The Hall of Barad-dûr: Mordor OOC

"Going to Mordor!" Cried Pippin. "I hope it won’t come to that!"
Balrog
Just had a ghost of an idea, if I were to try and run a sort of faux boot camp on the essentials to writing evil characters (all done IC) would there be any interest? I'm specifically looking at the Freep centric writers here. Also it could help boost Mordor's participation by kidnapping people inviting them to a semiserious sorta thing.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Istari Sage
@Sorceress I would certainly be interested in something like that. I've written victims in Mordor before but I've not really played a "villain" or really done much writing from the perspective of one. Let's be honest, I could use all the help I can get in terms of writing :lol: I'd love to learn from some of the more prolific and talented folks here, yourself included.

Balrog
Flattery will get you... places! I don't think I'm all that talented but I do think I can make a decent villain. I think you're a damn good writer and I would be happy to torture show you the ropes. Depending on how many people might actually be interested I could end up making a new thread or just popping over into the Mordor Free RP, it's not like I have a thousand stories going in there already :lol:

Now to figure out who would do the teaching, I have a couple of minion characters at least :mwahaha:
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Black Númenórean
Oooo, this sounds like a great idea! :whip: More villains, more, more, MOAR!!
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Wainrider
Playing villains is easy! You just need to be obsessed about clobbering freeps, especially elvenses.
And then be paranoid that they don't clobber you back...

Balrog
:lol: well, I suppose that is one way to play a villain. But every once in a while, you need play a Hans Grubber type to remind people that the monsters aren't always under the bed or in the closet, sometimes you invite them over for tea without even realizing

Master Torturer
And sometimes the monster is a freep..

Balrog
All Freeps are monsters, they're the absolute worst

Orc Chieftain
I first conjured up Naelia on the original TORC (the One Ring.com) site (they redid it a while back, but I don't post there much), though I didn't have a name for her at the time. I've changed her around a bit since my original incarnation (like having her captured during a scouting mission near Northern Mirkwood rather than having her mother sneak into Mordor, otherwise she would have been killed a lot sooner than she actually was), but once had her run a single marathon in a single post (it was in the Army thread on the Old Plaza), so I've learned quite a bit since then!

I find villains easier to play than heroes, since you really get to tap into your "dark side" so to speak. Naelia has no remorse of torturing her very own half-sister (since she mostly thinks that Lathana is nothing but a nuisance), whereas someone like Talina (one of my few "lighter" characters) would probably try and help her.
:whip:
He who commands the Ruling Ring... commands all

Istari Sage
I'm going to work on a character to play in Mordor (that's not a slave/victim). If I wanted to join the "army" (as I note there appears to be some renown stuff in various threads) is this the place to sign up: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=117 do I need to do that first? I was going to add the character to this too viewtopic.php?f=14&t=851&p=49993#p49993 and play both them (whoever they end up being) and Baldir.

Orc Chieftain
There is no sign up thread (it's not like it was on the Old Plaza), you just post in the thread with your character and your location. Every post earns you Renown. The reason Naelia has 5 is because I posted twice in The Black Host thread, and three times in the Army RPG thread entitled Raiding for Slaves. Now that Naelia has earned 5 Renown, she's free to join a division (on the Old Plaza, she was a Dildhan of the Blades, so I'm not sure what would be the equivalent in the revamped version, perhaps Infantry). If you wish to have a trainer you can ask for one here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=292

Istari Sage
Awesome thanks! Is the Tower of Might still going? I saw you recently posted there. If yes does it also count?

Now to decide what type of baddie I want to play. So many choices!

Orc Chieftain
The Tower of Might is something separate, part of the Towers of No Return, but it can still earn you Army Renown. There are two Towers: One for Knowledge and the other for Might. I chose Might because Naelia would rather fight her way out than gain knowledge about an opponent's weakness to possibly use that against them (she finds knowledge for "sissies"). It's still going, but the threadrunner might be busy at the moment. She'll respond to it as soon as she logs back on (since you get a notification that someone posted in the thread, or at least I think you do).

Balrog
There are a lot of semiregular threads in which you can earn renown too (and on the plus side, yo can use multiple characters to earn renown, sorta like a bucket of renown everyone chips into).

The Necromancer's Guild - essentially a fight club where you can go and try to impress the bosses
The aforementioned Tower of Might
Anything in the Army thread (I have a little mission here, I started if you want to jump in)
Cirith Ungol'
Dol Guldur
I assume you could also do something in Angmar and Minas Morgul but you might want to run it by @Moriel as she's the TR in those thread

<Edit: Also the Warg Pits>

Black Númenórean
Totally fine with me, but let's check with @Winddancer! If she says it's ok I'll add a note to the OPs of Angmar and Morgul stating you can earn renown there :grin:

Istari Sage
Thanks for all the info! And yeah I’ll probably write up something to join your mission @Sorceress I was going to ask if you were still interested in doing that. A character is developing in my mind. I’ll post something soon(tm). Thanks for all the help everyone! I look forward to getting up to some mischief.

Balrog
Right on @Romeran! Look forward to seeing you there. Hit me up on Discord if you want to plot (or we can fly by the seat our pants too and chaos post)

Master Torturer
Any Army post anywhere with anyone (as long as it is a minion) will earn you renown. I would even think the Shadows thread would qualify if we are listing them all :)

Black Númenórean
The Dragon has spoken! Will update my OPs accordingly :dance:

Newborn of Imladris
Hi minions.. so what did I miss?
“There are few even in Rivendell that can ride openly against the Nine; but such as there were, Elrond sent out north, west, and south,”.

Master Torturer
@Aranadhel An army rpg, go join!

Newborn of Imladris
Please brief me on this army rpg.... sil vou plais
“There are few even in Rivendell that can ride openly against the Nine; but such as there were, Elrond sent out north, west, and south,”.

Balrog
@Aranadhel: Raiding for slaves, Windy lays it all out quite well in the OP. A village has been raided and slaves have been taken. At present, you can play a raider or a raidee (that's a word trust me) as the slaves are being moved back to Mordor for... slave things

Orc Chieftain
Just don't try to rescue Lathana, since Naelia will probably kill you on the spot! Lathana's going back to the Pits (or something worse, depending on how the RPG goes, since she has to suffer the consequences for trying to escape on countless occasions) whether she likes it or not! The only reason Naelia rescued her nuisance of a half-sister from Mord is because she is the only person that is going to make Lathana's life more miserable that it already is! If she wanted to avoid this torment, Lathana should have stayed in Northern Mirkwood or went to live with her father (since she only shares a mother with Naelia, who is now deceased for attempting to take the minioness away from the only life she ever knew). :whip:

Newborn of Imladris
Sorceress wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:04 pm @Aranadhel: Raiding for slaves, Windy lays it all out quite well in the OP. A village has been raided and slaves have been taken. At present, you can play a raider or a raidee (that's a word trust me) as the slaves are being moved back to Mordor for... slave things
The raiders or raidees must only be Orcs or?

Orc Chieftain
No, the raiders are minions, so they can be any race loyal to the Dark Lord. Naelia's a Black Numenorean with Moriquendi blood (that often shuns her Elven heritage, which is why she keeps her hair long, to hide the points of her ears, which is her only Elven feature, since she resembles her father more than her late mother). She has an Orcish helper by the name of Orngor, but he's not participating in this (or at least not this part of it, since Naelia also brought along her pet dragon, Drinch). Same with the raidees, they can be any of the free peoples, regardless of their heritage. Lathana, Naelia's half-sister on her mother's side, is a Mirkwood Elf who has fair hair and eyes (or rather, eye, since she's already lost one) similar to Galadriel's (which is why some find it hard to believe that she's related to Naelia, since they look nothing alike).

Master Torturer
As LoS said, you are free to pick your poison! Though I would appreciate no evil hoppits or the like :P But that is personal taste lol

Master Torturer
@Romeran your picture in the Army thread doesnt work, you need to upload your picture to a host like imgbb .com and then copy the link from there :) (sorry for the double post but mentions dont appear when edited in) Btw there is a space in the address site above as it wont let me post this whole O.o

Istari Sage
Oh hmm is it still not viewable? I had used tinyurl but noticed that’s didn’t work after a short time and do I switched it and I thought it worked but maybe it only looks right on my browser?

Master Torturer
It will on yours, but I cant see it :) The link you have doesnt look like a tiny url link though, its a very long google one, sure you put the right link in?

Newborn of Imladris
So I can choose to be an Elf or a Black Numenorean?

And who's the Heroes and the Antagonists amongst youse?

Master Torturer
Well the heroes depend on which side you are on ;) As for BN or elf, I mean if you have a good backstory for why they are there, then I dont see the harm. Timeline is just before the destruction of the ring if that helps. Most of the captives are from Rohan and most of the raiders are orcs/evil humans/uruks.

Istari Sage
Huh well I guess google photo straight up doesn’t work even with a shared photo. I tried again @Winddancer using the website you suggested. Does that work now? I now no longer trust that I can see it as that seems to indicate absolutely nothing.

New Soul
@Romeran if this --> <-- is the image we're supposed to see, I can see it :grin:
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Istari Sage
Huzzah! Thanks @Nessa Saelind

Newborn of Imladris
Winddancer wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:19 pm Well the heroes depend on which side you are on ;) As for BN or elf, I mean if you have a good backstory for why they are there, then I dont see the harm. Timeline is just before the destruction of the ring if that helps. Most of the captives are from Rohan and most of the raiders are orcs/evil humans/uruks.
Ok boss gotcha!

Istari Sage
Sorry for spamming but I started flipping through all the Mordor threads (there are a lot of awesome ones) and I have some more questions.
  • In true necromantic fashion can I resurrect the The Towers of No Return: Knowledge @Moriel? I'm not sure if you're still planning on updating it.
  • If yes, if I play Daethir (my army character) does this gain renown or just The Towers of No Return: Might? I assume this is an @Winddancer question
  • @Sorceress are you cool with me jumping in at the The Necromancer's Guild? Since you had mentioned it above
  • @Winddancer Do you have plans to continue The Shadows if I were to join in? It seems right up Daethir's alley character-wise (as I'm playing him as a spy/assassin/diplomat like a slightly less sniveling Wormtongue)

Balrog
Go for it! If you want to do some fighting let's see if we can convince some hapless meat puppet a worthy opponent to take you on. I've tried to do it as competitor and MC and it's a little messy :lol:

Black Númenórean
@Romeran go for it! I will jump back in :grin: @Tuilindo, @Fuin Elda, are you interested in picking up where I left you dangling in the Tower of Knowledge? If so I'll provide a much belated update, it not that's fine too and my fault :googly:

Master Torturer
@Romeran Yes, and yes and renown can be gotten from theShadows too :) So have at it! So far your competition is Fuin (in the Shadows) she is the only one who has gotten to the first "promotion".

Balrog
only because you have me the flippin' hardest task ever! :lol:

Master Torturer
All have hard tasks! Being the best assassin ever is hard work young man! :P That being said, the tasks were a little bit geared towards a more active forum, so yes I do get you. Give me some time and I will come up with some new assignments, if you still want to do it.

Orc Chieftain
As soon as Naelia is finished with the Tower of Might, she might be joining you in the Shadows. She already got the summons, but decided to try to conquer the Tower of Might first because it might have been easier (she might be eating her words right about now, since it's a lot more challenging than she first thought) so she did that first. I only have one more level to go in the Tower of Might, so I'm not sure if i should wait until it's responded to or move on to the Shadows (I could mention that Naelia's already conquered the Tower of Might). :shrug:

Istari Sage
I didn't realize they were related (are they? ) was honestly just going to jump into all three (shadows, and both towers) and just work on them in parallel that way I'd likely have something to post about when things move slowly.

Master Torturer
No they are not connected, unless you choose to make it so :) Which LoS did for her character. You can totally choose to do them parallel as who is to say there arent YEARS inbetween ;) Or weeks, hours, days :P

High Lord of Imladris
@Moriel sure? I mean I'm starting at the beginning once more because I really suck at riddles lol unless we're changing that rule?
Sereg a Dîn

Black Númenórean
:lol: Yes you are getting bounced back to level one, but you'll be back to level two again immediately, I'm sure! I'll give you an update in my next post :grin:

Balrog
@Romeran this is one reason I have so many characters, fewer timelines to have to keep track of (because timelines are the worst)

Istari Sage
I’m just going to play it a little wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey and see where it takes me. I don’t expect to run into too many contradictions lol

Master Torturer
Why I never mention time, then each post can be whenever. Hardest part is using same character with others doing seperate rps lol