The Hobbit Quotebank

A place to store the history of the Plaza and gather information and quotes about Tolkien's books
High Lord of Imladris

This thread is dedicated to the quotes from Tolkien's The Hobbit and any subsequent materials based around this particular work.

If you would like to contribute quotes to this thread please submit them to the original thread HERE

For questions or comments - OR to discuss placements of quotes etc Please join us in our OOC and Discussion thread
https://lotrfanaticsplaza.com/forum/vie ... ?f=3&t=608

I ask at this time that you do not post in this thread so that we have room for all of the LOTR based quotes in the subsequent posts to follow.
Thanks.
Last edited by Fuin Elda on Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:00 am, edited 17 times in total.

High Lord of Imladris
The Hobbit Quotes
A - L
Image A
adventure
"...I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." (Gandalf) Page 6, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins, 1999)

adventures
"I should think so - in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them," said our Mr Baggins... Page 6, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins, 1999)

Arkenstone
" The Arkenstone! The Arkenstone!" murmured Thorin in the dark, half dreaming with his chin upon his knees. "It was like a globe with a thousand facets; it shone like silver in the firelight, like water in the sun, like snow under the stars, like rain upon the Moon!" Page 243, Inside Information, The Hobbit, (Houghton Mifflin, 1987, 50 Anniversary Edition Hardcover

...But fairest of all was the great white gem, which the dwarves had found beneath the roots of the Mountain, the Heart of the Mountain, the Arkenstone of Thrain. Page 212, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Attercop
This is what he sang:
Old fat spider spinning in a tree!
Old fat spider can't see me!
Attercop! Attercop!
Won't you stop,
Stop your spinning and look for me?.. (Bilbo)Page 147, Flies and Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum,1977, Softcover)

audacious
"Gandalf, dwarves and Mr Baggins! We are met together in the house of our friend and fellow conspirator, this most excellent and audacious hobbit - may the hair on his toes never fall out! all praise to his wine and ale! - " (Thorin) Page 17, An Unexpexted Party, The Hobbit (Harper Collins, 1995)

...poor Bilbo Baggins, who was wagging his mouth in protest at being called audacious and worst of all fellow conspirator, though no noise came out, he was so flummoxed. Page 17, An Unexpexted Party, The Hobbit (Harper Collins, 1995)
Autumn
They had thought of coming to the secret door in the Lonely Mountain, perhaps that very next first moon of Autumn - and perhaps it will be Durin's Day' they had said. Page 52, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Azog

'I did not "get hold of it", I was given it,' said the wizard. 'Your grandfather Thror was killed, you remember, in the mines of
Moria by Azog the Goblin.' (Gandalf) Page 24, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
B

Bag-End
Suddenly in the wood beyond The Water a flame leapt up - probably somebody lighting a wood-fire - and he thought of plundering dragons settling on his quiet Hill and kindling it all to flames. He shuddered; and very quickly he was plain Mr. Baggins of Bag-End, Under-Hill, again. Page 15 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Baggins
...and people considered them very respectable, not only because most of them were rich, but also because they never had any adventures or did anything unexpected: you could tell what a Baggins would say on any question without the bother of asking him. Page 3, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Harper Collins, 1995)

Balin

'I see they have begun to arrive already,' he said when he caught sight of Dwalin's green hood hanging up. He hung his red one next to it,
and 'Balin at your service!' he said with his hand on his breast. Page 7 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bard(the bowman/the Dragon-shooter)
No one had dared to give battle to him for many an age; nor would they have dared now, if it had not been for the grim-voiced man (Bard was his name), who ran to and fro cheering on the archers and urging the Master to order them to fight to the last arrow. Page 227, Fire and Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

... am the last man to undervalue Bard the Bowman,' said the Master warily (for Bard now stood close beside him).... Page 231, Fire and Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

'He may have a good head for business - especially his own business,' some murmured, 'but he is no good when anything serious happens!' And they praised the courage of Bard and his last mighty shot. 'If only he had not been killed,' they all said, 'we would make him a king. Bard the
Dragon-shooter of the line of Girion! Alas that he is lost!' Page 230, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Barrel
'Very well, O Barrel-rider!' he said aloud. 'Maybe Barrel was your pony's name; and maybe not, though it was fat enough... (Smaug) Page 205, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Barrel-rider
...'I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider,' went on Bilbo beginning to be pleased with his riddling.... Page 205, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Battle of Five Armies
...So began a battle that none had expected; and it was called the Battle of Five Armies, and it was very terrible....Page 257, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Battle of the Green Fields
...He charged the ranks of the goblins of Mount Gram in the Battle of the Green Fields, and knocked their king Golfimbul's head clean
off with a wooden club. It sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit hole, and in this way the battle was won and the
game of Golf invented at the same moment. Page 17, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Beater
...This sword's name was Glamdring the Foehammer, if you remember. The goblins just called it Beater, and hated it worse than Biter if possible. Page 61, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

beer-barrels
He had half a mind to fetch the lamp, and more than half of a mind to pretend to, and go and hide behing the beer-barrels in the cellar, and not come out again untill all the dwarves had gone away. Page 16, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Harper Collins, 1995)

bell
Then the bell rang again louder than ever, and he had to run to the door. Page 10, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Harper Collins, 1995)

Belladonna Took (Mrs. Bungo Baggins)
... As I was saying, the mother of this hobbit - of Bilbo Baggins, that is - was the fabulous Belladonna Took, one of the three remarkable daughters of the Old Took, head of the hobbits who lived across The Water, the small river that ran at the foot of The Hill. Page 2, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Not that Belladonna Took ever had any adventures after she became Mrs. Bungo Baggins. Page 2, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

"...To think I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door." (Gandalf) Page 7, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Harper Collins, 1995)

Beorn
"Beorn may be your friend, but he loves his animals as his children. You do not guess what kindness he has shown you in letting dwarves ride them so far and so fast, nor what would happen to you, if you tried to take them into the forest." (Gandalf) Page 127, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

But even with the Eagles they were still outnumbered. In the last hour Beorn himself had appeared - no one knew how or from where. He came alone, and in bear's shape; and he seemed to have grown almost to giant-size in his wrath. Pages 263-264, The Return Journey, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Bert
William choked. 'Shut yer mouth!' he said as soon as he could. 'Yer can't expect folk to stop here for ever just to be et by you and Bert...' Page 33 Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bifur
'And raspberry jam and apple-tart,' said Bifur. Page 10 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Big People
...I suppose hobbits need some description nowadays, since they have become rare and shy of the Big People, as they call us. Page 2, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bilbo Baggins (Mr.) (The Magnificent)
... As I was saying, the mother of this hobbit - of Bilbo Baggins, that is - was the fabulous Belladonna Took, one of the three remarkable daughters of the Old Took, head of the hobbits who lived across The Water, the small river that ran at the foot of The Hill. Page 2, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

'Yes, yes, my dear sir! - and I do know your name, Mr. Bilbo Baggins. And you do know my name, though you don't remember that I belong to it. I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me! To think that I should have lived to be good-morninged by Belladonna Took's son, as if I was selling buttons at the door!' Page 5, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

'I will take your gift, O Bilbo the Magnificent!' said the king gravely. 'And I name you elf-friend and blessed. May your shadow never grow less (or stealing would be too easy)! Farewell!' Page 269, The Return Journey, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

"I should think so - in these parts! We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them," said our Mr Baggins... Page 6, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins, 1999)

Bill
...'And I won't take that from you. Bill Huggins,' says Bert, and puts his fist in William's eye. Page 35 Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Birthday-present, my
'My birthday-present!' he whispered to himself, as he had often done in the endless dark days. “That's what we wants now, yes; we wants
it!' (Gollum) Page 74-75, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Biter
...They had called it Orcrist, Goblin-cleaver, but the goblins called it simply Biter. They hated it and hated worse any one that carried it. Page 59, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Black Arrow
'Arrow!' said the bowman. 'Black arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my father and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!' Page 229, Fire and Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bladorthin
...They wondered if they were still lying there unharmed in the hall below: the spears that were made for the armies of the great King Bladorthin (long since dead), each had a thrice-forged head and their shafts were inlaid with cunning gold, but they were never delivered or paid for;...Page 212, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Blighter
'Poor little blighter,' said William. He had already had as much supper as he could hold; also he had had lots of beer. 'Poor little blighter! Let him go!' Page 35, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Blue, the
...'Not the Gandalf who was responsible for so many quiet lads and lasses going off into the Blue for mad adventures? Anything from climbing trees to visiting Elves -...' (Bilbo) Page 5, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bofur
'And mince-pies and cheese,' said Bofur. Page 10 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bolg
...'Dread has come upon you all! Alas! It has come more swiftly than I guessed. The Goblins are upon you! Bolg* of the North is coming, O Dain! whose father you slew in Moria....' Page 257, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bombur
'And pork-pie and salad,' said Bombur. Page 10 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Booby
'You're a booby,' said William.
'Booby yerself!' said Tom.
And so the argument began all over again, and went on hotter than ever, until at last they decided to sit on the sacks one by one and squash them, and boil them next time. Page 38, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bullroarer
If you have ever seen a dragon in a pinch, you will realize that this was only poetical exaggeration applied to any hobbit, even to Old Took's
great-granduncle Bullroarer, who was so huge (for a hobbit) that he could ride a horse. Page 17 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bungo Baggins
Not that Belladonna Took ever had any adventures after she became Mrs. Bungo Baggins. Page 2, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Burglar
...If I say he is a Burglar, a Burglar he is, or will be when the time comes.... (Gandalf) Page 18, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Burrahobbit
'A burrahobbit?' said they a bit startled. Trolls are slow in the uptake, and mighty suspicious about anything new to them. Page 34, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Burrows
...stating that on June the Twenty-second Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes would sell by auction the effects of the late Bilbo Baggins Esquire, of Bag-End, Underhill, Hobbiton.... (Gandalf) Page 276, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Bywater
'Thinking it unnecessary to disturb your esteemed repose, we have proceeded in advance to make requisite preparations, and shall await your respected person at the Green Dragon Inn, Bywater, at II a.m. sharp. Trusting that you will be punctual,
'We have the honour to remain
'Yours deeply
'Thorin & Co.' Page 27, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
C

Carc
"They live many a year, and their memories are long, and they hand on their wisdom to their children. I knew many among the ravens of the rocks when I was a dwarf-lad. This very height was once named Ravenhill, because there was a wise and famous pair, old Carc and his wife, that lived here above the guard-chamber." (Balin) Page 235, The Gathering of the Clouds, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

"I am Roäc, son of Carc. Carc is dead, but he was well known to you once. It is a hundred years and three and fifty since I came out of the egg, but I do not forget what my father told me. Now I am the chief of the great ravens of the Mountain. We are few, but we remember still the king that was of old. Most of my people are abroad, for there are great tiding in the South - some are tidings of joy to you, and some will not think so good." Page 235, The Gathering of the Clouds, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Carrock
'...That Somebody made the steps on the great rock - the Carrock I believe he calls it. ...' (Gandalf) Page 105, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

...North of the Carrock the edge of Mirkwood drew closer to the borders of the Great River, and though here the Mountains too drew down nearer, Beorn advised them to take this way; for at a place a few days' ride due north of the Carrock was the gate of a little-known pathway through Mirkwood that led almost straight towards the Lonely Mountain. Page 124, Queer Lodgings,The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Christmas tree
...Fili and Kili were at the top of a tall larch like an enormous Christmas tree.... Page 92, Out Of The Frying-pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Cob
Standing now in the middle of the hunting and spinning insects Bilbo plucked up his courage and began a new song:
Lazy Lob and crazy Cob
are weaving webs to wind me.
I am far more sweet than other meat,
but still they cannot find me! ... Page 148, Flies and Spiders, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Coffee
Some called for ale, and some for porter, and one for coffee, and all of them for cakes; so the hobbit was kept very busy for a while. A big jug of coffee had just been set in the hearth, the seed-cakes were gone, and the dwarves were starting on a round of buttered scones, when there came - a loud knock. Page 9, Chapter 1 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (HarperCollins Publishers, 1997, Hardcover)

'And more cakes - and ale - and coffee, if you don't mind,' called the other dwarves through the door." Page 10, Chapter 1 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (HarperCollins Publishers, 1997, Hardcover)

conies
'What! a furrier, a man that calls rabbits conies, when he doesn't turn their skins into squirrels?' asked Bilbo. Page 107, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Country Round
He loved maps, and in his hall there hung a large one of the Country Round with all his favourite walks marked on it in red ink. Page 19, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Cram
...there they rested for a while and had such a breakfast as they could, chiefly cram and water. (If you want to know what cram is, I can only say that I don't know the recipe; but it is biscuitish, keeps good indefinitely, is supposed to be sustaining, and is certainly not entertaining, being in fact very uninteresting except as a chewing exercise. It was made by the Lake-men for long journeys.) Page 223, Not At Home, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Curse us and crush us
'Where is it? Where iss it?' Bilbo heard him crying.
'Losst it is, my precious, lost, lost! Curse us and crush us, my precious is lost!' (Gollum) Page 76, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

D

Dain
'...But go specially to my cousin Dain in the Iron Hills, for he has many people well-armed, and dwells nearest to this place. Bid him hasten!" (Thorin) Page 248, The Gathering of The Clouds, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Dale
'Because it is too small. "Five feet high the door and three may walk abreast" say the runes, but Smaug could not creep into a hole that size,
not even when he was a young dragon, certainly not after devouring so many of the dwarves and men of Dale. (Gandalf)' Page 19, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Deep-elves
...There the Light-elves and the Deep-elves and the Sea-elves went and lived for ages, and grew fairer and wiser and more learned, and invented their magic and their cunning craft, in the making of beautiful and marvellous things, before some came back into the Wide World. Page 155, Flies and Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Desolation of the Dragon
They were come to the Desolation of the Dragon, and they were come at the waning of the year. Page 187, On The Doorstep, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Dori
He had hardly turned the knob, before they were all inside, bowing and saying 'at your service' one after another. Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, and Gloin were their names;...Page 9, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

diamond studs
"...Not the wandering wizard that gave Old Took a pair of magic diamond studs that fastened themselves and never came undone till ordered?..." Page 7, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Harper Collins, 1995)

disturbing

Dorwinion
It must be potent wine to make a wood-elf drowsy; but this wine, it would seem, was the heady vintage of the great gardens of Dorwinion, not meant for his soldiers or his servants, but for the king's feasts only, and for smaller bowls, not for the butler's great flagons. Page 164, Barrels Out of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Dragon
But men remembered little of all that, though some still sang old songs of the dwarf-kings of the Mountain, Thror and Thrain of the race of Durin, and of the coming of the Dragon, and the fall of the lords of Dale. Page 177, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Back swirled the dragon. A sweep of his tail and the roof of the Great House crumbled and smashed down. Flames unquenchable sprang high into the night. Page 228, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Dragons
Suddenly in the wood beyond The Water a flame leapt up - probably somebody lighting a wood-fire - and he thought of plundering dragons settling on his quiet Hill and kindling it all to flames. He shuddered; and very quickly he was plain Mr. Baggins of Bag-End, Under-Hill, again. Page 15 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Durin
...'The sons of my father's daughter,' answered Thorin, 'Fili and Kili of the race of Durin, and Mr. Baggins who has travelled with us out of the West.' Page 180, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Durin's Day

'Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks,' read Elrond, 'and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole.' Page 50, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Dwalin
It was a dwarf with a blue beard tucked into a golden belt, very bright eyes under his dark-green hood. Page 8, An Unexpected Party The Hobbit (Harper Collins, 1995)

Dwarf-mail
'Fools!' laughed Bard, 'to come thus beneath the Mountain's arm! They do not understand war above ground, whatever they may know of battle in the mines. There are many of our archers and spearmen now hidden in the rocks upon their right flank. Dwarf-mail may be good, but they will soon be hard put to it. Let us set on them now from both sides, before they are fully rested!' Page 256, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

E
Eagles
'The Eagles! The Eagles!' he shouted. 'The Eagles are coming!' (Bilbo) Page 262, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) .

East
...'Indeed I will,' said Thorin, and he fastened it upon a fine chain that hung about his neck and under his jacket. 'Now things begin to look more hopeful. This news alters them much for the better. So far we have had no clear idea what to do. We thought of going East, as quiet and careful as we could, as far as the Long Lake. After that the trouble would begin - '... Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

East of East
...Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last Desert. I had a great-great-great-granduncle once, Bullroarer Took, and --'... (Bilbo) Page 18, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Edge of the Wild
...Even the good plans of wise wizards like Gandalf and of good friends like Elrond go astray sometimes when you are off on dangerous adventures over the Edge of the Wild; and Gandalf was a wise enough wizard to know it. Page 52, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Eggses
But suddenly Gollum remembered thieving from nests long ago, and sitting under the river bank teaching his grandmother, teaching his
grandmother to suck - 'Eggses!' he hissed. 'Eggses it is!'... Page 70, Riddles in The Dark, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Elephants
"Great Elephants!' said Gandalf, 'you are not at all yourself this morning - you have never dusted the mantelpiece!' Page 27, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Elrond
'Where's that?' asked Bilbo,
'Don't interrupt!' said Gandalf. 'You will get there in a few days now, if we're lucky, and find out all about it. As I was saying I met two of Elrond's people.... Page 41, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

He was as noble and as fair in face as an elf-lord, as strong as a warrior, as wise as a wizard, as venerable as a king of dwarves, and as kind as summer. Page 49, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Elvenking
...These were not like those of the goblin-cities: they were smaller, less deep underground, and filled with a cleaner air. In a great hall with pillars hewn out of the living stone sat the Elvenking on a chair of carven wood.... Page 159, Barrels Out of Bond, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Elves
...'Not the Gandalf who was responsible for so many quiet lads and lasses going off into the Blue for mad adventures? Anything from climbing trees to visiting Elves -... (Bilbo) Page 5, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Engagement Tablet
The next day he had almost forgotten about Gandalf. He did not remember things very well, unless he put them down on his Engagement
Tablet: like this: Gandalf Tea Wednesday. Yesterday he had been too flustered to do anything of the kind. Page 8, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Esgaroth

...He had a wicked and a wily heart, and he knew his guesses were not far out, though he suspected that the Lake-men were at the back of the plans, and that most of the plunder was meant to stop there in the town by the shore that in his young days had been called Esgaroth. Page 207, Inside Information, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Expert Treasure-hunter
You may say Expert Treasure-hunter instead of Burglar if you like. Some of them do. It's all the same to us. Gandalf told us that there was a man of the sort in these parts looking for a Job at once, and that he had arranged for a meeting here this Wednesday tea-time.' (Gloin) Page 18, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

F

Faerie
..For most of them (together with their scattered relations in the hills and mountains) were descended from the ancient tribes that never went to Faerie in the West. Page 155, Flies and Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Fili
'What can I do for you, my dwarves?' he said. 'Kili at your service!' said the one. 'And Fili!' added the other; and they both swept off their
blue hoods and bowed. (Bilbo) Page 8, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

First Homely House
It was on May the First that the two came back at last to the brink of the valley of Rivendell, where stood the Last (or the First) Homely House. Page 271, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Foe-hammer
...This, Gandalf, was Glamdring, Foe-hammer that the king of Gondolin once wore. Keep them well!" Page 48, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Forest, the

...for Bard at once had speedy messengers sent up the river to the Forest to ask the aid of the King of the Elves of the Wood, and these messengers had found a host already on the move, although it was then only the third day after the fall of Smaug. Page 233, Fire and Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Forest River
A stream flowed under part of the lowest regions of the palace, and joined the Forest River some way further to the east, beyond the steep
slope out of which the main mouth opened. Page 162-163, Barrels Out of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Front Gate
'We might go from there up along the River Running,' went on Thorin taking no notice, 'and so to the ruins of Dale - the old town in the valley there, under the shadow of the Mountain. But we none of us liked the idea of the Front Gate. The river runs right out of it through the great cliff at the South of the Mountain, and out of it comes the dragon too - far too often, unless he has changed his habits.' Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Front Porch
'Who are these miserable persons?' said the Great Goblin.
'Dwarves, and this!' said one of the drivers, pulling at Bilbo's chain so that he fell forward onto his knees. 'We found them sheltering in our Front Porch.' Page 58, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Fundin
...'O Thorin son of Thrain, and Balin son of Fundin,' he croaked (and Bilbo could understand what he said, for he used ordinary language and
not bird-speech). 'I am Roäc son of Carc. Carc is dead, but he was well known to you once....Page 236, The Gathering of The Clouds, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

furrier
'What! a furrier, a man that calls rabbits conies, when he doesn't turn their skins into squirrels?' asked Bilbo. Page 107, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
G
Galion
'Where's old Galion, the butler?' said one, 'I haven't seen him at the tables tonight. He ought to be her now to show us what is to be done.' Page 168, Barrels Out Of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Gandalf
...Gandalf, too, was lying down after doing his part in setting the fire going, since Oin and Gloin had lost their tinderboxes. (Dwarves have never taken to matches even yet.) Page 102-103, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Girion
...Their captain was Bard, grim-voiced and grim-faced, whose friends had accused him of prophesying floods and poisoned fish, though they knew his worth and courage. He was a descendant in long line of Girion, Lord of Dale, whose wife and child had escaped down the Running River from the ruin long ago.... Page 228-229, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Glamdring
...This sword's name was Glamdring the Foehammer, if you remember. The goblins just called it Beater, and hated it worse than Biter if possible. Page 61, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Gloin
He had hardly turned the knob, before they were all inside, bowing and saying 'at your service' one after another. Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, and Gloin were their names;...Page 9, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

...Gandalf, too, was lying down after doing his part in setting the fire going, since Oin and Gloin had lost their tinderboxes. (Dwarves have never taken to matches even yet.) Page 102-103, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Goblins
Swish, smack! Whip crack!
Batter and beat! Yammer and bleat!
Work, work! Nor dare to shirk,
While Goblins quaff, and Goblins laugh,
Round and round far underground
Below, my lad!
Page 56, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Goblinses

'Ssss, sss, gollum! Goblinses! Yes, but if it's got the present, our precious present, then goblinses will get it, gollum! They'll find it, they'll find out what it does. We shan't ever be safe again, never, gollum! One of the goblinses will put it on, and then no one will see him. He'll be there
but not seen. Not even our clever eyeses will notice him; and he'll come creepsy and tricksy and catch us, gollum, gollum!' Page 78-79, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Goblin-town
Clap! Slap! the black crack?
Grip, grab! Pinch, nab!
And down down to Goblin-town
You go, my lad
!...Page 56, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Goblin-wars
...They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars. They must have come from a dragon's hoard or goblin plunder, for dragons and
goblins destroyed that city many ages ago... (Elrond) Page 48, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Golf

...He charged the ranks of the goblins of Mount Gram in the Battle of the Green Fields, and knocked their king Golfimbul's head clean
off with a wooden club. It sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit hole, and in this way the battle was won and the
game of Golf invented at the same moment. Page 17, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Golfimbul

Gollum
Deep down here by the dark water lived old Gollum, a small slimy creature. I don't know where he came from, nor who or what he was. He
was Gollum - as dark as darkness, except for two big round pale eyes in his thin face. He had a little boat, and he rowed about quite quietly on the lake; for lake it was, wide and deep and deadly cold. He paddled it with large feet dangling over the side, but never a ripple did he make. Not he....Page 66, Riddles in The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Gondolin
...They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars. They must have come from a dragon's hoard or goblin plunder, for dragons and
goblins destroyed that city many ages ago... (Elrond) Page 48, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Good People
'Hush, hush! Good People! and good night!' said Gandalf, who came last. 'Valleys have ears, and some elves have over-merry tongues. Good night!' Page 47, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Great Eagle
As Bilbo listened to the talk of Gandalf he realized that at last they were going to escape really and truly from the dreadful mountains. He was discussing plans with the Great Eagle for carrying the dwarves and himself and Bilbo far away and setting them down well on their journey across the plains below. Page 102, Out Of The Frying-pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Great Goblin
'What do you mean by it?' said the Great Goblin turning to Thorin. 'Up to no good, I'll warrant! Spying on the private business of my people, I guess! Thieves, I shouldn't be surprised to learn! Murderers and friends of Elves, not unlikely! Come! What have you got to say?' Page 58, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

great golden cup of Thror, the

...;the great golden cup of Thror, two-handed, hammered and carven with birds and flowers whose eyes and petals were of jewels:... Page 215, Inside Information, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Great House
Back swirled the dragon. A sweep of his tail and the roof of the Great House crumbled and smashed down. Flames unquenchable sprang high into the night. Page 228, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Great River
...North of the Carrock the edge of Mirkwood drew closer to the borders of the Great River, and though here the Mountains too drew down nearer, Beorn advised them to take this way; for at a place a few days' ride due north of the Carrock was the gate of a little-known pathway through Mirkwood that led almost straight towards the Lonely Mountain. Page 124, Queer Lodgings,The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Great Shelf
Soon another eagle flew up. 'The Lord of the Eagles bids you to bring your prisoners to the Great Shelf,' he cried and was off again. Page 101, Out Of The Frying-pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Green Dragon Inn
'Thinking it unnecessary to disturb your esteemed repose, we have proceeded in advance to make requisite preparations, and shall await your respected person at the Green Dragon Inn, Bywater, at II a.m. sharp. Trusting that you will be punctual,
'We have the honour to remain
'Yours deeply
'Thorin & Co.' Page 27, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Grey Mountains
...Then they halted, for the wizard and Bilbo would not enter the wood, even though the king bade them stay a while in his halls. They intended to go along the edge of the forest, and round its northern end in the waste that lay between it and the beginning of the Grey Mountains.... Page 268-269, The Return Journey, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Grocer
...As soon as I clapped eyes on the little fellow bobbing and puffing on the mat, I had my doubts. He looks more like a grocer than a burglar!'... (Gloin)
Page 17, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Grubb
If he was surprised, they were more surprised still. He had arrived back in the middle of an auction! There was a large notice in black and red hung on the gate, stating that on June the Twenty-second Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Bun-owes would sell by auction the effects of the late
Bilbo Baggins Esquire, of Bag-End, Underhill, Hobbiton. Sale to commence at ten o'clock sharp. Page 276, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Gundabad

Then they marched and gathered by hill and valley, going ever by tunnel or under dark, until around and beneath the great mountain Gundabad of the North, where was their capital, a vast host was assembled ready to sweep down in time of storm unawares upon the South. Page 257-258, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Gunpowder
But not Gandalf. Bilbo's yell had done that much good. It had wakened him up wide in a splintered second, and when goblins came to grab him, there was a terrible flash like lightning in the cave, a smell like gunpowder, and several of them fell dead. Page 55, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
H
Hammers
Hammers, axes, swords, daggers, pickaxes, tongs, and also instruments of torture, they make very well, or get other people to make to their design, prisoners and slaves that have to work till they die for want of air and light. Page 57, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Handses
...'S-s-s-s-s,' hissed Gollum. 'It must give us three guesseses, my preciouss, three guesseses.'
'Very well! Guess away!' said Bilbo.
'Handses!' said Gollum.
'Wrong,' said Bilbo, who had luckily just taken his hand out again. 'Guess again!'... Page 73, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Haymaking
'The summer is getting on down below,' thought Bilbo, 'and haymaking is going on and picnics. They will be harvesting and blackberrying, before we even begin to go down the other side at this rate.' Page 51, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Heart of the Mountain, the
...But fairest of all was the great white gem, which the dwarves had found beneath the roots of the Mountain, the Heart of the Mountain, the Arkenstone of Thrain. Page 212, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Hero
'That would be no good,' said the wizard, 'not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neighbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply lot to be found....Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

High Elves
...'These are not troll-make. They are old swords, very old swords of the High Elves of the West, my kin. They were made in Gondolin for the Goblin-wars.... Page 48, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Hill
...Suddenly in the wood beyond The Water a flame leapt up - probably somebody lighting a wood-fire - and he thought of plundering dragons settling on his quiet Hill and kindling it all to flames.... Page 15, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

High Pass
'They are on their way to visit the land of their fathers, away east beyond Mirkwood, ' put in Gandalf, 'and it is entirely an accident that we
are in your lands at all. We were crossing by the High Pass that should have brought us to the road that lies to the south of your country, when
we were attacked by the evil goblins - as I was about to tell you.' Page 111, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

History
The master of the house was an elf-friend - one of those people whose fathers came into the strange stories before the beginning of History, the wars of the evil goblins and the elves and the first men in the North. Page 47, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Hobbit's Holiday
One autumn evening some years afterwards Bilbo was sitting in his study writing his memoirs - he thought of calling them 'There and Back Again, a Hobbit's Holiday' - when there was a ring at the door. It was Gandalf and a dwarf; and the dwarf was actually Balin. Page 277-278, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Hobbiton

If he was surprised, they were more surprised still. He had arrived back in the middle of an auction! There was a large notice in black and red
hung on the gate, stating that on June the Twenty-second Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes would sell by auction the effects of the late
Bilbo Baggins Esquire, of Bag-End, Underhill, Hobbiton. Sale to commence at ten o'clock sharp.... Page 276, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Horse
If you have ever seen a dragon in a pinch, you will realize that this was only poetical exaggeration applied to any hobbit, even to Old Took's
great-granduncle Bullroarer, who was so huge (for a hobbit) that he could ride a horse. Page 17 An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Huggins, Bill

'And I won't take that from you. Bill Huggins,' says Bert, and puts his fist in William's eye. Page 35, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Humph
This is what he heard, Gloin speaking: 'Humph!' (or some snort more or less like that). Page 17, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
I
Insect eyes
...But the eyes that he liked the least were horrible pale bulbous sort of eyes. 'Insect eyes' he thought, 'not animal eyes, only they are much too
big.' (Bilbo) Page 130, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Invisible Baggins (Mr.)
...until in fact the remarkable Mr. Invisible Baggins (of whom he began to have a very high opinion indeed) had altogether failed to think of something clever. Page 162, Barrels Out Of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Iron Hills

This song appeared to please Thorin, and he smiled again and grew merry; and he began reckoning the distance to the Iron Hills and how long it would be before Dain could reach the Lonely Mountain, if he had set out as soon as the message reached him. But Bilbo's heart fell, both at the song and the talk: they sounded much too warlike. Page 241, The Gathering Of The Clouds, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
J
jack-in-the-boxes
"Hullo!" said Beorn. "You came pretty quick-where were you hiding? Come on my jack-in-the-boxes!" Page 114, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Job
...Gandalf told us that there was a man of the sort in these parts looking for a Job at once, and that he had arranged for a meeting here this Wednesday tea-time.' (Gloin) Page 18, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)(Gloin)

K
Kili
'What can I do for you, my dwarves?' he said. 'Kili at your service!' said the one. 'And Fili!' added the other; and they both swept off their
blue hoods and bowed. (Bilbo) Page 8, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Kings
They built the merry town of Dale there in those days. Kings used to send for our smiths, and reward even the least skilful most richly. Page 21-22, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

King Bard
'King Bard! King Bard!' they shouted; but the Master ground his chattering teeth. Page 231, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

King beneath the Mountain, the
...'The King beneath the Mountain!' they shouted. 'His wealth is like the Sun, his silver like a fountain, his rivers golden run! The river is running
gold from the Mountain!' they cried, and everywhere windows were opening and feet were hurrying.... Page 226, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

King of All Birds
...And so they parted. And though the lord of the eagles became in after days the King of All Birds and wore a golden crown, and his fifteen chieftains golden collars (made of the gold that the dwarves gave them), Bilbo never saw them again-except high and far off in the battle of Five Armies. But as that comes in at the end of this tale we will say no more about it just now. Page 104, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

King of the Elves of the Wood
...Probably most of them would have perished in the winter that now hurried after autumn, if help had not been to hand. But help came swiftly; for Bard at once had speedy messengers sent up the river to the Forest to ask the aid of the King of the Elves of the Wood, and these messengers had found a host already on the move, although it was then only the third day after the fall of Smaug. Page 233, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

King under the Mountain
...Anyway they grew immensely rich and famous, and my grandfather was King under the Mountain again and treated with great reverence by the mortal men, who lived to the South, and were gradually spreading up the Running River as far as the valley overshadowed by the Mountain.... Page 21, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
L

laburnums
"...They used to go up like great lilies and snapdragons and laburnums of fire and hang in the twilight all evening!"(Bilbo) magic Page 7, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Harper Collins, 1995)

Lake-men

'Very well, very well,' they answered rolling the barrels to the opening. 'On your head be it, if the king's full butter-tubs and his best
wine is pushed into the river for the Lake-men to feast on for nothing!' Page 168, Barrels Out Of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Lake-people
The old Master had come to a bad end. Bard had given him much gold for the help of the Lake-people, but being of the kind that easily catches such disease he fell under the dragon-sickness, and took most of the gold and fled with it, and died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions. Page 278, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Lake-town
Hiding behind one of the largest barrels Bilbo discovered the trapdoors and their use, and lurking there, listening to the talk of the king's servants, he learned how the wine and other goods came up the rivers, or over land, to the Long Lake.... Page 163, Barrels Out Of Bond, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Land Beyond, the
'Good heavens!' he exclaimed. 'I seem to have got right to the other side of the Misty Mountains, right to the edge of the Land Beyond! Where and O where can Gandalf and the dwarves have got to? I only hope to goodness they are not still back there in the power of the goblins!' Page 84, Out Of The Frying-Pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

Lands over West, the
...'We did not mean to. They surprised us at night in a pass which we had to cross, we were coming out of the Lands over West into these countries - it is a long tale.' (Gandalf) Page 110, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Last Desert
...Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last Desert. I had a great-great-great-granduncle once, Bullroarer Took, and --'... (Bilbo)Page 18, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Last Homely House, the
They asked him where he was making for, and he answered: 'You are come to the very edge of the Wild, as some of you may know. Hidden somewhere ahead of us is the fair valley of Rivendell where Elrond lives in the Last Homely House. I sent a message by my friends, and we are
expected.' (Gandalf) Page 43, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Lazy Lob

Lazy Lob and crazy Cob
are weaving webs to wind me.
I am far more sweet than other meat,
but still they cannot find me!

Here am I, naughty little fly;
you are fat and lazy.
You cannot trap me, though you try,
in your cobwebs crazy.
(Bilbo) Page 148, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Light-elves
...There the Light-elves and the Deep-elves and the Sea-elves went and lived for ages, and grew fairer and wiser and more learned, and invented their magic and their cunning craft, in the making of beautiful and marvellous things, before some came back into the Wide World. Page 155, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

lilies
"...They used to go up like great lilies and snapdragons and laburnums of fire and hang in the twilight all evening!"(Bilbo) magic Page 7, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Harper Collins, 1995)

Lone-lands, the
...Then they came to lands where people spoke strangely, and sang songs Bilbo had never heard before. Now they had gone on far into the Lone-lands, where there were no people left, no inns, and the roads grew steadily worse.... Page 29, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Long Marshes
...Stick to the forest-track, keep your spirits up, hope for the best, and with a tremendous slice of luck you may come out one day and see the Long Marshes lying below you, and beyond them, high in the East, the Lonely Mountain where dear old Smaug lives, though I hope he is not expecting you.' Page 128, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Gandalf)

Lonely Mountain, the
'Of course not!' said Balin. 'That is only the beginning of the Misty Mountains, and we have to get through, or over, or under those somehow, before we can come into Wilderland beyond. And it is a deal of a way even from the other side of them to the Lonely Mountain in the East
Where Smaug lies on our treasure.' Page 42, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Longbeards
'Durin, Durin!' said Thorin. 'He was the father of the fathers of the eldest race of Dwarves, the Longbeards, and my first ancestor: I am his heir.' Page 50, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Long Lake
'Indeed I will,' said Thorin, and he fastened it upon a fine chain that hung about his neck and under his jacket.
'Now things begin to look more hopeful. This news alters them much for the better. So far we have had no clear idea what to do. We thought of going East, as quiet and careful as we could, as far as the Long Lake... Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Lord of the Eagles, the
'What's all this uproar in the forest tonight?' said the Lord of the Eagles. He was sitting, black in the moonlight, on the top of a lonely pinnacle of rock at the eastern edge of the mountains. 'I hear wolves' voices! Are the goblins at mischief in the woods?' Page 96, Out Of The Frying-Pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Lower Halls
'There is one point that you haven't noticed,' said the wizard, 'and that is the secret entrance. You see that rune on the West side, and the hand pointing to it from the other runes? That marks a hidden passage to the Lower Halls.' Page 19, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Luckwearer
'I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider,' went on Bilbo beginning to be pleased with his riddling. Page 205, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover).

Lumme
'What is it?' said the others coming up.
'Lumme, if I knows! What are yer?'
'Bilbo Baggins, a bur' a hobbit,' said poor Bilbo, shaking all over, and wondering how to make owl-noises before they throttled him. Page 34, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
Last edited by Fuin Elda on Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:23 am, edited 14 times in total.

High Lord of Imladris
THE HOBBIT QUOTES (M-Z)

M

magic
"...Not the wandering wizard that gave Old Took a pair of magic diamond studs that fastened themselves and never came undone till ordered?..." Page 7, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Harper Collins, 1995)

Master (Sauron)
...But who knows how Gollum came by that present, ages ago in the old days when such rings were still at large in the world? Perhaps even the Master who ruled them could not have said....Page 75, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Master of Lake-town, the
Then the Master hesitated and looked from one to the other. The Elvenking was very powerful in those parts and the Master wished for no enmity with him, nor did he think much of old songs, giving his mind to trade and tolls, to cargoes and gold, to which habit he owed his position. Page 182, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

The old Master had come to a bad end. Bard had given him much gold for the help of the Lake-people, but being of the kind that easily catches such disease he fell under the dragon-sickness, and took most of the gold and fled with it, and died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions. Page 276, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

... am the last man to undervalue Bard the Bowman,' said the Master warily (for Bard now stood close beside him).... Page 231, Fire and Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

'He may have a good head for business - especially his own business,' some murmured, 'but he is no good when anything serious happens!' And they praised the courage of Bard and his last mighty shot. 'If only he had not been killed,' they all said, 'we would make him a king. Bard the
Dragon-shooter of the line of Girion! Alas that he is lost!' Page 230, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Matches

Merry People
'Well, Merry People!' said Bilbo looking out. 'What time by the moon is this? Your lullaby would waken a drunken dragon! Yet I thank you.' Page 273, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mill, great
To the end of his days Bilbo could never remember how he found himself outside, without a hat, walking stick or any money, or anything that he usually took when he went out; leaving his second breakfast half finished and quite unwashed-up, pushing his keys into Gandalf's hands, and running as fast as his furry feet could carry him down the lane, past the great Mill, across The Water, and then on for a whole mile or more. Very puffed he was, when he got to Bywater just on the stroke of eleven, and found he had come without a pocket-handkerchief! Page 28, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mines of Moria
...Dwarves had not passed that way for many years, but Gandalf had, and he knew how evil and danger had grown and thriven in the Wild, since the dragons had driven men from the lands, and the goblins had spread in secret after the battle of the Mines of Moria.... Page 52, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mirkwood
'Well, here is Mirkwood!' said Gandalf. 'The greatest of the forests of the Northern world. I hope you like the look of it. Now you must send back these excellent ponies you have borrowed.' Page 125-126, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mister Baggins
...O! Where are you going
With beards all a-wagging?
No knowing, no knowing
What brings Mister Baggins,
And Balin and Dwalin
down into the valley
in June
ha! ha
!... Page 45, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Misty Mountains
Now Gandalf led the way. 'We must not miss the road, or we shall be done for,' he said. 'We need food, for one thing, and rest in reasonable safety-also it is very necessary to tackle the Misty Mountains by the proper path, or else you will get lost in them, and have to come back and start at the beginning again (if you ever get back at all).' Page 42-43, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Moneybags
... And people further off took up the cry: 'Up the Bowman, and down with Moneybags,' till the clamour echoed along the shore. Page 231, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Moon-letters
'Moon-letters are rune-letters, but you cannot see them,' said Elrond, 'not when you look straight at them. They can only be seen when the moon shines behind them, and what is more, with the more cunning sort it must be a moon of the same shape and season as the day when they were written. The dwarves invented them and wrote them with silver pens, as your friends could tell you. These must have been written on a
midsummer's eve in a crescent moon, a long while ago.' Page 49, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Moria
'Your grandfather,' said the wizard slowly and grimly, 'gave the map to his son for safety before he went to the mines of Moria. Your father went away to try his luck with the map after your grandfather was killed; and lots of adventures of a most unpleasant sort he had, but he never got near the Mountain. How he got there I don't know, but I found him a prisoner in the dungeons of the Necromancer.' Page 24, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mount Gram
...He charged the ranks of the goblins of Mount Gram in the Battle of the Green Fields, and knocked their king Golfimbul's head clean off with a wooden club. It sailed a hundred yards through the air and went down a rabbit hole, and in this way the battle was won and the game of Golf invented at the same moment. Page 17, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mountain-king
The streams shall run in gladness,
The lakes shall shine and burn,
And sorrow fail and sadness
At the Mountain-king's return!
... Page 182, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Murderers
'Murderers and elf-friends!' the Great Goblin shouted. 'Slash them! Beat them! Bite them! Gnash them! Take them away to dark holes full of snakes, and never let them see the light again!' He was in such a rage that he jumped off his seat and himself rushed at Thorin with his mouth
open. Page 59, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Museum
...His coat of mail was arranged on a stand in the hall (until he lent it to a Museum).... Page 277, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Mutton
'Mutton yesterday, mutton today, and blimey, if it don't look like mutton again tomorrer,' said one of the trolls.... Pate 32-33, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)
N

Nain
'We are sent from Dain son of Nain,' they said when questioned. 'We are hastening to our kinsmen in the Mountain, since we learn that
the kingdom of old is renewed. But who are you that sit in the plain as foes before defended walls?' Page 255, The Clouds Burst, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Nasty

necklace of Girion
...the necklace of Girion, Lord of Dale, made of five hundred emeralds green as grass, which he gave for the arming of his eldest son in a coat of dwarf-linked rings the like of which had never been made before, for it was wrought of pure silver to the power and strength of triple steel.... Page 215, Inside Information, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Necromancer
'We have long ago paid the goblins of Moria,' said Thorin; 'we must give a thought to the Necromancer.'... Page 25, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

New Year
'The first day of the dwarves' New Year,' said Thorin, 'is as all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of
Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together. But this will not help us much, I fear, for it
passes our skill in these days to guess when such a time will come again.' Page 50, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Night
Sing all ye joyful, now sing all together?
The wind's in the free-top, the wind's in the heather;
The stars are in blossom, the moon is in flower,
And bright are the windows of Night in her tower.
Page 273, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Nori

North
...There were lots of dragons in the North in those days, and gold was probably getting scarce up there, with the dwarves flying south or getting killed, and all the general waste and destruction that dragons make going from bad to worse.... Page 22, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

O

Oakenshield, Thorin
Then they hung up two yellow hoods and a pale green one; and also a sky-blue one with a long silver tassel. This last belonged to Thorin,
an enormously important dwarf, in fact no other than the great Thorin Oakenshield himself, who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo's
mat with Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur on top of him.... Page 10, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Old fool (Smaug)
'Dazzlingly marvellous! Perfect! Flawless! Staggering!' exclaimed Bilbo aloud, but what he thought inside was: 'Old fool! Why there is a large patch in the hollow of his left breast as bare as a snail out of its shell!' Page 208, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Old Tomnoddy
...Old Tomnoddy, all big body,
Old Tomnoddy can't spy me!
Attercop! Attercop!
Down you drop!
You'll never catch me up your tree
!... Page 147, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Old Took
...He had not been down that way under The Hill for ages and ages, not since his friend the Old Took died, in fact, and the hobbits had almost forgotten what he looked like.... Page 3, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

old Worm's, the
"I think you did very well, if you ask me - you found out one very useful thing at any rate, and got home alive, and that is more than most can say who have had words with the likes of Smaug. It may be a mercy and a blessing yet to know of the bare patch in the old Worm's diamond waistcoat." Page 213, Inside Information, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover) (Balin)

Ori

Oin

Orcrist
...They had called it Orcrist, Goblin-cleaver, but the goblins called it simply Biter. They hated it and hated worse any one that carried it. Page 59, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

P

Presumed Dead
...In short Bilbo was 'Presumed Dead,' and not everybody that said so was sorry to find the presumption wrong. Page 276, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Poor Old Baggins
He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves; and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy to the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long. Page 277, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Q

R

Ravenhill
...They made their first camp on the western side of the great southern spur, which ended in a height called Ravenhill. On this there had been an old watch-post; but they dared not climb it yet, it was too exposed.... Page 187, On The Doorstep, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Revenge
'I tell you,' he said, in an effort to remain loyal to his friends and to keep his end up, 'that gold was only an afterthought with us. We came over hill and under hill, by wave and win, for Revenge. Surely, O Smaug the unassessably wealthy, you must realize that your success has made you some bitter enemies?' (Bilbo) Page 207, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Ringwinner
'I am the friend of bears and the guest of eagles. I am Ringwinner and Luckwearer; and I am Barrel-rider,' went on Bilbo beginning to be pleased with his riddling. Page 205, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover).

Rivendell
'I went on to spy out our road. It will soon become dangerous and difficult. Also I was anxious about replenishing our small stock of provisions. I had not gone very far, however, when I met a couple of friends of mine from Rivendell.' Page 41, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

River Running
...They made north-west, slanting away from the River Running, and drawing ever nearer and nearer to a great spur of the Mountain that was flung out southwards towards them.... Page 186, On The Doorstep, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Roäc
"O Thorin son of Thrain, and Balin son of Fundin," he croaked (and Bilbo could understand what he said, for he used ordinary language and not bird-speech). "I am Roäc, son of Carc. Carc is dead, but he was well known to you once. It is a hundred years and three and fifty since I came out of the egg, but I do not forget what my father told me. Now I am the chief of the great ravens of the Mountain. We are few, but we remember still the king that was of old. Most of my people are abroad, for there are great tiding in the South - some are tidings of joy to you, and some will not think so good." Page 235, The Gathering of the Clouds, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

rocks and blocks
Out jumped the goblins, big goblins, great ugly-looking goblins, lots of goblins, before you could say rocks and blocks.... Page 55, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

S

Sackville-Bagginses
...Bilbo's cousins the Sackville-Bagginses were, in fact, busy measuring his rooms to see if their own furniture would fit.... Page 276, The Last Stage,The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Sale
...The people who had got specially good bargains at the Sale took a deal of convincing; and in the end to save time Bilbo had to buy back quite a lot of his own furniture.... Page 276-277, The Last Stage, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Sea-elves

...There the Light-elves and the Deep-elves and the Sea-elves went and lived for ages, and grew fairer and wiser and more learned, and invented their magic and their cunning craft, in the making of beautiful and marvellous things, before some came back into the Wide World.... Page 155, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Side-door
... That is why I settled on burglary - especially when I remembered the existence of a Side-door... (Gandalf) Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

skin-changer

'Yes it certainly is! No I could not! And I was explaining very carefully,' answered the wizard crossly. 'If you must know more, his name is Beorn. He is very strong, and he is a skin-changer.' Page 106, Queer Lodgings, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Smaug
'Because it is too small. "Five feet high the door and three may walk abreast" say the runes, but Smaug could not creep into a hole that size,
not even when he was a young dragon, certainly not after devouring so many of the dwarves and men of Dale. (Gandalf)' Page 19, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

'I might have guessed it,' said Bilbo. 'Truly there can nowhere be found the equal of Lord Smaug the Impenetrable. What magnificence to possess a waistcoat of fine diamonds!' Page 208, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

'It may have been secret once,' said Thorin, 'but how do we know that it is secret any longer? Old Smaug had lived there long enough now to find out anything there is to know about those caves.' Page 19, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

'I tell you,' he said, in an effort to remain loyal to his friends and to keep his end up, 'that gold was only an afterthought with us. We came over hill and under hill, by wave and win, for Revenge. Surely, O Smaug the unassessably wealthy, you must realize that your success has made
you some bitter enemies?' (Bilbo) Page 207, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

'Truly songs and tales fall utterly short of the reality, O Smaug the Chiefest and Greatest of Calamities,' replied Bilbo.... Page 204, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

'You don't know everything, O Smaug the Mighty,' said he. 'Not gold alone brought us hither.' Page 206, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

'No thank you, O Smaug the Tremendous!' he replied. 'I did not come for presents. I only wished to have a look at you and see if you were
truly as great as tales say. I did not believe them.' Page 204, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

'Thorin!' he cried aloud. 'What next? We are armed, but what good has any armour ever been before against Smaug the Dreadful? This treasure is not yet won back. We are not looking for gold yet, but for a way of escape; and we have tempted luck too long!' (Bilbo) Page 220, Not At Home, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

snapdragons

South
In spite of the dangers of this far land bold men had of late been making their way back into it from the South, cutting down trees, and building themselves places to live in among the more pleasant woods in the valleys and along the river-shores... Page 94, Out Of The Frying-pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Sssss
'Sssss,' said Gollum, and became quite polite. 'Praps ye sits here and chats with it a bitsy, my preciousss. It like riddles, praps it does, does it?' Page 67, Riddles In The Dark, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Sting
'I will give you a name,' he said to it, 'and I shall call you Sting.' (Bilbo) Page 144, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Sun
...'The King beneath the Mountain!' they shouted. 'His wealth is like the Sun, his silver like a fountain, his rivers golden run! The river is running
gold from the Mountain!' they cried, and everywhere windows were opening and feet were hurrying.... Page 226, Fire And Water, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

T

The Hill
The dark came into the room from the little window that opened in the side of The Hill; the firelight flickered - it was April - and still they played
on, while the shadow of Gandalf's beard wagged against the wall. Page 14, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

The Water
'Good morning!' he said at last. 'We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water.' By this he meant that the conversation was at an end...Page 6, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Thief in the Shadows
...Then I was but young and tender. Now I am old and strong, strong strong. Thief in the Shadows!' he gloated.... (Smaug) Page 208, Inside Information, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Thorin (Thrain's son Thror's son)
'Certainly, O Thorin Thrain's son Thror's son!' was what he said. 'You must claim your own. The hour is at hand, spoken of old. What help we can offer shall be yours, and we trust to your gratitude when your kingdom is regained.' (Master, the) Page 185, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

...Then they hung up two yellow hoods and a pale green one; and also a sky-blue one with a long silver tassel. This last belonged to Thorin,
an enormously important dwarf, in fact no other than the great Thorin Oakenshield himself, who was not at all pleased at falling flat on Bilbo's
mat with Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur on top of him.... Page 11, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Thorin & Co.
"We have the honour to remain
"Yours deeply
"Thorin & Co." Page 29, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Thrain the Old
...It had been discovered by my far ancestor, Thrain the Old, but now they mined and they tunnelled and they made huger halls and greater workshops - and in addition I believe they found a good deal of gold and a great many jewels too.... Page 22, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Thror
"What else do you suppose a burglar is to do?" asked Bilbo angrily. "I was not engaged to kill dragons, that is warrior's work, but to steal treasure. I made the best beginning I could. Did you expect me to trot back with the whole hoard of Thror on my back?... Page 205, Inside Information The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

tinder and flint
...There were six to each dwarf, at least, and two even for Bilbo; and they were all grabbed and carried through the crack, before you could say tinder and flint.... Page 55, Over Hill and Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Tom
"There's more to come yet," said Tom, "or I'm mighty mistook. Lots and none at all, it is," said he. "No burrahobbits, but lots of these here
dwarves. That's about the shape of it!" Page 37, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Took
...It was often said (in other families) that long ago one of the Took ancestors must have taken a fairy wife. That was, of course, absurd, but certainly there was still something not entirely hobbit-like about them, - and once in a while members of the Took-clan would go and have adventures.... Page 4, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Tookish
...Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.... Page 16, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

trolls
...But they were trolls. Obviously trolls. Even Bilbo, in spite of his sheltered life, could see that: from the great heavy faces of them, and their size, and the shape of their legs, not to mention their language, which was not drawing-room fashion at all, at all. Page 34, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Trolls' lair
"He is a liar, O truly tremendous one!" said one of the drivers. "Several of our people were struck by lightning in the cave, when we invited these creatures to come below; and they are as dead as stones. Also he has not explained this!" He held out the sword which Thorin had
worn, the sword which came from the Trolls' lair. Page 61, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Trolls' purse
It was! Trolls' purses are the mischief, and this was no exception. "'Ere, 'oo are you?" it squeaked, as it left the pocket; and William turned
round at once and grabbed Bilbo by the neck, before he could duck behind the tree. Page 35, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

U

Under-hill
You will hardly believe it, but poor Bilbo was really very taken aback. So far all his thoughts and energies had been concentrated on getting to the Mountain and finding the entrance. He had never bothered to wonder how the treasure was to be removed, certainly never how any part of it that might fall to his share was to be brought back all the way to Bag-End Under-Hill. Page 210, Inside Information The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

V

W

Wain
...Only from the map did Bilbo know that away up there, where the stars of the Wain were already twinkling, the Running River came down into the lake from Dale and with the Forest River filled with deep waters what must once have been a great deep rocky valley.... Page 176, A Warm Welcome, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Wargs
But even the wild Wargs (for so the evil wolves over the Edge of the Wild were named) cannot climb trees. For a time they were safe.... Page 95, Out Of The Frying-pan Into The Fire, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Warrior
'That would be no good,' said the wizard, 'not without a mighty Warrior, even a Hero. I tried to find one; but warriors are busy fighting one another in distant lands, and in this neighbourhood heroes are scarce, or simply lot to be found....Page 20, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Waste, the
The old Master had come to a bad end. Bard had given him much gold for the help of the Lake-people, but being of the kind that easily catches such disease he fell under the dragon-sickness, and took most of the gold and fled with it, and died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions. Page 280, The Last Stage, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

West
...Far, far away in the West, where things were blue and faint, Bilbo knew there lay his own country of safe and comfortable things, and his little hobbit-hole. He shivered.... Page 51, Over Hill And Under Hill, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Western Land
...But I am afraid he was not thinking much of the job, but of what lay beyond the blue distance, the quiet Western Land and the Hill and his hobbit-hole under it. Page 193, On The Doorstep, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Wide World

...There the Light-elves and the Deep-elves and the Sea-elves went and lived for ages, and grew fairer and wiser and more learned, and invented their magic and their cunning craft, in the making of beautiful and marvellous things, before some came back into the Wide World.... Page 155, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

wild Were-worms, the
...Tell me what you want done, and I will try it, if I have to walk from here to the East of East and fight the wild Were-worms in the Last Desert. I had a great-great-great-granduncle once, Bullroarer Took, and --'...Page 18, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit, (Magnum, 1977, Softcover) (Bilbo)

William
...'And I won't take that from you. Bill Huggins,' says Bert, and puts his fist in William's eye. Page 35 Roast Mutton, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Winter
'The first day of the dwarves' New Year,' said Thorin, 'is as all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of
Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together. But this will not help us much, I fear, for it
passes our skill in these days to guess when such a time will come again.' Page 50, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Withered Heath
'I don't see that this will help us much,' said Thorin disappointedly after a glance. 'I remember the Mountain well enough and the lands about it. And I know where Mirkwood is, and the Withered Heath where the great dragon bred.'...Page 19, An Unexpected Party, The Hobbit (Magnum, 1977, Softcover)

Wood-elves
The feasting people were Wood-elves, of course. These are not wicked folk. If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers.... Page 156, Flies And Spiders, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Worm of Dread

Under the Mountain dark and tall
The King has come unto his hall!
His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread,
And ever so his foes shall fall....
Page 242, The Gathering Of The Clouds, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

X

Y

Yer
"And can yer cook 'em?" said Tom.
"Yer can try," said Bert, picking up a skewer. Page 35, Roast Mutton, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Your Magnificence
After he had seen that Mr. Baggins' one idea was to get away. "Well, I really must not detain Your Magnificence any longer," he said, "or keep you from much needed rest. Ponies take some catching, I believe, after a long start. And so do burglars," he added as a parting shot, as he darted back and fled up the tunnel. Page 211, Inside Information, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Yule-tide
...Anyway by mid-winter Gandalf and Bilbo had come all the way back, along both edges of the Forest, to the doors of Beorn's house; and there for a while they both stayed. Yule-tide was warm and merry there; and men came from far and wide to feast at Beorn's bidding. Page 271, The Return Journey, The Hobbit, (Harper Collins Publisher, 1999, Softcover)

Z