Command Tent III - Cavalry OOC Thread

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
High Warden of Tower
@Shivased It is good to hear that your hand is on the mend! And do take care of everything else that needs dealing with, plaza is still here. ;) I might post somewhere and see if some activity can be inspired.

Balrog
Hey everyone, just wanted a quick word, if you don't mind, re: the new Cav Pub. One of the rules is "3.) Only members of the Cavalry post in here, please -- trainees are included as members, for pub purposes."

Which makes me wander, can I make up a character and say they are part of the Cav for the purposes of fulfilling that rule without the whole process of getting approved by people? Or would I still have to go through all the processes again just to write a particular story/character I wanted to play with?

With the Plaza becoming as small and insular as it is, the latter feels quite gatekeep-y and contrary to the nature of the Plaza.

Thoughts?
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

High Lord of Imladris
Technically Fuin has no memories atm of being in the Cavalry until we go through the court marshall/marshal? I know we hare just having the relaxing stuff right now so I'll likely stay out of it until unless we don't want to do that anymore?

High Warden of Tower
@Al-Masih ad-Dajjal , I think there was a 'usual' pub somewhere, perhaps hidden on the second page, perhaps another option? (Both pubs seem to be quiet though) :wink:

For all other purposes, my thoughts are that no matter how small the Plaza is, there should be enough room for all sorts of people, even those of us who prefer structured and organised threads, and not free ones only. I don't really see such diversity as contrary to the nature of the Plaza; when there's a variety of threads, people can choose which ones they prefer to participate in. Besides, each TR/GM has the right to create a specific set of house rules for their own threads, and then change those as they see fit. That said, I believe that though we can suggest stuff for Cav, it is ultimately up to the Cav thread runners to decide what to do with those suggestions.

Balrog
While I wouldn't call 2-4 people still relatively active on the Plaza "diversity" (actually it feels exactly the opposite) I do want to respect the TR wishes, which is why I brought it up. I wanted to use a character I could say was in the Cav without going through the whole processes of training, etc. since technically I already have a character that did all of that (one that subsequently left).

However, you are right. Ultimately it is up to the TR to decide and should that be the case, I will simply not follow through with my idea and do it elsewhere. No harm, no foul.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Knight of The Mark
@Al-Masih ad-Dajjal For the purposes of the pub, go right ahead. I'd rather see people posting in there, than it sit vacant. I just ask that you keep the character you create a basic rank and stick to RPing in the pub, no other Cavalry threads. Unless of course you want to join the Cavalry, then go ahead and join up in the Dragon Room and we can start your training!
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Balrog
Thank you so much @Shivased! I promise* to abide by your rules and make sure this guy's not too high in the ranks (and by the time I write him up you'll probably be glad of that).

*well maybe, we'll have to see how devious and insidious I'm feeling

Istari Sage
I’m thinking about writing some Rohirrim cavalry RP posts and as such I’d be interested that character joining the cavalry (not Romeran). But because I’d like to also like to possibly write some flashback RP to them fighting in the war of the ring, they would technically already be part of the cavalry in some capacity (or at least would have been during the war) — they wouldn’t need any particular rank. But then perhaps it wouldn’t make too much sense to join as a trainee? Sorry if I missed some rules somewhere. Seems like @Shivased would be the person to answer?

Knight of The Mark
@Romeran You're welcome to join the Cavalry with a Rohirric character. Just post in the DR asking to join! You can also RP flashbacks if you want in non-cavalry threads without being in the Cavalry, you just couldn't do them in Cavalry threads until the character joins. If that makes sense? You can join as a trainee, and RP as a returning soldier who took some years off after the war. It would completely be up to you.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Istari Sage
Thanks @Shivased I went ahead and wrote up a post in the Dragon Room with my character reporting back for duty after taking some time off after the war. Let me know how I should proceed :smile:

Knight of The Mark
Great! I will get a post up for you this weekend!
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Arien
Arien
@Shivased along similar lines to @Nathicana I’d also like to make up a fresh Cav character for the pub. I did *have* rank in the Cav back in the day but I’m just not totally feeling that character at the moment - what are the rules on porting experience over?
cave anserem

Istari Sage
:hobbyhorse: return of the cavalry anyone?

Balrog
It would certainly be amusing if the Cav was now made up of almost no actual Rohir

Istari Sage
Who are you calling "not actually Rohir"? :rasp: It's not my fault I like this fancy wizard hat.

Balrog
*EYES you*

Arien
Arien
I can be a Rohir anytime I want. Or not. It’s so easy now I can just click to change…
cave anserem

Balrog
We all know the truth Sil, we all know the truth. You can dress up in a pretty horse or sparkling glass, but we know, we know.

Master Torturer
Love your disguises Sil <3

Knight of The Mark
@Silky Gooseness Porting experience is fine, it'd be kinda the same - re-join as a former Cav. member, with whatever former role you want (within reason, no marshal or anything like that unless that character was actually a marshal.). Do some brief re-training, all of that fun stuff. That's about it.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

High Warden of Tower
Just a note: I will get back into cav pub! Just... gathering my wits about me for a bit, is all. Have not gone missing altogether! :)

Balrog
The barbarians are inside the gates!

Knight of The Mark
@Romeran your post is up in the Dragon Room! Sorry for the delay!
@Pele Alarion No rush, take your time! We're pretty quiet right now and the pub isn't going anywhere.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Istari Sage
Thanks @Shivased ! I'll work on a reply.

In the post you instruct my rider to to to the Cavalary Courtyard. Is that This Thread? I noticed in the last post it says "This thread will close on SUNDAY, so finish up the storyline you have going, and stay tuned for a training activity that will be starting up shortly after!" but perhaps that's simply old news and I should go ahead and post there? Or did you plan on opening a new courtyard thread?

Knight of The Mark
@Romeran Oops. I was supposed to open a new Courtyard AGES ago! I thought I had, but guess not. HERE is the new link! Just Post in the training grounds area and the Larmagister will join you!

Istari Sage
Awesome thanks @Shivased! I'll post something up this weekend hopefully :hobbyhorse:

Knight of The Mark
@Romeran your post is up in the DR and Courtyard. Sorry it took so long, Hand issues mean I have to sometimes choose between things I do on computer, and this week had to go to work stuff. But now I get to play!

@Silky Gooseness your post is up in DR too!
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Knight of The Mark
ALL Cavalry:

1. With recent events and how slow things are, the Cavalry Code of Conduct and Rider Handbook and everything has been put on hold. What I'm going to do is take it all and create smaller lists of "rules" and "Cavalry Equipment" and "Rank Descriptions" and that kind of thing.

The big question for this: What does everyone want in it? A thread here in Rohan with each list in a separate post is how I will do it, that can be locked so nobody posts in it. But I would like to know what Cavalry information people think is most important so that I can get that up first, as I am sometimes limited in how much typing I can do so want to prioritize things.

2. Ideas for Cavalry activities. We've had training exercises, a crazy exercise that turned into a battle, etc. Are people up for an activity and what type, or do we just want to settle with the pub for now and see how things go?

3. I've included everyone currently in the Cavalry or in training on this post, so please confirm if you are still active or if you wish to be taken off the active list. If I've added you and you have already retired, just ignore me. It's been a struggle to keep track of everything!

@Pele Alarion @Frost @Fuin Elda @Kirinki @Amadhrill @Dimcairien Luiniel @Eldrith @Aethelu @Éolath @corlisswyn @Taethowen @Fairy Nuff @Allacan ob Burzum
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Istari Sage
@Shivased no worries about any delay, I hope your hands are doing well!

1. I’d probably keep this as minimal as possible so that you can prioritize RP with your time :smile: but cavalry equipment and ranks and maybe something on training expectations could serve useful if you were going to put something together.

2. I would definitely be up for some activity of any type really whatever sounds like the most fun to others but a good ol’ fashion fight is always fun.

3. Feel free to add me to the list with Garberend as my character

High Lord of Imladris
@Shivased I am not terribly active atm I do like the idea of a short form of ranks rules and equipment I'm not sure if it needs to be a second thread or if it's a small enough list just having it as a second post in say the 2nd post in say the OOC thread or the Dragon room something like that (or even in the OP)

2. Fuin is awaiting Court Marshall on her 'abandonment' of her post if we want to do that still I'm absolutely still up for that if you want a less standard activity that doesn't need a new thread as it could be done in the Dragon Room. If we dont' want to do this I could pretend she's been courtmarshalled.

3. Fuin is technically not active but I'm all for her staying on the list - but post court marshall she could be I suppose? I suppose it is a case of how we handle suggestion for #2.
Sereg a Dîn

Arien
Arien
@Shivased, I’d like to be put on the list. I’m also up for any sort of training /activity game. I’m going to start Riddermark Polo as a game soon but it’s not particularly cavalry based, although I was thinking it is teams-based (it will require 2 teams per chukka)
cave anserem

Balrog
1) An informed list of ranks and such would be nice, written minimalistically so neither the reader nor the writer feel too overwhelmed by the info. As far as rules themselves, a pairing down from the original list to the ones that might actually effect writing and such would be good. As I recall, there were a lot of rules and regulations that seemed a bit draconian, letting everyone be a bit freer might work into everyone's benefit.

2) Following something Rome and I are doing over in Mordor, why not allow members to make up a mission or two for themselves? Let them go off and write an adventure or investigation or whatnot and report back and gain some sort of renown while they're at it? This way we won't need big Cavalry RPGs that require constant attention from several people to move forward. Not to say big Cavalry RPGs are bad or there should be any in the future. Also games, like the one Sil is planning on running, could be a great way to have Cav involved but not running the show.

3) Walpurga is AWOL and there's no real chance of catching her, Andrādan is around but he's a colossal bastard, I might need to make a fresh faced freckly Rohir to play games or participate in stuff

High Warden of Tower
*finally reports in*

1) A smaller list would be good for reference; I'm not sure anything really big is needed when there are just a few people around for the time being.

2) Activity, big or small, would be great, and I'll see where I can join in.

3) Here and doing my best to stay active!

Ent Ancient
@Shivased, not being an active Cavalry member, I'm going to leave it to those who are participating. thanks for asking!

Elven Enchanter
@Shivased Hey, so I still exist. Life got in the way the last few months between COVID, work/commute, and just general mehness. I'm now working at a place that is 15 minutes from my house, so hopefully that means I'll have more energy/brain space for plaza stuff as I would like to get back into things.

1. Probably best to keep things at a minimum. Like lots of other folk have said, a quick reference list seems to be where it's at.

2. I think I could manage an activity now that is somewhat flexible with the posting timeline. Pubs are also lots of fun. It'll take me a bit to get back into Eomund's head and figure out what's going on with him now, that's for sure

3.Yes, I want to plan on being active again.