Build the Best Nest (a game)

And of old it was not darksome, but full of light and splendour, as is still remembered in our songs.
Post Reply
Loremaster of the Herd
Points: 1 967 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 pm
Holy holy ahh sweetly sweetly eeh, sing the thrushes in the trees beneath the Lonely Mountain and around Ravenhill. Their lovely song fades and is interrupted --

WHOOSH...
CRACK...
CLANK!

……
Silence.

A storm blows through, knocking down branches and destroying carefully built nests. The next day, the birdsong is quiet. They are too busy rebuilding to sing. One thrush has made it her mission to save the spring broods! With the help of a wise raven to translate, she has flown far and wide asking all folk and creatures for help rebuilding their nests.

This is where you come in, resident of, or visitor to, Erebor. You’ve heeded the thrush's call and are here to help the birds gather nesting material and build new nests. After all, who knows when they might help defeat a dragon!

How does the game work?
1. RP yourself searching for nesting material by picking a space from the grid below.
Spaces may or may not contain nesting material (grass, sticks, etc.), nothing, other items or situations to RP.
Nesting material is worth 1 point each. Other items may be worth extra points.

2. Once you have obtained 2 different types of nesting material (for example, grass and sticks, but not sticks and sticks), you may choose to have birds LAY EGGS in the nest you built.
If you choose to Lay Eggs, you may NOT also search the grid in the same round. Eggs are worth 2 points each, so get nesting! Dice will determine # of eggs laid.

The game ends when no squares remain. The winner is whoever has the most points (nest material + eggs + other item points). Nice and simple, I hope!

(photo & grid by me)

Squares available to search (as of 4/29 update):
A3, A8
B1, B6, B7, B8
C1, C5, C6, C7, C8
D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6, D7
E1, E2, E3, E4, E7, E8
F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F8
G1, G4, G5, G6, G7, G8

Rules
- I’ll encourage playing birds, animals, dwarves or humans of Erebor/Dale, but you may play whatever race or being you like, including canon characters.
- You may only search one grid space (or opt to lay eggs if able to) per round (which is each GM update). You can do RP in between if you want. RP does not need to be elaborate. Just have fun.
- Bold your grid space or decision to lay eggs.
- No bright or light colours.
- Label OOC, no need to white out.
- No godmoding except by me, the GM.

@ me in here with questions/comments/bird treats/whatever

(Game was very loosely inspired by the board game Wingspan and with some feedback from @Goosil )
Last edited by Lailyn on Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:16 am, edited 6 times in total.

Beorn
Beorn
Points: 3 523 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am
Image

Lusola was a long way from home. He’d gotten his bearing all turned out of whack in a freak storm as he was heading north for the summer, toward the great inland sea, but new he was not sure where he was. There was no sea, there was a lake though. It was not one he recognized, but all the same he needed water, and he needed to rest. The world was cold and grey here, wherever here was. There was a large mountain in the not so distant distance. Perhaps there were birds there that might tell him how to get back to his desert home far south? He assumed it was south, but really he had no way of knowing. Lusola was very lost and very nervous. He didn’t want to worry too much, it was nearly mating season and he was going to need all his fluffy black feathers if he was going to attach a mate this year. What kind of birds lived here? Would they be kind and friendly? He was rather small bird and knew that many of the larger birds of the world liked to pick on and eat the littler ones. He was very cautious in how he dipped his head in the water and let it run back and cool his back feathers. The world seemed quiet and peaceful. He tweeped and cheeped and chirped, trying to gauge the friendliness of his fellow avians. A thrush appeared. A thrush! The little desert cardinal realized he was very far away from his intended inland sea indeed! She needed help, this little (well bigger than Lusola) bird was in dire need of a nest. Would he help her? As unsure and nervous as he was, he knew he ought to help her. What are bird friends for anyway? Maybe after he was done helping her build a nest for her babies, she could tell him which direction the great inland sea was. A win-win! He’d better get to looking fast, he didn’t want to miss out on all the girl cardinals again!

Start me off with H1, por favor
My heart is pure but my church is black

Corsair
Points: 412 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:23 pm
Alternate Universe Michaela

Alternate Universe Michaela is a copy of the Michaela from this universe, a woman of Dale who got killed when an unstable mine collapsed on top of her. It was the mine where her husband and two sons (who were of dwarven descent, originally from the Blue Mountains) were employed. Luckily, her daughter Marida (who's of mixed heritage, but seems to take after her mother rather than her father, so she may be a bit on the small side, but looks more human than dwarven) wasn't with her (not that it would have mattered, since the only fatality was Michaela herself). In Alternate Universe Michaela's world, it was her husband and three children who got killed (since it was Marida, not Michaela, who was trying to surprise her father and siblings for a visit on her father's birthday; so this version of Marida never met Thorin, never had a falling out with him nearly three years later, and never found that time portal in an abandoned section of Erebor that led her to a new world... and a new love, whom she is still with to this day).

Alternate Universe Michaela's mission was to seek out this family (though she wouldn't come across Marida, who is no longer in Middle-earth) and somehow ease their suffering when she came across a bird of some sort that seemed to have lost it's home. Distracted from her mission (which was probably a good thing, since the family that Marida left behind would be pretty shocked to discover their mate and/or mother was still somehow alive and would want Alternate Universe Michaela to explain herself), Alternate Michaela decided that she would at least try to help her newly found avian friend (she hoped) by helping him (or her) build a new nest. But where to begin?

Let's begin with E5, please


OOC: Marida's a character I play on another Tolkien site, who started off as a dwarf when I was more into Thorin, but evolved into a woman of mixed heritage when she gained a new husband. Sort of like I did with Talina, minus the husbands. Michaela is her mother, a woman of Dale who may be a relative of the woman who called Alfrid a snake.
Image
Always Keep Fighting!

Loremaster of the Herd
Points: 1 967 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 pm
Interrupting to clarify how this works, sorry if anyone was confused (totally my fault) --

Nest-building:
If you RP a bird, you may build a nest for yourself/your mate OR for other birds
If you RP anything not-a-bird, you are obviously building nests for the birds


Nests can be for thrushes OR any other bird you choose (ducks, geese, go crazy). You don’t have to specify the type of bird you’re building for: you can build a generic nest and I’ll pick someone to populate it with as part of your RP prompt.
Egg-laying:
If RPing a bird who built your own nest, you can lay your own eggs, your mate’s eggs OR RP woo-ing a ladybird to do it.

If RPing anything else, birds will basically find your nest, maybe give you a chirp of thanks for it, be satisfied with it and decide to lay eggs.


If you want to RP multiple characters, go for it. But you can only choose one square or lay eggs in 1 nest at a time.
Frost and Lady Winchester, your posts are absolutely perfect! (I love lost little Lusola and the creativity of AU Michaela). But if you want to change your character or anything based on this extra info, please feel free to go ahead and do so.

If you have any questions, please go ahead and ask.

Loremaster of the Herd
Points: 1 967 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 pm
New players always welcome!

@Call of Bearthulhu - Perhaps it is your avian instincts or the speed at which you started searching, but you have already found some nice little sticks perfect for a nest! The thrush is so impressed with your skill she drops a snail your way for a snack seeing as you are a long way from home.

@Lady Winchester - It is a lucky thing that this Michaela is still alive to help out! However, you’re not so lucky in your search. All you find is a (sadly quite empty) wine bottle left over from some careless picnickers! The thrush sings you an encouraging little ditty nonetheless.


Nestwatch aka scoreboard
@Call of Bearthulhu - 1

@Lady Winchester - 0

Chieftain of Durins Folk
Points: 1 410 
Posts: 976
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:32 pm
Alf and Duf had discovered the Endless Stair (not many had but these two dwarves were always poking their noses into place that they should not have). They also discovered a tunnel about a quarter of the way up the stair that lead out onto the side of Zirakzigil . Down this tunnel they found a smooth stone shelf large enough to sit two young dwarves abreast. And off the shelf was a cliff with an overhanging. A perfect place to build a nest. A nest that may even lure some nobel ravens to it.
The dwarves had gotten the idea of nest building from watching the great birds soaring in the sky. Bird watching was one of their favorite pastimes. When the weather was fine and the long green slope that lead down to the Mirrormere was lush and scented, they would lie on the turf and watch the birds flying in the vast blue sky below the sailing white clouds. They would chat about how they would take such pleasure in learning how to fly like a bird. Then Duf came up with the idea of building a nest for them and maybe in return, they would teach them how to fly. And so, the planning began.
The first part of the task was gathering the supplies for the nest. They made many trips (a week's worth) up the stair carrying what they deemed was the right material; large sticks and twigs, hay, grass, bark, moss, mud, and even fish bones. It then took them a few more days to construct the nest. They weaved the large sticks and twigs into a bulky basket with a deep depression in the center. Then with the help of water from their water skins, they lined the basket with the hay, grass, bark strips, moss, mud and bones. When it dried, it held its shape wonderfully.
The last part of the task was the trickiest - building a bridge using two long poles. They had quite the challenge carrying the long poles up the narrow stair, with many a halt to rest their arms, sip some water, and chuckle over the awkward positions they had to make in order to move forward. They made the bridge from the shelf to the cliff. They placed the large nest atop the poles, then slowly lifting the poles in unison, they shimmied the nest over to the cliff ledge. There was only one scary instance when the nest rocked dangerously and the dwarves were positive it was going to crash down the side of the mountain, but it stopped teetering and plopped down snuggle into the corner of the cliff.
Wiping sweat from their brows, they sat themselves down on the shelf, and waited patiently for the birds to arrive.

E6 please!

Arien
Arien
Points: 1 569 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 pm
Geese like to nest by lakes. Goose’s first memories: cracking the egg, pecking his siblings, pecking his mother; and clear blue skies and a passably clear lake. Silty, to be honest. A little weedy and overgrown and populated by insolent fish. But a place Goose once called home.

In the shadow of the mountain, the lakes are cold. Goose doesn’t mind: that’s what goosedown is for. But spring is coming, and nests must be made. He cocks his neck. He has a very long neck. This takes some time. He’s thinking.

A shape cuts across the sky above him. Another goose? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Still, it never hurts to be prepared.

G2
she/her/probably a shapeshifter

Tilion
Tilion
Points: 2 012 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 3:21 am
Image

Bombycilla was appallingly drunk. He had gorged himself on early-spring berries, those that had frozen and fermented and begun to emit their glorious odors of sugar and booze, drawing every waxwing from miles around to the feast. After stuffing himself fuller than any reasonable bird would have thought possible, he had rolled about languorously on the ground on his back, absently chewing on yet another berry as drunken visions of beautiful lady birds danced before his hazy eyes- perhaps this season was the one he would finally win over that stunning falcon he'd had his eye on for years. So what if he got eaten in the end? Worth it. But then the thrush had come by, calling for help to rebuild a slew of destroyed nests! Bombycilla, obviously a hero, had somehow hauled his drunken carcass to its feet and careened into the air by the simple expedient of staggering off the edge of a cliff. His intoxicated wings gained some semblance of control before he hit the ground, and he swooped off in the direction the thrush had indicated with a triumphant trill. Nailed it!

H2!
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Chef
Points: 768 
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 5:03 am
Image

Zinnia buzzed through the forest at top speed, which was, to be fair, her only speed. The flowers of spring were few and far between, and she was thirsty for the sweet nectar they provided. But today, the forest was all askew, branches leaning this way and that, needles and leaves and pine duff blown every which way. She flew low and hovered over a hill that usually caught the weak winter sun, a favorite place to sip from those little red flowers that hung in rows like tiny trumpets. But today an enormous branch had fallen, destroying the young plants.

With a volley of angry high pitched chirps, Zinnia dove at the branch, tugging pine needles and bits of bark loose in an effort to find just one or two flowers that might still be left. Although...these needles might make the beginnings of a fine nest. And the bark would do to form the perfect little cup she needed to hold her tiny eggs. Hmm...

A7 please!

Counsellor of Gondor
Points: 1 197 
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 2:58 pm
Feathers, the Pigeon

Feathers had comfortably weathered the storm tucked away in a crevice in a mountainside - it had protected her both from the wind and the rain. Once everything had calmed down she flew out to seek for a meal, and that is when she heard the call for aid from the thrushes.

Technically, she could assist, and perhaps pick up some building material while she looked for food, but then again, perhaps she should build her own nest? While the crevice had been good and she might choose it as her home it was not very cozy and needed improvements.

At any rate, she landed on the ground near a large fallen branch to see what she could find.

B3, please!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Beorn
Beorn
Points: 3 523 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am
Image

“For me?” Lusola chirped. He’d never really interacted with thrushes before but when this one dropped a snail beside him he was positively ecstatic. How did she know that snails were his absolute favorite? Was she a mind reader? Thankyouthankyouthankyou he thought, and thought as hard as he could. When she didn’t react (he probably looked like he was having stomach issues) he realized that maybe she was not in fact a mind reader. He chirped a ‘thank you’ instead, avoiding eye contact with the lady thrush. He scarfed down the snail, despite trying to savor it. This always happened when he was eating snails! No matter how hard he tried to slow down and enjoy them, he always ended up gorging himself on them. It was an embarrassing trait of his. At least there was only one here this time. Oh, but what he wouldn’t give to find a rout of snails! With that mental imagine in the little lost desert cardinal’s mind, he got to work finding more sticks.

H3, please
My heart is pure but my church is black

Loremaster of the Herd
Points: 1 967 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 pm
New players always welcome!!

@Afird Splitax - A gust of wind makes the platform shake, but it holds (for now)! Your nest is impressive but the ravens have not appeared. Since it seems to be missing something, Alf and/or Duf search for more material...They find a pile of old bones.

@Goosil - Quack quack quack! A duck flies overhead. Was the drake eyeing up your spot? They like silty, weedy ponds, too. Your Goose Instincts lead you to a nice puddle of mud to start your nest off with!

@Moriel - You are so addled, in fact, you flew in the exact opposite direction the Thrush told you to go! She really was trying to help--instead of finding something nice, you find yourself staring into a mouth full of big, pointy teeth. How does a drunk waxwing escape a hungry fox?

@Menolly - There are no delectable flowers for you here, just worms and grubs slithering in the bark. They might give you an extra buzz of energy if you can manage to slurp them up with your needle-nose beak. The Thrush flutters over, hoping you might share... (+1 bonus point, but sadly no nesting material)

@Pele Alarion - What a sensible pigeon you are taking cover during the storm! You are a very warm and dry and ready to face the world! Your senses (or luck) lead you in the right direction again--beside the fallen branch, you find a pile of soft, furry leaves perfect for insulating your nest!

@Call of Bearthulhu - The Thrush cocks her head at your attempt to send her a super-secret psychic message. What a strange bird, but a nice one, she thinks. She flies away after you finish scarping your snail. Too bad she didn’t stick around to warn you not to accidentally wake a cranky owl from slumber.


Nestwatch aka scoreboard:
@Call of Bearthulhu - 1
@Lady Winchester - 0
@Afird Splitax- 0
@Goosil- 1
@Moriel - 0
@Menolly - 1 (but no nesting material)
@Pele Alarion- 1

Squares searched: A7, B3, E5, E6, G2, H1, H2, H3

Chef
Points: 768 
Posts: 439
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 5:03 am
Image

Poking disconsolately at the fallen branch, Zinnia hovered back, doing an anxious tight loop in flight as she saw a feast of grubs squirming in the loose bits of fallen bark. They were far too large for her to choke down, unfortunately. Zinnia came to rest on a tiny branch, looking down at the unappealing worms, then took flight again as an enormous shadow passed overhead, her heart thrumming in a panic.

A thrush landed nearby. "Oh!" Zinnia exclaimed in the high quick voice of all hummingbirds. "Hello there. I was afraid you were a hawk, or perhaps even a crow, or, well, I don't know what, but almost anything else is large enough to eat me. That is, if they can catch me. But thrushes don't eat hummingbirds, do they, please say they don't, please?" Zinnia landed again, flipping her wings back neatly, her dark magenta throat flashing in the pale light as she rattled on. Most hummingbirds talked as fast as they flew, and Zinnia was no exception. "You eat worms, I believe, worms like these, tasty little worms and big worms too, and grubs, I suppose. I eat little worms, that is if they're very very little, and little flying things and sometimes even ants, but these worms are far too large." She looked at the thrush, then down at the crawling creatures before her. Perhaps there were little insects somewhere she could eat. Not as good as nectar, no, not as good at all, but it would keep her going and provide nutrition for her eggs and her chicks, when she had them and a nest in which to raise them.

"If you'd like some worms, you have some worms," Zinnia chirped at the thrush. "I'm off to seek the sun, and the little red trumpet flowers, and maybe some little tiny bugs I can fit in my beak. Farewell for now!"

C4 please!

Beorn
Beorn
Points: 3 523 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am
Image

“Ay, mierda!” the little desert cardinal tweeped as he realized who (hoo, hoo) he’d stumbled on in his overeager search for nesting construction materials. La Lachuza! His little bird heart nearly stopped. He didn’t know they lived this far north! An innocent bystander might not understand his terrified reaction to seeing an owl. Owls, after all, were not symbols of evil everywhere, and indeed they were often symbols of wisdom and learning. But little Lusola came from a place where they were known as la lachuza, a kind of shape shifting witch. One could never really tell if an owl was an owl, or if an owl was a person pretending to be an owl to put a curse on them. Sadly, this sort of thing led to lots of misunderstandings, both in the human world (where owls could be shot at or killed because of the fear) and in the bird world (where owls could be shunned). Lusola himself was a very progressive bird, but he had been so startled by the sudden appearance of the owl that he forgot all his manners, tweeped as loudly as he could, then zoomed off in a wild, zig-zag pattern. He was quite far away by the time his better angels got a hold of him. There was nothing scary about this owl! Probably… most likely… maybe…? He looked back at the old tree where he’d seen the great creature. There was no sign of the owl. Could that mean he hadn’t accidently awoken them? Or that they were out there in the sky somewhere, waiting to swoop in and devour little Lusola? He fluffed his feathers, suddenly very, very anxious. Oh this was bad. This was bad. Did the thrush know about the owl? What did they do when it was about? Were they friends? Enemies? There was only one thing the desert cardinal could do right now, he had to keep looking for sticks and straw and leaves, the more he found, the better and more protected the nest would be. Yes! He would find so many sticks it would be a fortress nest, even stronger than that mountain nearby.

H4, please
My heart is pure but my church is black

Arien
Arien
Points: 1 569 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 pm
The goose cranes his long neck upward as he sees a shape cutting overhead. A DUCK. Goose honks contemptuously at its graceless, dumpy form as he waddles onward. Everyone knows that in the Pond Hierarchy, Ducks are essentially the lowest of the low, barely independent, prone to following bigger birds around and shamelessly displaying themselves for the attention of Humans With Bread. Not that Goose minds a bit of bread himself, but he certainly doesn’t goostitute himself to get it.

He flaps his feet on the ground, which is becoming more yielding as he draws nearer to the water. There are some nice sturdy rushes and water weeds around. Perhaps some of them would be good nesting material?

G3
she/her/probably a shapeshifter

Corsair
Points: 412 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:23 pm
AU Michaela

"Wine bottles? Seriously?" AU Michaela was flabbergasted. "Didn't picnickers ever pick up after themselves?" the alternate version of Marida Grady's mother wondered as she noticed that a thrush decided to sing to her, regardless of her inability to find something that would make a worthy nest. It seemed the thrush wasn't only singing to her, it was revealing to her where she could find her alternate family... mostly by flying to a branch of a tree and then when AU Michaela noticed him or her, it would fly off to another one. Or was it simply guiding her to an area she could search for some more worthy items that would be appropriate to build a new bird's nest with? Either way, she decided to follow the thrush and now began looking in areas pointed out by the thrush to see if she could find something other than discarded wine bottles left over by some careless picnickers. It seemed that people in this universe weren't that much different from the ones in her own (though if she ever met up with her daughter, she would be quite surprised that she was able to survive both an escaped hybrid dinosaur and a volcanic eruption).

Let's try searching in square A6 this time
Image
Always Keep Fighting!

Loremaster of the Herd
Points: 1 967 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 pm
New dwarves, humans, birds, elves, furry/scaly/other animals (and all others) always welcome to join in!

@Menolly - The Thrush darts her head up, down, all around trying to keep up with your velocious pace. She slurps up worms after you leave, never having the chance to affirm her non-hummingbird-eating ways. You don’t find any nesting materials, only a baby bunny who hops out from the bushes and flicks his ears toward your buzzing self.

@Call of Bearthulhu - Phew! This owl does not shapeshift into a witch or chase after you! He is too tired for all that and instead snuggles deeper into his cavity for more rest. Perhaps the owl was a token of luck because you have found a mud puddle perfect for gluing together your sticks and finishing your first nest! If your luck holds out, a nice bird may like it enough to come lay some eggs…In your next post, you may choose to attempt to lay eggs or search for more nesting material to build more nests. Bold your choice at the bottom of your post.

@Goosil - The reeds and weeds look great, but are not so easy to gather! While you needle around with your beak to try, you come across something easier to grab - a grungy old sock! The duck splashes down upon the water nearby and erupts into quacking laughter at your find. Sorry, no self-respecting waterfowl I know would use an old sock in a nest.

@Lady Winchester - You follow the Thrush as she flits among the trees. A buzzing sound begins, faint at first, then growing louder as you continue along. The Thrush zips off into the clouds with a loud “EE-EE-EE!” (Thrush speech for “Lookout!”). You find yourself faced with a big wasp nest hanging precariously from the nearest tree branch. Do you run away, try to destroy it or do something else?


Nestwatch aka scoreboard:
@Call of Bearthulhu - 2 - may now begin laying eggs!
@Lady Winchester - 0
@Afird Splitax - 0
@Goosil - 1
@Moriel - 0
@Menolly - 1 (but no nesting material)
@Pele Alarion- 1

Squares searched: A6, A7, B3, C4, E5, E6, G2, G3, H1, H2, H3, H4

Chieftain of Durins Folk
Points: 1 410 
Posts: 976
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:32 pm
Having grown bored with sitting and waiting for ravens to arrive, Alf decided to go investigate a little further up the Endless Stair with a promise to Duf to keep within earshot and to use the special call-out signal that they had come up with; that call being a raven-like, prruk-prruk-prruk. They figured that if there were any birds about, the call might draw the birds to the mountain-side. Also, it was a more natural sound that one might hear on a mountain rather than what Alf had first suggested; that call being a pub-like more ale-more ale-more ale. Both dwarves had practiced the raven call and were quite skillful at it, although, Duf did say that Alf's imitation reminded him more of a bullfrog than a raven.

Alf (with a small torch in his hand) climbed what he calculated to be, seventy-five steps up the stair. He was still within earshot of Duf's prruk-prruk-prruk call when he saw an opening on the right hand side of the stair. Moving cautiously towards it, he held his torch high and saw that it was an entrance to a cave. Listening carefully for a moment, with only his breathing and the mountain's creaks and groans in his ears, he stepped forward into the cave.

Holding his torch high, he could see that it was not a large cave. The floor was uneven. Advancing further in, he felt a soft thread touch his face. Rubbing it away unconcerned, he peered into a corner of the cave. The floor was littered with tiny bones. He knew they were bones because he and Duf were amateur bone collectors. Bone collecting, like bird watching, was one of their many hobbies. They had many different bones and skulls in their collection, all shined and buffed and looking quite amazing. As he bent down to examine the bones, another wisp of thread touched his torch hand. He brushed it away again without a care whilst hearing faintly in the distance Duf's call, " prruk-prruk-prruk". Absorbed with his discovery, he did not return the call, but bent further down to look closely at the bones.

He could see that they were small but quite distinguishable. The small skeleton bones that littered the floor were, bat bones. Excited by his find, and the amount of bones that lay piled on the floor, he leaned his torch on the cave wall and began to carefully pick up bones and put them into his pockets and the pack he took from his back. Some were still intact and would be a great addition to the collection, and others would be good for stuffing and weaving into the holes of the raven nest that the wind on the side of the mountain had created. As he worked, another strand of thread touched his cheek and his hand. Then he heard a low rattling sound.

Startled, he reached for his torch and looking up from his knelling position. He saw what had caused the sound, and gasped. Above his head was a giant orb-shaped web cluttered with half-eaten bats and bones. And in the center of it, was the biggest spider the dwarf had ever seen. It was a shiny reddish brown in colour, with its rear body a sickly olive green. It's eight legs were long and spiked with stiff hairs. But the most terrifying sight was its eight identical eyes all seeming to stare straight down at Alf.

Clutching his torch in one hand and his pack in the other, he carefully rose and began to back up towards the cave entrance. The spider moved, causing the web to vibrate and the web's clutter to rattle. Eyes wide, the dwarf continued to move backwards when suddenly, his heel hit a piece of rock that protruded from the uneven floor. He lost his balance. His torch fell from his hand, gutting out on the floor, and he was left in total darkness. Panic is a strange sensation. It can be so strong, prevent reason and logical thinking, and replacing it with overwhelming feelings of anxiety and frantic agitation consistent with an animalistic fight-or-flight reaction. Alf chose flight.

Crawling backwards on hands and feet as fast as he could, he moved in what he believed was the right direction towards the exit. He heard the rattling noise again, though much louder now. He moved faster. He felt a change in the air and knew he was near the exit. The rattling noise grew louder. He began to sweat. He felt something touch his leg. Then he heard it, like a trumpet-call from the Maker Mahal, " prruk-prruk-prruk". Then he saw a light.

Later as the two dwarves sat examining the remaining bones, most having been weaved into the nest - a precarious feat to say the least with the dwarves having to use the two poles again and shimming the nest from the ledge and back -Alf described the giant bat-eating spider to his friend who, after the rescue of Alf, had no desire to look or investigate the spider's cave.
" It was giant-size, I tell you. And it had twelve legs with spiked hairs like sharp needles cover them. And its fangs dripped venom that smoked when it hit the bones, and it's dozen eyes looked straight at me and.....

B4 please....

Arien
Arien
Points: 1 569 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 pm
The water weeds are tough. Goose has been diligently gnawing away for a while - at least four seconds - when he loses patience, and his grasp on the stalks. Instead, he seizes on something softer, fibrous, and triumphantly snatches it out of the ...

...

It’s a sock.

Normally goose loves stealing socks but this is hardly a victorious theft. It’s been lost already and it’s in poor shape, sodden, stinking, holed. He opens his beak to squawk in dismay and the opening of the sock slides over his beak. “HONK”, he honks, angrily, muffled. Several ducks are quacking with laughter. Goose swears a couple of ~fowl~ epithets that would make any canard blush, but he’s still gurgling with pond water and sock water. Furiously, he shakes the footwear off and begins his search anew.

H5 please!
she/her/probably a shapeshifter

Tilion
Tilion
Points: 2 012 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 3:21 am
Image

Well, this was embarrassing. Not only did it turn out that Bombycilla had flown off in the completely wrong direction, he had taken a nap on the wing and was now falling rapidly towards the gaping maw of a fox. His eyes snapping open wide as they beheld the three foxes (or one? or maybe four?) Bombycilla screamed the drunkest, most high-pitched scream he had ever screamed in his tiny life and flared his wings. The fox, seemingly taken aback by the shriek that came from the waxwing, did not seize its opportunity to leap up and devour him in one chomp. Bombycilla's extended talons raked the fox's head as he pulled dramatically out of his freefall, leaving the beast with a triple Mohawk for his troubles. Tumbling off through the air, Bombycilla made a laborious about face and set off in what was hopefully the right direction this time.

B2!
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Beorn
Beorn
Points: 3 523 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am
Image

Mud! Lusola preened and dipped his head in the cool semiliquid. There was nothing better after a hard day’s work than mud. Except some water. And a berry or two. And seeds. Okay mud wasn’t high on the list but it was still wonderful to find! He hopped around for a good minute, making all sorts of tracks. He was also making a mess, but there were no elder desert cardinals here to scold him for being wasteful. He tweeped, joyous in his discovery. He knew exactly what this discovery meant: he could now build a nest for the Thrush, a fortress of impenetrability for her little eggs (he’d seen what sort of disaster could take place when an eagle didn’t build her nest properly and promptly lost track of her eggs). On the other wing, he thought, he could try and find more material to help make room for more eggs. What to do, what to do. He sat down in the mud, wiggled, and tried to have a think. There were advantages both options, it all boiled down to what he thought he might find next. Could he find more mud and sticks quickly? If he didn’t he would be wasting time for the Thrush to be able to lay her eggs, valuable time she would need! Think, think, think. Normally, Lusola did not like making decisions quickly, he didn’t like making them at all if he were being honest with himself, but something in his little bird brain told him he didn’t have a lot of time before he needed to decide. He squished around in the mud for a bit longer before finally jumping out and fluttering about to get rid of all the heavy clumps. He knew what he’d do.

Build a nest and lay some eggs! (The Thrush, not Lusola)
My heart is pure but my church is black

Loremaster of the Herd
Points: 1 967 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 pm
New players feel free to fly on over and join us-- there is still a lot of nesting to be done! No one is having much luck with nest-building, I am not sure how you all keep managing to pick the un-helpful squares… :googly:

@Afird Splitax - In his haste and panic to escape the terrifying spider, Alf forgot he also found something else in the cave--a troll’s purse! No help for your nest, but your bat bone collection will fit nicely inside. Does the purse talk like the one Bilbo found in William’s pocket?

@Goosil - The sock flings from beak and lands around the neck of the laughing drake. Miffed, he starts a fight with the first duck he sees and on it goes until all the ducks are bickering. Further in the weeds, you find a giant egg. It is too big for a duck. Too big for a goose, even. Too big for any bird except a giant Eagle. Or a dragon? Either way, you’re no closer to a nest, or eggs, of your own.

@Moriel - That was some impressive aerobatics! And who is that beautiful waxwing you see before you? Did they see you escape the fox? My, my, they do grab the eye with their colorful plumage and exquisite mohawk! You don’t seem to realize you are actually staring at yourself in a mirror.

@Ambivalent Octopus - Well, here we are at last! The Thrush has seen some strange things so far (have you ever seen a goose with a sock for a beak?) and she is delighted with your nest! “Sweet-sweet-a-lee!” she thanks you with a happy song, then circles around in the nest quite a few times as if setting herself. Then a few more for good measure. After all her fussing about, she lays a single egg. (1 egg x 2 points = +2)
Egg update: Since I just realized you could theoretically build one nest and continuously lay eggs in it, let’s say you may opt to lay eggs only once per nest. Sorry, yes, I am sort of making this all up as I go. Thanks for putting up with me!

Aside from Lusola, no one is having much luck nest-building. The Thrush is not very impressed with her helpers and urges you to work a bit harder--

TWEET TWEET Important Announcement: You may search TWO SQUARES this round only!


Nestwatch aka scoreboard:
@Ambivalent Octopus - 4
@Lady Winchester - 0
@Afird Splitax - 0
@Goosil - 1
@Moriel - 0
@Menolly - 1 (but no nesting material)
@Pele Alarion - 1

Squares searched: A6, A7, B2, B3, B4, C4, E5, E6, G2, G3, H1, H2, H3, H4, H5

Counsellor of Gondor
Points: 1 197 
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 2:58 pm
Feathers, the Pigeon

Ah, her search had not been in vain, and gathering as many leaves as she could the pigeon flew off to make the nest. Now, if only she could continue to be successful in gathering materials, the home would soon be ready for habitation.
This time Feathers flew off in a different direction hoping to find something useful.

D8 and F7, please!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Chieftain of Durins Folk
Points: 1 410 
Posts: 976
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:32 pm
Image

'Oi! He believed ever word you said! But I know the truth! Should I tell him?'
Alf looked around nervously wondering if Duf had returned already from his trip down the Stair to replenish their food supply, and overheard the voice. There was no sign of him, and the dwarf felt relief, although it was a guilty feeling. He had forgotten all about finding the purse (or the purse tricked him into thinking so) until it spoke to him. And now it was speaking to him again. He rarely kept secrets from his friend but, for some reason, he felt that he could not tell him about the discovery of the purse. Yes he had embellished his story regarding the giant Orb Spider, somewhat, but he had done that before telling a few white lies and had been called out with no more than a teasing from Duf. Something about the purse, and the bat bones that he had concealed in it, was tricking him into thinking that he had done something really wrong this time and could not tell his friend. It had him chewing on the tip of his beard hairs and sweating more than usual.
As he sat fretting awaiting the return of Duf, he gazed at the raven's nest. They had used some of the bones to patch the holes. Now, though, the nest was beginning to look like it was sprouting, legs. Eight legs to be exact...

A5 and A4, please

Arien
Arien
Points: 1 569 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 pm
The Goose muttered to itself crossly, a sound that resembled a crushed vuvuzela being tried out by a chimpanzee. He trod some stalks into the mud and ate some soggy vegetation.

But what was this? An egg?? It was almost as big as the goose himself. Cautiously, he knocked on the shell.

Something knocked back.

Goose took a step back, craning his neck at the sky to look for whatever huge beast had laid this monstrosity. Nobody was there but he thought he’d best slip off anyway.

search C2 and C3 please
she/her/probably a shapeshifter

Beorn
Beorn
Points: 3 523 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am
Image

Lusola was on a rolla! He looked back and admired the nest he’d so painstakingly created. It was a bit lumpy in places and the sticks were uneven, but it was his first attempt. The Thrush liked it too! Lusola was so proud of himself! He tweeped and chirped, did a little dance on his tiny feet then zoomed off in search of more nest building material. Who knew this could be so much fun!

The next nest he was going to build was going to be even bigger, a proper fortress (in which the Thrush could have a little Solitude)! He could see it now, it would a massive structure and not subject to copyright in the slightest, not that Lusola understood what that meant, mind you. He was far too eager. Hopefully soon he could find some mud again, playing mud is the absolute greatest thing. He planned on showing all his friends down south once he found his way back!

H7 and H8, please
My heart is pure but my church is black

Loremaster of the Herd
Points: 1 967 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 pm
As always, you are welcome to join late!

@Pele Alarion - Feathers finds a mud puddle! It will complete your leafy-muddy nest. Sounds...maybe not cozy, but good enough. The Thrush is pleased with your progress and is about to tell you so when-- “EE-EE-EEEEE!” She calls a panicked warning to you. A cat is hiding in the bushes nearby, licking her lips!
In your next post, you may choose to attempt to lay eggs or search for more nesting material to build more nests. Bold your choice at the bottom of your post.

@Afird Splitax - Duf finds a pool of bubbling water. Hmm. It could be harmless or it could be deadly. Only one way to find out. Perhaps if he had a troll purse like Alf, it could advise.
If Alf thought the spider was crazy, how’s this? There’s grass growing at the peak of Zirakzigil! You can add it to your nest if you dare climb up those spidey-looking legs...

@Goosil - CRACK! A hole forms in the egg. A reptilian golden eye gazes out and does not see a goose. Whew. That was a close call, you almost became a dragon’s first meal. Your luck holds and you find some spongy moss to add to your mud for a nest. You also find sprightly flowers...maybe they will attract a mate.
In your next post, you may choose to attempt to lay eggs or search for more nesting material to build more nests. Bold your choice at the bottom of your post.

@Ambivalent Octopus - No more mud for Lusola, but you find something even better for your fortress of a nest--wads of soft bear fur stuck in a tree trunk! A bear must have stopped here to scratch their back. Meanwhile, a pair of amorous birds make their affections known in the branches overhead.

Nestwatch aka scoreboard:
@Ambivalent Octopus - 5
@Lady Winchester - 0
@Afird Splitax - 1
@Goosil - 2 - may now begin laying eggs
@Moriel - 0
@Menolly - 1 (but no nesting material)
@Pele Alarion - 2 - may now begin laying eggs

Squares searched: A4, A5, A6, A7, B2, B3, B4, C2, C3, C4, D8, E5, E6, F7, G2, G3, H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6, H7

Corsair
Points: 412 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:23 pm
AU Michaela

As AU Michaela continued to follow the thrush in an attempt to find some useful items for a bird's nest, she heard the familiar sound that a bee would make, which probably explained the thrush's louder sounds as if it was trying to warn her of the danger.

"A bee's nest? This is not what I was expecting the fowl to lead me into!" AU Michaela thought to herself, but since the thrush's call was only louder when it was trying to warn this version of Marida Grady's mother of the danger, she didn't really blame the bird, only her own stupidity due to the fact that she wasn't quite as familiar with the area than she thought she was (even if it was identical to the kingdom in her own universe). Now, she had to figure out what she would do next. Was she to run away, destroy it (though that would be a pretty foolish move, since it would only anger the bees and make them come after her, and since AU Michaela wasn't certain if she would have any kind of reaction to their stings, she wasn't a fan of this particular option) or something else entirely?

Since running away would probably result in a similar result, AU Michaela decided to slowly sneak around the branch that contained the bee's nest and see where the thrush that warned her of the danger flew off to, as well as continuing her search for supplies that would be appropriate to build a new bird's nest as well as tracking down the whereabouts of her double's family in this universe (if Marida learned there was an alternate version of her mother that was still alive, she would probably want to try to convince Owen if they could somehow track her down, even if the alternate version thought that she saw a ghost, since in her universe, none of her children are still alive).

Let's try searching in square B5 this time
Image
Always Keep Fighting!

Arien
Arien
Points: 1 569 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 pm
Goose’s long neck whips round as he hears an ominous CRACK in the distance, eggxactly like the sound of some eggstraordinarily large creature eggscaping from its birth shell. Just as well he’s nowhere near, he decides, happily tromping over a patch of moss which he tears up with his beak and tramples into what passes for his nest.

Perfect! Now to summon a female of some sort to lay eggs in it.

Lay an egg please
she/her/probably a shapeshifter

Chieftain of Durins Folk
Points: 1 410 
Posts: 976
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:32 pm
Image

Duf gazed at the bubbling water. He could smell no foulness coming from it and the pool that is was bubbling in was a good size. If one looked very carefully into the pool, one could see where the water was gushing out through a crack in the rock. Putting his food bag aside, he took off his boots, rolled up his pant legs and stepped into the pool. He sighed contently as the warm water washed over his feet. It felt so good that, a short time later, his clothing lay in a pile and his whole body was immersed. Alf hadn't been starving when Duf had left to replenish their supplies and an hour or so more, would not kill him. These were the dwarf's thoughts as he sunk deeper into the hot pool....

Meanwhile, Alf and his talking purse were climbing the mountainside like a dwarf possessed. The purse whispered that there was grass to be had at the top of the mountain. This would make good nest building material. Also, he would have found more material than Duf, and would be able to boast about it.
And so, hanging on precariously to the side of the mountain, he climbed. Green grass was the only thing on his mind....

A1 please

Beorn
Beorn
Points: 3 523 
Posts: 2318
Joined: Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 am
Image

Bear fur! Lusola had only ever heard of bears before! Living in the desert, one did not see the giant danger fluffs wandering about. They tended to live in the higher, more temperate places. Lusola could not blame them either, after having accidently ended up here. It was so nice here he was not sure he’d ever go back to the desert! Sure he would face some hardships, his favorite scorpions might be harder to find and there might be bigger, meaner eagles about this place but he was quite certain he’d adapt. Plus, what if he actually got to see a bear! There were so many stories about bears in the desert, how ancient avian warriors used to ride the ursine creatures into battle against their foes, the deer. What if he saw a bear fighting a deer! Oh that would be a story to tell the birds back home (not that he’d go back to tell them, or that they’d believe him).

Lusola was beside himself with pride. He was doing so well on this mission. The Thrust was going to be very, very impressed with his skills. Had any other birds helping her out found bear fur? I think not! Only someone as resourceful, brave, and smart as Lusola could have pulled off such a feat. He puffed his little birdy chest out and strutted about the ground. He even did a little dance he had been working on back in the desert. It had been nominally to attract a mate, but none of the girl birds there thought he was very impressive, being a very small bird. He wondered if he’d see any birds here that might like his dance enough. He tweeped and cheeped and gathered up the bear fur. If nothing else, he was going to prove to himself that he was a good bird, a very smart bird who talked to bears and thrushes and eagles without trying to burrow into the ground and hide.

But bear fur alone would not build him a nest, he needed to find some more material. Surely there was some close by, bears usually fought with giant sticks with spikes on the end (or was the gorillas, Lusola might be getting his mythical creatures mixed up), and those sticks usually shed pine needles. He liked pine needles, they smelled nice and he could wiggle into them and be very comfortable.

A2, please
My heart is pure but my church is black

Counsellor of Gondor
Points: 1 197 
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 2:58 pm
Feathers, the Pigeon

Well, the mud was a bit yucky to collect; however, it would do to hold the nest together. Maybe if she managed to find more soft moss, leaves, or such and put inside the nest it would be even more comfortable, but then again Feathers was not really known as the maker of comfortable nests. Mostly ones that simply did not let the eggs fall through.

She was about to bow to the Thrush, but the warning made her take to flight immediately. At least she had wits enough about her to keep a hold of mud without letting it go or swallowing it. Feathers circled around to see what had upset the Thrush so and found the cat was out for a meal. Well... better get out of here real fast. The pigeon flew off hastily to her crevice to deposit the mud collected from the puddle.

Attempt laying an egg, bitte!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Loremaster of the Herd
Points: 1 967 
Posts: 1341
Joined: Sat May 23, 2020 11:34 pm
As always, new players welcome!

AU Michaela - You make your way to a bubbling creek with lots of little pebbles and find the Thrush having a bath. Ahh, how peaceful after finding that bee-hive! Maybe in another universe the pebble you hold in your hand is a bird’s egg? Sadly, that won’t help you in the here and now though you can try to wish it so...keep searching!

Goose- Your zealous honking display attracts none other than one of those cackling ducks from the pond. You just can’t seem to get rid of them! She flies over and nearly collides with you as she lands. Not very graceful is she? She squats on your nest and out pop two eggs! Well, two duck eggs are better than no goose eggs...right? (2 eggs x 2 points = +4)

Alf & Duf - “Nice lining, eh,” the talking purse says as Alf adds the grass to the nest. “Needs more if you ask me, ehhh.” It says. Hm, who knew talking purses knew anything about bird’s nests? The wind blows nice soft leaves toward Duf soaking in the pool. They tickle his nose and will be the perfect finishing touch on the nest!
In your next post, you may choose to attempt to lay eggs or search for more nesting material to build more nests. Bold your choice at the bottom of your post.

Lusola - Oh yes, the northern mountains are quite nice, aren’t they? There are bears and pine needles and lovely lakes. Do not be lulled into feeling too safe...Sssssss! What’s that? A snake slithers over a tree branch and bares their fangs at you. The bite may not be venomous, but it will still hurt...

Feathers - Your nest is nothing to write home about, but you’re right-- it won’t let the eggs fall through! You finish stitching the leaves together with mud just in time to lay not one, but two eggs! “Oh well done!” The Thrush chirps. She lands nearby and offers you a snail. You’re going to need more fuel to keep on nesting! (2 eggs x 2 points = +4)

Nestwatch aka scoreboard (ooo it’s getting close!!):
@Prometherion - 5
@Lady Winchester - 0
@Afird Splitax - 2 - may now begin laying eggs!
@Goosil - 6
@Moriel - 0
@Menolly - 1 (but no nesting material)
@Pele Alarion - 6

Squares available to search (thought this might be easier for you all this way):
A3, A8
B1, B6, B7, B8
C1, C5, C6, C7, C8
D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6, D7
E1, E2, E3, E4, E7, E8
F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F8
G1, G4, G5, G6, G7, G8

Arien
Arien
Points: 1 569 
Posts: 1328
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 8:56 pm
The Goose’s cackle of triumph is cut short as, with a whoomph of feathers, a Fat Duck lands next to him. She preens slightly. He turns away. Her neck is so short and inelegant compared to his. But wait. She’s inspecting his work! Apparently it’s found favour, as without so much as a by-your-leave she squats in and deposits two eggs. Then she looks at the goose expectantly.

Well, he isn’t going to sit on them for her.

She gets on and nestles in, but shuffles around. Something about her expression suggests her seat could be roomier and comfier.

Goose throws up his wings in exasperation and goes off to look for more nest.

E8 please?
she/her/probably a shapeshifter

Chieftain of Durins Folk
Points: 1 410 
Posts: 976
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:32 pm
Image

Alf an Duf peered out of the opening that lead to the shelf where they had built the Eagle nest. A pair of majestic birds had located the nest and were busy getting ready to have babies. The two dwarves had witnessed the eagle's breathtaking courtship display in flight, high above the shelf. And then , they held their breaths as the two birds kissed, and paired (hopefully) for life . It was all very magical.

And now, the dwarves made themselves comfortable whilst they waited for the young to arrive.

Eagle is laying eggs, please

Counsellor of Gondor
Points: 1 197 
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 2:58 pm
Feathers the Pigeon

Splashing the mud everywhere, not only to stick the other nest material together, Feathers thought the job was finished. Time for eggs, then. Well, who knew! Two eggs, no less. Satisfied, Feathers inspected the two rounded things and tried to make herself comfortable, though it rather felt like she was sitting in a puddle of mud.

"Oh, thank you, thank you!" she exclaimed, when the Thrush came with a snail. Gingerly getting to her feet, the pigeon bowed many a time to express her gratitude, and then happily feasted on the snail. Now... Nothing would happen to the eggs if she flew off for a bit to seek out more provisions, right?

D1, please!
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Post Reply