Command Tent II - Cavalry OOC Thread

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
New Soul
Great feedback so far!! @Thalionwen Hunigfolm thanks for doing CoC: The Condensed! Much appreciated! :smooch:

Cav, any other comments/suggestions/changes? Bring the input!! :hobbyhorse:
Third Marshal of the Mark
Meduseld Éored

Balrog
The only thing that I’m not 100% on is the use of the sig (I love my Zeal & Ardor quotes but none of you newbs get them :P) but that’s something I can easily get over my once I start down by it.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Thain of The Mark
Ok, I’m going to go out on a limb here and be absolutely honest, and hope no-one hates me for it. I admit I read only the first half of the document Taeth posted last night, but hopefully I got a good read on it.

I personally feel uncomfortable by how far-reaching and detailed the Marshal’s draft Code of Conduct is.

I don’t want to seem critical when you have all put so much effort in, but I think it is a) too long, b) too detailed and c) too specific. As someone who enjoys the liberty to be creative in my role-play and exploring original solutions to scenarios, it feels a little stifling.

I appreciate what we are trying to achieve with the document and the motivation is noble, but I think we could reach that destination together with less specifics or definitive rules.

Perhaps some rules have been written as hard and fast requirements when they might work just as well as general guidelines? Could we explain the kind of contributions we want to see using words like ‘inclusive’ and ‘respectful’ without trying to define exactly how one posts or roleplays in such a manner, or list all the ways one might *not* fit with those ideas? The drafted document seems overly focussed on the negative and adding limitations, and not as encouraging of the positive as I would have liked.
First example, I really don’t see why it is necessary for players to post in the Command Tent when two cavalry characters engage in a romantic relationship; I don’t think you meant to mean you need Marshal permission before engaging in a roleplay relationship between two PCs who just happen to be in the cavalry? Because that’s what it implies.

In this example, if there is no automatic detrimental impact on a character’s ability to contribute to the cavalry then I don’t see that it is any of the Marshal’s concern; for most people their relationships will not impact their cavalry roleplay except to add flavour (eg Malorn and Ele). If it does risk impacting on their ability to serve (in exactly the way Allacan and Branomir’s relationship did in Southern Storm and Northern Wind) then a Marshal could step in IC or OOC to manage that, or another commander/player. I don’t think we need to spell out the ways they could do so, because it *should* be dependent on each unique circumstance as scenario.

The same could also be said for the list of what constitutes misdemeanours or misconduct issues and the suggestions for disciplinary actions/punishments; these don’t need to be so specific.

Something like this could be covered by a more generic term that “cavalry soldiers are part of a military organisation and are expected to behave in a manner fitting for a soldier working in such an organisation. Any conduct not befitting a soldier may be subject to disciplinary action IC (proportional to the misdemeanour and only where appropriate) or may be engaged OOC if it is having detrimental impact on the gameplay of others or the intended purpose of the thread. In extreme circumstances consideration may be five to demotion, suspension or expulsion but only as a last resort.”
Second example: Regarding harassment

It should be sufficient to include a definition of what harassment is and state that it will not be tolerated in cavalry threads. I don’t think multiple examples are necessary and trying to list every possible scenario can be counter-productive (‘but my behaviour wasn’t on the list!’). On every occasion where harassment is alleged or reported the situation absolutely needs to be dealt with appropriate to the individual circumstances. We could even refer to the plaza’s own statement and only include additional comments not yet covered by that, if appropriate.

Remember; harassment is defined by the recipient, not the sender. Nearly anything *could* be interpreted as harassment, depending how comfortable the recipient is. I don’t know how someone could inform the Marshals ahead of time about something that *might* be *interpreted* as harassment, especially if they don’t intend to harass someone but do so accidentally only when a story to unfolds. As a lawyer I don’t see that this clause could ever be reasonable enforced or how this could ever really work in practice, especially within creative roleplay.

Furthermore, while I appreciate you are trying to protect cavalry players, I don’t feel comfortable having to seek Marshal approval for any storyline between two characters who just happen to be in the cavalry, or for them to have the power to police consent where something *might* be perceived as harassment, even if the parties involved do not feel it is. I don’t think that is what you intended by that section(?) but that is currently what it means as written.

In summary, harassment and bullying are not permitted on the plaza and I’m fairly certain this is already protected by general plaza rules. In the event an RP interaction makes someone uncomfortable, there should always be various choices open to a person about how they choose to deal with this; I’m extremely uncomfortable with any suggestion that could be interpreted as is trying to prescribe how players how they should approach incidents of harassment when it may not be suitable in every situation.
In conclusion
My recommendation would be, rather than focusing on the specific behaviours you want to avoid, are there any general attitudes or positive behaviours you want to encourage?

I personally like what Thali has condensed it down to, and if that seems too broad and open, maybe we could think about what her summary is *missing* that we want to add back in?

Because with all the love in the world, if the lengthier be version of the code of conduct was presented to me either as a newly returned player or today stating I had to agree it to stay in the cavalry, I wouldn’t sign it and would feel like I would have to find a way to step away from the cavalry.

I’d be much more comfortable agreeing to something short, concise and general like @Thalionwen Hunigfolm has kindly presented for our consideration.

Elven Enchanter
Ok, I know I mentioned that I would plan to edit my previous post to include my thoughts after getting some sleep, but in the spirit of not extensively editing things (and in order to respond to better to other individual's thoughts) it's probably best to simply make a new post. Not to mention the fact that this ended up being on the long side. :grin:

I appreciate how you hard you all worked on this document and that you clearly are trying to cover all your bases to ensure that the Cavalry is a fun and safe place for everyone. But as multiple people have already said, sometimes there is such a thing as too much. While I don't mind a 12 page document, (and I know how long these handbooks can get as I'm in the midst of writing one myself for my Real Life job) I know I would find it overwhelming if it was something I would need to read/agree to prior to joining the Cavalry. The CoC should be there to help people have fun and give them some guidance on how best to do that, but it should not be a hindrance. As it stands in its current gigantic form, it could easily be seen as a hindrance. Simply put, I think there are too many specifics.

When you're trying to list a few specifics (and it is nice to have some examples) perhaps the phrase "including, but not limited to …" and fill in with say, no more than three examples. In the case of the rather gigantic list of IC behaviours, perhaps saying something along the lines of
appropriate behaviour includes, but is not limited to adhering to uniform and grooming standards, refraining from drinking strong alcohol, and performing the required duties of your rank.
The specific uniform and grooming standards and rank duties would of course, be outlined in the appropriate handbook.

In regards to an IC romantic relationship developing between two Cavalry members, it only makes sense for the Marshals to be informed if it can have a detrimental effect on a wider RP basis. If it's two people of equal rank, I don't really see it being a problem. Same if different ranks in different Eoreds. I do see it potentially becoming an issue if you're in the some Eored and of different ranks. I'd rather informing the Marshals about such a relationship being seen as "you are advised or encouraged to" rather than "you are required to" which is how the CoC currently seems to read.

The way I see it, it would be much more helpful to have a short document like Thali's be the one that everyone needs to agree and sign, with and emphasis that Marshals are available to be contacted about additional questions or clarifications as they are needed. While I agree with that you have laid out in general, I think some parts could be worded a bit more generally and gentler.
Harassment and inappropriate conduct issues within the Cavalry ranks will be dealt
with in this way.
a. Violations of Plaza Rules and/or the DEI are grounds for immediate
dismissal from the Cavalry, without warning.
i. The infractions will also be reported to the Plaza admin team.
ii. The dismissal applies to both the primary and secondary Cavalry
members belonging to the Plaza member.
iii. The Plaza member is barred from re-entering the Cavalry again
with any other character.
I assume that by "violating Plaza rules" you mean deliberately. It's one thing if it's a genuine mistake, and the offending party apologises and strives to do better in the future and another thing if someone deliberately acts out with the intention of harassing an individual or group of people. I believe that dismissal from the Cavalry should only be used as a last resort, and only if the behaviour continues after a temporary suspension of IC duties and an OOC conversation.

I do believe that the disclosure statement about Marshal planning behind the scenes should be left in. While it is obvious you guys are doing it, having it written down in print is simply helpful information to have.

All that to say, thank you for putting this document together and requesting feedback on it. I look forward to seeing what it ends up being. And while I think I could sign the 12 page document as it stands, I would be far more comfortable signing the condensed version (and honestly would probably adhere to the requirements as they are currently listed in the 12 pager) but the short version seems less stifling and allows for a bit more wiggle room in regards to IC specifics, while still having the required strict standards.

Thain of The Mark
Two super brief things I thought of today:-

c. A Cavalry member cannot have a Primary Character and a Secondary Character in identical Cavalry ranks simultaneously (ie, two haelends, two Marshals, etc.) except for the rank of sperewigend or dryhtguma

Also, please don’t stop Allacan from drinking her Marshal’s Malt and getting drunk! Definitely not on duty, but when off duty; we’re Rohir; we’re drinkers!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJTYjA8rUA

Thain of The Mark
@Frostbite, @Allafyrefleorhtlig, @Thalionwen Hunigfolm, and @Dimcairien Luiniel - Thank you all for your feedback so far. This is part of why we posted it as it is currently, because we've looked it over upside down and backwards so many times we couldn't see it objectively anymore. We will be revising, we knew that from the start. :smooch:

@Thalionwen Hunigfolm - Thank you for paring down a condensed version for us to start from. It helps immensely!

All Other Cavalry Members - we want your feedback! Even if it's simply "this is too long, I won't read it until it's shorter."
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

Knight of The Mark
If you’ll indulge an old retired feldmarshal for a moment, I have a few thoughts on the CoC. Please keep in mind this comes from a place of love for our kingdom, which the cavalry is a major part of. As the cavalry goes, so goes Rohan.

First, I appreciate the passion and dedication the three marshals have demonstrated. I am sure a lot of time, discussion, and planning went into preparing that document. But if I may be so bold, my personal opinion is that you’re overthinking. The cavalry is just a small subset of a slightly larger subset (Rohan) of a slightly larger than that set (the Plaza) of people looking to have some fun.

If you were preparing a CoC for employees at a business or government agency, a comprehensive document such as this could be an excellent tool for management. It is well thought out, detailed enough to leave little room for question as to what is expected, and well presented. But this is for players on a website, a site meant for enjoyment. And the subgroup of players that are the target audience is small (currently, at least) and comprised of mature people, most of whom are past members and know how to behave. In the heyday of the Plaza, while the movies still drove large numbers of members to our website, the cavalry roster was bursting, with a lot of the members in the 14-16 age range. Even then, such a set of strong rules was not deemed necessary.

In fact, a lot of the fun in those days came from the rowdiness that sometimes broke out in the Aethelmund, and from the spontaneity of the players in their posts. The Rohirrim are considered fiercely independent in Tolkien’s world, and I believe that has held true in our version of it. To impose rules about how to behave in non-cavalry pubs, how to wear their hair and trim their beards, even when to bathe, sounds more like a modern military where conformity is stressed. I even question the use of the term "uniform," if you are meaning it in the sense of everything from socks to pants to shirts etc. all being standard issue. And though there is no precedent in Tolkien for dealing with romances within the cavalry, a rule requiring making such an announcement to the marshals also sounds more like something that would be required in a modern-day army.

I do understand the reasoning behind the rule requiring letting the marshals know in advance if you plan to kill off a character. But even there, I would argue that this breaks the spontaneity. While I do understand the intent, real life certainly doesn’t work like that. Soldiers, and officers, are killed in action, and the commanding officer doesn’t get advance notice so as not to interrupt his/her battlefield plans. It happens, they have to adjust and make do with what they have left. To me, this has always been a large part of the fun of role play on the Plaza—you don’t always know what is going to happen (just like RL), and so you have to adjust your ideas and plans to move along with whatever comes your way.

Bottom line for me in thinking about role play on the Plaza is: does it fit into Tolkien’s vision of Middle-earth, and is it fun. (I’m referring to the more serious threads, of course; there’s always room for the silliness of Dr. Pepper and badger burgers and tub races and Miss/ter Meduseld, etc.).

The CoC is intended, of course, for current members of the cavalry, but also is something that future members will need to agree to. As such, it is somewhat of a recruiting tool. I have to be honest and say, were I considering joining the cavalry of Rohan, this document would change my mind. It is too long, and too restrictive. Even if presented in a condensed version alternative but with the long version still intact, as one person has suggested, it is a possible deterrent if you are requiring that they read and agree to the long version.

I’ve had a hard time writing this post, struggling to find the right tone and yet still make my points. As I said in the beginning, I admire and applaud @Shivased , @Taethowen , and @Gwai for your dedication and commitment. You are working hard to build a viable and growing cavalry, and I think that’s important work for the Plaza. Though my cavalry days are long over, it is integral to the success of our kingdom and so I feel an investment in it still. The cavalry defines Rohan, and I know you will make a great success of it.

Horse Trainer of The Mark
Gwai wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:07 pm @Rowena Ellenweorc I’m planning an RPG to find the traitors in the Westmark, I was wondering if I can use your sperewigend NPC Aellen? More of an established trustworthy point of contact people can use/talk to. He won’t be the traitor!
He's not an official NPC -- more of a name to use when I need someone for when Audley needs to read and write. So go ahead.

Sorry for not being around all -- Exams are killer. That said, I think it's within best interest if I no longer hold a ranked position in the Cavalry, because I just don't have the motivation to make time for it right now, and to be honest, I've lost a little of my passion for Cavalry. A lot of things have gone into making this decision. Mostly the fact it's been the summer from hell for me.

@Eléowyn also thank you for your post. I've been feeling this way too. And it's been part of my reason for taking my own leave. Granted I also haven't been able to put my own input in because of time constraints. But you are very much on point. To me, NuPlaza's Cavalry has become a chore rather than the element of Rohan it used to be that was fun.

In War We Know Willpower, In Peace We Know Love~

Thain of The Mark
I love how respectful, sensitive and honest so many of the responses in here have been; discussions like this can be tough when someone has worked hard on something and you don’t always agree, but I think this is just more evidence to the fact the cavalry and Rohan are just one big family who look out for each other.
:grouphug:

@Eléowyn huggles; I think that was exceedingly well put and a really useful perspective, especially from someone not part of the cavalry but who is clearly familiar with it and will have many interactions with them. Thank you for taking the time to read things through and share your thoughts. :smooch:

@Rowena Ellenweorc I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having such a tough time recently (huggles). I can imagine how the sudden increase in activity and business within the cavalry has added to that; I think a few people have had to step up their efforts recently just to keep up and not everyone has the free time and energy; I don’t think I’m the only one who is looking forward to all the paperwork being done with so we can get back to :hobbyhorse: and :fence:
Either way, I’m glad to see you are putting your own well being first. I hope that now you’re joining us lower ranking people, you might feel able to relax a bit more and just focus on joining in with some of the mischief and silliness so the cavalry becomes a fun retreat again? Or maybe taking the time to develop some of your out-of-cavalry stories? I’ve been reading a lot of other people’s posts recently, and have to admit I’ve taken a little time to get my head around the Ellenweorc family tree and now I’m bursting to discover what is going on with Audley’s past and this Hawker person! I hope (perhaps a little selfishly) you find your enthusiasm and muse soon, and if there’s anything I can do to help with that, do please let me know :smooch:

New Soul
@Eléowyn thank you for your comments! You bring up some really great points, and it's really helpful having your insight! Definitely appreciated! :smooch:

@Rowena Ellenweorc I'm sorry to hear that, but I understand! Do you want to take the haelend position vs dryhtguma? Or are you thinking more of a leave of absence?
Meduseld Éored

Knight of The Mark
Oh wow, everyone, the responses to this are amazing and just what we needed! We did get a bit excited and long-winded it seems, so that is something we can look at and shorten/condense everything.

@Thalionwen Hunigfolm that is a great job of shortening things! I love it!

@Eléowyn the outside view is great, I'm glad someone who knows Cavalry but is outside it right now gave feedback! It really helps! I get what you're saying, and it has given us a think for sure! :smooch:

@Rowena Ellenweorc I'm sorry you're stepping down! It is going to be weird not seeing the BH badge on you. I hope exams went well though. Hopefully you want to stay as Haelend still so you can torment dryhts with awful potions?
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Thain of The Mark
@Eléowyn Thank you for taking the time to read it over and give your input. I do value that, especially as you were such a pivotal part of Rohan and the Cavalry's early days, which is what made me grow to love the Plaza's iteration of Rohan and the Cavalry so much. And don't worry, none of what you've said is frustrating or hurtful. I'm a writer by profession, and learning to take feedback without taking it personally is something I've had to learn over the years. :smooch:

@Rowena Ellenweorc School can be such a time and motivation suck, and I've been in that spot. It's why I had to step away as Third Marshal all those years ago, so I know the frustration well. I hope you find your equilibrium quickly and that when you have the time you want to devote to the Cavalry again, that all the logistics will be done, and it will be a place you can easily slip back into and have fun. Please do let us know your answer to @Gwai's inquiry of whether you're wanting to stay hælend or be a dryhtguma, and if you're needing an extended leave of absence.
Westmark Éored

Esquire of The Mark
Sorry, guys, will read through comments both here and the whole thing, and reply in the RP, but my husband just scored himself some extra points for being awesome and sent me out in the woods to sleep in a hammock by myself while he's at home with the kids. I was planning to read and write today, but now I am in a hammock, so I hope to get through it before the weekend...
Hælend of Meduseld

For my two cents- I agree with Eleowyn, and fully admit I did not read the enire thing. I don't have the attention span for that much anymore. Cavalry has generally always been my primary focus on the plaza, both old and new. I liked the ability to bend rules and be spontaneous, and to be in the middle of (mostly) innocent mischief. It was something I missed during my brief spell playing in the Gondorian Rangers on the old plaza. I've been in the modern military and while this doesn't read exactly like our codes, it seems a bit too much for a fantasy group loosely based on the Anglo-Saxons. I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into it, and I think it has some very good points (I like the stuff about responsibilities for ranks and stuff). Ok, that was more like a nickle, and I need more coffee.
Once a Rider, always a Rider

Doorwarden of The Mark
I think my thoughts have largely been covered by others here. I like Thali's concise version. I also like Dim's points, but especially the bit about specifics (and I think Allacan made this point too) - that, whilst useful for examples, it's actually more freeing for everyone involved to be more loosey-goosey. I know people did ask for specifics though, and the urge to cover all the bases is strong, so I applaud you all for your thoroughness.

@Rowena Ellenweorc Sorry you're having such a tough time, I hope things settle down and improve quickly for you and you can come back to play some more.

(Sorry, it's late here and my husband has decided to have serious discussions about laptop specs with me instead of providing me with a woodland hammock ( :shrug: ), so this is probably not the most coherent response)

Æthelwigend of the Westmark

New Soul
Just a head’s up, I’m driving up to North Carolina tomorrow to do some hiking. Internet will likely be spotty up in the mountains. I’m sure I’ll be around, but will be less than usual! I’ll be back on Wednesday
Meduseld Éored

Balrog
You lucky goose @Gwai! Have a great time!
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Thain of The Mark
@Amadhrill I hope your impromptu camping trip is going well! It sounds absolutely delightful!

@Éolath thank you for your input!

@Elarith People did ask for specifics, but we probably went a little gung-ho, but oh well! At least this is, by no means, the final draft! (And my husband hasn't provided me with a woodland hammock either. It's thoroughly disappointing, isn't it?!)

@Gwai Have fun! Be safe! Take lots of pictures!
Westmark Éored

Knight of The Mark
@Gwai I live in North Carolina, but not in the mountains. I love that part of the state though. The views are stunning but, yes, internet is hit or miss. Especially along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Have fun!

Esquire of The Mark
I survived a night all alone in the woods! No husband! No kids! (I am so old compared to old plaza me) :googly:

@Rowena Ellenweorc, exams are time-consuming and drains any energy, but hopefully worth it in the end! I am really sorry to see you leave the position as BH, from what you wrote earlier on it, your passion for the 'trade' is so clear that I was really looking forward to learn from you! I hope the summer from hell soon glides over in a much better fall! And I do hope that you find the inspiration to stay on as a hælend and continue your in and out of cavalry writing, I am especially enjoying your writings of diversity that gives me a peek into a literature genre I need to explore more! Ama am so much looking forward to learn from Rowena, and I to learn from your writings! :smooch:

-----

Code of conduct

I can't bring myself to read 12 pages, I am really sorry, @Shivased @Taethowen, and @Gwai! I am sure you have done one heck of a job getting all our suggestions down in one document, and it must have taken a lot of thought and work and time, so I really appreciate it (and feel a bit bad for not reading it all).

I have read all the comments made here, and they are all great and valid points (I think)

There are so many good points made by both current and previous cavalry members, and I am happy to see how we are all doing our best to find a good set of rules to follow while also keeping in the fun of RPing in a cavalry setting, doing our best to combine canon, modern day expectations, craziness of early Old plaza, and a safe place to play around. I think I as well went a little overboard in what suggestions I made.

So, I figure I have some goals/hopes/whatever for my participation in the cavalry (apart from practising fiction writing again and trying to improve on my English, though I probably should get a spell checker for that):
- It should be fun for me to write and hopefully mildly entertaining for others to read (but I am mostly writing for my own pleasure)
- I don't want to offend anyone (I probably will do it unintentionally being a very priviliged white woman living in Scandinavia), but when I do I hope someone will tell me so I learn and don't do it again in which case I hope someone gives me :hammer:
- I want to keep it as close to Tolkiens vision for Rohans cavalry as possible, while adjusting for the fact that I want to play a female who is part of the cavalry, haven't read the books in years, and also I want badger burgers (and for others to drink Dr.Pepper, though after seeing one for real I can't understand why anyone will drink that stuff), fun drinking at the pubs including the cavalry getting drunk together (but bring on the fun of IC punishments for, I don't know, minor things like accidentally burning down the Æthel :lol:).

So keeping this in mind, and if other has other goals/hopes for the cavalry, this might be very misguided. Also, being a non-native speaker and I great fan of keeping things and writings especially as easy and short as possible, I want the CoC as short and simple as possible. Also, this will hopefully give the opportunities for all the fun and craziness I love, but also keep the cavalry somewhat canon.

So I a prefer @Thalionwens version (but I had to use a dictionary for the word dereliction, would neglect work as a synonym?), or can the whole point 1a in Thalis version be shortened to "All cavalry members shall maintain a professional demenour while on duty and remember that their off duty-actions may also reflect on their cavalry standing"? I mean, in real life soldiers on leave do all sorts of stuff, and sometimes they are caught and punished and sometimes not (I have watched NCIS :lol:)

Point 2 and 3, do we really need them? I would imagine that if an IC romantic relationship starts, then at a certain point it would be natural for the parties to approach the marshals IC or for the marshals to approach the parties IC (I am seeing some fun RP opportunities for those involved, or a nosy hælend with concerns *g*). As for deaths, if you plan on killing a character, then by all means, do. But maybe we can just say "If a character development will make your character unable to follow up on any cavalry duties, the marshals kindly asks for a previous warning so that they can prepare for any changes necessary in the rooster"?

I think that's all for now, got to go anyways
Hælend of Meduseld

Esquire of The Mark
Sorry for my lack of involvement this week. I was offered the chance to teach history at the virtual camps we do at the museum. Unfortunately the subject and exhibit I was talking about got all of a sudden mired in controversy. (no details, sorry). Even though my class didn't touch on the part that the controversy was about, it was a bit of a minefield that we all of a sudden had to navigated with daily reworkings of what to say and what not to say, mostly because we directly interact into people's home and we didn't want two parents to get into it over our virtual camps.
I am.. back. Hurray!
Kill-Stealing Skirt Wench
When others ride out to win renown, let me chosen to tend the house.

Thain of The Mark
@Amadhrill The Marshals have done a time skip in the Dragon Room to put the time-line after Lost and Found. I’m going to suggest that maybe after my last post as Grimthain he rushed away to try and grab Taeth or Gwai as they left the Dragon Room about going back to Helm’s Deep for his stuff. @Taethowen and @Gwai have said they will be RPing in the Cavalry Courtyard and I think I’ll have Grimthain catch up to them there. Hope that ok :smooch:

Elven Enchanter
On the topic of IC punishments, how bad of a transgression (or is it a transgression?) to keep apples, dried meat, and other bits of food under a pillow in the barracks? This food is likely also taken from the mess hall. Éomund has rarely seen that much food before in his life (except for his yearly visit to the Hornburg) and he will likely sneak some out at some point soonish and hide it in his bed out of fear of hunger.

There's no rush on an answer, and whenever or if this happens, I would be happy to get surprised IC if that's how you'd rather play these things.

Esquire of The Mark
@Allafyrefleorhtlig works for me!
Hælend of Meduseld

Knight of The Mark
@Dimcairien Luiniel That isn't really even a transgression. I can't think of a single reason to punish someone for keeping snacks about, especially someone who comes from a poor home. I suggest Eomund keep it in a waxed or oiled canvas bag, so that rats have trouble getting at it. That would be a whole other experience if that happened!
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Thain of The Mark
Psst @Shivased; I know you absolutely *love* Allacan (I mean, who doesn't) but I feel like her being on the roster three times over may be a bitoverkill (she's currently showing in Eastmark as both Paeth and Dryht, as well as HCMA).

Also, for clarification, Allacan is only AWOL while she is chasing down the Black Hand person who attacked Pele in the Riddermarket (she's gone under-cover) but she will report in again and give a full debrief of that and other recent events to the Marshals, and face court-Martial if it is deemed appropriate. If you feel you need to put her on the AWOL list on the roster at any time to reflect her IC status, I won't take offence, although I suspect the AWOL is more meant to reflect OOC status? I am (of course) still around for cavalry activities and am happy to get involved within anything, but in the meantime I would be grateful if I could treat Grimthain as my primary cavalry PC for now, if that would be permitted?

Elven Enchanter
Sounds good @Shivased! I didn’t know how particular the Cavalry would be in regards to keeping the barracks spic and span. Thanks for the tip regarding the bag. We’ll see if he actually thinks about that IC. :wink:

Thain of The Mark
For those who want a giggle; spotted this during a re-read of Lost and Found RPG:-
Amadhrill wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:00 pm In her peripheral vision, Ama saw a badger flying...
My mind's horrifying interpretation of that:-

Esquire of The Mark
:rofl: @Allafyrefleorhtlig It is a new badger, known as The Flying Badger, even more evil than the normal Rohan badger :googly:

(On a serious note, does it not make sense in English, because in Norwegian it does, but it is worth some broken English to get such drawings made:D)
Hælend of Meduseld

Elven Enchanter
@Amadhrill It works, or at least I think it does. I assume you meant the badger was moving very quickly? At least, that is what I thought you were saying.

Thain of The Mark
@Amadhrill In English we would normally say flying by, or flying past, to suggest something moving at great speed rather than something moving through the air. But don't mind me and my pedantic nature, I'm always looking for fun misinterpretations that can lead to humour. :smooch:

Esquire of The Mark
@Dimcairien Luiniel Yeah, pretty much what I meant. :D
@Allafyrefleorhtlig :smooch:
Hælend of Meduseld

Thain of The Mark
Cavalry of Rohan, we have a new Bealdorhælend! @Thalionwen Hunigfolm has graciously accepted the position. We approached @Amadhrill as well to see if she would be interested, but her real-life schedule does not permit it at this time. Regardless, we look forward to having all of our skilled hælends alongside us in the Cavalry for quite some time.

If you wish to offer IC congratulations to Thalionwen, her promotion is now 'live' in the Dragon Room.
Westmark Éored

Elven Enchanter
Congrats Thali! You’ll make a wonderful Bealdorhælend. Hmm, how many more people will now be sucking honey off of your fingers? :winkkiss:

Thain of The Mark
Congratulations and well earned @Thalionwen Hunigfolm; I've been mightily impressed with what you have managed with the Infirmary and can't wait to see what you will now achieve as Bealdorhæland. Also, can I now expect to see 'caring for your comfort-animals' and a Scrubs-eque 'box of kittens' treatment added to the hæland training regime? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2XJx3mpDU8

Esquire of The Mark
@Thalionwen Hunigfolm :smooch: I am so glad you said yes to the job! Congratulations!
Hælend of Meduseld

Elven Enchanter
@Shivased, @Taethowen, @Gwai A random thought I just had: is there/can there be a pension scheme for Cavalry widowed spouses or orphaned children? A main reason Éomund grew up as poor as he did is because when Éodred died in battle, the family lost a major source of income and Leigh couldn't quite make ends meet with a simple seamstress job.

If there already is, let's just say Éomund's family got dreadfully unlucky and somehow never received it. And if there's not, maybe, Éomund can eventually approach the Marshals IC to inquire.

Thain of The Mark
@Dimcairien Luiniel since the Cavalry is mostly funded by the royal treasury (at least, I can't think of how else it would be funded), I imagine that potentially there could be a widow's benefit fund of some sort. Possibly it was still pretty depleted from the War of the Ring by the time of the Northern Wind/Southern Storms campaigns, if it was in existence at that point. Because in the books, the Cavalry wasn't really a formal organization. It was simply made up of the Rohirrim civilians who answered the King's summons, I believe.
Westmark Éored

Ent Ancient
I hope you all don't mind a retiree asking you Cav folk a question that offshoots from Dim's...While enlisted, would members receive some kind of stipend? and are they outfitted with their own weapons or would weaponry be returned upon resignation? Might not be something that's decided upon but I'm curious for character-history purposes.

Thain of The Mark
@Lailorn I think we've all been assuming there would be some kind of stipend for active Cavalry members. As for weapons, there is basic weaponry available in the armory that would likely need to be returned upon resignation unless there was just so much stock it didn't matter. I know some of us are likely supplementing the Cavalry-issued gear with our own (and this is a thing we've been talking about behind-the-scenes too, possibly requiring--in character only--for members to present their weapons to the Marshals for inspection and explain why it's superior to the Cavalry-issued gear. Plus, it would be a chance for people to show off their shiny weapons!)
Westmark Éored

Ent Ancient
:thumbs: Works for me. Thanks!

Hey - between the wrist surgery/really annoying cast and traveling across country, I haven't been around a whole lot. I apologize. I am scheduled to be home by the weekend if all goes well, and hopefully back to my weird set up that allows me to type with a cast

New Soul
Traveling around sounds amazing!! But must be terrible having a cast that long, I’ve been wearing a wrist brace intermittently for a week and can’t take it!!
Meduseld Éored

Elven Enchanter
Hope you're having a fun trip and that the wrist is healing up. Wrist issues are no fun to deal with.

@Gwai I understand! I probably should be wearing my wrist brace more often than I do, but it's so annoying.

Thain of The Mark
@Éolath Hope you are enjoying your travels and recovering well; I can think of at least one RPer who will be very happy to see you return when you are up to it :smooch:

New Soul
Just a quick update with Cav events @Shivased @Taethowen and I are planning for the near future, now that the fires are dying down.

—We’re going to start patrols very soon! (within a week or so). Details to follow!

—A fun (at least I hope it’ll be fun) RPG at the end of month to track down the traitors at Helm’s Deep

—General consensus favored the short-and-sweet version of the Code of Conduct (thanks @Thalionwen Hunigfolm!). Will tweak and post here for any final thoughts/improvements/revisions!

—Anything y’all would like to see for the Cav coming up feel free to let us know!
Meduseld Éored

Thain of The Mark
Gwai wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:27 pm ...A fun (at least I hope it’ll be fun) RPG at the end of month to track down the traitors at Helm’s Deep...
I trust when this RPG opens it will come with an explanation of the backstory, or is there going to be an IC announcement in the Dragon Room or similar to bring people up to speed?

I only ask because I am aware of the situation given it feeds directly on from my cavalry re-training task and the creation of my NPC Grimthain, but I suspect for many others this will be a completely new bit of information. I just figured it might be pertinent to point out that this particular plot has nothing to do with the recent fires, Eldrith's Black Hand plotline or the assassination attempt in the Riddermarket.

"Hold up hold up, take a ticket and join the line if you plan to attack the state of Rohan. Arsonists, assassins, traitors, take your place and wait your turn. Planning an evil double agent reveal are we? Sunshine, that's nothing new, get in the queue. Where do you think you are going with that sackful of poison missy?! Come back here..."

New Soul
Yes I have a blurb written describing what’s happened/happening. Although granted not in 1920s lingo, maybe I should redo? :lol:
Meduseld Éored

Elven Enchanter
The sheer amount of attacks within the kingdom of Rohan has been ridiculous and I love it! Life certainly isn't boring among the horse lords, that's for certain. Hopefully we have a chance to breathe before the next major thing occurs.

Thain of The Mark
I think the only stereotypically Rohirric attack we haven't had yet is an assassination attempt on Eowyn *shifty eyes*