The Ringwraith Review

"Going to Mordor!" Cried Pippin. "I hope it won’t come to that!"
Warden of Keys
1. What TV series or movie (besides LOTR) could you happily watch any time?
This is very difficult to narrow down, because there are so many. I'm going to choose based on the criteria of "if I catch it on TV I'm always going to watch it." That narrows it down, but still difficult to choose between The Goonies and The Princess Bride. I think The Princess Bride takes it.

2. If you could only pick one weapon to take into the zombie apocalypse, what would it be?
Oh my, I'll probably be zombie food if I'm expected to combat zombies. I don't want anything that requires ammunition because I'd eventually run out of it. Although the question doesn't specify that it has to be a "real" weapon, so an imperial storm trooper blaster would be perfect. I suppose that would be cheating :grin: ...so it'll have to be my smith and wesson 9 mm. Light, durable, easy to use. Won't take their head off but that's overkill.

3. What's one thing you really want to do before the end of this year?
A vacation anywhere outside of my state.

he/him
Is busier than Gollum at a salmon market

Istari Sage
1. What TV series or movie (besides LOTR) could you happily watch any time? 12 Angry Men, Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World, (some seasons of) Archer
2. If you could only pick one weapon to take into the zombie apocalypse, what would it be? I'm not sure, but something that can 1) destroy from a distance and 2) doesn't use ammo.
3. What's one thing you really want to do before the end of this year? This summer I really want to take some detailed literature notes for better lesson planning for the upcoming school year. I can do a bit during the school year but it's tough. I also would like to start essay writing regularly, in some form.

Councillor of Elrond
1. What TV series or movie (besides LOTR) could you happily watch any time? Battlestar Galactica (it's honestly my go to when I'm prepping for stock for conventions) also that intro by McCreary is to die for.
2. If you could only pick one weapon to take into the zombie apocalypse, what would it be? Kukri yes it's close range but incredibly versatile and stupid sharp, also the bend helps with pulling it if it gets stuck in hard surfaces I've found.
3. What's one thing you really want to do before the end of this year? I want to get the prologue of my graphic novel done and started on the first chapter if at all possible but that is slipping away so far sadly (Also I want to finish at least two of my fursuits that have been on hold for almost 5 years because I've been too busy to sew and sculpt them)

Alwin Lowdham
Alwin Lowdham
1. What TV series or movie (besides LOTR) could you happily watch any time? Hit 90's sitcom Dinosaurs.
2. If you could only pick one weapon to take into the zombie apocalypse, what would it be? Poleaxe. Stabby at distance. Slashing at distance. No ammo for unfortunate poignant lack for dying. If anything gets too close you're screwed anyhow. My zombie apocalypse is heavily troped.
3. What's one thing you really want to do before the end of this year? [sanitized for content]

Fea
1. What TV series or movie (besides LOTR) could you happily watch any time? Taskmaster
2. If you could only pick one weapon to take into the zombie apocalypse, what would it be? Something I could carry, so maybe a crowbar or something. Also crowbar could be useful to open doors and stuff. Not that I have any idea how to use one to do that. But you know, theoretically.
3. What's one thing you really want to do before the end of this year? Run a half-marathon! And I've officially got a spot now on the London one in August. Nervous excitement all round.

Chef
Excellent answers all around! Honorable mention to @Fuin Elda because Bear McCreary is just the best, but next round goes to @Nessa Saelind because I'm both scared and intrigued by your choice of zombie weapon. :lol:
she/her/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

Ancalagon
Ancalagon
1. What TV series or movie (besides LOTR) could you happily watch any time? Breaking Bad!
2. If you could only pick one weapon to take into the zombie apocalypse, what would it be? A katana
3. What's one thing you really want to do before the end of this year? Go home to Denmark and visit my family :(

Ioreth the Healer
Ioreth the Healer
Thanks @Menolly :smooch: now let me think of some interesting questions *jumps on the struggle bus*

1. If you could only write with one instrument (goose quill, fountain pen, ballpoint pen, felt-tip pen, rollerball pen, gel pen, pencil, etc.) which would it be?
2. If Tolkien's works were translated to your native language who was or who were the translators? Alternative if your native language is English have you read any of Tolkien's works in translation?
3. If you could be a cat for a day, what kind of cat would you be?
Wyrdwritere. She/her. I contain multitudes.

Warden of Keys
1. If you could only write with one instrument (goose quill, fountain pen, ballpoint pen, felt-tip pen, rollerball pen, gel pen, pencil, etc.) which would it be?
Definitely not a pencil, because they are the worst for lefties like me. The struggle of graphite being caked onto the side of my hand. :headshake: So, gel pens because it takes me back to a time when life was simpler.

2. If Tolkien's works were translated to your native language who was or who were the translators? Alternative if your native language is English have you read any of Tolkien's works in translation? Native language is English and I have not read any other translations. If I knew Finnish I would want that translation

3. If you could be a cat for a day, what kind of cat would you be? Hmm..a snow leopard they look cool and they're mostly active at dawn, which I am a habitual early riser.

he/him

Istari Sage
1. If you could only write with one instrument (goose quill, fountain pen, ballpoint pen, felt-tip pen, rollerball pen, gel pen, pencil, etc.) which would it be? Golly, I don't know the difference between all these types of pens. The one I use most often is honestly a whiteboard marker for school though, so probably that.
2. If Tolkien's works were translated to your native language who was or who were the translators? Alternative if your native language is English have you read any of Tolkien's works in translation? I have read a lot of things in translation, but not Tolkien. It'd be fun to read it in some in-universe language eh?
3. If you could be a cat for a day, what kind of cat would you be? Puss in Boots, accept no substitutes.

Chef
1. If you could only write with one instrument (goose quill, fountain pen, ballpoint pen, felt-tip pen, rollerball pen, gel pen, pencil, etc.) which would it be? If you mean one single writing instrument, something where I could refill the ink or lead so it would never run out. But if you mean one type, probably just a regular old ballpoint pen. Pencils are the worst for lefties (heyoooo fellow lefty @Boromir88) and I very rarely need to erase anything, I can just strike through and keep writing.
2. If Tolkien's works were translated to your native language who was or who were the translators? Alternative if your native language is English have you read any of Tolkien's works in translation? I read part of the hobbit in Spanish way back when my Spanish was much better than it is now.
3. If you could be a cat for a day, what kind of cat would you be? The black-footed cat, because it's the most successful predator of the cats. Or a bobcat, because they're my favorite. Or a house cat, because let's face it, that's the easy life. Or a clouded leopard, to be able to climb trees so easily. Or a lynx, to walk on top of the snow with built in snowshoes. Or a snow leopard, to scale mountain cliffs like it's nothing. Or a caracal for the spectacular ears and the high jump skills. Or a manul, for the sassy attitude. This is a very hard question and I would like to be each cat species for a day please.
she/her/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

Beorn
Beorn
1. If you could only write with one instrument (goose quill, fountain pen, ballpoint pen, felt-tip pen, rollerball pen, gel pen, pencil, etc.) which would it be? I'd love to learn to write with a saxophone
2. If Tolkien's works were translated to your native language who was or who were the translators? Alternative if your native language is English have you read any of Tolkien's works in translation? Native English speaker, but I do speak Spanish, I have a copy of The Hobbit as a graphic novel in Spanish, translated by on Lorenzo Diaz
3. If you could be a cat for a day, what kind of cat would you be? a skogkat, dignified fluffballs
My heart is pure but my church is black

Tilion
Tilion
1. If you could only write with one instrument (goose quill, fountain pen, ballpoint pen, felt-tip pen, rollerball pen, gel pen, pencil, etc.) which would it be? This particular 0.5mm mechanical pencil. I have PREFERENCES, ok? :lol:
2. If Tolkien's works were translated to your native language who was or who were the translators? Alternative if your native language is English have you read any of Tolkien's works in translation? I've never read any Tolkien outside of English! And the list of translations on wikipedia seems to indicate that there aren't any published translations in any modern Celtic languages which is a crime.
3. If you could be a cat for a day, what kind of cat would you be? Tiger!
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Councillor of Elrond
1. If you could only write with one instrument (goose quill, fountain pen, ballpoint pen, felt-tip pen, rollerball pen, gel pen, pencil, etc.) which would it be? Does write include doing art or is that free to use whatever? If I'm stuck with just one for both pencil. HB .7 lead. IF they are separate, I really like a good high end fountain pen.
2. If Tolkien's works were translated to your native language who was or who were the translators? Alternative if your native language is English have you read any of Tolkien's works in translation? English is my native language. If I ever got fluent enough I'd probably want to read it in Spanish (that's the language that I'm closest to being able to stumble through a basic question and answer conversation...)
3. If you could be a cat for a day, what kind of cat would you be? Snow Leopard super floofy, doesn't like to be bothered (and will change it entire schedule to avoid being bothered if humans come into their area) can carry more than their body weight and did you see that video where it takes a goat/deer off of a cliff stays with the animal the entire like hundred or more meter drop onto the next level???? I wanna do that.

Beorn
Beorn
Fleeg wandered into the great Ringwraith Review, saw no one was asking any interesting questions at the moment (he had no idea what a Tolkien was, why anyone would write with a tuba, or why anyone would rather be a cat when they could be a goblin), picked up the random egg on the ground, and ate it.

Ancalagon
Ancalagon
1. If you could only write with one instrument (goose quill, fountain pen, ballpoint pen, felt-tip pen, rollerball pen, gel pen, pencil, etc.) which would it be? Rollerball pen, think it is easiest to use.
2. If Tolkien's works were translated to your native language who was or who were the translators? Alternative if your native language is English have you read any of Tolkien's works in translation? Apparently Ida Nyrop Ludvigsen. Never heard of her and never going to read the Danish version. I only read books in English.
3. If you could be a cat for a day, what kind of cat would you be? Garfield. Sleep and Lasagna, sounds like my kind of life.

Ioreth the Healer
Ioreth the Healer
It's been a week, so I guess it's time for new questions. :grin: My choice for the next question master is @Call of Bearthulhu because I'd love to learn how to write with a saxophone too :lol:

1. If you could only write with one instrument (goose quill, fountain pen, ballpoint pen, felt-tip pen, rollerball pen, gel pen, pencil, etc.) which would it be? - Fountain pen, because my hand doesn't hurt when I write with fountain pens for a long time
2. If Tolkien's works were translated to your native language who was or who were the translators? Alternative if your native language is English have you read any of Tolkien's works in translation? - The first person who translated Tolkien's work to Croatian was the late Zlatko Crnković who didn't really like Tolkien all that much so he didn't do a stellar job... The second translator was Vladimir Cvetković Sever who did an awesome job and I cannot praise him enough! The latest translator of Tolkien's works is Marko Maras who apparently (I haven't read it so I don't know, this is what I've heard) translated the names and surnames of characters too which is erm a choice, but I'm reserving my judgement.
3. If you could be a cat for a day, what kind of cat would you be? - The chonkiest and laziest cat on the planet :grin:

Beorn
Beorn
1. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag?
2. Ghosts or Aliens, what's the question and which one is it?
3. Opera, where do you stand?

Ancalagon
Ancalagon
1. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag? All hail Cthulhu!
2. Ghosts or Aliens, what's the question and which one is it? The question is aliens.
3. Opera, where do you stand? Dislike, a lot.

Tilion
Tilion
1. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag? Sgleinio fel ceilliau ci
2. Ghosts or Aliens, what's the question and which one is it? Ghosts, all theatres have them. If nothing else, they're excellent scapegoats.
3. Opera, where do you stand? I don't stand, I sit behind the lighting console in the booth making the singers look pretty and enhancing the drama. Opera YES.

Istari Sage
1. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag? Nah
2. Ghosts or Aliens, what's the question and which one is it?The question: What is the creature in The Horla? Answer: Yes?
3. Opera, where do you stand? I appreciate it more than I like it. I wish I was good enough to sing it.

Councillor of Elrond
1. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag? - We are the dream
2. Ghosts or Aliens, what's the question and which one is it? Both and the question which exist. (Ghosts because Moriel is dead to rights on theatres having them. And Aliens because quite frankly in a billion billion worlds if we were the only to have life, even if it is not how we know it that would be quite a waste.)
3. Opera, where do you stand? Yes. I like it. Especially the older classics. I use to want to sing it but grew up outside my provinces capitol so no funding for opera where I lived at all never mind proper theatre

Ioreth the Healer
Ioreth the Healer
1. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag? - What the Evil Eagle said above.
2. Ghosts or Aliens, what's the question and which one is it? - 42. :lol: Ghosts.
3. Opera, where do you stand? - I usually sit in the fancy seat because if you have it, flaunt it. :lol: I enjoy it very much.

Esquire of The Mark
1. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag? No, I'm an atheist. https://youtu.be/0afv4HvUpgk
2. Ghosts or Aliens, what's the question and which one is it? Ghosts. Yes, I'm scared of them.
3. Opera, where do you stand? Don't like it.

Counsellor of Gondor
1. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag? :shrug:
2. Ghosts or Aliens, what's the question and which one is it? Neither! :googly: How about birds though?
3. Opera, where do you stand? Meh... Not in awe of it.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Warden of Keys
1. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag? *Remembers my years of coaching young ones who would often go on about subjects I had no idea what they were talking about* "Oh, is that so? Neat. Yeah...interesting."

2. Ghosts or Aliens, what's the question and which one is it? Aliens. The question is: what advanced culture, with vast technological and space travel capabilities, seeks out new life and new civilization to troll it with crop designs in the middle of nowhere Iowa?

3. Opera, where do you stand? I always thought it was rude to stand at an Opera?

he/him

Councillor of Imladris
1. Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtag? HUH???
2. Ghosts or Aliens, what's the question and which one is it? Alien Ghosts?
3. Opera, where do you stand? On the stage!

Beorn
Beorn
Well you've all disappointed me in one way or another. I'm not angry, just disappointed. And since none of you could give satisfactory answers to my legit and totally real questions I will declare an open floor and see which one of you little musk rats can scurry and grab the throne first.

Tilion
Tilion
If you had put my answer the the first question into google and translated it you totally would have picked me so I'm gonna take the floor

1. What is your favorite insult or/and curse in any language you are aware of?
2. If you answered yes (in some fashion) to opera, what is your favorite opera? If you answered no (in some fashion), maybe a play or a musical? Which one?
3. If you've had to spend a lot of time on zoom (or similar) during the COVID-times, how has your dress code/etiquette evolved over time? If you haven't, how did you get so lucky?

Ancalagon
Ancalagon
@Ambivalent Octopus I did answer, one can not put a queston mark on a statement and make it a question, because Cthulhu isnt waiting, obviously he is out there wreaking havoc already :P

1. What is your favorite insult or/and curse in any language you are aware of?
The f word I guess, I do swear like a sailor at home, since I cant at work
2. If you answered yes (in some fashion) to opera, what is your favorite opera? If you answered no (in some fashion), maybe a play or a musical? Which one? Joseph and the amazing technicolour dreamcoat, the Donny Osmond version.
3. If you've had to spend a lot of time on zoom (or similar) during the COVID-times, how has your dress code/etiquette evolved over time? If you haven't, how did you get so lucky? Not lucky, I had to go to work instead..

Beorn
Beorn
@Moriel Dog teacakes have little to do with Cthulhu, that's the start of an interersting poem :lol: (I found another filter!!)
@Winddancer you got the Cthulhu question right, but your opera answer was dead wrong :rasp:

1. What is your favorite insult or/and curse in any language you are aware of? I'm quite partial to cabron or pendejo myself
2. If you answered yes (in some fashion) to opera, what is your favorite opera? If you answered no (in some fashion), maybe a play or a musical? Which one? cliche maybe, but I love Wagner's Ring Cycle. I've never been able to see it live but I've listened to several full performances and they're always delightful
3. If you've had to spend a lot of time on zoom (or similar) during the COVID-times, how has your dress code/etiquette evolved over time? If you haven't, how did you get so lucky? I've been on exactly 6 Zoom calls, 2 were martial arts related, 1 was to my mother, and 3 were prospective apartments in Seattle. I wore my regular run of the mill clothing (ie no inverted crosses, pentagrams, or trip 6's)

Ioreth the Healer
Ioreth the Healer
1. What is your favorite insult or/and curse in any language you are aware of? Croatian is a fantastic language for insults, curses and swear words in general. Frankly, all Balkan languages are. :lol:
2. If you answered yes (in some fashion) to opera, what is your favorite opera? If you answered no (in some fashion), maybe a play or a musical? Which one? I like Wagner, he's very dramatic. But a firm favourite is a Croatian opera Ero s onoga svijeta (Ero from the other world) by Jakov Gotovac.
3. If you've had to spend a lot of time on zoom (or similar) during the COVID-times, how has your dress code/etiquette evolved over time? If you haven't, how did you get so lucky? No Zoom for me during COVID, mostly because I work alone in the office and I had to go to the office. So yay? *thinking face*

Councillor of Elrond
1. What is your favorite insult or/and curse in any language you are aware of? Honestly if I wanted to see a dumpster fire, I'd have gone to the North end and lit one myself yet here you are.
2. If you answered yes (in some fashion) to opera, what is your favorite opera? If you answered no (in some fashion), maybe a play or a musical? Which one? Carmina Burana - My bestie is named after it and we (and by we I mean mostly her because she's better trained than me I just flounce along attempting to hit the notes and she humors me) sing it in my car on road trips.
3. If you've had to spend a lot of time on zoom (or similar) during the COVID-times, how has your dress code/etiquette evolved over time? If you haven't, how did you get so lucky? I work as a tattoo artist I've been on zoom twice with family. I wore pajamas because fredgar them wanting me awake at 9am because they are on the east coast. (My dresscode has not evolved at all I wear sweats to work)

Maeglin
Maeglin
1. What is your favourite insult or/and curse in any language you are aware of?
Honestly the Tv series Blackadder has some of the best amusing insults I have ever laughed at. ie '.. You ride a horse rather less well than another horse would. Your brain would make a grain of sand look large and ungainly and the part of you that can’t be mentioned, I am reliably informed by women around the court, wouldn’t be worth mentioning even if it could be. If you put on a floppy hat and a funny codpiece, you might just get by as a fool, but since you wouldn’t know a joke if it got up and gave you a haircut, I doubt it.:lol:

2. If you answered yes (in some fashion) to opera, what is your favourite opera? If you answered no (in some fashion), maybe a play or a musical? Which one?
The only opera I can stand is 'The Pirates of Penzance', obviously. But I have enjoyed many musicals; my current favourite is still 'Wicked'.

3. If you've had to spend a lot of time on zoom (or similar) during the COVID-times, how has your dress code/etiquette evolved over time? If you haven't, how did you get so lucky?
Since our department has to socially distance, only half of us are allowed to work in the office at any one time right now. So we swop fortnightly. To keep in touch we have regular team meetings on an equivalent of zoom. While I am in the office it is all the usual professional garb, but while at home I do enjoy wearing smart jumpers/tops with my pyjama trousers. There is something very satisfying about being lapse without the boss even noticing. :grin:
The board is set. The pieces are moving.

Esquire of The Mark
1. What is your favourite insult or/and curse in any language you are aware of? Sprock.
2. If you answered yes (in some fashion) to opera, what is your favourite opera? If you answered no (in some fashion), maybe a play or a musical? Which one? I love musicals. My favourite is The Phantom of the Opera (the 2004 movie)
I don't have a dress code at all. :lol: I'm never seen on screen so no one sees what I'm wearing. :grin:

Tilion
Tilion
Oh shoot I'm supposed to choose someone.

I'm gonna go with @Rior Laegiel because Phantom is the reason I went into theatre and while there were some issues with the 2004 movie it was BEAUTIFUL and very much in the spirit of the show despite its flaws.

Esquire of The Mark
Thank you @Moriel

1. Your main character has been given an Oliphaunt. They can't get rid of it. What would they do with it?
2. If your life was made into a musical, which music genre would the songs be taken from?
3. If the universe if finite, what would beyond the edge of the universe be like?

Councillor of Elrond
1. Your main character has been given an Oliphaunt. They can't get rid of it. What would they do with it? I'll admit I read rid as ride first and was like... I guess we are figuring out how long it takes to spit roast an oliphant. :lol:
2. If your life was made into a musical, which music genre would the songs be taken from? Any musical about my life would be a gong show because it wouldn't take from a single genre. Though it would generally avoid purely jazz music.
3. If the universe if finite, what would beyond the edge of the universe be like? Well since everything in the universe expands from our point of view we would never be able to reach the edge of the universe as the closer we move to it the further away from us it would get based on the science that if you take an image from any particular point in space (not just earth) we see that it is expanding away in all directions regardless of the initial point.

Beorn
Beorn
1. Your main character has been given an Oliphaunt. They can't get rid of it. What would they do with it?
Frost - figure out how to ride it and build an army out of it
Finnbarr - figure out how the flying fredegar to get an elephant onto a ship
Fleeg - a black hole opens up and swallows everyone because Fleeg with an Oliphaunt is too much to handle
2. If your life was made into a musical, which music genre would the songs be taken from?every character will sing in some form of metal (black metal, power metal, speed metal, symphonic metal, folk metal, etc.)
3. If the universe if finite, what would beyond the edge of the universe be like? full of unaccompanied socks, half used pens, and keys

Counsellor of Gondor
1. Your main character has been given an Oliphaunt. They can't get rid of it. What would they do with it? House it somewhere on Pelennor until she figures out how to have it be useful except for Minas Tirith folk to wonder at.
2. If your life was made into a musical, which music genre would the songs be taken from? Something that sounds like a forest. :tongue:
3. If the universe if finite, what would beyond the edge of the universe be like? I am sure that in no time scientists would hang in the ropes off the cliff and explore what the underside of the universe looked like.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Ioreth the Healer
Ioreth the Healer
1. Your main character has been given an Oliphaunt. They can't get rid of it. What would they do with it? - Hmmm, tough one... Keep them safe until she figured out how to return them back home.
2. If your life was made into a musical, which music genre would the songs be taken from? Hopefully the magnum opus of Bear McCreary.
3. If the universe if finite, what would beyond the edge of the universe be like? Turtles all the way down, mate. :lol:

Snaga
1. Your main character has been given an Oliphaunt. They can't get rid of it. What would they do with it? Crush my enemies I guess?
2. If your life was made into a musical, which music genre would the songs be taken from?
I'd like to think punk rock but probably something closer to pop punk.
3. If the universe if finite, what would beyond the edge of the universe be like? The other side of the universe

Ancalagon
Ancalagon
1. Your main character has been given an Oliphaunt. They can't get rid of it. What would they do with it? Run rampage through the Shire
2. If your life was made into a musical, which music genre would the songs be taken from? Symphonic metal/rock
3. If the universe if finite, what would beyond the edge of the universe be like? Beyond that is the Nothingness (like Neverending story)

Chieftain of Durins Folk
Teach it my character's hidden dwarven name in the event that she forgets it herself in her old age. An Oliphant never forgets.
Folk, soft rock preferably sung/recited by Leonard Cohen.
3. If the universe if finite, what would beyond the edge of the universe be like? Like clouds:
Rows and floes of angel hair
And ice cream castles in the air
And feather canyons everywhere
I've looked at clouds that way
Joni Mitchell
'I would not have you go without seeing Kheled-zâram.'

Arien
Arien

Ride it, of course

Comic opera

3. If the universe if finite, what would beyond the edge of the universe be like?

BLUE. DUCK EGG BLUE
she/her/probably a shapeshifter

Child of The Mark
Attach a huge sleigh and invite all the Riders and their horses along. Hannibal expedition 2.0!
Orchestra meets funk
A big pair of eyes staring back at you.