Fangorn Forever - OOC

For Fangorn is old, old even as the Elves would reckon it.
Ent High Elder
Hooom hom Welcome to Fangorn both Old Ents who have been roused from their slumber, and new Entings who are exploring the forest for the first time! We welcome all!

Also, for the time being, until Isengard has their own kingdom we certainly welcome any Wizards to the Treegarth of Isengard.

Fangorn is old....very old, and full of memory. Let's start this by talking about some of our favorite memories of old Fangorn and things we should bring back or new ideas for fun stuff to do!

Thread Ideas
- Ent Moot Point (random topics to talk about)
- Entmoot (business/general)
- Keepers of the Lists (lore society and discussion)
- Gardening/Planting Advice
- language thread ( made up fun Entish words)
- Riddle thread
- tree-art thread
- behind-the-bark photo thread
- Entish homes thread
- Greenhouse (welcome thread for new Ents)
- Fangorn Song Parody Company
- mENTors (I don't remember specifically what this was but I like anything with a good Ent pun)
- Mockingbird Mail (sending letters to people, this was always fun)
- Entish Blessings (basically just a thread to give a special thanks or shout-out to someone)
- TreeGarth
- Healing Grove
Last edited by Mojo on Sun May 17, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

New Soul
darn....simul topic post, gah! ...I was treeish slow...hoom. deleted my "creation".
hi, Mojo!

Ent High Elder
Nienna!!! Good to see you again!

My little twigs are great! Hard to believe I was like 16 years old when I first joined Fangorn and now I'm 34 and have 4 kids (all boys) of my own! They are 9, 7, 4, and 2...fatherhood is awesome.

How are you doing?

Ent High Elder
Also, to the spirit of the thread, some things to consider bringing back (not saying I want to or have the time to run all these, just fun things I remember from the old days):

New Soul
Hey, great! how time flies! Glad you and your family are doing so well. Love to hear that you're enjoing life so much! congrats to all your kids. Man, what a house full, never a dull moment, I suspect :smiley8:
Me, I am doing great, too. Studio, house, garden, hubby and cats. I started with one cat, had 4 and now I have 3. Furry kids they are to me. I was fully grown, when I joined in 2002 (means I was old-ish) and now, well, bark a bit on the wrinkly side, but tall and strong as ever.

sounds good to me

Ent High Elder
Great! Glad to hear you're doing well!

From what I remember the Ent Moot Point was like 10ish semi-random questions to helpbus get to know each other and some in- character questions to help us develop our characters.

Are there any threads you'd be interested in starting/running? I kind of just started this one because I waa so excited Fangorn was back.

Weathered Ent
Skitters in happy to be back in the forest. :mrgreen:

Yes I am doing really well, despite all this bit about be shut in from what is going on around us. This Plaza is a nice diversion and I hope it stays. I actually now live in a grove of trees. One of them is a 200 year old cottonwood that my husband and I call Bill after a person that was very heavy. The tree is 22 feet at the base.

Fea
Oh my, this is just bringing back the best times. I'm so glad they added Fangorn back as I really loved it here. I cant even remember when my plasaversary should be but it was old ( like me now!). I'm in awe of the managing of 4 kids as wrangling 2 twinspawn is more than enough for me. ( one of each and daughter got Eowyn as a middle name, most people just assume its Welsh. )

Fea
Oak wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:53 pm Skitters in happy to be back in the forest. :mrgreen:

Yes I am doing really well, despite all this bit about be shut in from what is going on around us. This Plaza is a nice diversion and I hope it stays. I actually now live in a grove of trees. One of them is a 200 year old cottonwood that my husband and I call Bill after a person that was very heavy. The tree is 22 feet at the base.
My house now has a very intensive front and back garden and a lot of time needed. With all my love of outside I'm a terrible gardener but trying to do justice to the previous owner, who was clearly part ent!.
( also if anyone does now how to clear bindweed without burning, round up and clearing by hand I'd really appreciate it!)

Ent High Elder
Welcome back to the forest Oak and Catiri!!

Oakie your tree sounds amazing!

Catiri, Congrats on the offspring! Kids are awesome...none of mine have Tolkien names but they all have Scotch-Irish names, which are not "typical" in America so they have a similar vibe.

Ent High Elder
Oooh would anyone be interested in a thread on gardening and treecare tips? I am not much of a gardener myself, but I could certainly use the tips as well. It would bridge the gap between real life and the Plaza a bit, but it would be very on-brand for Fangorn. What do you all think?

Weathered Ent
I was never actually a gardener. Deer would come in and eat everything up. When I live out west I had moderate success with gardening, but it was still always very messy. But I really had a green thumb when it come to trees. I have planted two new trees on my lot and both are doing well. One is a Hackberry that attracts birds. The other is a burr Oak. The Burr Oak was flat and rumpled when I bought it. It fluffed up the day I planted it. It has been doing very well since. The Hackberry is getting very large. It is actually blooming this year. I believe it is actually going to produce berries.

Weathered Ent
Mojo wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 am Oooh would anyone be interested in a thread on gardening and treecare tips? I am not much of a gardener myself, but I could certainly use the tips as well. It would bridge the gap between real life and the Plaza a bit, but it would be very on-brand for Fangorn. What do you all think?
I would be very interested in such a thread. I have cared for trees for years. I could also post images of some of the beautiful tress on my property. Tree care and appreciation thread, since this is Fangorn after all.

Fea
Mojo wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:17 am Oooh would anyone be interested in a thread on gardening and treecare tips? I am not much of a gardener myself, but I could certainly use the tips as well. It would bridge the gap between real life and the Plaza a bit, but it would be very on-brand for Fangorn. What do you all think?
Just this!. We have all levelled up to the "please can someone tell me the most be friendly, sustainable hanging basket I can create".
I would love a gardening thread. I'm terrible at it, have a long amazing garden ( due to previous owner) and would love to do it justice.

New Soul
A garden thread would be lovely and suiting, too, since all entwives were/are avid gardeners I remember. And maybe a language thread ( made up fun Entish words), a riddle thread, an tree-art thread, a behind-the-bark photo thread, an entish homes thread ... just brainstorming here.

Ent High Elder
Great! I'll add it to the list of potential thread ideas. :smiley22:

Would you (or anyone else) be interested in running it? I don't want to trample in anyone's garden (and I'm more of a novice than one to be giving advice on gardening and plant-growing.

Fea
Mojo wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:37 am Great! I'll add it to the list of potential thread ideas. :smiley22:

Would you (or anyone else) be interested in running it? I don't want to trample in anyone's garden (and I'm more of a novice than one to be giving advice on gardening and plant-growing.
I'm happy to help with a gardening thread. Though my 'burn it with fire ' approach to weeds is not always best . I can help with growing Roses and vines and maintaining them Took me a while but discovered 10 different Rose's growing.

Ent High Elder
Nienna all great ideas! I remember some of these from the old Fangorn days and they were great fun! The Riddles thread was particularly fun, and I remember doing some "make up Entish words" exercises that were a lot of fun too.

I added everyone's ideas to the original post just so we can keep track of them. If anyone has some inspiration and would like to start a new thread, go for it! There aren't really any rules or anything about starting threads, so if you have the urge to start one I say go for it👍👍

New Soul
That would be lovely. I would love to run a thread too, for the fun of it. Entish language could be a real point-harvester :smiley9: . Or an art thread. Behind the bark photo thread would be fun too. Gosh, some peeps seem to never really grow old :smiley8:

Ent High Elder
I love the collaborative spirit here, this is great! :smiley24:

Also, one other note - I know there was a pretty big contingent of RPers back in the day in Fangorn. That was never really my thing, but I'm definitely not opposed to seeing RP threads happen either (But I'm definitely not the one to come up with ideas for those...)

I'd be happy to start an Ent Moot Point thread to start and maybe a few others, but I don't want people to feel like I'm taking all the good thread ideas for myself, so if there's something speaking to you go ahead and jump on it! I'm happy to coordinate the list of ideas so we can get things running. :smiley22:

Weathered Ent
Where I live getting rid of weeds with fire would be a very baad idea. I live out in the sticks. Lots of vegetation and trees. There would be a fire in no time. Fortunately, there's the deer again. They tend to eat down the weeds. The bushes around my house tend to look like topiary due the browsing of the deer. So I shape them with trimmers to tidy them up.

Entish word thread would be a very fun.

I remember we had a Eagle Eerie thread for a bit too. I would be very interested in that. Dis who just joined would be interested in that too.

Ent High Elder
Oak I don't remember the Eagle Eerie, what was it?

Some other things I found looking back through the Archives:
- Greenhouse (welcome thread for new Ents)
- Fangorn Song Parody Company
- mENTors (I don't remember specifically what this was but I like anything with a good Ent pun)
- Mockingbird Mail (sending letters to people, this was always fun)
- Entish Blessings (basically just a thread to give a special thanks or shout-out to someone)

The Riddles threads were called "Tree-Twisting Riddles"

Weathered Ent
We had the Eagle Eerie just before the big redo of the plaza. I don't think you were too active at the time. It was a single thread were members from all over the plaza could come in an RP an Eagle character. We hunted for squirrels and other small animals.

Oh and Fangorn's official pet before the reshuffle was the squirrel. We got to name our squirrels.

Wise Ent
Hey all, it's great to see Fangorn back and bustling :)

Some of the threads that I loved participating in back in the day were the Tree Garth and The Healing Grove. I do think we could combine these things though and have a thread where we can RP explore the role of Ents as shepherds and healers. It could even tie in with a gardening thread? Although Ents are nature spirits, I did always like having those rank structures and what not.

Ent High Elder
Thanks Oak! I do remember the squirrels (and the Squizzel Races!)

Li! Good to see you! If I recall (and please correct me if I'm wrong) the TreeGarth was the defense corps and the Healing Grove was for people who got wounded in RPs could go there and get treated? If you'd like to start any of them (or any other ones) feel free to jump in and go for it, this is still kinda like the Wild West with no rulers :smiley16:

Wise Ent
Good to see you too mate!

I might knock something together when I'm off work, assuming there is interest from others?

Ent High Elder
My gut feeling (and this is just a feeling) is that if we open a few more things, it'll help attract more people to be active in Fangorn. One of the worst things I remember about the "regionalized" Plaza was how dead the Fangorn forum became. I'd say since things are just starting up now, I'd be in favor of opening more things just to see what gets action from people.

Browsing around the other kingdoms, KD also has 3 threads open and was also just formed today. The others mostly have 6-10 but have been around longer.

Wise Ent
I remember the days when you had to refresh the page every 2 minutes if you wanted to keep up with the action. Those were also the days of dial up internet.

Anyway, I agree. Let's take a shotgun approach :smiley8: .

Wise Ent
Look at all my old-time Ent-friends!

I don't have too many ideas about Fangy yet...but I promise I won't burn anything down....for the time being at least. :smiley16:

I hope all of you have been doing well. Where I live right now in RL is surrounded by lots of forests.

Ent High Elder
Li - Shotgun approach it is! (not sure what the Entish equivalent of that would be...maybe throwing seeds all over the forest and not planting them in an orderly fashion?)

Megs - Welcome! And from what I recall, burning down the forest took some coordination with the admins at the time as well....it was one of the better Plaza pranks. Even if you don't have any ideas at the moment, if you'd like to start up one of the threads mentioned above feel free to go for it!

By the way, just to keep as a resource, I'll also link any opened threads in the Original Post here as well.

Wise Ent
Yes, it did take a lot of coordination and some work....but it was FUN! Especially watching everyone going WTF????

I'll take a closer look at the ideas tomorrow, after I've had a good sleep. Friday night brain isn't conducive to good ideas like this.

Ent High Elder
Bridging the gap here between the EMP thread and this one, but this is a better place for Story Time with Mojo...

From what I recall...and this was probably ~15ish years ago...the Flame Fried Ent thing came from when we were co-rulers. I went on a summer vacation with my family (back in the day when there wasn't available wifi everywhere) and was without internet for some time. Sometime while I was gone Meaghan and the admins coordinated to change everyone's icons to burning trees and the Fangorn banner to a burning forest. I think I got back right at the end of the fire and then we all got icons of burned and smoking tree stumps for a few weeks.

All in all, it was a good prank and we got some unique icons and banners for a while (I think we were the only Kingdom to ever get temporary special icons for everyone like that)...and it led to some good RPs about re-planting the Forest.

Wise Ent
Was just going to say it was way longer than 15 years ago, but I just counted back...and I think you're pretty close. I had left Plaza really by 2006...so would have been 2004/2005.
Lanthy, who was my co-ruler at the time, and I decided we needed to spark some new interest in Fangorn. So, we sweet-talked the admins into helping, moved all the threads into archives, and then wiped Fangorn clean. Then sat back to watch the reaction.
I was Flame Fried Ent before that. I think you and I were talking, and you said something about a Flame Fried squirrel? or something similar. I was looking for a new name, and got IDEAS.

Ent High Elder
That's certainly possible...I can neither conform nor deny. I think I was mostly off the plaza by early-to-mid-2006, which was when college and work really got busy for me.

Kind of hard to believe it's been over 15 years that we've all known each other. I first joined the Plaza in January 2003 which was 17 years ago. Time flies (and a lot has changed since then!) We were talking in OOME earlier about how a lot of us (myself included) were teenagers back then and now we're all adults.

Khazad Elder
Hello Ent friends! My axe has been left in Khazad-Dum, glad to see this forum up and running with such a strong base. Some of my best memories were Fangorn olympics, the burning the Fangorn, and just some of the wild random ents that strolled through the Mines of Moria.

Wanted to say that I really like the Greenhouse/Green Thumb thread idea. The wife and I have been getting into landscaping and collecting of plants and so I love the idea!

I also love to RP an ent, so anywhere you got that allows me to release my hmmms and harrumphs.

Also is the Ent Moot an Ent only thread or free to anyone?

Enting
Mojo wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:25 am My gut feeling (and this is just a feeling) is that if we open a few more things, it'll help attract more people to be active in Fangorn. One of the worst things I remember about the "regionalized" Plaza was how dead the Fangorn forum became. I'd say since things are just starting up now, I'd be in favor of opening more things just to see what gets action from people.

Browsing around the other kingdoms, KD also has 3 threads open and was also just formed today. The others mostly have 6-10 but have been around longer.
Hi all!
Was awesomely suprised waking up to Fangorn!Woo!
I agree with Mojo. Came back to the Plaza after a few years and Fangron was gone. Think opening up short, active things can draw in more action.

New Soul
Hi Oakie, Li, Oro, Meag, Cat, Eurie!Image so nice to see you all back in Fangorn!
let's see, what happens with opening threads. I have occasional time windows for the plaza on my hands, depending on my work projects.
and allways remember, this is a Narv-plaza, so no getting too serious here, eh? :smiley9:

Esquire of The Mark
Hello everyone! So good to see lots of little trees around, and really nice to see people from different "eras" of the Plaza too.

I would love to see a free RP, plus Eagle's Eerie was one of my favourite RP threads in Fangy.

I also remember a game where people could pick a bowl of ent draught and various different effects would happen to them which they would then RP. That was a nice light-hearted RP. I'd be happy to run that one as I am sure I ran it at least once before.

Ent High Elder
@Oro - Welcome, and (as a throwback to the old days) we do permit certain types of axes here in Fangorn - namely those made by the great Dwarven smiths Fen Der, Gib son of Lespaul and Iban Ez. Those are welcome any time. Also, I personally have no issue with visitors posting in the Ent Moot Point. The purpose of the thread is for fun, so everyone might as well have some fun!

@Eurie & @Fairy Nuff welcome back to the forest! Great to have you here!

Wainrider
Oro wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:16 am Hello Ent friends! My axe has been left in Khazad-Dum, glad to see this forum up and running with such a strong base. Some of my best memories were Fangorn olympics, the burning the Fangorn, and just some of the wild random ents that strolled through the Mines of Moria.
This was also a favorite of this old Minion. :twisted: But in all seriousness, I'm excited to see what the residents of Fangorn bring to the mix on the Nu Plaza. So many Ents have made their way back, it's really encouraging to see!

Khazad Elder
Nienna Hey friend! Welcome back to Fangorn yourself! How has life been?

Mojo Awesome! I will head that way momentarily. And I will bring Gib son of Lespaul next time I come to Fangorn as tribute.

Reikon Me too. Fangorn literally exploded with fauna the moment it opened its door. Exciting.

Enting
@Oro going steady towards the 100 posts! 8-)

Forgot to add: if anyone wants help with stuff I will gladly help! :smiley11:
Last edited by Eurie on Sat May 16, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ent High Elder
This seems like an ideal occasion to bring some of my old (semi-OC) friends out of retirement like Robert the Plant, Axl the Rosebush, Mick the Jaggerbush and some others I'm probably forgetting. I do remember Bruce the Springer was the name of my squirrel/squizzel in the old racing games. Someone made me a picture of Robert the Plant once, I'll have to see if I can find it....

Wainrider
@Eurie Oro isn't the only one! :smiley9:

My only real forays into Fangorn were for games, the burning of Fangorn, and I think I RPed a Huorn once? That said, if you guys need any help getting anything off the ground, I'm happy to help! I also have almost no experience RPing tree-ish things but would like to contribute to any ongoing RPs to help this place out. :smiley8:

Enting
@Reikon Suchi-ru I see now haha! :smiley16: Good to see much enthousiasme!

Going to try my best to be active in the roleplay. Feels like a second chance haha. In 6 weeks I will have way more time because my job will end then. For like a solid 2 months i will have nothing to do then waiting untill classes start. Couldn't be more an appropriate time for the plaza to come back. Weee!

Wise Ent
Cat, Oakie, Meg, Nienna, Eurie! Good to see you all again :) Oro and Reikon too, of course.

Let's bring squizzle racing back! I loved RPing a tiny squirrel with performance anxiety. What creatures did the other kingdoms use for their racing?

So, it's a long shot as to weather anyone would be interested in this, but I'm quite interested in the biology of fantasy worlds. If anyone has read Trudi Canavan's work then she's a good example of an author who tries to understand the ecology of the worlds she creates. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a thread where we consider how things in Middle Earth might have worked from a scientific perspective? Like, what is actually under the bark of an Ent. What would an Ent eat? Are there any species that would have been unique to Fangorn, or is there one species that would have diverged and taken on different forms in different forests. Would a Mirkwood spider be different to a Fangorn spider? It's not a fully baked idea yet, but it's something I think would be cool.

Enting
@Li. Wow! That actually sounds like fun! We can cross check with stuff we can find online, see if we agree or not. It's fun to hear the how's and why's. So count me in haha!

Ent High Elder
Li. wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:22 pm Cat, Oakie, Meg, Nienna, Eurie! Good to see you all again :) Oro and Reikon too, of course.

Let's bring squizzle racing back! I loved RPing a tiny squirrel with performance anxiety. What creatures did the other kingdoms use for their racing?

So, it's a long shot as to weather anyone would be interested in this, but I'm quite interested in the biology of fantasy worlds. If anyone has read Trudi Canavan's work then she's a good example of an author who tries to understand the ecology of the worlds she creates. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a thread where we consider how things in Middle Earth might have worked from a scientific perspective? Like, what is actually under the bark of an Ent. What would an Ent eat? Are there any species that would have been unique to Fangorn, or is there one species that would have diverged and taken on different forms in different forests. Would a Mirkwood spider be different to a Fangorn spider? It's not a fully baked idea yet, but it's something I think would be cool.
I'm here for bringing squizzel racing back, if anyone would like to coordinate it?

Also, I think the discussion on Middle Earth ecology is fascinating and would be a good use for the "Keepers of the Lists" thread, which in the old days was for heavier lore-based discussions (or discussions of how things worked "in-universe."

I can probably get a few things rolling this afternoon while my kids take naps, but if anyone else has any inspiration or feels an idea calling to you (even a previously suggested one) feel free to get it started! :smiley22:

Wainrider
For anyone who's feeling the Squizzle Racing itch: in the meantime, Lava Snake Racing has started in Mordor! I don't remember how the two games differ but I had tons of fun with LSR over the years. Though, be forewarned, bringing highly flammable characters to Mordor is not recommended. :smiley9:

Weathered Ent
Li. wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:58 am Hey all, it's great to see Fangorn back and bustling :)

Some of the threads that I loved participating in back in the day were the Tree Garth and The Healing Grove. I do think we could combine these things though and have a thread where we can RP explore the role of Ents as shepherds and healers. It could even tie in with a gardening thread? Although Ents are nature spirits, I did always like having those rank structures and what not.
I was a doctor in the healing grove for the longest time with you after working my way up from being an apprentice. I would love to do that again. Now that I am older, I could come up with some humorous things, having a Huorn as a doctor. Just imagine how a patient would feel seeing that rustle in to doctor him.

I remember the squizzle races. They were fun. Oakie's squizzle was Acorn. :mrgreen: