Dragon Room III - A New Dawn

Where now are the horse and rider? In here, probably.
Knight of The Mark
A
Atop a high hill overlooking Edoras, opposite the Golden Hall, an imposing building stands guard over the city. Three flags - red, blue and green - fly from the battlements. At the top of the steps soldiers stand guard on either side of an ornately carved door.
Inside the building is lit by torches on the walls. At the far end of the hall is a raised dais with three chairs where the Marshals Sit. Behind each chair is draped a flag of each Eored, and behind that doors lead into three offices, one for each marshal. Sperewigends move about taking messages and running errands, while more guards stand inside the doors and at either end of the dais. There is an air of formality and movement to the hall that, while intimidating to those who have never experienced it before, is comfortable and familiar to those who have.

It is immediately noticeable upon entering the Dragon Room that a few things have changed. Though the colours of each eored hang behind the marshal's chairs, as usual, it is only the First Marshal who sits there. The other two chairs are noticeably absent. A look at the roster shows fewer names, and only one eored - MEDUSLED - listed, though the names on it are those from all three eoreds. No longer will all three eoreds be run out of the Dragon Room on a regular basis, it seems. Here, business is conducted for those who, regardless of eored, are assigned to duty in Edoras, seconded to the Medusled Eored from their own, to serve the king in Rohan's capitol city. It is a change that won't affect day-to-day Cavalry activity, but is a big change for those used to it otherwise.

Trainees

Leave of Absence:
Taethowen, Eldrith, Gwai, Allacan, Elarith

Welcome to the Cavalry HQ. This is a place for all Cavalry related questions, which will be fielded by the Marshals of the Mark. It is also a place to come if you wish to join the Cavalry.
Those wishing to join the Cavalry, please approach the Marshals IC (In-character) and request permission.
For former Cavalry members wishing to re-join, please approach the Marshals and request permission, including your former position/rank and Éored in your post.

Some basic Cavalry Guidelines:
~Each Cavalry Member is allowed a Main Character and a Secondary Character. No more than 2 characters are allowed.
~Members of other kingdoms are welcome to join the Cavalry but it is preferred their Cavalry character is Rohirric (or at least Human)
~Characters must be 16 or older IC in order to join the Cavalry.
~Ranking officers in the Cavalry (Aethelwigend and above) are expected to reply to Cavalry posts within 7 days, unless arranged otherwise with the Marshal team.

a
a

Helpful Links:
Oath of the Cavalry
Command Tent (Cavalry OOC)
Cavalry Courtyard

a
a

Thread Rules:
~Please keep your posts IC, and at least 200 characters long.
~Any OOC comments/questions please blank out at the bottom of your post Like this: OOC (change the text colour to white so you can’t see it)
~For those already in the Cavalry, please post in your Éored colours. BLUE (#000080)for Eastmark, GREEN (#008000) for Meduseld, RED (#BF0000) for Westmark.
~No Godmoding.
~Cavalry business only please.
First Marshal of the Mark
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Istari Sage

Garberend
Re-enlisting in the Cavalry
@Shivased

Mud splattered up Garberend's boots as he walked up the stairs towards the Dragon Room. It had been a long ride from the far reaches of the Westfold to Edoras and Garberend had traveled with more haste than he had perhaps needed to. Once he had made his mind up to do something, Garberend was difficult to sway otherwise and loth to put off the task any longer than necessary. So it was that almost within the hour of decided that he would return to serve in the cavalry had Garberend left the fields where he had been working as a stable-hand and herder to make for Edoras. Garberend had served in the Westmark Éored during the War when he was a younger man. But he had taken the offer to retire at its conclusion, believing that he desired a more peaceful life after what he had witnessed. He had been wrong. The urge to serve in the cavalry had never left him and he felt restless, even when he was mounted during his work.

Strange his garb was because of his former duty. Garberend had returned his hauberk and spear when he had chosen to retire. Garberend had been allowed to keep his helmet in recognition for his service, an honor extended to much of those in the Westmark Éored who had fought almost non-stop from the first and second battles of the Fords of Isen, through Helm's Deep and onto the battle of the Pelennor fields where they had lost their beloved Feldmarshal Grimbold. It was a small weregild for what they had paid for with the lives of their comrades but it was a duty which all of them had taken up willingly knowing that death would come to all their people if they did not. And so Garberend came to the doors of the Dragon Room arrayed in simple attire: a belted dark brown woolen tunic pulled over lighter brown wool breeches, tall brown riding boots, and a linen shirt, over the top of which he wore a hooded cloak, pinned at his shoulder. The helmet he wore, of the variety which had been common among the Westmark Éored during the War, looked out of place in his otherwise civilian attire.

One of the guards stationed at the door recognized Garberend, even through his spectacled helm and despite his thick golden and braided beard covering most of the rest of his face -- perhaps it was precisely these qualities which is why he recalled the man. "Beren" he said, although it almost sounded like a question, as if in surprise that Garberend had come. Garberend simply grunted gruffly in response and nodded his head confirming his identity. They guards let him enter the hall.

It had been several years since he had stepped foot in the Dragon Room and it looked very different, although somehow it also looked very much the same. There was only one marshal stationed here now under whom he would offer his service. That simplified things, Garberend thought, he liked that, in general he liked straightforward tasks even if they were difficult or tiresome to achieve. As he approached the seat of the First Marshal, Garberend removed his helmet revealing thick long golden hair which was braided to match his beard. Garberend was not a vain man, as a rule, but he took great pride in his beard and hair and was meticulous about its care, one of the few vanities he allowed himself.

"Garberend, reporting for re-enlistment" he said, shortly. "I served in the Éored under Feldmarshal Grimbold" he added, nearly the tersest possible description of his previous service. That he had served under Grimbold indicated that he was in the Westmark Éored and had fought during the war, that he was still alive presumably meant that he had fought through most of their battles. That he was otherwise unrenowned indicated that he had likely remained a rider of the line for the duration of his service. The helmet he carried now under his arm corroborated his claims.

Knight of The Mark
Sitting in her chair at the front of the room, Shivased took a sip of the mead in the mug in one hand as she moved aside a pile of parchment with the other and studied the map on the table in front of her. She was ignoring the parchment for now in favour of the oral report she'd just been given by a wigend sent from the Hornburg. Orc activity was increasing a bit there and there were several new small skirmishes to report. Nothing, she thought studying the map, that seemed of actual concern, but they would monitor it. Orcs still roamed in bands, but there was no true central leadership or organization to them anymore and though encounters were common, they were less of a threat since the War. Still, better to be safe than sorry.

The door opening took her attention from the map and she looked up to see a man entering, dressed in the simple garb of a farmer or herder, yet with a helm on his head. The helm she immediately recognized - a similar one sat in her own home, having belonged to her father during his service in the War. So, clearly, this man was former Cavalry, perhaps here to return to service. She at least hoped for that, for they were sorely in need of riders. Setting down her tankard she gave a brief, quiet reply to the messenger sent to give the report from the Hornburg and dismissed him, then rolled up the map before stepping around the table to greet the newcomer.

Westu Garberend hal, Shivased greeted him with a nod. A Westmarker then, if you served under Grimbold. He was a good man, his name is still often spoken in these halls. She considered him for a minute - he looked healthy and able, and the fact that he was still alive showed he had lived through much of the war and had considerable experience. She didn't recognize his name which told her he was never an officer. Had he been, she would have seen his name one one of the scrolls somewhere.

You are welcome to re-enlist, she said after a minute. You will be required to undergo a short re-training session in the Courtyard, after which you will be given regular duty. If serving is your wish, you may head to the Cavalry Courtyard and speak to Learmagister Eideard at the Training Grounds.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Istari Sage

Garberend
Re-enlisting in the Cavalry
@Shivased

Greetings had never been Garberend’s strong suit. He was not an elegant man, nor particularly well spoken. Gruff and to the point with as little unnecessary ornamentation was his style. Neither compliment nor insult were common from Garberend. He might speak plainly and make it sound one way or another, but this wasn’t something he could do with intention. Garberend would have made a poor diplomat or counselor but he made a good soldier.

And so Garberend stood silently as the First Marshal regarded him, no doubt reading whether his claims were true and assessing his appearance. Garberend had been young during the war, much younger than normally would have been common if not for the dire circumstances. Consequently he was younger than many of the other veterans but still he was somewhat past his prime now. Still he was in good health and working as a stable hand and on the farm had kept him in good physical shape even if he had not practiced with the sword and spear recently. Garberend nodded his head grimly as the First Marshal mentioned that Grimbold was still spoken of in the halls. It was rightly so, in his mind.

Some form of re-training was to be expected, in fact Garberend was looking forward to brushing up on his unused skills. “I will report to Learmagister Eideard immediately” he said and saluted the First Marshal as he did spoke. He paused for a moment, waiting for further instruction, and then continued “with your leave” he said politely and turned to go to the training grounds. A few paces towards the door and he returned the helmet from under his arm to his head. Garberend nodded to the door warden who had recognized him on his way out, a grim smile showed through his thick beard, causing the braids on both sides to lift slightly.

Arien
Arien
Eadflæda, re-enlisting, Garænlic, returning home

She squeezed his hand, almost unconsciously - a quick grasp of his calloused palm as they came up to the doors again. Releasing it just as quickly, she shot a glance at her brother from under the fine tendrils of her hair, moving in the breeze.

“Ach, mægdencild,” he teased her lightly, “nothing to be afeard of. You’ve done this before, haven’t you?”

“Stop it,” she chided him, but her voice was tight with something that might have been apprehension, or excitement, or sadness: that this time, she was coming, but he was leaving. With her mother’s health fast declining, the family had petitioned that Garaenlic be sent home and Eadflæda return to duty in his place. Her elder brother had almost completed his Haeland training and, moreover, was a better worker in the fields than she. Eadflæda had hardly been in the Cavalry long before she had been granted an indefinite compassionate leave of absence after their father had died; but now it was time to return to her duty, whilst her brother took on more of those at home - at least for a while. Eadflæda had no doubt he would be back, once things were settled. Even in times of peace, the Cavalry still required its cavaliers.

In they strode together, to bow to the first Marshal and make their salute. “Westu Shivased hal,” they both greeted her - Garaenlic slightly more brightly, Eadflæda perhaps a half-second behind. “You already received our written request, no doubt,” he continued. “I’m here to take my leave, First Marshal, and to present - again - my little sister.”

He beckoned her, and she straightened reflexively.

“Eadflæda, as was of Eastmark, with my brother,” she reported, “but since he will be absent, I’m glad to be reassigned as needed…”

Garaenlic shot her a half-furious, half-mocking glance and mouthed “Traitor” unsubtly at her. Eadflæda shrugged a shoulder at him.

“I made it just into Dryhtguma before I had to leave,” she continued, “but my palms know more of weaving than the sword of late, Marshal, so I’ll undertake any re-training as you see fit. But I’m glad to be back, and it’s an honour to serve.”
cave anserem

Knight of The Mark
There was no response to her greeting of Garberend, but gruff, silent types weren't too unusual in Rohan so she didn't think anything of it. Instead, Shivased returned the salute given to her and nodded to show she had heard him state he would head to the courtyard for re-training. Garberend interested her, making her curious what had brought him back to the Cavalry after so many years. Once he had left, putting on his helm as he went, she shrugged to herself. Everyone she had seen recently re-join the Cavalry had come back for their own reasons, she had no doubt he was the same.

She was about to go back to her map and reports when two more entered the Dragon Room, approaching and greeting her together. She immediately recognized their names and glanced down to the pile of missives, somewhere in which the petition they spoke of was. Westu hal she replied, returning their salute. Garaenlic, I bid you good travels and good luck, and hope to see you return when and if you are able.

Turning to Eadflæda she smiled slightly at the offer to be transferred to another eored and the muttered 'traitor' from her brother. Eadflæda, you will be required to undergo a short re-training period, but don't worry; you won't have to transfer from the Eastmark. You will be assigned her to Edoras, but nowadays we have riders from all eoreds here. You will need to report to Larmagister Eideard in the Courtyard for a short period of re-training.
Eastmark Eored

Forth Eorlingas!

Arien
Arien
Garaenlic and Eadflæda

Garaenlic smiled and bowed to the Marshal, hand on heart. “Ferthu hal, Marshal,” he said, with his easy smile. “I’ve no doubt I’ll be back some day, when you need me - although glad I am to have these days of peace where we can be released. Sure and I’ll be missing ye more when my mother has me stacking up the haybales and such…”

“And getting up with the milking,” murmured Eadflæda, nudging him slightly with her elbow and smirking. “Oh, and don’t forget lambing. Although you’ve just missed that - you’ll be in time for tail docking! And the harvesting and berrying…”

“Ach, all fine tasks, and fewer bruises than you’ll earn tangling with Larmagister Eideard,” her brother rejoined. Eadflæda snorted out a laugh. “It won’t be that bad.. will it… Marshal?” She pursed her lips slightly but was laughing again as they bowed and retreated from the hall.
cave anserem

Steward of Gondor

Léolith - (hopeful) new recruit

It had been a long journey for Léolith. Not so much in distance, but her own personal journey had been long, or so it seemed to the young woman that stepped quietly into the building. She had stopped to admire the place from the outside for a moment, hardly able to believe she was really, finally, making this step. Ever since that unplanned adventure in her thirteenth year, some years before the war, Léolith had thought more and more about her future plans, wondering whether she might take this sort of path. And then, after the war, and everything that had happened then, she made a resolution. This was absolutely what she wanted to do. And now she was here.

Glancing around, she instantly felt assaulted by nervousness and a little insecurity, wondering if she would be accepted, or if they would send her away. Yet, at the same time, hope, mingled with a sense of pride and patriotism, settled into her heart. This was where her brother once came, to join this same fighting force. He had spoken of it to her, in the times he used to visit. Had he stood upon this very spot, she wondered? Had he seen exactly what she was seeing, now? Or had the interior changed since then? She absently smoothed her dress slightly as she wondered what Léored would say if he could see his little sister now. She hoped he would be proud of her.

Taking a deep breath to settle her nerves, Léolith focused her gaze upon the field marshal. “Westu hal,” She smiled as she approached. “I’d like to join the cavarly, please.” The atmosphere seemed almost intimidating, and far more formal than any she had ever experienced, but the young woman remembered to stand straight, not slouching. “My name is Léolith,” She added with a small smile, trying her best to appear calm and confident, regardless of how she truly felt.

@Shivased
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."