Dragon Room II - New Beginnings - CLOSED

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Balrog

Walpurga

An emotion that Walpurga had not felt in a very long time surged through her. The breath left her body, leaving her totally stunned for a moment. She could feel the tears welling up behind her eyes. No. She was not going to let them fall, not here, not in front of everyone. Shakily, she took in a deep breath and bit her lip. She had been accepted. Marshal Gwai had accepted her, she wanted Walpurga here. A warmth spread though her chest. Tears threatened to fall. No. No. She clasped her hands tightly in front of her and took a deep breath, hoping to re-center herself. It had been so long since she had felt welcomed, felt wanted. It felt alien. Not only was she accepted into the Meduseld eored, but she was also being promoted to the rank of drythguma, bypassing the rank of sperewigend entirely. She was at a completely loss for words. Thank the galloping stars she did not just leave her mouth hanging open like a cow staring at the sun.

The events of the last few days had been strange, to put it mildly. The training exercise had been a disaster according to the higher ups with supplies being dealt out at such a random disbursement and multiple animal engagements (the wolves that attacked her and Marshal Taethowen had not been the only ones), combined with the poorly outlain camp, the badger attack, and Allacan’s sudden and (at least to Walpurga) unexplainable disappearance, not to mention the baby badger that had somehow wondered into the fray and summarily imprinted on Walpurga (though she was still unsure as to the events that had led the little one to finding her in the first place).

Just when Walpurga thought she had a handle on herself, Ama, the hæland she had become acquainted with during the mission, joined in with congratulations. Reflexively, she brushed her fingers through her hair and blushed crimson.

“I have,” she said as she accepted the insignia of drythguma in response to the Marshal’s question. She’d taken the oath just before she arrived and announced her request to join the Meduseld eored. The weight of the insignia filled Walpurga with a sense of pride, a sense of belong. She clutched the symbol hard, letting the cool metal dig into her skin.

Her breath caught when the Marshal mentioned badger burgers. She still had no idea what a “burger” was and why they would have badger in them but... she had a lot to learn, and her as of yet unnamed baby badger rummaging around her room at the inn was not going to end up as one of them.

Thank Bema’s lucky balls though, as soon as she accepted her insignia, the attention in the room turned to Thalionwen, the other hæland that had been sent on the mission (and Walpurga had avoided), who was being promoted to Bealdorhælend. While she wasn’t sure what that meant, she could tell by the great upwell of concordant voices that she had earned this position. Not one the be left flat footed, Walpurga joined in the congratulations.

“Westu, Bealdorhælend Thalionwen, hal!”
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Thain of The Mark
Tears clouded Thalionwen's eyes for a moment at Taethowen's words, but she blinked them back and nodded. Just in time, too, for her warm-hearted fellow haelend, Amadhrill, had slipped through the crowd to offer both congratulations and an embrace. Thali hugged the other haelend tightly, already knowing after the Cavalry's disastrous training exercise that the two of them made a wonderful team.

"Thank you, Ama," Thali said with a smile. "Knowing the Cavalry already has wonderful healers like you in the ranks makes the prospect of taking on the post of Bealdorhaelend a little less daunting. As for our unfortunate recent training exercise, if you glance over at the First Marshal, I think you'll agree we may not have to say anything at all. I've seen thunderheads that look less forbidding, and she's looked so ever since the exercise."

Thalionwen tried and predominantly failed to stifle a laugh, but she managed to swallow the last of it as Shivased approached her.

"Thank you so much, First Marshal," she said in response to the offered congratulations. "It means a great deal to me that you're confident in my capabilities."

As Shivased asked to borrow Grimm, Thali grinned impishly. "I suppose now that he's not being actively kidnapped by me, I shouldn't speak for Aethelwigend Grimm, but...of course you can borrow him. GRIMM. YOU'RE GOING WITH THE FIRST MARSHAL."

Only a few feet away from the new Bealdorhaelend and the First Marshal, Grimm sighed.

"I'm right here," he said wearily. "There's no need to shout. And of course I'm going with the First Marshal--she gives my orders. Unlike others I could mention."

Edging away from Shivased and Grimm, who clearly had business of their own to look after, Thali rejoined Amadhrill.

"There'll be sparks flying in the Throne Room shortly, you mark my words," she said under her breath, laughter still in her voice. "I wouldn't be the king for anything today."
Bealdorhaelend
Proud member of the Eastmark
Lead Healer, Edoras Infirmary
Shopkeeper, Cwep Ciese

New Soul
Walpurga looked a bit overwhelmed after receiving her insignia, and Gwai smiled, remembering well feeling the same way when had completed her training. She hadn’t been promoted straight to dryhtguma either, and thought Walpurga must be feeling excited as well as nervous. She placed her hand on the young dryhtguma’s shoulder. “You will make our Éored proud,” she told Walpurga with confidence, looking her straight in her eyes, before taking a step back to watch the next promotion.

Gwai stood back as she watched Taethowen pin the Bealdorhӕlend insignia on Thalionwen. She happily joined in the cheering, as Thali accepted the position, looking a bit overwhelmed, but excited. "Congratulations Thali!" Gwai sang out happily.

She shook her head and held back a smile as Shivased called the longsuffering Grimm forward, clearly planning to go to the Throne Room as planned. “I wonder if we should warn the King,” she murmured under her breath to no one in particular.
Third Marshal of the Mark
Meduseld Éored

Knight of The Mark
Shivased grinned as Thali said she could borrow Grimm. Haru still hadn't come back - likely he hadn't even found Grimm yet, nevermind gone to the stables - so her getaway would be easy. And Thali, despite being a haelend, seemed to know exactly what she was up to and, if the impish grin on her face was any indication, she approved of the plan.

Motioning Grimm forward she made a twirling motion with her fingers. Turn around. Grimm's face shifted for just a second into a look of shock before settling on resignation. You could just ride there, you know, he told her even as he did as asked.

Shivased shook her head even as she was hoisted onto his back. Had to get my horse out of there once. It wasn't pretty. That placce isn't made for horses. she told him, ignoring his muttered Why am I not surprised?. She settled her walking stick under her arm and patted his shoulder. Besides, this has so much more impact, doesn't it? He can see how you and I spent half a day getting to know each other.

She had to resist the urge to nudge him in the sides like a horse, instead waiting for him to start walking towards the doors. Once they were out of earshot of everyone else she patted his shoulder again. I'll take as many kittens as you want. Bring them to me in the Riddermarket, and I won't tell Thali, she told him. It was her way of appeasing him and he seemed to get the message because, with a grunt, headed out of the Dragon Room and in the direction of the Throne Room.
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Esquire of The Mark
Ama glanced over towards the first marshal at the Bealdorhælend's suggestion, and heard the laughter in Thali's voice even as Shiva came over to congratulate the new Bealdorhælend. The hælend stood back for a little as the marshal climbed on top of the Æthelwigend Grimm's back, sparks nearly flying from the first marshal. She nodded.

«So at least the marshals were not behind the...whatever we shall call it...» Her green eyes followed the marshal on her «horse» as they went out of the Dragon Room. When she spoke, her anger had disapeared. «I would not like to be the king either, with the first marshal in that mood. Though I am sort of wanting to be a fly on the wall, so to speak. And I must say I am wish I knew who was behind that mess, I will be sure to add no honey or sweet herb for that ones next medicine!»

Then she remembered that Thali was no longer just a hælend, but her bealdorhælend, and she blushed and added quietly. "I will not do it, Bealdorhælend, just enjoy the thought of it..."
Hælend of Meduseld

Knight of The Mark
Re-entering the Dragon Room Shivased had Grimm stop in the shadows by the doors and looked around carefully. She had put effort into escaping her ceorl, and it wouldn't do to get caught on her return. Not seeing him she urged Grimm forward and slipped off his back when he got to the dais. Hobbling over to her chair she sat down and settled her foot back on the stool, then put her cane aside carefully. It needed to look like she hadn't left. I feel like an errant schoolgirl, she said to Grimm with a grin. Back when I would sneak away from lessons to go riding.

Once settled and hopefully looking like she had never left, she studied Grimm, still grinning. Good job today. I do owe you one after this, and after that blasted exercise. You do make a good steed. Now, go and take tomorrow off duty as well. If you still want to take me up on my offer, visit me in the Riddermarket, or visit Jacen at his shop. Either of us will help. She stayed a bit cryptic in case anyone reported back to Thali what was said, even conversationally. She doubted the Bealdorhaelend would be angry, but did know poor Grimm would get teased or played with in some way for it. And as funny as that was, she figured she owed him at least a little.

Once Grimm had left she rested her head back and closed her eyes, letting out a quiet groan. She couldn't believe what she'd done. She stood by her decision to confront the King, since it had been his exercise. But now she was sure the monarch would think she was insane, or at least suffering some sort of fatigue. A hand on her shoulder startled her. Jumping a bit she turned to find Haru standing beside her.

"Couldn't find the Aethelwigend, ma'am. Did get ye the reports." he said, slapping them onto her lap a little harder than necessary. "Ran into someone who was in the Throne Room though, he said he saw the Aethel in there. Might should I go look there?" The words were delivered in an even, innocent tone but a glance at Haru's eyes had Shivased swallowing nervously. Damn. She'd been caught.

No, no need to go find him. Grimm actually stopped by here while you were running errands so I no longer need to see him. She kept her own voice even and with a hint of authority tossed in to throw Haru off and immediately picked up the papers to bury her nose in. Damn but she'd be paying for it for the next week. Haru may be her ceorl, but he'd been her father's before hers and viewed her as more his child than his master. She sighed. It was going to be a long few days.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Ent Ancient
Lailyn, delivering honey for the hælends

The Dragon Room. Here she was. The one place she thought she'd never have to face again. With slow and heavy steps, she made her way to the doors and tried hard not to recall the last time she'd been here. She barely managed to give the guards a thin-lipped smile before she took a deep breath and entered.

It was just as intimidating now as it was in her memories. This place would never be comfortable for her. Swallowing down her fear, her gaze paused on the red banner of the Westmark that had once been the emblem of her pride and that of her family-in-arms. She could have just left the honey outside or sent it with someone else but she needed to know she could face this place with old memories that somehow still haunted her.

As she stood there holding a crate of honey, ready to present it to to a Marshal, or a hælend, or really anyone so she could be on her way, she couldn't help thinking how different everything was between then and now. Not only the city, but herself. The day she resigned she felt defeated and weak, exhausted not only from the physical demands of the Northern Winds campaign but the emotional ones, too. But she had laid down her bow and her badge knowing it was what she needed.

Lailyn was surprised at how she now managed to stand tall now despite the uniformed soldiers around her who wore their blades with honor. But she did hesitate and stand off to one side, unsure how to proceed here as a civilian and how she ought to pass the honey off. Should she leave it with anyone or should she give it to a Marshal, who were all aware of the planned delivery?

( OOC: hope this is ok, not totally sure how this is all fitting in timeline-wise, but the thread seemed to quiet down a bit. feel free to address Lail after promotions as neither I nor she would want to interrupt! )

New Soul
Leaving the Throne Room quickly had seemed a good idea, with how awkward things had become in there when the First Marshal had yelled at the King. Gwai winced slightly as she thought of it, as she retraced hers steps back to the Dragon Room, absentmindedly murmuring a "thank you" to the wigend who opened the door.

Shivased had returned before she did, and Gwai wasn't surprised, since she had stayed for a few more minutes with the King, and Shiva had made a somewhat precipitous exit with Grimm. She was about to walk up toward the dais and ask how the First Marshal's ankle was faring, when she spied a familiar face standing off toward the side.

Gwai changed direction and headed toward the side of the room. "Westu Lailyn hal!" she said with a smile. "What brings you here?" she asked, somewhat rhetorically as Lail was holding a crate she assumed was honey from their letters not too long ago.
Meduseld Éored

Knight of The Mark
Studying the reports in her hands and deeming them correct, then setting them aside, Shivased picked up the other piece of parchment on the table and studied it. It was the fourth or fifth iteration of this particular item, the Cavalry patrol schedule. It was considerably shorter than previous evolutions, but she was satisfied with it. Waving her hand she handed it to Haru when the man came up and instructed him to post it on the small board on the wall by the marshal's chairs, then take the other copies and post them in the Barracks and Command Tent. With a nod Haru went and did as ordered. Once posted, it was plain to see who would be patrolling this month.

CAVALRY PATROLS

September - Dryhtguma Dicun and Aethelwigend Tord
Location - The Riddermarket
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Ent Ancient
Lailyn was just rethinking her plan when a familiar face greeted her. “Marshal Gwai,” she greeted her with a respectful nod and a smile. What a relief it hadn't been a stranger. She might like meeting new people but she wasn't feeling quite her usual self at the moment. “It’s good to see you. I’m just dropping off some honey for the hælends as promised.” She gestured with the crate a bit awkwardly.

At least Gwai was up to speed and Lail wouldn’t have to explain anything nor was she intimidated by her despite her insignia. “I’ve got a few more crates on a cart outside as well. If you let me know where to leave them, I’ll bring them on in. I wasn’t sure how much was needed, so I may have brought quite a lot but at least it has a nice, long shelf life.” And therefore, she hoped she wouldn't have to come back again anytime soon.

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa, seeking training

Her dark hair gathered in a neat braid, dressed in simple brown and grey garments that made her look like a poor peasant which she more or less was, Hadassa managed to get past the guards with some difficulty. It had been a couple, or a few years since she had been here last, and she looked much more grown-up, more serious and stronger than she was when she first had sought admission to Cavalry. And yet, doubt could be seen in her eyes.

Last time she had barely escaped the promise of being all but cut to pieces, and she was not sure whether anyone would remember her here, or whether she would have to make sure to survive first, and then explain that she was raised as true Rohir, though born as Dunlending and carrying the unmistakable appearance of one.

Hadassa
hesitated near the door, her brown eyes looking around the room, searching for anyone who would look familiar and would save her from all the trouble of trying to prove she was not an enemy, all before she could pose the question she had come with.

Thain of The Mark

Second Marshal Taethowen looked up from the papers left behind from the previous Second Marshal that she was still sorting through just as a new face walked through the Dragon Room doors. It was a young woman (Hadassa) with dark hair and brown eyes, and she seemed slightly flustered. The guards at the door behind her seeming to be a bit wary and irate, and Taeth's eyes narrowed, her mouth tightening into a thin line. She'd had her fill of people both in the Cavalry and out of it making assumptions about people based on their looks. Her lover had been Bema-damned injured because of a similar situation.

Taeth paused for a moment, realizing that she was still a bit on edge after the audience she'd had with Frost and King Éomer earlier, and took a deep breath.

A glance at First Marshal Shivased showed that she was busy with some paperwork of her own--probably figuring out the patrols after all the fiasco with fires and stabbings lately-- and Third Marshal Gwai was seeing to Lail's honey delivery, so Taeth put down her own tasks and stepped forward to deal with the situation.

"Dryhtgumas, is there a problem?" she addressed the guards at the door first with a stern tone.

They snapped to attention, and Taeth watched as they both glanced uneasily at the young woman who'd just entered. "She... she's got the look of Dunlend, ma'am," one of the stuttered.

Of all the Bema-damned nonsense... "And?" she snapped, rather shortly. "I don't have blond hair either. Will that be a problem?"

Taeth felt just a bit of satisfaction as both dryhtgumas paled.

"I suggest, from now on, that you refrain from assuming someone is a threat simply because of their physical features," the Second Marshal said. "It's not like a person can pick and choose their looks, or their parentage. You should look to their actions and words. Did this young woman--" Taeth gestured at her (Hadassa) "--threaten the Cavalry or the Mark through either of those things? Considering that you, however reluctantly, eventually allowed her entrance and didn't call for aid from one of us Marshals, I highly doubt so. Now, get back to your posts. Don't allow something like this to happen again."

"Yes, Second Marshal, ma'am," they both uttered, saluted, and returned to guarding the doors.

Taethowen turned to the woman at last. "I'm sorry you had difficulty with them," she apologized. "I would say that it won't happen again, but I fear I would make a liar of myself. I'm Second Marshal Taethowen. What brings you to the Dragon Room today?"

@Pele Alarion
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

Elven Enchanter

Éomund stood at the entrance to the Dragon Room, trying to steady himself before entering yet again. The past few hours had been such a whirlwind of emotions: swearing the oath, being called to the Throne Room, receiving the sword, letter, and insignia. The sword was still in his hands as he had yet to figure out how to attach the scabbard to his belt. He still needed to go and find Grimthain to check on him, but first he decided that he should return to the Dragon Room and let the First Marshal know he had received the insignia.

As he entered the room, he stopped for a moment as he noticed Marshal Gwai standing off to the side talking with a woman (Lailyn) who held a crate filled with something. He was still somewhat intimidated by the Marshal and it didn't help that he knew she had seen the whole incident in the Throne Room. While he wasn't exactly embarrassed by it, he did wish such an emotional event had been able to take place in a more private area. Perhaps one day he would have the courage to actually talk with her without wanting the ground to open up from underneath him.

The Second Marshal appeared to be busy with another woman (Hadassa) who had just entered the Dragon Room ahead of Éomund. She looked a bit different than the average Rohir, but looks weren't everything.

He approached the First Marshal (and hoped she was done with whatever paperwork she appeared to be doing) and saluted."Westu Marshal hal!" He waited a moment for her to acknowledge him, then with an unprecedented burst of courage, continued, "The King himself presented the insignia of Dryhtguma to me." He awkwardly shifted the sword back to his right hand. Once he was done here, he would go check the armory to see if he could figure out how to properly wear his sword.

OOC:
(Éomund is completely oblivious to the scene between Shivased and Éomer)
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

New Soul
Corlisswyn

Corlisswyn tightened the hug around the wrapped cloak as she eyed the door to the Dragon Room. Her mind was racing. When she woke up this morning, she thought she had settled on rejoining the Cavalry, but as she stood there, she doubted her courage and worth to the military organization. She had none of the bold confidence she had in her youth when she first committed to the Cavalry. Even now, she wasn't sure what might come out of her mouth when approached by someone. Worry and anxiety began to whisper to her to simply relinquish the cloak. Hope and loneliness balked back, pushing her back into the Cavalry folds, to find fellowship and honor in service once again.

A guard approached her, though before he had a chance to say anything, she blurted out in a moment of nervous excitement. "I'd like to speak to a Marshal, please."

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

The young woman cringed inwardly upon Taethowen's approach, half expecting that the Marshal would set about yelling at her right away, and yet instead the guards received some scolding. It warmed Hadassa's heart that the welcome was not as cold as it was the first time, and the apprehensive look on her face was exchanged for a faint smile.

"Westu Second Marshal Taethowen hal!" Hadassa greeted Taeth when the woman finally addressed her, and snapped to attention. However, she refrained from saluting, as she was by no means dressed as one of the Cavalry should have.

"I have come to seek training," she explained her reasons for being here. "I had started my training when I was barely seventeen and had been very close to completing it when I was forced to leave. My foster parents were elderly and needed assistance as my father fell ill. I had to go back to do what I could around the little farm to support them." A deep sigh escaped her, as she thought of the circumstances that had brought her here. "Within a couple years they were both gone... And the farm is not mine, so I would like to offer what I can to the Cavalry."

The young woman wondered whether her words did not give away her need to find somewhere to settle and earn some food at least as the only reason for coming. She had to admit that there were very practical reasons for her to return, though she did feel that she somehow had to repay Riddermark the chance to live that she had been given as a small abandoned babe. Thus, she quietly waited to see whether she would be accepted or perhaps sent off to do some other simple menial tasks to survive.

Thain of The Mark

Taeth was relieved when a faint smile appeared on the young woman's (Hadassa) face instead of the anxiety present just moments ago. The Second Marshal listened as she explained that she'd nearly completed Cavalry training before, but was called away by family matters.

"I'm sorry that you've suffered their loss," Taethowen answered gently. "But we would be more than happy to have you in our ranks. Have you maintained any of the skills that you learned previously in training? And what was your name?"

As she waited for Hadassa's reply, Taethowen caught sight of another woman (Corlisswyn) speaking with one of the door guards. She had a green cloak, Cavalry-issued cloak in hand, and Taeth hoped that yet another veteran was returning. They needed experienced members in their ranks again.

The guard pointed out the Marshals to the new woman, and Taethowen gave a smile as she (Corlisswyn) stepped inside the Dragon Room. A quick glance around showed that Marshal Shivased was attending to something with Éomund, and Marshal Gwai was still with Lailyn. "One of us will be with you shortly," Taethowen greeted the woman, and then turned her attention back to Hadassa.

@Pele Alarion @corlisswyn
Westmark Éored

New Soul
b

Corlisswyn surprised herself when she immediately recognized the insignia of the Marshal of the Westmark on the woman's shoulder as she approached and quickly greeted Corlisswyn, indicating someone would be with her shortly. The guard pointed out a small wooden bench nearby, and grateful for the idea, Corlisswyn smiled, albeit nervously, to the guard and took a seat.

The green cloak was sticking out from the ivory wrapping. Laying it down on her lap, Corlisswyn smoothed out a newly-formed wrinkle on the waxed woolen surface, tucking in the edge back into the fold. This had sat, protected, in a drawer in her bedroom, and so it was in immaculate shape. She had been so proud the day she first received her cloak; she didn't want to take it off even to sleep. Over time as she settled into married life with Gleddon, Corlisswyn would pull out the cloak and refold it lovingly. She didn't regret taking that leave from the Cavalry as long as she was with her husband. Now as a widow, she wasn't sure what putting this cloak back on would bring her. At least she could bring some aged wisdom to the Eored as well as a kind and hopeful heart.
Last edited by corlisswyn on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Soul
Corlisswyn

Corlisswyn surprised herself when she immediately recognized the insignia of the Marshal of the Westmark on the woman's shoulder as she approached and quickly greeted Corlisswyn, indicating someone would be with her shortly. The guard pointed out a small wooden bench nearby, and grateful for the idea, Corlisswyn smiled, albeit nervously, to the guard and took a seat.

The green cloak was sticking out from the ivory wrapping. Laying it down on her lap, Corlisswyn smoothed out a newly-formed wrinkle on the waxed woolen surface, tucking in the edge back into the fold. This had sat, protected, in a drawer in her bedroom, and so it was in immaculate shape. She had been so proud the day she first received her cloak; she didn't want to take it off even to sleep. Over time as she settled into married life with Gleddon, Corlisswyn would pull out the cloak and refold it lovingly. She didn't regret taking that leave from the Cavalry as long as she was with her husband. Now as a widow, she wasn't sure what putting this cloak back on would bring her. At least she could bring some aged wisdom to the Eored as well as a kind and hopeful heart.

Knight of The Mark
Shivased had gone back to her reports and schedules, and was in the process of working out a schedule for the next round of patrols when she heard the door open. Looking up briefly she saw that it was Lail bringing the honey that had been offered, and that Gwai was handling it. She gave a short sigh of relief as she was able to go back to her paperwork, glad to have two other marshals so she wasn't the one always dealing with everything. It meant she could catch up on her backlog of paperwork, finally, and get a handle on patrol and duty schedules.

She glanced up again when someone else entered and noticed a young woman (Hadassa)who looked rather out of place in the mark, but also familiar. Her eyes narrowed as she tried to figure out why the young woman was so familiar, then caught sight of the guards, who were watching her with far too much suspicion. She heaved a frustrated sigh and was about to correct them when Taeth beat her to it, giving the guards a good dressing-down and making clear the expectations. She was not proud of recent events or the way they had been handled, and was determined they would not happen again.

She was interrupted in her thoughts when Eomund came in and reported to her. Returning his salute she felt herself smile at his exuberance and clear pride as he told her the King had presented him with his insignia. A presentation that is well earned, Dryhtguma. she told him. I am proud to have you in the Eastmark, and look forward to serving with you. Noting that he was shifting his sword between his hands, she looked pointedly at it. I know that is your first sword. Do you need direction on how to wear it, or do you have someone who can instruct you? It is difficult at first to get used to having a great hunk of metal hanging from your hip.

Glancing up at yet another new arrival she was surprised to see Corlisswyn, someone she actually remembered the name of! Taeth was closer and still with the other woman, and Gwai was still with Lail, so the girl was instructed to wait and had taken a seat on a bench. One of them would get to her soon, she thought, delighted that they were so busy there were people actually waiting in line to speak to them. It felt good to be busy again.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Elven Enchanter
After returning the salute and congratulating him on the presentation of the insignia, Marshal Shivased eyed the sword that was in his hands. When she asked if he knew how to wear it, Éomund felt his cheeks grow red yet again. He didn't want to admit yet another shortcoming of his, but at the same time, he didn't want to continue wandering around Edoras holding a sword in his hands, especially since he now was wearing a Cavalry insignia. He had no clue what he was doing, but had no desire to let the rest of the world know that. Under normal circumstances he would simply ask Grimthain, but considering he didn't know where his uncle even was at the moment, that was out of the question.

With a quick shake of his head he said, "N-no ma'am … I mean, yes ma'am … I-I do need help." The bit of courage that he had had, had just decided to leave him and his speech was rushed. He looked down at feet, wondering what would happen next. He really needed to learn how to wear and use this weapon: to make a name for himself and to honour his father, his fathers.

New Soul
Gwai

Lailyn not only had brought the crate of honey, but had several more outdoors in a cart. “Thank you so much for doing this, Lail,” Gwai said gratefully. “I’m sure it will all go to good use.” She paused for a moment. “We probably should take it straight to the infirmary, but I’m not sure if they will have room. We could always stack the crates in my office temporarily if we need to,” she added. “But let’s track down one of the haelends, they will be able to tell us where they want it!” she said brightly.

Fortunately Ama was close by. “Let’s just ask Amadhrill where a good place would be,” Gwai suggested. “Ama!” she called, leading the way over toward the haelend. “Lailyn has kindly brought a shipment of honey for the haelends’ use! Do you know where you would like it?” she asked. An afterthought struck her, and she quickly performed introductions. “I’m not sure if you two are acquainted, but this is Ama, one of our skilled haelends,” she said to Lailyn, “And Ama, this is Lailyn, who has generously offered to donate honey for the cavalry’s use!”

There was a bustle at the Dragon Room doors, and more people were coming in, asking to speak with the marshals. “Lail, if you don’t mind, I’m going to leave you in Ama’s very capable hands! But please let me know if you need anything else!” she said with a smile before hurrying away. She said over her shoulder as she walked away, “Don’t forget to drop me a note when you’re ready for visitors for tea!”

She walked over toward the bench where a woman she did not recognize (Corlisswyn) had taken a seat, a familiar green cloak folded in her lap.

“Westu hal,” Gwai greeted the woman. “I’m Gwai Feorsteorra, the Third Marshal. I understand you wished to speak with one of the marshals?” she asked pleasantly.

@Lail @Amadhrill @corlisswyn
Meduseld Éored

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

"They were all I had..." Hadassa began, and then stopped abruptly. She had not come here to complain of her loss or demand pity, and only she herself could understand the depths of loss anyway, she figured. With a sigh she turned to the matters at hand.

"My name is Hadassa," she responded first, realising that she had completely forgotten to introduce herself to the Second Marshal. "I can handle horses and ride quite well, but I have not had any need to use weapons on the farm, so I am not sure I have retained that much skill and probably would have to relearn most of it," she admitted. At present Hadassa thought she could more easily handle a plough and harrow, or a scythe, rather than swords and spears.

After a moment of thinking she added: "I should not be lacking in strength though; I had to do all the heavy work around the farm, so that has helped in maintaining a good level of fitness." Or improve it - she added in her own mind. She was at her strongest this far, and her body looked rather muscular for a young woman her age.

Thain of The Mark

Taeth's heart ached for Hadassa when, seemingly without intention, the words "they were all I had..." escaped the young woman, and then she sighed and gave her name.

Taethowen listened as Hadassa explained her abilities and fitness level, and then she took a moment to think. Strength was definitely a plus, but not a substitute for skill, and being confident with horses skills was not uncommon, but still a good foundation.

"In that case, I think you'll need to do a full retraining," the Second Marshal, "but with a focus on weapons and arms. Please report to the training grounds in the Courtyard, and the Larmægister will meet you there."

Taeth glanced back at Corlisswyn, then, and was relieved to see that the Third Marshal was now attending her.

@Pele Alarion
Westmark Éored

New Soul
Corlisswyn

"Westu Third Marshal Gwai Hal! I recently sent notice to First Marshal Shivased indicating that I was returning to Edoras from a long leave of absence out in Buckden. I have just taken possession of my late uncle's house here in the city." Corlisswyn stood up to face the fair Marshal, glancing quickly at her long blonde locks and catching a glance at her shoulder insignia. She took a big breath and tightened her grip on the green cloak. "I'm not the soldier I once was, for age and grief have gripped me tightly me these past few years, but if you'll have me, I'd like to take this cloak up again in service of the King. I think this cloak may bring back the vigor and vitality I've been missing for too long."

Corlisswyn had to stop herself before she continued talking; she felt herself wanting to share everything with this person in front of her she did not know. She turned away from Third Marshal Gwai and and strained her eyes upward to prevent them from tearing. Her body forced a huge exhale as relief took over, now that she made the decision to rejoin and verbalized it. She closed her eyes and subtly shook her head to release the tension and looked the Marshal in the eyes. "Marshal Shivased indicated in our communications that I'd have to take a refresher training if I returned. I stand before you ready to join and retrain."

@Gwai

Ent Ancient
“Of course!” she assured Gwai before they approached Amadhrill. “I’m happy to help.” With the crate in hand, she shuffled over toward the haelend and smiled at her in greeting. Given how many soldiers there were to remember, she didn’t recognise her from Cavalry days, but she did look familiar from somewhere. While Gwai explained to Amadhrill then introduced them, she finally remembered; she thought she worked at the old Ældsel Inn.

Before the Marshal left them, Lail thanked her and replied, “I will!” She had not forgotten her invitation and was looking forward to talking to Gwai in a less formal place.

“Westu Amadhrill hal! I do believe I recognise you...did you used to work at the Ældsel Inn?” Like Gwai, this woman did not seem intimidating either, and Lailyn began to wonder what she’d been so afraid of coming here. “If you let me know where to leave the honey, I’ll bring it all in for you.”

(OOC: hope that’s ok to recognise her. I’m sure Lail went to the Ældsel Inn at some stage.)
@Amadhrill

New Soul
Third Marshal Gwai

Corlisslyn greeted her, mentioning how she had discussed with the First Marshal that she was returning from a long leave, and had just assumed residence of her lately deceased uncle’s house.

Gwai nodded empathetically and took a seat next to Corlisslyn on the bench, as she spoke of her past, and her desire to once again take up the cloak of a member of the Calvary of the Mark.

“I very much understand your sentiments,” Gwai told her earnestly. She could see what a strain it was on Corisslyn to even be having this conversation, understanding what an emotional conflict it could be to consider returning to an old life.

“I myself recently found myself in similar circumstances,” she told the woman. She knew the woman naught, and would avoid intimate details, but ventured to say, “I can assure you, an experienced sword is most welcome! Many of us have recently returned to the Cavalry after taking personal leave, and it will be a pleasure to have you with us!” she said in a low voice.

She considered Corlissyn’s comments for a moment before commenting, “If the First Marshal recommend training, I am indeed happy to officially welcome you as a qualified re-trainee, and send you that direction! A brief training, and then I will look forward to congratulating you when you choose your éored! At your convience, please report to the Cavalry Courtyard, and either the First or Second Marshal will begin your training!” Gwai said with a bright smile, glad there were more interested in dedicating themselves to the defense of the Mark. “Is there anything you require before then? Anything I can help you with?” she asked, understanding all too well how intimidating a return to life in the cavalry could be.

OOC—(At your convenience, post in the Cavalry Courtyard that you are reporting for training, and @Taethowen or @Shivased will meet you (with the Larm npc most likely) to start re-training! And don’t worry, it will be mostly fun!)
Meduseld Éored

Knight of The Mark
Shivased wasn't surprised that Eomund needed help buckling his sword on, and didn't think any less of him. She had seen plenty of newly minted Dryhts who were unsure of how to wear a weapon that was brand new to them. The sword could be an elegant weapon, but also awkward and cumbersome if you weren't used to it. Don't be embarassed. As I said already, a sword can be difficult to get used to. You've at least got an idea of how to use it. Now you just need to figure out wearing it.

Gong to where Eomund stood she took the sword out of his hands. I've never seen you with this sword before. Is it a new one? she asked, as she briskly looped the belt properly around the young man's waist and buckled it so it wouldn't slide off. Her movements were purposeful and detached, so as not to make him any more embarrassed than he was. Once the belt was buckled and the sword sat on his hip, she stepped back. There. You can adjust it as much as you want until you find the perfect position. It's up to you what you're comfortable with. As long as you can draw your sword with no difficulty, you're good.

Overhearing her title being said she noted that Gwai was with Corlisswyn and had said someone would meet her in the Courtyard to oversee her training. Good, she would look forward to having another returned member back in their ranks. Two, by the sounds of it if the snippets of conversations he was catching was anything to go by. Hadassa (she finally remembered the girl's name!) seemed to be there to return as well.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

Some contentment, and even a sense of belonging seemed to seep into the young woman's heart, as she saw that she was indeed welcome back. She saw the need to retrain as a good way to find her way back in, and she was only too aware that any skills she had learned had very much faded.

"I will report with no undue hesitation!" Hadassa informed Taethowen with no little amount of zeal and snapped off a salute. Now that she was to train again and could be considered a part of the Cavalry. "And thank you. For the welcome," she added more softly, yet just as heartily.

"With your permission..." she excused herself to go and get ready for training, and all but ran out of the Dragon Room.

Elven Enchanter
Éomund

He looked up when he heard the First Marshal told him that not knowing how to wear a sword wasn't a cause for embarrassment. That cheered him up a bit, though he was still a bit ashamed for not knowing how to wear it. As for her comment about knowing how to wield one, his knowledge was more or less limited to "stick them with the pointy end" which, while important, didn't allow for much overall success.

Instead of simply sending him to the armory, which was what he had expected, Marshal Shivased came towards him, which must have been very difficult considering the state of her injury. As she took the sword from him and looped the belt around his waist she asked if it was a new sword. Éomund gave a quick shake of his head. "It was my dad's," he explained in a quiet voice. His mind was racing as he tried to figure out how to explain how he had come by the sword without revealing Grimthain's relationship to him. "My uncle gave it to me," he finally managed to say, just as the Marshal finished tightening the buckle. It wasn't the entire truth, but it was enough for now. The sword felt extremely heavy all of a sudden and Éomund reached down to try and steady it.

"Th-thank you," he said, slightly reassured by the fact that it would take him a little while to get used to wearing it. He saluted the First Marshal and turned to leave the Dragon Room for the second time that day. It had suddenly gotten very busy and he wondered if that meant there were more people seeking to join the Cavalry.

New Soul
Corlisswyn

Relief washed over Corlisswyn when Third Marshal Gwai officially welcomed her back as a re-trainee. She didn't doubt she would be welcomed back, but making it official was a big step, and one that was now taken and could not easily be undone. "Thank you, Third Mashal. I will head straight to the courtyard to report in." Corlisswyn turned to exit, only to turn back as she slowly recognized that the Marshal asked her another question. She went to speak, but then decided that the Third Marshal had much better things to worry about than Corlisswyn's needs. The Larmægister at the Courtyard would be a much more appropriate person to ask. Corlisswyn wasn't even sure what she needed, though as she walked out of the Dragon Room, she realized she would likely need a horse.

Esquire of The Mark
The Dragon Room was busy, and Amadhrill took a moment to enjoy the hustle and bustle of the room. The first marshal's returned, seeming a little flushed from her meeting with the king. The hælend thought better of it than to question her superior over what had happened, in due time some rumours would eventually trickle down to it. And she knew that the quarter master had been replaced by Eldrith, so she had her theories.

She went up to study the list of patrols posted by Haru, noting that her name was not on it, so she could focus on her other duties. The doors opened, and she glanced with friendly eyes at the two women (Hadessa and Lailyn), noting that neither were in cavalry uniforms. The last had a harder time entering the Dragon Room, she could see why the wigends in the door gave her a hard time. She looked like a dunlending dressed as a poor Rohirric peasant. The Second Marshal came to the dark haired woman's rescue, so to speak.

Soon after Eomund came in and saluted for Shivased, bursting with pride and she could see why with the new insignia fastened. She smiled broadly towards him, happy that the mishaps they had come through had paid off for him. A little laugh threatened to escape her lips when the First Marshal commented on his sword, the last time she had seen him with a sword in his hands it had resulted in a cut.

The room was busy today, Ama noted to herself and made to leave when her name was called. She saluted to Gwai and bowed at Lailyn, as the marshal spoke her face turned into a wide grin. «Wonderful!» she exclaimed, the infirmary's suplies of many things had been low lately, and honey was a valuable commodity.

«Westu Lailyn hal! And thank you for your generous offer!» She felt her fingers itch from wanting to open the crate and look at the quality of the honey. When the Ældsel inn was mentioned, the hælend smiled brightly. «Yes, I was Eldrith's assistant there, I hope you have fond memories from there!»

The conversation returned to the honey. «How much honey have you brought with you? Depending on how much I believe the store rooms of the infirmary will have plenty of room. Your gift really could not come at a better time!»

@Lail Of course, I am sure they probably crossed paths there, and it is just natural that Ama should be recognized for her part in the Ældsel inn.
Hælend of Meduseld

Ent Ancient
Lailyn could not refrain from smiling at Amadhrill's happiness about the honey. "I thought it was the least I could do to help you hælends and the rest of the Cavalry," she told her. At least without re-enlisting and that probably wouldn't help anyone.

"Oh, I have only the most wonderful memories from the Ældsel!" she exclaimed. "When I came back to Edoras, I did try to visit but it seems like it's longer be there," she said with a touch of disappointment. Lail had been hoping to stop by the Inn but she also had a business interest to pursue there. "But its been years, I shouldn't expect things to be the same as they were."

When asked how much honey she brought, Lail replied, "I've got three more of these crates outside in a cart I can give to you for now. Do you think there is enough space for them?" she asked Amadhrill. She paused to brace herself a bit before disclosing her status as a resigned wigend. "I was in the Westmark eored once so I do know where the Infirmary is. I never had reason to go in the store-rooms though and I'm not sure where they are. If you show me the way, I'm happy to bring them in myself. Otherwise, I will bring them here."

Ent Ancient
(OOC: forgot to tag sorry - @Amadhrill )

Balrog
Rhissish, the Tarantula

The wild events of the past few days had driven Rhissish from her lair, a deep and cozy hole in the earth she had fashioned herself and hidden with great skill and alacrity. It was gone now though, destroyed as fire and woe had been visited upon the city. Rhissish counted herself lucky that she had escaped before the smoke and rendered her incapacitated. The many hairs on her legs and warned her of danger, sensing the smoke and extreme heat, long before the fires actually became roaring infernos.

She was exposed now though. She had been forced to wander like some subadult who had not yet grown to full maturity. It galled her to be humiliated like this. The great humans were all a-scurry now, moving to and fro like maddened ants when their nest is destroyed. She had to be careful now. Without a lair she could easily be crushed by a wandering miscreant unaware and ambivalent of the many layers of life beneath them.

She moved up the large stone steps, her large hairy legs moving her bulk in a great display of strength. She remained hidden, her back the same ashen and speckled grey as the stone about her. Slowly she made her way through the entrance to the busy, silently traipsing along the corners, moving the shadow of a cloud for all the sound and commotion she caused. She found a grasshopper, playing their mating call and pounced on him before he had a chance to hope away. She secreted her digestive juices on the creature as the last bits of life ebbed from the husk. The body of the grasshopper was crushed and Rhissish used her chelicerae to push the corpse down into her stomach.

Thusly satisfied, the tarantula moved along the wall with great purpose. She needed to get out of here, out from the exposed open air as soon as she could. There would be cracks and crevices in this building that she could hide it and stay until the time was more opportune to begin the creation of her new lair. She was nearly there now; her five eyes spied a long crack in the wall maybe a few feet up from ground. It would be risky, but Rhissish was willing to take it.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Knight of The Mark
Shivased nodded to Eomund's thanks and returned his salute, then hobbled back to her seat and settled back as the young man headed out of the Dragon Room. He seemed unsettled, and the sword was a new one, that she hadn't seen him with until just now. She wondered what else had gone on in the Dragon Room, if anything? It was odd that the king himself wanted to present the lad with his insignia, so something else must have happened. She would have to question him about it another time, or ask the king next time she had an audience with him....if she ever had an audience with him. She was thinking that any future audiences and meetings about the Cavalry could easily be done in writing.

She shook the thoughts about any future audiences out of her head and reached for her tea. It had gone cold, but it was the one that Thali had brought her, and she found she liked it both hot and cold. Taking a sip she scanned the room, noting that her fellow marshals were done with the new recruits, who had both left, and that Ama was looking over the honey delivery Lail had brought. Other than a few dryhts and wigends wandering around seeing to their duties or checking the roster and patrol schedule, things had once again quieted down.

As her eyes moved along the wall and near the door, checking who was on the patrol schedule something caught her eye. Doing a double take she immediately choked on her tea as she tried to let out an alarmed yell at the same time as she was taking a sip. There was a great, ugly, hairy spider, crawling along the floor next to the wall. And it was HUGE. In her mind, nearing the size of the fabled Shelob huge. And she wanted nothing to do with it. Wargs, orcs, wolves, badgers - she could face it all. But spiders she could not. Sure, little long-legged ones that hung around in the stables were fine. But big ones, not a chance. and this one was BIG.

In the span of a heartbeat Shivased went from lounging in her seat with her foot on the stool to standing on the chair, sword drawn. Her tankard she hurtled across the room, nearly hitting a few Cavalry members, in her sudden panic, as if it would somehow get rid of the offending creature. All the colour had drained from her face and her eyes were wide. SPIDER! IN BEMA'S NAME, KILL IT! she screeched, pointing her sword in it's direction. SOMEONE KILL IT! DON'T JUST STARE, GET THE DAMNED THING BEFORE IT DISAPPEARS!
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Thain of The Mark
Moments after Hadassa exited the Dragon Room, Taeth was startled by a screech and the sound of a tankard bouncing across the floor. "SPIDER!" she heard the First Marshal begin to shriek. "IN BEMA'S NAME, KILL IT! SOMEONE KILL IT! DON'T JUST STARE, GET THE DAMNED THING BEFORE IT DISAPPEARS!"

Taeth's eyebrows fairly leapt off her forehead as she turned to see where Shivased was pointing. It took her a moment to find it in the shadows, but then she saw it and while it was, admittedly, a large spider, it wasn't a dangerous one.

"At ease, soldiers," Taeth snapped before any of them actually made good on obeying the the First Marshal's panicked orders. She hated killing things senselessly, and while she understood that people might have irrational fears they couldn't shake, there was no need to smash something that could simply be relocated.

With a huff, the Second Marshal walked over to the wall, moving slowly as she approached so as not to spook the tarantula. She knelt down near it, and gently placed her left hand down on the ground in front of the spider, using her right hand slowly move behind it and coax it into her palm.

"Come now, little one," she crooned, waiting to see if it would oblige. "We can find a better nest for you than in here."
Westmark Éored

Balrog
Rhissish, the Tarantula

No sooner had she began her journey then a high-pitched screech like that of the bean sídhe interrupted her private thoughts. Two eyes swung around in the direction the sound had come from, her legs hairs bristling in anticipation of a battle. The humans had noted her presence. Not only that but the screamer thought it necessary to bring out her stinger and flail it about uselessly at the opposite end of the room, a very specific maneuver likely designed by nature to signal distress on the female’s part and send the males to deal with the threat. Rhissish had no idea what the creature was saying in her howls of terror and rage, but the sounds were nevertheless effective. The large, speckled grey tarantula quickly scurried against the wall, eliminating the area as a zone that she could be attacked from. She raised herself, thrusting four of her eight legs in the air and pulling back her chelicerae to reveal her shining black fangs. This was a posture most excellently employed against creatures her own size, but she was not sure of the efficacy it would have in the current situations, with massive predators who seemed so staunchly determined to either eat her or merely destroy her. Rhissish thought all hope was lost when out from the seething mass of humans came another female, this one was not waving about her stinger in a drunkenly verbose way. She exuded no pheromones of distress or aggression. She was, to put it mildly, very strange. A rival female? Rhissish skittered to the side, keeping all her eyes on this one. The screaming human female did not do a good job of clearing out her rivals, the tarantula thought. She herself had dueled and defeated many that had tried to encroach on her territory and she had her pick of the males (whom she obviously devoured once their usefulness was spent). Humans were a strange species indeed. This female defied the screaming cry of the dominant one continued her approach. More confused than ever, Rhissish raised her legs higher, appearing as threatening and uninviting as she could. Her pedipalps were twittering madly, tasting the air for some sign of why this human was behaving in such a way. They stopped a few feet from her put an appendage down on the ground in a pseudo inviting manner. Rhissish was not falling for it. She dashed forward, hoping to throw her assailant off balance. Then, with a mighty shake, throw off many of her articulated hairs, her most effective weapon against these massive predators. In the confusion, Rhissish skittered to the wall again and pushed her soft, hairy body through a crack, not the one she had originally deemed worthy of habitation, but any crack in the storm. She pushed through stone and wood and thatch until the screaming sounds no longer sent vibrations through her hairs. Whatever this nest was, the females were too unpredictable and too erratic for Rhissish to feel at ease enough to build her lair.

Thain of The Mark
Taeth laughed softly as the tarantula postured and skittered around, doing its threatening posturing that held no sway on her. When the spider dashed forward, Taeth pulled her hands back, knowing that it was too alarmed and frightened to accept her help. Just in time, too, she realized, seeing the puff of loose hairs that suddenly surrounded the tarantula. She wasn't sure she'd avoided them all, but hopefully enough to not have more than a little bit of an itchy hand for a day or so.

The tarantula scrambled then, skittering up the wall into the first crack it found, and Taeth winced as she glanced back over her shoulder at the still hysterical First Marshal, and realized that to get her to calm down she was going to have to make Shiva think that the spider was gone.

As soon as the tarantula squeezed itself out of sight, Taeth leaned back over, pretended to scoop something into her hands, and cupped them together. "Just don't come out until after nightfall," Taeth whispered, though the spider had no way to understand her, then stood.

"I've got it, First Marshal!" Taeth hollered as she headed toward the doors. She could use a break anyway. All the letters on the documents she'd been reviewing had been starting to turn into one massive inkblot when she stared at them.

She sighed as she stepped out the doors into the sunlight, careful to keep her hands cupped together until she was well out of sight of the Dragon Room, pretending to release the spider in a cool, shadowed spot along the courtyard's outer wall.

OOC Note: Taeth'll be back in the Dragon Room, IC, after there is a significant time-skip here. I need a break from multiple timelines for a bit. :googly:
Westmark Éored

Knight of The Mark
She wasn't sure what was going on, except that her ankle and leg were starting to ache, but she wasn't impressed that nobody had moved to deal with the spider. Well, except Taeth, who seemed to be being nice to it, of all things! DON'T CATCH IT, KILL IT!! she shrieked, internally cringing at the high-pitched sound of her own voice. Intellectually she knew the spider couldn't hurt her and was probably terrified of her screaming, but the fun thing was, her courage didn't know that. Some primal instinct seemed to take over and turn her into a shrieking banshee any time larger spiders were spotted.

She continued pointing her sword and watched Taeth, hating the sight of the spider but unable to look away from it. A few wigends moved hesitantly to do as she ordered but stopped, conflicted by their First Marshal's odd behaviour and their Second Marshal's order to stand down. Some Cavalry you all are! Since when do we disobey orders!? The wigends moved forward again and, again, stopped, still too uncertain.

Taeth then announced she had got it and hurried outside. JUST KILL THE STUPID THING! she yelled after the Second Marshal, finally able to lower her sword when a thorough scan didn't reveal the spider still along the wall. I hate spiders, she said to herself. It took a few more minutes of standing on the chair like a lunatic before her body allowed itself to relax and she was able to ease down to sitting again and rest her leg on the foot stool with a groan. People were still staring at her, so she scowled at them. Yes, your first marshal is terrified of spiders! Get over yourselves and back to your duties!
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Esquire of The Mark
"Its not the Ældsel, but there is a pub, of sorts at least. It has some ale and wine, tea if you prefer and food. But most importantly, Getale and Cnith are there and, Eldrith and I as often as we can. You are most welcome to visit there if you look for a pub!" Ama smiled a little, not wanting to press the matter while wearing the King's colors, so to speak. The pub was their private matter, not that the marshals didn't know of it, but she thought it inapropriate to talk much of it while wearing the insignia.

She was just about to return the attention to the matter at hand when a high pitched shriek made her reach for her sword and turn swiftly to glance at the First marshal. She was no longer seated, but standing on her seat, sword brandished and spewing out orders to kill a spider. Kill a spider! Ama looked in the direction Shiva stared and Taeth walked while ordering the confused soldier to stand down while their first marshal ordered them to kill.

Her view was blocked by many legs, so she shook her head in disbelief. "I hope the spider was bigger then normal..." she commented drily, if the enemies of Rohan knew that all it took to spook the First Marshal herself was a spider the cavalry was sure to be the laughing stock of the Middle Earth. She would have a word with the Bealdorhælend about it, perhaps they should make a plan to try and cure the First Marshal of her fear. "I am sorry, where were we..."

She looked at the jar of honey in Lailyn's hand and her smile returned. "Honey! I will be grateful for your help with it, we have quite the store room that can house a lot, so unless you have many cart loads I think it will fit. It is behind the infirmary. Let me just see if the First Marshal needs something to... calm her nerves..."

Ama walked swiftly over to the First Marshal, looking her into the eyes, but keeping her voice light and casual, she did not want to disgrace the marshal in any way. "May I take my leave and see to the honey brought by Lailyn? Unless you need me for anything? Want a fresh cup of tea, yours must be cold by now?"

@Lail @Shivased @Taethowen
Hælend of Meduseld

Ent Ancient
Lailyn, civilian honey-deliverer

“Oh!” Lailyn exclaimed with a smile. “I had no idea. I will have to stop by sometime, it sounds lovely.” She was about to ask where she might find this place when a scream about a spider startled her and she nearly dropped her grip on the crate of honey. She glanced over to see Shivased standing on a chair, sword in hand. Uncertain how much good that would do against a spider, Lail did her best to hold back a smile. It wasn’t for her to judge other people’s irrational fears.

“Well we are all afraid of something…” she said generously to Ama with a wry smile.

There was a flurry of shouting and yelling of orders that echoed through the hall. Ever level-headed, Taethowen rescued both Shivased and the spider before leaving herself in blatant disregard of the First Marshal’s orders to kill the creature.

Wait - that was the First Marshal? Lail’s eyes widened and she had to force herself to school her expression. It would not do to offend the First Marshal herself. Especially given her performance just now.

“It sounds like there will be plenty of room for it then,” she assured Ama before the woman turned her attention to the First Marshal. Lailyn waited patiently off to the side rather hoping to escape Shivased’s notice and get on to the Cavalry Infirmary with the haelend as soon as possible.

@Amadhrill @Shivased

Knight of The Mark
Shivased continued to glare at people until they stopped sneaking looks at her and did their best to go about their duties as if their leader hadn't just turned into a shrieking banshee. She sank down in the chair and groaned, covering her face with one hand. Of course, on the same day she'd embarassed herself by yelling at the king, she'd also slip up and expose her biggest fear. The one thing that turned her into a lunatic and stole all her reason and common sense. She'd spent years hiding that and now they all knew.

Someone approaching made her groan again, this time quietly so nobody heard it. She did not want to deal with people asking questions right now. She dropped her hand and saw it was Ama. Of course she'd draw the attention of a haelend. She had just behaved like a lunatic, after all. Ama was probably concerned she'd lost it and need to be removed from command. Or perhaps worried her badger scratches were infected and her brain was frying from some disease the creatures gave her.

Stopping that train of thought because it was starting to get her annoyed and she didn't want to snap at the well-meaning haelend, she shook her head at the question asked, glad it wasn't about her fear. I'm fine. I have tea that is still hot and aside from looking like an idiot, I require nothing. Just the silence from everyone in the room about my outburst. Last thing I need is the whole of Edoras knowing the leader of the Cavalry is irrationally afraid of spiders.

She snapped her mouth shut, realizing she was starting to rant, and shook her head again. No, Ama, I do not require you for anything. See to the honey, and thank Lailyn for it again. It will be most useful. She could see the woman standing off to the side, but Lailyn looked like she wanted to leave, so she would leave the thank-you's to the Haelends.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Esquire of The Mark
Amadhrill nodded to Shivased "Very well, marshal! I shall be sure to give her thanks from the cavalry." She saluted her first marshal respectfully and turned towards Lailyn.

"The first marshal asked me to convey the cavalry's thanks for your very generous gift! Now, let's go to the infirmary's store house to unload some honey." She smiled brightly, led the way towards the heavy doors and held them open for Lailyn.
Hælend of Meduseld

Knight of The Mark
The Dragon Room had quieted down, the spider now gone and most Cavalry members going about their business elsewhere. Taking the opportunity to get some work done Shivased turned to her pile of paperwork. On the top was the patrol schedule, and she sighed. It was that time again. She hated arranging patrols and duty rosters, but she really had no choice. It had to be done. Picking up the parchment she studied it, glancing occasionally at the roster. Picking up a quill too and dipping it in ink, she made some notes, then shook her head and scratched it out and wrote something else. That too got scratched out and replaced. She continued to make arrangements, picking up other parchments with duty rosters for various patrols across the Mark, using those to determine the patrol schedule for Edoras. Much scratching of the quill and muttering to herself, and she finally set things down with a nod. That would work. She waved a wigend over and handed them the parchment. Post that on the board and remove last month's. she told him, watching as he did what he was told.

December Duty Roster - Riddermarket patrol
First Marshal Shivased
Dryhtguma Eomund

Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

High Warden of Tower
Trainee Hadassa

Sent on by Larmaegister, Hadassa made her way towards the Dragon Room, this time more confident than than when she had visited this place on any of the previous two times. Yet, her heart was beating so fast that she thought it might just jump out of her mouth.

At least the guards at the door no longer hindered her, though they still looked somewhat suspicious, and all she earned from them with her bright smile was a frown. No matter...

When she stepped inside, she found the room to be rather quiet, and it suddenly made Hadassa feel rather self-conscious, as if she were on a stage, even though she had just entered and maybe no one noticed her yet. Quietly she took a step to her left in an attempt to take a few deep breaths and slow down that racing heartbeat.

Knight of The Mark
Having seen to the new patrol schedule being posted, Shivased was taking advantage of the quiet of the Dragon Room to relax a bit. Slouched in her chair with her sore foot and leg resting on the stool still, and a cup of tea cradled in her hands but resting on her chest (almost as if her chest were a convenient table!), she was inhaling the pleasant aroma of the tea as she browsed the most recent reports from her Feldmarshal at Aldburg. She probably looked very un-marshal like, but wasn't too bothered about it. The Cavalry had already seen her yell at the king, be carried on the back of an Aethelwigend, and scream like a lunatic at a spider. Seeing her comfortable and relaxed wasn't going to kill them.

She heard the door open and close, and looked up from her reading to see Hadassa near the door, looking as terrified as she usually did when in the Dragon Room. Westu Hadassa hal she called, setting her tea and parchment aside and sitting upright, though her foot remained on the stool.What brings you to the Dragon Room? Is your re-training going well? She had received the Laermagister's message and knew why the trainee was here, but would give her the chance to answer.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

High Warden of Tower
Trainee Hadassa

Apparently Hadassa had been noticed, no matter how quiet she was trying to be, but then again, it had do happen either way. At the greeting, she straightened up and took a few steps forward.

"Westu First Marshal Shivased hal!" she responded, making sure her voice sounded as confident as she could make it, and then offered a quick salute. She had been practicing this particular movement for quite a few times to make it efficient and near perfect.

"The training has been very good," the young woman then responded and added honestly, "Though there is still so much that I have to learn. I'd still wish to remain as a trainee to master more skills, but Laermagister thought that it would not be best and sent me here instead."

Hadassa tried to keep her face somewhat inexpressive, yet eagerness and pride was quite obvious in her intense gaze and the posture that no longer showed discomfort and fear, as she stood tall, her shoulders squared and her chin slightly lifted.

Knight of The Mark
Shivased climbed to her feet and returned Hadassa's salute, her sore foot dangling off the ground a bit. She was pleased to hear that the training was very good, as she had been somewhat hesitant to hand over the training of new recruits to Eideard. He was a good, capable and long-serving soldier; one that, like many, would think his life was over if forced to retire from the Cavalry. Giving him the post of Laermagister had been a way to keep him and ensure his expertise and experience was passed on, and it had been the right choice from what she had been hearing from the trainees so far.

I trust Eideard's judgement, so if he says you are ready, then you are. If I know him, he's also offered to continue training with you, she said with a grin. You may also approach any of the marshals, Feldmarshals or your fellow Cavalry if you wish. We're happy to work with you on your skills, or even just spar. None of us ever really finishes training or practicing.

She realized she was beginning to ramble, so closed her mouth. That was a bad habit. I assume you are here to choose your eored. She glanced at the roster, realizing it badly needed updating. That would have to be her next task. While you are welcome to choose whatever eored you want, we are recommending the Westmark currently for entry. That said, she sat back in her chair and waited, content to give Hadassa some time to think over her choice.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

High Warden of Tower
Trainee Hadassa

"Ah, I would not mind making use of as many training possibilities as available," Hadassa returned with a fair amount of determination in her voice. From how she had been treated by various people due to her origin, she automatically assumed that she would have to work harder than other Rohirrim to achieve the same recognition, and so she was committed to reach near perfection in anything she set about to do. Besides, it was rather likely that people would not mind training with her, when they got to know her more.

Her posture relaxing only a little bit, so she did not look as rigid, the young warrior-to-be considered the offered eored option.

"I would gladly choose Westmark," she said after a brief moment of thought. "More likely than not I would have chosen it either way... for one reason or another." A small smile played on her lips, but she did not explain her reasoning any further than that.

Knight of The Mark
Shivased could tell there was more to Hadassa's comment of wanting to take as many training possibilities as possible. She remembered the first time the young woman had been in training in Rohan, as well as how suspicious the Rohir could be about outsiders - or those who looked like outsiders - and could figure out that she usually had to work harder than others to get anywhere. It was an unfortunate reality, but she was determined that would not happen if she had any say in it.

She was interrupted by a messenger handing her a missive and took her attention away from Hadassa for a moment as she unsealed it and began to read. A frown formed on her face and she sighed, then rolled the parchment up and set it aside. That news was unfortunate, especially in light of recent events, but was what it was. She would deal with it later. She gave some quiet instructions to the messenger who hurried away, then turned back to the trainee in front of her.

Picking a Westmark badge out of her supply she stood and approached the woman. The Westmark it shall be then. She pinned the red badge on Hadassa's chest and took a step back, then fisted her hand to her chest in a salute. Westu Hadasaa hal. Dryhtguma of the Westmark!

Badge link for Signature: https://i.imgur.com/4bhFVb1m.jpg
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!