NuLibrary - OOC and Discussion

A place to store the history of the Plaza and gather information and quotes about Tolkien's books
Warrior of Imladris
OOC thread for the NuLibrary Quote Bank
To keep the actual thread tidy!

It might be good to have the name of the person speaking any actual speech quotes, I think. Gildor being missing in your bits, above.
Last edited by Lirimaer on Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

High Lord of Imladris
@Boromir88 Those are quite excellent examples of quotes about wizards! They don't all have to be spoken quotes from the books either! So if you know of some other excellent quotes about wizards am happy have those as well Please make sure to include the formatting used (I am going to check the Two Towers ones in a bit I had a Harper Collins Fellowship of the ring on hand (not same year but easy enough to find)

I had quotes around mine as I am simply use to using quotations in essays is the last time I used quotes in any systematic fashion. I've gotten rid of them in case people think they must be spoken quotes

@Lirimaer I understand why the quote does not have his name in it, to get it into the quote one has to put in a fairly long quote to get where his name is. Four full sentences some of which does not overly have to do with wizards as a whole.

Shall we put names for those saying things in brackets LIke so (Gildor) when we do have cases where we don't have the speaker actually named in the quote. (I'm going to not do proper paraprashing brackets because I know that those can make a right mess in code if we ever switch from BBcode in posts to php coded pages)

Warrior of Imladris
Seems sensible rather than quoting half a chapter :thumbs: - I just remember being surprised on the read-through that it was Gildor, since my memory of the film/meme had sullied it, so I reckon it's good to know who says these things.

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Thank you @Fuin Elda and @Lirimaer, I will put names in brackets if the character is speaking is not mentioned in the part I'm quoting. :smile:

My goal is to find quotes that gives us a description/idea of a certain character or topic. Your Baggins example is perfect in giving the idea of what a "Baggins" will do in a situation. It made me think of what's a good way of describing wizards by using quotes from the book! :smile: I will certainly be adding more

Master Torturer
Would you like an OOC thread? So that you can keep one thread for just the quotes and use the other for questions/suggestions? I can split them into the new thread if you would like, just let me know :)

High Lord of Imladris
@Winddancer that would probably be very smart.

High Lord of Imladris
@Winddancer would it be possible to get the name of this thread switched so that it reflects that this is the OOC at first glance? Sadly I can not as the op on here belongs to the fabulous Lirimaer.

Master Torturer
What would you like it called? I will c/p that in

High Lord of Imladris
NuLibrary -OOC and Discussion

(Many thanks)

@Fuin Elda oh you got to adding the Beorn quotes quickly. The 2nd quote I had to make a correction, I left out an "and." Should be:

"He came alone, and in bear's shape;..."

I edited it in my post but you were too quick for me. :smile: :lol:
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him
Tis the season of Sean Bean prequel shows

High Lord of Imladris
hahahah I AM SPEED DEMON LIBRARIAN BAHAHAHAHA (Fixing now)

Black Númenórean
Thread title edited :thumbs:
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Ent Ancient
Nice idea, @Fuin Elda! Thinking ahead - aside from The Hobbit I only own e-books. Do you just want whatever "page #" quotes fall on? I assume the page #s shift with font sizes/different e-readers but not sure how it works exactly.

High Lord of Imladris
@Little Bird Lail So I had to look this up as the last time I did MLA and had an MLA guide book Ebook was still generally frowned upon as a source in University. While we aren't doing a complete MLA format it's what I've based most of this information on

SO for Ebooks

We will be doing Chapter name, Novel Name, Ebook/Kindle ed./EPUB , Publisher, Year

because pages do change as you note, we can't overly use them in this case, however we will ad what FORMAT of ebook it is.

Ent Ancient
:thumbs: Makes sense! I'll keep it in mind as I go through re-read if I find good quotes for you.

Khazad Elder
Did I post my quote correctly? I am not sure I understand all the talk regarding paraphrasing and quotation marks, etc.. :confused:
If I have 5 different editions of The Hobbit, do I post the Arkenstone quote five times from each edition?
The world was fair in Durin's Day

High Lord of Imladris
@Drifa I looked through it and it seemed to be proper! And no you need not quote it from each edition, one edition is good enough

Lords help me I have 7 editions of LOTR... and 4 of the hobbit and silmarillion each that would be an unholy nightmare. lol

High Lord of Imladris
AS A NOTE FOR MYSELF (As I need to head out and do things - I've gotten to Bofur done on Drifa's post So I promise there is nothing wrong with the quotes I've just run out of time for right now to continue.

@Drifa for the brackets of charcters, could you please put that at the END of the quote unless there is more than one person speaking per quote. Thanks very much - Don't worry about the current ones they're easily fixed more for future references.

Khazad Elder
Will do!

@Fuin Elda I will post my next batch in alphabetical order. I see you have the quote I was using for Bungo at the end of Belladonn's quote. Did you know this?

High Lord of Imladris
Yes I thought it was Also quite suiting there. As it was talking about her becoming Mrs Bungo Baggins I'm going to also do that with the Bag end quote as well as I think it's quite suitable for Dragon.
I believe you'd already doubled up on quote previously for two different things So didn't feel bad doing the same for these as it's easier to do it that way than trying to get some sort of anchor point in a post. Web page is doable BB code based forum post not so much sadly.

Khazad Elder
Sounds good, Fuin.

I am not sure about Dragon and Dwarves in the latest quotes I posted ?

Also, the letter C is between the D quotes. :smile:

High Lord of Imladris
@Drifa Thanks for the heads up on the C I'd have found it eventually but you telling me is far faster especially with several quotes that fall under C coming up. Lets see how far I get tonight on getting these quotes put into place!

You guys have been doing an amazing job!

Khazad Elder
Thanks, Fuin! I rather enjoy finding quotes. It gives me the chance to reread the story again.

I was wondering if a link to the OOC can be posted in the NuPlaza Quote Bank's OP. What do you think?

High Lord of Imladris
I can certainly do that! Almost finished with being caught up

I apologize I did change where one of your quotes went (Dwarves) It's in there just not under 'dwarves'

NPF edit: Awesome work all 3 of you! <3 Scattered some shinies your way!

High Lord of Imladris
Thanks NPF! I just putting it up that for the moment I am not updating the quote bank atm I am currently operating on a laptop that isn't so useful for doing quotes as I was not bright and did not bring my mouse which makes quote bank easier. Heading back south for a few days then will have a mouse once more and get some more quotes up!

As well as bringing along my copy of the Hobbit.

Thank you kindly NPF! 😀

If you haven’t noticed @Fuin Elda my quotes for LOTR are following closely to where I’m currently at in reading it again. So, expect another batch from TTT soon! :-)
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

High Lord of Imladris
I'm crying JUST a lot. past the whole wack of F quotes in Drifa's post on the 5th and hit my G5hotkey for streaming. When out of streaming it doubles as F5.

I am so angry.

And yes Boromir! I completely noticed and approved. At the rate we are going for Hobbit Quotes I may soon be migrating LOTR Quotes to their own Quote thread but we'll see how many we can get done!

High Lord of Imladris
To Drifa's Goblins on Nov 5th

High Lord of Imladris
OKAY so major development I've split the LOTR quotes to their own thread - The Hobbit has a massive amount of quotes already (and lets face it 60K character limit per post is gonna make for an interesting time.

We will be keeping the quote finding to the first thread simply so that once we get to LOTR Quotes primarily I won't be scrambling to have enough room as I have no doubt that the Hobbit Quotes will easily fill 3 posts (and possibly part of the opening post) and lets face it The Hobbit is not even a third of the size of the Lord of the Rings... So feel free to keep posting where you have been.

And for the record @Drifa and @Boromir88 - I have gotten to Boromirs post on Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:02 pm before I am done for the night. (4 posts left to sort hooray!)

Khazad Elder
I'm crying JUST a lot. past the whole wack of F quotes in Drifa's post on the 5th and hit my G5hotkey for streaming. When out of streaming it doubles as F5.
Reading that actually makes my neck sore ( get a sore neck when at the keyboard to long). :smooch:

Sounds good, @Fuin Elda !

Khazad Elder
{b]Girion[/b - The wrong code bracket .

Thank you for all your effort to make the library project for the NuPlaza @Fuin Elda. It is a great addition. :smile:

At some point I plan to watch the movies before the end of the year and will start adding movie quotes as well. Do you think that can be separated and pinned in the Media Adaptations forum? I suppose we can cross the bridge when movie quotes start coming in. *Gets back to scouring for more LOTR quotes*
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

High Lord of Imladris
@Boromir88 I was originally planning on having them all in the same library depending up what 'book' they were from, so was thinking if we don't fill the third post in terms of book quotes for the hobbit it would likely get filled with film adaption quotes. But honestly I havent' even had a chance to go through the books and get the quotes I was looking at yet so I DOUBT there will be room so that might be an excellent place for it as I hadn't thought of what to do with the film quotes as we really haven't gotten any of those yet (I am honestly hoping SOMEONE will do the PJ hobbit films and EE of those as I flat out refused to buy the Hobbit films from him they were just not.... they were no's from me. I will do the R&B hobbit film quotes happily though.)

By the time we get to film quotes though we may have such a warren of quotes and threads that Narv may just throw me a space on the server at this rate! You and Drifa are doing amazing at getting me quotes to the point I'm not doing any of my own quotes anymore (I think I have about 3 in the whole thing so far picked out by me)

@Drifa : Thanks for that heads up will fix next time i'm in there (trying to get about 1000 words of Nanowrimo done first)

High Lord of Imladris
Finished up until Drifa's first post on LOTR quotes everything else is fixed and good (Drifa the quote issue appeared to be on your quotes to me rather than the main top ones.)

For anyone just looking to start in this you are of course welcome to submit more quotes for the Hobbit especially on items that you see have only one or two quotes and you know there are more of them to be found and posted!

High Lord of Imladris
@Drifa your first quote on the upcoming Adelard doesn't have the reference items in it do you remember the page if not I can look it up in my copy. Thanks and great work!

Khazad Elder
@Fuin Elda - I just used the one quote source for both Aderlard and Angelica.

Adelard Took
Inside in the hall there was piled a large assortment of packages and parcels and small articles of furniture. On every item there was a label tied. There were several labels of this sort:
For ADELARD TOOK, for his VERY OWN, from Bilbo, on an umbrella. Adelard had carried off many unlabelled ones. ...
Angelica
For ANGELICA’S use, from Uncle Bilbo, on a round convex mirror. She was a young Baggins, and too obviously considered her face shapely. Page 48, A Long-Expected Party, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

High Lord of Imladris
Fantastic thanks so much for the clarification.

@Fuin Elda for my recent quotes posted on 11/24 at 1:29 PM, I really loved Sam's thinking of Gollum as Slinker and Stinker, so however you want to categorize it. If you want to put the quote under Gollum or have a separate one for "Slinker and Stinker."

Same for Minas Ithil/Tower of the Moon, I thought about splitting the two quotes up, but thought that might remove the context that they're talking about the same location.
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Master Torturer
To all contributing, come and place your votes please!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=645

Wow, I think I've managed to quote all of Faramir from The Window of the West. He is full of knowledge and eloquence from Numenor's past, and there's still a few more I need to add!
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Khazad Elder
I voted!

Arien
Arien
Just to expand a bit on the thread idea I chatted with Fuin about - I don’t think it’d necessarily be part of the Library but it would generate quotes that we could, with a tiny bit of work, collect into the Library in some form.

The idea is “Favourite Quotations”: someone picks a topic: E.g. Food, Clothes, Trees - and everyone submits their favourite quotation on that topic. Then the poster of the one OP likes best, or perhaps the TR, chooses the next topic.
cave anserem

Master Torturer
Btw if you get the PDF's the quote's can be found real easily using control f!

High Lord of Imladris
@Sil Yeah I understand your idea and I love it I have a feeling given the reaction to the poll there will be a new subforum soon so was thinking of having the 'Quote contest' as the main thread in Lore main with the OP having a full list of links and other threads to go through!

@Boromir88 and @Drifa I have completed putting all of the quotes you guys had up into the quote bank. So yeah continue with the quotes! (sorry it took so long to get caught up but most of my house is packed and moved for the moment)

Khazad Elder
No problem, @Fuin Elda! Good luck with the move!

I am thinking that we should bold the title of the book ( example:The Two Towers) we are quoting from at the beginning of our posts so that we do not have to use the find on page setting to search and see if a name, place, event, etc., has already been posted from the same book. What do you think?

High Lord of Imladris
@Drifa (and Boromir) No worries about that honestly. I double check quotes that are about the same thing as I have to make sure I don't have multiple headers for the same thing - like Aragorn have gotten quotes from two of you on him and I double check to make sure that they are not duplicates before I put them in. So you two just go gang busters and don't worry about duplicating on your ends (beside there MAY be differences between editions that might be neat) the chances of actually getting the exact same probably won't happen but if it does it'll be my job to catch that before it makes it through to the main quote bank posts.

High Lord of Imladris
@Drifa Bamfurlong
‘I know these fields and this gate!’ he said. ‘This is Bamfurlong, old Farmer Maggot’s land. That’s his farm away there in the trees.’ A Short Cut To Mushrooms, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover) (Pippin)

Is missing it's page number if you could grab that for me that would be great will continue once I have that as I don't want to miss one quote and that's right below that lovely split you gave me.

Thanks

Khazad Elder
Page 120

High Lord of Imladris
Thanks Drifa! (I don't have my Fellowship book here otherwise I'd have looked it up)

High Lord of Imladris
OKAY caught up.

I've picked better positions I think for most of the Snow and Ice quotes as the snow and ice parts for most are descriptors of other more important items. All of them are up though! So we are once again caught up (aside from the quotes for the newest theme!)

@Boromir88 and @Drifa