Cavalry Courtyard II

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Thain of The Mark
Larmægister Eideard
Larmægister Eideard is an NPC. His use is restricted to the Marshals only.

Eideard nodded as the two trainees introduced themselves, a bit surprised that one of them was a dryhtguma rather than his second expected new recruit.

"Westu hal Hadassa, Dryhtguma Éomund," he replied, his face remaining somber. Corlisswyn was late, it seemed. He would decide how to react to that when she eventually arrived.

"Trainee Hadassa (@Pele Alarion)," he began, "Please name three types of shields, swords, daggers, or bows and briefly describe them. What would you use each of them for? Which do you think you might prefer to use?"

"Dryhtguma Éomund (@Dimcairien Luiniel), please tell me about your sword. What is its name, and what does it mean? What type of sword is it? "

@Pele Alarion - please respond to your task by September 23rd!

@corlisswyn - please show up for training ASAP. If there's some reason you can't do so right away, let us know in the Command Tent.

@Dimcairien Luiniel - since you're already in the Cavalry, I won't put a deadline on your responses. We can take it as slow as you need.
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

New Soul
Corlisswyn

Corlisswyn made with all speed towards the courtyard. She had been so emotional in the Dragon Room when she volunteered to return to the Cavalry that she returned to her house and a wave of emotion overtook her. She had mistaken the date and time for her training to begin, and after a long rest she awoke to realize that she had missed her training initiation. There was no excuse for it; she put on the only pair of pants she owned and the best farming shirt she owned and rushed out the door to beg forgiveness from the Larmægister.

She arrived at the courtyard to find a seasoned cavalry member interacting with what looked like two trainees. She stopped for a moment and mentally prepared herself for the talking to she clearly deserved and approached.

She stepped to the left of the female trainee and patiently waited for the Larmægister to finish his question to the male trainee.

"My deepest apologies, Larmægister. I can offer you no excuse for my tardiness other than a genuine misunderstanding in my reporting time on my part."

OOC- @Taethowen I had every intention of posting on Friday, but RL job got hit with an emergency late Friday afternoon, and I'm just getting out of it late Saturday. As it is I'll be working all day Sunday on it, but I wanted to get this post in before I was SUPER late. What a way to start!)

Thain of The Mark
Larmægister Eideard

As Eideard finished giving Hadassa and Éomund their tasks, a second woman approached and stood next to Hadassa. This must be Corlisswyn, the second trainee. She was more tardy than truly late, but that was still irresponsible.

"Trainee Corlisswyn," Larmægister Eideard grunted. "First, you will do ten laps around the training field. When you have finished, you will return and explain the circumstances around your departure from the Cavalry, and why you have chosen to return."

@corlisswyn Please respond to the task by September 24. Please RP the laps, but it doesn't need to be more than a short paragraph. :winkkiss: (And if you need an extension, please post in the Command Tent as soon as you know. I hope the work emergencies calm down soon!)
Westmark Éored

High Warden of Tower
Hadassa

While Hadassa pondered over the question asked to her, she observed Eomund with some interest, and then saw Corlisswyn join them. Their trainer did not seem to take kindly to delays, and the young woman winced at the effort that would be whole ten laps. However, she said nothing to express her support or empathy to Corlisswyn, and instead focussed on forming her answer.

"I am most familiar with the bows," she began, though had to admit that even though she had retained some theoretical knowledge she would need proper practice. "Firstly, there are longbows. Long weapons, almost the length of archers themselves and require quite some strength to pull back the string. These might be good to provide cover for people with swords and spears. The use of these bows must require proper footing though." She had heard that soldiers in Gondor use such bows, but then again she had not been anywhere beyond her own village and Edoras, so she did not repeat such hearsay.

"Secondly, recurve bows, shorter and with the tips of limbs that curve away from the archer. This can be used from horseback and doesn't require as much strength as longbow to shoot. If I had to choose a weapon, I would probably go with this, though I suppose I would need a blade or two for close quarters fighting," Hadassa continued.

"And thirdly - crossbows. Those are more like short bows placed horizontally on a sort of a beam with a trigger mechanism. I've never tried one of these, but it seems to me that these require even less power, as the mechanism does the most of work," she looked at Eideard questioningly. "Perhaps could be used from horseback too if not too unwieldy?"

New Soul
Corlisswyn
Trainee

Laps? When was the last time she ran anywhere? "Yes, Larmægister." She turned towards the edge of the field where a fence post separated the main training arena from the archery targets, which would act as her lap marker. She began at a jog, making it past the archery range and sword ring when she already felt out of breath and heavy. She also felt overdressed for the weather and the activity. She would have to go to the Riddermarket and reconsider her wardrobe. She took a pause and braced herself against her thighs as she bent over trying to catch her breath. Less than one full lap. She was also going to have to get back into shape if she was going to be successful in the Cavalry. She took one more deep breath and returned to her slow jogging pace. She made it through lap three when she needed to slow down further. Laps four through eight were made at a weary put moderate pace walk, and she felt she had the strength to try to complete the last two back at a jog.

She was once again out of breath when she passed the fence pole for the last time. She braced herself against the fence, her legs heavy and shaky from the unexpected exercise. Her feet hurt as well; she would need to replace her shoes with better performance footwear. Seeing the Larmægister back in the middle of the training arena, Corlisswyn slowly moved back to the training group and stood once more next to the female trainee as she finished her answer.

The Larmægister turned to Corlisswyn, obviously expecting an answer to his question. "Ten laps, sir, as requested." She wasn't sure her departure reason was good enough anymore, now that she was sharing it in the open. "I took a leave from the Cavalry because my father, in his poor health and frequent imbibing of alcohol, needed help on the family farm out in Buckden, and I was his only surviving child into adulthood. But then, I met Gleddon, my husband, and before long we were settled in married life. My father passed just after I married, and Gleddon and I took on the responsibility for the farm. But then I lost him too just a year ago. I rented the farm to a young family and my uncle Wycliffe begged me to return to Edoras and live with him once again. But he died just days before I returned. So here I am, back in Edoras, with little attachment other than inherited property and no responsibility. As to why I returned, I'm hoping to find a sense of purpose and meaning once again, to fill the hole Gleddon left in me with honor and duty." Corlisswyn surprised herself that she didn't break down into tears once again, but the last few days were so emotional that perhaps she had cried herself dry? She grimaced in soreness as she stood straight to take on the next order from the Larmægister.

Elven Enchanter
The Larmægister had only just finished assigning him and the trainee (whose name was Hadassa) their tasks when a third person (Corlisswyn) showed up. Éomund also winced slightly at the thought of ten laps around the courtyard. He was in decent shape, but that much running would likely tire even the best of the Cavalry.

He waiting while Hadessa explained three different types of bows. He listened keenly, having had zero experience with such weapons and then he took a deep breath to steady himself before answering the question that was put to him. "My sword's name is Ædsceaft," he said, willing his voice to stay steady. "It means 'new birth'. Th-the sword used to belong to my father, Éodred, who was killed in battle many years ago. Wh-when I was presented with my insignia, m-my uncle gave it to me. N-not knowing if it had a name, I-I gave it the name Ædsceaft, to remind of who I am and who my family is." He paused for a moment and shut his eyes, willing the tears of emotion to stay back. A moment later, he opened them again and finished answering the question."It's a simple single-handed broadsword."
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

Thain of The Mark
Larmægister Eideard

Hadassa was the first to respond to the question asked, and Eideard nodded satisfactorily at her answers. "A longbow is indeed impossible to use from horseback, though there are military forces outside of the Mark which utilize them.

"Crossbows are very difficult to use from horseback," he confirmed. "Their weight and form is difficult to manage while moving, and the trigger might release prematurely. A short recurve bow is, indeed, best from horseback if you're going to be an archer. However, in the Cavalry, our archers are predominately pæthfindians (scouts), and if this is an expertise which interests you, you will have to undergo further training if you are admitted into the Cavalry ranks."

The corner's of Eideard's mouth lifted just slightly, not quite into a smile, but just the hint of one. Hadassa was showing good promise.

"Trainee Hadassa, for your second task, please retrieve a recurve bow and six arrows from the rack," he nodded toward where it was placed at the side of the field, "and using the targets near the end of the field, fire six arrows. Three on foot, and three mounted. You may use the horse at the hitching post near the archery rack. The three mounted shots should be taken at a canter as you ride down the firing line."

Larmægister Eideard kept on eye on Corlisswyn as she ran her laps, noting how she paced herself, and that half of the laps were more of a walk than a run. Perhaps he needed to speak with the Bealdorhælend and the Marshals, and make sure that there was a reasonable standard for physical ability among the Cavalry.

He turned back to Dryhtguma Éomund then, and listened as the boy spoke of his sword, his expression growing somber upon hearing the story behind it.

"Ædsceaft is a fine name for a sword," the Larmægister answered, his gruff tone softening just a little. "May I ask which battle your father was killed in?

"For your next task, Dryhtguma Éomund, please go the armoury and retrieve the items you would use to clean and maintain your sword. Bring them back here, and demonstrate how you would care for it. If you need help, do not hesitate to ask."

When Corlisswyn returned, he turned his full attention to her response. He could see her hesitation and uncertainty as she spoke, but he knew that life in the Mark had been hard for many after the subsequent turmoil of the War of the Ring and then the events of Southern Storm. Even those not present at the battles were affected the long-reaching repercussions of war.

"There is no dishonor in caretaking family," Eideard spoke. "And greater dishonor in neglecting a duty without renown in favor of one that might bring glory. However, be careful that you do not seek to make the Cavalry something in your life that it should not be. Honor and duty are well and good, but even our bodies" --here he silently clenched a fist at his side, aware of the shortcomings his own body had begun to make known in recent years-- "will eventually demand a different path from us.

"As for your second task, Trainee Corlisswyn, I would like you to demonstrate proper grooming and tacking of a horse. Please identify and describe the different items and placement of a horse's armour as well. If you do not have a horse of your own to do this demonstration with, you may use the horse Trainee Hadassa is using for her archery task once she is finished."

@Pele Alarion - Task deadline is September 27 (but let us know in the Command Tent if you need an extension for some reason). Please RP starting with choosing your bow, mounting the horse (this is a fairly docile horse reserved for the use of new trainees, but the look of it can be made up by you), and following through with making your shots. On foot or mounted does not have to be in any particular order. Your shooting skills can be as good or bad as you wish, but please be realistic and consistent with what you've stated about your character so far.

@Dimcairien Luiniel - as stated IC, if you need help, feel free to ask. Though I will also be referring to Ye Old Google.

@corlisswyn - Task deadline is September 27 (but let us know in the Command Tent if you need an extension for some reason). Please RP this scenario, and don't worry about waiting until Pele/Hadassa has actually posted their task to do yours. Just say something like "When Hadassa had finished, Corlisswyn approached the horse...."
Westmark Éored

Knight of The Mark
stables

Entering the stables as she shoved the last bit of biscuit into her mouth, Shivased chewed and swallowed as she made her way down the stable aisle. The Stablemaster nodded a greeting as she passed. Need a ceorl to get your mount, marshal? he asked her, but she shook her head. I'll work Storm later. Right now I want to work the new stallion I got. See what training he has and how he goes. The stablemaster nodded and she continued on, pausing outside one stall to pat the grey head poking out to greet her. I'll take you out for a good ride later, boy, she told Storm, giving him a scratch behind the ear and an apple she'd brought from the mess hall. The horse snorted and crunched the apple, apparently content to stay in his stall and relax for the day. Perhaps she'd have the stablemaster walk him around the courtyard if she didn't have time for a ride later. At least let him stretch his legs.

Moving on with one last pat to Storm's neck, she approached the white and brown head two stalls down on the opposite side. Hi, Cyning she said, giving him a pat and grabbing the halter off his stall door. She opened the door and brought him out, noting with appreciation that the dirty brown and off-white of his coat had changed with a few baths and proper grooming since their return to Edoras, and he'd put on weight. His coat shone in the sun, brilliant white and rich, coppery chestnut. He was truly unique looking. Mostly white, he had a chestnut patch on his chest and several small dots along his side, and one patch on his rump and running into his tail as a section of chestnut tail hair. The only other patch was the 'hat', covering both ears and down the top of each side of his face, as if he had a fly bonnet on. Add to that, she noted for the first time, he had one blue and one brown eye. He was truly beautiful.

Training Grounds

She took time brushing and saddling Cyning, adding a lunge line to work him on the ground, before taking him down to the training grounds. The new trainees were there with Eideard, but she didn't pause to watch them. She wanted to learn more about Cyning, so moved past them and found an empty spot to start getting the horse going. Taking the lunge whip she'd picked up on the way she gave a snap with it just behind him and made kissing noises. Walk she commanded. The stallion snorted and tossed his head, but got the message and started going. So far so good. She had him make a few turns at a walk, following him from the center of the circle, before snapping the whip again behind him and ordering Trot. He snorted again but did as commanded. Shivased nodded in approval. He'd been mistreated, but he was clearly well trained, at least in the basics.

He moved well, keeping a good form with his neck arched and turned into her hand, his ears flicking at any noise she made, and lifting his legs nicely, almost showing off. Signalling him into a canter she was even more impressed as, again, he responded immediately and moved well and listened to her. She allowed him to canter a few rounds before moving to a trot, then walk again, and back to canter. He did well each time. Eventually she slowed him to a walk and brought him in, rubbing his neck. A little more, and then we'll try some mounted work. You did well on the exercise and I think we'll make a good pair.
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

New Soul
Corlisswyn smiled at the question, as it was one of the first demonstrations, she had to do the last time she trained for the Cavalry, and like most Rohirrim, she was well trained to groom and saddle a horse. Armor was still tricky, as she never did mount armor on her previous horse, Roan. While waiting for Hadassa to complete the mounted portion of her assignment, Corlisswyn looked around for a moment and found at the corner of the training center a well-stocked tacking area.

As Hadassa dismounted and tied the horse back up to a hitching post, Corlisswyn and the Larmægister slowly made their way near the horse. Not sure if this was part of the test, she began to explain. “I don’t know this horse, and this horse does not know me, so before I begin grooming it, I must first take a few minutes to introduce myself to the horse and gain its trust.” She stood to the left of the horse, about 20 feet away, and made sure the horse noticed her slow advance. Corlisswyn was careful to watch for body language; Roan used to flatten her ears whenever a stranger was near. She put her opened hand out towards the horse’s nose, allowing the horse to get a good sniff and catch her scent. The horse seemed calm; he had likely been introduced to many cavalry members over the years. She slowly moved her hand from the nose and patted it on cheek, bringing up her other hand and placing it on the shoulder, stroking it gently down the back. The horse was receptive and nudged Corlisswyn, probably looking for a treat. “Hey there, girl.” After about a minute, she slowly gathered the reins in one hand, twisting to make sure her grip was centered under the horse’s chin, untied them from the hitching post and walked her over to the tack area.

At quick glance she realized the horse was bridled with no halter underneath. She also did not see a halter in the tack area, but she saw a coupling she could use. “I would normally have the horse in a halter for grooming, but I do not see one available. We will be putting the bridle back on in short order, so for the sake of the exercise, we’ll leave it on for such a short time.” She clipped each bit ring to the coupling under her chin and then ran a lead rope through the central ring. She then tied the other end in a tumble hitch, “I’ve never had problems with my horses trying to run away while grooming, but the tumble hitch will keep her secure yet will release if she fights too hard. Without the quick release, the lead rope could injure the horse if seriously spooked. And we should never use the reins, even for short breaks to tie, if possible. When riding, I always keep a coupling in my tack kit for my horses.”

Corlisswyn then unstrapped the cinch from the latego and unbuckled the flank billet, walking around to the right side of the horse and folding them over the saddle. She then took both of the stirrups and hooked them over the horn. She then stood on the left side and carefully lifted the heavy leather saddle off the horse, lifting it straight up and over so it didn’t slide or hit the horse. She completed un-saddling by removing the under blankets, unfolding them, and shaking them out with as much force as possible away from the horse. She sat them on a saddle hold nearby.

With the horse now ready for grooming, Corlisswyn took a moment to gather her supplies. She turned a box upside down nearby and placed on top of it a metal curry comb, a hard-bristled brush, a soft-bristled brush, a bucket with some water, a sponge, a couple of washcloths, a wide tooth comb, and a hoof pick. “I like to have everything at arm’s reach to help speed up the process.”

Corlisswyn hoped that this horse liked a good brushing like her old horse Roan did. Epona, her current mare wasn’t a big fan She took a deep breath and faced the Larmægister. “When grooming my horses, I first start with the curry-comb, focusing on loosening and removing dirt. I brush in a circular fashion, going against the natural direction of the hair. But as the curry comb is metal, I have to be very careful not to dig the teeth in too deeply and injure the horse.” Corlisswyn then spent a good several minutes in silence, performing the task, smoothing the hair back down after brushing it. “I only curry comb along the neck, barrel, and rump of the horse since the curry comb is so rough. I then follow up the curry comb with the hard-bristled brush,” Corlisswyn picked up the instrument, “to lay the hair back down in place and brush off all the loose hair and dirt the curry comb brought up.” She again went silent and brushed the horse’s length from neck to rump following how the hair is laid.

“The soft-bristled brush is used everywhere, including the legs and face. Again, I like to start at the neck and move my way down and back. When I get to the legs, though, I take a moment to lift the foot, clean out the hollow between the hoof and the frog with a hoof pick, and check the status of the horseshoes. I frequently also follow up with a sponging to clear any dirt the brush couldn’t clear.” She quickly moved from leg to leg before returning to the backside of the horse.

“While I’m back here, I take a cloth I’m not going to use anywhere else, wet it, and clean the dock, under the tail.” She deftly and swiftly finished the task as the horse shuffled from side to side to avoid it, keeping a steady hand on the rump to soothe the animal. “I then comb through the tail. I get less of a hassle if I only have to deal with a horse’s backside once, rather than coming back to it for different tasks. I think they find the area generally vulnerable.” Corlisswyn picked up the wide tooth comb and slowly worked her way through the tangles, rubbing large knots between her fingers to loosen up the hair strands. After a few moments, the comb cleared the tail without any snags or hesitation.

“While I have the comb, I then move to the mane, and repeat my actions at the tail. At home I use a small set of stairs to reach the very top, but this horse is a good height for me.” She smoothed the hair as she pulled the comb through the main, patting the horse gently along the way.

“I finish off with the face,” Corlisswyn took a fresh cloth and dunked it in the water, “By cleaning around the eyes and the nose, and brushing with the hair with the soft-bristled brush. And finally, when my horse has been as good as this girl has been today, she gets a few sliced apples, which I keep in my pocket.” She wished she knew to have an apple in her pocket, but she left the house without a horse, and therefore without a treat.

“And now to saddling! Since she is still tied up and freshly groomed, I can move straight onto the placement of the blankets. First, I take a shaken, folded blanket,” Corlisswyn moved to the saddle hold and returned with the blanket, and coming in from the left side. “I hold the blanket at the fold with my left hand and place the fold above the withers of the horse, gently laying down the rest of the blanket. Then, carefully with my right hand, I take the blanket edges and pull it down so that the blanket did not disturb the natural placement of hair.” She performed the task as she instructed, followed by smoothing out the blanket from left to right. “I check for any folds or bumps in the blanket from the withers down the back, as they could force the hair in an unnatural direction while riding.” She moved to the right side of the horse and repeated the process, smoothing out the blanket several times.

“The saddle should have all stirrups and straps folded over the seat when placing it on the horse.” Corlisswyn had taken care to secure the straps when de-saddling, so she picked up the saddle and carefully laid it on the horse from straight above on the left side.

She moved to the right side and checked the buckle of the girth. She ran a hand under the saddle to make sure the blanket was still smooth underneath. She then let the stirrup, girth, and the flank billet hang from the right and returned to the left side of the horse.

Once on the left, she checked the blanket underneath, and then pulled the girth from underneath the horse. “Next step is to secure the girth. This saddle has a buckle on both sides of the girth, so I pull the girth through the buckle and slowly tighten, keeping two fingers between the chest of the horse and the girth strap. Once the horse exhales, I tighten one last time and complete the buckle.” Corlisswyn ran one last check of the blanket on the left-hand side, and then moved to the back of the saddle. “Finally, my saddle has a flank billet, so I buckle it up like the girth. At this point the saddle is now on.” She moved back forward to drop the left stirrup and moved to the front of the horse. “As one last check, I also have the horse lift both of her front legs to make sure no excess skin is underneath the girth. By forcing her to lift her front legs, she stretches the skin taut along her chest.”

Corlisswyn turned to face the Larmægister. “Before riding, I would also follow the normal procedure to bridle the horse.” She hoped she had been complete and easy to follow in her instruction to groom and saddle a horse. "As to armor, I never had a chance to purchase and fit armor to my horse before taking leave. As to tack, she is shoed. My previous horse, Roan, wore both a halter and bridle since as a young horse she liked to run away as soon as a bridle came off, and the saddle equipment, including stirrups designed to come off if I fall backwards off the horse and am still caught in the stirrups. I prefer my horses to wear a traditional snaffle bit on the bridle, which they've always taken well."

High Warden of Tower
Trainee Hadassa

"If Cavalry will have me and if I manage to learn the skills," the trainee responded, trying to master the eagerness she felt at what seemed like a perfect challenge carved out for her to conquer, "I would like to pursue the career of a paethfindian, Larmaegister, sir."

Having answered her question, Hadassa now listened intently to what the others said, eager to learn what she could of military knowledge, and perhaps get to know them without direct interactions at first, though she really would like to make a friend or two.

And so it was that she rather learned more about them personally rather than military stuff, and what they shared brought back to the surface Hadassa's own recent loss and pain, and she suddenly found her throat tightening as she fought to keep back tears. Luckily the Larmaegister gave the next tasks, and the young woman turned away quickly, glad of the opportunity to escape before her weakness became too apparent.

Her back turned to everyone, she headed for the rack and looked at the bows, lifting them and testing them in her hands. Focusing on the choice of weapon helped her to take the mind off the resurfaced pain, and the tightness in her throat eventually dissolved.

Since Hadassa had not been dealing with the weapons too much (or barely at all) for a couple of years, she did not quite know what she should look for in a bow, so she chose one that seemed to fit in her hands the best and had this... right... feeling. Besides, she was immensely grateful that the bow was already strung, as a recurve bow could be such a pain to deal with. Placing six arrows in a quiver, she put it on her back, bow in hand, and then headed for the range supposing that it would be easier to deal with shooting on foot first.

Taking her stand at the mark, toes of her left foot right at the line and her right foot back and angled to point outwards, she fitted an arrow to the string and lifted the bow. Elbow up, was it? She tried to remember the instructions from the previous training, as she drew back the string and released it. The arrow hit the top of the board, above the circles of the target.

"At least it didn't fly off into the blue..." Hadassa murmured, then tried to adjust the aim by taking the time to bring the point of the arrow a bit lower and taking a few breaths before releasing it. The target was hit, though still not that close to the centre. With her third shot, she took even more care, and the arrow landed only a couple of inches off centre.

So far so good. Now, mounted archery was a whole different thing though... Securing her bow on her back, Hadassa walked over to the horse which did not seem to notice her much, except for a flick of ears and a brief look of an eye.

"Hello..."
she greeted the horse, taking her time to find out whether the horse would tolerate her, but as there were no objections to her presence and her touch, Hadassa released the good beast from the hitching post and pulled herself up into the saddle.

Before attempting anything archery related from the horseback, the young woman walked the horse around the courtyard for a bit, before urging the mount into a trot and canter. Then she turned the horse towards the target, while she tried to tackle bow and arrow. The first mounted attempt came up to naught, as the arrow dropped from Hadassa's hand before she could put it to the string - she had not quite found a balanced seat in the saddle, and had to steady herself to avoid falling to join the arrow on the ground. She muttered some not so kind words under her breath unhappy about the wasted arrow.

Riding another lap around the yard to go back and be aligned with the shooting line, Hadassa steadied herself by pressing her legs against the horse's middle, as she turned slightly sideways to nock the next arrow. It was very difficult to take aim, as she tried to keep herself from tumbling off, and the arrow barely scraped the top edge of the board, as it landed behind it.

"If only there were more arrows, right?" the relentless trainee said to the horse, as they circled around one more time for Hadassa to take the last shot. It did not turn out too well either, but at least the arrow hit the outmost circle of the target on the right side.

Leading the horse back to the hitching post and dismounting, she thanked the faithful mount for being so patient with her and not tossing her off at some point. Then Hadassa collected her arrows and replaced these and the bow back on the rack.

"I am not that good, sir," she said upon return to her supervisor. "But perhaps there is still hope for improvement?" Hadassa hoped that her failing attempts would not disqualify her from rejoining the Cavalry, and she made an inward promise to practice as much as she could to gain the necessary skills if allowed to continue. After all... Eomund was already a Dryhtguma, was he not, and yet he was still training and learning more.

Thain of The Mark
After nightfall
Edoras Courtyard

Shadows shifted across the Courtyard, and every now and then voices rose up as people hurried from one building to the next. The balmy warmth of the summer had faded and now the weather was more grim, the night air cold and uncomfortable against the skin. For many, it was the perfect excuse to hurry indoors and wrap up warm against the fire without hesitating out in the cold dark, and that behaviour was exactly what this particular individual was counting on. Few people would pause in the chill night air to stare into shadowy nooks and crannies, and even fewer would ever think to look upwards.

They had planned their unconventional entry into the restricted grounds carefully, and waited until just the right moment to execute their plan. The ladders that were being used by workmen to re-build the tumbled, fire-wrought Æthelmund were tall enough to reach the pinnacle of the high wooden wall that surrounded the courtyard; a perimeter fence for the most part, segregating the cavalry grounds from the rest of Edoras by sheer bent of its size and height, but lacking in fortified walkways or watchposts beyond a few strategic points closer to the normal entryways some way away from the destroyed tavern. After sequestering themselves within the building site after the workers had finished their efforts for the day, it was a simple matter to climb up and position oneself at the crux of a ladder with its footing set midway between wreckage and perimeter wall. Then it was only a question of patience and courage; they waited for the streets to be clear and empty enough before they gripped the top rungs and leapt bodily out into the empty air. The ladder arcing up into the night sky with them poised at its peak, before slowly arcing down to meet heavily with the wall itself; its landing muffled by the rags wrapped about its tallest points.

A swift scramble onto the high wooden fencing and then the figure, silhouetted black against the night sky atop the perimeter wall, tossed the ladder back over the gap towards the tavern. They leapt to their feet, skipping and sprinting along the height of the wall itself with surprising balance and speed. They were already a significant distance around the wall and away from the worksite when the ladder clattered loudly back against the Æthelmund scaffolding once more. They immediately dropped onto their stomach on top of the wall, merging their shadow into the highest points of the tall fencing. Their quick breathing was surprisingly quiet, a testimony to their fitness, but all the same they paused a while to see if anyone in the Courtyard below would respond to the noise of the falling ladder outside the grounds or show any indication that a watch was being kept within the courtyard itself.

Knight of The Mark
Larmægister Eideard

As Trainee Hadassa mounted up Eidard watched intently. She seemed a bit unsure, her positioning hesitant, but with each shot she adjusted her arms or the bow and got closer to the target. He remained silent when she was done, allowing her to move to the horse and begin the mounted section, rather than comment before she was done. He knew from experience that if he offered critique in the middle of a task, it could throw the trainees off and affect their performance and confidence.

The first arrow was dropped but the next two were better. The second one at least was fired, and the third hit the target. Each time she fired, he could see her adjust her seat or her arms or something she was doing wrong. It showed she was learning. When she returned to him, he gave her a nod and approving look. It matters not that you aren't that good right now, that's why you are in training, he told her. Your start was rough each time, both mounted and on foot, but you corrected yourself in small ways with each arrow, showing that you have good instinct and talent, and will gain skill with practice.

He picked up a bow and arrow from the rack and expertly knocked an arrow before taking up the proper position. Your position was good. Feet shoulder-width apart, back straight, standing on an angle but your upper body turned towards your target. When you draw the bow he did so as he spoke, pull your arm back with your hand just below eye level. If your arrow is at eye level, your aim will be better. Just watch how close your bowstring is, or you'll take out your eye. Then, take a deep breath. As you exhale pause halfway through and fire. He let his arrow fly, sending it sailing through and landing a hair shy of the bulls-eye. If you pause your exhale halfway through, it steadies you and ensures your arm, bow, and body are all straight and even.

He then gestured at the horse. Mounted takes more practice, but you made a good start. Grip with your knees and move your hips with the horse. Relax, if you are tense your body won't move smoothly, and that leads to dropping your arrows. He replaced the bow back in the rack. Now, for your third task Trainee Hadassa I'd like you to consider the dagger and spear. Explain to me what combat situation they would be best suited to, and which they would not. Then, decide which one you prefer to use and why.

Once the first trainee was done with the horse and the other took over, Eideard followed her to the grooming area and watched with a critical eye as Trainee Corlisswyn began grooming and tacking up the horse. She moved with the confidence and skill that every Rohir had around horses, securing it in the grooming area and getting to work after introducing herself to it, explaining what she was doing as she went. He studied each movement, nodding his approval as she went. He had no problem stepping in and correcting trainees when necessary, but this one knew what to do and was thorough about the job.

When she was done he nodded his approval one last time. Very good trainee, you are skilled at grooming and saddling a horse. Armour is not as difficult as one would think. In the Cavalry we don't use heavy or elaborate armour for our mounts. He pointed to his own horse, a sturdy animal tied to the hitching post nearby. It wore a chamfron and peytral made of boiled leather. The Chamfron and Peytral are effective protection against most opponents, protecting the horse's head and chest, it's most vulnerable points. They affix easily to the saddle and bridle, and are easily mastered after attaching them two or three times.

Now to move to your third task, Trainee Corlisswyn, I think you are ready to mount up. Using this horse, as you have done so well getting it ready, please show me your riding skills. I'd like to see you walk, trot and canter. Once you have shown me that, go through the bending poles and over the three jumps at the end of the grounds. He pointed to the far end of the arena, where a line of six bending poles was situated, and beside it a row of three basic oxer jumps.

@Pele Alarion Task deadline is Oct 4 (this can be flexible if needed).

@corlisswyn Task deadline is Oct 11 as requested (this can be flexible if needed). Start by mounting, then go through the three gaits - walk, trot, canter - with the horse. Then, go through the bending poles at least once, before doing the 3 jumps at least once.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Esquire of The Mark
Store Rooms

Be careful! *they were the first words out of her mouth after your suggestion of scaling the shelves* Test them first. I'd rather not be facing the First Marshall and tell her you've broken your neck on the first day she has seconded you to me. *She added a smile and a tease, as if she wanted to take the sting out of her words* Otherwise it will be harder for me to get any help...

*Moving closer, she did examine the shelves, herself, tested them with some weight behind it. They SEEMED sturdy* One at a time.. *she said sternly. And you will put both feet on a shelf before going to the next one... and be careful when you get to the hole or through the hole.. the borders of it are like to be rotten so don't pull yourself up through them.. If you can't get through to at least your middle.. we'll find a different way.. ladders.. ropes.. something.

*She took a step or two back after that stern admonishment, despite herself giving you room to climb. She had been seventeen once herself, after all.*

@Shivased
Kill-Stealing Skirt Wench
When others ride out to win renown, let me chosen to tend the house.

High Warden of Tower
Trainee Hadassa

"Yes, Larmaegister," the young woman responded to further corrections and instructions regarding archery. She took a stand alongside Eideard and mirrored his movements, only without a bow. At any rate she would remember for the next time of practice, and she would make sure it would be soon: a new purpose had arisen before her, and she would do all she could not to waste the opportunity to go after it.

A spear and a dagger, two very different options. Hadassa thought for a while, as her eyes sought out the mentioned weapons on the rack. "A spear..." she began, paused hesitantly, and then continued: "A spear has quite a reach, good to protect against attackers and horses, especially when in a formation to create a forest of spears, so to say. Can be thrown too, if needed. Yet in close quarters and with little space to handle it the spear might rather become an encumbrance." Her dark gaze looked for Eideard's approval, before she continued.

"A dagger, on the other hand - it is so short that it might be difficult to counter a spear or a longsword, but very useful in close quarters, even when engaged in hand-to-hand combat and need to incapacitate the opponent quickly," as Hadassa said this, she hoped that Larmaegister would not take this as a sign that she would resort to dirty fighting, unless pressed hard. After all, wouldn't anything go when in dire straits? "If I chose to use a bow, which is a ranged weapon, I'd probably need a dagger rather than a spear if all my arrows were spent and enemy was close at hand."

That said, Hadassa wondered whether she'd have to demonstrate some skills with a dagger. She might be able to use it perfectly to cut meat and vegetables for a stew, but it would be very hard for her to show any useful fighting techniques, as she would probably end up fighting with wild abandon rather than thoughtful skill if it came to survival.

Thain of The Mark
After nightfall
Edoras Courtyard

The Courtyard below was quiet, without even the footsteps of guards stepping into the dark night to investigate the distant sounds. Hardly surprising given that they had happened outside the tall fences, but all the same the slinking shadow was grateful; perhaps this endeavour was not as foolhardy as their nervousness had feared. After lying face down atop the wall for a while the cold had set in and the initial adrenaline rush had faded, and so they were careful to get up gently and take the time to stretch out their muscles and rub their extremities, ensuring that all their limbs were readied and alert before moving onto the next stage of their infiltration.

Initially, they moved a goodly distance along the fence and away from the trestle and gate that allowed direct passage out of the courtyard and towards the tavern. They stayed low, crawling for a distance, conscious that if they stood their silhouette would be visible against the night sky should any peer upwards, so they kept their whole body low against the top of the perimeter wall. Then, when they had clear sight-lines onto the northern doors of the Dragon Room, they hesitated and watched. Here they were out of sight of the living spaces and barracks of the main cavalry area, but they waited for a time, peering down towards the three buildings below - Infirmary, Dragon Room and Hall of Arms, until at last they spotted the two soldiers on watch, huddled quietly by a lantern under the awning of the Royal Guard station towards the north of the interior courtyard, the only bright spot of light in the otherwise dim vicinity.

Having spotted the two guards, they quickly pulled back away from the edge so that the wall would once again guard them, and then carefully and with velvet soft steps moved back along the fence and away from them. They paused for a while perpendicular to the Infirmary, past the peak of its thatched roof so that they were facing the far side of the building to where the guards were. They gauged the distance again; the gap between the high perimeter wall and the thatch below seemed suddenly much further than it had appeared from the ground, but they shook aside their doubts and focused again on the task. They had managed far more acrobatic acts before, and significantly more reckless ones also. There was always a risk, of course, but on this occasion it was worth it.

They bobbed their head up and down, their night eyes assessing the distance and the drop down to the soft thatch away and below even as they bent and flexed their knees. Then they stepped slowly further along the wall with skilled balance, their eyes fixated on the target zone they had spotted, and then turned back toward the Infirmary roof. They took a few long, deep breaths, bouncing on their toes for a few moments. And then they were suddenly dashing forwards, their tight acrobat's slippers pressing hard on the wooden peak of the fencing, toes bending and flexing for maximum grip and momentum, arms gathered and then spread wide in a sudden burst forward as their whole body leapt with one-minded focus out into the open nothingness of the sky.

They fell silently through the night, like silent midnight lightning, from wall peak towards the Infirmary Roof. The fall seemed to last too long and as ever, the peak of adrenaline spiked through them, slowing time so that they could see the approaching thatch and for an instant only felt the horrified fear that they had misjudged the leap flashing through them like wildfire. Then the roof loomed beneath them. With soft legs they caught their momentum against the thick thatch and immediately bent low, tucked their right shoulder and neck down and fell forwards into a roll. Much of the noise of their landing was muffled by the tumble even as it also avoided injury, but there was no way of avoiding some at least some of the crunching of their body against the thatch and a soft, gentle thud of sudden weight against the heavy roof beams. As soon as they came up out of the roll, they dropped down onto their stomach and lay still, trying to muffle their breathing, listening intently and primed to flee the instant it seemed like an alarm was being sounded.

Esquire of The Mark
Edoras courtyard - infirmary/infirmary store house

Amadhrill led the way from the Dragon Room to the Edoras courtyard. Her smile grew wider as she beheld the cartwith honey jars. "That is indeed generous! Follow me, I will take you to the store house.

It was not often that civilians were permitted on the cavalry courtyard grounds, but a horse cart filled with goods to any of the store houses were not unusual. She spoke in a friendly and curious voice to Lailyn as the passed by various buildings to find the infirmary and it's store house. "Where do you keep your bees?"

They stopped in front of a heavy, locked door and the hælend found a key in her belt. There was a click as she turned the key in the lock and it opened. She removed the lock and opened the door, just inside the door was a wedge and she used it to keep the door open. She removed the key from the lock and put it back in her belt. "Now, here we are!"
Hælend of Meduseld

Ent Ancient
Lailyn with @Amadhrill , Edoras Courtyard-Infirmary
Lailyn followed Amadhrill from the Dragon Room and into the courtyard, leading the horse by the reins with the cart in tow. In the haelend’s company, she felt more at ease than she ever would have expected in this place full of old memories and bustling with uniformed wigends. The Courtyard looked just like she remembered but it felt like a lifetime ago she’d been the one in a uniform. It made her keenly aware of how much she had changed in the intervening years.

She smiled at Amadhrill’s question about her bees. People did seem to be curious about them and if the topic of her former Cavalry experience could be avoided, all the better. “Oh, the bees used to live at my aunt’s farm outside the city but I’ve just got a house here so I’ve moved them into my garden. I’m hoping they’ll be as happy with the place as I am! Do you have a home here in the city?”

When they reached the Infirmary and storehouse, she hitched the horse to a post before following Ama and taking a peek inside. Everything appeared to be arranged in a very neat and orderly way. “It looks like there should be plenty of room here!”

“I’ve got four crates for you today,” she told Ama before she turned back and gestured toward the cart. Each crate held an assortment of a dozen mismatched earthenware pots and jars full of golden goodness. “I know there’s more than that here,” she acknowledged a number of other crates on the cart, “but I’ve promised the rest to Thalionwen for her new Infirmary. If you find you need more, please let me know. I ought to be able to get one more harvest in before the bees quiet down for winter.” She lifted up one of the crates herself and asked, “would you mind very much helping me bring them in?”
she/her

Knight of The Mark
NPC: Jacen - Westmark
Store Rooms

I'll be careful, I promise, Jacen replied to Eldrith with a grin, then moved to the shelves. On the way he grabbed a coil of rope from the pile of still useful supplies he'd stacked by the door. It would be handy once he got up there. He had already figured out a likely route, up the shelves, then at the top he'd be able to reach the rafters. From there across the beams and up the vertical supports, and through the hole. Simple. He'd done much more dangerous climbs in the barns at Braiarwood.

He could hear Eldrith lecturing him on safety as he climbed the first couple shelves. He did heed her warnings, mostly, though. He tested each shelf, since she was right. They might not be all that sturdy, especially with all the damage to the rest of the room. A couple of them creaked and one gave a little bit, but they all held and he was up them in a couple minutes, perched on the top shelf.

Might want to suggest to my sister we get some cats for the Courtyard. There's a lot of animal poop up here, he commented, grimacing and wiping a hand on the wall to get rid of the poop he'd just stuck it in. Then, inching across the shelf a few feet he stood up carefully and grabbed the beam, pulling himself up to sit straddling it. From there he stood and walked carefully, arms out for balance, to the center of the room. So far so good! he called down, though he didn't actually look down. He'd done that once and almost fallen; it was best if he just didn't try it again.

The rest was easy. A quick shimmy up the vertical support and he was able to reach the hole. He tested the edges like he'd been instructed and indeed one part crumbled in his hand. He pulled away and studied the hole, noting it was against one cross-beam. He reached for that and used it to pull himself through, knowing it would be the safest spot. Once through, he settled on the roof and uncoiled it back into the hole. There we go, easy as pie! he called, poking his head back in to grin again at Eldrith. If you tie supplies and tools to the rope, or fix a bucket to it to put things in, I can patch the hole!
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Knight of The Mark
Larmægister Eideard

Eidard nodded at Hadassa's answers about the spear and dagger. They were correct, and showed a basic knowledge of different combat styles and weapons. You are correct, he said when she was done. The spear is useful both mounted and on foot, but best when used in a formation such as the spear wall. In individual combat it is good for throwing, though heavy and would require practice, and is also useful against enemies on the ground. But it loses maneuverability in close combat. The dagger is the opposite. Useful in close combat, but useless otherwise unless using throwing knives.

He glanced over to where the other trainee was and saw she was still preparing to complete her task, so was busy with the horse. That meant another question on the ground for this one. For your fourth task, Trainee Hadassa I'd like to talk about preparing for a Cavalry campaign. It may seem like a non-issue, but knowing what to pack, and packing the right supplies, can mean life or death on a campaign. Or at least the difference between being prepared and being embarassed. Here he gave a small smile. If the Cavalry were leaving on a campaign that is set to last a few weeks, what things would you pack in your saddle bags?

@Pele Alarion Task Deadline is Oct. 17 (this can be flexible if needed)[/color]
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Elven Enchanter
Éomund
Main Courtyard

"He died during the Summer Storm and Northern Wind campaign," replied Éomund in a quiet voice. He was relieved that the Larmægister thought that the sword's name was appropriate. Choosing it had been a rather emotional experience. He had yet to tell Grimthian and he hoped that his uncle would also think it a worthy name.

For his next task, he needed to demonstrate how to properly clean a sword. Éomund wasn't entirely certain how to do it, having only been in possession of a sword for mere days, but hopefully he could find the necessary materials and that common sense would prevail. He made his way towards the armory and stood in the entryway for a few minutes, trying to think of what he would need. He would need a polishing cloth and something to clean the sword with, but what?

He knew how to take care of a paring knife since they were an essential kitchen item that needed to be maintained. Perhaps cleaning a sword wouldn't be that different? At any rate, it probably wouldn't hurt the sword. With that in mind, he entered and grabbed two clean cloths (it was probably wise to have an extra on hand just in case) and a small jar of oil. Materials in hand, he returned to the Larmægister.

He waited until he was beckoned forward and laid his materials out. As he pulled the sword out of the scabbard, he said, "It's extremely important to keep a sword clean as it prevents damage." He bit his lip for a moment before continuing, "Ædsceaft hasn't seen much use yet, so it's still very clean. But I think the first step would be to check and see if there is any dirt on the blade and wipe it clean. If there any rust, I would use a rough material, such as sand, to remove it, and then give a proper polish. I…I've never polished a sword by myself yet, but I know that to keep a knife clean and you use oil to polish, so that's what I'm going to do."

Taking a deep breath, he sat down on the ground and carefully placed the sword across his lap. He reached out and picked up one of the cloths and the jar of oil. Moving slowly, he poured a few drops of oil onto the cloth. After placing the jar on the ground once again, he took the cloth in his right hand and began to rub the oil onto the sword, using small, swirling motions. Starting at the base of the hilt, Éomund carefully rubbed the oil on the sword, stopping every so often to add a few more drops when it started to run dry. Once he completed the one side, he turned the sword over and repeated the same process. The blade completed, he turned his attention to the hilt. "It's not as smooth here, so I think it's important to make certain there is no dirt or rust in the places where the metal is joined." After a careful inspection, he wiped away a little bit of dirt on the hilt that was likely from his hands earlier that day. Once again, he poured a few drops of oil onto the cloth and carefully polished the hilt. Once completed, he placed his tools back on the ground and stood up. He held the sword in his hands and looked at the leather scabbard still attached to his belt. "I don't know how to care for the scabbard," he said simply. "You would polish the metal bits in the same fashion as the sword. It's leather, so I suppose you would care for it the same way would care for a saddle or bridle. A mixture of vinegar and oil works for that and a bit of beeswax as well, if that is affordable." The statement about beeswax was said with a hint of wistfulness. He knew it was useful, from overhearing conversations between soldiers at the Keep, but had never been able to use it for saddles before. Whenever his mother had had a bit of it, it was only used for candles as the wax was an extremely precious commodity.

Having finished polishing the sword and explaining why, as well as trying to explain how he thought some aspects of sword care were done, Éomund waited for Larmægister Eidard to either accept his attempt or … Éomund had absolutely no desire to think about what might happen if he were incorrect. If he was unable to care for a sword, was he worthy of possessing his father's sword?

@Shivased Sorry it took so long! My brain has not been cooperating lately. Hopefully it all made sense and that the sources I found regarding sword and saddle maintenance on Ye Olde Google were actually reliable.
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

Esquire of The Mark
Edoras Courtyard – infirmary with @Little Bird Lail

«I do, a small cottage in the Auld Town.» She smiled fondly at the thought of her home with its flowers and herbs, and the sound of her children. «How on Arda did you manage to move the bees, I suppose they must become confused with such a move?»

There seemed to be some tension with Lailyn. It could be many things, many were not very comfortable within the cavalry courtyards, busy as they were with cavalry soldiers and marshals. It could be intimidating, both for civilians and former cavalry members. Ama's green eyes watched the woman carefully before returning her eyes to the crates. «Four crates are much appriciated, the cavalry are grateful for whatever we get. And I trust that the Bealdorhælend, Thalionwen, will split the supplies with the cavalry if the need is there. Four crates will keep us well covered for some time, it is rather quiet here in these days, and I pray it will keep that way!»

Ama followed Lailyn's lead and took one of the crates. «No, I don't mind you helping me at all. Follow me!» She carried the crate past shelves stacked with clean linen, bandages, and jars of various sizes. There was a smell of herbs and clean linen in the room.

«Here we go, you can just put the crate in her.» She bent down and slid her jar into the lowest shelf, leaving the higher crate for Lailyn. «Do you want the crates and jars returned?» She asked as she returned to the cart and lifted a third crate, and returned to the shelf.
Hælend of Meduseld

Thain of The Mark
After nightfall
Edoras Courtyard

Face down, lying flat on the roof of the cavalry Infirmary, they waited for a long time, until once again their fingers and toes had gone numb in the night cold. They were certain that they had heard voices below, people emerging from the doors to talk quietly and the sound of footsteps, and their nerves had grown increasingly fraught with the conviction that they had been spotted and any moment now the alarm would be sounded and they would be circled and arrested and dragged before the senior commanders for questioning, or worse. They struggled not to let the panic over-ride all caution and take the chance to flee right there and then. But after a while they realised that the voices below were continuing in their casual tones, and there was no suggestion of any reinforcements being called for or any ladder being placed against the eaves to investigate. All the same, they waited in stillness and quiet until the voices below had moved on and the night was quiet again.

Then it was the tentatively slow, cautious action of crawling along the thatch along the top of the building, every now and again pausing to determine that the hammering their ears heard was their own anxious heart and not the sound of hurried footsteps or alarm drums. At last they made the far end of the building, and then there was the heart-racing skip along the roof of the corridor that adjoined it to the Dragon Room itself, and the quick scramble up the Headquarters adorned walls and external support beams, using the dimness of the moon-shadows to cover their traversing form. At long last they dropped down into the shade between the Southern curve of the Larmaegister's office wall and the embankment with the quiet padding of a gymnast. For a while they huddle their in the shadows, wiggling their toes and breathing on their fingers to try and warm them once again, relying on the pitch blackness beside the building to obscure their position and all their senses on high alert for the sound or sight of anyone nearby.

High Warden of Tower
Trainee Hadassa

"But... if the spear is for long reach and dagger for short reach," Hadassa said thoughtfully, "Wouldn't it be useful then to have both a dagger and then a sword or a spear in addition? Though... if there is a bow..." She could imagine herself carrying around all the possible weapons - surely that would not be useful, especially if there was a need to track someone down quietly.

The next question Eideard gave her was about being prepared for a campaign. A few weeks was a long time, and the young woman's brow furrowed in thought. "Well... It would require at least some spare clothes, a set or two, especially socks and such. Perhaps a thread and needle to go with it - holes might form and buttons can fall off, so fixing such might be good. A bedroll. A bar of soap," she began to list the things that she thought of as necessary for being away.

"Tools for taking care of the horse, a kit for cleaning weapons, something for healing, at least bandages. Fire starting things. Rope. Food and water, though it would be difficult to take that much food unless it is something dry, like crackers, nuts, raisins, jerky," Hadassa spoke on. "Can't always rely on coming across streams for fresh water and time to hunt, yes?"

Her dark eyes glanced up at Larmaegister thoughtfully. She had not been travelling that far and for that long, so she could only go on what she thought was reasonable and necessary. "More likely than not I forget something important, sir," she said with a smile. "And would be embarrassed before my comrades."

Ent Ancient
Lailyn with @Amadhrill, Edoras Courtyard-Infirmary/storeroom
Just by the look on the hælend’s face, Lailyn could tell that Amadhrill’s home in Auld Town was a happy place. It was heartening to see such tranquil normalcy was possible. At the question about moving the bees, she laughed softly. “My aunt and I moved them very carefully...before we sealed up the hives, I flushed them with smoke. It helps calm them and burning a bit of lavender in the mix doesn’t hurt.” She gave Ama a knowing smile trusting her familiarity with the herb’s soothing effects. “I think they’ve settled in their new home more easily than me,” she admitted.

Lailyn nodded, certain Thali would distribute the supplies if needed. She carried the crate into the storeroom and set the jars on the shelf with care. The Infirmary might not have been a soldier’s favourite place to be, but there was something soothing about the place that day whether it was the fresh scent or Amadhrill’s calm and friendly presence or both.

“Yes please, if you don’t mind,” she replied as she fetched the final crate and returned to the storeroom. Reusing the jars would certainly cut down on costs. “I’d be happy to pick them up or you can have someone drop them off with me in New Town.”

After she finished lining up the jars on the shelves, she stood and paused a moment to take some pride in this small contribution before she stepped back outside.

“I do hope you won’t have a need for more honey soon and that peace will last for all our sakes.” She told Amadhrill before pausing with a brief glance around the Courtyard. “But for all of you wigends especially. I know it can be a hard life… Exhausting in every way imaginable. I remember what it was like." Her voice softened and her gaze turned down for a moment before she caught herself floating away to places better left alone. She cast a soft gaze back toward Amadhrill and hoped her genuine words would be well-received. "I appreciate everything you and your comrades do for people like me and if I can help in this small way then I’m very happy to do so.”
she/her

Knight of The Mark
Larmægister Eideard

Eidard hid his approval of Hadassa's question about the sword and spear. It was a good question, but he preferred not to dole out or show too much approval, lest trainees heads become inflated and their confidence over-large. He gave praise where it was deserved and in amounts enough to lift spirits, no more. You have a good point, however a dagger is not a main weapon so you indeed would have a spear or sword on you, if not both.

He checked on the other trainee for a minute while this one thought, noticing they were still busy with the horse. That was fine, he could bring in another. He gestured to a wigend for another mount then listened to what she said. Everything you list is correct, and what I would put in my own saddle bags. A hoof pick and brush for my horse. Oil and a cloth for cleaning weapons. A change or two of clothes. A bedroll, length of rope, needle and thread, a small healing kit, and a flint. At least one water skin, and some dried meat are good. Food, however, would be taken care of by the Cavalry cooks so you may only need enough for a couple days just in case. Those are the basics that should be in everyone's saddle bags. Anything else would depend on your role in the Cavalry.

He left it at that and made a gesture at the new horse brought out. Take this mount, and using the quintains at the end of the arena, I'd like you to demonstrate the spear positions. Couched, Overhand and Underhand. While I prefer you actually hit the quintains, it is fine if you miss. I want to see that you are proficient in the positions.

He then turned to Eomund and watched as the lad cleaned his sword and sheath, explaining what he was doing as he went. You may not have much experience, but you have the knowledge of what to do. You only have to put that knowledge to good use, he stated when the boy was done. Pointing at the training dummies next to them. Made of straw with basic leather jerkins and helms, they served to train people on basic combat. Since we're talking about swords We'll move on to a bit of swordsmanship. I'd like you to practice some parrying and thrusting. Just simple movements that will help you work on your basic posture and positions.

@Pele Alarion: Your deadline is Oct. 31, but can be extended if necessary.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Esquire of The Mark
Edoras Courtyard – Infirmary/store room

Amadhrill
listened with interest as Lailyn explained how the bees had been moved, smiling at the thought of lavender in the mix. «I can't imagine it does any harm.»

«I'll be sure to return the jars, then, either myself or send someone with them as they empty.» Ama admired the shelves now filled with jars and jars of honey and smiled, the store room was gradually filling up again. With the delivery of herbs she expected from the farm any day now, it would be even better stocked. She could see from Lailyn's face that the woman also took pride in her and her bees work. Stepping outside again she noticed the brief glance around the courtyard by the woman and her words. Ama nodded, her face grave. It was a hard life, exchausting, yet rewarding. And this time at least she knew very well what to expect.

«We all do what we can and must.» The hælend said gently, then she noticed the look, a look she had often noticed in others, and herself. «You have served yourself, then? Where did you spend your cavalry days, if you don't mind me asking?»
Hælend of Meduseld

Esquire of The Mark
NPC: Jacen - Westmark
Store Rooms

She winced at each creak, moving forward in a rather futile motion to support or catch you, but you didn't really need to. Despite the overconfidence of the young, you knew what you were doing, and there was some relief as you tested each shelf with part of your weight before shifting balance. Reaching out to the beam.. you pulled and without a second of hesitation you walked through the rafters and then towards the hole in the roof.. as easy as you please as a cat on a barn roof. Well... the crossbeam offered leverage for yout o pull through and before she knew what was happening you were.. on the roof!

Of course! "she called up as you asked for supplies. And at least having cleaned up the store room she could see where some of the things were. Or were supposed to be. "give me a moment... Rope... rope...

She did find the rope, making sure it wasn't rotted through before finding a bucket. That DID have a hole in it, but it was high enough that it shouldn't matter too much. WHat else... tools. Tools would be essential. And if she could find it.. some of the heavy, oiled canvas..

Ehm.. are you.. good up there? Safe? Nothing creaking or sagging?

*She got the bucket and managed to attach it to the rope, then carefully opened up the canvas, before rolling it tight, tighter.. and somehow managing to stuff it end side up in the bucket.* THis should help, right? Jacen? YOu know your sister is going to be angry if you break your neck, right??

@Shivased
Kill-Stealing Skirt Wench
When others ride out to win renown, let me chosen to tend the house.

Dúnadan
The Courtyard Gate: Errand-Rider from Gondor with important package for @Gwai-Gon Jinn

NPC: Olimir of Gondor:

The tall boy from Gondor reined his horse in at the gates of the Cavalry Courtyard.

"Good morning," he said to the guard on duty. "I bring two bags of lemons from fair Minas Tirith to Marshal @Gwai-Gon Jinn. Please could you take charge of them and deliver them to her safely. Inform her they are the fruit promised by @Calimir, errand-rider of the King. He is sorry he can't give them to her personally, but he is engaged on other business."

When the bags of lemons were safely in the guard's hands, Olimir turned his horse and hurried from Edoras. He had messages to deliver along the road to Helms Deep.
man of gondor < Image > heart of rohan

Ent Ancient
Lailyn with @Amadhrill , Edoras Courtyard-Infirmary
Her chest squeezed tight at Amadhrill’s question. She shouldn’t have said anything, she should have just gone on with her day and kept her thoughts to herself. But she did want Amadhrill to feel appreciated and valued for her service and she couldn’t remain silent about that.

“I…” she began, hesitating and swallowing a nervous lump in her throat. “Yes.” She tried to hold her head high but felt her shoulders droop some. “I fought with the Westmark éored,” she managed to utter in a quiet voice. “I was a Pæthfindian when I resigned…and I left the Mark for a long time after that. I’ve only just returned.” Lailyn’s face pinched into a frown and she wanted to look away but forced herself to meet Amadhrill’s gaze as she admitted her failure, how she had run away for so long.

“I’m not proud of the way I left. In a hurry with barely a goodbye to anyone,” she told her,” I hope now I can make it right by helping in other ways. Even if I won’t be re-enlisting.” Lailyn studied Amadhrill and wondered how she managed it. To be both a soldier and a hælend must be challenging but this woman held herself with calm poise and confidence she admired.

Feeling as though she shared too much, she took a faltering step toward the horse and cart. “I’m sorry, you must be very busy and not only with Cavalry business. Please don’t let me keep you.”
she/her

High Warden of Tower
Trainee Hadassa

So it was true that she would have to carry a lot of weapons, and it would mean that she would have to gain a bit of strength so she would not look like someone walking around under a mountain. But at least she had good sense in relation of camping preparations and such. Hadassa began feeling a satisfying sensation of confidence, and then came the next question which quickly deflated her again.

"I... not..." the trainee muttered, realising that she was now in quite a fix. She knew a bit about bows and could handle those more or less with satisfactory efficiency, and yet spears were not something she knew well. Squaring her shoulders to appear confident, she walked over to the horse and spent a few moments acquainting herself with the new horse. Hadassa did not spend much time in considering the choice of spear and took the first one that was within reach. So far so good.

The difficult part began when she was all settled in the saddle. How could she even prove that she was proficient in positions she did not even know? Perhaps she had left the training before such things were taught, and now all she had left to do was to go by common sense. Overhand... For a while she weighed the spear in her hands, mindful of not hitting the horse. Overhand, probably as in gripping the spear from the top - and that is what she did: her fingers wrapped around the shaft with the palm facing downwards, she raised the spear above her shoulder and nudged the horse into the motion. Approaching the quintain, Hadassa even rose from the saddle slightly, leaned towards the target and with surprising precision struck it. Surprised by this pure luck, the young woman turned the horse around for another attempt.

What she guessed the underhand position could be seemed rather uncomfortable for Hadassa. She ended up holding the spear in what she thought was an underhand grip, the palm facing upwards, and fingers towards her - her hand stretched downwards. She felt that this surely could not be right - it felt unnatural and uncomfortable, and yet she rode towards quintain, trying to hit it by lifting the tip of the spear. Eventually she ended up just riding past it with a sigh and shake of her head. She was SURE she did this wrong.

Now, what could couched position be? She had tried wielding a spear by keeping it both high and low, so out of options and remembering some drawings of riders, she simply took the spear under the armpit and made for the quintains yet again. To hit the intended target, Hadassa adjusted her hold on the spear and lifted the tip somewhat as she performed a thrust. At least she hit.

The task accomplished, Hadassa secured the horse and spear in hand returned to Eideard. "I'm sorry, Larmaegister, sir," she admitted. "I'm no good with this, but I would like to learn to handle the spear correctly."

Esquire of The Mark
Edoras courtyard – infirmary

Her green eyes looked carefully at the woman in front of her, her eyes soft and caring. She noticed the lump in @Lailyns throat, the hesitation, and slight droop of the shoulders. Ama met the gaze and listened to the words. She searched for the right words, letting the words she had heard sink in before she spoke. Her words were soft and gentle, her smile friendly.

«There are many ways to serve our King and Country, and it sound to me as if you have done more than your share already.» She softly patted Lailyns arm. «There are reasons we, old veterans and new soldiers alike, react as we do. There are many memories, good and bad, that we bring with us from a life in the cavalry. Even if you are no longer in active duty, if you want to speak about what you have seen, done, experienced, my door here is always open. There is much help in talking to someone, I have never been a Pæthfindian, hælend always was my only calling, but I have been in the Westmark and I have seen time both in the cavalry and outside...»

Then she noticed the studying look and felt the discomfort of it and the familiar blush creeping up her cheeks. Yet she smiled and shrugged. «There are much I have done that I am not too proud of, I have left the cavalry myself with hardly a word and had not the wigend come to my very door, into my very home and said that all former cavalry members still able to serve were asked to return...» she stopped her fast-flowing words, checked her breath again.

«I did not want to return, but when the call came, neither could I reject the call. So I do what I must for the time I can.» Again she took a deep breath and patted the other woman's hand. «As do you, sweoster of the Westmark, as do you.»

Then she shook her head and smiled, as Lailyn took a faltering steop towards the horse and cart. «I am very seldom too busy for a talk if that might lessen a burden. And these days are calm in the cavalry. Will you have a cup of tea with me and tell me about your days in the Westmark, as a small thank you for your generous gift?»
Hælend of Meduseld

Ent Ancient
Lailyn with @Amadhrill , Edoras Infirmary

Tears blossomed in her eyes at the words of King and country and the kind offer to listen. Amadhrill’s understanding was wholly unlooked for but more welcome than she could ever know. Lailyn felt less alone in that moment and the touch on her hand, the use of the word sweoster, almost undid her right there. She looked away and closed her eyes for a moment to collect herself.

It took a moment until she was sure she could speak without her voice quavering. “I suppose you must be used to being refused as a hælend.” She managed a weak smile though her hazel eyes still glistened with unshed tears. Many wigends, including herself, were stubborn and reluctant to seek help from a hælend. No longer in such a position, Lailyn could not refuse. Perhaps it might even help. “I would like that if you are sure. I promised I would get the rest of this honey to Thali today but if you have time, then so do I."

She took a tentative step away from the horse and cart and the easy escape it offered. It was true there was much she needed to do that day but maybe it was time to stop preoccupying herself with endless tasks designed in part to distract her from real problems.

“I don’t know if I’m really ready to revisit those days...even after all these years.” She drew in a breath and released it. "But I will try. And I would like to hear of yours, too, if you are willing."
she/her

Knight of The Mark
Larmægister Eideard

Eideard could tell Trainee Hadassa was not confident about spears. Actually, if he had to bet on it, he'd bet she had never held a spear before today. He'd seen that look on many trainees faces before. But he was a firm believer in throwing trainees into the fire and seeing how they fared, so he rested his hip on the fence behind him and watched.

When she returned, he stood straight again. Her apology didn't surprise him, and he let out a gruff chuckle. Always entertaining when a trainee does it right, then apologizes for doing it wrong, he commented. You say you don't know anything about spears, but you did all the right positions. Overhand and couched you did just fine. Practice the Underhand, it gave you some trouble and it isn't the easiest to learn. But you won't use that one much, it isn't that useful anyway. The last bit was his personal opinion, but he couldn't help add it. He had never seen much point to the underhand position. It was uncomfortable, difficult, and not very versatile.

I think we're done here. he continued after a pause. You need to practice and hone your skills, but that'll come with time. You don't belong in the trainee ranks anymore. He stood straighter and saluted, a small smile cracking his rough face. Congratulations. Go take the Oath of the Cavalry and report to the Marshals. I'll send a messenger to let them know you're coming.

OOC: @Pele Alarion (Sooo sorry this took so long to get up! I had a small car accident (got rear-ended), and was too sore to post after I told you I would! Good thing is though, you're done! If you wish more training, simply tell Eideard you wish to spend a bit more time with him, and what you'd like to learn. I'm happy to have him go over things with Hadassa if you want.)
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

High Warden of Tower
Trainee - soon not to be trainee - Hadassa

"I... did I?..." she muttered, blinking her dark eyes a couple of times to make sure she was not dreaming. Yet, she was not sure she could get very far by logical guesses alone: constant practice would be necessary if she were to use any of the weapons with skill and proficiency. Besides, she wasn't all that sure where she would be assigned, so she would probably need to be able to use anything that would end up in her hands.

At hearing that she was all but done with being a trainee, Hadassa could not help but flash a wide smile at Eideard. "Larmaegister, I might not need to be a trainee much longer, but I do need practice. I promise I will do that as much as I can!" she claimed, telling herself that she would not want to let down her trainer in any way. Besides, she really did mean to follow through and do what she promised.

"I would appreciate more spear training under you, if you are available at some point, sir," she mentioned, ready to do it even at this very moment, though she also wanted to run off to the Marshals immediately.

Esquire of The Mark
Edoras Infirmary with @Lailyn

She noticed the tears in the old warrior's eyes, how Lailyn looked away to keep them at bay. Her own green eyes glanced around the area, at the horse and cart and the buildings. She stood silent and waited to hear and see what the woman chose, to take her offer or continue her business. There was a calmness in her presence, no hurry or impatience to go on with her work, just calm patient waiting. She returned the week smile with a bright one, her green eyes twinkling with laughter.

«To say I am used to cavalry members coming willingly at all times would be a lie...» She laughed softly, the truth was that she had chased down wigends and marshals at the oddest places to give them a necessary treatment. But there was also the wounds not visible to the eyes, wounds that could only be treated when the wounded came reluctingly or willingly. A small smile showed that Ama was pleased that the old wigend took her offer. She closed the door to the storage and locked it again. «I will be happy to share a cup with you and we can take it from there... I know the infirmary isn't most people's favorite place, but I have herbs for tea and a kettle there, and a spare chair in the office.»

She led the way back to the main door of the infirmary, and into one of the first doors. There she found a kettle and filled it with fresh water from the bucket, before hanging it over the fire. She gestured towards one of the chairs for Lailyn to have a seat. «Now, what kind of tea do you a prefer?»

She found two cups in a cupboard and sat down, waiting for the water to heat up. «You said you left the cavalry in a hurry...»
Hælend of Meduseld

Knight of The Mark
Larmægister Eideard

Eideard couldn't help but return the smile Hadassa gave him. The girl had an infectiousness about her mood that even the grizzled old warrior wasn't immune to. Then come back when you are ready for more practice, and we will work on spears and anything else you wish. For now, however, go to the Dragon Room. It is more important that you choose an eored and gain your insignia. You will have plenty of time to train once that is done.

@Pele Alarion
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Ent Ancient
Lailyn with @Amadhrill , Edoras Infirmary
Lailyn followed Amadhrill back into the Infirmary with less reluctant steps than she might have taken in her Cavalry days and found herself immersed in the earthy scent of drying herbs and freshly cleaned linen. Mercifully, the place was a far cry from her vivid memories of a battle’s aftermath and the temporary infirmaries that emerged on a campaign. She perched on the chair and clasped her hands on the table before her, not quite ready yet to relax.

“Oh, perhaps something soothing might be in order...a nice chamomile or something similar? I’m not very particular though, anything will do.” She smiled and watched Ama prepare the kettle with neat efficiency.

“You said you left the Cavalry in a hurry…” The other woman prompted and for a moment, Lailyn wished she had not agreed to come here. What purpose could revisiting the past serve anyway?

“Yes...I did," she mused. At the time, she couldn’t have gotten away fast enough. Drawing in a deep breath, at last, she began to speak. “I don’t know if you were there for the Northern Winds Campaign...but we rode east and battled Easterlings and Wainriders.” She closed her eyes for a moment. “I can still remember the sounds of their wild calls and the terrible thundering of their wagons.” A shudder passed over her and she opened her eyes again, even knowing she could not hide the haunted shadows from her gaze. “I fought and gave it my all, but that was all I had to give. I looked at these men out of the East and I saw only the similarities between them and us...” She confessed those innermost traitorous thoughts she had; it was the first time she voiced it aloud to anyone, too afraid of what people would think of the real reason she had resigned.

Even sitting there with this kind hælend, she felt her heart begin to race with fear and unease. “Please don’t misunderstand…” She added hastily. “I wanted to defend our people. That is what drove me to enlist in the first place...but I realised that I could not be the one to do it anymore. There was so much pain and suffering and I could no longer bear it. So I handed over my badge and my bow and I left the Mark, just like that, too ashamed of my failure to stay.”
she/her

Esquire of The Mark
Edoras Infirmary – with @Lailyn

Ama noted the hands that clasped the table as she waited for the choice of tea, she smiled at the choice of drink and words. Soon the soothing fragnance of chamomille mixed with the more energizing mint as the hælend handed over the cup of chamomille tea. She wrapped her hands around her own cup and sat down on the other side of the table and leaned back in the chair.

For a little the room was silent, waiting, then Lailyn began her tale. Ama listened attentivly, watching the woman in front of her close her eyes, shudder, and reopen the eyes. She stayed silent, waiting until she was sure that all the words were spoken. Had she fought in the Nortern Winds Campaign? She ignored the question, did not want to interrupt the thoughts and words from the old warrior. For a little she remained silent, her face calm and non-judgmental.

«You say that you saw the similiarities of the Easterlings and Wainriders and us, the Rohirrim.» Ama repeated the words softly and slowly, as if stating a fact that was not contested in any way. «And you could no longer bear the pain and suffering that you inflicted in order to defend our people. Then you handed in your badge and bow and left the Mark.»

She paused a little, letting Lailyn speak if she wanted. «And you felt ashamed of your failure to stay.» The last sentence was spoken gently. «What do you mean when you say that, that you failed to stay?»

Oh, if these matters of the mind and heart were as easily cured as cuts, scrapes, and blows of the battle field. If the soldiers, past and present, could only see that these reactions were normal and to be expected. It was what made them, herself included, human. But it was the thoughts, the memories, and the night mares that were the long term wounds. She softly and descreetly moved her index finger up and down her cup, focusing her attention on the sensation, the smooth surface of the cup and the heat that came throught from the warm tea. The simple trick brought her back to the present, focused her attention on Lailyn in front of her.

OOC: So sorry for taking a month to reply, lack of time and writing mojo... back now! :smooch:
Hælend of Meduseld

Ent Ancient
Content Warning for Cavalry related PTSD

Lailyn with @Amadhrill, Edoras Infirmary
Amadhrill listened with openness and kindness to the things Lailyn had been too afraid to say out loud for so long. It was hard to hear her own words repeated back to her even in Amadhrill’s gentle tone. Each phrase felt like a knife digging deep, peeling away layers and layers of skin, of the things that made her whole, until nothing remained but the innermost softness of her heart.

“What do you mean when you say that, that you failed to stay?” Amadhrill asked.

Tears stung her eyes and she stared down at the steaming cup of tea before her. How could she possibly explain all the ways she felt she had failed? It didn’t help that she had regrets in her life outside of, and after, her Cavalry service. She rubbed her forehead, trying to sort through all the things that weighed on her mind. She drew in a short breath and sipped the tea, taking another moment to collect herself, feeling grateful for Amadhrill’s patience.

“I mean...I failed my éored, my comrades, my friends, when I abandoned them for my own selfish needs. After all the time they spent teaching me, training me, guiding me, I left for my own sake.” She bowed her head. “Would it not have been honorable to stay and fight?” The question hung in the air for a moment unanswered, though she knew the answer and it was yes. In Rohan, those who were strong and faithful to their own, to King and country, lived and died by the blade, and anything less was a weakness.

“The truth is…” Her voice was soft as she fought against her trembling breath. “Every battle wore me down until I was a hollow shell of myself. I know I couldn't have stayed. But no one else seems affected by the things that trouble me or if they are, no one talks about it…I have nightmares about what I've done, what I've seen…” she whispered. “Sometimes they strike when I am awake and they are more real than the world around me.”

If she let go and let herself fall into those dark memories, if something made her go back to them, she knew exactly what would happen. Everything would spin out of control around her until she couldn’t breathe beneath the crushing weight, couldn’t move, couldn’t stop it. She would be trapped, a captive in her own mind. She would not let go.

Her knuckles turned white with tension as she gripped the mug, the tea momentarily forgotten as she struggled to pull herself back from the abyss that opened up before her and threatened to swallow her whole. The tea danced and rippled in the mug as her hands quivered and she fought to steady them to no avail. Instead, she laid her hands flat on the table and took a deep breath, inhaling the sweet scent of dried herbs and chamomile tea. It helped to feel the rough surface of the wood beneath her palms. Awareness seeped slowly in, bringing her back to the Infirmary and out of the past.

“I'm so afraid it will happen again now that I'm home. There are too many memories I've been avoiding but I want to overcome this. Do you think I can?” At last, she looked up and met Amadhrill’s gaze with steely determination. “I don't want to be afraid anymore.”
she/her

Esquire of The Mark

Ama descreetly moved a small stack of soft looking rags towards Lailyn, in case she needed something to dry her eyes with. The hælend watched as the woman on the other side of the table rubbed her forehead, taking another moment to collect herself before speaking. She listened attentively, encouraging Lailyn to continue with neutral «mmm»s every now and then. The words seemed to put all the blame to Lailyn.

Again she waited, letting the words come in their own pace, watching Lailyn carefully for any sign showing that she had gotten herself too far down her mind's abyss of old memories and traumas. Ama watched the knuckles turning white around the mug, the hands that quivered before they were placed flat on the table. An on-looker would perhaps notice a glimpse of approval at the move that brought Lailyn back to the present, before the face turned neutral again.

Ama held the steely determinded gaze in silence. When she was sure that all words were spoken she slowly drew her breath, taking a few deep breaths before she spoke in a steady, gentle voice. Her face was grave and kind. «You have told me much, both by your words and by your body.»

She paused to allow herself to formulate the words before she spoke them «You ask me if I think you can overcome the nightmares about what you have seen and done that strike you both in sleep and when awake. I do not know if you can or will, some waves we must simply learn to ride...»

Again she paused, weighing her words and pondering what was right to say so not to lay another stone on Lailyn's burden. «You say that you failed your éored, your comrades, and your friends for your own selfish needs. That the honorable thing would have been to stay and fight. You couldn't have stayed, the battles wore you down. And you believe you are the only one affected by this, nightmares and memories.»

She repeated the words slowly before continuing, her green eyes holding Lailyn's eyes firmly. «I know of no man or woman, be they civilian or cavalry or even the Rangers of Gondor, who have seen battle and returned without nightmares and unpleasant memories. Most learn to live with it, one way or another, and some don't.» Sorrow quickly passed over her face as she diverted her eyes for a moment, before she could arrange her face into the grave and kind expression.

«I have spent many a night trying to wake a soldier from nightmares, assuring them that the battle is over... you are not alone in experiencing battle again and again. Nor are you alone in feeling that you have failed your comrades by leaving, indeed, it is my professional opinion that the cavalry, your comanders, and hælends that failed you. And in time, if you wish, that is, I hope that this can be at least in part corrected.» She paused, stroking the cup with her finger and mentally reminding herself that she was not to blame for those in the same situation as Lailyn. Again she took a deep breath, continuing in a calm, grave voice. «But have no illusions, I cannot remove the memories from your mind, and what I hope might help you to learn to live with the memories will take time and hard work. Though I see that you have already begun to find a way to return yourself to the present when the memories come, so I have hope that you will find a way to overcome or perhaps more correctly, ride the wave rather then fighting it...»

She let the words trail off, her eyes moving around Lailyn's face, now and then looking towards the eyes, careful not to stare too intently.
Hælend of Meduseld

Ent Ancient

Deep down, Lailyn knew she was not alone in this. But she had never spoken of it to anyone but the healers she met in Gondor, who helped her until she left their land. How many people did she know who had fought in one battle or another and bore scars whether they were visible or not? Those left on the spirit and mind were as permanent as those that marred flesh.

But to hear she was not alone from someone else, someone who knew it firsthand, lifted some of the shadow from her mind even as she realised it meant so many others had to live with this same darkness plaguing them. For her relief not to be alone, her grief for all those who suffered the same, and those who Amadhrill said had not learned to live with it, Lailyn wept. She did not turn her face away and hide. Only when she felt the tears subside did she reach for a cloth Amadhrill graciously set out to wipe her blotchy face.

“I have not ignored it completely. I saw healers when I was in Gondor many years ago.” She set the crumpled cloth on the table. “They helped me. They told me to find something, an anchor, with which to hold myself to the present, to reel myself back. I had thought I was past all this when I left, but I was young then, and I did not know how wrong I was...”

Amadhrill may think it was a failure for her commanders and hælends, but Lailyn felt it was a failure on her own part, too. That she had never asked for help or opened up to anyone about it outside the safety of a healer’s ward. To be open, honest, compassionate, were all things she valued more highly than honour, strength or pride, but she had wrapped herself up so tightly in a cocoon that she never tried to peel open. What light and life and beauty might be waiting on the other side if she could survive the struggle to escape the sheltered space she made for herself. If she had to ride a wave in order to do so, she would.

“I think now I am ready if you will help me, even though I am no longer in the ranks. You seem to know much about this and I feel comfortable talking to you even when I am at my worst." Amadhrill's green eyes were full of kindness in spite of the challenges she spoke of and Lailyn felt a surge of trust and hope she might be up to it. "I will ride the wave even if I drown. I will work hard, whatever it takes,” she vowed. “And I hope one day,” she swallowed back more tears, “I might be able to help others do the same. I wish no one had to live with this.” With the declaration made, she poked a tiny hole in the cocoon that shrouded her and with it, a tiny pinprick of light shone through.
she/her

Esquire of The Mark
Disclaimer: Neither Ama nor me are in any way professionals

Amadhrill with @Lailyn, Edoras Infirmary[/b]

The hælend watched the tears that flowed down Lailyn's face, watched as the woman did not turn away and hide, but instead let the tears fall until they subsided naturally. So it was from the healers of Gondor that Lailyn had learned her trick. A small friendly smile entered her face. «It is one thing to leave the memories behind when you are far away, but it is quite another thing when everything around you reminds you of what happened. When everywhere you see is another memory...»

Again she listened, that was much of what she could do in these cases. Listen to the stories of old warriors so that they could get it out. And help them to make sense of it, and to teach them as well as she could, to find a way to live with the memories. But at the same time, protect herself and her own mind. That was one of the reasons she prefered her uniform as a hælend, the simple pinafore over her clothes worked as a shield. It was as if removing the pinafore removed most memories of the day as well, even though some days were harder to shake then others.

She listened to the hope that seemed to form in the mind of Lailyn and her smile was gentle and encouraging. «I think you are already on a good path, sweoster of the Westmark. The hælends of Gondor have thought you well, for what I can see, to find an anchor to hold onto when the waves come. Another trick is to look through it, shift your focus if you will.»

She paused, took a sip of the tea that was turning cold. «You know when you look at the sky through the branches of a tree, how you can see both the sky and the leaves, depending on your focus.» Ama's green eyes watched Lailyn carefully. «It is much the same you can do when you face a memory and feel the memory, move your focus back to the other things around you. Imagine that the memory is the tree and then let your focus go to those thing around you. If you understand what I mean?»

She smiled again. «You already have a few tricks that I hope will serve you, apart from that it is to talk. Talk and talk and talk. Until you can hopefully talk and think and remember it all. The pain and sorrow and feelings will always be there, but it will be easier to live with. But I think it is important to let yourself feel and remember the feelings, but without the feelings and memories taking over your life... And if you one day are able to take what you learn from this and help others... it would be a great thing.»
Hælend of Meduseld

Ent Ancient
Lailyn with @Amadhrill in the Edoras Infirmary
The hælend seemed to understand everything, even the idea that coming home had caused these things she had thought long put to rest to resurface once more. The uniformed soldiers around Edoras were a reminder of her old life and looking at them, she felt her own weakness reflected in their strength. What she failed to see until this very moment was that it had taken a different kind of strength to know when to walk away.

Lailyn listened to Amadhrill’s advice with rapt attention, her expression solemn and attentive, taking every word to heart. To shift your focus, Amadhrill said, like looking through the sky through the trees...She imagined the pair of apple trees that stood in front of her house, which would soon be bountiful with fruit, and nodded her head in understanding.

Though she made no specific comments about herself, Lailyn could tell that Amadhrill’s wisdom spoke volumes of the woman’s experiences. What resilience it must take to be a haelend-- to heal and to preserve life and to end it, too, when that was called for.

“Thank you for listening and understanding. I will try my best to shift my focus...next time it happens. But to talk…” The faintest thread of a smile appeared on her face, smoothing her features, but soon faded. “It comes easily to me most of the time, but this...this is different.” It was hard, as someone who readily trusted others, to hold back part of herself, but she tried to keep this trauma hidden. She did not honestly know who to tell nor to burden anyone else.

“It might help if I could talk with you again sometime if it would not be too much of a burden…” She requested, rather than ask forthright, for permission to visit the trusted hælend again. Lailyn held her cup in both hands and gave Amadhrill a small smile. “You see, you have gotten to the heart of my troubles before we’ve even finished our tea. That is no small feat. I have held these things close and quiet for a long time, and until now, you and I were strangers to one another." She paused to breathe in the soothing aroma and take a sip of tea before she finally relaxed into her chair.

“But for today, I’ve rather tired of talking about myself. If you would like to tell me of your own experiences in the cavalry, I will listen. You have called me a sweoster of the Westmark more than once now but I’m afraid I only remember your face from the Ældsel…” She said apologetically, trying to recall if they had served together. “Were you also a hælend in the Westmark?”
she/her

Esquire of The Mark

The hælend smiled softly, the mood in the room had turned lighter again, she could see that a wave had passed and hope that Lailyn was a little bit stronger and wiser and more prepared for the next wave that would come. «You are very welcome to return as often as you wish, in fact, I do hope you will return in a week or two and talk. Let me know how things are going and we can talk about some of your experiences. A little at a time. And if you need to talk to me before you are always welcome to find me here. If I am not here, there is always another hælend or assistant you can ask to send for me.»

Ama was grateful for the words, it was words like these, the feeling of having made a small difference and a dent in a heavy burden, that was one of the reasons she had returned when the call came. «Strangers and yet not.»

She laughed softly, drank the last of her cold tea and stood up. «I have served all the Eoreds at different times, but whether or not I have served in the Westmark with you, I must admit I have no recollection of, the faces and names and times are all mingled together and what feels like a life time has passed between my old life as a hælend of the Westmark and Eastmark, and now that a husband and family have made the Edoras eored my prefered place. Though I hail from the Eastmark and spent the majority of my first career there, if my memory of this is to be trusted, which I doubt.»

There was a glitter in her green eyes at the last words, memory is indeed a fickle thing and this she knew very well. She knew that the memories of others, stories that she had been told by fellow riders sometimes mingled and confused her own memories. She waited for Lailyn to stand up and follow her to the bright sunshine outside, it felt as if they had been seated and talking for hours, days even, but the sun outside told a different stories. She had only partly answered Lailyn's questions, Ama knew that well, and perhaps, over an ale in an Inn she would talk of some of her own experiences, the lighter ones, the funny histories of horrible camp food, merry songs, biletwidox, and happy times.
Hælend of Meduseld

Ent Ancient
After their discussion of this thing she was so afraid to acknowledge, Lailyn felt the air grow lighter and brighter around her. She felt perhaps a little stronger and a little less alone with someone to share her experiences with. Only a little, but it was a small step that took some courage that she didn’t know she had. She might have fought in battle and wielded a blade and faced enemies that would give no mercy. That had taken a different kind of courage.

“I cannot possibly tell you how much it means to me that you are willing to listen and talk to me again sometime…” It was true, she could not find the right words to express her relief and appreciation for Amadhrill’s generous offer as well as her understanding today. Lailyn knew if she tried, she would probably erupt in tears once more, so she left it at that. She hoped, and thought, the haelend would understand.

“Strangers and yet not,” Amdhrill’s word rang in her ears. It was true that it was possible to sit with a stranger and feel a connection with them. Her lips curled upward and this time, it seemed there was a true glimpse of gladness reflected in her eyes.

She followed suit, stood, and tucked her chair in. “I understand. While some of my memories are...regrettably unforgettable, other details seem to have faded over the years. Sometimes I think I see familiar faces, but I can’t always place where or when I might have met them. I have to say, I am so glad we have taken the time to talk to each other now. I thought I was simply dropping off some honey today, and going to the Dragon Room was hard enough, but this...well, you’ve given me something I did not realise I needed.”

They stepped outside, returning to the courtyard that she had been so leery of before. The warm sunlight seemed to hide any shadow, past or present, that might follow her, though they lurked everywhere and could swallow her up without warning. Today, now that she had offered and recognised the truth, the darkness felt far away.

“I hope to see you again outside of the Infirmary walls as well, and perhaps then we may talk about easier and happier things.” She had plenty of more pleasant stories, too. Lailyn stood a bit taller than before with a small weight lifted from her shoulders and offered Amadhrill an embrace before she left. “If there is anything else I can ever do for you, or your family, besides delivering honey, you only need to ask.”

The road would not be easy, but life was full of challenges and Lailyn was determined not to fall to them. With Amadhrill’s help, she felt a renewed sense of hope and confidence as she returned to her wagon and left the Courtyard behind.
she/her

High Warden of Tower
Dryhtguma Hadassa
Training Fields

As she did not have any duties for a while, Hadassa decided that this was a good time to practice handling a spear - she was still rather uncomfortable with the weapon and thought it unwieldy and encumbering the mobility. Yet she had asked around and talked with other more experienced cavalry members of how they use their spears, and now she meant to see if she could practice what she had learned.

Squinting in the bright midday sun the young woman walked into unto the training fields, spear pressed against her right shoulder. There were not many people training at this hour, as most were having a meal; Hadassa was glad for it since she did not want people to laugh at her attempts at handling spear.

The stance. Apparently the stance was important, or such an impression she had gotten from conversations. It should be steady and balanced enough to withstand attacks without being toppled over. Well, she had not asked anyone to spar with her and test her stability, but maybe next time... Choosing a place near the furthest edge of the field, Hadassa shifted the spear to hold it horizontally, both palms facing up and inwards towards each other, as she moved her left foot forward, angled the right foot outwards and dropped in something similar to a crouch.

Several times she shuffled forward and back again, thrusting the spear forward menacingly (or so she thought), and then pulling it back closer to herself as she moved backwards. She repeated this drill until she felt reasonably comfortable and sure that she would not lose her footing.

Then she proceeded to practice another drill, stepping sideways with her left foot and bringing the spear in front of her diagonally as if she were blocking an incoming blow. Immediately after that she moved back into her initial stance, and then repeated the same movements several more times, switching randomly between raising her spear high, low or in the middle to block the imaginary attacks.

Having completed this, Hadassa let the butt end of the spear rest on the ground, as she straightened up and thought of what else she could be doing to practice the skills.

Knight of The Mark
This thread will close on SUNDAY, so finish up the storyline you have going, and stay tuned for a training activity that will be starting up shortly after!
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!