the Æthelwigend badge to her shoulder.

Then she stepped back, and saluted the woman as the First Marshal had done for her. "Westu Æthelwigend Elarith hal!"

Portion removed is whited out below for reference:

When Rowena stood before her, Taeth smiled. "Thank you for what you've done for Rohan and the Cavalry in your time as the Second Marshal," Taeth spoke. "You have served well. I have heard, though, that healing is where your true passion lies, and I would be honored for you to remain in the Westmark and continue serving as Bealdorhæland." Taeth stepped forward and pinned the Bealdorhæland's badge to Rowena's shoulder.
Last edited by Taethowen on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

New Soul
It was difficult to hold back the various emotions as Shivased called Gwai forward to receive her insignia of the rank of Third Marshal. This was an honor Gwai had dreamed of since she was child, looking on at the marshals as her heroes. Since the first day she had joined the cavalry as a brand new sperewigend, it had been her goal to one day join the ranks of these famed warriors.

Standing at attention in front of the First Marshal, Gwai kept her face stoic, while inwardly feeling a combination of excitement and a healthy portion of the size of the responsibility this new undertaking represented. As Shivased slipped the sash of the Third Marshal over her head and pinned the badge, Gwai couldn’t help but smile as she returned the salute.

Taethowen congratulated her, and Gwai smiled as she returned the sentiment. "I am so happy for you!" she said softly. "You have proven your skill as a marshal in the past, and I am so glad to be able to work beside you now!" She took a step back as Eldrith was announced as the new Quartermaster and Taethowen announced the promotions for the Westmark. Gwai clapped enthusiastically as Elarith was promoted to Æthelwigend, and Rowena was congratulated on her time as Marshal, and would continue as the Bealdorhælend.

Gwai then turned to face the assembled cavalry. “I cannot begin to express the honor I feel when I think of the confidence you are placing in me by making me your choice for a Marshal of Rohan!” Gwai began. “I will endeavor every day to be worthy of this confidence, as I fight along with you to protect and serve the Mark!”

“Although our numbers are not great, I believe the Meduseld Éored remains a force to be reckoned with! I am happy to accept the transfer from the Westmark of Æthelwigend Grimthain, previously of the Westmark. Grimthain,” she addressed the man directly, “On behalf of the Meduseld Éored, we welcome you to our ranks, and are pleased to have such an experienced officer join us!”

“I would also like give notice to Dicun, our new dryhtguma, who only recently received his insignia! Congratulations on passing your training, Dicun! You had a wonderful trainer, and we are happy to welcome you to Meduseld!”

Audley, it is a pleasure to have an experienced dryhtguma here in the Meduseld Éored, and I look forward to your continued service in the Mark! And Amadhrill, I am so pleased to have not only an accomplished hӕlend and a fellow Meduseld officer here, but an old friend as well! I look forward to all of us working together as a team as we serve King and Country!” Gwai stood at attention and saluted the members of her éored. “Westu Meduseld Éored hal!”
Third Marshal of the Mark
Meduseld Éored

Esquire of The Mark
*One could not call it a set up, really. She'd volunteered at the inn, to help out, and gladly so. She'd admired the Cavalry, even though at the time of her first arrival stern Ele Isenfolme had scared her. Then again.. Ele had known her when. And it had never become a problem. She'd served the cavalry in her pub. They'd always been willing to help if a drunkard got out of hand when Amadhrill had not been around. She was glad to do her bit. So when the letter had come, it had seemed perfect.

She had come to the throne room and been more than enthusiast with the assignment. True, it might sound.. somewhat strange for people to look forward to putting a badger ravaged.. or otherwise ravaged storage room to rights, but it was something she liked. It was.. tending to people. Putting things right. Putting food in their bellies. It was when first she had felt at home somewhere, without the sickening feeling of dread. Helping soldiers. She wasn't a haeland, though she knew her way around some herbs, a bit more than most kitchen gardens, definitely not enough to consider herself a healer. On the contrary. But she knew how to set up a kitchen with nearly nothing, how to build a shelter with not much more than two feet of rope and a piece of tightwoven cloth or leather. By the time she was done it would...

Her musings had fallen silent when people were called to assemble. And well.. she'd assembled along. Not really certain what to do and whether to head straight to the storage but without the pub, she rather missed knowing everything what's happened.

It was easy to smile. Easy to feel more at ease at new beginnings. Whatever had brought old friends and legends back to Edoras at this time, seeing the cavalry rebuild and strengthened again was a good thing. She clapped brightly at the announcement of new Marshall's for the westmark Eored and the Meduseld Eored, Taethowen and Gwai. She was ready to clap again when First Marshall Shivased announced a new promotion and almost.. did she step back instead of forward when her own name was called. But she DID step forward and let out a breath that seemed a mixture of relief.. and unexpected joy. Quarter master. It had been near a decade and a half when she'd worn a similar title.. oh and she had done well by it. She would do well by this one too, a silent vow made right then and there as she looked up at Shivased with shining eyes.

I... thank you. It is an honor. I will NOT.. let you down.

*And with those words she stepped back into the ranks. Glad to see Rowenna take up the position of Bealdorhæland and Elarith's promotion to Æthelwigend... she clapped and cheered along, glad not have to find more coherent words. She clapped more when Grimthain was made a Æthelwigend for the Westmark and Dicun became the newest dryhtguma. She clapped for Audley but it was only when Amadhrill's name was mentioned.. when her friend was called forward to take up a position of her own..that words made their way to her brain again.*

Westu Amadhrill HALL!!!
Kill-Stealing Skirt Wench
When others ride out to win renown, let me chosen to tend the house.

Doorwarden of The Mark
Dicun had arrived at the Dragon Room as ordered, but he wasn't sure what to expect. Something about the Marshals was all he had heard, with very little idea what that meant. He was still so new to it all, so much to learn and understand. The room was full of people, some he had seen before and some new faces as well. He was going to have to learn a lot of names and faces it seemed. And quickly.

At last, they began to make their announcements. The new Marshals were announced first, he cheered with them all as Taethowen and Gwai stood proudly bearing their new insignias. He tried to fix Gwai's face in his mind now that she was Marshal of Meduseld, he couldn't recall if he had met her before. It wouldn't look very good if his first act in his new role was to forget his own Marshal.

More promotions were set out, he cheered each one. Eldrith of the Eastmark, Rowena and Elarith of the Westmark. All three took up their new insignias and Dicun pressed their names, faces, and titles into his mind. As Marshal Gwai stepped forward to speak, he found himself concentrating hard. This was his éored, these were his comrades, he needed to know them well.

Grimthain was the first mentioned, he looked towards the man Gwai addressed and smiled at him. When Gwai mentioned his own name, he was so focused on the other faces he didn't notice for a moment. He suddenly snapped back to attention, smiling at her and bowing his head. It was an honour to be welcomed. "Thank you Marshal," he said with a grin, "I am pleased to join you!"

The last two of the Meduseld were Audley and Amadrhill, he looked to each with a smile and a nod. As Gwai stood to attention and saluted, Dicun copied the motion. "Westu Meduseld Éored hal!" he called out in reply.
Dryhtguma of Meduseld ~ Dicun

Horse Trainer of The Mark
He’d ridden hard to make it from training in Aldburg to Edoras, hoping to make it in time to see what the cavalry wide summons had been. He had his own task as well, orders to report to the Dragon Room to join an eored. He had no hope of arriving before the marshal, he didn’t even expect to. But if she could make it, so could he.

And he did, with just enough time to unsaddle and wipe down his horse and boots, and change into a clean shirt. Éolath stayed towards the back of the gathered riders, maneuvering so he could see and hear. New marshals? He cheered with the rest of the group as Taethowen and Gwai were announced as marshals of the Westmark and Meduseld eoreds. He didn’t know either of them well, didn’t know many well but that would soon change.

More names were announced, new positions. He cheered again and again. Eldrith, Rowena, Elarith…he tried to follow all the names. Grimthain, Dicun, Audley, Amadhrill…he wasn’t quick enough to catch all the faces, but he grinned cheerfully and clapped his hands against his thighs.
Once a Rider, always a Rider

Knight of The Mark
Shivased watched as Taeth and Gwai took their new ranks and handed out recognitions and promotions for those in their eoreds. She was happy to see Rowena was keeping the bealdorhælend position, and that Elarith was being promoted to Aethelwigend of the Westmark. She joined in the clapping and cheering for each person as they were hailed in their new rank and enjoyed the sight and sounds of the ranks of the Cavalry finally being filled again. It had been too long since they had found themselves with three marshals who all had promotions to do, and a few trainees as well.

When the promotions and recognitions of deserving riders were done and the cheering had died down, she moved forward again. She had noted Éolath in the crowd and, knowing he had recently passed his training, needed to be assigned an eored. Éolath, come forward she called loud enough for him to hear.

When he came to stand in front of her she picked another badge out of the ever-present bowl of insignias. Having completed training, it is time you were assigned an eored. I'm happy to assign you the rank of Dryhtguma in the Westmark Eored. Congratulations. She pinned the insignia on his tunic and then, stepping back she gave him a salute. Westu Éolath, dryhtguma of the Westmark, hal!

Signature Link: https://i.imgur.com/4bhFVb1.jpg

Edit: (OOC: @Éolath Sorry, I forgot the insignia! It has been edited in)
Last edited by Shivased on Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Éolath had been quite happy standing near the back of the room, putting names to faces and to the new ranks. The last thing he expected was for Marshal Shivased to call his name. Startled, he hesitated, glanced around. No one else moved. He shifted forward, then brushed ineffectively at his tousled golden curls, straightened his shoulders and walked to her.

His mind drew a blank as she spoke. Dryhtguma of the Westmark Eored. She leaned forward to pin something on his shirt, and he stared down at the badge in shock. She’d said he’d passed his training, but seeing it was something else entirely. And to the Westmark. Well, his cousin would be pleased, he thought. He’d never been to the Deep, but it was time for an adventure.

“I, uhm, thank you, sir.” He could feel his cheeks flushing. He managed to return the salute, then felt the grin break over his face. “I really mean it.” Growing redder, he backed away. Turned towards the side of the crowd that held more of the red badges.

NPC Audley (Also on behalf of Rowena)
Audley entered the Dragon Room, a letter having been sent out to him, which of course had to be read to him. What was this about Eored transfer? He grumbled and shook his head. He only hoped Rowena wouldn't flip a lid when she found out. He ran his hands through his honey blonde hair, then nodded at Gwai switching out the Westmark badge for the Meduseld badge. He was not one to argue with the switch. 'Experienced Dryhtguma? Not so sure about that. Used to being knocked around by a Marshal -- true. Perhaps that's what you mean.' He laughed drily and then approached Taethowen.
'Forgive me, my wife is currently on a mission in Gondor, tying up loose ends with an old case that's been haunting our lives for too long. If it is all right with you, I'd like to accept the badge on her behalf.' He then nodded. 'It is true she has the heart of a healer though, and I am sure if she were here, she'd be honored by your thoughtfulness.'
Again he ran his fingers through his hair, contemplating his new room at the Meduseld barracks. Ugh, he'd have to bring more stuff to Meduseld now, since it was much farther from the farm than Helm's Deep was. Not to mention, how would his new comrades accept Leylann. Would they be as receptive as the Westmarkers? Sure the idiots were gossipers, but they had still maintained a level of respect for him. And who the hell would read and write things for him now? He sighed and shook his head.
'Accept it. Consider it a clean slate.' That's what his mother would tell him. He sighed and looked up at the ceiling. 'Ugh, Annie, I wish you were here to tell me everything would be all right.' He then snorted. Right. Like she'd say that. She'd probably just smack him senseless until he caved and accepted his duties as a Meduseld-er. Or was it Meduseldian? What the hell were people from Meduseld called?

In War We Know Willpower, In Peace We Know Love~

New Soul
Promotions were an exciting time, and Gwai was beyond thrilled that Eldrith accepted the position of Quartermaster, after the debacle of the recent cavalry exercise. Gwai was extremely pleased Dicun enthusiastically joined in with saluting the éored, and she clapped as Éolath was inducted into the Westmark.

She was concerned, however, when Audley mentioned “being knocked around by a Marshal”. Perhaps he was saying it in jest. However, if a jest, it was in poor taste.

Gwai leaned forward. “Audley,” she began, looking him in the eyes, “If you were mistreated in your previous assignment, that is a significant issue, and one that I take extremely seriously.” She paused, wondering how to phrase what she was thinking, and deciding a soldier would appreciate blunt honesty. “I know your wife was your superior officer in your prior assignment, and if she was ‘knocking you around’ while you were on duty, this is a serious offense. Your activities in private are your own, but I want it to be clear that the cavalry does not allow anyone to physically intimidate or assault another comrade.”

She continued earnestly, “I hope your comments do refer to private interactions, because if this sort of bullying was coming from someone in a position of leadership, it would be a serious offense, and one that I promise you, I would address immediately. Speaking for the Meduseld Éored, and I can say with confidence speaking for my fellow marshals as well, we will not tolerate physical violence or bullying.”
Meduseld Éored

Thain of The Mark
As the promotions wrapped up, Second Marshal Taethowen observed the activity in the Dragon Room. As she stepped down from the dais to greet those in the Westmark Éored, she noticed First Marshal Shivased pinning a Westmark dryhtguma badge onto a new Cavalry recruit. She paused for just a moment as he (Éolath) walked over to the side of the hall where the Westmarkers were beginning to congregate.

"Westu hal!" she smiled as their paths intersected. "Congratulations on completing your training. I look forward to working with you!"

Before Éolath could return Taethowen's greeting, though, another man (Audley) approached her, this one wearing a Meduseld insignia. When he began to talk, saying something about his wife being in Gondor, and something about an old case, Taeth wondered if he'd confused her for Third Marshal Gwai. But when he continued speaking, he mentioned accepting the badge on her behalf, and Taeth realized this must be Rowena's husband. Briefly, she recalled that he'd participated in the M. Meduseld contest as Leylann, but didn't want to bring it up in this setting if it might make him uncomfortable. But otherwise... she'd never met the man. And handing over something as important as a rank insignia to someone she did not know made her uncomfortable.

As Audley finished speaking, Taeth gathered her thoughts. She smiled. "I'm sorry, I don't believe we've been formally introduced," Taeth spoke. "I... think I saw you at the M. Meduseld competition though, if I'm recalling correctly? But we never really had a chance to speak. You're Rowena Ellenweorc's husband, correct?

"I mean no offense, but a rank insignia is a very important thing, and I'd be uncomfortable giving it to anyone except the person it's meant for. I'd also prefer to greet my bealdorhaelend in person and get to know her a little better."

Taeth smiled, with a bit of fondness, as she recalled an interaction from not terribly long before. "Your wife should more than understand my hesitancy to hand it over in a situation like this. She actually entrusted me with her family sword as a part of my reassignment task, and I treated that sword like a priceless treasure which had been entrusted to me. I would never have dreamed of letting it leave my hands until I returned it to hers. A rank insignia holds no less significance for a member of the Cavalry."

She paused there, wanting to end the conversation on a friendly note. "I'm sorry to hear that there's been some troubling issues for your family for quite some time. I spent a considerable amount of time in Gondor several years back, and have made connections in some of the lesser noble houses there. If there's anyway I can be of help, please let me know. And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to greet my new Éored."

At that, Taeth gave an amiable nod, and then walked over to where the Westmark Éored had congregated, including the new recruit from earlier, and Elarith.

"Congratulations, Æthelwigend Elarith," Taeth smiled, and recalled a conversation they'd shared in her shop from what seemed almost like a lifetime ago now. "It seems we will get to serve as comrades in arms after all."
Westmark Éored

Elven Enchanter
Éomund slowly entered the Dragon Room for the second time in as many days. He had been told that as a new recruit his presence was required for some official Calvary business. Still nursing a bit of a hangover from the previous night's adventures in the party tent (and inwardly wondering why he and Walpurga had been roped into participating in that chaos. Were all new recruit subjected to such torture?) There was a bit of a scorched smell hanging in the air, likely the aftermath of the insane tent burning the other night. "Had the culprits been caught yet?" he wondered.

Standing near the wall, he watched the proceedings. Apparently there had recently been a Marshal election and he watched one woman he recognized from the party (Taethowen) receive the Second Marshal position and then much to his horror, another familiar face (Gwai) received the honour of Third Marshal. Here he stood, one of the latest recruits to the grand Cavalry, and practically the first thing he had done was kick the soon-to-be Third Marshal in the head! Why couldn't he just disappear into the ground? Thank Bema she appeared to be alright! By this point, Éomund wasn't even paying attention to the other promotions, but was trying to calculate how hard it would be to sneak away and perhaps drastically change his appearance to avoid ever being connected with the display from the previous night.

OOC @Gwai: (Feel free to call out Éomund and "lecture" him).
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

Doorwarden of The Mark
Elarith had gathered in the Dragon Room with the other Cavalry members to welcome in the new Marshals and see what other business would fall out from it. She smiled and clapped as Eldrith was made Quartermaster. The innkeeper would do a great job in that role, although she had always struck Elarith as someone who avoided violence, so it was interesting that she was now taking up a post in the military.

Jolted from her thoughts by Taethowen calling her name, she slipped forwards to stand before the new Marshal of the Westmark. Elarith was pleased she had taken the time to polish up her worn boots and given her patched uniform a good brush down before attending, but still reddened slightly knowing that the eyes of the Dragon Room were upon her. She dipped her head. "Yes, I accept this post, with thanks," she replied, and had the insignia pinned on her shoulder. It had been many years since she had been an Æthelwigend, but the weight and style of the badge had a comforting familiarity. She stepped back to where the Westmark members had lined up, closely followed by a new dryhtguma, Éolath.

The promotions seemed to have come to an end, and their new Marshal Taeth came over to where they were standing. Elarith bowed. "And congratulations to you, too, Marshal. The Eastmark's loss is the Westmark's gain," she said, this last remark deliberately loudly enough so as to be heard by any nearby Eastmarkers. "Yes, when I mentioned serving together back at your shop I hadn't anticipated it being as soon as this. You work quickly!"

Æthelwigend of the Westmark

Thain of The Mark
Æthelwigend Grimthain of the Meduseld Eored, human, he/him

“Hail Marshal Taethowen of the Westmark! Hail Marshal Gwai of Meduseld!” the veteran echoed the cheer for the new Marshals enthusiastically, and tried not to think how many Marshal teams that meant he had now served under. He didn’t like to think of himself as old, but time was hardly going to pander to his personal wishes, and his muscles ached and pained him far too often these days for him to deny he was long past his days of youth. He eyed the newest recruits, they seemed so *young*! He was certain he hadn’t been that baby-faced when he first began his cavalry career, and yet they were aged the same as he had been back then. Some of them a couple of years older, he thought as his eyes fell on the face of the one he felt personally beholden to. He looked away quickly; he did not want the boy... young man, he corrected himself... to think that Grimthain was here to observe his every action; the new recruit was likely nervous enough already. He had tried to keep himself a respectful distance from the lad, but then the summons had come in for all cavalry warriors to attend and Grimthain was always loyally obedient in performing his cavalry duties, even those he didn’t agree with. It was not his place to question the command of his officers, it was his duty to follow them. As he listened to the noble and honourable words of Second Marshal Taethowen, he grew increasingly confident that future orders would be fair and just. He almost regretted for a moment his recent request for a transfer of Eored - he was sure he would have enjoyed serving beneath the new Second Marshal in his beloved Westmark - but all regrets faded away as the Third Marshal stepped forward to speak.

Gwai was sporting a black eye (curse be to the fool who had given such a noble warrior a black eye the day before their esteemed promotion!) and he reflected that she too appeared to be someone who spoke from the heart; her honesty and frank nature immediately warmed Grimthain towards her and he was grateful to find himself under the command of someone who seemed so approachable and confident. And hardy also, if the black eye was anything to go by!

He was pulled from his reverie as the new Third Marshal approached him, and confirmed both his rank as Æthelwigend and his transfer to Meduseld, an act that greatly put his mind at ease. He saluted crisply and responded
“It will be an honour to serve beneath you, Third Marshal Gwai; my sword is yours, and is my shoulder and ear should you ever have need of them also.” he added, with a sudden and unexpected wave of warmth that took even the veteran by surprise. “I’m not sure how well my experience will serve my Meduseld comrades, but what wisdom and knowledge I have I offer eagerly in service to my new Eored.”

He stepped away from the Third Marshal as she moved on to the next person and glanced around at the gathered faces, attempting to seek out the face of the one who had arranged his transfer to the Meduseld Eored so he could be closer to the lad he considered in some ways to be his ward. He was surprised to see that Allacan was absent; though he did not know the woman well she hadn’t struck him as someone who would be tardy in her attendance or ignore a direct command for a summons. At just that moment, a messenger came rushing in and dashed straight up to First Marshal Shivased to deliver a missive. His keen eyes caught a glimpse of the HCMA being handed over with the letter, and the frown on the First Marshal’s face. He hoped nothing ill had befallen the Eastmarker, but knew that it was not his place to ask questions; the Marshals would deal as was necessary.

He smiled welcomingly to the newest recruit to the Eored
Dicun, nodded respectfully to the Eored’s HælandAmadhrill, nodding his head towards the Third Marshal’s black eye and rolling his eyes companionably as though lamenting their mutual comrade’s inability to stay out of trouble.

There seemed to be some concern regarding the missing Bealdorhæland
Rowena (apparently Allacan was not the only absent soldier today) and the transfer of Dryhtguma Audley to Meduseld Eored. He diplomatically moved away from the discussion so those involved could have a little more privacy, but not before overhearing the Third Marshal’s concern regarding potential allegations of harrassment in the ranks, and he found his heart soared with pride at how diplomatically and empathetically Gwai approached the situation. Yes, this was definitely a commander he would be honoured to serve beneath!

Then his eyes fell on
Eomund and recognised instantly the discomfort and embarrassment written across the young man’s face.
“Oh Bema, what have you done this time?” he muttered to himself under his breath.
Pæthfindian of the Eastmark
Forged in fire, shaped by shadow
She/her.

Audley raised his brow at Gwai's words, and shook his head. 'Marshal ma'am... I believe you have taken my words too literally. I come from the Westmark, which has long required a firm hand in management. Furthermore, my wife is the LAST person on the list of people I know who would intentionally lay harm to anyone. She is stern ma'am, but no bully.' He couldn't believe that was the first place the Marshal's mind went. Was this really how people saw Rowena?
To Taethowen, he nodded. 'Yes. I did participate in the pageant, and was eliminated first round. And yes, I am Rowena's husband, Dryhtguma Audley.' He listened to Taethowen explain why she would not give him his wife's badge, but finally when she stopped speaking, he said, 'Marshal ma'am. I understand the hesitancy. I will heed your wishes.' He was tempted to comment that the long explanations were really not necessary, but he thought better of it. 'I am not sure when it is she will return, but when she does, I will make sure to inform her to make sure her first stop is here. And thank you for the offer of help. I will certainly let her know of your offer.'
With Taeth's departure, Audley turned to make his own departure from the Dragon Room. Time to set up his room in the barracks now.

In War We Know Willpower, In Peace We Know Love~

Balrog
Walpurga, Human (she/her)

The last time she had been in this room, the air felt like it was about to explode. She had been terrified of setting something off by her mere presence, such a feeling of dread had only increased her apprehension and nervousness then. There had been a pall cast over the Dragon Room that day, a shadow. She had been alone that day, a stranger in a strange new land. But today was different. The sun was shining bright in the sky, the wind was crisp and cool and the Dragon Room hummed with activity, the mood was kinetic and joyful, Walpurga beamed with the change in atmospheres. There had been an election and the new Marshals were holding court today. She was still just a recruit and it was not required that she be there, but she had to go to support her newest friend, Eómund, who was all out of sorts after accidently kicking someone in their chorus line that turned out to be one of the new Marshals! Walpurga had had a good laugh over the incident (poor Eómund likely had not found it quite so funny as she did) but once her mirth had run its course she promised him she’d be there, if only for moral support. Quietly, The black haired Rohir slipped in beside Eómund, spotting him in the midst a sea of golden blonde.

“Hey!” she whispered loudly. “Bet you didn’t think I’d show did you?”
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
It was going to be a true pleasure to start getting to know the éored, and Gwai stepped down off the raised dais to further speak with her officers. Grimthain gallantly offered Gwai his sword, a gesture she greatly appreciated, particularly as it came from such a noted warrior. “I am more than pleased to have you here in Meduseld,” she told him sincerely. “We need an experienced Æthel to further train our new members, and your reputation proceeds you. You are most welcome here,” she nodded, “And your offer of confident is welcome as well,” she smiled, before wincing a bit as the smile exacerbated the swelling surrounding her left eye.

Audley had looked a bit taken aback at Gwai’s words, assuring her there was no issue, and Gwai nodded in response. “I am glad that there is no problem. I understand styles of leadership differ, but I want to be clear there will be no physical harm, or threats of harm here in Meduseld.” She offered her hand to Audley. “I’m glad you’re here with us! Your experience is welcome!” she said simply, as he turned away to address Taeth.

Looking around the room, Gwai spotted someone she had been wanting to speak with since the after party. She walked toward the back of the room where she saw the young man standing, a dark-haired young woman next to him.

“You must be (Éomund), I believe,” Gwai said directly as she walked up to the new recruit. “I’ve been wanting to meet you,” she said with a slight smile, again wincing as she forgot how much her eye hurt when she tried to smile, “as I did not have much of a chance to speak with you the other night,” she said, trying to keep stern face. She was not angry with the young recruit—far from it, as she fully remembered being a nervous young wigend, and could only imagine his consternation—but she was still going to give him a bit of a good-natured hard time about his misplaced kick.

“However,” she continued, “You did have the misfortune to give the Third Marshal a black eye. Clearly, a task in recompense is required. Éomund, you will proceed on an Ent-wife hunt,” she said seriously, looking at the young man. “You will find said Ent-wife, and report back to me for review. You will perform this task when it will not interfere with your other training or duties, and it will take you no more than a week, at which point I expect a full report of your activities,” she said with a stern voice, keeping a straight face. She paused, before adding, “While your friend knows of your task,” she gestured to Walpurga next to him, “You will maintain discretion regarding this assignment.” She looked him over for a moment, in case he had a question, before turning to walk away, as her lips were twitching and she was afraid she would start laughing any minute.

OOC @Dimcairien Luiniel: (This is purely fun, play with it as much or as little as you want! Feel free to drag Walpurga down with you too if you want! The week is IC time, not RL time, I didn’t want poor Éomund to be gone for a year looking for Entwives!)
Meduseld Éored

Elven Enchanter
As Éomund stood in the corner, he noticed a familiar figure enter the Dragon Room. What was Grimthain doing in Edoras? Surely he would be back in Helms Deep by now, having taken the time off from his very important duties as Watchmaster to ensure that he arrived in Edoras in one piece. Then much to his amazement, he saw Grimthian approach the Third Marshal and offer his sword. "Was Fædera in the Meduseld Éored now?" Éomund murmured to himself. While he wasn't certain why the man would be in Meduseld, he was at least confident that it was under Grimthain's own power and had nothing to do with his mother, which brought some relief. At any rate, it was curious to watch all the promotions and fealty oaths. As Girimthian moved back from the Third Marshal, Éomund felt that the man was looking at him and could possibly sense his growing discomfort.Bema, why couldn't he just run from the room?

That feeling only grew as the Third Marshal approached where he was standing by the wall and a great feeling of dread overcame him. He was going to get kicked out of the Cavalry even before he began his training. Well, it had been a pleasant enough few days away from his mother's constant mollycoddling. But whatever would his fædera think of him? It was partly due to his constant, subtle support throughout his life that Éomund had finally worked up the courage to stand up to his mother and insist on trying to join the Cavalry "to make his father proud." And here he was, about to be dismissed in a most dishonorable fashion. Why had he agreed to that routine the other night?

The Third Marshal's words broke through his thoughts. She knew his name, well, that was to be expected. He was a new recruit after all, but she wanted to meet him. A high ranking officer wanting to meet a lowly trainee only spelled trouble. She spoke sternly as she said, "You did have the misfortune to give the Third Marshal a black eye. Clearly, a task in recompense is required. Éomund, you will proceed on an Ent-wife hunt." Éomond furrowed his brow in confusion as the Third Marshal continued to explain his task. What did Ent-wives have to do with his insubordination? Apparently he had a week to go and find them, how or where in Middle Earth he had absolutely no idea. At least Walpurga was standing there with him and knew about his dishonour. Why did it have to be him who had injured someone, and the Third Marshal no less! As the Third Marshal turned, Éomund managed to stutter, "Yes, ma'am … sir … M-Marshal." How in Bema's name did you address a Marshal?

Thain of The Mark
Aethelwigend Grimthain, Meduseld Eored, human, he/him

He was still eying his ward across the Dragon Room when suddenly Gwai marching across the hall caught his attention. She approached Eomund and listened in carefully to her next words.

It took a great strength of will - one of the greatest unappreciated feats of his lifetime - to resist face-palming. He compromised instead for closing his eyes tightly so no-one would see his eye rolling. After a calm breath, he opened his eyes and put a companionable, friendly look on his face. He approached the Third Marshal and placed a hand on her shoulder so as to momentarily distract her from the anticipated look of surprise that was sure to play across
Eomund’s face at the unexpected sight of his god-father gracing the hall and wearing an insignia of the Meduseld in place of his usual Westmark. Thankfully the young recruit’s expression was embarrassed and fearful enough, and couldn’t exactly contort itself into any more uncomfortable a look than had already settled onto his face at the Marshal’s words. It was the look that had caught at Grimthain’s heart and had summoned him as though through magic to the defence of the young recruit.

“Marshal Gwai, may I join you? Thank-you. This must be one of the cavalry’s newest recruits, eh? Hail! I am Grimthain he said, offering a hand in greeting to first Walpurga and then Eomund. He winked conspiratorially at the latter when he was certain that the Third Marshal wasn’t looking. “I overheard your words regarding the Ent-wife Hunt. It seems a perfectly fair trade for a black eye, in my opinion, and I trust this eager young man can be certain of a fresh start on completing the task.” he said pointedly to both the recruit and the Marshal; he clearly approved of the proposition and wished to show support for both his commander, and the youngster.

“I’m sure someone as capable and cunning as this young chap appears to be will likely have the task done in a day or so. After all, it’s an easy enough hunt. It’s not like you asked for him to hunt down the dreaded wildcat of Wilderwood.” He said, with a half-smile at Gwai.

It was a reference only the young man would understand. The feline title would recall him to one particular Mettare, when a fatherly figure had regaled a young boy and his disapproving mother with tales of the terrible beast that prowled the wild woods of the Westmark, the night’s echoing with its tormenting cries, all those who saw it falling under the spell of its enchanting gaze. The old soldier had persisted in the tale until at last the woman had grown angry at his increasingly dramatic telling and demanded he get to the point of the story. The old soldier had immediately acquiesced, by revealing the very gift that had in fact been the focal point of the tale; a young kitten, whose mews were so pitiful as to soften any heart, and whose adorable face was so sweet as to immediately detract attention from any other task.

The whole thing had been a joke. The beast was no more than the tiny kitten, and the story itself a practical joke to wind up the over-anxious mother so cleverly that even she had broken into laughter at its unexpected conclusion, perhaps fuelled a little by her relief.
‘Not everything is always how it appears to be, nefa. And sometimes something that appears sinister and cruel is actually warm and friendly’ the older man had counselled the young boy even while the woman had crooned and cooed over the tiny kitten.

Grimthain watched Eomund’s face out of the corner of his eye to see if the young man was catching on, before he added with the air of someone softening in pity. “Here lad, I’ll give you a head start on your quest. Take twenty feet of shoreline and a long stand with you when you go, and you’ll do fine.” he advised with a helpful air, before turning to his commander and changing the subject.

“My good Marshal, I don’t suppose you would be so kind enough as to introduce me to my fellow Meduseld warriors?” he asked politely, subtlety guiding her away from the two youngsters as he did so.

Any wisened cavalry soldier who listened in on
Grimthain’s comments would think that the Aethelwigend’s references to the shoreline and long stand were simply his attempts to weight in on the practical joke himself - nearly every experienced cavalry warrior knew these things were puns designed as practical jokes to send new recruits off on wild goose chases.

But little did the Marshal know that all
Grimthain had really done was equipped the lad with all the information he needed to piece together the conclusion that the Third Marshal was pulling a prank on him. The puns were down to a letter the exact tricks a father-figure had warned their young ward about on the road to Edoras; the jokes making them both laugh in a rare moment of companionship. Grimthain resisted the temptation to glance back at Eomund to check the penny had dropped. He had given all the clues that were needed for this lad - so often underestimated by his mother but whom others had seen such promise - needed to piece the puzzle together and figure out what was going on. And as soon as he did, well... the next move would be down to him. How exactly would he react? Grimthain didn’t honestly have any idea, but he hoped that the youngster would take this as an opportunity to impress the Marshal, or perhaps if he had a little courage and fire, turn the prank back on her.
She/her.

Knight of The Mark
Shivased watched the comings and goings around the Dragon Room, pleased to see so much activity. The Cavalry had gathered and were congratulating those who received promotions or recognition, catching up with old comrades and conducting business with the marshals. It felt good to see things so busy again.

She noted when Audley arrived, frowning as she overheard what was going on. She did not approve of the bealdorhaelend not being here when everyone had been called to muster here, but she understood that things needed to be settled in Gondor and did not begrudge her being there. It was best. She was pleased with how Taeth handled the bealdorhaelend's absence, however, and was happy Audley seemed content with transferring eoreds. It would do him good and he could be a help in Meduseld, she was sure of that.

She was just beginning to look around the room to see where her ceorl Haru had gotten off to and see if he could bring her a mug of tea without drawing too much attention when an older man wearing the insignia of Meduseld caught her eye. He was speaking to Gwai and she realized this was Grimthain, the former watchmaster of the Westmark. She was pleased to see him and was about to call out to congratulate him on his transfer and promotion when a messenger rushed up to her to deliver a letter.

Unrolling it a small grey and blue disk fell out into her hand. She stared at it, frowning in confusion when she recognized the HCMA insignia. She looked up and searched the room, realizing for the first time that she didn't see Allacan in the crowd. Her frown deepened; Alla took her Cavalry service and role as HCMA seriously, she wouldn't normally miss something like this. Scratch that, she would NEVER miss something like this. Not without a good reason.

She lifted up the letter in her hand after double checking the room and started to read. Her brow creased and her frown deepened. It was not what she expected, though really she didn't know what she had expected. Just not this. She was pleased to hear Elvh was around and still a formidable warrior, and curious about the cryptic message regarding the new Quartermaster, but the rest were just....they said nothing but intimated a lot that she wasn't happy about.

She set the paper down and glanced around, making eye contact with Gwai and Taeth and surreptitiously holding up the parchment and HCMA badge in a way that hopefully few in the room would notice. That way they were aware something was wrong, and would come read the missive when they had time. It wasn't urgent - she didn't get that message from it - but they should be aware of it at least.

Reading the missive a third time as if to find something else, something clearer, written there she finally set it down and stared at the HCMA badge. Recent events? Returning the badge until she could present herself not wanting to presume they would reaffirm the rank? Why wouldn't they? HCMA was an honour that was hers by right, as it was for every former First Marshal. What was going on that the honour would be taken away? She thought back to the recent events she knew of - a fire in an abandoned building, and the unfortunate incident at the After Party were all she knew about.

She set the parchment aside and slid the HCMA badge in her pocket with a little more force than necessary. Well, whatever it was, she wasn't happy that the HCMA wasn't here. That she couldn't excuse. Perhaps normal promotions she could accept Alla had personal affairs to deal with. But this was the promotion of two new marshals, something far more important for the Cavalry, and it was Alla's duty as a Dryhtguma of the Eastmark and the HCMA to be here to support and welcome the new marshals to their positions. She knew that. It shouldn't have been hard to stop by as she left Edoras and explained herself in person. Present herself in front of them Alla would, and explain herself she would. That was for sure.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Thain of The Mark
Thalionwen entered the Dragon Room late, well after the new Marshals had received their promotions. It was a shame she'd missed seeing Taethowen take her new position--she'd always known her friend had the makings of a Marshal. But the Infirmary was so busy that Thali had been a bit run off her feet of late. Still, she'd left things in the capable hands of Alwin and Sigrid, changed into her uniform, and hurried up to report as Eastmark Haelend, as was required.

Catching Taethowen's eye, Thali gave her a proud smile and a tiny wave. She nodded to Gwai, but it was First Marshal Shivased she approached and saluted smartly, all traces of the bedraggled creature who'd recently wandered the plains of Rohan dressed only in her nightclothes scrubbed away.

"First Marshal," Thalionwen said warmly. "I couldn't be happier to have the opportunity to serve under you in my beloved Eastmark. As Haelend, I look forward to ensuring the wellbeing of all the members of our eored, and to being a support to you in whatever way I can. Hopefully this will make a start."

Taking a leather-wrapped flask from her pocket that radiated warmth, Thalionwen handed it to the First Marshal, along with a small cloth bag.

"It's lemon balm and chamomile tea, with a bit of Lail's honey," Thali explained. "The best thing I know for stress, which a First Marshal has more than her share of. I make the blend myself, down at the Infirmary. The bag contains more of it, for your ceorl to brew for you."
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Elven Enchanter
Éomund, trainee

The Third Marshal had barely turned her back on a very confused and nervous Éomund when who should appear next to him but Grimthain. "Fæ…" he began to say, but managed to stop himself. It wouldn't due to let the entirety of the Dragon Room know the relationship he held with the Watchmaster. Or, Éomund's eyes popped when he realised exactly why his godfather had been offering his sword to the Third Marshal, he was now wearing the Meduseld rank for Aethelwigend!

Grimthain stepped up and clapped a hand on the Marshal's shoulder as he addressed her. "Oh, so her name is Gwai," Éomund thought. Grimthain then proceeded to introduce himself to Walpurga and extended a hand towards Éomund as well. It was obvious that the gathering crowd in the Dragon Room didn't know the specifics of their relationship and at least for now, Éomund wanted to keep it that way. As much as he desired to pull the man in for a hug, this was military room and he was (hopefully) a soldier now. As Éomund gripped his godfather's hand (perhaps a bit tighter than was required, but absolutely necessary for his present state of mind), the older gentleman winked in understanding. Éomend silently let out a sigh of relief he hadn't been aware he was holding in. He was immensely grateful that the older man hadn't returned to Helms Deep, but was instead here in Edoras.

Grimthain began to say something about how he would be an excellent candidate for such a task and Éomund's eyes narrowed for a brief second, before Grimthain mentioned the dreaded wildcat of Wilderwood. It took everything in Éomund's power to not burst out in laughter. The legend behind the family cat was one of great amusement. On one of the few days of the year he got to spend with his godfather, a Mettare when he wasn't more than six, Grimthain had told that story that had greatly angered his mother and kept him on the edge of his seat, eager for more though the story itself had scared him at the start. And right at the climax, Grimthain had produced a kitten. That was one of the few times Éomund remembered seeing his mother laugh, and the only time she had laughed when Grimthain was involved. But she had let him keep the animal. It had been a wonderful companion during his childhood. He really didn't have many friends, none honestly aside from Caddrick. Oh how he had loved Darby. But why was his godfather bringing up the kitten story at a time like this? Unless there was another story going on?

Grimthain's face was filled with compassion as he said one more thing. "Take twenty feet of shoreline and a long stand with you when you go, and you’ll do fine." At that, Éomund felt his lips trying to curve up into a smirk. He had been told about this phrase only a few days before, while travelling towards Edoras.

And now he thought he knew what might be going on. The Third Marshal, Marshal Gwai, was not angry with him. He wasn't about to get kicked out of the Cavalry before his training started. She had only been teasing him. Of course, there were no such things as Ent-wives. He should've known better, remembered his history that Grimthain had told him and that little he had read, but when the Marshal had made a beeline for him, it had taken everything he could to not make a disaster of himself.

By this point, Grimthain and the Third Marshal had turned around and were headed to another part of the Dragon Room. Éomund felt his knees gave way and he sank against the wall. She was gone, the reprimand, as it were, was over. Perhaps everything could just be forgotten? That is what he would like to do … forget. This was one of those times Éomund wished he could ask his father what he would have done. Of course, he had heard stories about the escapades his father had gotten up to, but none of them had involved a Marshal! But perhaps he could play along with the story and find a tree that could be an Ent-wife?

Though, it might be time to tell his godfather exactly what had transpired that night in the tent. Éomund vowed never to drink that much alcohol again and if he never saw pink sequins either, he would be forever thankful. And perhaps Grimthain would have some advice for what he should do. Éomund wanted to do something witty, but feared real consequences if he did something deliberately towards the Third Marshal. He bit his lip, glanced towards Walpurga, and dashed out of the Dragon Room. He had a week to figure something out.

Thain of The Mark
Taeth's smile at Elarith's proclamation that the Eastmark's loss was the Westmark's gain was just a touch bittersweet, but then she laughed as Elarith complimented her on her quick work.

"It truly wasn't planned," Taeth confessed. "It just kind of all fell together. I'm sad to leave the Eastmark, though. It's where I served from the time I joined, but it seems the Westmark is where I'm needed now, and at the least I'll have you." She smiled at the new Æthelwigend, truly very glad to have Elarith to serve with her.

Just as Taeth was about to greet the rest of the Westmarkers gathered, she noticed a messenger leave something with the First Marshal. Satisfied, for the moment anyway, that it was not something that required the Second Marshal's attention as well, she turned her attention back to the task at hand.

Once more, she smiled in Éolath's direction. "I am Taethowen," she introduced herself. "Are you from the Westfold, or did you simply wish to serve at the Hornburg?"

As she waited for Éolath's response, Taeth spotted Thalionwen arriving just a bit late, which honestly did not surprise her in the slightest. She'd heard rumors, though, of a new infirmary, and Taeth would need to catch up with her friend in the near future, especially since it hadn't been that long ago since Thali had been intent on moving quite far away.

She returned Thali's wave with a small smile, and then returned her attention to Éolath.
Westmark Éored

Éolath smiled shyly as the officialness of the gathering seemed to break up and the Westmarkers around him started talking. He chewed his lip, then started when he heard his name mentioned. He turned to look at the speaker, then promptly forgot what had been said, gazed wide-eyed at the Marshal.

“Uhm…” his brows knit as he tried to replay the last few moments, shifted his feet until the question came back to him. “I, uhm, neither really. I mean, I don’t mind the Westmark, I’ve never been there. At least not to the Deep, just to the Westfold where my cousin lives. My parents had a farm just north of Edoras,” he continued, his voice a bit steadier, “but my sister tends it. I’ve been in Gondor for a while, so I didn’t really have a preference for Éored. My cousin will be happy though, since I’ll be closer and she’s very …I’m not sure if biased is a good word... but she’s very biased towards the Westmark. I’m excited to serve though, sir. I hope I'll do well.”

New Soul
Gwai was a bit surprised when she turned from Éomund and found Grimthain right behind her, commenting on the Ent-wife hunt assigned to Éomund. She assumed the Æethel had at one point early in his career been assigned something similar—she had, at any rate--although, despite not knowing him well yet, she was doubtful if he had ever assigned such a task.

Grimthain commented on the task, mentioning it was a quest appropriate for the young man, unlike the dreaded wildcat of Wilderwood. Gwai looked at him curiously, having never heard of it, but from the expression on Éomund’s face, he was familiar with the story. Grimthain soon threw out the standard “twenty feet of shoreline and a long stand,” and Gwai had a sneaking suspicion he was trying to clue the young recruit in. She didn’t think a wild Ent-wife hunt was a particularly harsh joke, but she also wasn’t going to ask Grimthain further as doubtless he had his own reasons, and likely was more familiar with dealing with young recruits than she, so she followed his lead as he made an excuse to leave Walpurga and Éomund.

As Grimthain led her away, Gwai caught Shivased’s eye, and the insignia she held in her hand. “I’d be happy to introduce you!” Gwai said with a smile, glad Grimthain was eager to meet the rest of the éored. “But perhaps later, if you would be so kind as to excuse me right now, I’m just going to speak with the First Marshal for a few minutes,” she told him with a smile as she excused herself and walked back toward the front of the room toward Shiva, wanting to find out further why she had been holding what looked like the insignia of the HCMA.

Shiva had shoved the insignia and the letter accompanying it into her pocket, while she chatted with Thalinowen. Gwai smiled at Thali as she walked up to the two. “No nightdress today, Thali?” Gwai asked with a laugh, glad she had been kidnapped while still wearing clothes and not in her nightgown like the hӕland had, a story which would most likely go down in cavalry lore.
Meduseld Éored

Balrog
Walpurga, trainee (Human, she/her)

Suddenly, Walpurga was very glad that while she could be uncoordinated and unbalanced, she had not been the night before. When Marshal Gwai pronounce Éomund's punishment, Walpurga blanched as much as her fellow recruit. Weren't they all gone, the Entwives? This was all very confusing. Walpurga thanked the galloping stars that she was not the center of attention, she would handle it with far less grace that Éomund was. He seemed, for the moment very stoic, but that could have been petrifying fear he was experiencing. Walpurga breathed a sigh of relief.

Éomund seemed very popular in that moment. As soon as the blonde Marshal moved passed, another person Walpurga had yet to meet greeted them both, Walpurga with the customary handshake and welcome, but Éomund seemed to get more. Was that a wink? How strange. His advice to her friend was equally strange and convoluted. Twenty feet of shoreline? A long stand? What was that supposed to mean?

“Hail and well met, Grimthain. My name is Walpurga. I'm newly arrived to Edoras.” Beyond those words, she wasn't sure what to say. She cursed her shyness, but smiled warmly nonetheless. She knew enough good manners for that. Her mother would son her alive if she forgot her manners in front of the Marshals!

Walpurga watched as a woman she was sure she recognized from a few days earlier (Thali) entered the room and made her way to one of the other Marshals. For a reason she could not explain, Walpurga watched their interaction closely. That they knew each other was apparent, even through all the formality and pomp. Walpurga longed to have friends and companions like that. She had not been cloistered at home, but there had been so few people that shared any of her interests in Benton that she had ended up doing most things by herself. “No more, “ she muttered longingly under her breath.

For starters she was going to try her best to befriend Éomund though he seemed quite popular already. Just as she was going to turn to him and comment on the strangeness of the task, he gave her a look that she had no hope of interpreting and dashed out of the Dragon Room. His departure made the room feel suddenly very big and herself vey small. She was alone in here, amidst a crowd of people who all seemed to know one another. She felt very cold. Again, she cursed her shyness. Should she stay in here, in this room full of strangers and stand awkwardly about while waiting on… something? Or should she follow Éomund even though he likely didn't need any of her help? The horns of a dilemma. She chewed het bottom lip pensively, a habit she read one of the old kings of Gondor had and decided she would do the same, and looked toward the door. At least if Éomund rejected her it would hurt less than if the Marshals did. She dashed out of the Dragon Room to follow her friend.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Thain of The Mark
"I was in Gondor for a time also," Taeth replied to Éolath. "Though it was after my first stint in Cavalry service, so the Eastmark will always be special to me. I'm glad being stationed with the Westmark may make it easier for you to see your cousin. Family is a precious thing."

Taeth turned back to Elarith then, hoping to draw her into the conversation as well, but then saw that Gwai was now at the First Marshal's side, and Shiva was pushing what looked like an insignia into into her pocket.

"Excuse me," Taeth said to the gathered Westmarkers. "I'll be back shortly."

When she climbed the dais steps, the Second Marshal noticed a new piece of parchment sitting on the nearby table, and caught a familiar name on the closing. Allacan.

As Gwai, Shivased, and Thalionwen conversed nearby, Taeth read over the letter, her brow wrinkling. She'd not yet been successful in figuring out what had happened to Fyrefl--Allacan, she reminded herself yet again.--and she'd meant to ask the woman this morning at her shop, but business needs had called her away before she could.

Somehow, soon, she needed to get some Bema-damned answers! What in Arda had happened to her old pæth after Taeth had retired as Third Marshal?
Westmark Éored

Knight of The Mark
Shivased was still lost a bit in thought about what to do regarding the situation with the HCMA when she realized someone was talking to her. She blinked and focused on the room and what was happening around her and saw it was Thali, who was telling her she was happy to be serving in the Eastmark. I am glad you are happy to be here, she said after her brain began working. She was handed a warm flask and a small package and took a sniff at what Thali told her was a tea blend she made herself. It smells wondeful, she commented.

Tipping the flask up she took a sip, pleased to find it was at the right temperature to drink. The soothing, light taste of chamomile with the tang of lemon and sweetness of honey danced across her tongue, making her sigh. This was exactly what she had been hoping for. A nice, hot, soothing drink. She would have to instruct Haru to keep it here in the Dragon Room. She anticipated needing it fairly often. Thank you, she said to Thali and cradled the flask in her hands, enjoying the warmth. This is exactly what I needed right now. Promotions and whatnot on days like this are always a bit stressful. I'll be glad to have a supply of it.

When Gwai came over she snorted at the mention of Thali's nightdress and quickly swallowed her sip of tea. She could think of plenty of reasons someone would be out wandering in a nightdress, most of them involving the haelend. Sometimes the Cavalry was...odd. She stifled a giggle at the thought of all the antics Cavalry members usually got up to and took another sip of tea. Best not think about that right now or they'd all think she was losing her mind.

Turning her mind back to the matter at hand she noted Taeth was reading the letter. When she was done Shivased for her to hand it to Gwai. This was delivered to me a few minutes ago. I'm not quite sure what it means, so read it for yourself. I can say I'm not happy with her not being here, but we will have to wait and see what is going on.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Thain of The Mark
"Oh, I only wear the nightgown for field exercises and campaigns," Thalionwen told Gwai airily before stepping down from her place before the Marshals. Shivased, Taethowen and Gwai were conferring about something important-sounding, and she didn't like to get in the way.

But then something squirmed within her satchel, and let out an indignant meow. Thali gasped.

"Oh First Marshal, I nearly forgot!" she exclaimed. "I brought you something else, besides just the tea!"

Reaching into her bag, she pulled out a small, disgruntled-looking calico kitten.

"This is for you," Thali said solemnly, dropping the kitten onto Shivased's lap, where it promptly clawed its way up to her shoulder and began mewing shrilly into her ear. "It is a congratulations on being my Marshal and having me as your haelend present. Though I suppose it could also be for stress, like the tea. I always find sitting with a cat very relaxing. And I've got...a lot of them...at the Infirmary. Possibly too many. But that's neither here nor there. This particular cat is obviously very special and very perfect for you, and a fitting Promotion Day gift from one proud member of the Eastmark to her Marshal."

Hearing an alarmed cough from somewhere in the room, Thalionwen glanced to one side sharply.

"GRIMM!" she called out. "I SEE YOU OVER THERE! DO YOU NEED A CAT, TOO??? Sorry Marshals, no disrespect intended. GRIMM, DON'T YOU RUN AWAY, I NEED TO GIVE YOU SOME KITTENS. Sorry, sorry, may I be dismissed? I really need to go chase that Aethelwigend."
Bealdorhaelend
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Thain of The Mark

"...but we will have to wait and see what is going on," Shivased said.

Most of the contents of the letter were... rather clear to Taethowen. She'd been there for many of the events mentioned, except the conclusion of the Campian. She bit her lip a bit nervously as she handed the letter to Gwai, her eyes flickering up to meet her now-fellow-Marshal's gaze. The two of them had not yet discussed the events leading up to the fires, but she would eat her boots if it turned out that Gwai knew nothing of what had transpired.

Thalionwen stepped back up to them, then, and Taeth watched with bemusement as Shivased found herself to be gifted with an irate calico kitten. Thali scurried away, hollering after poor old Æthelwigend Grimm as she went. "He's going to need a raise if Thali keeps tormenting him," Taeth muttered, before turning back to the task at hand.

"I have some insight to the contents of Allacan's letter," she confessed, keeping her voice low. "I did compete in the Campian tournament, and I can see her reasoning behind recommending that Eldrith does not go near a sword. The new quartermaster showed considerable skill, but she landed the first injuring blow. Her continued strikes against the injured competitor meant he was unable to defend himself against another set of attacks--" Be calm, Taethowen Anhyrne, she thought to herself. This is about Cavalry business, and Cavalry business only. "--that another competitor had already initiated, and he was unable to pull back in time. The injuries incurred, while not fatal by any means... were not minor.

"And while I do not believe that it was intentional, the brutality of it, especially in a tournament was quite shocking."

Taethowen gave a pointed look to Shivased's pocket, knowing now that what she'd seen the First Marshal tucking away was the HCMA's insignia. "As for Allacan's matter... I do not know." That was the truth, at least. She may know about the recent incidents Allacan alluded to, but she was clueless about the personal matter. "I suppose we will simply have to wait and see when she returns."
Westmark Éored

Esquire of The Mark
Amadhrill

She hurried up to the imposing building, this time having a small smile as she saluted the guards and entered through the doors. The last times she had entered throught the doors, she had been tense, this time, she was calm, at ease even. She most have been one of the very last, if not the last. Was it not typical, she spent her days in the Meduseld eored infirmary and cavalry areas, just a few steps away, so she had to be the very last. She had been detained by one of the assistant hælends when she was about to leave, regarding one of the patients, but now she was inside and found a place among the Meduseldians, nodding her head in greeting to friends and comrades in arms.

Shivased soon spoke, and Ama could see pride in her eyes as the marshal looked around. Ama herself smiled a little too, it was good to see the number of the assembled cavalry. She joined in the chorus of the cavalry repeating the words of the First Marshal «Westu marshal Taethowen of the Westmark hal! Westu marshal Gwai of Meduseld hal!»

The next promotion had the Meduseld hælend smile and shake her head in disbelief. The peaceful pubmistress, now turned Quartermaster of the cavalry... Her face grew neutral for a moment, her fists clenched, but as the first marshal salutes Eldrith, Amadhrill also joins the cavalry members in a salute and the chorus «Westu Quartermaster Eldrith hal!»

Now it was the newly minted second marshal's time to speak, and Taethowen called forth the Bealdorhælend Rowena as her first duty. But the bealdorhælend did not show her face, and Ama was reminded that she had not seen the bealdorhælend in a while. The next task went better as Elarith stepped forth and was named Æthelwigend of the Westmark. Again she joined in the salute and chorus of the cavalry «Westu Æthelwigend Elarith hal!»

She listened to the words of her new marshal, Third Marshal Gwai, and was surprised at being mentioned among the other riders of Meduseld eored. And she heard her own name called around the Dragon Room, and her eyes found the other Meduseldians mentioned, she nodded her head in greeting to Audley, Grimthain, and Dicun. She saluted the marshal and joined the Meduseldians in the chorus «Westu Meduseld Éored hal!»

The promotions came rolling as a new Dryhtguma was called forward and she joined in the chorus «Westu Éolath, dryhtguma of the Westmark, hal!»

As promotions were done, the new marshal joined their respective eoreds, giving them all a moment to greet, inspect, and/or congratulate their new commanders. The hælend watched Gwai and Audley speak together, ending in a handshake. However, before she could make her way to her new marshal, the marshal had made her way to a trainee she knew. Éomund looked scared where he stood, next to a dark-haired trainee (Walpurga). She was close enough to hear the conversation, or rather the order given by the Third marshal for giving her a black eye, she had seen them both at the After-Party. She had missed something, that was for sure. She drew her breath and unclenched the fists as she listened to the order given by the third marshal to the trainee. Éomund had come throught the 'hike' in a way, and she had started to like the lad, well, young man, she reminded herself, she would not have liked being called 'lass' when she first joined the cavalry the same age.

Ent-wife hunt? The hælend turned around an looked at the new marshal, was she hiding laughter? Surely the poor trainee was to scared to notice, but Ama was not so easily convinced. She was not the only one reacting, she saw Grimthain close his eyes thight, noticed the extra deep breath and the change in his face before he approached the marshal and trainee. Oh, Bema, he joined in too... Part of her wanted to join in on the fun, avenge in a way the pointless tasks she had been given as a trainee. She laughed softly by herself, watching the two trainees to see if they went for it or realized the joke, as the new Æthelwigend asked for introductions.

Then, before Ama had time to even offer a smile at the trainee, he dashed out of the door. Ama smiled, well, surely she would hear how the whole 'task' went in time. The marshals gathered, obviously discussing something, and Ama could not help but overhear the words about Eldrith, again a shadow passed over her face as she thought about her friend. But she quickly straightened her face again as she approached Grimthain and gave him a salute before offering her hand. «I am Amadhrill, hælend of the Meduseld, but I do think we met when I did my retraining. Allacan has spoken well of you, and I look forward to getting to know you better!».

---
Tord (NPC, he/him)

A dryhtguma of the Eastmark made his way from the gathered Eastmarkers. He was in his thirties, with strawcolored hair and grey eyes, the typical Rohirrim. The face showed signs of a life in the cavalry with days spent out in the sun patrolling the plains and roads of Rohan. Now he walked with firm steps towards the gathered marshals, and saluted the three marshals. His voice was low and a little gruff, but pleasant, promising a good singing voice.

«You sent for me, marshals?» He said, standing with a straight back and head held high, in that proud but easy manner comon among the cavalry members.
Hælend of Meduseld

Knight of The Mark
Shivased was taken aback slightly when Thali left, only to return and thrust a kitten at her. A kitten that promptly clawed it's way up to her shoulder and sat there, mewling shrilly in her ear. She tried to pull the kitten down but it dug it's claws into the fine silk of her First Marshal sash and she was forced to let it stay there so it didn't damage the fabric. She sighed, but smiled at Thali. Thank you, she told the haelend. As irritating as the shrill mews were the calico was adorable and she appreciated the gift. I will treasure him, and I think name him Dragon after the Dragon Room. He can be our mascot in here.

She laughed outright at Thali's yelling at Grimm and looked to where the Aethelwigend was to see he looked rather panicked and was starting to make his escape. GRIMM! STAY THERE. THAT'S AN ORDER! She yelled across the room to him, a wide grin on her face that grew even wider when he glared daggers at her. Oh, it was fun tormenting the man; she just couldn't help it. She turned to Thali. Dismissed. Go, give Grimm kittens! And if you need homes for any more of them, bring them to me in the Riddermarket. I can get them homes in my shop, or take them to the crofter's farms on my estate. We an always use mousers in the barns.

She turned back to her fellow marshals and grew serious, her smile falling into a frown when Taeth said she knew something about the contents of Alla's letter. She listened, nodding and hiding her surprise. That was an interesting revelation. Something we should keep in mind when it comes to the quartermaster, she commented. I think a non-combat position is good for her in this case, though it sounds like she is capable of wielding a weapon if the necessity arises. She noted Taeth seemed to be somewhat upset while describing the incident in the Campian tournament, her jaw tense and eyes narrowed, but figured it was the viciousness of the attack being described from someone they all knew to be kind and gentle.

She noted the look at her pocket and nodded to show that yes, the pointed look was right and it was the HCMA insignia she had put in there. She was about to reply when a young man approached them and asked if they had sent for him. She briefly stared, confused, before it hit her. Tord!Thank you for coming!, she told him, turning away from the other three marshals for a minute.

You were called here because the marshals have noticed your dedication and commitment to the Cavalry, and have decided that you are to be promoted to Aethelwigend of the Eastmark. Congratulations! She pulled the badge from her pocket and, checking to make sure it was the right one, stepped forward and pinned it to his tunic. Then stepping back she saluted him. Westu Aethelwigend Tord hal!

(OOC @Amadhrill ( I'm not going to give you the Aethelwigend badge for your NPC here since you don't really need it for your signature, but I will have Taeth update her post in the Command TentHERE so you have access to it in the event you want to use it in Tord posts. )
Last edited by Shivased on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Thain of The Mark
Aethelwigend Grimthain, Meduseld Eored

Unfortunately for the newly transferred soldier it seemed he would have to manage his own introductions, as Dryhtguma Audley left the Dragon Room as promptly as he had entered, and Gwai was called away to her duties as Marshal. He found himself gazing after the Marshal as she headed away, curiously thinking things he had not thought in a very long time, and was only recalled to his senses when another Meduseld rider (Amadhrill) approached.

He saluted her by return, his eyes warming as he recognised her as the aspirant returnee Healand who had recently visited his ranks at Helm’s Deep, clearly relieved to find at least one other familiar face. She now introduced herself as Healand of his new Eored, so obviously positive reports of her performance had reached the ears of the Marshals
“Hail and well met, Healand Amadhrill, and a pleasure to be serving with you! We did meet briefly before, yes, I was Watchmaster at Helm’s Deep when you saw to my soldiers and I. I enjoyed the chamomile tea you left me immensely, and hope there might be a more steady supply available now I am in the capital. I’m not sure quite what Allacan might have said of me, or how deserving it was. But for my part, I owe you thanks; you whipped some of the Deep’s most rebellious soldiers into shape, quite literally I heard.” with an appreciative smile that showed he meant his gratitude. “Thanks for helping sooth Edgar’s cough, his hacking and hoiking were becoming rather disruptive and whatever you gave him worked a treat. I was also particularly impressed you managed to collar Talis and Audley for their physicals, and put up with what I could only imagine was a tirade of abuse from our Bealdorhealand’s husband; he’s used to getting seen by his wife, but I think it’s a good thing someone more... objective did his physically this time around.”

He pursed his lips and glanced at the door Audley had only recently exited through. “I had hoped that he and I could get to know each other, both having recently transferred from the Westmark, but I guess it will have to wait. I don’t really know the man all that well, I confess, but I am concerned...” his words faltered, not wanting to speak of the rumours he had heard about the ex-Marshal’s conduct towards her husband and the other Dryhtgumas, at least not in this room on this day. A fresh start, he tried to convince himself, although his worries refused to budge and kept niggling at him. He shook his head, waving it away as if it were nothing.

“Actually, there is some advice I could do with asking if you, Healand Amadhrill, although perhaps not the sort of enquiry you normally receive. Like Audley, my transfer to Meduseld Eored was rather sudden, albeit very welcome in my regard. I initially came to Edoras on a short personal trip and only learned of my transfer on arrival, but I fear now I am here I will be expected to jump into those urgent tasks required of an Aethelwigend such as getting to know the sperewigends and dryhtgumas serving beneath me, and I would feel remiss to leave again so early. That said, I’m afraid I only have a few of my belongings with me and left much of my cavalry regalia at the Deep. I don’t suppose you know of how I might be able to arrange to have my belongings - and there are not many of them, I assure you, I prefer a simple and thrifty life - transferred from Helm’s Deep to the barracks here? And, er... if you know where I might be able to borrow a secondary everyday uniform from in the meantime? And maybe another set of trews? Are there any sorts of stores or reserves of those things in Meduseld’s barracks?” He blushed a little at having to make such a request, but trusted to the healand’s discretion in such matters.
Last edited by Allacan ob Burzum on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
She/her.

New Soul
Gwai reached for the letter Taethowen handed her and read it quickly. She looked up to briefly meet Taeth's gaze. They would need to talk, soon, but this was neither the time or the place. "I was present at Campian, and I believe Allacan's recommendation is not unfounded," she said simply. As for the rest of the letter...much had happened recently that would require explanation. "Hopefully Allacan will be here soon with her report," Gwai concluded noncommittally.

Gwai nodded as Shivased agreed their new Quartermaster would thrive in a noncombatant position. Shivased was about to add something else, seemingly about the HCMA insignia, when Tord soon came up to the group. "Westu Tord hal!" Gwai smiled as the man received his promotion. "From what I have heard, this is well earned. Congratulations!" she said with a smile.

She hadn't seen Amadhrill earlier amongst the crowd, but now spied her speaking with Grimthain. She wanted to greet Ama, as well as get to know Meduseld's new Æthelwigend a bit better, but hesitated, as Ama and Grimthain appeared deep in conversation. Not wanting to interrupt, Gwai instead turned back to Shivased and Taeth, and reached to stroke the kitten wreaking havoc with Shivased's sash. "Poor Grimm," she commented lightly, unable to suppress a smile at the thought of the poor Æthelwigend being saddled with a whole family of kittens.
Meduseld Éored

Esquire of The Mark
Æthelwigend Tord

For a moment Tord saw the confusion on the face of the First marshal, but she quickly seemed to remember why he had been called. His face was grave as it often were, but as the words continued a smile entered his face. He was taken aback by the words, a promotion? That was unexpected, though he had worked towards it for much of his adult life. Pride gleemed in his eyes as the badge was pinned on his tunic and he could not surpress a proud smile as the marshal stepped back and saluted him. He returned the salute as he heard his new title presented for the cavalry.

«Thank you, marshals!» He said with the same proud smile towards the Third Marshal Gwai.

--------

Amadhrill

She snapped into a sharp salute and joined the chorus. «Westu Æthelwigend Tord hal» Then she returned her attention to Grimthain with a friendly smile. «I will see to it that there is always chamomille tea around for you, Æthelwigend, and should you run out there is always more to be found in the infirmary.»

Her laughter rang softly as he thanked her for whipping some of the Westmarkers into shape. «Ah, yes, there is nothing like the threat of a hælend to whip a soldier into shape. But I am glad to hear that Edgar is now better, I have left the report at the infirmary for the bealdorhælend, and I heard she has sent Esme there in her stead while she is away on business. But I do hope that there will a new hælend soon to lessen the load.» She laughed softly again at the words about the physicals of Talis and Audley, shook her head gently, but made no reply, the memory playing for a moment in her head. As Grimthain grew more serious, so did the hælend and she followed his glance towards the door. «Come see me in the infirmary where we can speak in private, if you do not wish to adress the marshals with your concern.»

«I guess the marshals will send word to the Westmark with news of your promotion, and then some unlucky wigend will have to pack up your belongings and send it over. I must admit, there has been many years since I was transfered on the whim of a marshal, come to think of it, I believe every transfer I ever made was due to my own request.» She shrugged. «But spare uniforms, that I can help you with. I had to... pick up a few items, pretty much everything, when I returned, ten years do make a difference...» She chuckled «There is a depot where you should be able to get all you need next to the mess hall.»
Hælend of Meduseld

Thain of The Mark
Æthelwigend Grimthain, human, he/him

"Westu Æthelwigend Tord hal" he echoed, Amadhrill before turning back to her respectfully to listen to her response. As she mentioned a sperewigend at Helm's Deep being given the responsibility of packing up his belongings, he visibly looked uncomfortable and instinctively responded with haste, as though suddenly afraid she spoke to and felt an urgency to try and avoid such a circumstance. "Argh! Oh no! I... err... would hate to be deemed as speaking ill of my comrades, but many of those sperewigends were under my command previously and while I might trust them to take care of watching over prisoners or in cavalry service, I am less comfortable having them root through my personal possessions. I have nothing to hide, I assure you, its just that... I have few possessions in this world and those I do have I cherish dearly even though to others they might seem like only rubbish. I would be very upset should any of them be handled without respect or should come to harm or, worse yet, go missing." He was clearly trying to remain calm, but also obviously distressed at the thought. He could not however bring himself to add that he was an orphan, and among those belongings he had left safely (or so he thought) tucked away in Helm's Deep was the ragged, tattered blanket that was the only possession that he had from the time he had been left as a babe on the front door-step of a cavalry outpost in the Westfold, or the collection of stones he had collected; many of them appearing nothing more than pebbles and rough rocks, but to him each one represented a different family who had taken him in during his upbringing and had helped to nurture him from abandoned babe to a full grown man. He had not expected to be transferred to Meduseld without notice, so he had neglected to pack all his belongings away in his travel trunk before leaving Helm's Deep and the idea of losing these precious artefacts that would appear to be only rubbish and debris to another almost caused him physical pain.

Thankfully he was speaking with a cavalry Hælend, one of the few people in the cavalry who actually had expertise at reading someone's body-language and tone and who, on occasion, the sperewigends would *insist* could read people's thoughts. He relied now on that almost psychic ability in addition to her discretion and tried to focus his thoughts away from uncharacteristic panic.
"Do you suppose if I speak with Marshal Gwai, or maybe Marshal Taeth, do you think they might allow me leave to travel to Helm's Deep and arrange to pack and transport my belongings myself?" He then added as an afterthought
"Or at the least, let me choose someone - a rider or sperewigend I trust - who might be sent in my stead?"
Æthelwigend of the Meduseld Éored

Thain of The Mark
Gwai's gaze met hers for just a moment, and Taeth hoped that they would be able to find a quiet moment and chat soon. So much had happened the night before, and she would welcome Gwai's steady mind in parsing through it all. Part of her wished she'd been able to ignore the HCMA's summons, but then... well, who knew what might have happened if she hadn't been there.

Taeth nodded in agreement at Shivased's assessment. "Eldrith is certainly capable of wielding a weapon if necessary," she agreed. "I certainly wouldn't mind if I could run some drills with her. My swordsmanship has become rusty the last few years."

Before the conversation could progress further, though, an Eastmark dryhtguma (Tord) approached them, then saluted. "You sent for me, marshals?"

Taeth glanced toward the First Marshal, uncertain of who this dryhtguma might be, and it seemed Shivased was having the same issue before a look of recognition crossed her face, and she greeted the man as Tord. So this was the one they'd selected before the ceremony to fill in a much-needed post. Taeth had found it a bit awkward to help make a selection based solely on paperwork, but she was pleased seeing him now, as he appeared to be comport himself well and have an air of trustworthiness about him. Moments later, a short but by now very familiar promotion took place, and Taeth echoed the familiar call around the Dragon Room. "Westu Æthelwigend Tord hal!"

Taeth turned back to the First Marshal after Tord's promotion was complete, and she couldn't help but smile and shake her head a little as Gwai petted the kitten clinging to Shivased's shoulder. Poor Grimm indeed, if Thali actually managed to hoist all the kittens off on him.

"Was there anything else urgent to deal with?" Taeth asked Shivased. "If not, I should at least finish greeting the Westmarkers, since I'm a brand new face to them."
Westmark Éored

Thain of The Mark
With the busy promotions and urgent discussions finished, the new Marshals are getting to know the members of their éoreds who are present.

The afternoon slowly passes by, filled with chatter and laughter, and eventually more paperwork and discussions. With dusk comes exhaustion, as the Cavalry had a busy night previously, cleaning up from the chaos of the Summer Festival, and then everyone being summoned first thing the next day.

The next several days are filled with a quiet kind of hustle. The Dragon Room itself is a little less filled with people, but the Marshals are often seen coming and going, making arrangements and assignments, and prioritizing to-do lists.

Everything comes to an abrupt halt with the sudden advent of the Lost & Found Mission, and the Dragon Room shifts and warps through time to now stand just after the conclusion of that somewhat ill-fated series of events.

OOC: TIME SKIP! The Dragon Room is now located on the 'timeline' post-Lost & Found.
Westmark Éored

Elven Enchanter
Finally clean, tidy, and dressed in his nicest clothes, (though still rather tired after several days in the open air partaking in whatever that training event was), Éomund found himself standing once again in the Dragon Room, this time preparing to take his oath as a member of the Cavalry. After the badge fight, Marshal Shivased had approached him and instructed him to report to the Dragon Room after cleaning up upon return to Edoras. He was to be instated as a member of the Eastmark, which greatly relieved him. He knew a few members of the Westmark, but the Hornburg was far too close to his childhood home for his comfort and he still needed some distance from his mother to try and figure out their relationship.

As he approached the marshals, it would be an understatement to say he was nervous. He could hardly believe that he had actually done it. Perhaps he would be able to make something of his life after all. He stood before the Marshals as he slowly said the oath, carefully annunciating every word, not daring to make a mistake. This was easily one of the most important acts he would ever do in his life and he needed to do it correctly.

Moments after completing the oath but before the Marshals could present him with his insignia, a messenger (who by his dress appeared to be a guard from the Throne Room) appeared and approached the group. He addressed the First Marshal in a whisper, and after a nod from her, turned towards Éomund and said, “Éomer-King and Æthelwigend Grimthain request your presence in the Throne Room.”

Éomund blinked in surprise, but nodded. The insignia would have to wait apparently. He bowed towards the Marshals, stuttered an, “Excuse me,” and hurried out of the room, wondering what on earth he had done to deserve getting called to the throne room. The incident with Marshal Gwai was in the past and he was simply the newest member of the Cavalry. There was no reason for the king to require his presence. How did the king even know who he was? And why was Fædra there? He didn't think the king would meet all the members of the Cavalry, and even if he did, it wouldn't be privately. Once out of the building, he broke into a run as he headed towards the Throne Room.

After Éomund had left, the messenger stepped towards the Marshals and said, “If it pleases you, the king would like to present the newest recruit with his insignia.” The insignia was placed into his hand and with a bow, the man departed and headed back to the Throne Room to hand the insignia over to the king for presentation to one of the Cavalry's newest members.

Balrog
Walpurga

They had returned to Edoras after the training mission and badger fight (only one of had actually been intentional) and Walpurga had been ordered to appear in the Dragon Room. Despite being ordered not to participate in the battle, she had apparently done just enough to warrant selecting an eored to continue her training. She wasn’t going to argue (she’d learned that lesson already) but privately it was not something she could even pretend to understand. She had not been allowed to participate in the battle, having been ordered to stay in the hæland’s tent because of an injury to her hands, and on the actually training exercise the only thing she had managed to do was kill some wolves and earn the ire and annoyance of her partner, who turned out to be Second Marshal of all things!

The entire journey back she had pondered what to do. The trip, once they were back on horses, did not take near as long. By the time they reached the gates of the capital, she was no closer to a decision. Éomund seemed to have made up his mind already about where he was going to go and, for his sake, she was happy for him. She thought about joining with him but dismissed the idea.

She bathed, rested, and dressed when they arrived. It would likely be her final night at the inn and she was going to enjoy it for all it was worth. She had a quick breakfast of oatcakes and peaches then raced off to the Dragon Room, still with no idea what she was going to say. Whatever eored she picked, she was going to be alone and far from home where nobody knew her (which could have been a good thing); she supposed it was just a matter of flipping a three-sided coin and figuring it out that way. She had no ties, no connections, no companions to sway her in any direction.

She entered the grand hall, her mind still unmade. She would have like to make a list in her mind of all the good and bad for each but there had been no time and she knew almost nothing about them so the list would have bee incredibly short. Here she was, in the Dragon Room before the Marshals. Think!

“I have been told that I am allowed to request which eored I would like to continue my training,” her voice was clear and calm, in direct opposition to how she was feeling, her mind was racing. “I would humbling like to request I stay here, in Edoras and join the Meduseld eored.”

That decision surprised her, though to be fair either of the other two would have surprised her as well. It was easier, she reasoned with herself after the words escaped her and filled the Dragon Room, to stay here and train than to uproot her entire existence again and go somewhere else just as foreign and lonely as Edoras. Now, hopefully, the Marshals would grant her request and allow her to stay.

Knight of The Mark
Shivased sat in her chair, her leg propped up on a stool with a pillow under it, her face a storm cloud of ill-humour. On her lap a small calico kitten purred contentedly, oblivious to it's owner's foul mood, and leaning up against her chair was a finely carved cane with a handle shaped like a horse's head. I hate this, she tossed out to Gwai and Taeth , reaching for the ever-present cup of tea on the table beside her. Next to the tea sat a few pieces of parchment, some with rather....graphic....stick-figure drawings and a few pots of coloured ink and a quill. The picture on top depicted a figure with a crown having a badger thrown at it while a group of people cheered. Writing a letter was a stupid idea. I should hobble over there and tell him exactly what I think about that exercise.

She took an angry sip of the tea and set the mug down hard enough to slosh some of the liquid. I could make Grimm carry me. The haelends said I can't ride, they didn't say I couldn't have an aethelwigend carry me. She glanced over to the corner where her ceorl, Haru, was watching her with narrowed eyes, and gave him a sour look. She didn't like that he'd been set as her babysitter to make sure she actually rested. The old man was over-protective and took keeping her healthy far too seriously, so being injured with him around was extremely inconvenient. She had more important things to do, like yell at the king. Nobody put her riders in danger like he had and expect it to be ignored. Any of them could have died, and there could have been more serious injuries than a few scrapes and sprains.

She was still fuming and trying to think of a way to get to the Throne Room when Éomund arrived. He was cleaned up and looked much better, like the rest of them now. He approached the marshals and began swearing his oath. Shivased listened, then nodded. She knew what eored he was choosing, based on where he had fought during the battle with the badgers. She reached into the bowl of insignias and was about to wave him forward when a messenger arrived, requesting Éomund's presence in the Dragon Room.

She nodded at Éomund to do as requested. We will finish this when you return, she told him. Frowning at the messenger for interrupting them, she was about to chastise him when he quietly asked her for the insignia and explained why. She sighed but nodded and handed the blue token over to him, then watched him depart. Her eyes narrowed as she watched his retreating back, and her decision was solidified in her mind. Then, she called a wigend over and asked him to send for Grimm. Now, to find a reason to send Haru off on an errand so she could make her escape.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Thain of The Mark

Second Marshal Taethowen was a bit preoccupied sorting through some recent correspondence that had arrived in the confusing aftermath of the most recent training mission, and missed the Third Marshal Gwai excusing herself--with an odd look at Taeth as she did so, since the two of them had planned to present themselves to the King together that morning--and Éomund's arrival and subsequent summoning to the Throne Room, as well as First Marshal Shivased's complaining about the training exercise.

In fact, it was only after Taethowen found a particular bit of news--in the form of a letter, presumably sent from Gondor--about the Bealdorhælend that Taeth realized she was late. "Oh Bema," she gasped, tossing the letter into Shivased's lap. "I'm supposed to be with Gwai at the Throne Room right now. But here, this letter apparently arrived while we were cleaning things up after the mission. The Bealdorhælend's resigned. But we can discuss it after Gwai and I get back."

With that, Taeth rushed out of the Dragon Room and to Meduseld.

A while later, after they'd all returned, there were some quick conferencing between the Marshals about who to promote to Bealdorhælend. Just as they came to their decision, Walpurga entered and requested to be placed in the Meduseld eored. Taeth felt a little disappointment, as she'd felt somewhat of a bond with the trainee during the training mission, but it was the girl's right to serve wherever she wished to.

As Gwai stepped away to welcome Walpurga, Taeth stepped up to the First Marshal, hoping she wouldn't appear insubordinate with her request.

"By rights, I know the Bealdorhælend appointment should come from you but... would you permit me to do it this once?" Taeth asked, willing to concede the matter if necessary, but hoped that the First Marshal would understand.

Shivased's eyes softened just slightly, and when the First Marshal nodded, Taeth broke out into a wide grin. "Thank you!" Taeth said, only just barely keeping herself from bouncing with excitement, and then went to draw up a quick letter.

Minor godmodding with permission from @Gwai and @Shivased.
Westmark Éored

Thain of The Mark
Grimm, arriving in the Dragon Room

With a slightly dazed expression etched across his serious face, Aethelwigend Grimm entered the Dragon Room in response to the First Marshal's summons. It was one of his off-duty days, and though he'd managed to make himself presentable, there were still a few stray cat hairs clinging to his Cavalry garb. Attempting to brush them off surreptitiously, he stopped before the First Marshal and saluted.

"Here at your request, First Marshal," Grimm said. "What does the Cavalry require of me?"

Thalionwen, also arriving

Ducking into the Dragon Room in a clean, unbleached linen kirtle and capacious haelend's apron, with her fair hair pinned neatly back, Thali frowned. She hadn't expected to be summoned today, otherwise she wouldn't have brought Grimm all those cats. She'd probably still have brought him some cats, but not quite so many. Still, perhaps it was better this way. They'd get themselves accustomed to his sad, furniture-less room without interference, and then he could bond with them after returning.

Catching sight of the reserved Aethelwigend standing before their Marshal, Thali opened her mouth to call out and then snapped it shut again. No, Thali. It was an official summons. Now is not the time.

Straightening and putting on her best the-haelend-is-in air, she joined Grimm before the dais.

"Marshals," Thalionwen said with a bow. "You summoned me?"
Bealdorhaelend
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

New Soul

Gwai frowned a bit as she looked at the drawing Shivased was planning on showing the King. Fortunately the First Marshal decided to scrap the letter, but Gwai’s level of concern shot even higher when Shiva now decided to have Grimm carry her to the Throne Room to tell the King her thoughts in person. “Perhaps a conversation that avoids yelling would be more effective?” Gwai suggested halfheartedly, not imagining for a second she would be able to dissuade Shivased.

After their return from the Throne Room, the conversation quickly turned to the Bealdorhaelend promotions. The conversation had just finished, when Walpurga approached, ready to choose her éored, and much to Gwai's delight picking Meduseld. Grimm and Thali soon entered as well, Grimm still brushing kitten hair off his tunic.

“Westu Walpurga hal!” Gwai greeted the young woman with a smile. “I am pleased to welcome you to the ranks of the Meduseld Éored! While I have not yet had the pleasure of knowing you well, I was most impressed with your actions in the hӕlend tent during the badger fight, and I heard from the Second Marshal you handled yourself capably on the wilderness portion of the cavalry exercise, albeit enthusiastically,” she said with a bit of a smile, having heard of the adventures with the wolves. "You have proved yourself worthy of the rank of drythguma," she said firmly, feeling confident in the decision to bypass the rank of sperewigend altogether based on the young woman's actions.

She picked up the insignia of the Meduseld drythguma and approached Walpurga, extending it. “You are a most welcome addition to our ranks, Walpurga! You have demonstrated your abilities thus far quite admirably, and I look forward to working beside you as we face more challenges together,” she said formally, extending her hand to the newest dryhtguma. Never one for overmuch formality, however, Gwai added in an undertone, “And Meduseld always has the best badger burgers!" she said with a wink, forgetting briefly she had advised Walpurga to hide the baby badger. Taking a step back, she asked in a normal voice, "Have you taken your cavalry oath yet?"

OOC @Frostbite (here's the small version: https://i.imgur.com/M7x1JNjm.jpg)
Meduseld Éored

Thain of The Mark

Taeth Second Marshal Taethowen resisted the urge to glare at Thalionwen as she approached the dais, pretending to be all prim and proper, and bowed. "Marshals. You summoned me?"

With a sigh, Taethowen retrieved the required insignia, and stepped up in front of her friend. "Bealdorhælend Rowena has stepped down from her position," Taethowen said as she came to stand before Thalionwen. "We Marshals have made our decision, and believe that you would be the best suited to replace her.

"You will remain in the Eastmark eored, but First Marshal Shivased has allowed me the honors of granting you this promotion," Taeth smiled, finally moving past her frustration at the letter mix-up. She wanted to do this for her friend.

Taeth reached over and removed the hælend insignia from Thali's shoulder, and began to pin the Bealdorhælend insignia, in Eastmark blue, in place. "Thalionwen, it is my honor to grant you the position of Bealdorælend for the Cavalry of Rohan. We are honored to have a skilled hælend such as yourself in our ranks."

The Second Marshal stepped back and saluted. "Westu Bealdorhælend Thalionwen hal!"

Link to image for signature: https://i.imgur.com/BAvYLdtm.jpg
Westmark Éored

Thain of The Mark

Thalionwen stared blankly at Taethowen--or rather, the Second Marshal--pinned the Beadorhaelend's insignia to her shoulder. A wash of shock, and yes, horror, washed over her at the sight of it. It was only a sense of duty to the people of Rohan that had caused Thali to attempt reenlisting in the Cavalry in the first place. That same sense of duty--to people, rather than to any sort of power or institution or establishment--had led to all the misunderstandings over her reentry task, and nearly cost her a haelend's role at all.

She'd been happy just to be back in the Cavalry at all. And she'd meant to keep her head down within its confines (inasmuch as Thalionwen Hunigfolm ever kept her head down) and do her job. Now she was being elevated to a position where she'd not just be responsible for herself and her patients, but for the work and oversight of all haelends within the Cavalry. She'd never even thought to aspire to that role. It held a weight of responsibility and expectation like nothing she'd ever known.

"Taeth, I...I can't," Thali breathed. "I'm not right for this."

It was, surprisingly, the dour Aethelwigend Grimm who saved her from her own surge of doubt.

"You're good at this," he said quietly, from where he still stood at attention before the First Marshal. His gaze never faltered, fixed on the officer who'd summoned him, but Thali knew who his words were for. "You told me so. That you're good at this, and it's what you're meant to do. So do it then, and don't let fear get in your way."

Letting out a trembling breath, Thalionwen nodded. It was true. She was a good healer--that was the beginning and the end of her, she sometimes thought. And that was, when it came down to it, what the Bealdorhaelend ought to be. A good healer. Someone who cared for the Cavalry not as an entity, but as a body of people, all of them flawed and fragile and oftentimes in need of help.

Thali had never said no to anyone asking for help before. In a way, this was just that.

"Thank you, Second Marshal," she managed to get out. "It will be my honor to serve the Rohirrim in this role. I only hope I prove a credit to the rank."

She still had her doubts as to whether she would prove a credit to the office of Bealdorhaelend, but Thali knew she'd put everything she had into trying.
Bealdorhaelend
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

Thain of The Mark

"Taeth, I... I can't," Thali breathed. "I'm not right for this."

Before Taeth could answer, Æthelwigend Grimm spoke up, and the Second Marshal couldn't help the smile that teased at her lips as she heard the man's words. It seemed that he'd gotten to know Thali quite well since the Cavalry exercise.

So Taeth held her own words as she waited for Thali to come to the realization on her own. And though her friend's voice still wavered, with just a bit of shock underlying her tone, Thali managed to square her shoulders and stand up just a little taller. "Thank you, Second Marshal. It will be my honor to serve the Rohirrim in this role. I only hope I prove a credit to the rank."

"You will," Taethowen replied with quiet confidence. "You've already proven your ability through opening up your Infirmary. And as Æthelwigend Grimm said, healing is what you're meant to do. The position of Bealdorhælend doesn't have to be forever, either. But you have the abilities required, whether it's healing, delegating, or telling us Marshals when to sit down and shut up and rest.

"There's nothing I have ever been more certain of than your calling to this type of role. The fact that you think you're not right for this role means that you are, because you're not in it for yourself. You're here because you love the people who make up the Cavalry, and there's no one we need at our side more than that."
Westmark Éored

Esquire of The Mark
Amadhrill walked with measured steps up to the Dragon Room, she wanted to tell the marshals off for the recent training. On the ride back home she was sure steam of anger had came out of her ears. She had kept silent, knowing herself well enough not to speak before the stomack was full and her body properly rested. Now she was clean, well-fed and well-rested, her balance restored. She had thought it through, well she hoped, so that she could speak in a respectful manner about her concern.

The doors of the Dragon Room were opened by the wigends and she entered, only to find she nearly stepped into Éomund. She gave the lad a surprised look as he broke into a run, but she was glad to see him back in shape and clean. The rather grave expression on her face gave way for a smile as Walpurga chose to join Meduseld éored and was welcomed by Gwai. The hælend joined in the chorus «Westu Walpurga hal!».

She walked up to the new dryhtguma, casting her eyes on her hands then giving the dryht a pat on the back. «Welcome to Meduseld! I am happy you chose to join us!» Her attention, however was quickly caught by the next promotion as Thali stepped before the marshals, Taethowen stepping forward. Ama was surprised to hear that Rowena had stepped down as the bealdorhælend, but the promotion came as no surprise to her. She knew that the choice had been between herself and Thali, had to be, and the marshals knew how busy she was between the pub and her family. To see her fellow hælend take on the task, first looking as if she had fallen off the surface of the moon, but quickly recovering, seeming to straighten her back and lift her head in the new resolve. «Westu bealdorhælend Thalionwen hal!»

It was not often she would press herself forward to be the first to congratulate, but now she did. She quickly sidesteped a few wigends and saluted the marshals and the new bealdorhælend. She didn't know the bealdorhælend too well yet, but some things she knew, and she threw her arms around the new bealdorhælend. «Freond min! I am honored to serve as a hælend under you as the bealdorhælend!»

Then she let the other go, and stood back, smiling brightly «Now, I was going to have a word with the marshals about the last training excercise... but now that you are here, out of the nightgown....» She laughed a little, though there was a serious concern in it. «Bealdorhælend Thali, may I raise my concerns, as a hælend, regarding the last...excercise... to you or should I take them directly to the marshals?»
Hælend of Meduseld

Knight of The Mark
When the Second Marshal asked to present the Bealdorhaelend badge, Shivased didn't feel like she could say no. It would mean more to Taeth than it would to her to do it, and she deserved the honour. Her face softened when the request was asked of her and she nodded, smiling happily as the woman bounced off to send the summons. She then went back to her previous thoughts, glancing occasionally at Haru while trying to think of a way to get rid of him. She could easily enlist her fellow marshals at this point, but she wasn't overly sure they would go along with her plan, especially once they knew what that plan was.

Haru, I need you to run an errand, she said finally, waving her ceorl over. He came dutifully but gave her a suspicious look. Don't look at me like that, unless you want me to run the errand myself? If you're going to lurk around, you might as well be useful. At his shake of the head no she nodded. Good. I need you to go find Aethelwigend Grimm. I need to speak to him about arranging patrol duty in the marketplace. Then go check with the stablemaster. I'm expecting a report on horses he requires from Braiarwood for the Cavalry, and it isn't here. I needed it yesterday. She did her best to seem serious while speaking and during the suspicious inspection Haru gave her. When he nodded, then turned and hurried away she sagged in relief. Grimm had already been sent for, so the Aethelwigend would be here before Haru even got to the man's lodgings. By the time Haru figured out what was wrong, she'd be out of here.

Just then the aforementioned Aethelwigend appeared and reported to her, and her spirits lifted a bit, at least for the moment. Indignant anger still simmered just below the surface. Good! You're here! she said, trying not to grin at how stiff and formal he was. Relax, Grimm. You're so stiff you might fall over. You carried me across the mark, you can be a little more relaxed. Especially since your'e going to carry me some more.

The Aethelwigend started and stared at her, a bit of resignation entering his face, but she shook her head and motioned for him to be quiet while Thali received her promotion. When it was done she pushed to her feet, aided by the horse-head cane, and hobbled forward. Congratulations, Bealdorhaelend Thalionwen, she said, her voice full of pride. You will certainly do the rank, and the marshals, proud. Her voice lowered and she glanced at Grimm, who had barely moved and was still staring forward. Now, you mind if I borrow him as a pack-horse again? I have a few things to discuss with the king.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!