Odd One Out - Game

And of old it was not darksome, but full of light and splendour, as is still remembered in our songs.
Warrior of Imladris
Odd One Out
Look at the picture(s).
Choose the odd one out.
Explain your reasoning: (your reasoning > your choice).
Win or lose.

(Picture poster will choose winner/new poster.)

Here we go:
Last edited by Lirimaer on Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Elven Enchanter
Ooh, fun a new game! This looks like it'll be lots of fun.

I think I am going to go with Snowmane. As far as I am aware, that is the only horse that dies during the books.

Ent Ancient
I'm going to guess Asfaloth because he is the only horse on the list who is not from Rohan.

Thain of The Mark
I'm going to answer Shadowfax, because in the grouping of pictures he is the only horse without a rider/human accompanying him.

But also because Shadowfax is no mere horse, he is the Lord of the Mearas. That alone sets him apart from all the others. :hobbyhorse:

Black Númenórean
I choose Brego because he's the only one (that we know of) to have kissed a future king awake.

(at least according to the movies)
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Master Torturer
Not quick enough but it is Asfaloth! He is Glorfindel's horse. The others were from Rohan. Though could be Shadowfax as he is the only one of the Mearas.. omg How can I choose!? Does it even matter at this point as both have been guessed :P

Istari Steward
Well it seems the most obvious answers are out (and by obvious I just mean the ones I wanted to use :anger: ) so after playing with the letters and syllables and finding nothing really convincing, I will go with Windfola, as that is the only one of these horses in book canon to have carried a lady into battle.

Khazad Elder
I am will say Shadowfax because, he is the only one purely of the Mearas division of horses, whilst all others, except Brego, are of the Rohirrim Culture.
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Warrior of Imladris
Hmm ... I will say that I was expecting less well-reasoned answers and more outrageous out-and-out lies! :lol:

You are all correct of course, but there can only be one winner, and reasoning is always going to trump the answer you give. I will add this to the top post.

In the meantime, however ... I choose @Dimcairien Luiniel because her answer most closely resembled my own thoughts.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Elven Enchanter
Ok, I guess this means I'm supposed to come up with something, so here goes. What was your line of thinking if I may ask?

Loremaster of the Herd
I am going to say it is BILBO, since CLEARLY the way to judge Hobbits is by whether or not they've taken a bath and a meal together at Crickhollow.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Black Númenórean
I choose Fatty because he never went on any adventures or did anything unexpected.

Also he gets a bonus point bc his full name is a well-loved Plaza swear filter replacement

Istari Steward
I choose Pippin because he's the only one who became a Thain of the Shire, as well as the only one of these (and I assume only hobbit ever?) to kill an Olog-hai as Guard of the Citadel.

(Meanwhile movie Pippin is over here drooling ale and saying "mission...quest...thang") :anger:

Warrior of Imladris
Um ... mine was 'Snowmane was the only dead one' or maybe 'the only one to kill his master' which is slightly morbid! :lol:

I choose Fatty - this is clearly a hairstyle issue and the others do not have his aerodynamic locks!

Khazad Elder
I choose Sam. He has that cute little lisp.

Elven Enchanter
I'm just popping in here to say that the character has been guessed, but no one is anywhere close to my reasoning. I'll give you guys another day or so before selecting whoever is closest if it doesn't get guessed correctly. :smile:

Warrior of Imladris
Or Bilbo - the only happy hobbit (and he's leaving them!!!!) :lol:

Chef
I'll go with Sam, because he was the only one to give up the ring in a truly voluntary way...no external pressure from an angry wizard or anything.
they/them/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

Istari Steward
Wait, we're supposed to be guessing what the poster had in mind? I thought we were trying to convince you that our reasoning was the best. Although I guess the OP does also say you poster chooses, so I guess you can have whatever criteria you want. Just trying to get the game straight though. :confused:

Warrior of Imladris
KingODuckingham wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:47 pm I thought we were trying to convince you that our reasoning was the best.
You are.

Elven Enchanter
I’m not quite sure what all is going on in with this game either, but I’ll choose @KingODuckingham for the next round. He choose Pippin, which was the one I was thinking of. Becoming Thain is pretty awesome, as is killing the Olag-hai, and defiantly something to be proud of. Also, I doubt anyone would’ve guessed my reasoning which is “he was the only one not an adult” considering the fact that Pippin was about 29 during the books.

Istari Steward
Alright, well I don't have the skills to make custom images, but let's try for this: Elves!

Khazad Youth
The second one (Thranduil, is it?) as he's the only one with Spock-like straight eyebrows. :D

Warrior of Imladris
Legolas, so pretty he doesn't need jewellery.

Elven Enchanter
Arwen as she is the only one who chooses to become mortal and as such (probably) doesn't travel to the Undying Lands.

Black Númenórean
My pick is Galadriel because she's the only one who was born in Aman.

Khazad Elder
I choose Legolas, not because he is pretty, but because out of this group, Legolas' date of birth is not known. This makes him the odd elf out, eh?

Loremaster of the Herd
My answer is Legolas, as the only one who never rules a kingdom (is Lothlorien a kingdom? Is Rivendell? You know what I mean.)
Last edited by Androthelm on Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Istari Steward
Ooh, @drifa , nifty pick! Definitely gotta hand it to you for that one. I thought this was a pretty tricky bunch but you guys came up with some good ones!

Khazad Elder
Thanks KingODuckingham! Okay, how about Odd Orc Out.

Warrior of Imladris
Oh this is rich fodder, I need to have 6 turns...

First, though, I pick Ugluk for his L'Oreal advert hair ... because he's worth it! (Now let's work on the skincare, dude.)

Black Númenórean
I choose Azog for his symmetrical scarring

New Soul
I choose Ufthak, because he looks like he got turned into a werewolf (Or more like someone's mom who wasn't good at sewing made a werewolf costume for you for Halloween because she was too cheap to let you buy the cool one)

Loremaster of the Herd
I choose Azog since he's the only Misty Mountains orc / "free" Orc (the others all being Mordor or Isengard orcs)

Istari Steward
I choose Gorbag because his name is the only one that consists of two common English words smashed together to make a horrifyingly gross title.

Khazad Elder
Gwai picked the right odd orc out, but not for the reason I had in mind. In this group of orcs, all where slain by the hand of their enemies except Ufthak. He was a victim of Shelob.

I can sympathize with you Gwai on having to wear the home made costumes. I was one of those mothers that made them. In my heyday, as a costume designer *grin* my first son was a dragon, superman, a pirate, and Venom. Then my second son came along and he did not want anything to do with mother gluing corn and cooked ground beef with lots of ketchup, to his tee-shirt so that it looked like he upchucked from eating to much candy. Not cool! *grin*

Warrior of Imladris
@Gwai make a new pic!! :smooch:

New Soul
Lol Drifa there's a lot to be said for homemade costumes!
@Lirimaer appreciate the tag!

Okay...category is *drum roll* FAMOUS KINGS. (Apologies this doesn't look as cool as the others, I've never used a photo collage thing before!)

Istari Steward
I choose the Witch King because he's the only one that serves the Dark Lord!

(and hey at least you collaged together instead of cheaping out like I did)

Black Númenórean
All the collages have looked amazing!

I choose Thingol because he's the only one whose main survival strategy was to have his powerful wife protect his kingdom for him

Warrior of Imladris
It's an excellent collage! (I didn't make mine!)

I've been looking at this for some time now, and in the absence of any humourous answers (I know, I am feeling the pressure!) I feel I have to choose Elros. Elros was only one who chose to die (eventually, when he might have had the eternal life of the Eldar).

He's still the only half-elven to choose mortality for a reason other than love (- I do not know his reasoning, and I do not like that I do not know. But I suspect much. I do wonder if he ever had cause to regret it.)

The others, excepting Aragorn, all came to untimely ends, and Aragorn's was just eventual.

Loremaster of the Herd
The collages are great! Also it took me three tries to spell collage!

Im going to argue for the Witch King, who was the only king who didn't rule a sovereign nation.

Khazad Elder
I pick Thingol. Out of this group of Kings, he is the only Elf. Also, the artist that drew the picture of Thingol is named Kimberly , a name, I especially like. *grin*

New Soul
All really good answers! The “correct” answer in my head was Théoden, because he was the only one killed by his horse.

I’m going to go with @Tarawen’s answer, because that’s really true about Thingol, and he needed to get over himself a bit.

(@Lirimaer really curious what you suspect about Elros!)

Black Númenórean
Thingol really did need to get over himself, didn't he? :lol:

Ok, I claim absolutely NO credit for this collage - it's by this amazing artist.

Khazad Elder
Nice collage!. I will pick Ulmo. Unlike the other Valar, he lived in the sea, in an octopus's garden. And he had a fishy magical car. *grin*

New Soul
I’m going with Melkor, because he’s the only one who lost something because he got sung to sleep (plus extreme evilness etc)

Istari Steward
Wow this is some striking art! It oozes style.

I'm going with Melkor because he's the only one on this list whose name both begins and ends with a consonant.

Storyteller
I love that artwork too!

I'll pick Ulmo, because out of those pictured he was the only one upset with Melkor being pardoned upon release for his first wars against the Valar.

Warrior of Imladris
Beautiful, I feel as if my choosing one I am choosing the best - and it is really not so!

Alright, I pick Yavanna for being the only one to have my favourite colour in it.