Who Would You Be? [all please]

For Fangorn is old, old even as the Elves would reckon it.
Arien
Arien
courtesy of who else, Narv

Time to try something new! This is an invitation to sign up for a plaza-wide RPG, utilizing canon characters, canon-adjacent characters, and characters of your own- or any mixture of the three! Although we hope it’s going to be a fairly large RPG we aren’t aiming for long, complex posts every time, or for people worry about being perfectly canon with their character(s). We’re looking to play a bit around some untold history, explore some characters that don't get a lot of stage time on the plaza, and have some fun! We also hope everyone will get the chance to RP a Tolkien character during this.

In the hope of making things fair (and snappy), dependent on sign ups, we will experiment with using a rotating cast.

How will it work?

We’ll ask you to sign up for up to FOUR CANON CHARACTERS, and to rank them in your order of preference. For example:

1. Gandalf
2. Galadriel
3. Aragorn
4. Butterbur

Please don’t be put off if someone else has also picked your favourite characters! Please state which your own preferences are. We will use as fair a method as we can to ensure everyone gets to play a chosen character.

The GM will then assign roles for each prompt. Each prompt will cover a certain segment of the story, and have a deadline by which you will need to post.

We expect that most players will keep the same roles for several prompts consecutively, to give you a chance for continuity and explore the character, but if a player is unavailable due to planned absence or just doesn’t hit the prompt deadline, the role will be offered to someone else who’s picked that character. If you miss a prompt and your character is handed off to the next person, you will be offered the opportunity to jump back in for the next prompt. This means it doesn’t have to be a big commitment if you don’t want it to be.

As the plot moves along, the thread may move from forum to forum to follow its geographic location! I’ve just started the sign up in Fangorn at random.

WHAT WILL THE PLOT BE?

That rather depends on you. Rather than announcing the plot ahead of time, we are going to ask you to choose any canon characters who are alive in Middle Earth between the time of the Hobbit and the beginning of the LotR.

You may also choose canon-adjacent characters, for example Gloin's wife, a son of Beorn, etc. These canon adjacent characters should be listed in your signup post, but not as part of your four canon choices.

Based on the characters everyone has chosen, we will finalize the plot! There is no need to list your your personal characters- the plot will not be based on them and of course your own characters can't be assigned to anyone else!

Once the plot is decided, we'll share an outline so that everyone has an idea of where we're headed, and about how long it's going to take/how many prompts there will be.

SPECTATORS, PASSERS BY, PEOPLE WHO CLICKED INTO THIS THREAD BY ACCIDENT

Even if you don't want to RP, you can participate by helping us decide what the plot will be! What four canon characters would you like most to see in an RP, even if you aren't playing? Anyone may list four choices, just please indicate in your post if you don't intend to play. And as the RP goes along, if you change your mind, there may be chances to jump in... or we might just save the info for our own, thoroughly wholesome and not at all nefarious purposes.

POTENTIAL SUGGESTED CHARACTERS but don’t just stick to these
Gandalf, Saruman, Aragorn, Gollum, Sauron, Galadriel, Denethor, Elrond, Thranduil, Legolas... and anyone else you can think of who would be alive in Middle Earth between the Hobbit and LotR!

This is a new idea being run by Sil and Moriel. Please post here to sign up or with any questions for us! We don't promise answers as we don't have them all yet but we'll do our best.

Rough form for sign ups but by all means freestyle

• Do you wish to RP? Yes/no
• Your four favoured canon characters IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE
• Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them
• Any other cool ideas you have
• Commentary on Narv’s art piece

Thanks all!
(election results should not affect the RPG)
cave anserem

High Lord of Imladris
Do you wish to RP? Yes
Your four favoured canon characters IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE
Elrond
Glorfindel
Thranduil
Legolas

Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them
Fuin she's my main character and has been around since before the first age but has lived in Rivendell since its founding.

Any other cool ideas you have
Three raccoons cameos -tolkien has a fox show up so raccoons would work though they'd be less shenanigans ish than normal.
Commentary on Narv’s art piece: spectacular

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Great, another RP I'm going to have to be in :lol:

Do you wish to RP? Yes
Your four favoured canon characters IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE
1. Butterbur (probably the easiest because he’s the most relatable to my life :lol:)
2. Denethor
3. Mayor Moneybags (If you couldn’t tell, I like the corrupt politicians sort)
4. Ted Sandyman (would allow me to live out the guilty pleasure of being an internet troll)

Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them: none at the moment

Any other cool ideas you have: Ditto

Comment on Narv's artwork: :headbang:

(Edit: not that you asked, but I’m putting in reasons for my preferences :p )
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him
Tis the season of Sean Bean prequel shows

Balrog
• Do you wish to RP? Yes
- Sauron
- Radagast
- Khamûl
- A random Beorning
• Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them this RPG doesn't need any of my normal weirdos running around and breaking things
• Any other cool ideas you have my ideas don't form until I'm halfway down the rabbit hole, but when one pops up, I will let you know
• Commentary on Narv’s art piece unless it's music, I am deeply unqualified to give any sort of analysis on art, and even that is iffy
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Thain of The Mark
• Do you wish to RP? Yes.

1. Radagast
2. Théodwyn
3. Finduilas
4. Glorfindel

Depending on what direction things take, I might be interested in bringing in some of IC Taeth's extended family during the period of the War of the Ring in Rohan. It's a head canon of mine that Taeth's aunt (maybe once or twice removed) was Théodwyn's seamstress.

• Any other cool ideas you have
None at the moment but if that changes I'll let you know.

• Commentary on Narv’s art piece
Honestly, it's awful but still better than any artwork attempt I would make.

New Soul
1. Ioreth
2. Pippin
3. Nameless Things
4. Mrs Maggot (farmer Maggot's wife)
• Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them - At the moment I think we'll be just fine without dragging any of the historically inspired characters that are wandering around my brain, thank you for asking though. :grin:
• Any other cool ideas you have - At the moment zero cool ideas, but if one manifests I'll let you know. :grin:
• Commentary on Narv’s art piece - A majestic blend of dark purple and gold. Now if only Narv had used acid green for the tree...
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

High Warden of Tower
1. Faramir
2. Damrod (or Mablung)
3. Aragorn
4. Lobelia :tongue:
• Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them - Ehhh, don't know, maybe...
• Any other cool ideas you have - Nah
• Commentary on Narv’s art piece :shrug:

Guardian of Imladris
• Your four favoured canon characters IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE:
1. Legolas
2. Thranduil
3. Haldir (from Lothlorien)
4. Thingol
• Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them - Not at the moment.
• Any other cool ideas you have - Perhaps a Last Alliance rpg :smile:
• Commentary on Narv’s art piece - Brilliant haha
"Mae govannen mellon nin."

Fea
• Do you wish to RP? No
Rosie Cotton
Quickbeam
Treebeard
Radagast
• Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them: N/A
• Any other cool ideas you have: None - I plan on being an enthusiastic spectator to the happenings
• Commentary on Narv’s art piece: Two questions and two observations: Q1. Why do the buttons come after the hat? Q2.Why does the cravat and hat detail follow the buttons? O1. The tree looks like broccoli O2. rohllum looks like a gherkin.

Black Númenórean
• Do you wish to RP? Yes
A random Nazgûl
Fredegar Bolger
Celeborn
The One Ring (if I can't be an inanimate object I'll submit a different 4th choice I guess)
Maybe Pearl's ma
• Any other cool ideas you have - I bow to your TRnesses
• Commentary on Narv’s art piece - Honestly, it's incredible. I am going to begin raising funds for a Museum of Narv Art (MONA) immediately. 'Tis eclipsed only by the @Winddancer gif.
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Black Númenórean
Suppose I should fill out the form since I also intend to play in the thing :googly:

• Do you wish to RP? Yes
1. Glorfindel
2. Wormtongue
3. Saruman
4. The nameless fox
• Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them Entirely dependent on what the plot ends up being
• Any other cool ideas you have :mwahaha:
• Commentary on Narv’s art piece An utter masterpiece, as always
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Khazad Elder
I am late to the party.
• Do you wish to RP? Yes
1. The Old Thrush
2. Balin
3. Wandlimb (well, her ghost, I suppose)
4. Sméagol's grandmother (another ghost)
• Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them Entirely dependent on what the plot ends up being: Aule/Mahal would be an interesting character to RP.
• Any other cool ideas you have : No, not at the moment. :smile:
• Commentary on Narv’s art piece: An 'ingenious masterpiece'!

Warrior of Imladris
• Do you wish to RP? Yes - but might not have the time.
Glorfindel (for the awesome), Elrohir (because of shallow petty reasons), Arwen (she's not fleshed out at all) and Bard the Bowman (eventual grumpy old man)
• Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them. I think maybe Varda or Earendil would make great commentary, and I call dibs.
• Any other cool ideas you have. I only have sarcasm, and have been informed that that is not Wit.
• Commentary on Narv’s art piece. Yes.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

High Lord of Imladris
WAIT. Was ALL this a lie to get characters for Christmas decorations @Sil ???

This had best not be a lie you eyeball you. :wink:

Arien
Arien
Ha! It was not a lie, but I made an effort to include some top choices so people could try out RPing with the icon if they wished to @Fuin Elda :wink:
cave anserem

Ent Ancient
Do you wish to RP? Maybe? Sorry for being flighty - it depends how tight the deadlines are going to be.
Your four favoured canon characters (in order) The Thrush, Roac, Bill the Pony, Gwaihir
Anyone else you might wish to bring into the RP, and a bit about them Maybe Elmwhisper my Ent because I've not done much with him yet.
Any other cool ideas you have Fresh out at the moment!
Commentary on Narv’s art piece I am speechless.

Istari Steward
• Do you wish to RP? Yes, but also no, if you see what I mean. But yes. But also possibly no, you know? But yes.
1) Gandalf
2) Saruman
3) A Blue Wizard
4) Tom Bombadil
In no particular order: A barrow-wight, Quickbeam, Bill Ferny, an Oliphaunt, Samwise Gamgee, Tulkas the brofist, the other Blue wizard, the Mouth of Sauron, any non-specific Misty Mountain dwelling goblin, Saruman-as-Sharky specifically, Ducky, and/or Barliman Butterbur
• Any other cool ideas you have: Just a general preference for under-represented characters and locations, and also a general preference for well-represented times or moments in canon
• Commentary on Narv’s art piece: Ted Danson is in an old VHS educational tape called How Can I Tell If I'm Really In Love, check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62x54y7y54g

From the description: "There is a rumor floating around that Ted Danson took this job as it qualified for "community service" hours he had to serve due to multiple unpaid parking tickets."