Quote Bank Submissions

A place to store the history of the Plaza and gather information and quotes about Tolkien's books
High Lord of Imladris
Instead of the former format that we did with the library that was a cross between Wiki and story telling to share information, I am hoping to have a compellation of quotes on individual topics, creatures, characters and major events primarily from the books but including the Films and eventually the Prime show as these are the largest factors in creating fans of Tolkiens Universe.

This particular thread, is for anyone that wishes to participate in the creation of this new compellation. Please use the following format:

Page, Chapter, Book (Publisher, Year of Publication)

(Start of Quote Time - End of Quote Time)Movie Title, Director, Production Company, Release Year

I am hoping to primarily work on gather quotes from the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings at this time, but eventually adding The Silmarillion, UT, Children of Hurin, and of course EVENTUALLY (Pray for all our sanity) HoME.
For questions or comments - OR to discuss placements of quotes etc Please join us in our OOC and Discussion thread
https://lotrfanaticsplaza.com/forum/vie ... ?f=3&t=608
Last edited by Fuin Elda on Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Wizards
"But it is said: Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." Page 84, Three is Company, The Fellowship of the Ring Harper Collins, 2004

"Hoom, hm, I have not troubled about the Great Wars,' said Treebeard; 'they mostly concern Elves and Men. That is the business of Wizards: Wizards are always troubled about the future." Page 472, Treebeard, The Two Towers Harper Collins, 2004.

"The staff in the hand of a wizard may be more than a prop for age," said Hama. Page 511, The King of the Golden Hall, The Two Towers Harper Collins, 2004.
---

*If this is not precisely what you're looking for in starting a quote bank or I'm referencing something incorrectly please let me know. :smile: I'd love to contribute but not much of a librarian.

Beorn
"Beorn may be your friend, but he loves his animals as his children. You do not guess what kindness he has shown you in letting dwarves ride them so far and so fast, nor what would happen to you, if you tried to take them into the forest." (Gandalf) Page 127, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

But even with the Eagles they were still outnumbered. In the last hour Beorn himself had appeared - no one knew how or from where. He came alone, and in bear's shape; and he seemed to have grown almost to giant-size in his wrath. Pages 263-264, The Return Journey, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Khazad Elder
Arkenstone
" The Arkenstone! The Arkenstone!" murmured Thorin in the dark, half dreaming with his chin upon his knees. "It was like a globe with a thousand facets; it shone like silver in the firelight, like water in the sun, like snow under the stars, like rain upon the Moon!" Page 243, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin, 1987, 50 Anniversary Edition Hardcover)

Khazad Elder
Attercop
This is what he sang (Bilbo):
Old fat spider spinning in a tree!
Old fat spider can't see me!
Attercop! Attercop!
Won't you stop,
Stop your spinning and look for me?.. Page 147, Flies and Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum,1977, Softcover)

Azog
'I did not "get hold of it", I was given it,' said the wizard (Gandalf). 'Your grandfather Thror was killed, you remember, in the mines of
Moria by Azog the Goblin.' Page 24, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Big People
...I suppose hobbits need some description nowadays, since they have become rare and shy of the Big People, as they call us. Page 2, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bilbo Baggins
... As I was saying, the mother of this hobbit - of Bilbo Baggins, that is - was the fabulous Belladonna Took, one of the three remarkable daughters of the Old Took, head of the hobbits who lived across The Water, the small river that ran at the foot of The Hill. Page 2, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Belladonna Took
... As I was saying, the mother of this hobbit - of Bilbo Baggins, that is - was the fabulous Belladonna Took, one of the three remarkable daughters of the Old Took, head of the hobbits who lived across The Water, the small river that ran at the foot of The Hill. Page 2, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bungo Baggins
Not that Belladonna Took ever had any adventures after she became Mrs. Bungo Baggins. Page 2, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Balin
'I see they have begun to arrive already,' he said when he caught sight of Dwalin's green hood hanging up. He hung his red one next to it,
and 'Balin at your service!' he said with his hand on his breast. Page 7 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bifur
'And raspberry jam and apple-tart,' said Bifur. Page 10 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bofur
'And mince-pies and cheese,' said Bofur. Page 10 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bombur
'And pork-pie and salad,' said Bombur. Page 10 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bag-End
Suddenly in the wood beyond The Water a flame leapt up - probably somebody lighting a wood-fire - and he thought of plundering dragons settling on his quiet Hill and kindling it all to flames. He shuddered; and very quickly he was plain Mr. Baggins of
Bag-End, Under-Hill, again. Page 15 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bullroarer
If you have ever seen a dragon in a pinch, you will realize that this was only poetical exaggeration applied to any hobbit, even to Old Took's
great-granduncle Bullroarer, who was so huge (for a hobbit) that he could ride a horse. Page 17 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bywater
'Thinking it unnecessary to disturb your esteemed repose, we have proceeded in advance to make requisite preparations, and shall await your respected person at the Green Dragon Inn, Bywater, at II a.m. sharp. Trusting that you will be punctual,
'We have the honour to remain
'Yours deeply
'Thorin & Co.' Page 27, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bert
William choked. 'Shut yer mouth!' he said as soon as he could. 'Yer can't expect folk to stop here for ever just to be et by you and Bert...Page 33 Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bill
...'And I won't take that from you. Bill Huggins,' says Bert, and puts his fist in William's eye. Page 35 Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Biter
...They had called it Orcrist, Goblin-cleaver, but the goblins called it simply Biter. They hated it and hated worse any one that
carried it. Page 59, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Beater
...This sword's name was Glamdring the Foehammer, if you remember. The goblins just called it Beater, and hated it worse than Biter if possible. Page 61, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Barrel-rider
...'I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider,' went on Bilbo beginning to be
pleased with his riddling.... Page 205, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bladorthin
...They wondered if they were still lying there unharmed in the hall below: the spears that were made for the armies of the great King Bladorthin (long since dead), each had a thrice-forged head and their shafts were inlaid with cunning gold, but they were never delivered or paid for;...Page 212, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bard
No one had dared to give battle to him for many an age; nor would they have dared now, if it had not been for the grim-voiced man (Bard was his name), who ran to and fro cheering on the archers and urging the Master to order them to fight to the last arrow. Page 227, Fire and Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Black Arrow
'Arrow!' said the bowman. 'Black arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!' Page 229, Fire and Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Battle of Five Armies
...So began a battle that none had expected; and it was called the Battle of Five Armies, and it was very terrible....Page 257, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bolg
...'Dread has come upon you all! Alas! It has come more swiftly than I guessed. The Goblins are upon you! Bolg* of the North is coming, O Dain! whose father you slew in Moria.... Page 257, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Blue
...'Not the Gandalf who was responsible for so many quiet lads and lasses going off into the Blue for mad adventures? Anything from climbing trees to visiting Elves -... Page 5, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)
Last edited by Drifa on Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carc
"They live many a year, and their memories are long, and they hand on their wisdom to their children. I knew many among the ravens of the rocks when I was a dwarf-lad. This very height was once named Ravenhill, because there was a wise and famous pair, old Carc and his wife, that lived here above the guard-chamber." (Balin) Page 235, The Gathering of the Clouds, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Cram
...there they rested for a while and had such a breakfast as they could, chiefly cram and water. (If you want to know what cram is, I can only say that I don't know the recipe; but it is biscuitish, keeps good indefinitely, is supposed to be sustaining, and is certainly not entertaining, being in fact very uninteresting except as a chewing exercise. It was made by the Lake-men for long journeys.) Page 223, Not At Home, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Master of Lake-town
Then the Master hesitated and looked from one to the other. The Elvenking was very powerful in those parts and the Master wished for no enmity with him, nor did he think much of old songs, giving his mind to trade and tolls, to cargoes and gold, to which habit he owed his position. Page 182, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

The old Master had come to a bad end. Bard had given him much gold for the help of the Lake-people, but being of the kind that easily catches such disease he fell under the dragon-sickness, and took most of the gold and fled with it, and died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions. Page 276, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Roäc
"O Thorin son of Thrain, and Balin son of Fundin," he croaked (and Bilbo could understand what he said, for he used ordinary language and not bird-speech). "I am Roäc, son of Carc. Carc is dead, but he was well known to you once. It is a hundred years and three and fifty since I came out of the egg, but I do not forget what my father told me. Now I am the chief of the great ravens of the Mountain. We are few, but we remember still the king that was of old. Most of my people are abroad, for there are great tiding in the South - some are tidings of joy to you, and some will not think so good." Page 235, The Gathering of the Clouds, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Khazad Elder
Carrock
That Somebody made the steps on the great rock - the Carrock I believe he calls it. Page 105, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Gandalf)

Cob
Standing now in the middle of the hunting and spinning insects Bilbo plucked up his courage and began a new song:
Lazy Lob and crazy Cob
are weaving webs to wind me.
I am far more sweet than other meat,
but still they cannot find me! ... Page 148, Flies and Spiders, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Country Round
He loved maps, and in his hall there hung a large one of the Country Round with all his favourite walks marked on it in red ink. Page 19, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Dain
...But go specially to my cousin Dain in the Iron Hills, for he has many people well-armed, and dwells nearest to this place. Bid him hasten!" Page 248, The Gathering of The Clouds, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Thorin)

Dale
'Because it is too small. "Five feet high the door and three may walk abreast" say the runes, but Smaug could not creep into a hole that size,
not even when he was a young dragon, certainly not after devouring so many of the dwarves and men of Dale.' Page 19, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Deep-elves
...There the Light-elves and the Deep-elves and the Sea-elves went and lived for ages, and grew fairer and wiser and more learned, and invented their magic and their cunning craft, in the making of beautiful and marvellous things, before some came back into the Wide World. Page 155, Flies and Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Desolation of the Dragon
They were come to the Desolation of the Dragon, and they were come at the waning of the year. Page 187, On The Doorstep, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Dori
He had hardly turned the knob, before they were all inside, bowing and saying 'at your service' one after another. Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, and Glóin
were their names;...Page 9, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Dorwinion
It must be potent wine to make a wood-elf drowsy; but this wine, it would seem, was the heady vintage of the great gardens of Dorwinion, not meant for his soldiers or his servants, but for the king's feasts only, and for smaller bowls, not for the butler's great flagons. Page 164, Barrels Out of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Dragon
But men remembered little of all that, though some still sang old songs of the dwarf-kings of the Mountain, Thror and Thrain of the race of
Durin, and of the coming of the Dragon, and the fall of the lords of Dale. Page 177, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Durin
...'The sons of my father's daughter,' answered Thorin, 'Fili and Kili of the race of Durin, and Mr. Baggins who has travelled with us out of the
West.' Page 180, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Durin's Day
'Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks,' read Elrond, 'and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the
key-hole.' Page 50, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Dwarf-mail
'Fools!' laughed Bard, 'to come thus beneath the Mountain's arm! They do not understand war above ground, whatever they may know of battle in the mines. There are many of our archers and spearmen now hidden in the rocks upon their right flank. Dwarf-mail may be good, but they will soon be hard put to it. Let us set on them now from both sides, before they are fully rested!' Page 256, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Dwarves
...Gandalf, too, was lying down after doing his part in setting the fire going, since Oin and Gloin had lost their tinderboxes. (Dwarves have never taken to matches even yet.) Page 102-103, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
Last edited by Drifa on Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khazad Elder
wild Were-worms, the
...Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last Desert. I had a great-great-great-granduncle once, Bullroarer Took, and --'...Page 18, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Last Desert
...Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last Desert. I had a great-great-great-granduncle once, Bullroarer Took, and --'...Page 18, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Eagles
'The Eagles! The Eagles!' he shouted. 'The Eagles are coming!' Page 262, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)
East of East

Edge of the Wild
...Even the good plans of wise wizards like Gandalf and of good friends like Elrond go astray sometimes when you are off on dangerous adventures over the Edge of the Wild; and Gandalf was a wise enough wizard to know it. Page 52, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Eggses
But suddenly Gollum remembered thieving from nests long ago, and sitting under the river bank teaching his grandmother, teaching his
grandmother to suck - 'Eggses!' he hissed. 'Eggses it is!'... Page 70, Riddles in The Dark, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Elephants
"Great Elephants!' said Gandalf, 'you are not at all yourself this morning - you have never dusted the mantelpiece!' Page 27, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Elrond
'Where's that?' asked Bilbo,
'Don't interrupt!' said Gandalf. 'You will get there in a few days now, if we're lucky, and find out all about it. As I was saying I met two of Elrond's people.... Page 41, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Elvenking
...These were not like those of the goblin-cities: they were smaller, less deep underground, and filled with a cleaner air. In a great hall with pillars hewn out of the living stone sat the Elvenking on a chair of carven wood.... Page 159, Barrels Out of Bond, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Elves
...'Not the Gandalf who was responsible for so many quiet lads and lasses going off into the Blue for mad adventures? Anything from climbing trees to visiting Elves -... Page 5, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Engagement Tablet
The next day he had almost forgotten about Gandalf. He did not remember things very well, unless he put them down on his Engagement
Tablet: like this: Gandalf Tea Wednesday. Yesterday he had been too flustered to do anything of the kind. Page 8, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Esgaroth
...He had a wicked and a wily heart, and he knew his guesses were not far out, though he suspected that the Lake-men were at the back of the plans, and that most of the plunder was meant to stop there in the town by the shore that in his young days had been called Esgaroth. Page 207, Inside Information, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
Last edited by Drifa on Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Khazad Elder
Bard the Bowman
...'I am the last man to undervalue Bard the Bowman,' said the Master warily (for Bard now stood close beside him).... Page 231, Fire and Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bard the Dragon-shooter
'He may have a good head for business - especially his own business,' some murmured, 'but he is no good when anything serious happens!' And they praised the courage of Bard and his last mighty shot. 'If only he had not been killed,' they all said, 'we would make him a king. Bard the
Dragon-shooter of the line of Girion! Alas that he is lost!' Page 230, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Barrel
'Very well, O Barrel-rider!' he said aloud. 'Maybe Barrel was your pony's name; and maybe not, though it was fat enough.... Page 205, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Battle of the Green Fields
...He charged the ranks of the goblins of Mount Gram in the Battle of the Green Fields, and knocked their king Golfimbul's head clean
off with a wooden club. It sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit hole, and in this way the battle was won and the
game of Golf invented at the same moment. Page 17, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Birthday-present, my
'My birthday-present!' he whispered to himself, as he had often done in the endless dark days. “That's what we wants now, yes; we wants
it!' Page 74-75, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Gollum)

Blighter
'Poor little blighter,' said William. He had already had as much supper as he could hold; also he had had lots of beer. 'Poor little blighter!
Let him go!' Page 35, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Booby
'You're a booby,' said William.
'Booby yerself!' said Tom.
And so the argument began all over again, and went on hotter than ever, until at last they decided to sit on the sacks one by one and squash them, and boil them next time. Page 38, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Burglar
...If I say he is a Burglar, a Burglar he is, or will be when the time comes....Page 18, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Burrahobbit
'A burrahobbit?' said they a bit startled. Trolls are slow in the uptake, and mighty suspicious about anything new to them. Page 34, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Burrows
...stating that on June the Twenty-second Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes would sell by auction the effects of the late Bilbo Baggins Esquire, of Bag-End, Underhill, Hobbiton.... Page 276, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Gandalf)

Curse us and crush us
'Where is it? Where iss it?' Bilbo heard him crying.
'Losst it is, my precious, lost, lost! Curse us and crush us, my precious is lost!' Page 76, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Expert Treasure-hunter
You may say Expert Treasure-hunter instead of Burglar if you like. Some of them do. It's all the same to us. Gandalf told us that there was a man of the sort in these parts looking for a Job at once, and that he had arranged for a meeting here this Wednesday tea-time.' Page 18, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Gloin)

jack-in-the-boxes
"Hullo!" said Beorn. "You came pretty quick-where were you hiding? Come on my jack-in-the-boxes!" Page 114, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Job
...Gandalf told us that there was a man of the sort in these parts looking for a Job at once, and that he had arranged for a meeting here this Wednesday tea-time.' Page 18, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Gloin)

Kili
'What can I do for you, my dwarves?' he said. 'Kili at your service!' said the one. 'And Fili!' added the other; and they both swept off their
blue hoods and bowed. Page 8, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Mount Gram
...He charged the ranks of the goblins of Mount Gram in the Battle of the Green Fields, and knocked their king Golfimbul's head clean off with a wooden club. It sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit hole, and in this way the battle was won and the game of Golf invented at the same moment. Page 17, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Ringwinner
'I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider,' went on Bilbo beginning to be pleased with his riddling. Page 205, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover).

rocks and blocks
Out jumped the goblins, big goblins, great ugly-looking goblins, lots of goblins, before you could say rocks and blocks.... Page 55, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

tinder and flint
...There were six to each dwarf, at least, and two even for Bilbo; and they were all grabbed and carried through the crack, before you could say tinder and flint.... Page 55, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Faerie
..For most of them (together with their scattered relations in the hills and mountains) were descended from the ancient tribes that never went to Faerie in the West. Page 155, Flies and Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Fili
'What can I do for you, my dwarves?' he said. 'Kili at your service!' said the one. 'And Fili!' added the other; and they both swept off their
blue hoods and bowed. Page 8, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

First Homely House
It was on May the First that the two came back at last to the brink of the valley of Rivendell, where stood the Last (or the First) Homely House. Page 271, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Foe-hammer
...This, Gandalf, was Glamdring, Foe-hammer that the king of Gondolin once wore. Keep them well!" Page 48, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Forest, the
...for Bard at once had speedy messengers sent up the river to the Forest to ask the aid of the King of the Elves of the Wood, and these messengers had found a host already on the move, although it was then only the third day after the fall of Smaug. Page 233, Fire and Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Forest River
A stream flowed under part of the lowest regions of the palace, and joined the Forest River some way further to the east, beyond the steep
slope out of which the main mouth opened. Page 162-163, Barrels Out of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Front Gate
'We might go from there up along the River Running,' went on Thorin taking no notice, 'and so to the ruins of Dale - the old town in the valley there, under the shadow of the Mountain. But we none of us liked the idea of the Front Gate. The river runs right out of it through the great cliff at the South of the Mountain, and out of it comes the dragon too - far too often, unless he has changed his habits.' Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Front Porch
'Who are these miserable persons?' said the Great Goblin.
'Dwarves, and this!' said one of the drivers, pulling at Bilbo's chain so that he fell forward onto his knees. 'We found them sheltering in our Front Porch.' Page 58, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Fundin
...'O Thorin son of Thrain, and Balin son of Fundin,' he croaked (and Bilbo could understand what he said, for he used ordinary language and
not bird-speech). 'I am Roäc son of Carc. Carc is dead, but he was well known to you once....Page 236, The Gathering of The Clouds, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Galion
'Where's old Galion, the butler?' said one, 'I haven't seen him at the tables tonight. He ought to be her now to show us what is to be done.' Page 168, Barrels Out Of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

{b]Girion[/b]
...Their captain was Bard, grim-voiced and grim-faced, whose friends had accused him of prophesying floods and poisoned fish, though they knew his worth and courage. He was a descendant in long line of Girion, Lord of Dale, whose wife and child had escaped down the Running River from the ruin long ago.... Page 228-229, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Goblins
Swish, smack! Whip crack!
Batter and beat! Yammer and bleat!
Work, work! Nor dare to shirk,
While Goblins quaff, and Goblins laugh,
Round and round far underground
Below, my lad!
Page 56, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Goblinses
'Ssss, sss, gollum! Goblinses! Yes, but if it's got the present, our precious present, then goblinses will get it, gollum! They'll find it, they'll find out what it does. We shan't ever be safe again, never, gollum! One of the goblinses will put it on, and then no one will see him. He'll be there
but not seen. Not even our clever eyeses will notice him; and he'll come creepsy and tricksy and catch us, gollum, gollum!' Page 78-79, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Goblin-town
Clap! Slap! the black crack?
Grip, grab! Pinch, nab!
And down down to Goblin-town
You go, my lad!
...Page 56, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Goblin-wars
...They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars. They must have come from a dragon's hoard or goblin plunder, for dragons and
goblins destroyed that city many ages ago...Page 48, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Golf
...He charged the ranks of the goblins of Mount Gram in the Battle of the Green Fields, and knocked their king Golfimbul's head clean
off with a wooden club. It sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit hole, and in this way the battle was won and the
game of Golf invented at the same moment. Page 17, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Golfimbul

Gollum
Deep down here by the dark water lived old Gollum, a small slimy creature. I don't know where he came from, nor who or what he was. He
was Gollum - as dark as darkness, except for two big round pale eyes in his thin face. He had a little boat, and he rowed about quite quietly on the lake; for lake it was, wide and deep and deadly cold. He paddled it with large feet dangling over the side, but never a ripple did he make. Not he....Page 66, Riddles in The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Gondolin
...They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars. They must have come from a dragon's hoard or goblin plunder, for dragons and
goblins destroyed that city many ages ago...Page 48, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

great golden cup of Thror, the
...;the great golden cup of Thror, two-handed, hammered and carven with birds and flowers whose eyes and petals were of jewels:... Page 215, Inside Information, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Grey Mountains
...Then they halted, for the wizard and Bilbo would not enter the wood, even though the king bade them stay a while in his halls. They intended to go along the edge of the forest, and round its northern end in the waste that lay between it and the beginning of the Grey Mountains.... Page 268-269, The Return Journey, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Great Eagle
As Bilbo listened to the talk of Gandalf he realized that at last they were going to escape really and truly from the dreadful mountains. He was discussing plans with the Great Eagle for carrying the dwarves and himself and Bilbo far away and setting them down well on their journey across the plains below. Page 102, Out Of The Frying-pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Great Goblin
'What do you mean by it?' said the Great Goblin turning to Thorin. 'Up to no good, I'll warrant! Spying on the private business of my people, I guess! Thieves, I shouldn't be surprised to learn! Murderers and friends of Elves, not unlikely! Come! What have you got to say?' Page 58, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Great House
Back swirled the dragon. A sweep of his tail and the roof of the Great House crumbled and smashed down. Flames unquenchable sprang high into the night. Page 228, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Great River
...North of the Carrock the edge of Mirkwood drew closer to the borders of the Great River, and though here the Mountains too drew down nearer, Beorn advised them to take this way; for at a place a few days' ride due north of the Carrock was the gate of a little-known pathway through Mirkwood that led almost straight towards the Lonely Mountain. Page 124, Queer Lodgings,The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Great Shelf
Soon another eagle flew up. 'The Lord of the Eagles bids you to bring your prisoners to the Great Shelf,' he cried and was off again. Page 101, Out Of The Frying-pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Grocer
...As soon as I clapped eyes on the little fellow bobbing and puffing on the mat, I had my doubts. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar!'...
Page 17, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Gloin)

Grubb
If he was surprised, they were more surprised still. He had arrived back in the middle of an auction! There was a large notice in black and red hung on the gate, stating that on June the Twenty-second Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Bun-owes would sell by auction the effects of the late
Bilbo Baggins Esquire, of Bag-End, Underhill, Hobbiton. Sale to commence at ten o'clock sharp. Page 276, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Gundabad
Then they marched and gathered by hill and valley, going ever by tunnel or under dark, until around and beneath the great mountain Gundabad of the North, where was their capital, a vast host was assembled ready to sweep down in time of storm unawares upon the South. Page 257-258, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Gunpowder
But not Gandalf. Bilbo's yell had done that much good. It had wakened him up wide in a splintered second, and when goblins came to grab him, there was a terrible flash like lightning in the cave, a smell like gunpowder, and several of them fell dead. Page 55, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hammers
Hammers, axes, swords, daggers, pickaxes, tongs, and also instruments of torture, they make very well, or get other people to make to their design, prisoners and slaves that have to work till they die for want of air and light. Page 57, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Handses
...'S-s-s-s-s,” hissed Gollum. 'It must give us three guesseses, my preciouss, three guesseses.'
'Very well! Guess away!' said Bilbo.
'Handses!' said Gollum.
'Wrong,' said Bilbo, who had luckily just taken his hand out again. 'Guess again!'... Page 73, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Haymaking
'The summer is getting on down below,' thought Bilbo, 'and haymaking is going on and picnics. They will be harvesting and blackberrying, before we even begin to go down the other side at this rate.' Page 51, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Heart of the Mountain, the
...But fairest of all was the great white gem, which the dwarves had found beneath the roots of the Mountain, the Heart of the Mountain, the Arkenstone of Thrain. Page 212, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Hero
'That would be no good,' said the wizard, 'not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neighbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply lot to be found....Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

High Elves
...'These are not troll-make. They are old swords, very old swords of the High Elves of the West, my kin. They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars.... Page 48, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Hill
...Suddenly in the wood beyond The Water a flame leapt up - probably somebody lighting a wood-fire - and he thought of plundering dragons settling on his quiet Hill and kindling it all to flames.... Page 15, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

High Pass
'They are on their way to visit the land of their fathers, away east beyond Mirkwood, ' put in Gandalf, 'and it is entirely an accident that we
are in your lands at all. We were crossing by the High Pass that should have brought us to the road that lies to the south of your country, when
we were attacked by the evil goblins - as I was about to tell you.' Page 111, Queer Lodgings, i]The Hobbit[/i] (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

History
The master of the house was an elf-friend - one of those people whose fathers came into the strange stories before the beginning of History, the wars of the evil goblins and the elves and the first men in the North. Page 47, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Hobbit's Holiday
One autumn evening some years afterwards Bilbo was sitting in his study writing his memoirs - he thought of calling them 'There and Back Again, a Hobbit's Holiday' - when there was a ring at the door. It was Gandalf and a dwarf; and the dwarf was actually Balin. Page 277-278, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Hobbiton
If he was surprised, they were more surprised still. He had arrived back in the middle of an auction! There was a large notice in black and red
hung on the gate, stating that on June the Twenty-second Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes would sell by auction the effects of the late
Bilbo Baggins Esquire, of Bag-End, Underhill, Hobbiton. Sale to commence at ten o'clock sharp.... Page 276, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Huggins, Bill
'And I won't take that from you. Bill Huggins,' says Bert, and puts his fist in William's eye. Page 35, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Humph
This is what he heard, Gloin speaking: 'Humph!' (or some snort more or less like that). Page 17, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Impenetrable, Lord Smaug the
'I might have guessed it,' said Bilbo. 'Truly there can nowhere be found the equal of Lord Smaug the Impenetrable. What magnificence to possess a waistcoat of fine diamonds!' Page 208, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Inn, Green Dragon
'Thinking it unnecessary to disturb your esteemed repose, we have proceeded in advance to make requisite preparations, and shall await your respected person at the Green Dragon Inn, Bywater, at II a.m. sharp. Trusting that you will be punctual,... Page 27, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Thorin & Co.)

Insect eyes
...But the eyes that he liked the least were horrible pale bulbous sort of eyes. 'Insect eyes' he thought, 'not animal eyes, only they are much too
big.' Page 130, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Iron Hills
This song appeared to please Thorin, and he smiled again and grew merry; and he began reckoning the distance to the Iron Hills and how long it would be before Dain could reach the Lonely Mountain, if he had set out as soon as the message reached him. But Bilbo's heart fell, both at the song and the talk: they sounded much too warlike. Page 241, The Gathering Of The Clouds, i]The Hobbit[/i] (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kings
They built the merry town of Dale there in those days. Kings used to send for our smiths, and reward even the least skilful most richly. Page 21-22, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

King Bard
'King Bard! King Bard!' they shouted; but the Master ground his chattering teeth. Page 231, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

King of All Birds
...And so they parted. And though the lord of the eagles became in after days the King of All Birds and wore a golden crown, and his fifteen chieftains golden collars (made of the gold that the dwarves gave them), Bilbo never saw them again-except high and far off in the battle of Five Armies. But as that comes in at the end of this tale we will say no more about it just now. Page 104, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

King of the Elves of the Wood
...Probably most of them would have perished in the winter that now hurried after autumn, if help had not been to hand. But help came swiftly; for Bard at once had speedy messengers sent up the river to the Forest to ask the aid of the King of the Elves of the Wood, and these messengers had found a host already on the move, although it was then only the third day after the fall of Smaug. Page 233, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

King under the Mountain
...Anyway they grew immensely rich and famous, and my grandfather was King under the Mountain again and treated with great reverence by the mortal men, who lived to the South, and were gradually spreading up the Running River as far as the valley overshadowed by the Mountain.... Page 21, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Lake-men
'Very well, very well,' they answered rolling the barrels to the opening. 'On your head be it, if the king's full butter-tubs and his best
wine is pushed into the river for the Lake-men to feast on for nothing!' Page 168, Barrels Out Of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Lake-people
The old Master had come to a bad end. Bard had given him much gold for the help of the Lake-people, but being of the kind that easily catches such disease he fell under the dragon-sickness, and took most of the gold and fled with it, and died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions. Page 278, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
Lake-town
Hiding behind one of the largest barrels Bilbo discovered the trapdoors and their use, and lurking there, listening to the talk of the king's servants, he learned how the wine and other goods came up the rivers, or over land, to the Long Lake.... Page 163, Barrels Out Of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Land Beyond, the
'Good heavens!' he exclaimed. 'I seem to have got right to the other side of the Misty Mountains, right to the edge of the Land Beyond! Where and O where can Gandalf and the dwarves have got to? I only hope to goodness they are not still back there in the power of the goblins!' Page 84, Out Of The Frying-Pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Lands over West, the
...'We did not mean to. They surprised us at night in a pass which we had to cross, we were coming out of the Lands over West into these countries - it is a long tale.' Page 110, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Last Homely House, the
They asked him where he was making for, and he answered: 'You are come to the very edge of the Wild, as some of you may know. Hidden somewhere ahead of us is the fair valley of Rivendell where Elrond lives in the Last Homely House. I sent a message by my friends, and we are
expected.' Page 43, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Lazy Lob
Lazy Lob and crazy Cob
are weaving webs to wind me.
I am far more sweet than other meat,
but still they cannot find me!

Here am I, naughty little fly;
you are fat and lazy.
You cannot trap me, though you try,
in your cobwebs crazy.
Page 148, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Light-elves
...There the Light-elves and the Deep-elves and the Sea-elves went and lived for ages, and grew fairer and wiser and more learned, and invented their magic and their cunning craft, in the making of beautiful and marvellous things, before some came back into the Wide World. Page 155, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Lone-lands, the
...Then they came to lands where people spoke strangely, and sang songs Bilbo had never heard before. Now they had gone on far into the Lone-lands, where there were no people left, no inns, and the roads grew steadily worse.... Page 29, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Long Marshes
...Stick to the forest-track, keep your spirits up, hope for the best, and with a tremendous slice of luck you may come out one day and see the Long Marshes lying below you, and beyond them, high in the East, the Lonely Mountain where dear old Smaug lives, though I hope he is not expecting you.' Page 128, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Gandalf)

Lonely Mountain, the
'Of course not!' said Balin. 'That is only the beginning of the Misty Mountains, and we have to get through, or over, or under those somehow, before we can come into Wilderland beyond. And it is a deal of a way even from the other side of them to the Lonely Mountain in the East
Where Smaug lies on our treasure.' Page 42, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Longbeards
'Durin, Durin!' said Thorin. 'He was the father of the fathers of the eldest race of Dwarves, the Longbeards, and my first ancestor: I am his heir.' Page 50, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Long Lake
'Indeed I will,' said Thorin, and he fastened it upon a fine chain that hung about his neck and under his jacket.
'Now things begin to look more hopeful. This news alters them much for the better. So far we have had no clear idea what to do. We thought of going East, as quiet and careful as we could, as far as the Long Lake... Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Lord of the Eagles, the
'What's all this uproar in the forest tonight?' said the Lord of the Eagles. He was sitting, black in the moonlight, on the top of a lonely pinnacle of rock at the eastern edge of the mountains. 'I hear wolves' voices! Are the goblins at mischief in the woods?' Page 96, Out Of The Frying-Pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Lord Smaug the Impenetrable
'I might have guessed it,' said Bilbo. 'Truly there can nowhere be found the equal of Lord Smaug the Impenetrable. What magnificence to possess a waistcoat of fine diamonds!' Page208, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Lower Halls
'There is one point that you haven't noticed,' said the wizard, 'and that is the secret entrance. You see that rune on the West side, and the hand pointing to it from the other runes? That marks a hidden passage to the Lower Halls.' Page 19, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Luckwearer
'I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider,' went on Bilbo beginning to be pleased with his riddling. Page 205, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover).

Lumme
'What is it?' said the others coming up.
'Lumme, if I knows! What are yer?'
'Bilbo Baggins, a bur' a hobbit,' said poor Bilbo, shaking all over, and wondering how to make owl-noises before they throttled him. Page 34, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
Last edited by Drifa on Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Hobbit

Elrond
He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer. Page 49, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The Lord of the Rings

Bregalad
Bregalad stood for some time surveying the hobbits solemnly; and they looked at him, wondering when he would show any signs of 'hastiness'. He was tall, and seemed to be one of the younger Ents; he had smooth shining skin on his arms and legs; his lips were ruddy, and his hair was grey-green. Page 482, Treebeard, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Death Down
Men believed that the orcs whom they had slain were buried there; but whether those who had fled into the wood were with them, none could say, for no man ever set foot upon that hill. The Death Down it was afterwards called, and no grass would grow there. Page 553, The Road to Isengard, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Men of Dunland
The men of Dunland were amazed; for Saruman had told them that the men of Rohan were cruel and burned their captives alive. Page 545, The Road to Isengard, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Old Entish
"Real names tell you the story of the things they belong to in my language, in the Old Entish as you might say. It is a lovely language, but it takes a very long time to say anything in it, because we do not say anything in it, unless it is work taking a long time to say, and to listen to." (Treebeard) Page 465, Treebeard, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Theoden
The hobbits bowed low. 'So that is the King of Rohan!' said Pippin in an undertone. 'A fine old fellow. Very polite.' Page 559, The Road to Isengard, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Khazad Elder
Autumn
They had thought of coming to the secret door in the Lonely Mountain, perhaps that very next first moon of Autumn - and perhaps it will be Durin's Day' they had said. Page 52, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

conies
'What! a furrier, a man that calls rabbits conies, when he doesn't turn their skins into squirrels?' asked Bilbo. Page 107, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Christmas tree
...File and Kili were at the top of a tall larch like an enormous Christmas tree.... Page 92, Out Of The Frying-pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

East
...'Indeed I will,' said Thorin, and he fastened it upon a fine chain that hung about his neck and under his jacket. 'Now things begin to look more hopeful. This news alters them much for the better. So far we have had no clear idea what to do. We thought of going East, as quiet and careful as we could, as far as the Long Lake. After that the trouble would begin - '... Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

furrier
'What! a furrier, a man that calls rabbits conies, when he doesn't turn their skins into squirrels?' asked Bilbo. Page 107, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Good People
'Hush, hush! Good People! and good night!' said Gandalf, who came last. 'Valleys have ears, and some elves have over-merry tongues. Good night!' Page 47, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

King beneath the Mountain, the
...'The King beneath the Mountain!' they shouted. 'His wealth is like the Sun, his silver like a fountain, his rivers golden run! The river is running
gold from the Mountain!' they cried, and everywhere windows were opening and feet were hurrying.... Page 226, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Master
...But who knows how Gollum came by that present, ages ago in the old days when such rings were still at large in the world? Perhaps even the Master who ruled them could not have said....Page 75, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Merry People
'Well, Merry People!' said Bilbo looking out. 'What time by the moon is this? Your lullaby would waken a drunken dragon! Yet I thank you.' Page 273, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mill, great
To the end of his days Bilbo could never remember how he found himself outside, without a hat, walking stick or any money, or anything that he usually took when he went out; leaving his second breakfast half finished and quite unwashed-up, pushing his keys into Gandalf's hands, and running as fast as his furry feet could carry him down the lane, past the great Mill, across The Water, and then on for a whole mile or more. Very puffed he was, when he got to Bywater just on the stroke of eleven, and found he had come without a pocket-handkerchief! Page 28, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mines of Moria
...Dwarves had not passed that way for many years, but Gandalf had, and he knew how evil and danger had grown and thriven in the Wild, since the dragons had driven men from the lands, and the goblins had spread in secret after the battle of the Mines of Moria.... Page 52, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mirkwood
'Well, here is Mirkwood!' said Gandalf. 'The greatest of the forests of the Northern world. I hope you like the look of it. Now you must send back these excellent ponies you have borrowed.' Page 125-126, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mister Baggins
...O! Where are you going
With beards all a-wagging?
No knowing, no knowing
What brings Mister Baggins,
And Balin and Dwalin
down into the valley
in June
ha! ha!
... Page 45, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Misty Mountains
Now Gandalf led the way. 'We must not miss the road, or we shall be done for,' he said. 'We need food, for one thing, and rest in reasonable safety-also it is very necessary to tackle the Misty Mountains by the proper path, or else you will get lost in them, and have to come back and start at the beginning again (if you ever get back at all).' Page 42-43, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Moon-letters
'Moon-letters are rune-letters, but you cannot see them,' said Elrond, 'not when you look straight at them. They can only be seen when the moon shines behind them, and what is more, with the more cunning sort it must be a moon of the same shape and season as the day when they were written. The dwarves invented them and wrote them with silver pens, as your friends could tell you. These must have been written on a
midsummer's eve in a crescent moon, a long while ago.' Page 49, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Moria
'Your grandfather,' said the wizard slowly and grimly, 'gave the map to his son for safety before he went to the mines of Moria. Your father went away to try his luck with the map after your grandfather was killed; and lots of adventures of a most unpleasant sort he had, but he never got near the Mountain. How he got there I don't know, but I found him a prisoner in the dungeons of the Necromancer.' Page 24, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mr. Bilbo Baggins
'Yes, yes, my dear sir! - and I do know your name, Mr. Bilbo Baggins. And you do know my name, though you don't remember that I belong to it. I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me! To think that I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door!' Page 5, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mrs. Bungo Baggins
... Not that Belladonna Took ever had any adventures after she became Mrs. Bungo Baggins.... Page 3, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mr. Invisible Baggins
...until in fact the remarkable Mr. Invisible Baggins (of whom he began to have a very high opinion indeed) had altogether failed to think of something clever. Page 162, Barrels Out Of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Moneybags
... And people further off took up the cry: 'Up the Bowman, and down with Moneybags,' till the clamour echoed along the shore. Page 231, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mountain-king's
The streams shall run in gladness,
The lakes shall shine and burn,
And sorrow fail and sadness
At the Mountain-king's return!
... Page 182, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Murderers
'Murderers and elf-friends!' the Great Goblin shouted. 'Slash them! Beat them! Bite them! Gnash them! Take them away to dark holes full of snakes, and never let them see the light again!' He was in such a rage that he jumped off his seat and himself rushed at Thorin with his mouth
open. Page 59, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Museum
...His coat of mail was arranged on a stand in the hall (until he lent it to a Museum).... Page 277, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mutton
'Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrer,' said one of the trolls.... Pate 32-33, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
Nain
'We are sent from Dain son of Nain,' they said when questioned. 'We are hastening to our kinsmen in the Mountain, since we learn that
the kingdom of old is renewed. But who are you that sit in the plain as foes before defended walls?' Page 255, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

necklace of Girion, Lord of Dale, the
...the necklace of Girion, Lord of Dale, made of five hundred emeralds green as grass, which he gave for the arming of his eldest son in a coat of dwarf-linked rings the like of which had never been made before, for it was wrought of pure silver to the power and strength of triple steel.... Page 215, Inside Information, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Necromancer
'We have long ago paid the goblins of Moria,' said Thorin; 'we must give a thought to the Necromancer.'... Page 25, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

New Year
'The first day of the dwarves' New Year,' said Thorin, 'is as all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of
Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together. But this will not help us much, I fear, for it
passes our skill in these days to guess when such a time will come again.' Page 50, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Night
Sing all ye joyful, now sing all together?
The wind's in the free-top, the wind's in the heather;
The stars are in blossom, the moon is in flower,
And bright are the windows of Night in her tower.
Page 273, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

North
...There were lots of dragons in the North in those days, and gold was probably getting scarce up there, with the dwarves flying south or getting killed, and all the general waste and destruction that dragons make going from bad to worse.... Page 22, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oakenshield, Thorin
Then they hung up two yellow hoods and a pale green one; and also a sky-blue one with a long silver tassel. This last belonged to Thorin,
an enormously important dwarf, in fact no other than the great Thorin Oakenshield himself, who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo's
mat with Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur on top of him.... Page 10, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

O Barrel-rider
'Very well, O Barrel-rider!' he said aloud. 'Maybe Barrel was your pony's name; and maybe not, though it was fat enough. You may walk unseen, but you did not walk all the way. Let me tell you I ate six ponies last night and I shall catch and eat all the others before long. In return for the excellent meal I will give you one piece of advice for your good: don't have more to do with dwarves than you can help!' Page 205, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

O Bilbo the Magnificent
'I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Magnificent!' said the king gravely. 'And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)! Farewell!' Page 269, The Return Journey, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Old fool
'Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering!' exclaimed Bilbo aloud, but what he thought inside was: 'Old fool! Why there is a large patch in the hollow of his left breast as bare as a snail out of its shell!' Page 208, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Old Smaug
'It may have been secret once,' said Thorin, 'but how do we know that it is secret any longer? Old Smaug had lived there long enough now to find out anything there is to know about those caves.' Page 19, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover

Old Tomnoddy
...Old Tomnoddy, all big body,
Old Tomnoddy can't spy me!
Attercop! Attercop!
Down you drop!
You'll never catch me up your tree!...
Page 147, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Old Took
...He had not been down that way under The Hill for ages and ages, not since his friend the Old Took died, in fact, and the hobbits had almost forgotten what he looked like.... Page 3, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

O Smaug the unassessably wealthy
'I tell you,' he said, in an effort to remain loyal to his friends and to keep his end up, 'that gold was only an afterthought with us. We came over hill and under hill, by wave and win, for Revenge. Surely, O Smaug the unassessably wealthy, you must realize that your success has made
you some bitter enemies?' Page 207, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

O Smaug the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities
'Truly songs and tales fall utterly short of the reality, O Smaug the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities,' replied Bilbo.... Page 204, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

O Smaug the Mighty
'You don't know everything, O Smaug the Mighty,' said he. 'Not gold alone brought us hither.' Page 206, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

O Smaug the Tremendous
'No thank you, O Smaug the. Tremendous!' he replied. 'I did not come for presents. I only wished to have a look at you and see if you were
truly as great as tales say. I did not believe them.' Page 204, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

O Thorin Thrain's son Thror's son
'Certainly, O Thorin Thrain's son Thror's son!' was what he said. 'You must claim your own. The hour is at hand, spoken of old. What help we can offer shall be yours, and we trust to your gratitude when your kingdom is regained.' Page 185, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Master, the)

old Worm's, the
"I think you did very well, if you ask me - you found out one very useful thing at any rate, and got home alive, and that is more than most can say who have had words with the likes of Smaug. It may be a mercy and a blessing yet to know of the bare patch in the old Worm's
diamond waistcoat." Page 213, Inside Information, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover) (Balin)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Presumed Dead
...In short Bilbo was 'Presumed Dead,' and not everybody that said so was sorry to find the presumption wrong. Page 276, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Poor Old Baggins
He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves; and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy to the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long. Page 277, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Ravenhill
...They made their first camp on the western side of the great southern spur, which ended in a height called Ravenhill. On this there had been an old watch-post; but they dared not climb it yet, it was too exposed.... Page 187, On The Doorstep, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Revenge
'I tell you,' he said, in an effort to remain loyal to his friends and to keep his end up, 'that gold was only an afterthought with us. We came over hill and under hill, by wave and win, for Revenge. Surely, O Smaug the unassessably wealthy, you must realize that your success has made
you some bitter enemies?' Page 207, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Rivendell
'I went on to spy out our road. It will soon become dangerous and difficult. Also I was anxious about replenishing our small stock of provisions. I had not gone very far, however, when I met a couple of friends of mine from Rivendell.' Page 41, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

River Running
...They made north-west, slanting away from the River Running, and drawing ever nearer and nearer to a great spur of the Mountain that was flung out southwards towards them.... Page 186, On The Doorstep, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Sackville-Bagginses
...Bilbo's cousins the Sackville-Bagginses were, in fact, busy measuring his rooms to see if their own furniture would fit.... Page 276, The Last Stage,The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Sale
...The people who had got specially good bargains at the Sale took a deal of convincing; and in the end to save time Bilbo had to buy back quite a lot of his own furniture.... Page 276-277, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Sea-elves
...There the Light-elves and the Deep-elves and the Sea-elves went and lived for ages, and grew fairer and wiser and more learned, and invented their magic and their cunning craft, in the making of beautiful and marvellous things, before some came back into the Wide World.... Page 155, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Side-door
... That is why I settled on burglary - especially when I remembered the existence of a Side-door... Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Gandalf)

skin-changer
'Yes it certainly is! No I could not! And I was explaining very carefully,' answered the wizard crossly. 'If you must know more, his name is Beorn. He is very strong, and he is a skin-changer.' Page 106, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Smaug the Dreadful
'Thorin!' he cried aloud. 'What next? We are armed, but what good has any armour ever been before against Smaug the Dreadful? This treasure is not yet won back. We are not looking for gold yet, but for a way of escape; and we have tempted luck too long!' Page 220, Not At Home, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

South
In spite of the dangers of this far land bold men had of late been making their way back into it from the South, cutting down trees, and building themselves places to live in among the more pleasant woods in the valleys and along the river-shores... Page 94, Out Of The Frying-pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Sssss
'Sssss,' said Gollum, and became quite polite. 'Praps ye sits here and chats with it a bitsy, my preciousss. It like riddles, praps it does, does it?' Page 67, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Sting
'I will give you a name,' he said to it, 'and I shall call you Sting.' Page 144, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Sun
...'The King beneath the Mountain!' they shouted. 'His wealth is like the Sun, his silver like a fountain, his rivers golden run! The river is running
gold from the Mountain!' they cried, and everywhere windows were opening and feet were hurrying.... Page 226, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Thief in the Shadows
...Then I was but young and tender. Now I am old and strong, strong strong. Thief in the Shadows!' he gloated.... Page 208, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Smaug)
Last edited by Drifa on Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ents
'Round and round the rock of Orthanc the Ents went striding and storming like a howling gale, breaking pillars, hurling avalanches of boulders down the shafts, tossing up huge slabs of stone into the air like leaves. The tower was in the middle of a spinning whirlwind. I saw iron posts and blocks of masonry go rocketing up hundreds of feet, and smash against the windows of Orthanc.' (Pippin) Page 568, Flotsam and Jetsam, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Master Wormtongue
'Nay, Eomer, you do not fully understand the mind of Master Wormtongue,' said Gandalf, turning his piercing glance upon him. 'He is bold and cunning. Even now he plays a game with peril and wins a throw. Hours of my precious time he has wasted already. Down, snake!' Page 520, The King of the Golden Hall, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012).

Hama
'The staff in the hand of a wizard may be more than a prop for age,' said Hama. He looked hard at the ash-staff on which Gandalf leaned. 'Yet in doubt a man of worth will trust to his own wisdom. I believe you are friends and folk worthy of honour, who have no evil purpose. You may go in.' Page 511, The King of the Golden Hall, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

In the afternoon the King's company prepared to depart. The work of burial was then but beginning; and Theoden mourned for the loss of Hama, his captain, and cast the first earth upon his grave. Page 545, The Road to Isengard, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Isengard
'Though Isengard be strong and hard, as cold as stone and bare as bone,
We go, we go, we go to war, to hew the stone and break the door!'
Page 565, Flotsam and Jetsam, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Orthanc
This was Orthanc, the citadel of Saruman, the name of which had (by design or chance) a twofold meaning; for in the Elvish speech orthanc signifies Mount Fang, but in the language of the Mark of old the Cunning Mind. Page 555, The Road to Isengard, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Palantir
'Dangerous indeed, but not to all,' said Aragorn. 'There is one who may claim it by right. For this assuredly is the palantir of Orthanc from the treasury of Elendil, set here by the Kings of Gondor. Now my hour draws near. I will take it.' Page 594, The Palantir, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Saruman
'The last is most likely, if you can ride to his door with a light heart,' said Gandalf. 'But there is no knowing what he can do, or may choose to try. A wild beast cornered is not safe to approach. And Saruman has powers you do not guess. Beware of his voice!' Page 577, The Voice of Saruman, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Khazad Elder
Thrain the Old
...It had been discovered by my far ancestor, Thrain the Old, but now they mined and they tunnelled and they made huger halls and greater workshops - and in addition I believe they found a good deal of gold and a great many jewels too.... Page 22, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

The Hill
The dark came into the room from the little window that opened in the side of The Hill; the firelight flickered - it was April - and still they played
on, while the shadow of Gandalf's beard wagged against the wall. Page 14, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

The Water
'Good morning!' he said at last. 'We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water.' By this he meant that the conversation was at an end...Page 6, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Thorin
...Then they hung up two yellow hoods and a pale green one; and also a sky-blue one with a long silver tassel. This last belonged to Thorin,
an enormously important dwarf, in fact no other than the great Thorin Oakenshield himself, who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo's
mat with Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur on top of him.... Page 11, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Thorin & Co.
"We have the honour to remain
"Yours deeply
"Thorin & Co."
Page 29, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Thror
"What else do you suppose a burglar is to do?" asked Bilbo angrily. "I was not engaged to kill dragons, that is warrior's work, but to steal treasure. I made the best beginning I could. Did you expect me to trot back with the whole hoard of Thror on my back?... Page 205, Inside Information The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Tom
"There's more to come yet," said Tom, "or I'm mighty mistook. Lots and none at all, it is," said he. "No burrahobbits, but lots of these here
dwarves. That's about the shape of it!" Page 37, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Took
...It was often said (in other families) that long ago one of the Took ancestors must have taken a fairy wife. That was, of course, absurd, but certainly there was still something not entirely hobbit-like about them, - and once in a while members of the Took-clan would go and have adventures.... Page 4, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Tookish
...Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.... Page 16, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

trolls
...But they were trolls. Obviously trolls. Even Bilbo, in spite of his sheltered life, could see that: from the great heavy faces of them, and their size, and the shape of their legs, not to mention their language, which was not drawing-room fashion at all, at all. Page 34, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Trolls' lair
"He is a liar, O truly tremendous one!" said one of the drivers. "Several of our people were struck by lightning in the cave, when we invited these creatures to come below; and they are as dead as stones. Also he has not explained this!" He held out the sword which Thorin had
worn, the sword which came from the Trolls' lair. Page 61, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Trolls' purse
It was! Trolls' purses are the mischief, and this was no exception. "'Ere, 'oo are you?" it squeaked, as it left the pocket; and William turned
round at once and grabbed Bilbo by the neck, before he could duck behind the tree. Page 35, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Under-hill
You will hardly believe it, but poor Bilbo was really very taken aback. So far all his thoughts and energies had been concentrated on getting to the Mountain and finding the entrance. He had never bothered to wonder how the treasure was to be removed, certainly never how any part of it that might fall to his share was to be brought back all the way to Bag-End Under-Hill. Page 210, Inside Information The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Wain
...Only from the map did Bilbo know that away up there, where the stars of the Wain were already twinkling, the Running River came down into the lake from Dale and with the Forest River filled with deep waters what must once have been a great deep rocky valley.... Page 176, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Wargs
But even the wild Wargs (for so the evil wolves over the Edge of the Wild were named) cannot climb trees. For a time they were safe.... Page 95, Out Of The Frying-pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Warrior
'That would be no good,' said the wizard, 'not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neighbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply lot to be found....Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Waste, the
The old Master had come to a bad end. Bard had given him much gold for the help of the Lake-people, but being of the kind that easily catches such disease he fell under the dragon-sickness, and took most of the gold and fled with it, and died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions. Page 280, The Last Stage, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

West
...Far, far away in the West, where things were blue and faint, Bilbo knew there lay his own country of safe and comfortable things, and his little hobbit-hole. He shivered.... Page 51, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Western Land
...But I am afraid he was not thinking much of the job, but of what lay beyond the blue distance, the quiet Western Land and the Hill and his hobbit-hole under it. Page 193, On The Doorstep, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Wide World
...There the Light-elves and the Deep-elves and the Sea-elves went and lived for ages, and grew fairer and wiser and more learned, and invented their magic and their cunning craft, in the making of beautiful and marvellous things, before some came back into the Wide World.... Page 155, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Winter
'The first day of the dwarves' New Year,' said Thorin, 'is as all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of
Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together. But this will not help us much, I fear, for it
passes our skill in these days to guess when such a time will come again.' Page 50, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Withered Heath
'I don't see that this will help us much,' said Thorin disappointedly after a glance. 'I remember the Mountain well enough and the lands about it. And I know where Mirkwood is, and the Withered Heath where the great dragon bred.'...Page 19, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Wood-elves
The feasting people were Wood-elves, of course. These are not wicked folk. If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers.... Page 156, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Worm of Dread
Under the Mountain dark and tall
The King has come unto his hall!
His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread,
And ever so his foes shall fall.
... Page 242, The Gathering Of The Clouds, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Yer
"And can yer cook 'em?" said Tom.
"Yer can try," said Bert, picking up a skewer. Page 35, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Your Magnificence
After he had seen that Mr. Baggins' one idea was to get away. "Well, I really must not detain Your Magnificence any longer," he said, "or keep you from much needed rest. Ponies take some catching, I believe, after a long start. And so do burglars," he added as a parting shot, as he darted back and fled up the tunnel. Page 211, Inside Information, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Yule-tide
...Anyway by mid-winter Gandalf and Bilbo had come all the way back, along both edges of the Forest, to the doors of Beorn's house; and there for a while they both stayed. Yule-tide was warm and merry there; and men came from far and wide to feast at Beorn's bidding. Page 271, The Return Journey, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Candles of corpses
"Yes they are all around us," he whispered. "The tricksy lights. Candles of corpses, yes, yes. Don't you heed them! Don't look! Don't follow them! Where's the master?" (Gollum) Page 627, The Passage of the Marshes, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Dead Marshes
"There are dead things, dead faces in the water," he said with horror. "Dead faces!" (Sam)
Gollum laughed. "The Dead Marshes, yes, yes: that is their name," he cackled. Pages 627-628, The Passage of the Marshes, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

"Yes, yes," said Gollum. "All dead, all rotten. Elves and Men and Orcs. The Dead Marshes. There was a great battle long ago, yes, so they told him when Smeagol was young, when I was young before the Precious came." Page 628, The Passage of the Marshes, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Dark Tower
"Delay plays into the Enemy's hands - and here I am: delayed. Is it the will of the Dark Tower that steers us? All of my choices have proved ill." (Frodo) Page 604, The Taming of Smeagol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Elf-Country
"Smeagol smells it!" he said. "Leaves out of the Elf-country, gah! They stinks." Page 622, The Passage of the Marshes, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Emyn Muil
It was the third evening since they had fled from the Company, as far as they could tell: they had almost lost count of the hours during which they had climbed and laboured among the barren slopes and stones of the Emyn Muil,... Page 603, The Taming of Smeagol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Five Wizards
"Later! Yes, when you also have the Keys of Barad-dur itself, I suppose; and the crowns of the seven kings, and the rods of the Five Wizards, and have purchased yourself a pair of boots many sizes larger than those that you wear now." (Saruman) Page 583, The Voice of Saruman, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Gollum
"Grrr! Those eyes did give me a turn! But perhaps we've shaken him off at last, the miserable slinker. Gollum! I'll give him gollum in his throat, if ever I get my hands on his neck." (Sam) Page 604, The Taming of Smeagol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Great Sea
They had come to the desolation that lay before Mordor: the lasting monument to the dark labour of its slaves that should endure when all their purposes were made void; a land defiled, diseased beyond all healing - unless the Great Sea should enter and wash it with oblivion. Pages 631-632, The Passage of the Marshes, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Keys of Barad-dur
"Later! Yes, when you also have the Keys of Barad-dur itself, I suppose; and the crowns of the seven kings, and the rods of the Five Wizards, and have purchased yourself a pair of boots many sizes larger than those that you wear now." (Saruman) Page 583, The Voice of Saruman, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Mordor
"Mordor!" he muttered under his breath. "If I must go there, I wish I could come there quickly and make an end!' (Frodo) Pages 603-604 The Taming of Smeagol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Precious
"Smeagol will swear never, never, to let Him have it. Never! Smeagol will save it. But he must swear on the Precious." (Gollum) Page 618, The Taming of Smeagol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

White Face
"Curse the White Face! And they tell Him everything. He sees, He knows." (Gollum) Page 630, The Passage of the Marshes, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Wraiths on wings
"Wraiths!" he wailed. "Wraiths on wings! The Precious is their master. They see everything, everything. Nothing can hide from them." (Gollum) Page 630, The Passage of the Marshes, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Yellow Face
"We should be glad to see the Sun," said Frodo, "but we will stay here: we are too tired to go any further at present."
"You are not wise to be glad of the Yellow Face," said Gollum. "It shows you up." Page 621, The Passage of the Marshes, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Khazad Elder
The Fellowship Of The Ring

Adelard Took
Inside in the hall there was piled a large assortment of packages and parcels and small articles of furniture. On every item there was a label tied. There were several labels of this sort:
For ADELARD TOOK, for his VERY OWN, from Bilbo, on an umbrella. Adelard had carried off many unlabelled ones. ...
Angelica
For ANGELICA’S use, from Uncle Bilbo, on a round convex mirror. She was a young Baggins, and too obviously considered her face shapely. Page 48, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Adventure
Bilbo Baggins had made the words, to a tune that was as old as the hills, and taught it to Frodo as they walked in the lanes of the Water-valley and talked about Adventure. Page 102, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

...an adventure which later involved all the Hobbits in the great events of that Age that are here related. Page 1, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Aiglos
...I was at the Battle of Dagorlad before the Black Gate of Mordor, where we had the mastery: for the Spear of Gil-galad and the Sword of Elendil, Aiglos and Narsil, none could withstand.... Page 318, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Elrond)

Amon Sul
...But long before, in the first days of the North Kingdom, they built a great watch-tower on Weathertop, Amon Sul they called it.... Page 244, A Knife In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Strider)

Anárion
...Then Elendil the Tall and his mighty sons, Isildur and Anárion, became great lords; and the North-realm they made in Arnor, and the South-realm in Gondor above the mouths of Anduin.... Page 318, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Ancalagon the Black
...Not even the anvils and furnaces of the Dwarves could do that. It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself. Page 80, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Gandalf)

Ancient Tongue
‘Be careful, friends!’ cried Gildor laughing. ‘Speak no secrets! Here is a scholar in the Ancient Tongue. Bilbo was a good master. Hail, Elf-friend!’ he said, bowing to Frodo. Page 107, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Anduin
...It is clear, nonetheless, from these legends, and from the evidence of their peculiar words and customs, that like many other folk Hobbits had in the distant past moved westward. Their earliest tales seem to glimpse a time when they dwelt in the upper vales of Anduin, between the eaves of Greenwood the Great and the Misty Mountains. Page 3, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Andúril
...And Aragorn gave it a new name and called it Andúril, Flame of the West. Page 363, The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Angmar
...While there was still a king they were in name his subjects, but they were, in fact, ruled by their own chieftains and meddled not at all with events in the world outside. To the last battle at Fornost with the Witch-lord of Angmar they sent some bowmen to the aid of the king, or so they maintained, though no tales of Men record it... Page 6, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Hobbits)

Annúminas
...'In the North after the war and the slaughter of the Gladden Fields the Men of Westernesse were diminished, and their city of Annúminas beside Lake Evendim fell into ruin; and the heirs of Valandil removed and dwelt at Fornost on the high North Downs, and that now too is desolate.... Page 320, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Elrond)

Appledore
...The Men of Bree seemed all to have rather botanical (and to the Shire-folk rather odd) names, like Rushlight, Goatleaf, Heathertoes, Appledore, Thistlewool and Ferny (not to mention Butterbur).... Page 205, At The Sign Of The Prancing Pony, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Aragorn
...And my search would have been in vain, but for the help that I had from a friend: Aragorn, the greatest traveller and huntsman of this age of the world.... Page 77, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Gandalf)

Aragorn son of Arathorn
'But I am the real Strider, fortunately,' he said, looking down at them with his face softened by a sudden smile. 'I am Aragorn son of Arathorn; and if by life or death I can save you, I will.' Page 226, Strider, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Archet
...Besides Bree itself, there was Staddle on the other side of the hill, Combe in a deep valley a little further eastward, and Archet on the edge of the Chetwood.... Page 197, At The Sign Of The Prancing Pony, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Argonath
'So it has been for many lives of men. But the Lords of Minas Tirith still fight on, defying our enemies, keeping the passage of the River from Argonath to the Sea.... Page 321, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Elrond)

Arnor
...And in those days also they forgot whatever languages they had used before, and spoke ever after the Common Speech, the Westron as it was named, that was current through all the lands of the kings from Arnor to Gondor, and about all the coasts of the Sea from Belfalas to Lune. Page 5, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Hobbits)

Arewen
So it was that Frodo saw her whom few mortals had yet seen; Arwen, daughter of Elrond, in whom it was said that the likeness of Luthien had come on earth again; and she was called Undomiel, for she was the Evenstar of her people.... Page 298, Many Meetings, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Arvernien
...It seemed to be the voice of Bilbo chanting verses. Faint at first and then clearer ran the words.
Earendil was a mariner
that tarried in Arvernien;
he built a boat of timber felled
in Nimbrethil to journey in;
her sails he wove of silver fair,
of silver were her lanterns made,
her prow was fashioned like a swan,
and light upon her banners laid
.... Page 306, Many Meetings, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Asfaloth
'Ride on! Ride on!' cried Glorfindel, and then loud and clear he called to the horse in the elf-tongue: noro lim, noro lim, Asfaloth! Page 280, Flight To The Ford, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Hobbits)

Ash
'And if that is not proof enough, Galdor, there is the other test that I spoke of. Upon this very ring which you have here seen held aloft, round and unadorned, the letters that Isildur reported may still be read, if one has the strength of will to set the golden thing in the fire a while. That I have done, and this I have read:
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul' Page 333, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Gandalf)

Athelas
'It is fortunate that I could find it, for it is a healing plant that the Men of the West brought to Middle-earth. Athelas they named it, and it grows now sparsely and only near places where they dwelt or camped of old; and it is not known in the North, except to some of those who wander in the Wild. It has great virtues, but over such a wound as this its healing powers may be small.' Page 261, Flight To The Ford, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Strider)

Authorities, the
The Authorities, it is true, differ whether this last question was a mere 'question' and not a 'riddle' according to the strict rules of the Game; but all agree that, after accepting it and trying to guess the answer, Gollum was bound by his promise. And Bilbo pressed him to keep his word;... Page 15, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Azanulbizar
'There the Misty Mountains divide, and between their arms lies the deep-shadowed valley which we cannot forget: Azanulbizar, the Dimrill Dale, which the Elves call Nanduhirion.' Page 371-372, The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Gimli)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
jools
‘There’s a tidy bit of money tucked away up there, I hear tell,’ said a stranger, a visitor on business from Michel Delving in the Westfarthing. ‘All the top of your hill is full of tunnels packed with chests of gold and silver, and jools, by what I’ve heard.' Page 30, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Khazad Elder

Ai
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!' Page 432, The Bridge Of Khazad-dûm, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Gandalf)

Amroth
...Amroth beheld the fading shore
Now low beyond the swell,
And cursed the faithless ship that bore
Him far from Nimrodel.
... Page 446, Lothlórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Legolas)

An
An sí Tintallë Varda Oiolossëo
ve fanyar máryat Elentári ortanë,
ar ilyë tier undulávë lumbulë;
ar sindanóriello caita mornië
i falmalinnar imbë met, ar hísië
untúpa Calaciryo míri oialë.
Sí vanwa ná, Rómello vanwa, Valimar!
... Page 496, Farewell To Lórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Galadriel)

Ancient World
...'An evil of the Ancient World it seemed, such as I have never seen before,' said Aragorn. 'It was both a shadow and a flame, strong and terrible.' Page 467, The Mirror Of Galadriel, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Andúnë
Ai! laurië lantar lassi súrinen,
yéni unótimë ve rámar aldaron!
Yéni ve lintë yuldar avánier
mi oromardi lisse-miruvóreva
Andúnë pella, Vardo tellumar
nu luini yassen tintilar i eleni
ómaryo airetári-lírinen.
... Page 496, Farewell To Lórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Galadriel)

Andy
He breathed with relief when he was safely across. 'Live and learn! as my gaffer used to say. Though he was thinking of gardening, not of roosting like a bird, nor of trying to walk like a spider. Not even my uncle Andy ever did a trick like that!' Page 454, Lothlórien, The
Fellowship Of The Ring
(Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Sam)

Angle, the
'As was agreed, I shall here blindfold the eyes of Gimli the Dwarf. The other may walk free for a while, until we come nearer to our dwellings, down in Egladil, in the Angle between the waters.' Page 455, Lothlórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Haldir)

Annon
He stepped up to the rock again, and lightly touched with his staff the silver star in the middle beneath the sign of the anvil.
Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen!
Fennas nogothrim, lasto beth lammen!

he said in a commanding voice. The silver lines faded, but the blank grey stone did not stir. Page 403, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Gandalf)

Anor
'You cannot pass,' he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. 'I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.' 433, The Bridge Of Khazad-dûm, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Gandalf)
Last edited by Drifa on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khazad Elder

Amon Hen
Aragorn led them to the right arm of the River. Here upon its western side under the shadow of Tol Brandir a green lawn ran down to the water from the feet of Amon Hen.... Page 519, The Breaking Of The Fellowship, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Amon Lhaw
'Behold Tol Brandir!' said Aragorn, pointing south to the tall peak. 'Upon the left stands Amon Lhaw, and upon the right is Amon Hen the Hills of Hearing and of Sight. In the days of the great kings there were high seats upon them, and watch was kept there. But it is said that no foot of man or beast has ever been set upon Tol Brandir. Ere the shade of night falls we shall come to them. I hear the endless voice of Rauros calling.' Page 517, The Great River, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bag End
He returned to his home at Bag End on June the 22nd in his fifty-second year (S.R. 1342), and nothing very notable occurred in the Shire until Mr. Baggins began the preparations for the celebration of his hundred-and-eleventh birthday (S.R. 1401). At this point this History begins. Page 18, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Baggins
...In the end, gathering his courage, he leaped over Gollum in the dark, and fled away down the passage, pursued by his enemy's cries of hate and despair: Thief, thief! Baggins! We hates it for ever! Page 16-17, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bandobras Took (Bullroarer)
According to the Red Book, Bandobras Took (Bullroarer), son of Isengrim the Second, was four foot five and able to ride a horse. He was surpassed in all Hobbit records only by two famous characters of old; but that curious matter is dealt with in this book. Page 2, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Barahir
...and there was added to it an abbreviated version of those parts of The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen which lie outside the account of the War. The full tale is stated to have been written by Barahir, grandson of the Steward Faramir, some time after the passing of the King... Page 20, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Battle of Five Armies
...Yet, though before all was won the Battle of Five Armies was fought, and Thorin was slain, and many deeds of renown were done, the matter would scarcely have concerned later history, or earned more than a note in the long annals of the Third Age, but for an 'accident' by the way.... Page 14, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Battle of Greenfields
...The last battle, before this story opens, and indeed the only one that had ever been fought within the borders of the Shire, was beyond living memory: the Battle of Greenfields, S.R. 1147, in which Bandobras Took routed an invasion of Orcs.... Page 7, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Belfalas
...And in those days also they forgot whatever languages they had used before, and spoke ever after the Common Speech, the Westron as it was named, that was current through all the lands of the kings from Arnor to Gondor, and about all the coasts of the Sea from Belfalas to Lune.... Page 5, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bilbo's
Now it is a curious fact that this is not the story as Bilbo first told it to his companions. To them his account was that Gollum had promised to give him a present, if he won the game; but when Gollum went to fetch it from his island he found the treasure was gone: a magic ring, which had been given to him long ago on his birthday..... Page 17, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Blanco
For it was in the one thousand six hundred and first year of the Third Age that the Fallohide brothers, Marcho and Blanco, set out from Bree; and having obtained permission from the high king at Fornost*, they crossed the brown river Baranduin with a great following of Hobbits. Page 5, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bounders
At the time when this story begins the Bounders, as they were called, had been greatly increased. There were many reports and complaints of strange persons and creatures prowling about the borders, or over them: the first sign that all was not quite as it should be, and always had been except in tales and legends of long ago.... Page 14 , Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Brandywine
Thus began the Shire-reckoning, for the year of the crossing of the Brandywine (as the Hobbits turned the name) became Year One of the Shire, and all later dates were reckoned from it.* Page 6, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Brandywine Bridge
Forty leagues it stretched from the Far Downs to the Brandywine Bridge, and fifty from the northern moors to the marshes in the south.... Page 6, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bree
...Most of their earlier settlements had long disappeared and been forgotten in Bilbo's time; but one of the first to become important still endured, though reduced in size; this was at Bree and in the Chetwood that lay round about, some forty miles east of the Shire. Page 5, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bridge of Stonebows
They passed over the Bridge of Stonebows, that had been built in the days of the power of the North Kingdom, and they took all the land beyond to dwell in, between the river and the Far Downs. Page 5-6, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bucklebury
Since Meriadoc and Peregrin became the heads of their great families, and at the same time kept up their connexions with Rohan and Gondor, the libraries at Bucklebury and Tuckborough contained much that did not appear in the Red Book.... Page 20, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bywater
Tongues began to wag in Hobbiton and Bywater; and rumour of the coming event travelled all over the Shire. The history and character of Mr. Bilbo Baggins became once again the chief topic of conversation; and the older folk suddenly found their reminiscences in welcome demand. Page 28, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)
Last edited by Drifa on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Breath
"I am afraid that's true," said Merry, "though I don't know what I said. I had an ugly dream, which I can't remember. I went to pieces. I don't know what came over me."
"I do,' said Strider. "The Black Breath." Page 173, Strider, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Black Hand
"Yes, He has only four on the Black Hand, but they are enough" said Gollum shuddering. "And He hated Isildur's city." Page 641, The Black Gate is Closed, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Ephel Dúath
Upon the west of Mordor marched the gloomy range of Ephel Dúath, the Mountains of Shadow, and upon the north the broker peaks and barren ridges of Ered Lithui, grey as ash. Page 636, The Black Gate is Closed, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Gollum (Slinker and Stinker)
Sam's guess was that the Smeagol and Gollum halves (or what in his own mind he called Slinker and Stinker) had made a truce and a temporary alliance: neither wanted the Enemy to get the Ring; both wished to keep Frodo from capture, and under their eye, as long as possible - at any rate as long as Stinker still had a chance of laying hands on his 'Precious'. Page 638, The Black Gate is Closed, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Teeth of Mordor
Upon them stood the Teeth of Mordor, two towers strong and tall. In days long past they were built by the Men of Gondor in their pride and power, after the overthrow of Sauron and his flight, lest he should seek to return to his old realm. Page 636, The Black Gate is Closed, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Tower of the Moon (Minas Ithil)
"They built very tall towers, and one they raised was silver-white, and in it there was a stone like the Moon, and round it were great white walls. O yes, there were many tales about the Tower of the Moon." (Gollum)
"That would be Minas Ithil that Isildur the son of Elendil build," said Frodo. Page 641, The Black Gate is Closed, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Khazad Elder

Bagshot Row
...The three hobbit-families of Bagshot Row, adjoining the field, were intensely interested and generally envied. Old Gaffer Gamgee stopped even pretending to work in his garden. Page 34, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bilbo's Birthday Party
Some people were rather shocked; but Frodo kept up the custom of giving Bilbo’s Birthday Party year after year until they got used to it. He said that he did not think Bilbo was dead. When they asked: ‘Where is he then?’ he shrugged his shoulders. Page 55-56, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Black Years
‘How, how on earth did it come to me?’ ‘Ah!’ said Gandalf. ‘That is a very long story. The beginnings lie back in the Black Years, which only the lore-masters now remember. If I were to tell you all that tale, we should still be sitting here when Spring had passed into Winter. Page 67, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Blue, the
But in the meantime, the general opinion in the neighbourhood was that Bilbo, who had always been rather cracked, had at last gone quite mad, and had run off into the Blue. There he had undoubtedly fallen into a pool or a river and come to a tragic, but hardly an untimely, end. The blame was mostly laid on Gandalf. Page 55, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Blue Mountain
...There were, however, dwarves on the road in unusual numbers. The ancient East-West Road ran through the Shire to its end at the Grey Havens, and dwarves had always used it on their way to their mines in the Blue Mountains. They were the hobbits’ chief source of news from distant parts – if they wanted any: as a rule dwarves said little and hobbits asked no more.... Page 57, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bracegirdles
‘Ever since Bilbo left I have been deeply concerned about you, and about all these charming, absurd, helpless hobbits. It would be a grievous blow to the world, if the Dark Power overcame the Shire; if all your kind, jolly, stupid Bolgers, Hornblowers, Boffins, Bracegirdles, and the rest, not to mention the ridiculous Bagginses, became enslaved.’ Page 64, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Brandybuck
‘You’ll live to regret it, young fellow! Why didn’t you go too? You don’t belong here; you’re no Baggins – you – you’re a Brandybuck!’ Page 51, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Lobelia)

Brockhouses
My dear Bagginses and Boffins, he began again; and my dear Tooks and Brandybucks, and Grubbs, and Chubbs, and Burrowses, and Hornblowers, and Bolgers, Bracegirdles, Goodbodies, Brockhouses and Proudfoots.... Page38, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bucklebury Ferry
...For Frodo was going on foot. His plan – for pleasure and a last look at the Shire as much as any other reason – was to walk from Hobbiton to Bucklebury Ferry, taking it fairly easy. Page 90-91, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Burrowses
There were many Bagginses and Boffins, and also many Tooks and Brandybucks; there were various Grubbs (relations of Bilbo Baggins’ grandmother), and various Chubbs (connexions of his Took grandfather); and a selection of Burrowses, Bolgers, Bracegirdles, Brockhouses, Goodbodies, Hornblowers and Proudfoots. Page 36-37, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Party Business
A notice appeared on the gate at Bag End: NO ADMITTANCE EXCEPT ON PARTY BUSINESS. Even those who had, or pretended to have Party Business were seldom allowed inside.... Page 34, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)
Last edited by Drifa on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boromir
"Know, little strangers, that Boromir son of Denethor was High Warden of the White Tower, and our Captain-General: sorely do we miss him." (Faramir) Page 658, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Halflings
"The Halflings are courteous folk, whatever else they be," said Faramir. "Farewell!" Page 658, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Mûmak
"Ware! Ware!" cried Damrod to his companion. "May the Valar turn him aside! Mûmak! Mûmak!" Page 661, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Fear and wonder, maybe, enlarged him in the hobbit's eyes, but the Mûmak of Harad was indeed a beast of vast bulk, and the like of him does not walk now in Middle-earth; his kin that live still in latter days are but memories of his girth and majesty. Page 661, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Sam Gamgee
All hobbits, of course, can cook, for they begin to learn the art before their letters (which many never reach); but Sam was a good cook, even by hobbit reckoning, and he had done a good deal of the camp-cooking on their travels, when there was a chance. Page 653, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Southrons
"Aye, curse the Southrons!" said Damrod. "Tis said that there were dealings of old between Gondor and the kingdoms of the Harad in the Far South; though there was never friendship." Page 659, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Taters
"Smeagol won't grub for roots and carrotses and - taters. What's taters, precious, eh, what's taters?" (Gollum)
"Po-ta-toes," said Sam. "The Gaffer's delight, and rare good ballast for an empty belly." Page 654, Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Aragorn
"Because Aragorn is descended in direct lineage, father to father, from Isildur Elendil's son himself. And the sword that he bears was Elendil's sword." (Frodo) Page 664, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Boromir's horn
"One thing only I missed: his horn. One thing only I knew not: a fair belt, as it were of linked golden leaves, about his waist. Boromir! I cried. Where is thy horn? Whither goest thou? O Boromir! But he was gone.” (Faramir) Page 666, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Henneth Annûn
"At least by good chance we came at the right hour to reward you for your patience," said Faramir. "This is the Window of the Sunset, Henneth Annûn, fairest of all the falls of Ithilien, land of many fountains. Few strangers have ever seen it. But there is no kingly hall behind to match it. Enter now and see!" Page 674, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Isildur's Bane
"Now I loved him dearly, and would gladly avenge his death, yet I knew him well. Isildur's Bane - I would hazard that Isildur's Bane lay between you and was a cause of contention in your Company. Clearly it is a mighty heriloom of some sort, and such things do not breed peace among confederates, not if aught may be learned from ancient tales." (Faramir) Page 669, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Men of Númenor
"I love only that which they defend: the city of the Men of Númenor; and I would have her loved for her memory, her ancientry, her beauty, and her present wisdom. Not feared, save as men may fear the dignity of a man, old and wise. (Faramir) Page 672, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Minas Anor
"Minas Anor again as of old, full of light, high and fair, beautiful as a queen among other queens: not a mistress of many slaves, nay, not even a kind mistress of willing slaves." (Faramir) Page 671-672, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Mistress of Magic
"If Men have dealings with the Mistress of Magic who dwells in the Golden Wood, then they may look for strange things to follow. For it is perilous for mortal man to walk out of the world of this Sun, and few of old came thence unchanged, 'tis said. (Faramir) Page 667, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Incánus/Mithrandir/Olórin/Tharkûn
"Mithrandir we called him in elf-fashion," said Faramir, "and he was content. Many are my names in many countries, he said. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Dwaves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not." Page 670, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

White Tree
"For myself," said Faramir, "I would see the White Tree in flower again in the courts of the kings, and the Silver Crown return and Minas Tirith in peace:" Page 671, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Khazad Elder

Old Rory Brandybuck
...Old Rory Brandybuck, in return for much hospitality, got a dozen bottles of Old Winyards: a strong red wine from the Southfarthing, and now quite mature, as it had been laid down by Bilbo’s father. Rory quite forgave Bilbo, and voted him a capital fellow after the first bottle. Page 50, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Old Winyards
‘Whatever happens to the rest of my stuff, when the S.-B.s get their claws on it, at any rate I have found a good home for this!’ said Frodo, as he drained his glass. It was the last drop of Old Winyards. Page 90, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Outside
...Tom was here before the river and the trees; Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn. He made paths before the Big People, and saw the little People arriving. He was here before the Kings and the graves and the Barrow-wights. When the Elves passed westward, Tom was here already, before the seas were bent. He knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless – before the Dark Lord came from Outside.’ Page 173, In The House Of Tom Bombadil, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

S.-B.s
...Suddenly in the distance the S.-B.s appeared, coming towards us. Bilbo slowed down, and then hey presto! he vanished. I was so startled that I hardly had the wits to hide myself in a more ordinary fashion;... Page 138, The Conspiracy Unmasked, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

smelling
‘What about the smelling, sir?’ said Sam. ‘And the Gaffer said he was a black chap.’ Page 101, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bamfurlong
‘I know these fields and this gate!’ he said. ‘This is Bamfurlong, old Farmer Maggot’s land. That’s his farm away there in the trees.’ A Short Cut To Mushrooms, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Pippin)

Barliman Butterbur
'Tom will give you good advice, till this day is over (after that your own luck must go with you and guide you): four miles along the Road you'll come upon a village, Bree under Bree-hill, with doors looking westward. There you'll find an old inn that is called The Prancing Pony. Barliman Butterbur is the worthy keeper. There you can stay the night, and afterwards the morning will speed you upon your way. Be bold, but wary! Keep up your merry hearts, and ride to meet your fortune!' Page 195, Fog On The Barrow-Downs, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Barrow-downs
As the sun rose and passed noon they glimpsed far off in the east the grey-green lines of the Downs that lay beyond the Old Forest on that side. That cheered them greatly; for it was good to see a sight of anything beyond the wood’s borders, though they did not mean to go that way, if they could help it: the Barrow-downs had as sinister a reputation in hobbit-legend as the Forest itself. Page 150, The Old Forest, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Barrow-wights
...Then suddenly he knew that he was imprisoned, caught hopelessly; he was in a barrow. A Barrow-wight had taken him, and he was probably already under the dreadful spells of the Barrow-wights about which whispered tales spoke. Page 185, Fog On The Barrow-Downs, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

black chap
‘What about the smelling, sir?’ said Sam. ‘And the Gaffer said he was a black chap.’ Page 101, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

black fellow
...“Now what in the Shire can he want?” I thought to myself. We don’t see many of the Big Folk over the border; and anyway I had never heard of any like this black fellow. Page 123, A Short Cut To Mushrooms, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Pippin) (farmer Maggot)

Big Folk
...What sort of a fellow was he? says I to the Gaffer. I don’t know, says he; but he wasn’t a hobbit. He was tall and black-like, and he stooped over me. I reckon it was one of the Big Folk from foreign parts. He spoke funny. Page 100, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Big People
‘But what has one of the Big People got to do with us?’ said Pippin. ‘And what is he doing in this part of the world?’ Page 100, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Black Land
'No, I hope not tonight,' answered Tom Bombadil; 'nor perhaps the next day. But do not trust my guess; for I cannot tell for certain. Out east my knowledge fails. Tom is not master of Riders from the Black Land far beyond his country.' Page 194, Fog On The Barrow-Downs, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Black Rider
‘Don’t let us go too far!’ said Frodo. ‘I don’t want to be seen, but I want to see if it is another Black Rider.’ Page 104, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

bollards
...The white bollards near the water’s edge glimmered in the light of two lamps on high posts....Page 129, The Conspiracy Unmasked, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bonfire Glade
‘Well, well!’ he said. ‘These trees do shift. There is the Bonfire Glade in front of us (or I hope so), but the path to it seems to have moved away!’ Page 147, The Old Forest, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Borgil
Away high in the East swung Remmirath, the Netted Stars, and slowly above the mists red Borgil rose, glowing like a jewel of fire.... Page 108, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Brandy Hall
Sometimes, as in the case of the Tooks of Great Smials, or the Brandybucks of Brandy Hall, many generations of relatives lived in (comparative) peace together in one ancestral and many-tunnelled mansion. Page 9-10, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Buck Hill
...Behind loomed up the Buck Hill; and out of it, through stray shrouds of mist, shone many round windows, yellow and red.... Page 129, The Conspiracy Unmasked, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Budgeford in Bridgefields
Fond as he was of Frodo, Fatty Bolger had no desire to leave the Shire, nor to see what lay outside it. His family came from the Eastfarthing, from Budgeford in Bridgefields in fact, but he had never been over the Brandywine Bridge.... Page 142, The Conspiracy Unmasked, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bumpkin
Hey! now! Come hoy now! Whither do you wander?
Up, down, near or far, here, there or yonder?
Sharp-ears, Wise-nose, Swish-tail and Bumpkin,
White-socks my little lad, and old Fatty Lumpkin!
Page 190, Fog On The Barrow-Downs, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)
Last edited by Drifa on Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anborn
He went forward a short way and Anborn came softly behind him.
"Go on!" he breathed in Frodo's ear. "Have a care to your right. If you fall in the pool, then no one but your fishing friend can help you. And forget not that there are bowmen near at hand, though you may not see them." Page 686, The Forbidden Pool, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Boromir
"If it were a thing that gave advantage in battle, I can well believe that Boromir, the proud and fearless, often rash, ever anxious for the victory of Minas Tirith (and his own glory therein), might desire such a thing and be allured by it." (Faramir) Page 671, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Damrod
He soon became aware also that though they walked alone, there were many men close at hand: not only Damrod and Mablung flitting in and out of the shadows ahead, but others on either side, all making their swift secret way to some appointed place. Page 672, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Elvenhome
"For as you may know, if Mithrandir was your companion and you have spoken with Elrond, the Edain, the Fathers of the Númenóreans, fought beside the Elves in the first wars, and was rewarded by the gift of the kingdom in the midst of the Sea, within sight of Elvenhome." (Faramir) Page 679, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Fathers of the Númenóreans
"For as you may know, if Mithrandir was your companion and you have spoken with Elrond, the Edain, the Fathers of the Númenóreans, fought beside the Elves in the first wars, and was rewarded by the gift of the kingdom in the midst of the Sea, within sight of Elvenhome." (Faramir) Page 679, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

fissh
"Fissh, nice fissh. Makes us strong. Makes eyes bright, and fingers tight, yes. Throttle them, precious. Throttle them all, yes, if we gets chances. Nice fissh. Nice fissh!" (Gollum) Page 686, The Forbidden Pool, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Mablung
He called softly and immediately Mablung and Damrod stepped out of the trees and came back to him. "Blindfold these guests," said Faramir. Page 673, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Men of the Twilight
"...and the Middle Peoples, Men of the Twilight, such as are the Rohirrim and their kin that dwell still far in the North; and the Wild, the Men of Darkness." (Faramir) Pages 678-679, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Men of the West
"For so we reckon Men in our lore, calling them the High, or Men of the West, which were Númenóreans;..." (Faramir) Page 678, The Window on the West, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)
Last edited by Boromir88 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

lebethron
"The men of the White Mountains use them; though these have been cut down to your height and newly shod. They are made of the fair tree lebethron, beloved of the woodwrights of Gondor, and a virtue has been set upon them of finding and returning. May that virtue not wholly fail under the Shadow into which you go!" (Faramir) Page 694, Journey to the Cross-roads, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Minas Morgul
"Would you have me come to Gondor with this Thing, the Thing that drove your brother mad with desire? What spell would it work in Minas Tirith? Shall there be two cities of Minas Morgul, grinning at each other across a dead land filled with rottenness?" (Frodo) Page 692, The Forbidden Pool, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Morgulduin
Frodo shuddered as he looked again at the distant pinnacles now dwindling into night, and the sound of the water seemed cold and cruel: the voice of Morgulduin, the polluted stream that flowed from the Valley of the Wraiths. Page 697, Journey to the Cross-roads, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Morgul Valley
"Which way do we go from here?" asked Frodo. "Is that the opening of - of the Morgul Valley, away over there beyond that black mass?" Page 699, Journey to the Cross-roads, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Nice Master
"Nice Master!" said Gollum. "Smeagol was only joking. Always forgives, he does, yes, yes, even nice Master's little trickses. Oh yes, nice Master, nice Smeagol!" Page 696, Journey to the Cross-roadsl, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Tower of Ecthelion
Then Pippin cried aloud, for the Tower of Ecthelion, standing high within the topmost wall, shone out against the sky, glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, tall and fair and shapely, and its pinnacle glittered as if it were wrought of crystals; and white banners broke and fluttered from the battlements in the morning breeze, and high and far he heard a clear ringing as of silver trumpets. Page 751, Minas Tirith, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

vittles
"Maybe," said Sam; "but where there's life there's hope, as my gaffer used to say; and need of vittles, as he mostways used to add. You have a bite, Mr. Frodo, and then a bit of sleep." Page 700, Journey to the Cross-roads, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Battle of the Peak
"There was none to see, or perhaps in after ages songs would still be sung of the Battle of the Peak." Suddenly Gandalf laughed. "But what would they say in song? Those that looked up from afar thought that the mountain was crowned with storm. Thunder they heard, and lightning, they said, smoted upon Celebdil, and leaped back broken into tongues of fire." Page 502, The White Rider, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Lord (King) of the Nine Riders
Before them went a great cavalry of horsemen moving like ordered shadows, and at their head was one greater than all the rest: a Rider, all black, save that on his hooded head he had a helm like a crown that flickered with a perilous light. Now he was drawing near the bridge below, and Frodo's staring eyes followed him, unable to wink or to withdraw. Surely there was the Lord of the Nine Riders returned to earth to lead his ghastly host to battle? Page 706, The Stairs of Cirith Ungol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

"This great array of spears and swords is going to Osgiliath. Will Faramir get across in time? He guessed it, but did he know the hour? And who can now hold the fords when the King of the Nine Riders comes? And other armies will come. I am too late. All is lost." (Frodo) Page 707, The Stairs of Cirith Ungol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

maggot-folk of Mordor
The brief glow fell upon a huge sitting figure, still and solemn as the great stone kings of Argonath. The years had gnawed it, and violent hands had maimed it. Its head was gone, and in its place was set in mockery a round rough-hewn stone, rudely painted by savage hands in the likeness of a grinning face with one large red eye in the midst of its forehead. Upon its knees and mighty chair, and all about the pedestal, were idle scrawls mixed with the foul symbols that the maggot-folk of Mordor used. Page 702, Journey to the Cross-roads, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Minas Ithil
Not the imprisoned moonlight welling through the marble wall of Minas Ithil long ago, Tower of the Moon, fair and radiant in the hollow of the hills. Paler indeed than the moon ailing in some slow eclipse was the light of it now, wavering and blowing like a noisome exhalation of decay, a corpse-light, a light that illuminated nothing. Page 703, The Stairs of Cirith Ungol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Morgul-king
But great as the pressure was, he felt no inclination now to yield to it. He knew that the Ring would only betray him, and that he had not, even if he put it on, the power to face the Morgul-king - not yet. Page 706, The Stairs of Cirith Ungol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Phial of Galadriel
Then his own will stirred; slowly it forced the hand back and set it to find another thing, a thing lying hidden near his breast. Cold and hard it seemed as his grip closed on it: the phial of Galadriel, so long treasured, and almost forgotten till that hour. As he touched it, for a while all thought of the Ring was banished from his mind. Page 707, The Stairs of Cirith Ungol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Straight Stair
"There's another stair still," he (Gollum) said. "Much longer stair. Rest when we get to the top of the next stair. Not yet."
Sam groaned. "Longer, did you say?" he asked.
"Yes, yess, longer" said Gollum. "But not so difficult. Hobbits have climbed the Straight Stair. Next comes the Winding Stair." Page 709, The Stairs of Cirith Ungol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Winding Stair
"There's another stair still," he (Gollum) said. "Much longer stair. Rest when we get to the top of the next stair. Not yet."
Sam groaned. "Longer, did you say?" he asked.
"Yes, yess, longer" said Gollum. "But not so difficult. Hobbits have climbed the Straight Stair. Next comes the Winding Stair." Page 709, The Stairs of Cirith Ungol, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Khazad Elder

Balin
... At last, however, Balin listened to the whispers, and resolved to go; and though Dain did not give leave willingly, he took with him Ori and Oin and many of our folk, and they went away south....Page 315, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Glóin)

Barliman
'"Ass! Fool! Thrice worthy and beloved Barliman!" said I. "It's the best news I have had since midsummer: it's worth a gold piece at the least. May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!" said I. "Now I can take a night's rest, the first since I have forgotten when." Page 346, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Beleriand
Thereupon Elrond paused a while and sighed. 'I remember well the splendour of their banners,' he said. 'It recalled to me the glory of the Elder Days and the hosts of Beleriand, so many great princes and captains were assembled. And yet not so many, nor so fair, as when Thangorodrim was broken, and the Elves deemed that evil was ended for ever, and it was not so.' Page 318, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Beren
'But it is a heavy burden. So heavy that none could lay it on another. I do not lay it on you. But if you take it freely, I will say that your choice is right; and though all the mighty elf-friends of old, Hador, and Hurin, and Turin, and Beren himself were assembled together your seat should be among them.' Page 355, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Elrond)

Bill
'Bill, my lad,' he said, 'you oughtn't to have took up with us. You could have stayed here and et the best hay till the new grass comes.' Bill swished his tail and said nothing. Page 368, The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Sam)

Black Gate
'There is little need to tell of them,' said Aragorn. 'If a man must needs walk in sight of the Black Gate, or tread the deadly flowers of Morgul Vale, then perils he will have. I, too, despaired at last, and I began my homeward journey. And then, by fortune, I came suddenly on what I sought: the marks of soft feet beside a muddy pool.... Page 332, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Black Years
...Out of the Black Years come the words that the Smiths of Eregion heard, and knew that they had been betrayed:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to
bring them all and in the Darkness bind them.
Page 333, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Boromir
'Here,' said Elrond, turning to Gandalf, 'is Boromir, a man from the South. He arrived in the grey morning, and seeks for counsel. I have bidden him to be present, for here his questions will be answered.' Page 314, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

burzum-ishi
'And if that is not proof enough, Galdor, there is the other test that I spoke of. Upon this very ring which you have here seen held aloft, round and unadorned, the letters that Isildur reported may still be read, if one has the strength of will to set the golden thing in the fire a while. That I have done, and this I have read:
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk,
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul..'
Page 333, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Butterbur
'"Butterbur they call him," thought I. "If this delay was his fault, I will melt all the butter in him. I will roast the old fool over a slow fire." He expected no less, and when he saw my face he fell down flat and began to melt on the spot.' Page 345, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Beleriand
"Come! Let us see what Sting can do. It is an elven-blade. There were webs of horror in the dark ravines of Beleriand where it was forged." (Frodo) Page 722, Shelob's Lair, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Doriath
There agelong she had dwelt, an evil thing in spider-form, even such as once of old had lived in the Land of the Elves in the West that is now under the Sea, such as Beren fought in the Mountains of Terror in Doriath, and so came to Luthien upon the green sward amid the hemlocks in the moonlight long ago. Page 723, Shelob's Lair, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

His (Sauron's) cat
And Orcs, they were useful slaves, but he had them in plenty. If now and again Shelob caught them to stay her appetite, she was welcome: he could spare them. And sometimes as a man may cast a dainty to his cat (his cat he calls her, but she owns him not) Sauron would send her prisoners that he had no better uses for:.. Page 724, Shelob's Lair, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Shelob
How Shelob came there, flying from ruin, no tale tells, for out of the Dark Years few tales have come. But still she was there, who was there before Sauron, and before the first stone of Barad-dûr; and she served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness. Page 723, Shelob's Lair, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Shelob the Great
But none could rival her, Shelob the Great, last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world. Page 723, Shelob's Lair, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Shelob's webs
Never yet had any fly escaped from Shelob's webs, and the greater now was her rage and hunger. Page 724, Shelob's Lair, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

star-glass
"The star-glass?" muttered Frodo, as one answering out of sleep, hardly comprehending. "Why yes! Why had I forgotten it? A light when all other lights go out! And now indeed light alone can help up." Page 720, Shelob's Lair, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Sting
"Come! Let us see what Sting can do. It is an elven-blade. There were webs of horror in the dark ravines of Beleriand where it was forged." (Frodo) Page 722, Shelob's Lair, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Torech Ungol
"This is the way in," said Gollum softly. "This is the entrance to the tunnel." He did not speak its name: Torech Ungol, Shelob's Lair. Out of it came a stench, not the sickly odour of decay in the meads of Morgul, but a foul reek, as if filth unnameable were piled and hoarded in the dark within. Page 717,Page 717, Shelob's Lair, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Ungoliant
But none could rival her, Shelob the Great, last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world. Page 723, Shelob's Lair, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt 2012)

Khazad Elder

Balin
'I shall be glad,' said Gimli. 'I have looked on Moria, and it is very great, but it has become dark and dreadful; and we have found no sign of my kindred. I doubt now that Balin ever came here.' Page 418, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bandobras the Bullroarer
'I wish I had taken Elrond's advice,' muttered Pippin to Sam. 'I am no good after all. There is not enough of the breed of Bandobras the Bullroarer in me: these howls freeze my blood. I don't ever remember feeling so wretched.' Page 391, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Barad-dûr, Battle of Five Armies, Balin son of Fundin
'You speak of what you do not know, when you liken Moria to the stronghold of Sauron,' answered Gandalf. 'I alone of you have ever been in the dungeons of the Dark Lord, and only in his older and lesser dwelling in Dol Guldur. Those who pass the gates of Barad-dûr do not return. But I would not lead you into Moria if there were no hope of coming out again. If there are Orcs there, it may prove ill for us, that is true. But most of the Orcs of the Misty Mountains were scattered or destroyed in the Battle of Five Armies. The Eagles report that Orcs are gathering again from afar; but there is a hope that Moria is still free. 'There is even a chance that Dwarves are there, and that in some deep hall of his fathers, Balin son of Fundin may be found. However it may prove, one must tread the path that need chooses!' Page 389, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Baraz
'I need no map,' said Gimli, who had come up with Legolas, and was gazing out before him with a strange light in his deep eyes. 'There is the land where our fathers worked of old, and we have wrought the image of those mountains into many works of metal and of stone, and into many songs and tales. They stand tall in our dreams: Baraz, Zirak, Shathûr. Page 371, The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bearer
'Things have changed since you came north, Boromir,' answered Gandalf. 'Did you not hear what I told you of Saruman? With him I may have business of my own ere all is over. But the Ring must not come near Isengard, if that can by any means be prevented. The Gap of Rohan is closed to us while we go with the Bearer. Page 388, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bill
'But you can't leave poor old Bill behind in this forsaken place, Mr. Gandalf!' cried Sam, angry and distressed. 'I won't have it, and that's flat. After he has come so far and all!' Page 398, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Black Pit, Barazinbar, Bundushathûr
'Only once before have I seen them from afar in waking life, but I know them and their names, for under them lies Khazad-dûm, the Dwarrowdelf, that is now called the Black Pit, Moria in the Elvish tongue. Yonder stands Barazinbar, the Redhorn, cruel Caradhras; and beyond him are Silvertine and Cloudyhead: Celebdil the White, and Fanuidhol the Grey, that we call Zirakzigil and Bundushathûr. Page 371, The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Book of Mazarbul
Gandalf raised his head and looked round. 'They seem to have made a last stand by both doors,' he said; 'but there were not many left by that time. So ended the attempt to retake Moria! It was valiant but foolish. The time is not come yet. Now, I fear, we must say farewell to Balin son of Fundin. Here he must lie in the halls of his fathers. We will take this book, the Book of Mazarbul, and look at it more closely later. You had better keep it, Gimli, and take it back to Dáin, if you get a chance. It will interest him, though it will grieve him deeply. Come, let us go! The morning is passing.' Page 423, The Bridge Of Khazad-dûm, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Boom
Gandalf had hardly spoken these words, when there came a great noise: a rolling Boom that seemed to come from depths far below, and to tremble in the stone at their feet. They sprang towards the door in alarm. Doom, doom it rolled again, as if huge hands were turning the very caverns of Moria into a vast drum. Then there came an echoing blast: a great horn was blown in the hall, and answering horns and harsh cries were heard further off. There was a hurrying sound of many feet. Page 424, The Bridge Of Khazad-dûm, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bridge
'It is grim reading,' he said. 'I fear their end was cruel. Listen! We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the Bridge and second hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there. Then there are four lines smeared so that I can only read went 5 days ago. The last lines run the pool is up to the wall at Westgate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin. We cannot get out. The end comes, and then drums, drums in the deep. I wonder what that means. The last thing written is in a trailing scrawl of elf-letters: they are coming. There is nothing more.' Gandalf paused and stood in silent thought. Page 423, The Bridge Of Khazad-dûm, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Frár and Lóni and Náli
'It is grim reading,' he said. 'I fear their end was cruel. Listen! We cannot get out. We cannot get out. They have taken the Bridge and second hall. Frár and Lóni and Náli fell there. Then there are four lines smeared so that I can only read went 5 days ago. The last lines run the pool is up to the wall at Westgate. The Watcher in the Water took Óin. We cannot get out. The end comes, and then drums, drums in the deep. I wonder what that means. The last thing written is in a trailing scrawl of elf-letters: they are coming. There is nothing more.' Gandalf paused and stood in silent thought. Page 423, The Bridge Of Khazad-dûm, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Khazad Elder
Queen Beruthiel
'Do not be afraid! I have been with him on many a journey, if never on one so dark; and there are tales of Rivendell of greater deeds of his than any that I have seen. He will not go astray – if there is any path to find. He has led us in here against our fears, but he will lead us out again, at whatever cost to himself. He is surer of finding the way home in a blind night than the cats of Queen Beruthiel.' Page 408, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Aragorn)

Ghâsh
'Ghâsh!' muttered Gandalf. 'I wonder if that is what they meant: that the lower levels are on fire? Still, we can only go on.' Page 430, The Bridge Of Khazad-dûm, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Balrog
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.' Page 432-433, The Bridge Of Khazad-dûm, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Barad-dur
...Fire glowed amid the smoke. Mount Doom was burning, and a great reek rising. Then at last his gaze was held: wall upon wall, battlement upon battlement, black, immeasurably strong, mountain of iron, gate of steel, tower of adamant, he saw it: Barad-dur, Fortress of Sauron. All hope left him. Page 527, The Breaking Of The Fellowship, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bay of Belfalas
...And when the wind is in the South the voice of Amroth comes up from the sea; for Nimrodel flows into Silverlode, that Elves call Celebrant, and Celebrant into Anduin the Great, and Anduin flows into the Bay of Belfalas whence the Elves of Lórien set sail. But neither Nimrodel nor Amroth ever came back. Page 447, Lothlórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Beornings
'Indeed it is,' said Gimli. 'Why it is better than the honey-cakes of the Beornings, and that is great praise, for the Beornings are the best bakers that I know of; but they are none too willing to deal out their cakes to travellers in these days. You are kindly hosts!' Page 485-486, Farewell To Lórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

But everywhere he looked he saw the signs of war. The Misty Mountains were crawling like anthills: orcs were issuing out of a thousand holes. Under the boughs of Mirkwood there was deadly strife of Elves and Men and fell beasts. The land of the Beornings was aflame; a cloud was over Moria; smoke rose on the borders of Lórien. Page 526, The Breaking Of The Fellowship, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

beth
He stepped up to the rock again, and lightly touched with his staff the silver star in the middle beneath the sign of the anvil.
Annon edhellen, edro hi ammen!
Fennas nogothrim, lasto beth lammen!
he said in a commanding voice. The silver lines faded, but the blank grey stone did not stir. Page 403, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Gandalf)

Bill
Sam, clinging to Frodo's arm, collapsed on a step in the black darkness. 'Poor old Bill!' he said in a choking voice. 'Poor old Bill! Wolves and snakes! But the snakes were too much for him. I had to choose, Mr. Frodo. I had to come with you.' Page 406, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Brown Lands
...They had come to the Brown Lands that lay, vast and desolate, between Southern Mirkwood and the hills of the Emyn Muil. What pestilence or war or evil deed of the Enemy had so blasted all that region even Aragorn could not tell. Page 499-500, The Great River, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Burden
'We may remain there for a while and make a brave stand; but the Lord Denethor and all his men cannot hope to do what even Elrond said was beyond his power: either to keep the Burden secret, or to hold off the full might of the Enemy when he comes to take it. Which way would any of us choose in Frodo's place? I do not know. Now indeed we miss Gandalf most.' Page 529, The Breaking Of The Fellowship, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Aragorn)

Khazad Elder
ann-thennath
Strider sighed and paused before he spoke again. ‘That is a song,' he said, 'in the mode that is called ann-thennath among the Elves, but is hard to render in our Common Speech, and this is but a rough echo of it. It tells of the meeting of Beren son of Barahir and Lúthien Tinúviel. Page 255, A Knife In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bagshot Row
'There's some devilry at work in the Shire,' he said. 'Elrond knew what he was about when he wanted to send Mr. Merry back.' Then suddenly Sam gave a cry and sprang away. 'I can't stay here,' he said wildly. 'I must go home. They've dug up Bagshot Row, and there's the poor old gaffer going down the Hill with his bits of things on a barrow. I must go home!' Page 476, The Mirror Of Galadriel, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Brandywine
'And one Hobbit!' cried Merry. 'Not all of us look on boats as wild horses. My people live by the banks of the Brandywine.' Page 483, Farewell To Lórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Bywater
'Hi!' cried Sam in an outraged voice. 'There's that Ted Sandyman a-cutting down trees as he shouldn't. They didn't ought to be felled: it's that avenue beyond the Mill that shades the road to Bywater. I wish I could get at Ted, and I'd fell him!' Page 476, The Mirror Of Galadriel, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Calacirian
He tarried there from errantry,
and melodies they taught to him,
and sages old him marvels told,
and harps of gold they brought to him.
They clothed him then in elven-white,
and seven lights before him sent,
as through the Calacirian
to hidden land forlorn he went.
He came unto the timeless halls
where shining fall the countless years,
and endless reigns the Elder King
in Ilmarin on Mountain sheer;
and words unheard were spoken then
of folk of Men and Elven-kin,
beyond the world were visions showed
forbid to those that dwell therein.
... Page 308-309, Many Meetings, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Captain Frodo
‘Good! That’s settled. Three cheers for Captain Frodo and company!’ they shouted; and they danced round him. Merry and Pippin began a song, which they had apparently got ready for the occasion. It was made on the model of the dwarf-song that started Bilbo on his adventure long ago, and went to the same tune:
Farewell we call to hearth and hall!
Though wind may blow and rain may fall,
We must away ere break of day
Far over wood and mountain tall.

To Rivendell, where Elves yet dwell
In glades beneath the misty fell,
Through moor and waste we ride in haste,
And whither then we cannot tell.

With foes ahead, behind us dread,
Beneath the sky shall be our bed,
Until at last our toil be passed,
Our journey done, our errand sped.

We must away! We must away!
We ride before the break of day!
Page 139-140, A Conspiracy Unmasked, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Carn Dûm
'What in the name of wonder?' began Merry, feeling the golden circlet that had slipped over one eye. Then he stopped, and a shadow came over his face, and he closed his eyes. 'Of course, I remember!' he said. 'The men of Carn Dûm came on us at night, and we were worsted. Ah! the spear in my heart!' He clutched at his breast. 'No! No!' he said, opening his eyes. 'What am I saying? I have been dreaming. Where did you get to, Frodo?' Page 189, Fog On The Barrow-downs, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Celeborn
...It is probable that Meriadoc obtained assistance and information from Rivendell, which he visited more than once. There, though Elrond had departed, his sons long remained, together with some of the High-elven folk. It is said that Celeborn went to dwell there after the departure of Galadriel; but there is no record of the day when at last he sought the Grey Havens, and with him went the last living memory of the Elder Days in Middle-earth. Page 21, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Chetwood
...Most of their earlier settlements had long disappeared and been forgotten in Bilbo's time; but one of the first to become important still endured, though reduced in size; this was at Bree and in the Chetwood that lay round about, some forty miles east of the Shire. Page 5, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Chubbs
My dear Bagginses and Boffins, he began again; and my dear Tooks and Brandybucks, and Grubbs, and Chubbs, and Burrowses, and Hornblowers, and Bolgers, Bracegirdles, Goodbodies, Brockhouses and Proudfoots. ‘ProudFEET!’ shouted an elderly hobbit from the back of the pavilion. His name, of course, was Proudfoot, and well merited; his feet were large, exceptionally furry, and both were on the table. Page 38, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

clop
It was five miles or more from Maggot’s lane to the Ferry. The hobbits wrapped themselves up, but their ears were strained for any sound above the creak of the wheels and the slow clop of the ponies’ hoofs. The waggon seemed slower than a snail to Frodo. Beside him Pippin was nodding towards sleep; but Sam was staring forwards into the rising fog.
clip-clop
Maggot jumped down and stood holding the ponies’ heads, and peering forward into the gloom. Clip-clop, clip-clop came the approaching rider. The fall of the hoofs sounded loud in the still, foggy air.
clop-clop
Clop-clop, clop-clop. The rider was nearly on them. Page 127, A Short Cut To Mushrooms, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Combe
Bree was the chief village of the Bree-land, a small inhabited region, like an island in the empty lands round about. Besides Bree itself, there was Staddle on the other side of the hill, Combe in a deep valley a little further eastward, and Archet on the edge of the Chetwood. Lying round Bree-hill and the villages was a small country of fields and tamed woodland only a few miles broad. Page 197, AT The Sign Of The Prancing Pony, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Common Speech
And in those days also they forgot whatever languages they had used before, and spoke ever after the Common Speech, the Westron as it was named, that was current through all the lands of the kings from Arnor to Gondor, and about all the coasts of the Sea from Belfalas to Lune. Yet they kept a few words of their own, as well as their own names of months and days, and a great store of personal names out of the past. Page 5, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Common Tongue
‘I cannot read the fiery letters,’ said Frodo in a quavering voice.
‘No,’ said Gandalf, ‘but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
Page 66, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Council of Elrond
Suddenly as they were talking a single clear bell rang out. 'That is the warning bell for the Council of Elrond,' cried Gandalf. 'Come along now! Both you and Bilbo are wanted.' Page 313, The Council of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Council of the Wise
Gandalf paused. ‘And there in the dark pools amid the Gladden Fields,’ he said, ‘the Ring passed out of knowledge and legend; and even so much of its history is known now only to a few, and the Council of the Wise could discover no more. But at last I can carry on the story, I think. Page 69, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Cracks of Doom
'There is only one way: to find the Cracks of Doom in the depths of Orodruin, the Fire-mountain, and cast the Ring in there, if you really wish to destroy it, to put it beyond the grasp of the Enemy for ever.’ Page 81, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)
‘But you cannot see very far,’ said Gandalf. ‘Neither can I. It may be your task to find the Cracks of Doom; but that quest may be for others: I do not know. At any rate you are not ready for that long road yet.’ Page 87, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Crickhollow
As a matter of fact with Merry’s help he had already chosen and bought a little house at Crickhollow in the country beyond Bucklebury. To all but Sam he pretended he was going to settle down there permanently. The decision to set out eastwards had suggested the idea to him; for Buckland was on the eastern borders of the Shire, and as he had lived there in childhood his going back would at least seem credible.
Page 88, Three Is Company, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Frodo)

New Soul
Coffee

"Some called for ale, and some for porter, and one for coffee, and all of them for cakes; so the hobbit was kept very busy for a while. A big jug of coffee had just been set in the hearth, the seed-cakes were gone, and the dwarves were starting on a round of buttered scones, when there came - a loud knock."

Page 9, Chapter 1 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (HarperCollins Publishers, 1997, Hardcover)

"'And more cakes - and ale - and coffee, if you don't mind,' called the other dwarves through the door."

Page 10, Chapter 1 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (HarperCollins Publishers, 1997, Hardcover)
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Khazad Elder
shell
A shadow seemed to pass by the window, and the hobbits glanced hastily through the panes. When they turned again, Goldberry stood in the door behind, framed in light. She held a candle, shielding its flame from the draught with her hand; and the light flowed through it, like sunlight through a white shell. Page 173, In The House Of Tom Bombadil, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
cairn
'I wonder,' said Strider, looking round thoughtfully. 'Even if he was a day or two behind us at Bree, he could have arrived here first. He can ride very swiftly when need presses.' Suddenly he stooped and looked at the stone on the top of the cairn; it was flatter than the others, and whiter, as if it had escaped the fire. He picked it up and examined it.... 'This has been handled recently,' he said. 'What do you think of these marks?'
On the flat under-side Frodo saw some scratches: Image Page 247, A Knife In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Aragorn)

caita
Calaciryo
...An sí Tintallë Varda Oiolossëo
ve fanyar máryat Elentári ortanë,
ar ilyë tier undulávë lumbulë;
ar sindanóriello caita mornië
i falmalinnar imbë met, ar hísië
untúpa Calaciryo míri oialë.
Sí vanwa ná, Rómello vanwa, Valimar!
Page 496, Farewell To Lórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Galadriel)

cake
'Cram,' he said under his breath, as he broke off a crisp corner and nibbled at it. His expression quickly changed, and he ate all the rest of the cake with relish. 'No more, no more!' cried the Elves laughing. 'You have eaten enough already for a long day's march.' Page 485, Farewell To Lórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Gimli)

cap
...When they caught a glimpse of the country westward the distant Forest seemed to be smoking, as if the fallen rain was steaming up again from leaf and root and mould. A shadow now lay round the edge of sight, a dark haze above which the upper sky was like a blue cap, hot and heavy. Page 180, Fog On The Barrow-downs, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

cat
There was loud and long applause. Frodo had a good voice, and the song tickled their fancy. 'Where's old Barley?' they cried. 'He ought to hear this. Bob ought to learn his cat the fiddle, and then we'd have a dance.' They called for more ale, and began to shout: 'Let's have it again, master! Come on now! Once more!' Page 211, At The Sign Of The Prancing Pony, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

cavalry
At that moment there came a roaring and a rushing: a noise of loud waters rolling many stones. Dimly Frodo saw the river below him rise, and down along its course there came a plumed cavalry of waves. White flames seemed to Frodo to flicker on their crests and he half fancied that he saw amid the water white riders upon white horses with frothing manes. Page 282, Flight To The Fords, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Cerin Amroth
'Behold! You are come to Cerin Amroth,' said Haldir. 'For this is the heart of the ancient realm as it was long ago, and here is the mound of Amroth, where in happier days his high house was built. Here ever bloom the winter flowers in the unfading grass: the yellow elanor, and the pale niphredil. Here we will stay awhile, and come to the city of the Galadhrim at dusk.' Page 459, Lothórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

cobwebs
...After riding for about an hour, slowly and without talking, they saw the Hedge looming suddenly ahead. It was tall and netted over with silver cobwebs.
‘How are you going to get through this?’ asked Fredegar.
‘Follow me!’ said Merry, ‘and you will see.’... Page 144, The Old Forest, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

copper
‘Trust me to arrange things better than that!’ said Merry.
‘We can’t begin life at Crickhollow with a quarrel over baths. In that room there are three tubs, and a copper full of boiling water. There are also towels, mats and soap. Get inside, and be quick!’ Page 133, Conspiracy Unmasked, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

cottage
‘Enter, good guests!’ she said, and as she spoke they knew that it was her clear voice they had heard singing. They came a few timid steps further into the room, and began to bow low, feeling strangely surprised and awkward, like folk that, knocking at a cottage door to beg for a drink of water, have been answered by a fair young elf-queen clad in living flowers. But before they could say anything, she sprang lightly up and over the lily-bowls, and ran laughing towards them; and as she ran her gown rustled softly like the wind in the flowering borders of a river. Page 163, In The House Of Tom Bombadil, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Goldberry)

cow
'Dear Bilbo!' said Frodo sleepily. 'I wonder where he is. I wish he was here and could hear all about it. It would have made him laugh, The cow jumped over the Moon! And the poor old troll!' With that he fell fast asleep. Page 295, Many Meetings, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

cushions
'Frodo Baggins at your service and your family's,' said Frodo correctly, rising in surprise and scattering his cushions. 'Am I right in guessing that you are the Glóin, one of the twelve companions of the great Thorin Oakenshield?' Page 299, Many Meetings, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Khazad Elder

pipe-weed, leaf, Nicotiana
Concerning Pipe-weed
There is another astonishing thing about Hobbits of old that must be mentioned, an astonishing habit: they imbibed or inhaled, through pipes of clay or wood, the smoke of the burning leaves of a herb, which they called pipe-weed or leaf, a variety probably of Nicotiana... Page 10, Prologue, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Caradhras
'It is for the Dimrill Dale that we are making,' said Gandalf.
'If we climb the pass that is called the Redhorn Gate, under the far side of Caradhras, we shall come down by the Dimrill Stair into the deep vale of the Dwarves. There lies the Mirrormere, and there the River Silverlode rises in its icy springs.' Page 372, The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Caras Galadhon
'Welcome to Caras Galadhon!' he said. 'Here is the city of the Galadhrim where dwell the Lord Celeborn and Galadriel the Lady of Lórien. But we cannot enter here, for the gates do not look northward. We must go round to the southern side, and the way is not short, for the city is great.' Page 463, The Mirror Of Galadriel, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Celebdil
They rose and looked about them. Northward the dale ran up into a glen of shadows between two great arms of the mountains, above which three white peaks were shining: Celebdil, Fanuidhol, Caradhras, the Mountains of Moria...Page 436, Lothlórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Celebrant
...for Nimrodel flows into Silverlode, that Elves call Celebrant, and Celebrant into Anduin the Great, and Anduin flows into the Bay of Belfalas whence the Elves of Lórien set sail. But neither Nimrodel nor Amroth ever came back. Page 447, Lothlórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Celebrimbor of Hollin
'The words are in the elven-tongue of the West of Middle-earth in the Elder Days,' answered Gandalf. 'But they do not say anything of importance to us. They say only: The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter. And underneath small and faint is written: I, Narvi, made them. Celebrimbor of Hollin drew these signs.' Page 400, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Cerin Amroth
They entered the circle of white trees. As they did so the South Wind blew upon Cerin Amroth and sighed among the branches. Frodo stood still, hearing far off great seas upon beaches that had long ago been washed away, and sea-birds crying whose race had perished from the earth. Page 460, Lothlórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Chamber of Mazarbul/Chamber of Records
'We drove out orcs from the great gate and guard – I think; the next word is blurred and burned; probably roomwe slew many in the bright – I think – sun in the dale. Flói was killed by an arrow. He slew the great. Then there is a blur followed by Flói under grass near Mirror mere. The next line or two I cannot read. Then comes We have taken the twentyfirst hall of North end to dwell in. There is I cannot read what. A shaft is mentioned. Then Balin has set up his seat in the Chamber of Mazarbul.'
'The Chamber of Records,' said Gimli. 'I guess that is where we now stand.' Page 422, The Bridge Of Khazad-dûm, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Círdan
'Alas! yes,' said Elrond. 'Isildur took it, as should not have been. It should have been cast then into Orodruin's fire nigh at hand where it was made. But few marked what Isildur did. He alone stood by his father in that last mortal contest; and by Gil-galad only Círdan stood, and I. But Isildur would not listen to our counsel... Page 319, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Cirith Gorgor
...About that stream, on this side of the Great River, lies Rohan. On the further side are the bleak hills of the Emyn Muil. The wind blows from the East there, for they look out over the Dead Marshes and the Noman-lands to Cirith Gorgor and the black gates of Mordor. Page 491, Farewell To Lórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Citadel of the Stars
'In the South the realm of Gondor long endured; and for a while its splendour grew, recalling somewhat of the might of Numenor, ere it fell. High towers that people built, and strong places, and havens of many ships; and the winged crown of the Kings of Men was held in awe by folk of many tongues. Their chief city was Osgiliath, Citadel of the Stars, through the midst of which the River flowed... Page 320, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

City of the Trees
Haldir knocked and spoke, and the gates opened soundlessly; but of guards Frodo could see no sign. The travellers passed within, and the gates shut behind them. They were in a deep lane between the ends of the wall, and passing quickly through it they entered the City of the Trees. No folk could they see, nor hear any feet upon the paths; but there were many voices, about them, and in the air above. Far away up on the hill they could hear the sound of singing falling from on high like soft rain upon leaves. Page 464, The Mirror Of Galadriel, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Common Language
'Welcome!' the Elf then said again in the Common Language, speaking slowly... Page 449, Lothlórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Company
All day the Company remained in hiding. The dark birds passed over now and again; but as the westering Sun grew red they disappeared southwards... Page 375, The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Crazy
...But my lad Sam will know more about that. He’s in and out of Bag End. Crazy about stories of the old days he is, and he listens to all Mr. Bilbo’s tales. Mr. Bilbo has learned him his letters – meaning no harm, mark you, and I hope no harm will come of it. Page 31, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Crown of Durin
'O Kheled-zâram fair and wonderful!' said Gimli. 'There lies the Crown of Durin till he wakes. Farewell!' He bowed, and turned away, and hastened back up the green-sward to the road again. Page 438, Lothlórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Cruel, Caradhras the
'Caradhras was called the Cruel, and had an ill name, said Gimli, 'long years ago, when rumour of Sauron had not been heard in these lands.' Page 379, The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

curtains
They woke up, all four at once, in the morning light. Tom was moving about the room whistling like a starling. When he heard them stir he clapped his hands, and cried: ‘Hey! Come merry dol! derry dol! My hearties!’ He drew back the yellow curtains, and the hobbits saw that these had covered the windows, at either end of the room, one looking east and the other looking west. Page 168, In The House Of Tom Bombadil, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

customer
‘Then you haven’t seen him?’ said the farmer. ‘He went up the lane towards the causeway not a long while back. He was a funny customer and asking funny questions. But perhaps you’ll come along inside, and we’ll pass the news more comfortable.' Page 122, A Short Cut To Mushrooms, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Dáin
'At that his breath came like the hiss of snakes, and all who stood by shuddered, but Dáin said: "I say neither yea nor nay. I must consider this message and what it means under its fair cloak." Page 316, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Dale
Gloin began then to talk of the works of his people, telling Frodo about their great labours in Dale and under the Mountain. 'We have done well,' he said. 'But in metalwork we cannot rival our fathers, many of whose secrets are lost. We make good armour and keen swords, but we cannot again make mail or blade to match those that were made before the dragon came. Only in mining and building have we surpassed the old days. You should see the waterways of Dale, Frodo, and the fountains, and the pools! You should see the stone-paved roads of many colours! And the halls and cavernous streets under the earth with arches carved like trees; and the terraces and towers upon the Mountain's sides! Then you would see that we have not been idle.' Page 301, Many Meetings, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Day, the
...There in the courts of the King grew a white tree, from the seed of that tree which Isildur brought over the deep waters, and the seed of that tree before came from Eressëa, and before that out of the Uttermost West in the Day before days when the world was young. Page 320, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Deadman's Dike
'In the North after the war and the slaughter of the Gladden Fields the Men of Westernesse were diminished, and their city of Annúminas beside Lake Evendim fell into ruin; and the heirs of Valandil removed and dwelt at Fornost on the high North Downs, and that now too is desolate. Men call it Deadmen's Dike, and they fear to tread there. For the folk of Arnor dwindled, and their foes devoured them, and their lordship passed, leaving only green mounds in the grassy hills. Page 320, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Dead Marshes
...But now the trail was fresh and swift, and it led not to Mordor but away. Along the skirts of the Dead Marshes I followed it, and then I had him. Lurking by a stagnant mere, peering in the water as the dark eve fell, I caught him, Gollum... (Aragorn) Page 322, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Déagol
‘“Give us that, Déagol, my love,” said Sméagol, over his friend’s shoulder.
‘“Why?” said Déagol.
‘“Because it’s my birthday, my love, and I wants it,” said Sméagol.
‘“I don’t care,” said Déagol. “I have given you a present already, more than I could afford. I found this, and I’m going to keep it.”
‘“Oh, are you indeed, my love,” said Sméagol; and he caught Déagol by the throat and strangled him, because the gold looked so bright and beautiful. Then he put the ring on his finger. Page 70, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Denethor
'At once I took my leave of Denethor, but even as I went northwards, messages came to me out of Lórien that Aragorn had passed that way, and that he had found the creature called Gollum. Therefore I went first to meet him and hear his tale. Into what deadly perils he had gone alone I dared not guess.' Page 332, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Dimrill Dale
Frodo sat up. 'Good morning!' said Gandalf: 'For morning it is again at last. I was right, you see. We are high up on the east side of Moria. Before today is over we ought to find the Great Gates and see the waters of Mirrormere lying in the Dimrill Dale before us.' Page 418, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Dimrill Gate
Gandalf seemed pleased. 'I chose the right way,' he said. 'At last we are coming to the habitable parts, and I guess that we are not far now from the eastern side. But we are high up, a good deal higher than the Dimrill Gate, unless I am mistaken. From the feeling of the air we must be in a wide hall. I will now risk a little real light.' Page 413, A Journey In The Dark, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Dimrill Stair
'Yonder is the Dimrill Stair,' said Aragorn, pointing to the falls. 'Down the deep-cloven way that climbs beside the torrent we should have come, if fortune had been kinder.' Page 436, Lothlórien, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Dior
'So it was indeed,' answered Elrond gravely. 'But my memory reaches back even to the Elder Days. Eärendilwas my sire, who was born in Gondolin before its fall; and my mother was Elwing, daughter of Dior, son of Lúthien of Doriath. I have seen three ages in the West of the world, and many defeats, and many fruitless victories. Page 318, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Downs
By his advice they decided to make nearly due North from his house, over the western and lower slopes of the Downs: they might hope in that way to strike the East Road in a day’s journey, and avoid the Barrows. He told them not to be afraid – but to mind their own business. Page 176, In The House Of Tom Bombadil, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Dragon
‘No thank ’ee,’ said Ted, ‘I won’t. I heard tell of them when I was a youngster, but there’s no call to believe in them now. There’s only one Dragon in Bywater, and that’s Green,’ he said, getting a general laugh. Page 58, The Shadow Of The Past, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Drogo
‘I’ve heard they went on the water after dinner in the moonlight,’ said Old Noakes; ‘and it was Drogo’s weight as sunk the boat.’ Page 30, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Dúnedain
'That was seventeen years ago. Soon I became aware that spies of many sorts, even beasts and birds, were gathered round the Shire, and my fear grew. I called for the help of the Dúnedain, and their watch was doubled; and I opened my heart to Aragorn, the heir of Isildur.' Page 329, The Council Of Elrond, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Ent Ancient
All the following from LotR-- if you want any formatting altered, let me know and I can edit and if you want to change categories, by all means, please do so!

Beacons
‘What is that?’ cried Pippin suddenly, clutching at Gandalf’s cloak. ‘Look! Fire, red fire! Are there dragons in this land? Look, there is another!’

For answer Gandalf cried aloud to his horse. ‘On, Shadowfax! We must hasten. Time is short. See! The beacons of Gondor are alight, calling for aid. War is kindled. See, there is fire on Amon Dîn, and flame on Eilenach; and there they go speeding west: Nardol, Erelas, Min-Rimmon, Calenhad, and the Halifirien on the borders of Rohan.’
Page 747, Minas Tirith, The Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Bell of Minas Tirith
With that Gandalf went out; and as he did so, there came the note of a clear sweet bell ringing in a tower of the citadel. Three strokes it rang, like silver in the air, and ceased: the third house from the rising of the sun.
Page 760, Minas Tirith, Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Bregalad
‘Ha, hmm, my friends, let us go for a walk!’ he said. ‘I am Bregalad, that is Quickbeam in your language. But it is only a nickname, of course. They have called me that ever since I said yes to an elder Ent before he had finished his question. Also I drink quickly, and go out while some are still wetting their beards. Come with me!’
Page 482, Treebeard, The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Bregalad’s Dead Trees
‘There were rowan-trees in my home,’ said Bregalad, softly and sadly, ‘rowan-trees that took root when I was an Enting, many many years ago in the quiet of the world. The oldest were planted by the Ents to try and please the Entwives; but they looked at them and smiled and said that they knew where whiter blossoms and richer fruit were growing. Yet there are no trees of all that race, the people of the Rose, that are so beautiful to me. And these trees grew and grew, till the shadow of each was like a green hall, and their red berries in the autumn were a burden, and a beauty and a wonder. Birds used to flock there. I like birds, even when they chatter; and the rowan has enough to spare. But the birds became unfriendly and greedy and tore at the trees, and threw down the fruit and did not eat it. Then Orcs came with axes and cut down my trees. I came and called them by their long names, but they did not quiver, they did not hear or answer: they lay dead.
Page 483, Treebeard, The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Guards of the Citadel
The Guards of the Gate were robed in black, and their helms were of strange shape, high-crowned, with long cheek-guards close-fitting to the face, and above the cheek-guards were set the white wings of sea-birds; but the helms gleamed with a flame of silver, for they were indeed wrought of mithril, heirlooms from the glory of old days. Upon the black surcoats were embedded in white a tree blossoming like snow beneath a silver brown and many-pointed stars. This was the livery of the heirs of Elendil, and none wore it now in all Gondor, save the Guards of the Citadel before the Court of the Fountain where the White Tree had once grown.
Page 752, Minas Tirith, Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Heathen kings
No tomb for Denethor and Faramir. No tomb! We will burn like heathen kings before ever a ship sailed hither from the West.
(Denethor), Page 825, The Siege of Gondor, The Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Heathen kings 2?
‘Only the heathen kings, under the domination of the Dark Power, did thus, slaying themselves in pride and despair, murdering their kin to ease their own death.’
(Gandalf), Page 852, The Pyre of Denethor, The Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Hobbits or The Fox?
‘Hobbits!’ he thought. ‘Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a hobbit sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There’s something mighty queer behind this.’ He was quite right, but never found out any more about it.
Page 75, Three is Company, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Meals of the Guard of the Citadal or An Army Marches on it's stomach?
Those who have had heavy duty take somewhat to refresh their strength in the mid-morning. Then there is the nuncheon, at noon or after as duties allow; and men gather for the daymeal, and such mirth as there still may be, about the hour of sunset.
(Beregond), Page 761, Minas Tirith, Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Morning counsels
‘In the morning counsels are best, and night changes many thoughts.’
(Theoden), Page 799, The Muster of Rohan, Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Mounds of the Hornburg
In the midst of the field before the Hornburg two mounds were raised, and beneath them were laid all Riders of the Mark who fell in the defence, those of the East Dales upon one side, and those of the Westfold upon the other. But the men of Dunland were set apart in a mound below the Dike. In a grave alone under the shadow of the Hornburg lay Háma, captain of the King’s guard. He fell before the Gate.
Page 545, The Road to Isengard, The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Nameless Things
"Far, far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves, the world is gnawed by nameless things. Even Sauron knows them not. They are older than he. Now I have walked there, but I will bring no report to darken the light of day." - (Gandalf), Page 501, The White Rider, The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Old Guesthouse, the
He came at last by arched streets and many fair alleys and pavements to the lowest and widest circle, and there he was directed to Lampwrights’ Street, a broad way running towards the Great Gate. In it he found the Old Guesthouse, a large building of grey weathered stone with two wings running back from the street, and between them a narrow greensward, behind which was a many-windowed house, fronted along its whole width by a pillared porch and a flight of steps down on to the grass.
Page 768, Minas Tirith, Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Ringwraiths
'You cannot destroy Ringwraiths like that,' said Gandalf. 'The power of their master is in them, and they stand or fall by him. We hope that they were all unhorsed and unmasked, and so made for a while less dangerous; but we must find out for certain.'
Page 292, The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Guardian of the Golden Wood
Chapter I. 'An Unexpected Party'

In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 11.
Last edited by Chrysophylax Dives on Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.

They are (or were) small people, smaller than dwarves (and they have no beards) but very much larger than lilliputians.

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 12.

It had always been said that long ago one or other of the Tooks had married into a fairy family (the less friendly said a goblin family); certainly there was still something not entirely hobbit-like about them, and once in a while members of the Took-clan would go and have adventures.

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), pp. 12-13.

"Dear me!" he went on. "Not the Gandalf who was responsible for so many quiet lads and lasses going off into the Blue for mad adventures, anything from climbing trees to stowing away aboard the ships that sail to the Other Side? Bless me, life used to be quite inter–I mean, you used to upset things badly in these parts once upon a time. I beg your pardon, but I had no idea you were still in business.”

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), pp. 15-16.
Last edited by Chrysophylax Dives on Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Indeed for your grandfather Took's sake, and for the sake of poor Belladonna, I will give you what you asked for."

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 16.

Gandalf in the meantime was still standing outside the door, and laughing long but quietly. After a while he stepped up, and with the spike on his staff scratched a queer sign on the hobbit's beautiful green front-door.

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 16.

It was a dwarf with a blue beard tucked into a golden belt, and very bright eyes under his dark-green hood. As soon as the door was opened, he pushed inside, just as if he had been expected.

He hung his hooded cloak on the nearest peg, and "Dwalin at your service!" he said with a low bow.

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 17.

It was two more dwarves, both with blue hoods, silver belts, and yellow beards; and each of them carried a bag of tools and a spade.

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 18.

And there was Gandalf behind, leaning on his staff and laughing. He had made quite a dent on the beautiful door; he had also, by the way, knocked out the secret mark he had put there the morning before.

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 20.
Last edited by Chrysophylax Dives on Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The dark filled all the room, and the fire died down, and the shadows were lost, and still they played on. And suddenly first one and then another began to sing as they played...

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 24.

"We like the dark," said all the dwarves. "Dark for dark business! There are many hours before dawn."

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 26.

"I think it sounded more like fright than excitement! In fact, if it had not been for the sign on the door, I should have been sure we had come to the wrong house. As soon as I clapped eyes on the little fellow bobbing and puffing on the mat, I had my doubts. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar!"

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 28.

"Of course there is a mark," said Gandalf. "I put it there myself. For very good reasons. You asked me to find the fourteenth man for your expedition, and I chose Mr. Baggins. Just let any one say I chose the wrong man or the wrong house, and you can stop at thirteen and have all the bad luck you like, or go back to digging coal."

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 29.

"If I say he is a Burglar, a Burglar he is, or will be when the time comes. There is a lot more in him than you guess, and a deal more than he has any idea of himself. You may (possibly) all live to thank me yet. Now Bilbo, my boy, fetch the lamp, and let's have a little light on this!"

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 29.

"In lots of ways," said Gandalf. "But in what way this one has been hidden we don't know without going to see. From what it says on the map I should guess there is a closed door which has been made to look exactly like the side of the Mountain."

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 31.

"Also," went on Gandalf, "I forgot to mention that with the map went a key, a small and curious key. Here it is!" he said, and handed to Thorin a key with a long barrel and intricate wards, made of silver.

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), p. 31.

"That would be no good," said the wizard, "not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neighbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply not to be found. Swords in these parts are mostly blunt, and axes are used for trees, and shields as cradles or dish-covers; and dragons are comfortably far-off (and therefore legendary). That is why I settled on burglary--especially when I remembered the existence of a Side-door. And here is out little Bilbo Baggins, the burglar, the chosen and selected burglar. So now let's get on and make some plans."

The Hobbit or There and Back Again by J.R.R. Tolkien. London: George Allen & Unwin. 1937 (2016 facsimile), pp. 31-32.