halfir on Malory/Verlyn Flieger

A curated collection of some of halfir's many contributions to the Tolkien scholarship on the Plaza.
Newborn of Imladris
halfir was a firm admirer of the scholar Verlyn Flieger and was excited to give us all advance news, in October 2006, of an upcoming talk she was to give that month at a Tolkien conference organised by Marquette University - in which she planned to argue that Sam’s reference:

'“Still, I wonder if we shall ever be put into songs or tales. We're in one, of course, but I mean: put into words, you know, told by the fireside, or read out of a great big book with red and black letters, years and years afterwards. ."'

was in fact a reference by Tolkien to a particular copy of Malory’s Morte D’Arthur. {Sam's words are in The Two Towers Book IV, 'The Stairs of Cirith Ungol.']

The thread that followed had its share, as all our threads do, of on-message and off-message content, but on the whole we did pretty well and halfir certainly enjoyed it. I don't know if he ever saw the piece in its published form, as it came out in 2012 in Flieger's 'Green Suns and Faerie: essays on J. R. R. Tolkien' published by Kent State University. Under the title 'Tolkien and the Matter of Britain' you can find it on pages 127 - 140; it's well worth reading.

Here is the link to the restored thread:

https://lotrfanaticsplaza.com/plazahist ... alory.html
Remembering halfir by learning something new each day