The Green Dragon inn

Growing food and eating it occupied most of their time.
Esquire of The Mark
Welcome to The Green Dragon Inn, we serve food and drinks to all hobbit folk.
Menu
Stew with taters
Pie with taters
Sauages with taters
Soup with... Bread roll

Ale - half pint
Ale - pint
Apple juice
Elderflower wine
Blackberry wine

Help wanted: Lily Knotwise is expecting to be busy, applicants for bar staff accepted.

Esquire of The Mark
Lily gave the taps one last polish and plopped her cloth on the shelf behind the bar. "phew, that should be it for now" she said with relief. She took pride in running a clean and tidy pub but sometimes that took a lot of elbow grease!

Today she had been distracted by a tasty looking crop of blackberries she found on her way from home, so had been running late. She hadn't even finished cleaning by the time she had to unlock the doors for the lunch time trade. She'd also been rushing back and forth from the kitchen to the bar to stir the stew and soup occasionally. It smelled amazing!

Fortunately, no one had arrived while she was still cleaning, and now she took a moment to survey the empty Inn before moving round in front of the bar and sinking down onto one of the stools at the table at the front of the bar. "I'll just take a little rest before the first customer arrives" she murmured to herself as her eyes began to droop.

New Soul
The Shire was a fair distance from Rohan, but worth the trip if nothing else than for the food--good, filling, and always plenty. Although after trail rations, Gwai was ready to eat pretty much anything. She dropped Brightfyr off at a nearby stable, and after a brief discussion with the stablehand, headed straight for the Green Dragon Inn, which she dimly recalled from a long ago visit. Ducking her head to avoid a bruise from the doorframe, she walked to the bar, glad to have beat the lunch rush.

Gwai's stomach rumbled as she took a seat, the smell of stew simmering reminding her how long it had been since she'd eaten. An ale didn't sound bad either. A hobbit was half asleep at one of the tables, presumably the barkeep. Gwai made a mental note to be sure to get directions to an inn she could stay for a few days as well while she looked up old friends.

Chef
It had been a long while since Menolly's feet had taken her this way. But today, as she wandered down the lane, the aroma of stew with taters wafted from the inn and started her stomach growling. She pushed the door open, her mouth watering, and headed straight for the bar.

Unfortunately, the proprietor appeared to be having a midday nap. "Hello?" Menolly said hesitantly, tapping the sleeping figure on the arm. "Uh, sorry to wake you, but the food smells amazing and I would really like a bowl of...oh!" She hadn't noticed the figure of one of the Big People sitting nearby in her haste to get a bowl of stew.

"Hello," she said politely, "I'm Menolly. What's one of the Big People doing here in the Shire?"

Melkor
Melkor
Eckbert the Old

It had been quite some time since Eckbert visited his favorite inn. It took quite a while to find it though, given his walking stick and slow pace. Why, when he was spry, young, hobbit, he would sprint straight into the Green Dragon. One time he even had to pay extra for causing an accident with one of the bar staff. But that might as well as been an age ago. Now, what left of his hair was as white as a northern winter snow, and the light was dimmer and blurrier each day as his eyes began to fail him. Still, he found his way inside the Green Dragon inn, and to his surprise he saw a fellow hobbit, but a really tall figure.

"Careful Menolly. My eyes are not what they used to be, but it could be one of them...uhh... tearolls? No no, you know... those swarthy... erm... rangers we hear about wandering somewheres," Eckbert commented, as he used his walking stick to walk closer to (Gwai).

Straightening his bent back, he tried his best to crane his neck upward look Gwai in the eyes, noting, "you're rather cleanshaven for one of the big folk."

Esquire of The Mark
Lily was enjoying a pleasant dream about baking a blackberry and apple crumble, and had just got as far as watching all the fruit juices bubble over the top of the dish as it baked when a bird flew in and pecked her on the arm. That wasn't right! She shook herself awake and realised that the bird was a dream but the tap on her arm was real, done by a hobbit friend Menolly, and she had customers!

"Oh, oh!" she cried and stood up rather hastily, knocking over the stool she had perched on. "My friends! I am sorry for my slumber, when I should have been serving you!" she said, and looked around at the group of customers that had assembled. Two hobbits and a man...well woman, no doubt all with hearty appetites. Fortunately they were talking amongst themselves so might forgive her lapse of consciousness. She wiped her hands on her apron then bustled off behind the bar.

"So, um, who was first and what can I get you? We have stew, soup, pie and er..." she glanced at the sign and saw she had written sausages incorrectly "apparently sauages, but I can assure you they are sausages and I'll fix the sign. We also have ale, juice and some fruit wines." She beamed at everyone.

New Soul
The Green Dragon was filling up quickly. One of the hobbits, presumably a regular, thankfully woke up the proprietress, and then introduced herself to Gwai. "Westu hal, Menolly", Gwai brushed her runaway hair off her face and returned the greeting, smiling. "My name is Araina Feorsteorra, but everyone calls me Gwai! I've been traveling quite a bit over the last few years, and finally decided to return the visits of some old friends from the Shire! This was not a quick journey," she joked. "Can I assume you are from the Shire? Do you have a recommendation on a likely place to stay while I'm visiting?"

An elderly hobbit (Eckbert) approached during their conversation, looking somewhat suspiciously at Gwai, wondering if she was a ranger, and commenting on her lack of beard. Gwai stifled a laugh at the older hobbit's comments, and replied with a twinkle in her blue eyes, "Oh no, good sir, I am no Ranger. I hail from the land of Rohan, in fact." Thinking an older hobbit perhaps was not familiar with Rohan, she added, "Which is somewhat close to Gondor". Debating whether to comment on her lack of beard, she mentioned, "My clean shaven status is because I'm a woman. I believe you are thinking of the Dwarves, who seem to have a surplus of facial hair," she mentioned, her mouth twitching to keep from smiling. Holding her hand out, she introduced herself, "My name is Gwai."

The proprietress was offering various food as well as drink. "A tankard of ale would be perfect, thank you Lily," Gwai said with a smile, "And I certainly won't turn down a bowl of stew." Turning to Menolly and Eckbert, she offered, "Can I buy your first drink, and we can make a toast to new friendships?"

Chef
After a long journey, Eamila Bolger was almost home. She had been traveling the East Road for a few days now, and was happy to see the Three Farthing Stone. It was not far to Pincup from here. Only a short walk to the South.
'Almost home', she whispered. 'And there is nothing like...'
A sweet scent was in the air. Were there voices, up ahead? Bywater was a lot closer than Pincup right now. And she was thirsty, after her long walk. 'There is nothing like a good Ale', she decided. And she went right instead of left.

Soon she entered the Green Dragon. It wasn't all too crowded, but she was pleased to see more visitors around.
'Goodday to y'all', she greeted Lily, Eckbert and Gwai, trying not to stare at the latter. 'Lovely day for a pint, isn't it?'
Then she saw someone familiar, someone she hadn't seen for a long time.
'Menolly! What a pleasure to meet you here! I hope you are doing fine?'
She sat down with a happy sigh and rested her legs.

Weathered Ent
Lotho Hogfoot

The Hobbit's feet were dusty from coming up the road to the inn. His stomach was complaining from the trip. He had the travel west from Buckland to get to Bywater where the Green Dragon was. Now his feet were tired and rather sore from the trip. He was also sweaty and hot under his rust colored waist coat and green over coat. The bell on the door dinged and he entered. The inn wasn't too crowded. He blinked. There was one of the Big People (Gwai) sitting in the inn. He hadn't seen one of those in a while.

Lotho's stomach was making audible noises when he sat down and viewed the menu. Stew with taters
Pie with taters
Sauages with taters
What was with all the taters? Lotho resigned himself to a dish with taters and picked the sausage with taters and waited for a staff member to assist him.

Esquire of The Mark
Lily started bustling around behind the bar as soon as the rider, who she heard introduce herself to Menolly as Gwai, gave her order. "Oh yes, stew and an ale, no problem at all." She pulled out a bowl, then looked back and forth between the tall rider, who had needed to duck to get through the door, and the small bowl. After a hesitation of a few moments she decided that her first instincts were right..this bowl was far too small for some one Big Folk sized. Thinking on her feet she felt around under the bar shelf for a fruit bowl she knew was kept there, gave it a good wipe over then ladled in huge dollops of stew, and extra taters. Setting this on the bar she then reached up to the pint tankards hanging over the bar and proceeded to fill it with a rich amber ale. This too she set down on the bar. "Rider Gwai" she called "your food and drink is ready, I hope it is to your liking...I grew the potatoes myself!" she said happily - it was a matter of pride that she grew much of the food she served herself.

Turning her attention to the new customers who had just arrived she waved merrily at Eamila and Lotho. She stifled a giggle when she heard Lotho's tummy rumble, apparently in reply - better not keep a hungry hobbit waiting! Seeing that the other customers were all settled and talking between themselves, she came out from the bar to take Lotho's order of sausages and taters. "My pleasure, and would you like anything to drink? The elderflower wine is a particularly good vintage, or there's apple juice if you would prefer something more refreshing?" she asked, beaming a friendly smile at him.

Chef
Menolly smiled at Gwai, and at the offer of a drink. "That would be lovely! May I have a half pint of ale, please? Oh, and some of that stew that smells so good," she added to Lily. "As to your question of a place to stay, I have to be honest, I can't think of a place in Bywater that could accommodate one of the Big Folk. We just don't see many of you further west than Bree."

She was about to greet the other two hobbit newcomers, but her eyes landed on an old familiar friend. "Eamila! It has been an age, or maybe two or three. I am indeed doing fine, but I will be better once that delicious smelling stew has arrived. Can you believe it's been nearly two hours since brunch? How have you been keeping?"

Weathered Ent
Lotho Hogfoot

Lotho saw the Hobbit waitress moving in his direction. His stomach rumbled very audibly again in anticipation of the food as she took his order. His face flushed in embarrassment. "I am so sorry about that", he apologized. "I came in from Buckland and haven't had a bite. I think I will take the apple juice to start. I am thirsty from the trip. Make that a big mug." Lotho smiled. His stomach rumbled again like an impending thunderstorm. "Oh dear. He said softly to himself. He should have taken for the trip meal. He regretted packing light.

Melkor
Melkor
Eckbert the Old

"Is that right huh? My eyes aren't what they used to be" Eckbert responded to Gwai as tried to shake her hand, "Rohan huh? Is that the place near that lake and lonely mountain?

You're a generous soul, I'll tell you that. I accept and will order some apple juice. Ale disagrees with my stomach nowadays" Eckbert said as he gingerly used his walking stick to walk to the bar and slowly sat on a stool.

"Aah, that feels good," Eckbert said as he sat. Around him the bar filled with both people and sound, as conversations rang through The Green Dragon. This brought a smile to the old hobbit's face, "just like the good old days..."

Whenever Lily returned to the bar, Eckbert would say, "Pardon me, may I have an apple juice?"

Sage of Khazad-dûm
Throwing her purple hood back, Nerwen pushed confidentially in The Green Dragon; famous inn of the Shire. Beneath the cosy wooden beams, sprawled a traditional Hobbit pub. Lots of mis-matched well loved furniture, warming hearths, platters on every surface (plenty of potatoes on offer!), cushions, pipe racks and drying herbs towards the ceiling. The place was fairly bustling! The dwarfette shimmied around people and across towards the hobbit woman (Lily) who was serving some customers. Awaiting her opportunity, she cleared her throat and said "Excuse me, I'm looking for Lily Knotwise, I was told there might be work to be done?"

Chef
'Ages indeed!', nodded Eamila in reply to Menolly. 'But you haven't changed at bit, if I may be so frank. You look wonderful!'
She looked around. 'Even the Green Dragon Inn hasn't changed much. I must say Lily is doing a great job. Did you hear her speak of those taters? I think I am ordering some as well, with that stew. You see, I've been having a particularly long walk today, and walking makes you hungry.'
She looked if Lily was ready to take new orders yet, with all the newcomers.
'I have been doing well', she then went on. 'The normal hobbit life, bigger children now than they were before. Can you believe our oldest is in her teens now? And acting like it sometimes... but she is a dear sweet girl still. Our boy Is ten already and loves to be outside just like his mother. How about you? How have you been doing?'
She nodded at Lotho in the mean time, not laughing at his rumbling stomach but feeling very sympathatically - she knew how traveling could make you hungry. While waiting for Menolly to answer, Ea also looked at Eckbert, the older hobbit, and Gwai the Rider who were making friends at the same moment. It was funny to see the difference in length between the two of them.
At that moment the door opened and to her surprise a Dwarf lady stepped in. Coming to the Dragon had been the best choice she made this day, there was plenty to see and talk about! She nodded friendly to this newcomer and awaited all that was happening...
Please state the nature of the medical emergency!

Esquire of The Mark
Lily nodded as she made a mental note of Lotho's drink order "Of course, one large apple juice coming right up, and a plate of sausages and taters. Don't you worry about your grumbly tummy, we'll have that fixed in no time at all!" she said confidently and with a smile, before heading back towards the bar.

As she moved through the growing crowd (oh, how she loved company!) she saw that Menolly was ready to order too and took a path that passed by her. "Righto, a half pint and some stew - you won't regret it, it has mushrooms in!" she grinned, and twirled away towards the bar area, thoroughly enjoying all the bustle and conversation around her.

Taking up her place back behind the bar Lily saw Old Eckbert sat upon a stool there and hurried over to him to take his order "Sure thing, apple juice will be with you in just a moment. Please make yourself comfortable while you wait, it won't be very long" she said, mindful that the older hobbits found standing around to be too much sometimes. She couldn't imagine not having the energy she did now, it must be sad to lose it as you got older.

She made a start on the orders, first of all taking a large pitcher of apple juice from the counter and pouring one large and one normal mug full, the smaller of which she immediately passed to Eckbert as he was right in front of her. Next she took down a small tankard from above the bar and poured half a pint of ale. She was just placing that on the bar and wondering whether to take those straight away and come back and do food, or take food and drink together, when she heard a voice calling her name. Looking up she saw, of all folk, a dwarf (Nerwen) in her pub! "Golly, yes hello, I'm Lily" she said, taking a moment to absorb the fact that she had a dwarf, and a rider, both in the Green Dragon at the same time. "And yes, yes there certainly is work, oh my goodness you've come at a most welcome time! Have you served food or drink before anywhere else? I know you must be strong, being a dwarf, so I am sure you wouldn't have any trouble with the barrels of ale? As you can see, we are quite busy, but if you know what you are doing it would be wonderful if you could start straight away and take these drinks to the customers - apple juice for Lotho, and ale for Menolly" she explained, indicating the respective hobbits. "Or I can show you the ropes now while I finish these orders?" she asked, unsure what a dwarven pub would be like and whether it would be similar to hers. Suddenly she realised she had been very rude in all this excitement "Oh goodness, I am sorry, I don't even know your name!" and she held out her hand to shake the dwarf's.
Starbreeze ~ Lily Knotwise ~ Itarildë Tinehtelë ~ Peachleaf ~ Isiliyan ~ Aelflaed Goldhawk ~ Dagnead

Chef
"Walking does indeed make you hungry, or at least it certainly makes me hungry!" Menolly replied to Ea. "I can't believe your children have grown so much. It has been longer than I realized. I have to admit," and she leaned in conspiratorially, "I had a few adventures. I spent some time working on a farm, and the more I learned the more folk asked me to come and look after their animals. So I've seen the four corners of the Shire and a few of the lands outside in recent years. But I missed Bywater, and the Green Dragon, and my home and my garden. It was past time to return."

Her mouth watered as Lily mentioned the stew contained mushrooms. Of course it did. A stew without mushrooms was hardly worth it! She smiled at Lotho and Eckbert. "So what brings each of you to the Green Dragon today?" she asked.
they/them/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

Weathered Ent
Lotho Hogfoot

Lotho looked up from his seat at the Hobbit, Lily, "I am on my way to Michael Delving to buy some pots for seedlings. Hopefully they will have some there," Lotho replied. "I have a great interest in trees. I live in Buckland. My house is up against the Old forest. Some pretty strange sounds can be heard behind my house at night. I live in a house, rather than a hobbit hole. I have a nice little cabbage field. The most queer thing happened one day. I woke up one morning and there was an Oak on the middle of my cabbage field that had never been there before. It was like it had sprung up overnight. Well I am buying pots to see if I can sprout some of its acorns." Lotho wondered if the Hobbit waitress would even believe him or would she think he was strange like the others we would visit. He kept thinking about that Oak with the very shiny delicate looking leaves. His dog, Paws would keep barking at it until he just accepted it and laid down against its trunk.
Huorn of Fangorn

Black Númenórean
Pearl Brockhouse

Pearl stepped into the familiar inn and breathed in the smells of cook fires, delightful familiar foods, and ale. She could feel her shoulders relax even as she looked around the pub, wondering who she would know. She saw Menolly speaking with one of the Big Folk (Gwai) and waved at them, believing she recognized at least the hobbit lass from ages long past.

She overheard a dwarf (Nerwen) inquiring for work and thought she would throw her hat in the ring as well. She approached them and spoke. "It's been a while, Lily! So good to see you. How have you been, and how's the Dragon these days?" With a smile, she added, "I also am in need of work, if you are still looking for help around here."
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

New Soul
Gwai had always heard the Shire-folk were not necessarily welcoming to outsiders--'suspicious' might be the word she had heard used, but although she felt as if she was standing out like a thumb one had accidentally hit with a hammer, she was having a lovely time meeting new people, as she returned Eamila's greeting with a friendly wave.

She grasped Eckbert's hand in return of his greeting, and wondered if she should offer him a hand as he sat down. He looked quite old, but Gwai was worried he may take offense if she did. "Rohan is actually fairly far from the Lonely Mountain, and unfortunately that is one place I have not yet visited," she said regretfully. "I always wanted to go there and see if the old stories about the dragon were true." She paused and took a sip of her ale before asking, "Do you think the story of the Dragon was just that? A story to scare children?" she asked Eckbert, realizing she actually knew woefully little about dragons. She also wondered just how old he was and perhaps dragons were still around in his time.

Her order was soon placed in front of her by Lily, and Gwai gratefully inhaled the aroma of the stew in what she realized was a larger bowl than most. "Thank you, Lily! I'm sure the taters are wonderful," she said thankfully, realizing how hungry she was. "I've never heard potatoes called 'taters before, back home we call them 'potatoes'," she commented. "I think I like your word better!"

Menolly commented on the lack of accommodation for the Big Folk, which, as Gwai looked around the pub, she had to admit was an apt description. "I was worried that might be the case," Gwai replied regretfully. "I did think I might have to ride toward Bree. It won't be the first time I've spent the night on the road, though! It seemed fairly safe as I rode here, but have you heard of anything on the road I should be on the watch for lately?" she inquired.
Third Marshal of the Mark
Meduseld Éored

Melkor
Melkor
Eckbert the Old

"Thank you dear," Eckbert said to Lily as he took a small swig of the apple juice, "as refreshing as ever!"

He turned his attention to Gwai once again, still marveling at how tall she was, "that Bilbo," Eckbert chuckled as he lightly coughed a little. Taking a deep breath he continued, "I thought a lot about this myself. I believe he had an adventure, hard to explain the treasure he brought back. The dragon's tale wasn't effective when I told my grandchildren. They were more scared regarding the fate of Bilbo's cousins."

Eckbert shook his head as he looked away from Gwai, "a sad, sad tragic story regarding Drogo and Primula." he sighed, closed his eyes as if in remembrance and shook his head once again.

The elderly hobbit turned his head and met Gwai's eyes once again. "That dragon...however. I do not believe it. Maybe a gigantic... what was it? Worm or lizard or something. But a flying dragon breathing fire? Hah! We never seen such a creature back in the Bullroarer's days. I'd have to see the corpse for myself to believe it."

His eyes blinked a little, as he looked inquisitively at Gwai, "are there giant lizards... or whatever they are called, worms where Rohand is? Surely there are no fire-breathing flying behemoths over there?"

Chef
It had been a long journey back to Hobbiton the night before. Now that she was here and her husband was off looking for work, Istya knew this was a good time to visit all of her old haunts. She desperately wanted to settle back in, perhaps see friendly faces that stayed etched in her mind from years before, and then get involved again with her beloved and much missed community. The memories of the past had been coming back to her strongly since early this morning when she was back in her old gardens.

This time, her feet ached, and her large belly was happily squirming about. So when she stepped up to talk with Lily, the pub owner on duty, she had to refrain from ordering her favorite drinks from the menu. No alcohol for two more months, she sighed. So not that.

"Hallo!" was all she could think to say right now. Her excitement was getting in her way of thinking straight. "On any other day, I would ask for your elderberry wine. But may I have some apple juice? I am willing to try that. Oh, and I definitely want to eat your pie with taters special. That sounds wonderful today!"

Once she requested her meal, she turned her head about the pub. She gasped when she did recognize a few faces. Would they remember her, though? She submitted a wave to Eamila and Menolly, but would totally understand if they could not recognize her. Especially now. She was just two months before her baby's due date.

Esquire of The Mark
Before Lily could catch an answer from the dwarf (Nerwen), she was delighted to recognise Pearl coming through the door, and making a beeline for her. Lily greeted her warmly. "Pearl, you are looking well! I've been keeping busy here and in my garden as usual - and had a particularly fine crop of rhubarb recently so I am sure something will appear on the menu here soon to feature it! The Dragon is of course always busy, so I certainly can use all the help I can get, as I was just explaining to...er... my new dwarf friend here." she said, attempting to introduce Nerwen without actually knowing her name yet. "I don't want to keep anyone waiting, so if you're both happy to start straight away, I will pop the drinks over to these two customers, and you can start serving up the food orders. There's one plate of sausages and taters for Lotho, and one bowl of stew for Menolly. Plates and bowls are on the shelf below the bar, and the food is on the stove in the kitchen through that door" she said, pointing to a sturdy wooden door behind the bar. "Thank you both so much!" she said as she hurried off with the drinks.

First she made her way over to Menolly and handed her a half-pint of ale. "One ale to start with and your food is just being served, we'll bring it right over as soon as it is ready" she said cheerfully. She turned to Rider Gwai and gave a little giggle at the mention of the word taters "Oh yes, it's a bit silly really, just a bit of fun but everyone here knows what it means" she said, and then realised Eamila hadn't placed an order yet. "Either I or one of my two new bar staff will be happy to take your order whenever you are ready, just let one of us know." she said, before waving good bye and moving on with her final drink to deliver.

Next she presented Lotho's large mug of apple juice to him, and she listened with a touch of bemusement as he described an odd happening with an oak tree in his field."I can't imagine oak trees grow over night, do they? I wish everything in my garden grew that fast, I would be able to grow so many different plants and never have to worry about space! Perhaps it had been growing slowly all this time, and you only noticed it when it caught a certain light? Although they do say odd things happen near the Old Forest" she said doubtfully. "Your meal will be on the way shortly" she added, before catching the eye of Istya who had just entered.

"Hello, oh please do take a seat, I know it can be tiring when you are carrying a little one!" she exclaimed. "It is a shame you cannot try the wine, but perhaps there will be some left in a few months. But an apple juice is more than achievable and we'll bring that and some pie and taters over to wherever you are sitting" she said, trying not to look too much like she wanted to place a loving hand on Istya's belly, as she knew not all hobbit mums-to-be liked that.
Starbreeze ~ Lily Knotwise ~ Itarildë Tinehtelë ~ Peachleaf ~ Isiliyan ~ Aelflaed Goldhawk ~ Dagnead

Black Númenórean
Pearl Brockhouse

Pearl smiled as she heard her old friend's updates. "Your garden is the stuff of local legend, Lily! I'm quite glad to hear that it's doing well. Rhubarb on the menu has my stomach rumbling already," she laughed, as her stomach gave a mighty groan.

"Pleased to meet you! I do hope we'll have some time to chat amidst our work," Pearl said, nodding and smiling at the dwarf (Nerwen) as Lily introduced her. "It does seem like you are quite swept off your feet with work, Lily! I'd be happy to bring out some food for the guests. I might grab a morsel myself on the way, though - I'll be sure to pay for it! And now, I'll let you get to it!"

The young hobbit walked happily toward the door at the back of the inn, behind which she knew the kitchen was busy generating the delicious smells that permeated the room. She grabbed a bowl, spoon, and small plate from beneath the bar. Entering the kitchen, Pearl spotted a large pot of stew steaming on the stove and scooped a hearty portion into a bowl. She dropped a spoon into the stew and placed a bread roll onto the plate. (She pushed another roll into her skirt pocket for later, making a mental note to pass some coin to Lily in payment before she left.) She inhaled the woody smell of mushrooms from the stew and felt her stomach grumble once again.

Propping the door open with her foot and deftly stepping back out, Pearl headed back into the main room. She approached the hobbit (Menolly) that Lily had indicated earlier. "Pearl Brockhouse at your service!" she said by way of greeting as she placed the food on the scrubbed table. "Here is your stew - I hope you enjoy it! Now, is there anything else I can get you all?" She gave a glance to each of the group around Menolly.

New Soul
Gwai took a sip of ale as she listened to Eckbert's theory about Bilbo's money. She wasn't entirely sure who that was although the name may have been familiar, but treasure was always a fascinating topic. "What happened to Bilbo's cousins?" she asked curiously, wondering what fate could possibly be more fascinating than a story about a dragon. "And what is this about treasure? Is it buried around here somewhere?" she asked somewhat eagerly, having been out of a job for a bit. She took a bite of the 'taters', surprised at how tasty and flavorful they were.

She shook her head as Eckbert asked about Rohand. "No, we don't have those in Rohan," she replied, somewhat regretfully, thinking that would have been quite an adventure. "We have quite a number of horses, and a fair number of dogs and a few cows and sheep," she offered, realizing that wasn't nearly as exciting. "So you've never seen a dragon...I've never seen a dragon either, or seen any sort of lizard big enough my horse Brightfyr couldn't step on it. Frankly," she confided, leaning in a little, "I don't think they exist either. How could something that big fly, much less be breathing fire?" she asked, warming to her subject, waving her fork in the air. "I agree it's probably just something parents made up to scare children into eating their vegetables," she added, shaking her head. "Also, we probably would have seen one by now, where could they possibly hide if they are truly that big?"
Meduseld Éored

New Soul
It was the green hood and the double axe in a shoulder harness that identified the newcomer as a Dwarf and not a hobbit. Her build was slimmer than was typical for a dwarf. Six long white braids tumbled from the deep hood and shone like mithril. Dis was glad to have gotten a bath before she came downstairs to the Green Dragon pub. So filthy was she from sleeping in ditches that they almost didn't let her have a room.

Her axe haft made a thump as she sat on the stool next to Eckbert. She pulled her hood back revealing hair as mithril bright as her beard. Her eyes were large and black. She tapped the bar. "I'll be having some of that stew. And the elderberry wine if you please." She listened to the talk between the Hobbit and the Rohirrim woman. "Dragons," she butted in. "I seen that one at the Lonely Mountain. I was a young in when that wyrm moved in. A lot of us died that day. It's dead In the bottom of the Lake now. You can see it's bones if you care to go boating there." She stopped and snickered. "Hobbits and boats. Now, that's something you never see."
The Dwarf formerly known as Mahal.

Chef
Istya noticed that Lily had a loving eye glancing down at her stomach, and so she smiled understandingly. "Baby is just now waking from a nap," she explained, as she reached a hand over her own stomach to see what the baby was doing. "I can feel the feet just squirming happily! Probably hungry. You may touch, if you'd like."

Istya then pointed to a simple table with two chairs in the middle of the pub, not far from everyone else in the room. It was also just enough away from the front door in order to avoid a draft. "That's probably where I will sit. Looks comfy enough. Thank you."

She started to walk that way, but she was also listening to some story being told about a dragon not too far from the bar area. She never really wanted to come face to face with a dragon, especially right now. But part of the story also made her curious and excited. Dragon stories are always good! And did she believe in them? Probably so too. Just because you can't see it doesn't make it not real.

Melkor
Melkor
Eckbert the Old

"Don't underestimate us hobbits! Erm... what is your name?" Eckbert asked while chuckling, "I forgot my manners somewhere on my road in life. I am Eckbert.

But some of us hobbits have homes under hills that could house a long beast, not necessarily a big one. Why I know of a few youngsters that even created a paper giant dragon as a prank! Oh, the screams and spankings! Hoohoo!

As for the cousins..." Eckbert then stopped as his nose wrinkled in disgust as (Dis) sat next to Eckbert,

"Aethelred, did you forget to bathe today? And are you pretending to be one of those companion dwarves of Bilbo's again?" Eckbert asked as he squinted at (Dis), "how long is your beard? Have you not shaved for 20 years? And what is with the inflection?"

Chef
Menolly licked her lips as Lily set the ale in front of her, and for a rather long moment she found herself lost in thought as she took a sip. It was the Dragon's familiar brew, and evoked memories of times long past spent with dear friends. She shook herself out of her reverie and realized she must have been lost in thought a good long while. Gwai and Eckbert were swapping tall tales about dragons, the tales getting taller by the minute, and suddenly Menolly realized she recognized Lily's new assistant.

"Pearl, isn't it?" she asked. "It has been an age, but I thought I knew your face. How are you? Looks like Lily is already keeping you busy."

Another familiar face had appeared across the room during her reverie, but it took Menolly a long moment to place. "Istya!" she called across the busy room. "Is that you? There's rather more of you than I remember," she said with a gentle laugh.

Chef
Eamila had listened to the tales Eckbert and Gwai were telling. It was quite amusing to just sit and listen. Then Dis joined in. Ea greeted her with a friendly nod. The conversation switched to dragons. Ea shivered. She was glad that no creature so vile ever had come to the Shire... the stories of old were scary enough for her!

But then... the door opened again and this time she saw another familiar face from the past.
'Oh my goodness!', Eamila called out. 'Istya! That sure is a long time ago! You look fabulous!'
She shook her head. It was amazing how all of a sudden friends from a long time ago arrived.
'Let's have a pint to celebrate', she said to herself. She walked over to the bar and looked if Lily, Narwen or Pearl had time for her.
'I'd like to order a pint and a bowl of stew please, with taters of course', she said. Then she went back to where Istya and Menolly were sitting.
'How have you been doing, Istya?'

Chef
Istya's face flushed with relief when Ea and Menolly recognized her. She looked back at Lily to indicate where she was going to sit now, thanking her wordlessly for putting up with the change. Then she carefully situated herself on one of the remaining chairs while Ea went to order from the bar stand in order to celebrate everyone's reunion.

She breathed in a sigh of relief just to be sitting down. Her little load was getting quite heavy all of a sudden. "Yeah," she sighed again. "During my time away from the Shire, I met a good-looking bachelor elf who was more than ready to marry. We got married a few short years ago. Sometimes it feels like meeting him was still just yesterday! But after we found out we were expecting, we both decided to get away from Mirkwood's more densely populated areas. Just to be on the safe side, you know? So it's nice to be back at home. I am more comfortable now, being back in my favorite hobbit hole. And I can still do quite a bit. The big thing is I just now need to pace myself."

As Ea came back, she was glad Ea was able to hear some of the story about how she had come to return to the Shire. So for just a second there, she closed her eyes and breathed in. Oh, it was definitely time for some food! But she knew she would get the energy back soon.

"So, overall, I am okay. How about you lasses? Last I remember, Menolly, you were just as good and happy as ever. I do hope that has not changed. And, Ea! I have only heard of a few of your adventures lately. But what have you been up to these days?

New Soul
Dis blinked at Eckbert"Aethelred[/b]?" She glanced around her looking for the aforesaid person. She saw Ea's nodded greeting and returned it. She noticed Eckbert wrinkling his nose and sniffing. "I had a bath this morning. Mebbe someone's got the vapors and didn't take it outside. It's not me. I saw Bilbo at the Mountain after the battle but we were never formally introduced. I'm Dis by the way. Oh, and I've had the beard longer than 20 years. Much longer. And I might be older than you." She grinned showing unusually straight teeth for a dwarf.
The Dwarf formerly known as Mahal.

New Soul
Gwai couldn't help but smile as Eckbert forgot her name. "My name is Gwai," she said politely, "And it's a pleasure to meet you!" As he went on to describe the follies of some hobbit children who got spanked after making a paper dragon, she laughed and took a sip of ale. "That sounds like the trouble I would have gotten in as a child," she commented with a rueful grin.

A dwarf (Dis) soon sat down next to Eckbert and jumped into the conversation, adding that she had not only seen a dragon, but knew where one could see the bones. Before she could ask a question, however, Eckbert commented on the dwarf's smell as well as beard size. Gwai hesitated, but Eckbert's comment seemed to be taken in a good spirit. "This Bilbo seems like quite a character, if both of you know him! I really didn't think dragons actually existed. And this Mountain seems to have been quite an adventure!" As Dis introduced herself, Gwai returned the smile. "And I'm Gwai, definitely younger than the both of you, albeit probably taller," she said with a wink. "But that means the next round is on me! Dis, what are you drinking? Eckbert, are you ready for another apple juice?" she asked, looking to flag down Lily.
Meduseld Éored

Chef
Ea had ordered and went back to Menolly and Istya as quick as she could, since she didn't want to miss anything of the stories that were told now.
'Wonderful that you've chosen to come back', she said to Istya. 'The Shire is a great place for children to grow up. A great place for grown ups too, of course. Can you believe all the things we did, back in our younger years? We had so much fun practicing in the Training Grounds, working in the Brewery and the Knitting Circle, going to the Market, and I remember even a club for gardeners. I learned so much there!'
She smiled at Istya's question.
'Oh, lots has changed for me as well. When we last met, I believe I had just become the mother of our daughter. That little baby is a teenager now, twelve years old and in the first class of what we call 'middle school'. She loves languages and writing like her mother and has Latin classes next to the normal ones. Our son came two years and two days later and will go to his last year in school after summer. I spend my days doing a bit of office work for a company nearby and for the rest I am perfectly happy working at home and in our garden, walking with our dog and doing some writing when I can. My traveling days seem to be over, but I don't mind. I still love to be out in the nature and thankfully there's lots of that here in the Shire!'
She looked around to see if one of the staff was coming with their ordered food and drinks yet. Istya looked like she could use a refreshment.
'Oh no, I forgot to asked if you wanted anything, how stupid. Can I get you two anything?'

Black Númenórean
Pearl Brockhouse

Pearl's face broke into a smile as Menolly spoke. "It has been quite some time, Menolly! I'm quite surprised you recognized me, and I apologize for my formality earlier." She laughed, then went on. "I am well! Lots of baking and eating and knitting to be done, but there's joy in those chores. How on this Middle-Earth have you been?"

As she spoke, she noticed that another of the pub's guests (Eamila) had approached the bar. "You'll have to excuse me, Menolly. I promise to come back and have a good gossip!" She nodded to her old friend and walked to the bar. The roll in her pocket was calling her name, but Pearl thought it'd be best not to eat visibly on the job on her first day.

"Hello there!" she said to the guest (Eamila). "I'll fetch your order and meet you back at your table," she said, making note of the items and scooping up a bowl, plate, and spoon from behind the bar. She pushed her way into the kitchen, and the plate slipped from between her fingers as she opened the door.

"Oh no!" she cried, seeing the glass shattered on the ground. "I'll have to clean this up before I can bring back that order. She looked high and low for a broom to sweep up the pieces and found one in the back of the kitchen. "Good thing Lily keeps a tidy pub!" she sighed, pushing the last of the pieces into a pile that she scooped up with the dustpan that had sat near the broom. "Now, where was I?"

Pearl snatched another plate from behind the bar, and filled Eamila's order of stew and taters from the stove. Once she had navigated the doorway back into the main room, she poured a pint behind the bar. Balancing things more carefully this time (she had found a handy tray for balancing the different dishes), she headed back to Eamila and Menolly's table.

"Here's your order! I'm terribly sorry about the wait. I had a little incident with a door and a plate." She blushed as she set the stew, taters, and ale before Eamila. "Now, for the introductions! I'm Pearl," she said, regaining a bit of her composure as she smiled at Eamila and their other companion (Istya). "Is there anything else I can get for you?"

Hobbit Child
Lobelia had had a long exciting day setting up her new tearoom in the market place, she couldn't wait to tell her best friend all about, she quickly popped home to wash and change then headed the short distance to her best friend's house, she was going to go to the green dragon inn to catch up with her best friend.

It was a sunny day and she skipped along the path towards her best friend Rose Sandybanks hobbit hole, greeting some neighbours on the way that where outside doing their gardening.

She reached her friend's house, she could see there was new flowers in the garden, Rose must have planted them as she loved gardening. She smiled at the pretty garden and walked up the path to the yellow hobbit hole door and knocked. She stood back, breathed in the air and the warmth from the sun was on her face. And waited for it to open.

Hobbit Child
Falco Sandybank had just sat down with a nice cup of tea and a generous helping of cake, he was in the process of taking a bite when there was a knock at the door "oh bother it, who could that be, their timing is dreadful. Marching over to the front door in frustration he nearly wrenched it open and gave the person a piece of his mind but he forgot all that when he saw who it was. "Good afternoon, Lobelia" he smiled at her "so nice to see you, but then you are here most days, arent you?" He opened the door wider so she could enter, "if you are looking for Rose, she is out in the back garden, please go through" he watched her leave and sighed if only she would notice me he thought.

Rose was busy in the garden, her dark brown curly hair was tied back from her face with a ribbon, she was wearing a pinafore over a yellow dress, she was busy replanting some flowers in the flower bed, her hands were covered in soil and she had a couple of streaks on her face. She looked up when she heard her name, "hello Lobelia my dear, where have you been today, usually I would see you before now" Rose downed tools and stood up, "I would greet you but I am rather dirty as you can see" she smiled at her friend "i was just thinking of heading to the green dragon, do you fancy it?" "Just let me clean myself up first."

Ten minutes later Rose was ready in her pale blue dress and her curly hair about her shoulders, "I'm ready my dear, shall we go?"

Esquire of The Mark
Lily knew she didn't have time to stop as they were so busy, she give a quick affectionate pat to Istya's round tummy at her invitation, said a hasty thank you and let the other hobbit take a well deserved seat, before practically running back to the bar. She was delighted to see that Pearl had everything under control with Menolly's order, though the dwarf (Nerwen) seemed to be taking some time to think about what to do - that was OK, Lily understood that starting a new job could be overwhelming, there was no need to rush anyone. "Don't worry for now, I will sort out Lotho's food order, perhaps when you're ready you could help me by wiping up some of these spills and crumbs on the bar and tables?" she said to Nerwen as she took a sip from a mug of water she kept for herself behind the bar.

Just then, she heard a crash and a cry from behind her, and carefully opened the kitchen door to see Pearl clearing up a shattered plate. Pearl had it all under control so no need to fret. Once Pearl emerged from the kitchen, this time with a tray to manage the load, Lily gave her a wink and a grin to say that accidents happen, and not to worry about it. Then, remembering that she had come back to get Lotho's food order, she nipped into the kitchen herself, taking three fat sausages off the skillet and heaping the plate with potatoes. It made Lily's tummy rumble, working with all this food!

Sailing out of the kitchen she made her way back to Lotho's table, and presented the plate with a flourish. "Sausages and taters for you, good sir" she said brightly. "I'm afraid I can't stop, though I am intrigued by your mysterious overnight tree, but I have to get Istya's order ready"

Chef
At hearing all of Eamila's news, Istya grinned. A lot had definitely happened while she had been away - more than what she felt had happened to her. But she blushed when she realized she was mentally comparing their lives together somewhere in her mind. That didn't matter. What mattered was that both of them had changed and in many good ways.

"You have a twelve year old now? I can't even imagine fully what that will look like for me when it comes time for this little one to be twelve. It sounds like you are doing things right, though. Raising two kids can't be easy, especially when trying to balance a steady job. My hat is off to you, so to speak."

Istya then switched gears, and reminisced about the time in their lives when they worked so often together before. The sweet hobbit lass bringing up other places in the Shire that, for now, were temporarily closed brought about a lot of memories. "And I do remember a lot of what we used to do together back then. Now, the Brewery - that's the one place I want to re-open right away. Some of my old parchments with all my old notes about the business have gotten lost. But I met a woman of Rohan the other day who had been able to recover a few of the old advertisements. So I think that's where I need to go once I am finished up with my meal here. But I am wondering what memories you still have about the Hobbit Defense Squad? I still remember going after Samwise's captors one day, and I think you were on that adventure. Maybe even The Shire Players's shows? Haha, we kept busy, didn't we?"

Istya looked up thankfully when she heard Lily and Pearl talking about getting her meal ready, and she acknowledged them both with a grateful smile. "Oh, good. My order is coming soon. So don't worry about me, Ea. I am famished, but I can wait. My last meal was probably just a few hours ago."

Melkor
Melkor
Eckbert the Old

“Oh! Forgive an elderly hobbit for his poor eyesight and smell,” Eckbert responded to Dis, “Well met, Dis! My I can see the whites on those dentures. So you saw the bones of the worm or the dragon? We shirefolk have tons of crawlers in our grass but they don’t seem to leave behind bones.

You speak of some sort of battle. Was that where the one where the dwarves fought off the elves, goblins, wolves, and spiders? Did ya show them what for?”

Eckbert turned to Gwai, smiling at her, “you’re a kind lass. Yes, I’m ready for another apple juice, though don’t you go be paying for it! You’re a guest in our peaceful abode after all!”

Hobbit Child
Lobelia Brindleway

The door of Rose's hobbit hole opened and there stood Rose's brother Falco. He greeted her and told her his sister was in the back garden, and she stepped into the Hobbit hole. She replied to him and said ' thank you Falco. Yes you are right, I am quite here alot lol' She replies quite shyly.

Rose's brother was around the same age as her. She never took that much notice of him really she was always coming to play with Rose since they were young and he would join in but now she was older was she looking at rose's brother more romantically? ... But in that minute he suddenly looked quite handsome, the sun had streamed into the hole and shines onto his face, making him look good looking. Lobelia had to shake the thought and said to herself to stop it as she had a good looking hobbit already that she was courting.

So with Falco's directions that Rose was in the garden she went out there and was greeted by a very dirty Rose. It was typical Rose though always in the garden potting some sort of flowers now she was older.
She answered Rose's questions. ' Oh Rose..I've had a busy day. That's why I was coming now and you have not seen me.. I'll talk to you all about it when we get to the green dragon..I'd love to tell you all about it over a nice ale on this nice sunny afternoon...'

Rose went to get changed and came back with another dress on, this time it was blue, she always knew her friend loved that colour and she always looked good in it. Lobelia answered Rose's question about being ready to go so she replied 'Yes I am indeed ready, there is a pint of ale in there with our names on it..' she beamed.
Lobelia said a cheery goodbye greeting to Falco and she was sure she saw him blush abit. They stepped out into the front garden and began walking towards the green dragon inn.

Weathered Ent
Lotho Hogfoot

"Why thank you ma'am," Lotho said accepting the large plate three fat sausages and a pile of taters. It was more that adequate to take care of his hunger pangs. He was now too intrigued by the dwarf with glossy white hair and beard to be talking about the tree in his cabbage patch. She had settled on the stool not far from his table. He had forgotten about the tree. He was staring at the back of the Dwarf's (Dis) head when the Dwarf had dropped her hood. The hair looked almost like it was glowing it was so white. White hair had a cream colored to it. Not this Dwarf's hair. Lotho was intriqued. He cleared his throat. "Hello, I don't think we have met. I am Lotho Hogfoot of Buckland."
Huorn of Fangorn

Chef
Menolly smiled as she listened to Istya's adventures. "Your sweetheart is an elf? You have had some adventures. I don't know if I'm as good and happy as ever I was, but I've been enjoying a return home as well. I started working on a farm, and I had a few adventures as folks started hiring me to take care of more and more animals. I didn't make it as far as Rivendell, but I've seen all four corners of the Shire and a few pieces outside it as well. It all became a bit too much though, so I returned home to Bywater not too long ago. It's a simple joy now to bring my house back to rights and get my garden started for spring. And to sit here and catch up with friends, of course!"

Her stomach grumbled as Pearl set the stew down in front of her. "Oh, this looks delicious!" she exclaimed, taking an enormous bite. It was delicious, but also, "Hot hot HOT!" she cried out, fanning her mouth and sticking her tongue out. "That's what I get for being impatient."

Sage of Khazad-dûm
Nerwen had momentarily lost track of time while the hustle and bustle of the pub moved around her, dreaming no doubt of home. The friendly hobbit lass introduced herself as Lily, "Good to meet you Lily, I am Ner...Gala" Nerwen tripped over her disguise name. "Yes, very strong and very good at serving in pubs. Pubs are a dwarves heart from home, or is it home from heart? I can never remember". She gave the hobbit a wide grin. Behind the bar Nerwen spotted a clean folded apron, she made her way over and flapped it open, tying it around herself with deft movements. "Does anybody need anything?" she called to the pub at large, "Or would you like me to move some barrels or other goods" she asked Lily.
Family Stealtharm | Sil's #1 Property | Knowledge of a woman, pride of a dwarf | Khazâd ai-mênu!

Chef
Ea's eyes twinkled at Istya's astonishment. 'Twelve years indeed', she laughed. 'No wonder I haven't been in the Inn for so long: I was pretty busy with the children for the last couple of years. And now it's you who is going to be mother soon. I bet you will will doing very well!' She saw Istya blush. 'I still love how age - and the difference in age - doesn't matter when you have reached a certain age', she said, then laughing at her own words. 'Here I am stammering... but you know what I mean. Being a Hobbit is what binds us all together. And all the memories we already have made in the past! The Hobbit Defense Squad is a bit blurry to me too. When I first joined, we only had practicing grounds where we were mainly playing and not practicing much. It was when Banazir was still Samwise Gamgee in the Shire. I find it hard to remember what happened later... I do remember the Gardening Club though, the Knitting Circle and the Brewery, although I don't think I visited that much. Didn't we also have some kind of a clinic??? I have a faint memory of being a nurse or something there. The Hobbit Hospital, that's what it was! Then there was the Shire Leaves... the Periannath Walking Club, o, such fond memories. I remember a Harvesting Festival, the Shire Thief Hunt, the Coney Racing... Drill teams, the Shire Olympics...'
She shook her head. 'But times have changed, haven't they? Like they always do. I have fond memories of the past, but I am very, very happy with all the things that are happening right now, including you opening the Brewery Istya! I am really looking forward to that!

At that moment Pearl brought her the much longed for ale and a plate full of stew.
'Thank you so much!', Eamila said. 'That looks lovely! And considering how busy you are, I think you served me very quick. Thank you!'

She had been warned by Menolly's 'hot, hot' so she waited a minute or two. At home she would have blown hard at her plate, but it didn't feel so dignified to do that here... So she waited until her mouth started to water so badly, that she just had to eat.
'Hmmmmm very good, this.' After the first bites she felt her stomach relax.
'That farm you worked on, sounds great!', she said to Menolly. 'You have always loved animals, haven't you? All that traveling sounds great too! Did you get to see the big sea? I've always longed to go there one day and see the Grey Havens...'

Black Númenórean
Pearl Brockhouse

Pearl grinned sheepishly at Lily, who had kindly acknowledged her blunder with the plate with a smile and a wink. She was about to approach her old friend (and new boss) to explain what had happened, when Menolly gave a cry. It seemed she had taken a bite of her still-piping hot stew and burned her tongue on it, the poor lass. As Menolly fanned her mouth, Pearl - wide-eyed with fear that her friend had been hurt - rushed to offer help. "Maybe I can get you some ice, Menolly. Would that help at all?"

"You're smart to wait," she said to Eamila. "And I don't mean to eavesdrop, but I heard you mention a gardening club!" she carried on. "I hope some of those old institutions pop back up again. I'd love to learn to do a bit better with my flowers and vegetables in my own garden, and a gardening club sounds like just the place to do that."

Chef
While listening to Menolly's adventures and Ea's retelling of what all they used to do here years ago, Istya realized her tummy was both squirming and grumbling. Hmm, she thought. I may need to ask about my order of pie and taters to see what happened with it. She giggled when she felt the baby give her what felt like a pinch on her stomach. Yep, definitely time to ask. She then decidedly brought her mind back to Middle Earth while also reminding herself to take it slow once she did get her meal. Apparently, the food was all being made to order, and was coming out nice and steaming.

"How did you like the farm life while you were out traveling, Menolly?" she wondered. "That does sound like fun. Rohan is quite the place for adventurous farming. I did a little bit of that myself there one summer. But I am not too familiar with it in other kingdoms."

"Oh, I definitely remember the Shire Hobbit Hospital, Eamila," Istya recalled quite distinctly. "I had hurt my arm once, apparently, because there was actually an article about it in The Tuckborouogh Tribune of how I had come to the hospital and collapsed right in the middle of the doorway. I didn't think it was that significant, but apparently another hobbit had. You may have even been my doctor that day."

When Pearl dropped by their table, asking about the Gardening Club, Istya leaned over and asked Pearl about her order of the pie and taters, plus apple juice. But then she swiftly also went back to talking about all the other places Ea and Pearl had been bringing up. "I remember the Gardening Club too! I wasn't always able to make it or to the Walking Club either. But whenever I was able to make it, those were fun adventures. I remember Alimah used to be in charge of the Gardening Club. I think that could be a hit to re-open up here soon. Definitely fits our hobbit nature. Cooking can be a lot of fun!"

Chef
Menolly grimaced, but as she took a sip of her ale, it quelled the burning sensation in her mouth and on her tongue. "Oh thank you Pearl, but I think I'm all right! It wath really my own fault for being too eager, but the thtew jutht looked so delithiouth..." she trailed off. "Oh dear, I think I've burnt my tongue jutht a little. Nothing another thip of ale won't cure!"

She took another sip and then a judicious bite of the stew, being careful to blow on the spoonful first. "I did get to see the sea, actually!" she said to Ea, pronouncing her S's carefully to make sure her tongue wasn't badly burned after all. "I was working out west just on the outskirts of Michel Delving and a party of elves came through on the road, and well, I sort of just followed them a short way to the sea, just to get a glimpse of it. I suppose the adventuring spirit caught me, just a little. It was...big. And more than a little scary, I don't mind admitting. But also beautiful in a way I can't really describe. Perhaps now with your children a little older, you could take the time to see it someday."

As she devoured her just perfectly warm stew, she noticed Istya still had not gotten her food. "Well, I would be happy to talk more about working with animals, but it seems you haven't gotten your meal yet, and you with two to feed! Would you like a bite of this stew to tide you over? I promise it's a much less scalding temperature now."

Black Númenórean
Pearl Brockhouse

"I'm glad you are okay, Menolly," Pearl said, smiling as her friend took a sip of ale to cool down. "And wow, the sea . . . That must have been quite an experience . . . " she drifted off, imagining an immense expanse of water that stretched to the tips of the known world. She hoped she wasn't being annoying, listening in and hearing updates from Menolly.

"Oh no!" said Pearl, when Istya prodded her politely for a status update on her order. "For some reason I thought that your order was on its way. I'm sorry about that!" She made a note of Istya's order - pie and taters, and a glass of apple juice. "I'll be back with your food and drink right away. Then we must continue to chat about this gardening club! And a walking club sounds nice. I could probably use the exercise," she said, thinking fondly of the large breakfast and second breakfast she'd already had today.

Pearl dashed off to the bar and kitchen to fetch Istya's food. She brought back a plate with a large slice of pie and an extra generous heap of taters, and a mug full to the brim with apple juice. Fortunately, there were no spills or broken dishes this time.

"Here you go," Pearl declared, setting the dishes down in front of Istya. "and there's an extra helping of taters for you in payment for your long wait," she said, hoping Lily wouldn't mind this act of customer service.

"Now as for gardening," she said, picking up the thread of their earlier conversation. "I love to grow pretty things, but haven't had much luck with growing food. I tried with some green onions recently, and they got all moldy, so I had to throw them out. I'd definitely like to help restart a group to learn more about gardening!"

Melkor
Melkor
Eckbert the Old

Unfortunately for Eckbert, the apple juice made his eyes a little heavy. His blinking began to slow, and his head started tilting forward. He rested his hands on the bar table, muttered, "I'm just gonna rest my eyes for a moment."

With that, the elderly hobbit placed his head on top of his hands, and began softly snoring in The Green Dragon Inn.