The Michel Delving Mathom-House (OOC)

Growing food and eating it occupied most of their time.
Storyteller
Hi there, Tari! Welcome back to the Shire and the new Plaza. Glad to see you found your icon in the end! :smiley8:

New Soul
@Menolly Nooooo! Fangy can't take gardening from us. I think they should be the Forest Service instead. :smiley15: Also hey @Dwim! I'll be honest, you look familiar, but I have a terrible memory (in real life and in character).
she/her

Chef
@Tari Only You Can PrevENT Forest Fires? I mean, the thread title does practically write itself, complete with pun. :smiley9: No rules on the new plaza, so you can create whatever threads you want! I would come visit a Shire gardening club, especially if the Fangorn garden club is much different from the Shire garden club of old.
they/them/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

Storyteller
Hey @Tari , well if you left in 2008, my name was Scary then. My first Plaza stint started in 2004, but I don't think I joined the Shire til 2005 maybe?

Forester of Lothlorien
@Lobelia Brindleway - Will you be stopping by your tea house in Michel Delving again soon, my dear, or should I move on to another stall?
Characters: Sidra (Elf), Leilani & Elva (Hobbits), Solia (Human)

New Soul
@Menolly I'm just so used to permission. This new-fangled thing of whatever we want is bizarre to me. Plus all the NPCs, in my old day Ents would be wandering into hobbit pubs and all kinds of weird things. Are we more canon now? I can be down with that.

@Dwim - AHHHH! Scary! Yes I know who you are then!
she/her

Chef
@Tari As I like to say, NEW PLAZA NO RULES :smiley8: I'll be honest, I haven't done a lot of RPing around the new kingdoms yet so I'm not sure about NPCs vs your "regular" character. I certainly remember many hobbit pubs with a collection of all races, and no one batted an eye. So I guess be more canon, or not, as your heart desires? NEW PLAZA NO RULES!

Farmer
@Tari Hellooooooooo! Good to see another familiar face. Your stall is ready in the Michel Delving Market. And oh! I love the original name "Bee Vomit". I included that in case you change your mind of the name *g*

And I'm with @Menolly - I've kind of glanced at other kingdoms and been itching to RP in some of the threads. But I'm afraid of getting committed to more than I can do atm.

Black Númenórean
I was just posting about the orchestra in the musicians thread in OOME, then came in here and saw it's on a list of future thread considerations! I feel like I was a part of it waaaaay back when (under a different name) but would be happy to help get that running if there's interest?

Also, my Hobbit character Pearl has been bugging everyone in the Green Dragon about starting a gardening club again. I don't know much about what that used to look like but would be interested in participating if it were to get up and running!
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Chef
@Tarawen I would participate in the orchestra! I have fond memories of it. I would need to dig up an old gardening club to see what that looked like since I wasn't as active with that back in the day, unless @Tari or someone else remembers it well enough to recreate it.

Chef
@Tari ! Good to see you! Wasn't it Tari Boffin before?
Please state the nature of the medical emergency!

Chef
@Prisca Boffin now I realize what I know you from! I think you were there even before me, when Banazir was ruler of the Shire with Seregon?
Please state the nature of the medical emergency!

New Soul
@Eamila Bolger Yes it was! I think I became Sam after you? Or somewhere around the same time. Eventually, I just shortened the name probably around the time you left the plaza.

@Joel Cotton Maybe the official sign just will always have it crossed off, eh?

@Menolly How does one dig up an old thread? I tried to look at archives, but couldn't get any thread to open. I can only see titles of threads.
she/her

Chef
@Tari Mostly it's an exercise in frustration to be honest. Only ten percent or so of the threads seem to load for me. Once you're in the Shire in the wayback machine, you can move back and forth in time to try and get threads to load, rather than navigating back out to the main wayback machine menu. Are you thinking of the gardening club? I can dig back and see if I can get any of the threads to load.

Chef
OK I spent an amount of time I don't want to disclose looking through the wayback machine for old Shire garden club threads...and sadly I couldn't get any to load. But @Tari this loaded for some reason and I thought you might enjoy it. 2005 was a strange and different time.

Farmer
Yeah, I've been trying to dig through the wayback machine for other Ye Olde Village Shoppes/Michel Delving threads to get a feel for how they were previously run. I give up out of frustration and impatience (don't really have the time for that). So, I'm just going to give up on it. That being said, I'm trying to figure out how and when it would be best to bring in some subplots to the current Market thread. A rain shower coming in, for instance.

New Soul
@Menolly - Uh wow! I don't even remember that happening and there were so many familiar names. 2005 was 15 years ago. It blows my mind! We may just have to make a new garden club. It sounds like Fangorn is making more of a RL plant/gardening advice thread from what I've heard so our RP version won't compete hopefully.

@Joel Cotton I'm down for subplots anytime! Maybe just announce it in all red or something and edit the opening post to let people know that big bold red updates are subplots for everyone?
she/her

Ent Ancient
Hiya hobbit friends! I was most recently a hobbit on the Old plaza so this feels like my second home. If there was a new Gardening Club, I would definitely hop right in!
@Tari I fully agree with @Menolly's wisdom. New plaza, no rules. I think you should just play whomever you like wherever you like and have fun!

Storyteller
@Aodh Hammerhelm, it's good fun RP'ing this story with you! If you would prefer the green book to be unnamed to better suit your story, please let me know and I can edit my post. I was not sure if this was a detail you wanted to reveal yourself. :smiley10:

Chieftain of The Mark
@Dwim It's great to be RPing again, and very happy that my furtive friend found your stall. Don't alter your post, in that weird way the Plaza works, your revelation is perfect. I'm on a nightshift, Sat. Hope to get a reply in sometime Sunday.
- he hath not forgotten Image the face of his fathers -

New Soul
Found an old post office thread if we want to ever reopen.
https://web.archive.org/web/20050426143 ... Position=1
she/her

Storyteller
@Tari , that is a great find. It's really cool to see all those old hobbit addresses again. :smiley8:

For now Fangorn has a post office of sorts (for mailing to or from any kingdom), The Old Mailing Tree, which seems to fulfil the postage demands of the Kingdoms - at least for the moment while our member numbers are still low. https://lotrfanaticsplaza.com/forum/vie ... f=16&t=202

Chieftain of The Mark
@Dwim
I've had a hectic work schedule over the weekend. Hope to reply to you today.

Storyteller
@Aodh Hammerhelm, no worries! I'm not in any rush at all. Take your time. :smiley10:

Chieftain of The Mark
@DwimTa!

Nice win in the captions thread BTW.

"Where is Gandalf, for I much desire to sleep with him..."

Chieftain of The Mark
@Dwim,
Apologies for the long-winded market post. I'm trying to resolve some character/story issues from when the Plaza shifted time-slots back in the day.

Of course Dwim could have somehow obtained the silver box from a Barrow. But who put it there?

See you in awhile.

Chieftain of The Mark
Hi all,
Is that the entrance to Stokesay Castle I see representing the🐉? viewtopic.php?f=13&t=40

Thain of The Mark
I would like to invite any interested Hobbitses to participate in the newly-relaunched Miss/ter Meduseld competition for the Edoras Summer Festival! I apologize if I'm jumping in where I shouldn't be, but this seemed the most appropriate thread in the Shire for this. :smiley8:

The 2020 Miss/ter Meduseld Pageant (part of the Edoras Summer Festival) will be OPEN FOR PARTICIPANT SIGN-UPS June 18-19!

Sign-ups are LIVE!

ALL are welcome to participate, regardless of Kingdom!

Last edited by Taethowen on Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

Hobbit Child
SidraLockel Eltoran wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:39 pm @Lobelia Brindleway - Will you be stopping by your tea house in Michel Delving again soon, my dear, or should I move on to another stall?
Hello. Sorry to reply so late. Not been on the plaza for abit but I have now roleplayed to your post in the market place 👍🙂

Elder of Imladris
Hello everyone. Although I had never seen the "golden age" of the Plaza and the kingdoms, I was active during the last years of the original Plaza and even served as Mayor of the Shire for about a year (perhaps more, I can't quite remember now). I used to run the not-so-active Watch, the Green Dragon inn, and a Walking Club. I have three hobbit characters, and I'd like to offer my help, and what few skills I have, to the revival of the good old Shire :)

Storyteller
Hi @Nolewen! Welcome back to The Plaza! I don't think we ever met, as I didn't visit in those latter days (in fact I only learnt about the mayors system today!), but I am happy to see an ex-mayor here. :smiley8: They are three excellent threads you mentioned. I personally would love to see the Walking Club come back at some point. Looking forward to interacting with you!

Elder of Imladris
Hi @Dwim! Also looking forward for the Walking Club, although now I'm quite content with simply walking again through the Shire. Two of my hobbits stopped by to look at your stall at the Market. I think the prospect of weapons and Warg teeth rather caught one's attention...

Storyteller
@Nolewen, cool! Yes how could you walk past the charming prospect of warg teeth. I also owe @Aodh Hammerhelm a post there too, so I'll try and reply tonight. :smiley24:

Chieftain of The Mark
No worries, no hurries, freond@Dwim

Elder of Imladris
@Dwim (or any friendly hobbit passing by). I suddenly realized that I don't know what year it is in the Shire right now. When the old Plaza was last active it was Third Age 3014, but it seems we've moved forward to the Forth Age (I haven't seen the days of the old kingdoms, but I know that back then it was also the Fourth Age, right?)?

Storyteller
Hi @Nolewen, we had a brief discussion about that on the previous page of this thread, but didn't really come to a conclusion. Being the laid-back hobbits that we are, the general consensus was to RP that how you wish.

I think I personally prefer the idea of things being in the Fourth Age, but then I also see the cons of that as well (such as King Elessar banning any Men from entering the Shire). At this stage we seem to be RPing in whatever age we individually wish, unless the current age is outright specified in a particular thread or activity.

I imagine that if there is a movement in one direction from a group of members who have a stronger opinion about it, then we could all come to a decision.

Chef
Pretty much what Dwim said. I agree that I think we're generally in the fourth age, but if someone wants to run something third age specific that's fine, and also I'm certainly not going to pitch a fit if one of the Big Folk turns up at the Green Dragon.

Black Númenórean
Menolly wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:36 amI'm certainly not going to pitch a fit if one of the Big Folk turns up at the Green Dragon.
This is reassuring as I’ve had Tara in there for a while. :smiley16:
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Chef
@Tarawen clearly I'm very observant! :smiley9:

Elder of Imladris
Great, thank you! It would be slightly problematic if we're in the Forth Age, because right now I'm portraying Bingo Took and Amalda Goodbody as hobbits in their early forties, whereas in the Fourth Age they should be much older. I don't think it's that important, though, so I'm simply going to ignore it. (Please forgive me if I mention troubles with the outside world, then, as it seems I'm playing in both ages at once! :smiley16:)

Chieftain of The Mark
@Nolewen et al,

When I joined up in 2005 Roleplay threads were all rooted in the Fourth Age. The exact date was unspecified, but it was not long after the closing of the Third Age. I remember the Plaza being divided into canon (Lore, Debate threads) and people RPing with a looser approach to M-e.

The Plaza reconfigured sometime in 2010, moving everyone into the Third Age. A stricter approach, if memory serves me, was adopted in RP threads. Many folk left, I guess because they'd invested years in their character/s development. Others found a way to alter their histories, some (like me, a stickler for continuity) are still finding a way to bend the Age change to fit their story arcs.

Gondor and Riddermark ran a poll just after Narv got us up and running again. Both voted for Fourth.

I'm sure it doesn't matter though. The name of the game is enjoyment, and hobbits, in the sanctuary of the Shire, would be mostly unaware of a switch between the Third and Fourth‽

Elder of Imladris
I agree, @Aodh Hammerhelm. Considering they have their own count of years, I doubt it mattered much to most hobbits. The only question is that of history - can we mention Sharkey? Are we rebuilding the Shire after the damage he caused? Do our hobbits hear rumors of Mordor and threatening creatures to the east, or is Mordor destroyed? Again, most hobbits wouldn't have bothered with such matters anyway; but some would, like the more adventurous Tooks, the few travelers and curious among hobbits, and people who live next to places that had to suffer Saruman's mischief...

Chieftain of The Mark
@Nolewen,

Yes, there is that problem. Why don't you hold a Shire poll? If you go with Third Age all visitors can adapt to that. Bonus is you can still have Sharkey, Worm and co in the mix.

Elder of Imladris
@Aodh Hammerhelm As I am a visitor to the Shire myself (formally being a member of Imladris), I do not think it is my place to hold a Shire poll, while I agree it might make matters a bit easier. It's also possible that our dear "laid back hobbits", as Dwim put it, prefer to leave it inconclusive, as it is right now. Over all, Menolly's suggestion that we are "generally in the fourth age, but if someone wants to run something third age specific that's fine" sounds best to me. As we said before, hobbits probably wouldn't have been too concerned about the switch in Ages... and this way, everyone could RP as they wish.

Chieftain of The Mark
Nolewen wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:06 pm @Aodh Hammerhelm As I am a visitor to the Shire myself (formally being a member of Imladris), I do not think it is my place to hold a Shire poll, while I agree it might make matters a bit easier. It's also possible that our dear "laid back hobbits", as Dwim put it, prefer to leave it inconclusive, as it is right now. Over all, Menolly's suggestion that we are "generally in the fourth age, but if someone wants to run something third age specific that's fine" sounds best to me. As we said before, hobbits probably wouldn't have been too concerned about the switch in Ages... and this way, everyone could RP as they wish.
@Nolewen @Dwim & @Menolly,

I agree with your observations. I think it's nice to visit a place where things are ambiguous.

Storyteller
@Allafyrefleorhtlig, psst! We've got the Bywater Bulletins thread for advertisements :P

https://lotrfanaticsplaza.com/forum/vie ... f=13&t=310

Thain of The Mark
@Dwim apologies and thanks, I’ve asked an admit to delete it and reposted it in the correct place :smiley17: I’ll have to do the tourist tour while I’m here so I know better for next time.

Storyteller
@Allafyrefleorhtlig, not a worry! :smiley24: Now there's an idea for a new RP thread: Hobbit Tour-Guides (quite useful for Hobbits too as most of them have never stepped outside of their own towns) :smiley9:

Thain of The Mark
@Dwim Oh wow I am definitely in. We can just enter each thread in the Shire, have a hilarious description of the residents. I gasp and go “oooh” and draw some hurried sketches, then we leave 😂

Chef
Not that I should be in charge of it right now if people like the idea, but who would be up for re-opening the Shire Medical Clinic/Hobbit Hospital? I kinda miss that place too!

If I ever do start volunteering to help or lead with anything else, it will probably not be until late August/September. I need to see how having our newborn changes the daily routine here at home. Then I will know how actively involved I can be.