Shire Balderdash

Growing food and eating it occupied most of their time.
Storyteller
@Aerlinn, sure I can do that from now on, no worries! I do appreciate a good bit of tag spam :smile:

Storyteller
Round 4 Results

Winners:
Derry Dol: Aerlinn
Gardyloo: Menolly
Sackville Swag: Eamila Bolger
:clap:

Leader Board:
@Lirimaer : 4
@Eamila Bolger : 4
@Menolly : 4
@Aerlinn : 3
@Zôrzimril : 2
@Istya Alassea : 1

Storyteller
Round 5

Anyone is welcome to join in at any time.

Words:

Smiggin Holes
Standelf Standoff
Bagdad

Chef
How do you even come up with those! Haha! You should be getting points for that as well! Need some thinking...
Please state the nature of the medical emergency!

Chef
Smiggin Holes - tiny holes in your cheese, cake, bread or other good food, most likely caused by fingers of hungry Hobbits who poked and wanted to taste. 'Who's been in the storage room last? There's Smiggin Holes in my apple pie!'

Standelf Standoff
- is a much loved game among Hobbit Children. It is played best in the woods. One kid counts to twenty and the others run off and hide. After counting, the kid in the middle keeps the eyes closed and the rest is allowed to sneak back as quiet as an Elf. But there is a danger... the counter could shout 'Standelf Standoff' every moment. That means he or she can open his/her eyes. Everyone who is in sight at that moment, is caught. The winner is the kid that gets to the kid who counted first and unseen. If all are caught, the kid who counted wins.

Bagdad - another word for a mathom that is too large to just put in your pockets. It partly comes from 'Baggins', who is of course the best gift-giver in the Shire and was famous for large gifts/mathoms. But the original phrase was 'Could you please bag that?' which ended up in this new word. 'Did you go to Otho Proudfoot's party? I received a nice bagdad!'

Black Númenórean
:lol: I agree with @Eamila Bolger - these terms are fantastic!

Smiggin Holes - Catchall term for any place a hobbit might hide a small snack (a "smiggin") for their own private consumption at a later time. Common locations include: behind the door of a grandfather clock, under a pillow, or in an actual hole in the ground (this last one being the origin of the phrase). Ex: "Where've you put the extra muffins? Don't tell me they're hiding away in yet another Smiggin Hole!"

Standelf Standoff - A staring contest with a twist, usually reserved for the most rowdy hobbit parties and typically taking place when the participants are several drinks in. To "Standelf" (a term inspired by the tall statures of the elves), each participant clambers onto stilts. They must maintain their balance while having a staring contest with a rival. Whoever blinks or falls first loses and owes the victor a round of ale. Ex: "Now this is a nice respectable tea party - there'll be no Standelf Standoffs today!"

Bagdad - Portmanteau of "Baggins" and "dad"; a fond nickname for Bilbo, the "father" of the Bagginses in modern memory. Ex: "Let's hear the tale of ol' Bagdad and his nephew, Frodo!"
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Storyteller
Thanks guys! They come from the strange, deep recesses of my mind. And a little bit of google inspiration too. :lol:

:conga: 24 hours left until entries close and voting opens! :conga:

Healer of Imladris
Smiggin Holes
A popular game for sunny afternoons in which ones putts a small white ball across the ground with a stick. The eventual goal is to hit it into a "smiggin" hole in as few strokes as possible. The player is likely to be thwarted by potential obstacles such as cleverly designed loop-de-loops, tiny working windmills that may knock the ball into a stream, and rickety suspension bridges.
"It's a beautiful day out there. Would you care to join me for a round of smiggin holes?"

Standelf Standoff
A situation in which two arguing parties attempt to one-up each other by way of elegance, glamor, acting "elvish," and otherwise putting on airs.
"Shame on me, but I got into a right standelf standoff over the harvest festival decorations with that Peregrin Took today. He used to be such a nice boy but now he goes all about in his fancy clothes and strange tongues and, oh, I just couldn't help myself!"

Bagdad
Alexo Chubb was a young hobbit of only modest means when he sold his first fine leather shoulder bag. Its stylish design, numerous pockets, and clever clasps were quick to draw attention and he soon found himself nearly buried in requests for new bags with this and that custom feature and alteration. The one man, spare room operation soon evolved into a Michel Delving high street affair with a showroom, several workshops, and a dozen apprentices. Chubb, now comfortably past middle-aged and affectionately known as "the Bag Dad", is still in high demand for everything from wallets to rucksacks.
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

Storyteller
I was very curious what you guys would come up with for these words, and you did not disappoint! 😆

Voting for Round 5 is now open!

Voting will be open for 24 hours-ish. Spectators may also vote.

@Lirimaer @Eamila Bolger @Menolly @Aerlinn @Zôrzimril @Istya Alassea @Blackrose Bugg

Chef
Smiggin Holes: Zôrzimril
Standelf Standoff: Aerlinn
Bagdad: Zôrzimril

Healer of Imladris
Thanks for the tags @Dwim! It keeps me on top of things.

Standelf Standoff: Eamila Bolger
Bagdad: Eamila Bolger

Warrior of Imladris
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Black Númenórean
Smiggin Holes: Eamila
Standelf Standoff: Eamila
Bagdad: Aerlinn

Storyteller
Round 5 Results

Winners:

Leader Board:
@Eamila Bolger : 6
@Lirimaer : 4
@Menolly : 4
@Aerlinn : 3
@Zôrzimril : 3
@Istya Alassea : 1

Storyteller
Round 6

:party: This will be the final round of this particular iteration of Balderdash! :party:

Words:

Scofflaw
W.A.P. (acronym or initials)
Ragamuffin

Warrior of Imladris
Scofflaw
This is a common term for the Visitors' Code of Conduct when visiting Brandybuck Hall for a fine meal. While in some lands, a child might be told to 'mind your manners or you'll never be asked to tea with the Queen', in the Shire, children are reminded of the Scoff Law, which generally means: bring a contribution, don't steal off other people's plates, don't drop food on the floor, don't start food fights. In other words, 'Food is a Precious Resource - Don't Waste It!'
"Oi, this might be a picnic, but you'll abide by the scoff law or you won't sit down for days!"

W.A.P.
Wish, Act, Profit - the instructions for developing a business, as laid down by old Forno Toadflax, owner of the biggest store in Bree. Unfortunately it didn't catch on, and his so-titled self-help book ended up not selling a copy. Since he didn't want 500 copies in his house, they were all given away as mathoms, which were subsequently passed on, and on, and on ... thus, everyone has heard of WAP and no one has any idea what it is. It is now a synonym for an unwanted gift.
"Oh, don't give me that WAP!"

Ragamuffin
This is the the imp that lurks in your larder and eats all the delicious things so that when you go hunting for them, they ARE NOT THERE. It's definitely not the children, or yourself, and your significant other swears it's not them either ... must be the Ragamuffin!
"Mama, the Ragamuffin ate all my cereal!"
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Chef
Scofflaw - Did you know Lobelia Sackville Baggins was such a perfectionist that she made fun of her neighbors for not even coughing correctly? If a hobbit coughed and then started to sneeze, according to Lobelia, that was a flawed cough. If a hobbit coughed and then started to gag, that was also a flawed cough. Hobbits from her part of town began to talk about their own flawed coughs by referring to them as "scofflaws" whenever she was around in order to tease her because at hearing the term she did not know what they were talking about. "Did you hear my wife's scofflaw just now? It sounded like Farmer Maggot's dog after he's found leftover corn."

W.A.P. - As "wild as Pippin." Hobbits from Tuckborough started to use the term to describe any hobbit child in their neighborhood that are as energetic, silly and fun-loving as Pippin. The term began to spread around the rest of the Shire shortly after the hobbits in the Fellowship of the Ring returned to their hobbit homes in honor of Pippin their hero. "I just saw that cute WAP from Hobbiton go by. She has potential, she does!"

Ragamuffin - This term originally referred to any leftover muffins that did not get eaten by the end of a hobbit's party. Later, it came to refer to any food left over after a party. "We are going to have throw these ragamuffins out, sadly. Too bad no one was able to eat them! Maybe we can bring them to the nearby pub so that its patrons can eat them tomorrow?"

Chef
Scofflaw - remember the look on your mother's face when you had been doing something naughty but looked so absolutely cute that she couldn't compose herself and look angry? That's exactly what is meant with the verb scofflaw. You will find the same thing happen to owners of puppy's or other young pet animals when they have just ruined your carpet or furniture but look so innocent and sweet that you just have to laugh. You're baffled, but there is no time for scowling, and you end up laughing and failing at being stern and angry. You're scofflawed!

W.A.P. - Wolfgang Amadeus Proudfoot, the well known and amazingly talented son of Master Nob Proudfoot and his wife Lilac. Wolfgang was only five years old when he started playing the fiddle and at the age of ten he was playing solo in a concert for the anniversary of the Mayor. He ended up touring through the Shire when he was fifteen and finally, in his tweens, he accompanied Meriadoc and Perergrin on their journeys through Middle Earth, bringing the Shire folk music to the Rohirrim, the Gondorians and the Dwarves.

Ragamuffin - a party pooper who will show up uninvited and eat all the muffins you have before all other guests have arrived and can have theirs. When there's no more muffins, he or she will start with the rest there is, without taking the other party goers into account.

Healer of Imladris
Scofflaw
to scofflaw - To attempt to bribe law enforcement, shirriffs or bounders, with a bally load o' top notch scoff.

W.A.P.
Whitfeet Above Proudfeet -- the rallying cry of the Whitfoot family and their allies in the highly contested Michel Delving mayoral race of 1413, Shire Reckoning. Chants and cries of "Will's Will Will Win! WAP! WAP! WAP!" and the opposing thunder of "PONF! PONF!" (Proudfeet Or No Feet) could be heard from Hobbiton to the Westmarch.

Ragamuffin
Raggedy muffins or otherwise less-than-beautiful baked goods, including sagging pies, fallen-in cakes, broken cookies, and shapeless lumps of scone. Whatever their looks, ragamuffins may be--and, in fact, usually are--quite delicious. Cardo Clayhanger once even attempted to open a novelty bakery in Bywater centered around the concept, but his ragamuffin desserts were paired with a rather ragged grasp of finances and the enterprise shortly collapsed.

Storyteller
That was a great round of entries to finish with! :grin:

Voting for Round 6 is now open!

Voting will be open for 24 hours-ish. Spectators may also vote.

@Lirimaer @Eamila Bolger @Menolly @Yávië @Zôrzimril @Istya Alassea @Blackrose Bugg

Chef
Yay!

Scofflaw: Yávië
W.A.P.: Istya Alassea
Ragamuffin: Lirmaer

Healer of Imladris
Can't wait to see the next version, Dwim! Thanks for the laughs everyone!

Scofflaw: Lirimaer
W.A.P.: Eamila Bolger
Ragamuffin: Lirimaer

Warrior of Imladris
Ragamuffin: Yávië

Black Númenórean
WAP: Eamila
Ragamuffin: Yávië

Storyteller
Round 6 Results

I added my votes in for W.A.P. and Ragamuffin to break the ties.

Winners:
Ragamuffin: Lirimaer

Final Leader Board

:clap: 1st Place - @Eamila Bolger : 6 :clap:
2nd Place - @Lirimaer : 5
3rd Place - @Menolly : 4
3rd Place - @Yávië : 4
Runner Up - @Zôrzimril : 3
Runner Up - @Istya Alassea : 2

Thank you to all the participants for their incredibly witty, funny and entertaining responses to the word-vomit that I spewed out. :grin: I would love to run this game again, perhaps in another kingdom first, and then possibly as an ongoing game in the Shire after that...

So I wanted to ask for some feedback. If anyone has any feedback on how the game went or suggestions for how it could be improved, please let me know! I was wondering what people thought of the voting format? Do you think it would run better in caption contest format, where the winner of a round is decided by the person who posted the words. The winner then posts three new words and chooses the winner, and it goes on in a cycle like that? Or do you prefer the voting system we had this time?

Chef
Wow, thanks! I had great fun and thought that actually all answers were so amusing!

The only feedback I would have is that perhaps in a new game you could leave the rounds open for a longer time? So more contestants could join. Or you could make the opening round last a week so that all who want to join can participate and nobody will have missed the first round of points. That way the chances of victory would be more equal.
I like that, when it's in a specific Kingdom, the descriptions are fitting for that race/kingdom.

Thank you for organizing the Shire Balderdash and for all your creativity with the words @Dwimmerlaik!

Warrior of Imladris
Exactly what @Eamila Bolger said. I agree completely. Including the thanks. Thank you. Also, well done, Ms Bolger! :rage: I'll get you next time!

I like the idea of it being a pop up thread, rather than there all the time ... and I like that it will pop up elsewhere next time. I would even suggest you have some which pop up in places not on the plaza kingdom map - e.g. Tirion, Gondolin, Harad, the Grey Havens or Doriath.

Healer of Imladris
What they said!

I love this as a pop up thread in different places, so that the words/definitions can be tailored to that location/people. And like @Lirimaer, I'd extra love for it to turn up some place like Gondolin--a hilarious and not too time-consuming thread to expand the borders of the Plaza, so to speak. I think the current voting system and a general timeline of about a month to a month in a half is good for a pop up series too.

Anyways, thanks for the laughs @Dwimmerlaik and everyone! *bows to @Eamila Bolger* Y'all are the best!

Black Númenórean
This was a fabulous game, @Dwimmerlaik! +1 to what's already been said, especially to a bit more time to submit responses, as sometimes I need to let the hilarious terms marinate for a while before submitting. :lol: Congrats @Eamila Bolger!

Chef
This was super fun! Sorry I dropped off a bit at the end. I would like a little more time for both submitting responses and voting, because I somehow managed to miss the voting round almost every time. I love the idea of it popping up in other kingdoms and representing other areas.
they/them/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

Storyteller
Thanks for the feedback guys, it is very helpful and I really appreciate it. :thumbs:

- It looks like everyone's in consensus that the rounds should last longer, so in the next thread I'll be looking to open entries each round for one week. Then I'll extend voting to 48 hours rather than 24 hours.
- I have taken on board the popularity of the "pop-up thread" concept and will look to take the game on a little world tour with kingdom or area specific themes.

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing you all in the next game, which I'll probably post once Halloween is done. :grin: