Rune Breaker WS RP

And of old it was not darksome, but full of light and splendour, as is still remembered in our songs.
Khazad Elder

The Dwarves have always used the Cirth (rune characters designed to be cut into a surface rather than written with a brush or pen). Word has come to the ears of the Dwarves that a new mining shaft has opened, and a rare tablet has been discovered. The translation of this tablet dates back to Durin I, the Deathless days. The hunt is now on to discover more tablets. Grab your spade and join the Dwarves as they delve into the past.

Here we are on the NuPlaza. Welcome, everyone!

1.This is Word Sleuth with a twist. WS RP, meaning one must RP in character in-game posts instead of just posting a play.
A storyline will be posted (like the one above) at the beginning of the match, and prompts will be given at each update to keep the game exciting and the RP going.

In Khazad-dûm, you my RP as a dwarf or your own character. But be warned, the tunnels are only 5 feet (1.52400 meters) high. If you are one of the tall folk, you may have to be bent over for long periods of time. If the game heads to another Kingdom, same rules apply (not the height thingy).

2. Distribution of the letters. The rule of the game states that letters should be hidden from your opponent. On the Old Plaza, letters were posted in the game thread (not hidden) Then there came a time when letters were sent to the captains and posted in private planning threads. I am not sure how to go about this on NuPlaza unless the letters are sent by email to players. Or, we can just post the letters in the game thread like in the old days. Please post your preference. Thank you.

3. Individual, teams, you decide.

4. Game updates - 36 hours

5. Mark OOC as OOC, no need to white out during game play. There is no need to RP during sign up until we get everyones preferences and questions answered.

6. Have fun!

Let the sign ups begin!
Last edited by Drifa on Wed May 18, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Healer of Imladris
I totally dropped the ball in the first WS match and should never be allowed to play on a team again. At first I blamed time zone differences, then it had been so long I just kept doing other stuff instead. :embarrassed: But if I can play individually I'd love to give it another shot.

On hidden letters--while I do think they make for better game play overall, I don't personally really mind having them visible or whited out in the main thread. Especially since it'll make your job easier @drifa!
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

Khazad Elder
With the help of two young dwarves (Alf and Duff), Drifa rolled the last ale barrel into the Word Sleuth hall - just in time. For a gamer had arrived.

Hi @Aerlinn! Good to see you! Yes, with less members, teams seem to be a second option. Although a team of two might find it convenient if they can not make the deadline. Thanks for thinking about me, but either way I will get the new letters sent/posted. *grin*

Let us see if anyone else cares to join us. :smooch:

High Warden of Tower
Hmmm, perhaps I could give it a go; it has been a while! I don't mind letters being posted in the thread, and can play either individually or in a team.

Elven Enchanter
I had great fun running a match, so it would be fun playing in one again. Now to decide which of my characters gets to find themselves in the middle of Khazad-dûm.

I don't mind having the letters available in the thread either and I can play individually or on a team. It doesn't matter to me. Though I agree with @drifa about the convenience of having a team of two.

@Aerlinn I honestly forgot you had signed up for the last match!

Warrior of Imladris
I like the idea of this. I don't mind letters being posted in the thread, and can play individually if there is a convenient UK time to post/good posting schedule. Otherwise I'm happy to be in a team of two.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Khazad Elder
Welcome aboard Pele, Dimcairien and Lirimaer.
I will most likely update the game in the morning around 7:00 a.m. I believe that would be around 12:00 pm your time, Lirimaer?

Will that time be convenient for you all?

Loremaster of the Herd
Hello! Hope I'm not too late, but I'd also love to throw my hat in. I've never... actually played Word Sleuth before, but I've always wanted to and kept an eye on the last thread. I can also play individually if need be (since I think I bring us back to an uneven number, unfortunately).
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Khazad Elder
Welcome Androthelm! You are not late, you are just in time. *grin*

Khazad Elder

RULES OF WORD SLEUTH
  • The object of the game is to make interlocking words (in a crossword style, across or down) on the board. These words score points
    depending on the letters and their placement on the board. At the end of the game the team with the highest score wins.
  • The players will have a rack of letters that they play from. The starting rack will have 7 letters.
  • The first player sets a word upon the board with one of the tiles on the center square (which is a double word tile). The word is scored and that team receives new tiles to replace the ones they used. Then the second player must create a word (or words) using at least one tile already set on the board and so on and so forth for each player.
  • The players alternate play, receiving new tiles to replace those used. The game continues until one of the players either uses all their tiles or is unable to make a play. Once that happens the round is completed.
  • Words must be placed either horizontally or vertically, reading left to right, or down. Diagonal words are not allowed. Words reading from right to left, or up are not allowed. Words requiring apostrophes or hyphens are not allowed. All words must be found in the Word Sleuth Dictionary , unless quoted from Tolkien's works.
  • When a word is placed on the board any letters they touch in adjacent rows must form complete words. The score includes all words formed or modified during the turn.
New words may be formed by:
Adding one or more letters to a word already on the board.
Placing a word at right angles to a word already on the board, using one of its letters or adding a letter to it.
Placing a complete word parallel to a word already played so that adjacent letters also form complete words.
  • No play will be accepted after the 36-hour deadline has passed. No tile may be shifted or removed after a play is posted. Neither can a play be edited or deleted in an attempt to alter a play. However, if a player wish to clarify an issue, such as adding a source to a quote, or correcting misspellings of words, they may do so in a separate post.
  • You may use a turn to exchange all or some of your letters. If you exchange letters, that is your turn.
Challenge:
If a player thinks a play is invalid, they can ask the Moderator to rule on it and either allow or disallow the play.
Scoring:
Each play will be scored by adding up the tile values of all words formed, adding any applicable ME Bonus, applying the Board Bonuses. Words that use all seven letters will receive an additional Bonus of 50 points.
  • The value of any tiles left in the racks at the end of the game will be deducted from that team’s score. Blank tiles have no score value.
A Middle Earth Bonus:
A bonus of 10 points will be applied to scores for Tolkien words and 5 points for generic words (i.e., words not specific to Tolkien works), played that are supported by a valid quote from the approved list of J.R.R. Tolkien’s writings of fiction:
The Hobbit
The Lord Of The Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Children Of Húrin
The History of Middle-earth (HoME)
A Tolkien word is defined as: A word not found in the Word Sleuth Dictionary, yet found in Tolkien, or a word that, although found in the Word Sleuth Dictionary, has a unique meaning in Tolkien's works, for example, the word Shire.
In the case of using a quote, it can be no more than 250 words in length, and has to be one single quote. If you play the same word twice in one turn, then the word must be found twice in the quote. For example, if you play AN and AN in one turn, the word AN must feature twice in the quote you provide in order for you to get the bonus for each word.
The Bonus will be added BEFORE any additional increase (Triple Word Scores, etc.) The word being quoted must appear exactly as you have played (i.e. "jumped" cannot be used if you only played "jump").
If you wish to play a Tolkien word, yet a quote on another word in the same play with gain you a higher score, (for example, you play ARAGORN under an E also forming EA, and ARAGORN falls on a TWS, then quoting ARAGORN will obviously get you more points than quoting EA) you may give a separate quote verifying that it exists in a Tolkien book, but obviously you won't score points for it.
  • There is a 36-hour deadline each turn. ( The deadline is subject to change depending on how the game unfolds and the amount of participants)
Posting Format:
For actual plays on the board the following format should be followed, please:
Team A Playing Post
GET vertically with the G at the end of JO so also making JOG and DOPE
GET=2+1+(1*3) = 6+5ME = 16
JOG=8+1+2 = 11
DOPE=2+1+3+1 = 7
Total = 34
Quote:
"That settles it!" said Frodo. "Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones. At all costs we must keep you away from the Golden Perch. We want to get to Bucklebury before dark. What do you say, Sam?" (Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms)
A polite notice: if using a Blank Tile, could you please indicate this when making your play. For example, Team A wish to play EXIT, with the Blank Tile being T. This just makes it easier for our mod. Thanks!
Last edited by Drifa on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior of Imladris
Very convenient for me, I can make words in the evening :)
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Khazad Elder
TO BEGIN:
All letters have been placed into a small leather pouch and shuffled about. I have drawn the letters in this order: @Aerlinn, @Pele Alarion , @Dimcairien Luiniel , @Lirimaer , @Androthelm. The player drawing the letter nearest the beginning of the alphabet plays first, and so on and so forth. I drew T, S, A, R, U. The letters were re shuffled and seven tiles were drawn for each players rack.

Dimcairien Luiniel
*E R L A J E S*
Lirimaer
*I A I A O T D*
Pele Alarion
*E F R O C F BLANK*
Aerlinn
*G E A S O N N*
Androthelm
*E Z T L W A P*
@Dimcairien you have 36 hours to make your first play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: You hear music in the walls of the mine and are not sure if you should mention it to anyone, or if it is all just in your head.

The Dwarves have always used the Cirth (rune characters designed to be cut into a surface, rather than written with a brush or pen). Word has come to the ears of the Dwarves that a new mining shaft has been opened and a rare tablet has been discovered. The translation of this tablet dates back to the days of Durin I the Deathless. The hunt is now own to discover more tablets. Grab your spade and join the Dwarves as they delve into the past.

As foreperson of this new mine, The Mine of Tablets, Drifa has set up her work table near the entrance. There are mining tools placed along the wall and a table with refreshments (water, ale, wine). A rope ladder leads down the shaft to the mine. Glow lamps are also available. Greeting the miners who have come with a bow, the old dwarf smiles and speaks.

"Welcome to Rune Breaker, the Mine of Tablets. Many tablets are yet to be found. All will be reward for their finds and efforts. All tablets must be brought to my table for inspection. Please do not stay in the mines beyond the regulation time of 36 hours. A few Dwarves that have stayed to long, have gone batty in the head. Gases in the shafts would be my guess, but one never knows.
Good luck and good digging!"

Elven Enchanter
As she stumbled into the cave, she thought she heard the sound of music. It was strange. She looked around to see if anyone else heard it, but no one else seemed to notice. Strange things were always occuring in the dwarven lands, so who knew if it was real or if it was some dwarven magic.

She listened as Drifa gave the instructions. With a nod, she headed down into the mine to search for the tablets. It was hard searching for the tablets, but shortly before the 36 hours were up, she reappeared hoping that her quest had been successful. She handed the tablets to the dwarf and explained the word she would like to make.

I would like to play Erelas horizontally with the "E" on the double letter tile.
1(x2 DLS)+1+1+1+1+1=7 + 10 ME = 17 x 2 CDW = 34

"For answer, Gandalf cried aloud to his horse. "On, Shadowfax! We must hasten. Time is short. See! The beacons of Gondor are alight, calling for aid. War is kindled. See, there is the fire on Amon Dîn, and flame on Eilenach; and there they go speeding west: Nardol, Erelas, Min-Rimmon, Calenhad, and the Halifirien on the borders of Rohan." - Return of the King, Minas Tirith

(No idea how the RP is supposed to work exactly with the game, but hopefully it makes sense.)

Khazad Elder
This WS RP is new to me too. *grin*
You do not have to announce your play post to me, just post it. That is the WS part of the game. Leave the tablet with me and make any comments you might have about your find. You can RP what is written on your tablet (which is the word you are posting); wipe some dust from your eye; remove a stone from your boot; drink a mug of ale; or say nothing and just leave the tablet. This is the RP part of the game. As well as your time in the mine finding a tablet (word), of course.
I hope this make sense. It is early and I have only had one cup of coffee. *grin* I found this in one of my old files dated, November, 5, 2013 (edit: the actual year was 2010,man time flies).
Early Morning Update

A reminder: In Khazad-dûm, you my RP as a dwarf or your own character. But be warned, the tunnel is only 5 feet 6 inches (1.676 meters) high. If you are one of the taller folk, you may have to be bent over whilst you mine. A challenging RP for an Ent (Androthelm :wink: )

Now back to WS RP.
Drifa looked at the tablet Dimcairien left at her table. ERELAS, a Beacon of Gondor. Not the highest beacon but an important one nonetheless. Why would her ancestors have written this word on a tablet? Maybe other tablets would give a clue. Placing the tablet in a special chest lined with soft cloth, she turned and said.
"Thank you Dimcairien. I have placed your find with the others. How was your first dig? Did you see anything unusual down there?

UPDATE

Dimcairien Luiniel - 34 points
*J I A U I H V*
Lirimaer
*I A I A O T D*
Pele Alarion
*E F R O C F BLANK*
Aerlinn
*G E A S O N N*
Androthelm
*E Z T L W A P*

@Lirimaer you have 36 hours to make your first play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: You had to wear boots two sizes to big.
Last edited by Drifa on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior of Imladris
Image Vestri Karkûna

She'd heard the music last night and it'd worked its magic on her and she'd made her mind up to heed its siren's song in the morning, but when she awoke the music had stopped. Still, she had nothing pressing to do, so she dressed quickly in the dark, combed her hair, trimmed her stubble, stuffed her feet into her boots. They felt weird. Either her feet had shrunk in the dark, or someone had stolen her boots and replaced them with a larger size.

She stomped carefully and noisily down to the food hall, enquiring about the whereabouts of her taller and sneakier sister, Austri. Austri was nowhere to be seen, and after a cooked breakfast, Vestri went back to her room, put on a few more pairs of socks, grabbed her mining tools and headed down to the place where the shaft had been opened and the infamous Drifa had set up a refreshments station. Taking an ale and quaffing it in one, Vestri gave the dwarf a salute as she descended the ladder into the murky depths.

A short time later, she emerged dusty and tired, bearing three tablets. She'd have stayed down there longer, but she was worried she couldn't have lifted any more. "I'll be back again soon!" she coughed, placing the tablets on Drifa's table and stomping off to find her sister.

I shall play IOTA horizontally with the IO under the AS of ERELAS. This will also create AI and SO.

IOTA = 1+1(*2)+1+1 = 5
AI = 1+1 = 2 + 10 MEbonus = 12
SO = 1+1(*2) = 3 + 5 bonus = 8
Total = 25

When he saw Strider, he dismounted and ran to meet him calling out: Ai na vedui Dúnadan! Maegovannen! His speech and clear ringing voice left no doubt in their hearts: the rider was of the Elven-folk. No others that dwelt in the wide world had voices so fair to hear.
~ Flight to the Ford, Fellowship of the Ring

Khazad Elder
Rubbing her arms and stomping her feet, Drifa contemplated how chilly the mornings were becoming. She would soon have to get out her fur-lined hat, vest and boots. Cold toes, cold fingers, a curse that had snuck up on her and made her fingers and toes, and sometimes the tip of her nose, turn blue. Mind, she loved the cold days and winter, but not turning blue. Hopefully, the forging shifts would soon go back to the winter hours.
A miner with big boots (Vestri Karkûna) tramped towards her table and placed three tablets on it.
"Thank you!" Drifa said with a nod of her head. "Blessed you've been with some big feet, I see, oi? A good thing to have when you get into a pub brawl" She winked at the miner, then looked at the new tablets. She wrote each word down on a long scroll and then placed the tablets into a chest. Stroking her beard, she pondered over the words.
So deep was she in thought that she did not see the two sneaky rascals (Alf and Duff) enter the cave. They were chugging down the miner's ale like there was no tomorrow. Having been noticed, the two young dwarves made a hasty exit from the cave. Drifa, her ire up, hollered at their fleeing backs.
" Why, you scoundrels! Wait till I find you! You will be rolling barrels of ale till the sun turns blue, like my fingers and nose, you will!" She shook her fist at the exit, then walked over to the ale barrel and rocked it. Sadly its contents were quite low. She hoped the miners would be satisfied with water and wine for now. The wine, although, was the strong elvish vintage. NOT meant for quenching one's thirst.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO

UPDATE

*J I A U I H V*
Lirimaer - 25 points
*I A D I U R T*
Pele Alarion
*E F R O C F BLANK*
Aerlinn
*G E A S O N N*
Androthelm
*E Z T L W A P*

@Pele Alarion you have 36 hours to make your first play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: You wonder about the miner with the big boots (Vestri Karkûna) and boldly ask what size boots she wears.
Last edited by Drifa on Wed May 18, 2022 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Cadil

He was not exactly sure why he had even come here and whether that was a good idea, but here he was nonetheless and ready to do some digging and what not. Armed with a shovel and a pickaxe, the young Gondorian entered the mines and immediately found that he was too tall. Apparently he'd have to go about his work either on his knees or stooped over. Crawling some distance into one of the 'holes' he spotted something that looked useful up above his head.
Settling down on his knees, he began to work away heartily with a pickaxe, and as he did so, a tablet came loose, and with it a few others came tumbling down on his head, leaving him with a bruise and a black eye as he had not been quick enough to cover his head.
With a grown, youngster collected the tablets that had fallen all about him and crawled his way out.
"Here... You should've warned me that these can fall down unexpectedly," the lad said to Drifa as he deposited his findings before her.
And as he looked after Vestri who had just left again for work, Cadil gave a whistle at seeing the humongous boots.
"Heeeey!" he called, hastening after her. "Your feet are mighty big, I see. Think all of my boots could fit into one of yours. What size do you even wear?" His questions came hurtling out before he realised that he might seem to be rather impolite as he neither introduced himself nor asked for the name of the person he was speaking to.

Playing SCOFFER (with a blank tile as S) horizontally with R under AI, also forming AIR

SCOFFER = 0(*3)+3+1+4+4(*3)+1+1=22 + 50 (7-letter bonus) = 72
AIR = 1+1+1=3 + 5 (ME bonus) = 8
Total: 80

Quote: "Here was one with an air of high nobility such as Aragorn at times revealed, less high perhaps, yet also less incalculable and remote: one of the Kings of Men born into a later time, but touched with the wisdom and sadness of the Eldar Race." (ROTK, The Siege of Gondor)

OOC: (hopefully I did the calculations right - it has been a while since I've played WS!)

Khazad Elder
A tall Gondorian (Cadil) made his way towards Drifa's table. Two questions popped into her mind at the sight of him. What was a tall Gondorian doing in a dwarven mine and why did he look so beat up (black eye)? And another question popped into her head at the last moment when the youngster deposited his tablets on her table, and then charged her for not warning him of falling dangers. Why was he holding her accountable for not warning him of the dangers one may encounter in a mine? He was a young one, but still, didn't he have some training? Another question she would not waste her time finding out. This was work, not kindygarden. She would, though, have to bring him down a notch so that his carelessness would not have him killed. Placing her hands upon her hips and a friendly grin upon her lips (so as not to scare the lad), she said.
"Greetings! I thank you kindly for uncovering these two tablets. Oi, the digging was a little rough on you I see. That be a nasty shiner you got there,' she pointed at the lad's face and continued speaking. " You have to wear head protection if you want to become a miner. Do you not have some kind of helmet you could wear? If so I would advise you to wear it."
She nodded and smiled, then turned to the tablets without an other word. She did still wonder why the youth was breaking his back in the mines. Maybe he needed extra coin to by a helmet?
"Bah! Who knows." she exclaimed under her breath.
She examined the tablets, then placed them in a chest. The puzzle was still unsolvable, it would seem. Scoffer? Air? Very strange words indeed.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR

UPDATE

*J I A U I H V*
Lirimaer - 25 points
*I A D I U R T*
Pele Alarion - 80 points
*D Y O P H O R*
Aerlinn
*G E A S O N N*
Androthelm
*E Z T L W A P*

@Aerlinn you have 36 hours to make your first play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Hearing Drifa's remark about wearing a helmet, you.....
OOC *Nice play Pele!*

Healer of Imladris
Once a Bree-lander
always a rascal

Talen tugged a bit nervously at his beard and felt the glue start to peel off along his left jawline. It was a few shades lighter than the shaggy mop on his head and the braids were rather ragged. Perhaps he needn't have attempted to disguise himself, there was at least one more human here already, but he could hardly reveal himself as a liar now. At least, or perhaps unfortunately, he was still an appropriate height. As of yet, no amount of hanging upside-down from trees had succeeded in triggering a growth spurt.

He took a closer look at the other human, who had just come up from the mines, and winced. No wonder the dwarf in charge was talking about helmets. Talen dug around in his pack and came up with the small pot he used for cooking. Well, it was better than nothing, probably. He shoved it over his hair and darted down the mine shaft before anyone could stop to question him. On to gold!

There was no gold. There were no gems. There was not, in fact, the slightest hint of anything shiny.

In the end, Talen made his way back up with a few oddly scratched pieces of rock. "Erm, here's these. Are they really what you're looking for?" he asked Drifa. He attempted to lower his voice to a proper dwarfish rumble and it cracked embarrassingly instead. "It's just when I heard about new mine shafts in Mori--Khazad-dum! I thought there would be, you know," the boy leaned in a bit and stage whispered "treasure!"

Playing ASGON underneath the E and R of SCOFFER, also making EA and AIRS.

ASGON = [1+1+2+1+2+10 (ME bonus)] x2 (double word) = 32
EA = 1+1 = 2
AIRS = 1+1+1+1 = 4
Total: 38

"'Farewell now, Lord of Dor-lomin,' said Asgon. 'But do not forget us. We shall be hunted men now; and the Wolf-folk will be crueler because of your coming. Therefore go, and do not return, unless you come with strength to deliver us. Farewell!'" (The Children of Hurin, The Return of Turin to Dor-lomin)

OOC: (I hope I scored that right! It's correct that I can't also claim an ME bonus for EA, yes? It would have had to appear in the same TCoH quote?)

[OOPS! Edited for a failure at basic math. :lol:]
Last edited by Yávië on Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Khazad Elder
Had the Rune Breaker mining expedition becoming a quasi-daycare? Drifa snorted and looked down her nose at the new miner (Talen) that had approached her table. Looking at him, she couldn't help feeling that the committee that had chosen her for the foreperson job had all been in on some prank to get her riled. She shook her head and sighed. There was no use getting upset. Even if this was the case, she would just have to play along till her replacement came. If they didn't want to take this dig seriously, neither would she.
Before her stood a boy (or a very short man) with a fake beard that was slowly detaching from his face and a cooking pot a top his mop of a head. He had found some tablets, but from his enquiries, he seemed disappointed with just that. He was apparently more intrigued with finding treasure which he had declared to her in a large whisper.

"Treasure?" Drifa repeat as she looked at the tablets. "Well there are all kinds of treasure, you just have to know how to dig for it." Reaching into her pack, she pulled out a spoon and held it up in front of the youth's face.
"This spoon," she said, "has dug in and found many a treasure. Hot treasure, cool treasure, sweet treasure, all kinds. Here lad," she said handing it to him, "take it, you can try your luck with it. Oh, and thank you for the tablets."
Turning back to the tablets, hiding a grin that had suddenly bloomed upon her lips, she jotted down the tablet words and stored them away.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS

UPDATE

*J I A U I H V*
Lirimaer - 25 points
*I A D I U R T*
Pele Alarion - 80 points
*D Y O P H O R*
Aerlinn - 38 points
*E N T Q BLANK E I*
Androthelm
*E Z T L W A P*

@@Androthelm you have 36 hours to make your first play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: You hear the same music in the mine that Dimcairien heard. Do you let her know? Do you let Drifa know? Do you let everyone know? Or do you keep it to yourself in case you may be hearing things too?

OOC * Scoring is good, Aerlinn. I calculated 38 points for your play and have adjusted your score. *grin* *

Loremaster of the Herd
Sveru Goldhand

At long last, Sveru was free to descend into the mines. It had taken him a solid month or so to make all the arrangements, even once the mines were reopened and the local ordinances changed -- say what you wanted about these lunatic dwarves who had been among the first to resettle Khazad-dum, they did not give up their riches lightly.
But Sveru was a Longbeard too, and had he not been mixed up in that awful speculation business with out east he might have been one of these madcap fools rushing off to resettle the lost halls of Moria.
Anyway, he was here now and digging--for runes, if not for gold. He hummed a bit as he worked... And, to his surprise, the walls seemed to hum back. He paused. They paused. He hummed. They hummed. Perhaps it was an echo? Perhaps something was... singing along with him? Something... awoken in the deep?
Sveru shivered. He had heard enough stories. Glancing down at his (slightly simple) finds, he decided it was plenty hurried back toward the main chamber. "Overseer Drifa--" he called, then bit his tongue. What if they think you're as mad as cousin Halfan? "I've--Er, Got something for you. That's all."

For my first ever WS move in the history of the Plaza, I'm playing FATE, descending from the first F in SCOFFER.

The Fellowship of the Ring, Book II, Chapter 7: The Mirror of Galadriel
"At length the Lady spoke again. `Let us return! ' she said. `In the morning you must depart for now we have chosen, and the tides of fate are flowing.'"

FATE = [4+1+1+1+5 (ME Bonus)] x2 (Double Word) = 24
Last edited by Androthelm on Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khazad Elder
Another Dwarf (Sveru Goldhand)! Drifa had begun to wonder if any other of her kin apart from Vestri Karkûna would be joining the dig. She was not sure if she had ever met Sveru Goldhand before, but she was sure pleased to see him. Maybe he would help some of the younger diggers in their exploits down in the mine. Mind you, Sveru looked a little spooked as he placed his tablet on her table. She was about to enquire if all was well with him when the blasphemy occurred.
"Master Drifa--" he called,"
Drifa's eyes grew wide as she heard Sveru address her in such a way. Puffing out her chest indignantly and to also emphasize her points, she could not for the life of her see how he could make such a mistake. But then, she thought, maybe this particular Dwarf was not short-sighted (like most Dwarves) but, far-sighted? "Bah!" Blowing out her breath, which deflated her chest and her indignance, she could not help but suddenly laugh to herself. After all, it was not the size of ones chest that matter, but how one used that chest to get ahead in this world. Bowing low before Sveru, she said.
"Greetings! Drifa at your service! Welcome to the dig and thank you for the find!"

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE

UPDATE

Dimcairien Luiniel
- 34 points
*J I A U I H V*
Lirimae - 25 points
*I A D I U R T*
Pele Alarion - 80 points
*D Y O P H O R*
Aerlinn - 38 points
*E N T Q BLANK E I*
Androthelm - 24 points
*Z L W P V A E*

@Dimcairien Luiniel you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Your glow light burns out and you find yourself in the dark. Do you call out to one of the other miners for help or do you try and find your own way out?

OOC * Round one is over. Well done everyone! And congratulations to Androthelm on his first ever Word Sleuth post.*grin* *
Last edited by Drifa on Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Warrior of Imladris
OOC Pfft Drifa - I am being a Dwarf. :p Also, where did the A of ERELAS go?

Khazad Elder
OOC Thanks for pointing it out, Lirimaer. All mistakes and oversights have been fixed; mind you, I was not quite sure at first if your were a Dwarf. I think it had something to do with this sentence in your RP post and the part of the text I underlined. "Still, she had nothing pressing to do, so she dressed quickly in the dark, combed her hair, trimmed her stubble, stuffed her feet into her boots." *grin*

Come gather 'round, people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin'
And you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin
' *Bob Dylan*

The Naugrim were ever, as they still remain, short and
squat in stature; they were deep-breasted, strong in the arm,
and stout in the leg, and their beards were long. Indeed this
strangeness they have that no Man nor Elf has ever seen a
beardless Dwarf - unless he were shaven in mockery, and would
then be more like to die of shame than of many other hurts that
to us would seem more deadly. For the Naugrim have beards
from the beginning of their lives, male and female alike; nor
indeed can their womenkind be discerned by those of other
race, be it in feature or in gait or in voice, nor in any wise save
this: that they go not to war, and seldom save at direst need
issue from their deep bowers and halls. J.R.R. Tolkien

Loremaster of the Herd
OOC @drifa, sorry about the "Master" thing -- I was struggling to find a feminine version, trying to channel the Dwarves calling Bilbo "Master Baggins" -- "Mistress" felt like it had too many other implications! Sveru is a grump, but not one to misgender

Warrior of Imladris
OOC - you shall just have to suck it up that she is a modern-thinking gal. ;)

Khazad Elder
OOC I sucked it up! :D
OOC No worries Androthelm, it gave me something to write about in my post. I believe mistress would be find; a woman in a position of authority or control. I am sure the Dwarves didn't call the female Dwarves, Dude! *grin*

Elven Enchanter
Unnamed Female Dwarf (my brain isn't working right now, so if anyone wants to give me a name, you're welcome to do so)

It wasn't much longer before she had to head back down into the mines yet again to search for more tablets. Unfortunately this time, just as she was about to turn around and head back up to Drifa with several more tablets, her lanturn fluttered out. Cursing her luck, she called out a tentative, "Hello?" and waited to see if anyone would hear her. A few minutes later when she had yet to hear a reply, she decided to risk her luck trying to find her way out of the shaft. Luckily, it wasn't too long before she figured out which way was up and eventually made her, dirty and tired, way out of the shaft and delivered the newest set of tablets to the waiting dwarf.

I would like to play the word VAL vertically using the L in ELERAS

VAL = 4+1(x2 DLS)+1=7+10 ME = 17

"val - 'power' in Valar, Valacirca, Valaquenta, Valaraukar, Val(i)mar, Valinor." Silmarillion, Appendix

OOC: I live in California. Dude is basically a gender-neutral term here. And it has a variety of other meanings as well.

Khazad Elder
Six chests had been filled thus far and Drifa was pleased. Her crew was doing a wonderful job finding the hidden tablets in record time. Yes, she was quite pleased. She had hunted down the scoundrels, Alf and Duff (both slightly heavy-headed from to much ale). They were to bring fresh barrels of ale to the cave posthaste. Of course they still had not arrived. This was typical of the twain. She had her tea, in any case, and was content with that. But, the diggers would be getting thirsty. The dig was now on the second leg. It would become more intense as it neared the end of the allot time given to it, from her experience , and the refreshments (ale) would be needed.
Stroking her beard as she mused over the beverage situation, she looked up to see a very dirty Dimora (Dimcairien) climb out of the shaft. She had a single tablet which she dropped on the table.

"Thank you Dimora! You look tired and well, dusty. The ale should be arriving soon. There is water and wine, if you care to indulge. I have also set out some fresh bread and good hard cheese. Oi, keep your strength up lass! You are doing a find job."
ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL-

UPDATE

Dimcairien Luiniel - 51 points
*J I U I H E I*
Lirimae - 25 points
*I A D I U R T*
Pele Alarion - 80 points
*D Y O P H O R*
Aerlinn - 38 points
*E N T Q BLANK E I*
Androthelm - 24 points
*Z L W P V A E*

@Lirimaer you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: You get might thirsty from digging, looking for your sister, and keeping your stubble trimmed, so you decide to have a mug of the elvish wine seeing that the ale has not arrived yet. Did you drink to much?

UPDATE
I totally forgot about the Appendix in The Silmarillion and The Etymologies in HoME V. In the day, there was a lot of controversy (I believe the Wizards left the league because of it, unfortunately) over the use of elements from these sources being used as words. I was guilty of it many times, not knowing better. Seeing as no rule was posted disallowing these sources for this match, quotes will be allowed from them for the time being. Thanks!
OOC Yes the use of dude is gender-neutral in Canada, too. They haven't changed the meaning of the word 'dude', yet. It still means a man or a guy. It will probably have a new definition soon enough I'll warrant you . I like dudette for a female. Its cute. *grin*
Last edited by Drifa on Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior of Imladris
OOC - I think the VAL comes down to the L in ERELAS, there is no room to make VERELAS (if it is even a Tolkien word) with VAL coming down from the V because of SCOFFER. Not that the board appears updated to me anyway currently, but your word list has VERELAS, so ... I am extrapolating.

Khazad Elder
OOC Wonder where the VERELAS came from. Must have slipped a V there when I was helping Alf and Duff roll in the ale. And I was sure I updated the board, but that was just before we tapped one of the barrels open and had a few. I guess the update was forgotten after the third mug. I sure hope that it did not delay or prevent you from playing. *hugs*
Last edited by Drifa on Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Warrior of Imladris
Image Vestri Karkûna

It had been a few days since her last trip down the mine shaft. It was surprisingly exhausting down there, perhaps something in the dusty tablets was affecting her? She'd had a tickly cough for a few days, and her sister had taken pity on her and returned her boots - though without any reasonable excuse. Vestri had spent some time installing a new locking mechanism into her chambers, and woe betide the sneakthief if she came again.

Today she had been up with the lark, and eaten breakfast with the midnight crew who were heading to their pits. She had some eye protection and a dust-filtering mask for her nose and mouth. Today she was not going to inhale more than she excavated.

"Good morning," she said to Drifa on the desk, realising she hadn't introduced herself last time in her bad mood with her oversized boots. "Vestri at your service. I'm heading down again today."

The trip down was easy enough, no challenge there. but with her eye protection on, it was hard to see whether something was a word, or a rune or even just some random scratches. She eventually managed to dig something up which she was rather intrigued by. She took it up to Drifa for further examination. "What do you make of this one?" she asked, helping herself to a cup of something rich and red. Oh no! she thought wildly, as she actually tasted some of the mixture she'd already had half a tankard of. This was that Dale-sponsored Dorwinion, and she was gonna have to be rolled out of here. Perhaps Drifa had a rollmat somewhere she could sleep on?

I shall play ISTARI vertically using the S of SCOFFERS.

ISTARI = (1+0+1+1+1+1 = 5 + 10Me bonus)*2 = 30

Even as the first shadows were felt in Mirkwood there appeared in the west of Middle-earth the Istari, whom Men called the Wizards.
~ Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age, The Silmarillion

OOC - Nah, don't worry!!
Edit - just noticed you reddened the S ... took the point off.

Khazad Elder
"Good morning!' said Drifa to the begoggled, mask wearing Dwarf, who introduced herself as, Vestri. " At your service as well! I see you have found a pair of boots that fit you? Good! What have you found?" she looked at the tablet that was placed on her table. ISTARI was carved into the stone. Scratching her head, she said to her fellow Dwarf.
"I can not, for the life of me, figure out what our ancestors were on about. It is as though they were speaking in some kind of coded tongue. A tongue I have never heard of. I am familiar with some of the words, but what does it all mean, I wonder?"
Jotting the word down on her list with the others, she noticed Vestri downing a flagon of the elvish wine. Someone would be needing a sleep before long, she thought, as she grinned beneath her finely combed beard
"Mayhap our ancestors had been into the elvish wine too, eh? What do you think?"

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI

UPDATE

Dimcairien Luiniel (Dimora) - 51 points
*J I U I H E I*
Lirimaer (Vestri Karkûna) - 57 points
*D U G N L K W*
Pele Alarion (Cadil) - 80 points
*D Y O P H O R*
Aerlinn (Talen ) - 38 points
*E N T Q BLANK E I*
Androthelm (Sveru Goldhand) - 24 points
*Z L W P V A E*

@Pele Alarion you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: You feel something brush up against your leg whilst digging out a tablet. It is a 'kitty in the coal mine' (Dwarves use cats instead of canaries as an early indicator of potential danger) You.....?

UPDATE
Hopefully these correction updates will not be a regular part of the initial update. :googly: I overlooked the fact that the letter S in SCOFFER was a BLANK and only corrected it after Lirimaer's play. So her score will remain 32, and I shall attempt to be more observant. Thanks!
Last edited by Drifa on Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

High Warden of Tower
Cadil

It was a tiring thing to go digging about the mines, and even though Cadil had not even been about it that long, he already felt his back and knees ache from all the stooping, digging and crawling. However, he was curious, and so he kept on, perhaps hoping for some hidden treasure that he might be allowed to keep for himself.

While he was carefully digging out a tabled from the wall of a cave, he suddenly felt something gentle against his leg. He nearly dropped his tool in surprise, but somehow managing to keep a hold on it he looked down at a cat at his feet. What did he hear say about cats in the mines? Danger?

With a certain amount of haste Cadil scooped up the cat with one arm, and grabbed his tool and a tablet with the other, and made his way out. "I found this," he reported to Drifa, setting down a tablet. "And also a cat..." The other hand now also free, the shovel tucked behind his belt, the young Gondorian found himself scratching the cat behind the ears and listened to the contented purring.

~~~~~
I'll play HOPE vertically, using the first E of ERELAS.

HOPE = 4+1+3+1 = 9 + 5 (MEB) = 14

"Courage will now be your best defence against the storm that is at hand – that and such hope as I bring.", ROTK, Minas Tirith

Khazad Elder
Cadil looked a little bent out of shape from his time in the mines, yet he still had a determined look in his eyes. He brought his latest find to the table carrying a small surprise. It was one of the cats that made their home in the mines, amongst the wooden framing that shored up the walls, and the soft bedding that the Dwarves provide. This amiable cat was named, Kazzo. Drifa smiled at the young man and said.

"Thank you for finding yet another tablet. And, treating Kazzo with respect. She plays an important part in the mines for us Dwarves. She has saved our necks many a time. She also keeps the mice under control. Glad I am to see her and you, but alas, she is the early warning sign of danger. I hope....."

But before she could finish her sentence, a loud rumbling shook the cave. This was followed by the crashing and grinding of rock, which came loudly through the open shaft, with quite a bit of dust bellowing out. Covering her nose and mouth with her hand, she made her way towards the shaft thinking how lucky it was that none had been down in the mine digging at the time. Attempting to wave away the dust, she gazed down. The ladder lay at the the bottom of the shaft broken in half. The main area beneath the ladder appeared to be clear and still structurally sound . The cave-in would be further in. This was good. She would have to send a few seasoned Dwarves down to assess the situation, but she was sure the dig would be able to proceed. Turning to Cadil she said.

"How are you Cadil? Not to shook up? " Then pointing at the cat that still rested in the Gondorian's arms, she said. "Thank Mahal for our feline friend. Kazzo has saved the day, again!"

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE

UPDATE

*J I U I H E I*
*D U G N L K W*
Pele Alarion (Cadil) - 94 points
*D Y O R B S M*
Aerlinn (Talen ) - 38 points
*E N T Q BLANK E I*
*Z L W P V A E*

@Aerlinn you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: You volunteer to help bring the broken ladder up by descending into the shaft on a rope, or you stand with your pot on your head, to frighten to come forth?

Healer of Imladris
There was a great crash and Talen tumbled away from the opening to the mine clutching the tablets he had found, and Drifa's spoon, to his chest. "Whaecgh! eck! cack-was that?" he yelped through a fit of coughing brought on the by the cloud of dust that erupted up the shaft. He dropped the stones and waved the spoon around ineffectually in front of his face. The dwarf was already peering down the mine shaft.

The boy, his drooping, glued-on beard now black with dirt, crawled back towards the mine and stuck his head into the opening as far as he dared. He could make out the broken ladder. He looked up at Drifa and the heroic...cat? dwarves had cats?...she was praising.

"I can go down on a rope, m'am," he offered, the thrill of adventure and daring overtaking the nervous twinge in his stomach as he spoke. "See what's what and bring up the ladder." He had a coil in his pack--rope had seemed like the sort of thing one brought for mining--and he took it out now and tied it off to one of the beams that supported the opening. He felt uncharacteristically self-conscious with his audience and watched Drifa out of the corner of his eye for signs he was doing something wrong. But he had had plenty of reason to swing over walls and out of windows before, and this wasn't much different except for the scenery.

"Keep a hand on this, will ya?" He tied the other end of the rope around his waist, gave it a good tug in test, and dropped down.

Playing QUENT (BLANK tile as 'U') with the T making TI at the top of ISTARI.

QUENT = [10+0+1+1+1+10 (ME bonus)] x3 (triple word) = 69
TI = 1+1 = 2
Total: 71

"Gwedrin belongs with cwed- (preterite cwenthi) ‘say, tell’, cweth ‘word’, cwent ‘tale, saying’, cwess ‘saying, proverb’, cwedri ‘telling (of tales)’, ugwedriol ‘unspeakable, ineffable’. In QL under root q e t e are qet- (qentë) ‘speak, talk’, quent ‘word’, qentelë ‘sentence’, Eldaqet = Eldarissa, etc. Cf. the Appendix to The Silmarillion, entry quen- (quet-)." (The Book of Lost Tales II, Appendix Names in the Lost Tales Part II)

OOC: That double letter space is going to haunt me. :brickwall: :lol:

Khazad Elder
Drifa watched as Talen dropped down into the shaft without a backwards glance or any sign of fear or trepidation. She bowed her head towards his descending back, in a show of admiration. He was a brave one, she had to give him that. She then sent Alf and Duff (who were always loitering about) to the builders for a new ladder. She was determined to keep the dig going. Looking at the cat Kazzo still nestled in Cadil's arms, she pondered.

Dwarves were not known to keep pets of any kind. The cats were more like, associates - which worked out fine for both dwarf and cat. At one point they had attempted to use ravens as their so called 'canaries in the coal mine' . But ravens were to proud and to free to be convinced that the job had its rewards (free rodents). And so, it was a trek through the Vales of the Anduin and to a settlement of Men that the idea of using cats came about.
These folks had different types of animals in their homesteads that they treated like their children. They had many cats. They told the dwarves how the cats kept the mice and other smaller pests out of the pens and outbuildings. They also said that this breed of cat seem to be able to predict the weather and other calamities that may occur. The dwarves took to their Mountain home, five cats. The partnership had worked out wonderful for many years, the feline population increasing at a steady pace.
But as Drifa stroked her beard looking at the cat, she knew that a trip to the Vales would be a priority soon. No kittens had been born this year. Kazzo and Frothi were the only two left, and both male.
Turning to see that Alf and Duff had arrived with a new ladder, she walked over to the shaft and called down.

"How goes it Talen?"
ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT

UPDATE

*J I U I H E I*
*D U G N L K W**
*D Y O R B S M*
Aerlinn (Talen) - 109 points
*E I U E O L X*
*Z L W P V A E*

@Androthelm you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: You see the young imposter dwarf (Talen) go down the ladder. Do you follow? Or, you see the cat (Kazzo) and begin to sneeze due to allergies that you were unaware of?
OOC Oh, it will haunt you, Aerlinn. *grin* Wonderful play!

Loremaster of the Herd
There was something off about that dwarf. Sveru couldn't put his finger on it, but... There was something strange. A thief, perhaps? A traitor to the glory of Khazad-Dum? Impossible, surely not. No, Sveru had it -- this dwarf was a spy, probably from a rival mining company. Of course, he didn't know much about Drifa's interpersonal relationships with the other Mine-Overseers, but... No, definitely a spy, looking to steal the runes or make rubbings of them or somesuch treacherous act.

"Fear not, ma'am." said Sveru striding past Drifa and tossing a slab onto the table, "I won't let that one get away with industrial sabotage." It was a baffling thing to say if you had not been following Sveru train of thought.

Crossing the room as quickly as he could, Sveru tugged at the rope and, frowning to find it still attached to Talen in the darkness far below, simply gripped tight with his weathered and and began slowly to repel down the ladder-less shaft.

"Ought'n't there be a ladder here?" asked Sveru as he went, having missed most of the events previously. It was the last thing anyone heard as he disappeared, leaving behind...

Playing "HEW" off the H in HOPE.

HEW = [4+1+4+5 (MEB)] x2 (Double Word) = 28.

"We go, we go, we go to war, to hew the stone and break the door;" - Two Towers, Book I Chapter 4

Khazad Elder
With all the activity going on in the mine, Drifa had neglected to copy the words from the new tablets and store them in chests. And with Sveru going on about industrial sabotage, before he fell down the shaft, one could never be to safe. She actually thought of sending Alf and Duff (who had finally arrived with the ale and the ladder) to the locksmith. A few good locks on the chests would relieve her mind. But before she could do this, she would have them set the ladder up before anyone else fell down the shaft.
Walking towards the shaft and looking down, she could still see the broken ladder. But there was no sign of Talen and Sveru. Turning to her two young helpers, she raised an eyebrow.

"My, how strange." she said. "Where could they have gotten to?' Suddenly, thoughts of sabotage and theft coiled through Drifa's brain like a cold-drake. They must be in cahoots, was all she could think. She really didn't know Talen and Sveru that well.
"Quick! Alf! Duff! Get that ladder set up and lets have a look see at what is going on down that shaft." As she stood back to allow the ladder to be set down in place, she hoped that the two diggers in the mine were not hurt, and that there was a logically explanation to their disappearance.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT HEW

UPDATE

*J I U I H E I*
*D U G N L K W*
*D Y O R B S M*
*E I U E O L X*
Androthelm (Sveru Goldhand) - 52 points
*Z L P V A A N*

Your prompt this round: The ale barrels have finally arrived as well as the new wooden ladder. You drink way to many mugs whilst the new ladder is being set up. You start singing a three line ditty over and over again.

Elven Enchanter
At last the barrels of rich, dark ale had arrived and Dimora found herself relishing in its beauty. The wonderful drink made the time waiting for the new later to pass quite swiftly. However, the ale soon began to go to her head and as she headed down the ladder, a random ditty popped into her head. "Up and down the ladder, go the dwarves at work, riches, riches, riches." Due to the intoxicating effects of the ale, she kept saying the (horribly composed) ditty over and over again as she gathered more tablets down inside the mine. Satisfied with her findings, she once again came up the ladder (this time sober) and handed them over to Drifa.

Playing HE vertically next to the I in ISTARI also making the word HI

HE = [4+1+5MEB] x 3(TWS) = 30
HI = 4 +1 + 10MEB = 15
Total = 45

"He stepped up to the rock again, and lightly touched with his staff the silver star in the middle beneath the sign of the anvil.

Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen!
Fennas nogothrim, lasto beth lammen!

he said in a commanding voice. The silver lines faded, but the blank grey stone did not stir." FOTR, A Journey in the Dark

OOC: (Thanks for the character name! Also, I totally had a stress dream about this game that involved me forgetting to post before the deadline.)

Khazad Elder
Singing her own rendition of the catchy little ditty that she had heard a tippy Dimora sing, Drifa set out the last party platter on the table that Alf and Duff had brought into the cave.
"Up and down the ladder, go the dwarves at work, riches, riches, riches
Oh, up and down the ladder, go the dwarves at work, riches, riches, riches
Oh oh, up and down the ladder, go the dwarves at work, riches, riches, riches, jingling in our britches"
Having descended the shaft to inspect the situation after Dimora's discovery of a tablet in the rock fall, she was astonished to see that the fall had dislodge a large number of tablets. It was free pickings for the diggers and a good time to catch ones breath and enjoy some refreshments. There was still no sign of Talen and Sveru, which had her a bit perplexed. Yet if she would have been more observant down in the mine and not so excited about the dislodged tablets, she would have noticed a small recess big enough for a dwarf to pass through on the far side of the rock fall , relieving her mind and solving their disappearance.
ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT HEW HE

UPDATE

Dimcairien Luiniel (Dimora) - 96 points
*J I U I I N D*
*D U G N L K W*
*D Y O R B S M*
*E I U E O L X*
*Z L P V A A N*

@Lirimaer you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Dimora miraculously found tablets in the rock fall. Upon further investigation, it was brought to the foreperson's attention that the rock fall had dislodged at least four chest loads of tablets. The party was on. Do you keep working diligently or do you enjoy the refreshments and get to know your fellow diggers?

OOC Your welcome Dimcairien! My apologies for such a late update today. *hugs*

Warrior of Imladris
Image Vestri Karkûna

It was terribly hard, trying to find tablets with actual words on them. If random sequenced letters were required, Vestri could bring back a sackful, but it was a hardship trying to find an actual relic. She was quite sure in the dim light that she might have missed a few, but since there was mithril down here too, she'd been somewhat distracted and filled her pockets with the precious metal and all of a sudden it was too tricky to look for particular tablets.

But all this digging was tiring, and no amount of tablets falling and social events were gonna keep her from crawling to the nearest sleeping pallet and dying quietly. OOC (I have such a headache. Look not for me on the morrow.)

I shall play GAUNT horizontally using the A of ISTARI and the T of FATE.

GAUNT = ((2*2) +1 +1 +1 +1 = 8) +5 bonus = 13) *2 = 26

Some of these he found in camp by the seashore; but they did not help the king willingly, for he had nothing to offer them, save a few jewels which they did not value; and they were afraid of the Witch-king, who (they said) could make frost or thaw at his will. But partly out of pity for the gaunt king and his men, and partly out of fear of their weapons, they gave them a little food and built for them snow-huts.
APPENDIX A - ANNALS OF THE KINGS AND RULERS
I The Númenorean Kings - (III) Eriador, Arnor, and The Heirs Of Isildur

Khazad Elder
What a feast, thought Drifa as she bit off a hunk of fresh bread and looked over the contents of the table. "Tea and red wine; bread and raspberry jam; apple-tart, mince-pies and cheese. And pork-pie and salad; and more cakes-and ale-and coffee, a few eggs, cold chicken and pickles!" She hoped that the diggers would take the time to enjoy it all. She did notice Vestri crawl from the shaft with a look of pain upon her face, dropping off her find, and quietly leaving the cave with a low grumble. A good rest was all the dwarf needed. Digging could be a physically challenging activity, especially for young dwarves who have not reached maturity. She would fill a plate for the dwarf and set it aside. The party could go on for days. Maybe Vestri would feel better (I hope you do :smooch: ) before it was all said and done.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT HEW HE GAUNT

UPDATE

*J I U I I N D*
Lirimaer (Vestri Karkûna) - 83 points
*D L K W M E O*
*D Y O R B S M*
*E I U E O L X*
*Z L P V A A N*

@Pele Alarion you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Dimora and Vestri miraculously found tablets in the rock fall. Upon further investigation, it was brought to the foreperson's attention that the rock fall had dislodged at least four chest loads of tablets. The party is on. Do you keep working diligently or do you enjoy the refreshments and get to know your fellow diggers?

High Warden of Tower
Cadil

"Kazzo! That is a lovely name for a kitty," Cadil said, petting the cat that lay calmly in his arms. And then all the calm was gone, as everything seemed to tumble down. He closed his eyes tightly, and held on to the cat for dear life. Luckily not everything had crumbled, he realised, when he heard Drifa's voice addressing him. Opening his eyes again, he mumbled: "I'll... be fine... I think."

He was indeed rather shaken, and it took him a while to catch up with all the goings-on around the shaft and such. But as soon as he heard that there were more tablets to be found, a whole lot, rather, he gathered some courage, let down the cat and prepared to go back to work. He had not managed to bring back out too much, only two small tablets, maybe because he was still too cautious.

~~~~

I'll play ORBS horizontally with O under N of ASGON, also forming NO.

ORBS = 1+1+3+1=6x2 (DW)=12
NO = 1+1=2+5 (MEB) = 7
Total = 19

Quote:
“But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter." - ROTK; The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Khazad Elder
Most were quite serious about the dig and spent little time wasted on food and wine. This was fine with Drifa. More for her to pick at and drink. Thanking Cadil for the tablets and stowing them away, she sat back and loosened her wide belt- not because she overate, but to let the air flow through her jerkin where the leather had made her overheated. She was feeling mellow (after a few flagons of ale) and content (knowing that noone had been hurt in the rock fall). She hummed slowly to herself, then started to sing in a deep voice a dark ditty that she found amusing.
Rattle Big Black Bones
in the Danger zone
there's a rumbling groan
down below
there's a big dark town
it's a place I've found
there's a world going on
UNDERGROUND
they're alive, they're awake
while the rest of the world is asleep
below the mine shaft roads
it will all unfold
there's a world going on
UNDERGROUND
all the roots hang down
swing from town to town
they are marching around
down under your boots
all the 'wagons' unload
beyond the gopher holes
there's a world going on
UNDERGROUND

*Tom Waits, Swordfishtrombones*
ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO

UPDATE

*J I U I I N D*
*D L K W M E O*
Pele Alarion (Cadil) - 113 points
*D Y M B N Y D*
*E I U E O L X*
*Z L P V A A N*

@Aerlinn you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Dimora, Vestri and Cadil, miraculously found tablets in the rock fall. Upon further investigation, it was brought to the foreperson's attention that the rock fall had dislodged at least four chest loads of tablets. The party is on.

- Update from Fri Sept 25 -
There was still no sign of Talen and Sveru, which had her a bit perplexed. Yet if she would have been more observant down in the mine and not so excited about the dislodged tablets, she would have noticed a small recess big enough for a dwarf to pass through on the far side of the rock fall , relieving her mind and solving their disappearance.
Do you relieve Drifa's mind (she is not frantic just so you know) and join the party, or do you stay hidden and hoard the tablets for a last minute advantage to boast most tablets found?

Healer of Imladris
Talen reached the bottom of the shaft and peered around in what light was filtering down from above. It was a mess, but he could make out tiles that had fallen to the ground in the shake. He slipped out of the rope and ventured a little further until he noticed a small opening in the rock fall. It was irresistible.

The boy grabbed one of the wall torches that had blown out in the puff of dust and made his way into the gap, striking flint and steel as he went. I'll just look around for a second, he told himself, before everyone else comes trampling down here. In case something special got shook loose!

The air in the far side of the cave in was still close and dusty, and scattered rocks and pebbles threatened to turn his ankle with every step. But as Talen peered around the newly shorn earth he could make out any number of Drifa's treasured tablets. Some were quite long and more complete than what he had found previously. Unfortunately his poor disguise as a dwarf didn't lend him even poor ability to read dwarvish, the Cirth were as much as chicken scratches to him. Singing echoed through the now distant opening and Talen wavered for a minute. He should really go back and tell them all he had found, but first he wanted to look just a little bit further...

Playing EXILE starting above the A in IOTA, also making EA.

EXILE = [1+8(2 Double Letter)+1+1+1+5(ME Bonus)] = 25 x Triple Word = 75
EA = 1+1 = 2
Total: 77

"Then for the second time Huan spoke with words; and he counselled Beren, saying: 'From the shadow of death you can no longer save Lúthien, for by her love she is now subject to it. You can turn from your fate and lead her into exile, seeking peace in vain while your life lasts. But if you will not deny your doom, then either Lúthien, being forsaken, must assuredly die alone, or she must with you challenge the fate that lies before you--hopeless, yet not certain. Further counsel I cannot give, nor may I go further on your road. But my heart forebodes that what you find at the Gate I shall myself see. All else is dark to me; yet it may be that our three paths lead back to Doriath, and we may meet before the end." (The Silmarillion, Of Beren and Luthien)

Khazad Elder
Drifa snored quite loudly, waking herself up. To much food and drink had put her into a deep sleep. Rising to her feet, she looked about. The mine seemed to be very quiet. Some sleeping, some working, and some diggers no where to be seen. Nodding to Alf and Duff, she said.
'I am off to my rooms to revive myself. Can you two keep your eyes and ears open whilst I am gone, without causing to much mischief? I shan't be long."
She watched as the twain nodded their heads up and down in unison. They appeared a little overenthusiastic, and she prayed that they would not blow the mine up while she was gone.
ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA

UPDATE

*J I U I I N D*
*D L K W M E O*
*D Y M B N Y D*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 186 points
*U O A T U O R *
*Z L P V A A N*

@Androthelm you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Dimora, Vestri and Cadil, miraculously found tablets in the rock fall. Upon further investigation, it was brought to the foreperson's attention that the rock fall had dislodged at least four chest loads of tablets. The party is on.

- Update from Fri Sept 25 -
There was still no sign of Talen and Sveru, which had her a bit perplexed. Yet if she would have been more observant down in the mine and not so excited about the dislodged tablets, she would have noticed a small recess big enough for a dwarf to pass through on the far side of the rock fall , relieving her mind and solving their disappearance.
Do you relieve Drifa's mind (she is not frantic just so you know) and join the party, or do you stay hidden and hoard the tablets for a last minute advantage to boast most tablets found?

OOC Nice play using the triple word, Aerlinn!*

Loremaster of the Herd
Sveru landed at the bottom of the shaft with a thump, releasing the long rope and rubbing his chafed hands together.
"Where are you, spy?" He snarled into the darkness -- and then, some distance ahead, there was a flash of light as Talan struck flint and steel to his torches.
Sveru grinned. "Got you." and stomped forward. He needed no light of his own -- his dwarf-eyes were keen in the dark, the perk of many long years hunting for the rough shimmer of uncut gems. Indeed, Sveru had nearly caught up with the saboteur when his eyes fell on a stack of rune-tablets. He was no linguist, especially not of the endless elven-tongues, but even in the scarce light he recognized the letters -- and a shiver went down Sveru's back.

Playing BAL vertically, beginning with the B in ORBS and continuing down over the double-letter tile.

BAL = ( [3+1+1]+ 10 (TB) ) x2 = 30.

"The original stem was bal, preserved in Sindarin Balan, plural Belain, the Valar, and in Balrog." -The Silmarillion, APPENDIX: Elements in Quenya and Sindarin Names

Khazad Elder
Alf and Duff stood on either side of the shaft. They had two buckets full of thunder-claps. A free standing torch stood between them. The grins below their beards told the story.
"Do you think that made the two (Talen and Sveru) that are still down there, jump and hit their head's on the ceiling?" Alf asked his brother with a chuckle.
"Ha ha!" Duff laughed. "It may have scared the little one with the false beard, but he had a pot on his head, remember?"
Alf lit another thunder-clap from the torch and tossed it down the shaft. A loud boom shook the shaft's new ladder.
"I would be sparking two or three at a time if I was you." Duff good-heartedly advised his cohort. "Drifa could walk in at any time. If she catches us at this, we wont see the bottom of our mugs or any of the dwarf-women's, for months."
Taking his own advise Duff sparked up six thunder claps , three in each hand, and threw them into the shaft. The noise that followed was deafening. Alf chuckled into his beard and began tossing thunder-claps as fast as he could. Smoke began to drift out of the shaft, unbeknownst to the two rascals. And before long, the whole cave was filled with smoke. One could barely discern Drifa's table. The two dwarves, having realized the situation, frantically began to wave their arms in the air in an attempt to clear the smoke. It was no good. The jig was up. Grabbing the torch, the two young dwarves made a hasty exit. They knew all along that they would be in deep trouble with Drifa. Yet it was all part of the game. Now she would have to find them - and Khazad-dûm was a phenomenal hide and seek, place.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA

UPDATE

*J I U I I N D*
*D L K W M E O*
*D Y M B N Y D*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 186 points
*U O A T U O R *
Androthelm (Sveru Goldhand) - 82 points
*Z P V A N C I*

Your prompt this round: Drifa is away. You make your way through the smoke past Alf and Duff who are throwing 'thunder-claps' (firecrackers that make a loud noise) into the shaft. Do you deposit your tablets and let them play, or do you crack under pressure (your tiredness caught up to you) and give them a real good tongue lashing while Drifa is away?

OOC Great round everyone!

Elven Enchanter
Drifa had momentarily stepped out of the room and two young dwarves took it upon themselves to cause some mischief. Dimora had no sooner returned, exhausted, from her most recent escapade down the mine when she saw (or more accurately heard, thanks to all the smoke) Alf and Duff playing with 'thunder-claps'. She thumped the tablets down on the table and turned in what she thought was the direction of the miscreants. "Hey!" she shouted, "Do you want to cause an even bigger tunnel collapse? Cause you will if you keep messing around like that!"

Playing the word DIN horizontally next to QUENT, also making the words QI and UN.

DIN = 2+1+1(x3) + 5 MEB = 11
QI = 10 +1 = 11
UN = 1+1(x3) = 4
Total = 25

"He walked briskly back to his hole, and stood for a moment listening with a smile to the din in the pavilion, and to the sounds of merrymaking in other parts of the field." FOTR: A Long Expected Party

OOC (I know I'm a bit late, but work stuff kind of got away from me today)