Rune Breaker WS RP

And of old it was not darksome, but full of light and splendour, as is still remembered in our songs.
Khazad Elder
OOC The update will be a bit late today. My apologies for any inconveniences this may incur. Thanks!

Khazad Elder

RULES OF WORD SLEUTH
  • The object of the game is to make interlocking words (in a crossword style, across or down) on the board. These words score points
    depending on the letters and their placement on the board. At the end of the game the team with the highest score wins.
  • The players will have a rack of letters that they play from. The starting rack will have 7 letters.
  • The first player sets a word upon the board with one of the tiles on the center square (which is a double word tile). The word is scored and that team receives new tiles to replace the ones they used. Then the second player must create a word (or words) using at least one tile already set on the board and so on and so forth for each player.
  • The players alternate play, receiving new tiles to replace those used. The game continues until one of the players either uses all their tiles or is unable to make a play. Once that happens the round is completed.
  • Words must be placed either horizontally or vertically, reading left to right, or down. Diagonal words are not allowed. Words reading from right to left, or up are not allowed. Words requiring apostrophes or hyphens are not allowed. All words must be found in the Word Sleuth Dictionary , unless quoted from Tolkien's works.
  • When a word is placed on the board any letters they touch in adjacent rows must form complete words. The score includes all words formed or modified during the turn.
New words may be formed by:
Adding one or more letters to a word already on the board.
Placing a word at right angles to a word already on the board, using one of its letters or adding a letter to it.
Placing a complete word parallel to a word already played so that adjacent letters also form complete words.
  • No play will be accepted after the 36-hour deadline has passed. No tile may be shifted or removed after a play is posted. Neither can a play be edited or deleted in an attempt to alter a play. However, if a player wish to clarify an issue, such as adding a source to a quote, or correcting misspellings of words, they may do so in a separate post.
  • You may use a turn to exchange all or some of your letters. If you exchange letters, that is your turn.
Challenge:
If a player thinks a play is invalid, they can ask the Moderator to rule on it and either allow or disallow the play.
Scoring:
Each play will be scored by adding up the tile values of all words formed, adding any applicable ME Bonus, applying the Board Bonuses. Words that use all seven letters will receive an additional Bonus of 50 points.
  • The value of any tiles left in the racks at the end of the game will be deducted from that team’s score. Blank tiles have no score value.
A Middle Earth Bonus:
A bonus of 10 points will be applied to scores for Tolkien words and 5 points for generic words (i.e., words not specific to Tolkien works), played that are supported by a valid quote from the approved list of J.R.R. Tolkien’s writings of fiction:
The Hobbit
The Lord Of The Rings
The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Children Of Húrin
The History of Middle-earth (HoME)
A Tolkien word is defined as: A word not found in the Word Sleuth Dictionary, yet found in Tolkien, or a word that, although found in the Word Sleuth Dictionary, has a unique meaning in Tolkien's works, for example, the word Shire.
In the case of using a quote, it can be no more than 250 words in length, and has to be one single quote. If you play the same word twice in one turn, then the word must be found twice in the quote. For example, if you play AN and AN in one turn, the word AN must feature twice in the quote you provide in order for you to get the bonus for each word.
The Bonus will be added BEFORE any additional increase (Triple Word Scores, etc.) The word being quoted must appear exactly as you have played (i.e. "jumped" cannot be used if you only played "jump").
If you wish to play a Tolkien word, yet a quote on another word in the same play with gain you a higher score, (for example, you play ARAGORN under an E also forming EA, and ARAGORN falls on a TWS, then quoting ARAGORN will obviously get you more points than quoting EA) you may give a separate quote verifying that it exists in a Tolkien book, but obviously you won't score points for it.
  • There is a 36-hour deadline each turn. ( The deadline is subject to change depending on how the game unfolds and the amount of participants)
Posting Format:
For actual plays on the board the following format should be followed, please:
Team A Playing Post
GET vertically with the G at the end of JO so also making JOG and DOPE
GET=2+1+(1*3) = 6+5ME = 16
JOG=8+1+2 = 11
DOPE=2+1+3+1 = 7
Total = 34
Quote:
"That settles it!" said Frodo. "Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones. At all costs we must keep you away from the Golden Perch. We want to get to Bucklebury before dark. What do you say, Sam?" (Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms)
A polite notice: if using a Blank Tile, could you please indicate this when making your play. For example, Team A wish to play EXIT, with the Blank Tile being T. This just makes it easier for our mod. Thanks!
ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN

UPDATE

Dimcairien Luiniel (Dimora) - 121 points
*J I U I S E E*
Lirimaer (Vestri Karkûna) - 83 points
*D L K W M E O*
Pele Alarion (Cadil) - 113 points
*D Y M B N Y D*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 186 points
*U O A T U O R *
Androthelm (Sveru Goldhand) - 82 points
*Z P V A N C I*

@Lirimaer you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Drifa has just returned and can hear Dimora shouting at someone, but in the smoke she can not see who it is (Alf and Duff run by her with out her knowing). As you make your way into the cave you spot them. Do you tackle them down and hand them over to Drifa, or do you let them go, figuring boys will be boys, or in this case dwarves?
Last edited by Drifa on Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warrior of Imladris
Image Vestri Karkûna

Vestri had woken up in a sweet sweet bundle of furs in front of a fire, several bottles of Dorwinion wine scattered around her, but fully dressed. She was delighted; she hadn't been irresponsible and giddy for an age, and it seemed that the advent of this new shaft was bringing her misspent youth back in glorious technicolor. She ignored the dull ache of her head and gnawed ruminatively on a ham bone as she ate her eggs and bacon breakfast. Today she was going mining. And this time she was going to be better at it.

In a short time, she was stomping through the tunnels when two harum scarum nitwits charged toward her, clearly intent on passing her on either side, with nary a gesture of respect or consideration for the hangover she was nursing. With barely a movement of her pick and hammer, two loud Ooofs preceded the soft flops of bodies onto the floor. She grabbed them both by the scruff of their necks and eyed them beadily.

"I recognise your stink," she growled. "Whatcha runnin' away for? Back to Drifa with you!" and so saying marched the pair back to Drifa for judgment. Clearly they'd done something to warrant a hasty exit, and if she knew young Dwarves, there was an angry old Dwarfette enjoying herself mightily in the near future.

I shall play MEL horizontally with the M under the B of BAL also creating BALM.

MEL = ((3 + 1 + 1) + 10ME bonus)*3 = 45
BALM = 3 + 1 + 1 + 3 = 8
Total = 53

mel- 'love' in Melian (from Melyanna 'dear gift'); this stem is seen also in the Sindarin word mellon 'friend' in the inscription on the West-gate of Moria.
~ APPENDIX, Elements in Quenya and Sindarin Names
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Khazad Elder
Drifa watched on as Alf and Duff sat at her table painstakingly writing over and over, I WILL NOT SEE THE BOTTOM OF AN ALE MUG OR A DWARF-WOMEN FOR A LONG TIME. The rolls she had them writing it on were several meters long. It would keep them busy and in her sights (well the best one can in the smoke that still lingered in the mine) till the end of the dig. Which, was soon to be ending. This was a good time for the miners to find any size of tablet and the more the better.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM

UPDATE

*J I U I S E E*
Lirimaer (Vestri Karkûna) - 136 points
*D K W O G R I*
Pele Alarion (Cadil) - 113 points
*D Y M B N Y D*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 186 points
*U O A T U O R *
*Z P V A N C I*

@Pele you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Although the chamber is still filled with thunder-clap smoke, the digging must go on. Time is ticking down. The dig will come to an end soon. How many tablets can you find, this round?

High Warden of Tower
Cadil

He found the digging to be ever more difficult: no matter how hard he tried to cover his nose and mouth, the dust still reached him and made him sneeze and cough, besides his back and shoulders hurt from all the bending and digging, and scratching. The mines were definitely not built for Gondorians, and yet he was stubborn and would not give up before the search was called to a stop. Anyhow, from among all the rubble and dust he managed to recover some sort of tablet. Running his hand over it to see the letters he could not read, Cadil brought it out and presented it to Drifa.

"It is hard to see anything and..."
he sneezed mightily, tickled by the dust, and turned away just in time not to cover the Dwarf with his sneezes. "But found something."

BIND vertically, using I of EXILE

BIND = 3(x2)+1+1(x2) = 11+5 (MEB) = 16

Quote: "One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them"
FOTR, The Shadow of the Past

Khazad Elder
Drifa had tied a scarf around her nose and mouth to eliminate the smoke (dust) from entering. As Cadil dropped off his tablet, with a sneeze , she was glad she had done so. The Gondorian still looked stooped and tired. Drifa felt for him. Walking past Alf and Duff (who were still busy writing lines) she drew a full mug of cool ale and brought it over to Cadil.
"Here, enjoy this," she said. "You deserve it. We are grateful that you joined us on this expedition. It was very brave of you to join, you know, with your height and all," she said this lastly with a grin upon her lips.
ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM BIND

UPDATE

*J I U I S E E*
*D K W O G R I*
Pele Alarion (Cadil) - 129 points
*Y M Y D T*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 186 points
*U O A T U O R *
*Z P V A N C I*

@Aerlinn you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Although the chamber is still filled with thunder-clap smoke, and Cadil has the sneezes, the digging must go on. Time is ticking down. The dig will come to an end soon. How many tablets can you find, this round?

OOC There are no more letters in the small leather pouch!! This is it folks! Make you plays count! The value of any tiles left on the racks at the end of the game will be deducted from that participant’s score.

Healer of Imladris
Talen had barely registered the noise of heavy boots stomping towards him when there came a series of earth-shaking booms. He swore and scrambled away from the wall, instinctively searching for open ground but, of course, that was a long way off. A few streams of dirt and small stones skittered down the walls. This was madness! he thought, and in a fit of pique ripped off the remains of the beard that was still clinging tenaciously to his chin. He wasn't a dwarf! He didn't even understand what they were digging for! Where was the gold?

"Blasted barmy thing to do," he muttered as he began to make his way back to the main chamber with his last few discoveries. "Traipsing around with an entire mountain set to fall down on your head. Can't fight off a mountain with an ax! And for what?"

Playing STAR down from the S in ORBS, also making AT and LA.

STAR = [1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 5 (ME Bonus)] x Double Word = 18
AT = 1 + 1 = 2
LA = (1 + 1) x Double Word = 4
Total = 24

'Hail Eärendil, of mariners most renowned, the looked for that cometh at unawares, the longed for that cometh beyond hope! Hail Eärendil, bearer of light before the Sun and Moon! Splendour of the Children of Earth, star in the darkness, jewel in the sunset, radiant in the morning!' (The Silmarillion, Of the Voyage of Eärendil and the War of Wrath)

Warrior of Imladris
You also have at in that quote .... +5 😉
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Healer of Imladris
Oh! Er, total of 29, if I may? :grin: But if it doesn't count that's okay too. Thanks @Lirimaer!
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

Warrior of Imladris
:smooch:

Khazad Elder
Alf and Duff were complaining as only Dwarves can. Their hands were cramping from using the etching tools. But Drifa wasn't letting up on them. They would just have to work around the cramps.
As Talen ascended the shaft, Drifa noticed that he had only a few fake whiskers clinging to his chin. He seemed quite perturbed. As he was dropping off his tablets, she made her way over to the table with the food platters, hiding the grin that formed upon her lips. She made a plate up for the young Hobbit, then walking towards him she bowed low and presented it to him.
" The end is near and you shall be reward, do not worry. Please except this as a small partial payment for all your hard work."
On the plate there was a hard boiled egg sliced in two, reveling it's golden center; a yellow corn biscuit with yellow butter and golden honey; two slices of bacon; and special gold capped mushrooms that the Dwarves had discovered in a dark cave, which were quite safe to eat and delicious.
'Ai, this might not be the gold you were looking for, but it is the best gold we can offer you at the moment. Enjoy!"

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM BIND LOA NO DA

UPDATE

*J I U I S E E*
*D K W O G R I*
*Y M Y D T*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 213 points
*U O U T R *
*Z P V A N C I*

@Androthelm you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Although the smoke in the chamber from the thunder-clap's has dissipated somewhat, and that Cadil still has the sneezes, and Talen has finally come out to the Hobbit Closet (such excitement :googly: ), the digging must go on. Time is ticking down. The dig will come to an end soon. How many tablets can you find, this round?

OOC There are no more letters in the small leather pouch!! This is it folks! Make you plays count! The value of any tiles left on the racks at the end of the game will be deducted from that participant’s score.
Last edited by Drifa on Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Khazad Elder
OOC UPDATE

For some reason I forgot to update the game board last round or the round before, I should say. You will not be able to played STAR, @Yávië . Please except my apologies. You may just make a new game play, without the RP. Thank you!

@Androthelm can you please wait until @Yávië has made her new play. Thank you!

Loremaster of the Herd
OOC: All good! Saw the double notification and got worries that I'd missed my turn :lol:
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Khazad Elder
OOC UPDATE

For some reason I forgot to update the game board last round or the round before. You will not be able to played STAR, @Yávië . Please except my apologies. You may just make a new game play, without the RP. Thank you!

Healer of Imladris
Ahaha! No worries @Tyrion Lannister, it happens. Let's try...

LOA, down from the L in EXILE, also making NO and DA.

LOA = 1 + 1 + 3 (Triple Letter) + 10 (ME Bonus) = 15
NO = 1 + 1 + 5 (ME Bonus) = 7
DA = 2 + 3 (Triple Letter) = 5
Total = 27

"In Middle-earth the Eldar also observed a short period or solar year, called a coranar or 'sun-round' when considered more or less astronomically, but usually called loa ' growth' (especially in the north-western lands) when the seasonal changes in vegetation were primarily considered, as was usual with the Elves generally. The loa was broken up in periods that might be regarded either as long months or short seasons. These no doubt varied in different regions; but the Hobbits only provide information concerning the Calendar of Imladris." (The Return of the King, Appendix D)

Khazad Elder
Thank you @Yávië ! :smooch:

@Androthelm , you have 36 hours starting from this post. Good luck!

Loremaster of the Herd
(OOC: Hi -- I just remembered that I had been tagged here. Unfortunately I an incredibly busy this week with research and I don't entirely have my head in the right spot for this game -- really sorry to have to tag out so late along)
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Khazad Elder
Drifa bowed low to Sveru Goldhand! "It was a pleasure mining with you! Maybe someday we will meet again. Take care good dwarf!"
Alf and Duff had finished their lines and were sent off to clean dust from the Ankixogs halls. The weather outside the mountain had changed since the dig had begun. The leaves were falling on the ground. Hopefully the miners would get a chance to see the brilliant colors before all the leaves were gone.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM BIND LOA NO DA

UPDATE

*J I U I S E E*
*D K W O G R I*
*Y M Y D T*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 213 points
*U O U T R *
Androthelm (Sveru Goldhand) - 59 points FINAL SCORE
*Z P V A N C I*

@Dimcairien Luiniel you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Although the smoke in the chamber from the thunder-clap's has dissipated somewhat, and Cadil still has the sneezes, Talen has finally come out to the Hobbit Closet (such excitement :googly: ), and Sveru Goldhand has left the mines , the digging must go on. Time is ticking down. The dig will come to an end soon. How many tablets can you find, this round?

Elven Enchanter
The dig was coming to a close and Dimora was getting tired. She couldn't wait to put her feet up and enjoy a long cuppa, without having to deal with any ridiculous young dwarves. The smoke from the thunder-claps had finally more or less disappeared, but the remnants of it were still around. One of the miners had to beg leave early and Dimora gave him curt nod as he exited, hoping that all was well for him. At last she was able to bring forth another tablet and hand it to Drifa, hoping that it was a worthwhile one. It was getting harder and harder to find them.

Playing the word JEU vertically with the U next to the D in DIN also making the word DU

JEU = 8+1+1=10 x 2 (DWS) = 20
DU = 2+1+10MEB = 13
TOTAL = 33

"du - 'night, dimness' in Delduwath, Ephel Duath. Derived from earlier dome, whence Quenya lome; thus Sindarin dulin 'nightingale' corresponds to lomelinde." Silmarillion, Appendix

Khazad Elder
Puff, the magic dragon, lived by the sea
And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honalee.
Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff
And brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff,
Oh Puff, the magic dragon, lived by the sea

Together they would travel on boat with billowed sail
Jackie kept a lookout perched on Puff's gigantic tail
Noble kings and princes would bow whene'er they came
Pirate ships would lower their flags when Puff roared out his name, oh

A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys
Painted wings and giants' rings make way for other toys.
One grey night it happened, Jackie Paper came no more
And Puff that mighty dragon, he ceased his fearless roar.

His head was bent in sorrow, green scales fell like rain
Puff no longer went to play along the cherry lane.
Without his lifelong friend, Puff could not be brave
So, Puff that mighty dragon sadly slipped into his cave, oh

*by Peter Yarrow*

Drifa stopped singing and looked around sheepishly. Not sure how or why that song had popped into her head or where she had ever heard it before, she sure didn't wont her kin to hear her singing so lovingly about a dragon. Most dwarves abhorred dragons and all dragon kind. Unless of course, a dwarf found a whelp in a roost and raised it - making sure that it never attempted to burn off a dwarf's beard. But that was another ridiculous notion, just like the unknown song that had popped into her head.
Dimora looked beat as she dropped off her tables. Drifa bowed low to her then said.
"Ai, it will soon be over. Your work here is much appreciated. I truly hope that in the future we will met again in the vastness of Khazad-dûm or in other places in Middle-earth. You make a good dwarf, Dimora.
ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM BIND LOA NO DA JEU DU

UPDATE

Dimcairien Luiniel (Dimora) - 154 points
* I I S E*
*D K W O G R I*
*Y M Y D T*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 213 points
*U O U T R *
*Z P V A N C I*

Your prompt this round: Although the smoke in the chamber from the thunder-clap's has dissipated somewhat, Cadil still has the sneezes, Talen has finally come out to the Hobbit Closet (such excitement :googly: ), Sveru Goldhand has left the mine, and Dimora is dead tired, the digging must go on. Time is ticking down. The dig will come to an end soon. How many tablets can you find, this round?

Warrior of Imladris
Image Vestri Karkûna

Vestri was feeling energised and productive today. So far she had chipped 3 of her finest axes, and would need to work on them to bring them back to their former glory, which she found calming, so it was like a little treat to get to after this rather difficult work was over. Luckily she had seen the edge of a tablet a few days ago and after much careful excavation, had brought it out unmarred. Another fell with it, and so she took both to the collector of such objects, who was evidently feeling so emotional and covetous with her mighty hoard that she had taken to singing songs in favour of the fire-drakes of Angband. As if they were friendly. Clearly the woman was going a little stir-crazy, Vestri thought charitably. Perhaps some more words might help.

On the way she sang her own words and finished the song:

Though dragon tears deceive you, malice will shine through
For later still it flew right back - burned the boy, 'tis true
A dragon cannot suppress hatred or spite
And grief in rude rejection sent it into vengeful flight, oh

Thus the mighty dragon, lived so lonely
And refused to be comforted in a land called Honalee.

I shall play WORLD horizontally using the L of BALM, also creating the word DE using the E of MEL

WORLD = ((4*3) + 1 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 17 + 5 bonus = 22) *2 = 44
DE = (2 + 1) *2 = 6
Total = 50

Quote:
Therefore I say: Eä! Let these things Be! And I will send forth into the Void the Flame Imperishable, and it shall be at the heart of the World, and the World shall Be; and those of you that will may go down into it.
~ The Sil: Ainulindalë

Khazad Elder
Drifa listen to Vestri sing and was quite pleased by the ending of the song. Now that is what one would expect from a dwarf. Even one with little beard on their chin.
"Thank you for the tablets, Vestri! I enjoyed your song ending very much. Maybe we will hear another from you before the digging is through? Also, I would like to thank you for all your hard work during this dig. It was a pleasure meeting you!" The old dwarf bowed low to her younger kin.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM BIND LOA NO DA JEU DU WORLD DE

UPDATE

* I I S E*
Lirimaer (Vestri Karkûna) - 186 points
* K G I*
*Y M Y D T*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 213 points
*U O U T R *
*Z P V A N C I*

@Pele Alarion you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Although the smoke in the chamber from the thunder-clap's has dissipated somewhat, Cadil still has the sneezes, Talen has finally come out to the Hobbit Closet (such excitement :googly: ), Sveru Goldhand has left the mine, Dimora is dead tired, and Vestri can sing a mean tune, the digging must go on. Time is ticking down. The dig will come to an end soon. How many tablets can you find, this round?

High Warden of Tower
Cadil was very happy to sip the cool ale, and it seemed to give him some more new strength to go back to work. He dug away heartily, and yet all his effort provided only one single tablet. With an indignant huff, he returned to Drifa and presented his findings. "Well, it seems that at the location I work in there's not that much to find," he stated, as he set the tablet down.

~~~~~

I will play DAY horizontally, using DA:

DAY = 2+1+4 = 7 +5 (MEB) = 12
Total = 12

Quote: "And so Merry was sent to Faramir, and while that day lasted they talked long together, and Faramir learned much, more even than Merry put into words; and he thought that he understood now something of the grief and unrest of Éowyn of Rohan." - ROTK, The Steward and the King

Khazad Elder
Drifa thanked Cadil for the tablet and placed it in the chest. She then took a key that hung around her neck on a silver chain, and locked it up. The Stonecaps (Runebreaker porters) had arrived. They would be carrying the heavy chests of tablets to the Runebreaker's halls. The Runebreakers were a group of dwarves who dealt in Dwarven antiquities. They would be the ones who would solve the puzzle of the the tablets and what the runes meant. Maybe someday Drifa would finally find out what the message was that her forefathers had left in the mine. But for now she watched the robust dwarves carry the chests away. Soon there would be only two empty chests left for the last tablets to be placed in before the dig came to an end or no more tablets could be found.
ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM BIND LOA NO DA JEU DU WORLD DE DAY

UPDATE

* I I S E*
* K G I*
Pele Alarion (Cadil) - 141 points
*Y M D T*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 213 points
*U O U T R *
*Z P V A N C I*

@Yávië you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: Although the smoke in the chamber from the thunder-clap's has dissipated somewhat, Cadil still has the sneezes, Talen has finally come out to the Hobbit Closet (such excitement :googly: ), Sveru Goldhand has left the mine, Dimora is dead tired, Vestri can sing a mean tune, while Cadil seems to be getting use to the digging (less complaining about his sore back), the digging must go on. Time is ticking down. The dig will come to an end soon. How many tablets can you find, this round?

Healer of Imladris
Food! Now that was something Talen could get behind. What an odd adventure this had been, but he had some new experiences under his belt now and few more tales on hand that would surely grow and expand with each retelling. He could already imagine himself regaling a group of stable boys with the account of how a great rockfall had missed him by scant inches as he dived out of the way! And then trapped away from the main mining party he had dug his way through the cave-in with nothing but...

But no, no, he was getting ahead of himself. He still had a few tablets wedged in his belt and his dust-covered pack. Despite his previous, and loudly spoken, disappointment at their findings he took a minute to exam the strange characters. Perhaps they told of great battles! Or dragons! Or perhaps...perhaps they told of secret treasures. He did rather wish he knew what they meant.

Playing TUOR with the O over the W in WORLD, also making OW and NORO ("...noro lim, noro lim, Asfaloth!").

TUOR = 1 + 1(Double Letter) + 1 + 1 + 10 ME Bonus = 15
OW = 1 + 4 = 5
NORO = 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4
Total = 24

"In those days Tuor felt old age creep upon him, and ever a longing for the deeps of the Sea grew stronger in his heart. Therefore he built a great ship, and he named it Eärrámë, which is Sea-Wing; and with Idril Celebrindal he set sail into the sunset and the West, and came no more into any tale or song. But in after days it was sung that Tuor alone of mortal Men was numbered among the elder race, and was joined with the Noldor, whom he loved; and his fate is sundered from the fate of Men." (The Silmarillion, Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin)

Khazad Elder
Talan had the look of someone with a head full of tales to tell. That pleased Drifa. Adventures were always good. And this particular one had had a few good tales behind it, albeit some more so than others. As Talan dropped off his tablets and dove into the food, Drifa made her way down the shaft. Standing before the now depleted rockfall, she could see that it would not be long before the mine sweepers arrived to cleanup the dig site. And who knew how many tablets were still buried on the other side of the rockfall, that had not be excavated thoroughly before the fall. That would be another adventure for another time.

As she turned to make her way up the ladder, she suddenly felt the hairs on the back of her arms rise. A fear overtook her and she was almost to afraid to look behind her. Climbing the ladder double quick, just about to reach the top. she looked back down the shaft. What she saw made her literally jumped over the last few rungs of the ladder to the floor above. Turning to Talan and the others, her face pale with fright she cried out.
"The Bald Dwarf is in the mine! Run!!"

The Infamous Bald Dwarf:
"But they were made from their beginning of a kind to resist most steadfastly any domination. Though they could be slain or broken, they could not be reduced to shadows enslaved to another will"
So it is said. No one remembers his name. Broken, having been tortured and scalped by the cruel hands of First Age orcs, then left to die, the Bald Dwarf's ghost seeks revenge. His hatred for anyone, kin alike, dominates his every thought, along with the scalping of heads. His apparition hides a bloodied ax behind its back - the sound of blood drops blip blip blip and rasping breath. Alas, his deception falls short, for all can see the bloodied axe and the blood that drips from the blade. A phantom he is, yet not so the ax.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM BIND LOA NO DA JEU DU WORLD DE DAY TOUR OW NORO

UPDATE

* I I S E*
* K G I*
*Y M D T*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 237 points
*U *
*Z P V A N C I*

@Dimcairien Luiniel you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: What is your reaction upon seeing the Bald Dwarf? :grin:

Elven Enchanter
Was her mind playing tricks on her? Some weird, ghostly thing had appeared just as she was bringing up a handful of tablets. The pickings had been slim lately and she knew that the dig was nearly at an end, much to her relief. The being itself was not real, she could tell with how he interacted with the stones, but the axe he held in his hands was real. Dimora found herself quickly getting out of the mine, hopefully avoiding the creature catching sight of her. "There's some strange ghost down there," she said with a shudder as she presented the tablets to Drifa, "and it's got a real axe."

Playing TIS under the T in TUOR

TIS = 1+1+1 +5MEB = 8 x 3TWS = 24

"When winter first begins to bite and stones crack in the frosty night, when pools are black and trees are bare, ’tis evil in the Wild to fare." FotR, The Ring Goes South

Khazad Elder
Drifa ran from the mine, leaving everything and everyone behind. There were few things that a dwarf ran from. Yet legend told that no brave dwarf could stand up to the Bald Dwarf and his sharp ax. Only time and boredom drove the phantom away. And so, the dwarves hid.
As she made her way through the galleries of Khazad-dûm, a sudden fog began to drift into the Mountain's halls. Drifa could not remember this happening before. A new trick from the Bald Dwarf, it would appear. Yet, maybe it would help the occupants in the Mountain to conceal themselves, though, the best thing to do was run from the Mountain as far as one could and hide and wait.
A glint in the fog caught the corner of her eye. Was that the wall scone's reflecting on an artifact? Or the edge of the Bald Dwarf's ax!? Shivers made the old dwarf's beard stand straight out on it's end as she turned and kept on running - the fog getting denser as she went.

The Infamous Bald Dwarf:
"But they were made from their beginning of a kind to resist most steadfastly any domination. Though they could be slain or broken, they could not be reduced to shadows enslaved to another will"
So it is said. No one remembers his name. Broken, having been tortured and scalped by the cruel hands of First Age orcs, then left to die, the Bald Dwarf's ghost seeks revenge. His hatred for anyone, kin alike, dominates his every thought, along with the scalping of heads. His apparition hides a bloodied ax behind its back - the sound of blood drops blip blip blip and rasping breath. Alas, his deception falls short, for all can see the bloodied axe and the blood that drips from the blade. A phantom he is, yet not so the ax.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM BIND LOA NO DA JEU DU WORLD DE DAY TOUR OW NORO TIS

UPDATE

* I E*
* K G I*
*Y M D T*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 237 points
*U *
*Z P V A N C I*

Your prompt this round: What is your reaction upon seeing the Bald Dwarf; Drifa running from the mine leaving everything/one behind; and the sudden fog that has drifted into Khazad-dûm ? :grin:

Warrior of Imladris
Image Vestri Karkûna

The work was become ever so fiddly now, and harder to find runes that made any sense at all. She had a K and a G, but could not see that they had broken from a keg (most probably, considering the dwarves). No doubt it had been split in time past, when a sad and thirsty Dwarf with no keg of his own smashed the rune into separate pieces out of pique. Of course, the sight of Drifa's stubby legs doing nine to the dozen out of the door as a ghostly spectre hung around ... was disconcerting.

Mostly Vestri was wondering what to do with her tablets though, so she left them on the table and skirted her way out of the mine, trying not to attract the attention of incorporeal baldicoots.

I shall play AI horizontally using the A of BALM, also creating SIDE vertically using the S of ORBS, D of WORLD and E of MEL.

AI = 1+1 = 2 + 10 MEbonus = 12
SIDE = 1+1+2+1 = 5
Total = 17

When he saw Strider, he dismounted and ran to meet him calling out: Ai na vedui Dúnadan! Maegovannen! His speech and clear ringing voice left no doubt in their hearts: the rider was of the Elven-folk. No others that dwelt in the wide world had voices so fair to hear.
~ Flight to the Ford, Fellowship of the Ring

Khazad Elder
Drifa took a daring moment to turn and look behind her. Although the fog was getting thicker, she could make out Vestri Karkûna running from the dig site. The young dwarf did not appear to concerned, skirting about, trying not to draw attention to herself. This may be a better tactic than running full blast down the long halls and corridors. Yet, sometimes fear took over sensibility, and the adrenaline just pumped into ones brain like a red haze. She hoped that Vestri believed that the phantoms' ax could kill, and that it was not just an old dwarf tale. Slowing down her pace somewhat, the old dwarf kept moving. She could feel the whole Mountain on the move now. Word had gotten out. Now, if only her kin and all others in the Mountain, could make it out alive.

The Infamous Bald Dwarf:

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM BIND LOA NO DA JEU DU WORLD DE DAY TOUR OW NORO TIS AI SIDE

UPDATE

* I E*
Lirimaer (Vestri Karkûna) - 193 points
* K G*
*Y M D T*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 237 points
*U *
*Z P V A N C I*

@Pele Alarion you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: What is your reaction upon seeing the Bald Dwarf; Drifa running from the mine leaving everything/one behind; and the sudden fog that has drifted into Khazad-dûm ? :grin:

High Warden of Tower
Cadil

He was just returning with his latest find when all the commotion took place. "A what? Bald Dwarf?" he questioned and looked at the backs of escaping co-workers. Driven by curiosity, he approached the shaft and glanced down to see exactly what it meant. "A.... ghost?" he barely managed to breathe as he stared at the approaching figure and the bloodied axe.

Eventually he turned around and hastened to make his escape. The fog soon enveloped him, and he could only wonder whether the ghost was following him, as he could not see much. Yet he did not let go of the tablet he had found, as he desperately hoped to find the correct way out of the mines.
~~~~~
I'll play DYE vertically using E of HEW.
DYE = 2+4+1 = 7
Total = 7

Khazad Elder
She heard someone scream then someone else. Had that bald demon cut someone already? Drifa let her instincts carry her along the gloomy yet well known passageways of the Mountain's halls. She felt helpless without any kind of weapon, although, she knew none would hurt the Bald Dwarf. But, it may distract him. Or was she being ridiculous. She had to get out, there was no stopping him. But just maybe. She decided to make her way towards the smithies halls. There was no one left in the shop, but she found what she was looking for. A long handled double bladed ax that fit nicely into her hands.
Taking the right turn, towards the East Gates, she began her escape once more, holding the ax out in front of her in readiness. She heard other dwarves calling out, but did not bother to answer. Running down a long hall, she was about to turn a corner when she felt compelled to look behind. There at the end of the hall stood the Bald Dwarf. But he didn't appear to be so bald anymore. Drifa was almost sick as she gazed upon the ghost with the scalps stuck to it's head, her kin's hair bloody and red - tearing her eyes away, she ran yelling as loud as a frighten dwarf can.
"The Bald Dwarf is in the mine! The Bald Dwarf has scalped our kin! There is no stopping him! Run for your lives!!"

The Infamous Bald Dwarf:

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM BIND LOA NO DA JEU DU WORLD DE DAY TOUR OW NORO TIS AI SIDE

UPDATE

* I E*
Lirimaer (Vestri Karkûna) - 193 points
* K G*
Pele Alarion (Cadil) - 148 points
*M T*
Aerlinn (Talen)
- 237 points
*U *
*Z P V A N C I*

@Yávië you have 36 hours to make your next play. Good luck!
Your prompt this round: What is your reaction upon seeing the Bald Dwarf; Drifa, Dimora, Vestri and Cadil,running from the mine leaving everything/one behind; and the sudden fog that has drifted into Khazad-dûm ? :grin:

Healer of Imladris
"What the whaty what what!??" Talen yelped when he finally looked up from his food to see what all the fuss was about. The others were already sprinting away and facing him was a translucent bearded...thing...covered in bloody hair and carrying a very opaque ax. He could hear Drifa's frantic shouts from somewhere in the mountain's halls, but they somehow seemed very small in comparison to the ghost's ragged breathing.

Wait, why is a ghost breathing? the boy had time to think, and then the apparition made a sudden rush at him. He threw his plate at its head, and dashed off after the others without stopping to see if the crockery had any effect.

"Yaaaaaaaah!"

I suppose I'll finish off with DU, played off the D in DYE.

DU = 2 + 1 + 10 ME Bonus = 13

dú 'night, dimness' in Deldúwath, Ephel Dúath. Derived from earlier dömë, whence Quenya lómë; thus Sindarin dúlin 'nightingale' corresponds to lómelindë. (The Silmarillion, Elements in Quenya and Sindarin Names[/i])

Warrior of Imladris
Well, I take my hat off to you, @Yávië! A thoroughly resounding victory! :clap: You may have 7 of my points from an unused K and G!

I did enjoy this game, madame scorekeeper Drifa! The pace worked out nicely in my favour, with almost every turn on a Friday/Saturday! :lol:

Khazad Elder
The echoes of falling dwarf boots was now all that could be heard in the Mountain's halls - and one last scream that pierced the air, then all was silent. Most scalped dwarves were rescued by their fellow dwarves and carried from the Mountain. In time they would be 'honored in memory and to this day a Dwarf will say proudly of one of his sires: 'he was a scalped Dwarf', and that is enough.'
The Bald Dwarf had found a few choice scalps and would haunt the Mountain for a time, but soon he would grow bored and wisp away to another place and begin his hauntings once more.

ERELAS IOTA AI SO SCOFFER AIR ASGON EA AIRS FATE VAL- ISTARI HOPE QUENT TI HEW HE HI GAUNT ORBS NO EXILE EA DIN QI UN MEL BALM BIND LOA NO DA JEU DU WORLD DE DAY TOUR OW NORO TIS AI SIDE DU

FINAL UPDATE

Dimcairien Luiniel (Dimora) - 152 points FINAL SCORE
* I E*
Lirimaer (Vestri Karkûna) - 186 points FINAL SCORE
*K G*
Pele Alarion (Cadil) - 144 points FINAL SCORE
*M T*
(Talen) - 259 points FINAL SCORE
*Z P V A N C I*

Congratulations@Yávië on winning the first NuPlaza WSRP!
It was a good match! Thank you all for participating, @Dimcairien Luiniel @Lirimaer @Pele Alarion @Androthelm . It was longer than I thought it would be, but still fun. I hope you had fun! I kind of got carried away at times, but I enjoyed it. I have a wonderful idea for the next WSRP. Maybe I will see some of you there! Thanks for playing.

Healer of Imladris
Heheh, I had luck on my side in the first half but I was keeping my eye on you @Lirimaer. *g*

Thanks for the game and the shinies @Tyrion Lannister, and all your work not just with the board but setting up the RP! I didn't mind the length--this number of players and about 36-48 hours each (with updates) felt like it didn't drag but I still had plenty of time to do other Plaza things in between plays. I will hopefully be back for the next round to defend my title. :grin:

High Warden of Tower
It was definitely fun and enjoyable! Thanks for running the thread, @Tyrion Lannister!

Elven Enchanter
@Yávië Nice work! You left us all in the dust with that 7 letter bonus.

It was fun playing with you all.