Shire Medical Clinic: Reopened and Re-Hiring

Growing food and eating it occupied most of their time.
Chef
The Shire Medical Clinic is a long-standing and well-respected organization in the Shire. Many hobbits and foreigners have come to the Shire Medical Clinic for injuries and various other misfortunes over its long existence. The hospital ensures all medical professionals employed by SMC become highly trained in their areas of expertise and in general practice. Aside from healing patients, the hospital also hires pharmacists who will make remedies and medicines in the clinic’s quieter gardening rooms. Enjoy your stay!

Clinic Staff:
Interim Chief of Staff: Istya Alassea
Honourary Headmasters: Erowen, Lalaith Mel and Eamila Bolger

Assistant Chiefs of Staff:
Currently Hiring 1 to 2

Doctors:
Currently Hiring 3 to 6 doctors

Pharmacists:
Currently Hiring 1 to 2 pharmacists

Receptionist:
Currently Hiring 1 receptionist

Social Worker:
Currently Hiring 1 social worker
*Social workers assist the hospital's very busy doctors by offering patients all potential resources, local and regional, that the clients may need once discharged. Examples of such resources may be home visit follow-ups and medicine delivery services

Hiring Notice!
Since at this time the hospital is hiring, please submit the following form when requesting a job position. You will be placed in the position once verified by current hospital staff, but you will need to go through three to six weeks of training before being considered a permanent hospital staff member.

Name:
Job Position Interest:
Preferred Day of Week for Training Sessions:

For Our Patients:
Please submit the following form to reception upon arrival to the clinic. Thank you!

Name:
Indicate Gender, If Necessary:
Please Tell Us What Happened:
Symptoms:
Doctor Needed:
(Requests may be granted in special circumstances, provided that the doctor responds adequately. In emergency, the Chiefs of Staff may be requested. Otherwise please leave this blank and watch for the next open doctor.)

Rules:
- No magic-related injuries, please. Hobbits cannot deal with potions or spells.
- Keep injuries realistic but not gory. (Family-friendly, please)
- All posts must be over 200 characters.

You may now continue injuries from previous threads as long as your doctor remains active. Please do not drag them out for an inordinate amount of time, however.

Please keep OOC comments or questions to a minimum.

Chef
It seemed insane to Istya that this was the state of things as she approached the old medical clinic, with her carrying her newborn hobbit child in one arm and a whole bag of medicines, medical supplies and paperwork upon the other arm. Just a mere two weeks ago, she had come to the Shire Medical Clinic - hoping for assistance - only to find the place closed. She and her husband had to make do by going to a medical clinic in Bree for the birth of their daughter. Now that had been a wild trip! It had driven their poor pony to a few days' rest not long afterwards.

Now she was taking out a third copy of the old key to the place from her apron pocket (somehow) in order to re-open the doors to this well-remembered Shire institution. Back in its heydey, she had merely been a patient a couple of times due to either a broken ankle or an injured wrist. She really wasn't much of a healing genius. But her trip to Bree's medical clinic had inspired her to reopen the place and take on a temporary position until it was up and running again. Then she'd be able to step back and perhaps just be a social worker or assistant to the doctors.

Good thing her adoptive mother knew all about medicines, herbs and healing practices and that her husband's parents knew just as much, if not more. She could start from there!

Once the door was opened, she set the bag of medicines and supplies upon the long-forgotten reception table, readjusted her newborn in her arms, and then set to work on cleaning up the place. Once her husband showed up to help her out, she then really began to get into it by dusting the front reception area and then by opening up all the visiting rooms for the patients and medical staff. And she already had other hobbits coming by later in the day to rebuild the greenhouse rooms where all the major healing plants would be grown and stored.

Upon opening the last visiting room door, she went back to the front of the clinic and posted the Now Hiring! sign on the front of the door. It was time to bring everyone back in!

Chef
Oh my! Eamila was surprised - most pleasantly surprised - to see the Hobbit Hospital was open again. She blushed as she saw her name written down as a honourary headmaster. It was so long ago that she had worked here... and since she had stopped when her children were born, she hadn't had any training afterwards.
A bit shy she walked over to the counter and took a form. Would it seem strange for a honorary headmaster to apply for receptionist, she wondered? She had nursing skills as well, but surely she wasn't as good as a doctor and there didn't seem to be any nurses needed. Perhaps she would be able to assist the staff when there was a need for help. She took the pen and started writing.

Name: Eamila Bolger
Job Position Interest: Receptionist (and I would be delighted to do some assisting as a nurse, when that is needed)
Preferred Day of Week for Training Sessions: Monday
Please state the nature of the medical emergency!

Chef
Not long after Istya had posted about the job openings did she see a familiar hobbit friend coming through the front door. The look on her face said everything too - that it was basically about time the Hobbit Hospital had re-opened.

Istya waved to her, glanced over the application, and then grinned. "Great! Ea, I am so glad you are here. Please, go ahead and take a seat behind the reception booth. I'd like to get you started right away."

She almost took off to catch up with the hobbits who had just arrived to help build on other parts of the hospital. But then she remembered some of the more important details. "In the meantime - as we hire and take patients - Eamila, would you like to help around here in getting the clinic back up to how it was before it last got closed? I'd love to hear your ideas, too! There is plenty of time."

Chef
(OOC Since Ea partakes in some storylines already, I am going to choose for her brother Milo to work here if that is alright with you.)

NPC Milo Bolger
A well dressed young hobbit male entered the Hobbit Hospital with a worried look on his face. As soon as he saw the receptionist, he sighed with relief.
'Oh there you are, Ea. Goodness, I've looked everywhere for you! Mum wants you to come home... little Myrthle isn't feeling well. Mum thinks she has the chicken pocks. Nothing serious, but she wants you right now, not me or her grandmother. She's been crying all morning. Surely I could take over your job here for a while?' He looked at @Istya Alassea who was standing nearby. 'I was an excellent student in Hobbit School you know, so you won't have any trouble with me filling out patient form here at the desk. The thing is: mum is going to kill me if I return without my big sister here.

Ea sighed. So that's why her little one had been so cranky all night. Chicken pocks... nothing to worry about, but she could understand very well that she was needed at home.
'I was looking forward to this job really...', she said to no-one in particular. 'But when your child is sick, you need to be there for her.' She stood up and turned around towards Istya. 'I am so sorry Istya. Is it alright if I go home and Milo takes over? He will do just fine, I can guarantee you that. He is kind, patient, bold, takes initiative and he's not afraid of blood. He will do just fine and as soon as I can, I will return here.'

Chef
Istya's brain took a second to register what was going on as Ea and Milo discussed their family emergency. Finally, she nodded, and smiled empathetically at Milo and @Eamila Bolger . "Ea, please go on ahead home. I totally understand the emergency. Milo, I can certainly get you up to speed here, so that's totally fine!"

After taking a few medical items out of a closet near her, Istya turned around and then showed Milo the receptionist desk. "Whenever a sick client comes in the hospital, please have them fill out this form," Istya said as she gestured to a long piece of parchment with a drawn chart that allowed for names, a list of current symptoms and the attending doctor. "Once a doctor is ready to check out the patient, then you may fill out the third column and introduce the patient to the doctor. The doctor may take it from there. That sounds simple enough, but you also become the face of the clinic. So please be courteous and welcoming to anyone who may come inside here!"

For a second, Istya thought about that and then considered the empty reception area around them. Hmm, no one was here. It was apparently starting out to be a good day for the town's Shirefolk. No one was sick, apparently! Maybe just hobbits with minor ailments will be coming in today.

"You know, all that just sounded pretty self-explanatory. Do you have any questions, Milo?"

Chef
NPC Milo Bolger

'Thanks so much', were Ea's last words before she left. Then Milo and Istya were left alone.
Milo listened very carefully when Istya told him about the deskwork, the form that had to be filled out and the expected behavior.
'That will be no problem at all', he reassured her. 'No further questions, I guess. Or wait... I might have one. I like making small children feel comfortable and not too scared by acting a bit... like a clown to them. Is that allowed here, or would you consider that not courteous? I know it sure helps when my little cousins have pain or have fallen or something else is bothering them. I might be helpful when a child has to wait for a doctor, or has to be distracted during a painful treatment.'
He waited patiently for Istya to answer his question. In the mean time he looked around a bit. If a doctor came in and needed supplies, he would have to know what was there and what things were used for!

Chef
Istya listened carefully to Milo's question, as she balanced a couple of books and bags in her arms that she had brought out of a storage room and into the reception area. One of the books was entitled, "Common Ailments Amongst the Shirefolk," which she placed on top of the reception area before she answered Milo.

"Humor is more often than not in good taste, especially with young hobbits," she answered, as she glanced at the doorway to see if anyone may be coming in. "What better way to get a hobbit child through a bad cold but to make them smile?"

She then rested her feet on a stool nearby, and considered the situation they were in at that moment. She then turned to Milo, and said her thoughts out loud. "How would you like to join me in on an advertising project? It might do this place some good to bring in new clients and new medical staff?"