Mettarë Feast

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Master Torturer
Edda and Æric

Edda lapped up the attention the stunning elf gave her. Eyes wide, smile bright she could not stop bouncing as he opened the puzzle box and revealed the hair pins. But when he pulled the ribbon from his hair and put one of her father's hand made pins in his hair instead she squealed and clapped her hands. She had never met a man with as long hair as him and definitely not one that would wear a hair pin. But as expected it only made him look even more radiant and she even made sure to pull him closer so that she could see it before he returned his attention back to her father and began inquiring about getting more of the boxes.

Instantly bored, she turned her attention back to the food on the table. While the two men spoke, missing how her father began babbling and stuttering at the thought of having to make more of the boxes, she neared a plate filled with pastries and cakes.

"Ooooh.. wow.." She quickly looked back at her father, but seeing that he had gone bright red and was still babbling, she turned back to a huge cream filled pastry and ran her finger over it and scooped up a huge glob of it. It quickly made it into her mouth and she hummed with glee as it was as sweet as she thought it would be. Grabbing the whole pastry, the powdered sugar instantly coating her hand, she took a huge bite. Whipped cream, powered sugar and some kind of red jam could be seen all around her mouth as she happily chewed on the huge bite. That it was meant to be eaten with a plate and a fork was completely lost on her as she took another bite, her breath making the powdered sugar puff out in front of her. She snorted in surprise and caused more of a puff and lost it. Laughing, it was all she could do not to choke on it and it instantly gained the attention of her father.

"Edda!" Æric exclaimed and sidestepped the elf to get to his daughter. Taking the pastry from her hand, he carefully rubbed her back and made sure she could breathe before turning back to Erniel. "Sorry about that.. children.." he said with an exasperated chuckle as if the elf would know what he was talking about.

Ent Ancient
Lailyn
Lailyn was surprised when Yoshiyo began jotting down notes. She did not think anything she had to say was of any real interest or importance, especially to a scholar. If she were to pick someone to represent the Mark for some kind of recordkeeping, it would certainly not be herself, but someone with those qualities valued by the Rohirrim. Things like courage, valour, honour. She had no chance to say as much, though, and soon forgot amid talk of bee-beards and fart kittens, at which she could not possibly hold back her laughter.

“I don’t think I am quite brave enough to try a bee beard and I wouldn’t wish one on anyone else!” Her shoulders still shook with delight. “I have no trade secrets yet...mostly it is just honey and water, and a great deal of patience.”

After they toasted, only a swill of wine remained at the bottom of her own glass; it was disappearing at rather a faster rate than she intended, swept away by the festive mood as she was. “Ah well, don’t worry, there is plenty more waiting to fill your cup again!” She exclaimed even as she slid her own glass a bit further out of reach, intending to slow down. It was already warming her insides and a few more glasses would likely see her far more effusive than usual.

Perhaps she was not the only one. Asking about her studies brought out an exuberant light in Yoshiyo and though there was a somewhat overwhelming flutter of pages and information to digest, Lailyn was drawn in, more by the passion on display than the subject itself. She slid her chair closer and studied the lines as Yoshiyo drew them. It sounded tremendously interesting, but well outside her own realm of knowledge and she felt a bit out of her depth. The idea that every language linked back to a single one was hard to wrap her head around.

One thing intrigued her more than the rest.

“Ruins in the White Mountains?” Her hazel eyes widened a fraction. “That sounds like quite an interesting adventure!” For a moment, she was quiet as she contemplated the whole thing. “I’m no scholar and I don’t know much about languages or history, but the idea that there could be secrets hiding in the ruins is fascinating. I have done some travelling and seen some historic places, well, by my standards, anyway, and all this time, I had no idea there were such things so close to home!” she exclaimed.

“Yoshiyo, you should tell everyone you meet tonight. You never know who might be interested in joining your expedition. If you need any help finding the right people, you will let me know, won’t you?”

Arien
Arien
Silizlîn

Hopefully, she tapped the bottom of her bottle. A few more droplets spattered out onto her waiting tongue, but that was all. Shrugging, Sil tossed the bottle over her shoulder, where it stunned an entirely innocent passer-by. Her eyes glazed over with pleasant memories and the contents of the bottle.

“Ah yes, the summer fest,” she mused happily. “What a glorious spectacle that was, especially the bit where everything caught fire. Too much to hope for again, I expect. But I’ll certainly take your wager!”

Her eyes tracked the hall: ostensibly looking for the mysterious Eomund, but in fact looking for more drinkables. She stretched out an arm and yoinked a foaming tankard off a passing tray.

“Hmm, what do I have to bet,” Sil said thoughtfully, taking a sip of the mead and digging in her many pockets with her spare hand. Her questing fingers discovered the following:

1) Three sets of dice, all loaded
2) small bird skull, clean
3) Handkerchief, not clean
4) Mysterious bracelet
5) Leather pouch full of curious dried mushrooms
6) Hipflask 1
7) Dagger, leather bound
8) String
9) Hipflask 2
10) Rude drawing of Lord of the Nazgûl

Alas, there was absolutely no money, Silizlîn being a) heavily in debt to any pub she came across and b) a fan of the bartering system.

“Fancy anything you see?” she asked Nymlac, sweetly.
cave anserem

Black Númenórean
Erniel

The ellon, giddy with delight at receiving such a fine gift and the attention of the adorable Edda, grinned from ear to ear. His expression softened, though, when Æric became visibly flustered at the request to share his craftsmanship with the wider world. “Ahh, not to worry!” Erniel reassured him. If he’d been a bit more familiar with the man, he would’ve clapped him bracingly on the shoulder. “I certainly don’t mean to intrude! If ever you decide you’d like to share your talents beyond the borders of Rohan, though, I would consider myself lucky to assist you.”

Suddenly, from behind him, Edda broke out coughing. With each cough, a burst of fine powdery sugar flew into the air. Each looked almost like the puffs of Erniel’s own misty breath outside on this cold night. Having recently recovered from his own coughing fit, Erniel smiled compassionately and winked at her. “Ah, it’s most understandable,” he said to Æric. “I myself had some trouble with some hwitsceo earlier!”

Erniel crouched down once more to speak with the little girl. “It looks like you just enjoyed quite a delicious morsel!” He grinned down at the white streaks of sugar on Edda’s little hand. “Can you please show me where I can get one of those, Edda?”
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Balrog

”Patience, eh?” Yoshiyo broke into a knowing grin, placed a finger on her chin, and rolled her eyes toward the ceiling. “I know a bit about that. And I bet you do have some secrets.” The young elf winked in the most obvious fashion she could then took another from the still empty mug. “Well dammit!” she laughed, “that ruined the whole suave façade I was going for!” She looked from the tables bedecked with food and drink then back at her table, and chewed her lip. Was it worth grabbing another mug? Yoshiyo snorted to herself, oh for sure! “I’m going to get some more to drink, I think. Oh, and to eat. I am as famished as a weasel in a grain barrel, dontcha know. Can I get you anything?” Before Lailyn had a chance to answer, the quick footed, strangely nimble (especially being a bit tipsy) elf bounded to the table, grabbed two mugs of something fluffy with whipped cream (hwitsceo), angled them under her arms and then grabbed two plates, balancing one of them in the crook of her elbow, both filled with roast boar, maple glazed carrots, stuffing, and buttery rolls.

Yoshiyo wobbled a bit as she whirled back around, very nearly teetering over as she did. She recovered just in time not to dump the entirety of the food and drink she somehow managed to balance on her gangly limbs. She broke into a nearly uncontrollable giggle when she realized just how close she’d come to spilling everything and crashing into the table. With practiced elven smoothness (something she’d never really had that much time to practice), Yoshiyo glided (or more accurately bounced) her way back to the table with Lailyn where she then proceeded to, with expert dexterity, lay out the food and drink between their two spots.

Where were they again? Oh right! Yoshiyo took a long, deep draft of her newly refilled beverage and set it down with a dramatic flourish. “Oh now that hits the spot and no mistake! Lindon has such boring wines. You’d think for a race of beings that live… well forever, we’d have had time to make a really, really good one, but the only wine elves have ever made that is worth the time it takes to recover from the hangover is Old Dorwinion. But that stuff’s rare, made in Mirkwood in relatively small quantities. I am going to need to take a barrel or two of this... hwitsceo... with me to the site. So delicious!”

The young elleth brightened with an air of mischief and thoughtfulness while Lailyn interviewed for a job on the excavation site without knowing it. Pretending to be coy and dainty, she sliced off a tiny piece (the size that would make all the nannies, governesses, and matrons proud) and ate it almost as if she was ignoring Lailyn. The illusion only last three chews before Yoshiyo’s eyes bulged and her smile stretched over her suntanned features. “No scholar! Well that’s a load of malarkey and no mistake! Oh you betcha! I think you’d be perfect to act a liaison!” she wiped the pork grease that dribbled down her chin a bit. “I think a Rohir should be involved in all the decisions that we make on the site, one that understands more about the potential cultural value of the things we might find on the site, one that can tell us if we aren’t being sensitive to those values. I think you’d be perfect for that role!” She grinned and scooted her chair just a little closer to Lailyn’s. “Oh please say you’ll at least consider it. If I get the role as lead, I’ll need someone like you with me to make sure I don’t muck about and make a fool of myself. I can be quite prone to that, oh you betcha. And I plan on talking to a few people here tonight that I think might be interested, do you really think a lot of them here would consider it? Oh that would make a lot of logistics easier, no lyin’. If we could get at least part of our supplies from local workers and craftsmen, that would not only cut down on traveling expenses, but we could gage interest in the project itself!”

The elleth leaned in a little closer, looking the young Rohir directly in the eyes with a pleading look she’d learned from fostering puppies, “I know we’ve only just met,” she blushed, her cheeks turning a ruddy color. “but I can tell that you and your traveling experience (as limited as you claim it is) are just what I was hoping for. Oh please say you’ll consider it, please!”
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Ent Ancient
Lailyn
A who-knows-how-old elf had just waited on her at a Mettare feast. The evening was certainly going to be memorable. It all happened so quickly it had Lailyn wondering if the wine had slowed her reaction that much. She would have jumped up to assist Yoshiyo with the precarious plates, but did not want to disturb her concentration, so she sat very, very still and waited for everything to land safely.

“Um, thank you…you didn’t have to...” Her quiet words were lost beneath Yoshiyo’s praise for the hwitsceo. Against her better judgment, she finished her wine before moving on to the foaming ale. Life was short (the word ‘forever’ reminded her) and Mettare was once a year.

A slice into the boar sent a flood of juices to soak into the stuffing Lailyn tucked into with relish. The Rohirric delicacy of roast boar was worth savouring as something she did not eat often. The suggestion of making her, Lailyn, a liaison to this endeavour made her pause. She looked up sharply, caught the grease dribbling down the elleth’s chin, and frowned. Not for the lack of decorum which she couldn't care less about, but for the request that had been made.

She was torn between insisting no, you’ve got the wrong person, surely someone else could do a better job, I’m not up to the task...and rushing to agree with an emphatic yes! One of her weaknesses was her inability to refuse anyone who asked for help. For a moment, she felt the pressure of Yoshiyo sitting close and waiting for her response. The way she asked, the way Yoshiyo’s eyes grew round and bright with hope, it was impossible to find the word no. It would be an adventure close to home, something new. Lailyn set down her cutlery and gave the elleth her full attention.

“I would love to help you,” she said truthfully. “And I hope others do, too. I will think about it,” she finally decided, then cleared her throat. “But you should know, I am quite good at making a fool of myself, too. I’m not sure you should count on me being any help with that.” Lailyn gave her a wry, self-effacing grin even though there’d been some serious moments in her life when she had felt very foolish indeed. She sipped some ale and ran her fingers up and down the handle. “In fact, I’m sure I’ll probably manage to do so tonight,” she confided. “But if I agree to come, I’d do my best.”
----

Nymlac
Nymlac chugged more wine in an attempt to keep up with Sil. He nearly drowned himself in the process of emptying his bottle. Fortunately, he managed it without staining his beautiful new green shirt with a single speck of red.

His new friend became more and more curious to him as the night wore on. Instead of wagering money, she offered a variety of strange and interesting items. He leaned in to inspect them and stifled a snort at the crude drawing. Asked if he fancied anything he saw, he gave her a look that plainly said he certainly fancied one thing in particular: her.

But ack! His attempt to woo a lady at the Summer Festival had been doused! (Literally, by the jug of water the woman spilled on his head.) Could he pull a page from his cousin’s playbook and try for--gasp--honesty? The idea was as foreign to him as the sequined Easterling herself.

Well, here goes nothing. He gave it his best shot. “I see many things I fancy, Sil, but one shines brighter than the rest this evening. I regret I did not make your acquaintance this summer.” How had he possibly missed her? “As for the wager,” he continued smoothly, “I would choose the mushrooms, and share them with you if they have, ah, curious side-effects. I fear all I have to bet are some coins and this ring.” He held up his fist, cane in hand, and a golden ring with knots woven together to form a band glinted and winked at Sil, but only half as much as Nymlac’s blue eyes.

Master Torturer
Edda and Æric

Edda had no understanding for how mortified her father was, giving the elf a wide and sticky grin as he asked for one of the pastries as well. "Right here!" She said with unbridlened enthusiasm as she pointed at the tray that held two more. Her father still had his hand on her back, watching with embarassment as Edda pointed out the pastry and trying to figure out what to do with the one he had taken from her.

Looking around he searched for a plate to deposit it on to, realising that his hand was going to be coated in powered sugar and whipped cream when he set it down. Flustered and unable to figure out how to juggle Edda, the pastry, the gift and trying to keep up some kind of decorum around an elf he looked like he was going to run away in panic. This was way too much attention for the quiet introvert and with several excuses towards the elf (and the potential business partner!) he awkwardly dropped the pastry onto a nearby plate, not even knowing if it was someone elses.

"I uh, we uh need to umm wash up I think.." looking down at his sticky hand and then Edda's sticky face, he tried to figure out where there would be some water so they could wash themselves. For some odd reason he hoped that Lailyn wasn't looking his way and that she wouldn't see what a mess they had caused.

Arien
Arien
Silizlîn

Nymlac was almost keeping up with her. What a champ - if he was drinking just to keep pace with her, he was clearly a very obliging fellow; if he genuinely had a thirst, he was clearly a drunk and therefore Sil’s type of person (i.e. one to get thrown out of establishments with). He was managing to stay neat and tidy despite the impressive amounts of wine he was guzzling - more so than could be said of Silizlîn, who, despite her snazzy outfit, was becoming increasingly wild-haired. Perhaps she should’ve braided it, but that was so time-consuming and demanded so much attention and dexterity that Sil just didn’t have, not when well sloshed, at any rate. She attempted a cheeky wink which just gave the impression that she was about to suffer a fit as both her eyelids spasmed alarmingly.

“Did you really not see me this summer? I was center stage,” quoth Sil dreamily, describing a full circle as though she were pirouetting and tapping the top of her head. “I won the whole prize, although...” she cast her eyes downwards, slowly, one of them perhaps even more slowly than the other - “not in this form, I suppose. I used to be... taller.”

In fact, Sil’s previous body had suffered a tragic accident so common to those dwelling in Mordor; namely, a meaningless stabbing followed by absolutely no justice whatsoever.

“Certainly,” she accepted Nymlac’s wager with increased enthusiasm, reaching out to brush his hand (and fondle the gold). “My, I had no idea you were a man of wealth and status!”

She tried to lean forward winningly and fell into a table.

“I’m not even drunk yet,” complained Sil, convincingly. “I’m just not yet used to these legs.”

Now to find Eomund...
cave anserem

Knight of The Mark
Oookay, given we are now getting into spring, we're gonna close this thread, so get your last posts in, wrap things up, say goodbye, grab your cloaks and horses, and head on home. This thread will close on SUNDAY.
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Ent Ancient
Nymlac
Having finished his first bottle of wine, he speedily plucked a second one and popped it open. He blinked vaguely at Sil when she announced her championship at the Summer Festival. Even if he wracked his brain at the best of times (and let’s face it, this was not the best of times for his brain at least), he would not have been able to remember her. But then, he had only attended the Campian and she certainly hadn’t won that…

“There, there,” he consoled her, having heard or understood only half of what she said in his drunken haze. “You’re plenty tall enough…”

“Wealth and status? Yes, that’s right…” He grinned. Nymlac had never been described as such, and likely never would be. “We're agreed! I will see you after midnight then.” It was as close to a promise as he would ever make.

He felt himself spinning on air at her compliments and he floated away to sit down, rest his leg, and drown himself in more sweet wine before the night ended.

Lailyn
The more Lailyn thought about this little adventure, the more she wanted to be part of it. She would not jump to a decision, but after finishing her meal, she told Yoshiyo she was seriously considering it. The elleth was good company and Lailyn was already looking forward to getting a chance to talk with her more, and perhaps learn more about her studies.

Yoshiyo, it has been wonderful talking to you. I do hope we meet again!” She glanced around at the party-goers and leant toward the elleth to speak quietly. “I’ll see what I can do about getting folk involved. But first, I’m going to rally them for fun in the snow before it all melts. Come out and join in!” With that, Lailyn politely excused herself and began to make her way toward the door.

Spying the one who made the suggestion, Lailyn paused to ask, “Fuin, do you think it’s a good time for that snowball fight? I’m going to head out and I think I know someone who might rather enjoy it…” With a mischievous grin, she sidled toward Æric and Edda, who seemed to be having a small dilemma on their hands.

“Do you need a hand?” She offered, holding out her palm to take something while assessing the little girl's sugar-and-jam laden fingers. “You know I farm honey for a living, so it’ll take more than sticky hands to scare me away!” She assured Æric with a twinkle in her eyes. “I thought I might go play in the snow and I couldn’t think of anyone who might like that better than you, Edda!" It seemed a nice way to cap off the night.

Master Torturer
Æric and Edda

By the Valar! Æric flushed a brighter red when Lailyn of all people walked over and offered to help, looking down at Edda with exasperation as she began licking her sticky fingers. "I uhhh.. I.. we.. I um think we uh need to wash our hands.." he stuttered as he looked around to see if there were any wash basins around. Scratching at the side of his head with his clean hand, he raised the sticky one and licked a small smudge of jam off before he realised he was doing what Edda was doing. Mortified he quickly stopped, though Edda's sudden outburst was enough to distract anyone's attention.

"Yessss! Please Papa!? Please can we go play in the snow?? Please please pleeeease??"

Gawking at his daughter and then at Lailyn, he looked completely out of sorts before he cleared his throat. "Uh.. sure.." His words were immediately drowned out by Edda's excited squeal, making it impossible for him not to smile. "But! We need to wash our hands first." He said more sternly, as he leaned down to grab his daughter's wrist gently so that he could lead her.

"Would you know where we can wash our hands?" He asked of Lailyn, still embarassed that she had caught them being this messy, trying hard to keep a hold of Edda as she bounced up and down while excitedly chattering about having a snowfight with an elf.

Ent Ancient
Lailyn
It was hard not to notice the way his cheeks coloured at her approach, but most of her attention went to Edda, who was busy cleaning her fingers in her own fashion. Lailyn bit back an amused grin at the sight of Æric lifting his own finger to his lips. Edda’s squeal was impeccably timed so as to save her spluttering any sort of comment that most likely would have been embarrassing and suitably distracted her from watching too closely. A flurry of thoughts swirled around her mind amid a pleasant hum of wine and ale. For a moment, she was lost in all the merriment (and perhaps admittedly a bit distracted by the smile lighting up Æric’s face) until his request spurred her to focus.

“Um, washing up, yes...” she murmured. “I think there’s a wash basin on the way out by the cloaks and things. I try to remember these things as I’m quite good at making messes myself, though I seem to have managed to avoid it so far tonight…” She mused, glancing down at her dress and smoothing it with an absent-minded hand. How she had possibly managed that was something of a miracle.

With a tilt of her head toward the exit that sent a cascade of golden hair over one shoulder, she beckoned them along with a smile. “Come with me! I’ll show you where it is. Then let’s see about making some snowballs!” She laughed as she led them along toward the wash basin and exit.

Above the pale blanket of snow, the starlit sky glittered and reflected in her crinkling eyes as she took in the scene and settled her gaze on the father and daughter. Tonight, more than ever, the two of them seemed like such a perfect, happy family, and the thought kindled a warmth within her even on this cold night. Wrapped in the pleasant blanket of the evening’s festivity, her worries had melted away and were entirely forgotten. Lailyn wished nights like this would never end.

Master Torturer
Æric and Edda

He had only heard of incidents of time standing still, or slowing down. He had attributed it to the fancy of young people in love and how they exaggerated everything. But here he was, finger paused near his lips, eyes wide with wonder as he watched Lailyn smooth her dress and then flick her gorgeous hair over one slender shoulder as if time had slowed down so that he could take in every minute detail of the woman before him. Even his vision seemed to narrow in to where all he could see was her, every detail standing out clearly like the shine of her hair, the exquisite detail of her form-fitting dress, to the sparkle in her eyes and how her laugh made his insides flutter.

But all too soon the reverie was shattered by his daughter's excited squeal, Æric visibly jumping as if he had been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Going bright red, he blinked furiously, removing the finger from his mouth and spluttering out a small cough of embarassment, hoping Lailyn had not caught him staring. Seriously, what was wrong with him. They had not even really spoken, apart from the passing greetings when seeing each other at the Marketplace and here he was acting like a lovesick teen. Lovesick? No, surely not. His brows creased as he followed his daughter, who had run ahead to where Lailyn said they could wash their hands. Walking behind them both, he let his eyes flick up, catching how the light flickered in Lailyn's hair as she too followed Edda. He felt a jolt in his stomach and paused for a second, face growing even more red as he realised what it meant. How? He had walled up his heart the day that his wife betrayed him, only ever allowing Edda inside.

Yet here he was, able to feel his heartbeats that raced every time he looked at Lailyn. "Grow up Æric.." he growled to himself. "She likely has no interest being with a guy who is still technically married." Reaching Edda, he bent down to help her, or more likely prevent her from getting herself all wet, relieved he could hide his crestfallen face as he busied himself. He continued to try and get a hold of himself as he got Edda back into her cloak before putting on his thick sweater. But it seemed that no matter what he did, he was doomed to fail, because as soon as he stepped outside and took a deep breath of the crisp night air, he looked towards Lailyn who had looked over towards him and Edda. Stopping in his tracks, barely aware that Edda had
pulled her hand out of his and had run over to make the snowballs, he was caught by the content look on Lailyn's face, the stars sparkling in her eyes. At that moment all he could think of was kissing her.