Icon Workshop

A place to store the history of the Plaza and gather information and quotes about Tolkien's books
Warrior of Imladris
Ahhh you made me nostalgic for my eagle.

Here are Beorn and Gwaihir from that brief period when TaBA was a thing.

The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Weathered Ent
Very nice. They turned out nicer then the icons I made. I had made mine for an RPG I was running in Fangorn. It was moderately successful. I have always loved Eagles. I have a index finger ring with an eagle face.
Huorn of Fangorn

Warrior of Imladris
Oh don't credit me for them. :smiley12: They were admin icons, so I think PG made them.

Yours are all different, and since so many people wanted to RP as eagles, I imagine they would have been very loved. :smiley22:
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Weathered Ent
Oh, no wonder they look so good. None of us can hold a candle to Peeg's beautiful icon mastery. I do art as a hobby, but it looks like hen scratch - Erm Huorn scratch next to Peeg's beautiful work.
Huorn of Fangorn

Warrior of Imladris
I'd like to do art as a hobby ... work is getting in the way right now, but I've signed up for a couple of courses. If the plaza stays alive, I may even be brave and put up my own chicken scratch :smiley9: I'd like to compare it with the art I did back then (and recently found on photobucket!)

Chef
I was digging through some dusty old files on my dusty old computer and I apparently saved some icons after all! Why I have the highest hobbit rank without the number I have no idea. I also found the whole set of Alice in Wonderland Halloween icons but I'll spare y'all those.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
they/them/actual hobbit in search of a merrier world

New Soul
Aww, look at all those cute icons.
Wait! Don't spare us the Halloween icons! Unspare us, please! I want to see them. XD
they/he/mischief

Guardian of Imladris
I had a couple buried in my files too! Ugh, it's such a punch in the nostalgia feels to see all these again, and so many that I enjoyed wearing!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Warrior of Imladris
@Narv - you are squirreling these away, right? ;)
Last edited by Lirimaer on Sat May 30, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chef
@Mor Toast Haha OK, here they are! I have the pictures that I think were used for the Doctor Who and Firefly Halloween icons too, but I didn't save the icons themselves, which is a bummer. No idea why I saved these ones.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Black Númenórean
Lol I posted this and then deleted it because Sil had already posted it but then realized this version is bigger so here it is again in case anyone needs/wants it :smiley16:

Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Elven Enchanter
Oh my, these are even more trips down memory lane. Thanks for sharing all these.
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

New Soul
@Menolly Excellent! I wish I had kept any of the Halloween plaza icons. It's so great to see all these again!
they/he/mischief

Scholar of Gondor
Menolly wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:00 am These are great! I think I had some icons saved in my photobucket account, but I tried three different email addresses and photobucket doesn't seem to remember any of them. Does anyone know if they delete accounts after a long while? It's probably been seven or eight years since I last logged in.
@Menolly[/mention, I check my PB account every so often and I get this message every time about needing to purchase an account because I'm breaking the law and the photo police are going to break down my door soon. Okay, it didn't really say that, but it was something like that. The account is still sitting there.

Why is this all red? Trying to write from my phone is a pain. :smiley20:

Weathered Ent
@Quill Love the Fangorn tribute rank. I recall wearing that one for a season. I was also Beorn for a while. Another I was given by the Admins was Laurelin.
Huorn of Fangorn

Chef
@Finduilas Faelivrin I figured it out eventually, turns out it was the fourth old email address! Everything was still there but apparently I cleaned it out fairly regularly so I only had some recent banners and pictures for games I ran as a ruler. Also, looking from a computer, it looks like the mention code didn't play well with your post. I haven't tried to post yet from my phone because I imagine it would be a real pain for me too.

Knight of The Mark
Halloween icons, saved these because i LOVE Snoopy.
Image Image

My favourite halloween icon other than Snoopy and Woodstock.

Palantír
Last edited by Rior Laegiel on Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rohirrim at heart, always.

New Soul
Snoopy! Cute. Did Rohan have the Peanuts for a Halloween?

As far as Photobucket, I haven't even dared try to dig into my old account. I don't know if I would remember anything about how to get in, even if photobucket were still a viable option. Anything I've managed it pulling from way back machine, and occasionally, I saved a photo when copying over rp posts or OPs into my google drive.
they/he/mischief

Black Númenórean
Ahhh these are all amazing to see. The Snoopy ones are so cute, @Rior Laegiel!

I should try to find the external hard drive that has a bunch of stuff from old Plaza days backed up on it. That was one or two computers ago . . .
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Knight of The Mark
@Mor Toast I don't remember if they did but I know that the last plaza halloween I can recall didn't have a theme for each kingdom/region. Instead everyone got to choose who to be from a big list of icons. I think the admins gathered all the characters from previous halloweens.
Last edited by Rior Laegiel on Fri May 22, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rohirrim at heart, always.

New Soul
Ah, yes I think I remember that. We used to do it by Kingdom/Region, I'm pretty sure-- but choosing from the list sounds familiar.

If this place exists around Halloween, it'll be interesting to see the shenanigans we create...
they/he/mischief

Elven Enchanter
The conversations regarding Halloween icons have already begun, at least in some circles. *rubs hands mischievously*

Also, @Arothir discovered a handful of the old bird icons from early Wildlerland days last night.

Councillor of Imladris
I regret nothing, though it does appear that the bird era for Wilderland was for only a very brief period before they changed to the western gate of Khazad Dum.

New Soul
*ears perk up at the mention of Halloween icons*
*appears in thread, summoned*

@Arothir Did you post the Wilderland icons somewhere?
they/he/mischief

Councillor of Imladris
I did not, mostly because it was in the wee hours of the morning, but I now know where to look. 2009 Plaza had a few of them in threads, but never a full set. Will have to sit down and compile this later.

Elven Enchanter
Ok, I just found a bunch of the original Wilderland, Eriador, and Western Mountains icons. I'll edit more in if I find them.

Image Image Image
Image ImageImage
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ImageImage
Last edited by Dimcairien Luiniel on Sat May 23, 2020 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weathered Ent
Those here the temporary ones until they created the more refined icons. Quite a few of the members were not happy about the animal icons as I recall. I did have fun with my wolf. I named him Guitar if my memory serves me right.
Last edited by Oak on Sat May 23, 2020 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Huorn of Fangorn

Elven Enchanter
Yeah, I remember. Some of them seemed to be a bit odd, though birds sort of made sense for Wilderland.

Weathered Ent
I am really jazzed though to have my tree icon back on this plaza. Nothing holds a candle to Peeg's icons. I don't think Peeg made these or the later batch.
Huorn of Fangorn

Elven Enchanter
Oh same. I love having my sparkly phial back. The Khazad-dum doors couldn't hold a candle to it.

Weathered Ent
I was pretty fond of those Khazad-dum doors. The spent a good period of time in the last days of revamped plaza in the Wilderlands because under that regions scheme the Wilderlands had more to offer.
Huorn of Fangorn

Storyteller
Seeing talk of SCRs in the admin thread, I thought I better contribute. I found some SCRs I received, which I'd saved to my old Photobucket account, but these two are the only ones that haven't already been posted (I can't remember which character the first one is) Edit: Oh it's Tom Bombadil! :

Image Image

And here's the ruler icons I wore (Thranduil and Dain II Ironfoot) which haven't been posted yet:

Image Image Image

And for something random, here's a strange find - The halloween rank I chose for myself one year (Rebecca Black) :smiley9: :

Edit: Oh and a couple of raven icons which I have no clue why I had saved:

Image Image
Last edited by Dwim on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arien
Arien
I do have to say that Eriador rank XI duck does seem to be made for @KingODuckingham
My favourite of the regional icons has got to be the light up Doors of Durin
cave anserem

Istari Steward
That it was not the top rank or higher is a travesty.

Black Númenórean
Oh my gosh, @Dwim, I'd forgotten all about Rebecca Black. Not to mention that you chose her as a Halloween icon. :smiley16: I recall that Dain icon fondly, though!

New Soul
@Dwim Bahahaha yes I remember Rebecca Black. I wish I had saved Halloween icons I'd worn throughout the years. I think Gondor was Pirates of the Caribbean one year?
they/he/mischief

Sage of Khazad-dûm
@Sil have you still got my Thorin icon??
Family Stealtharm | Sil's #1 Property | Knowledge of a woman, pride of a dwarf | Khazâd ai-mênu!

New Soul
Found a few icons in my old files (all of which I think I held at one point or another) - Lúthien, Pengolodh, Elladan, and Arwen:

She/her. Almarëa - Rivendell / Jaena - Lone Lands (T.A.) and Gondor (F.A.) / Layna - Mordor

Black Númenórean
Ahh I remember that Lúthien icon, Alma. And I'm pretty sure I recall you wearing the Arwen SCR!

The ones I wore (I think) have already been shared. I had the Melian ATR one month and then Toasty posted my Tinfang icon a while back. Yay icons.

Elven Enchanter
Alma: I think I remember seeing that Arwen icon around. I never had any of the special ranks, but I did enjoy seeing everyone with their pretty (or sometimes very odd) faces.

Warrior of Imladris

Found another one on a trip through the archives. Donnamira.

Ent Ancient
Whoa this thread really brings back memories! I am impressed with everyone's record-keeping. Thanks for sharing these!

I do not ever remember bird or wolf icons, @Dimcairien Luiniel (got your name right this time! :oops: ) - but I am not going to lie I would LOVE a bird icon even though I prefer Peeg's classic icons.

I was perusing the Wayback Machine the other day unsuccessfully searching for a thread and I found myself looking at the old KPs. I enjoyed seeing some old icons and names. Has anyone else looked at these?

There's a wealth of icons still preserved there. Here's Rohan from 2002 - https://web.archive.org/web/20020604051 ... com/rohan/ which still has some of our old white horse icons we had as well as old Eowyn and Eomer icons.

All the original Ent icons are here - https://web.archive.org/web/20021012010 ... .com/ents/
Dwarves - https://web.archive.org/web/20020603234 ... m/dwarves/
etc. I wont list them all here. :smiley24:
The only ones I could not find were Valinor. There are some random Halloween icons still preserved as well! One could probably spend a good amount of time archiving many an icon through these pages.
she/her

Black Númenórean
Ahhh those old icons, @Lailyn! I have been looking back at the old KPs, too. I also found some Last Homely Heralds from aaaaaages ago that really jogged my memory!

Does anyone remember when the official switch to Peeg's icons was, from these earlier versions? Must have been in summer 2002 at some point, right?

This page has a list of RAMs - if you click into the individual bios, a lot of icons are still there. https://web.archive.org/web/20150919123 ... hies-Index
Last edited by Zôrzimril on Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Númenórean
@Tarawen That link seems to just take me to an individual bio! But clicking around from there I was able to get into the Valinor biographies pages here and here which have a lot of icons intact!

Black Númenórean
@Moriel - Oh woops, I must've copied and pasted the wrong URL - will fix it it has been fixed! And oooo, I haven't seen those! Those pages bring back memories, for sure. Whoa.

Black Númenórean
I just went through and scavenged all the icons from the two pages I linked and the link you fixed. There are... many. I'll see about getting them organized and posted :smiley16:

Black Númenórean
Moriel wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:33 pm I just went through and scavenged all the icons from the two pages I linked and the link you fixed. There are... many. I'll see about getting them organized and posted :smiley16:
That is a true labor of love. :smiley9: Cannot wait to see all the shiny faces! Thank you for doing that!

Storyteller
Moriel wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:33 pm I just went through and scavenged all the icons from the two pages I linked and the link you fixed. There are... many. I'll see about getting them organized and posted :smiley16:
Then you may have seen the rather concerning picture I made for my Vali bio :? : https://web.archive.org/web/20150327143 ... name=96338

Black Númenórean
@Dwim - Hahahahahahaha I saw that the other day while poking around the Wayback Machine and it's just . . . amazing. :smiley9:

New Soul
Woah, nice find on the Valinor bios page! This thread, I think possibly above all others, is bringing on the nostalgia for me. I definitely have a lot of feelings and thoughts associated with seeing some of those faces again. It's lovely. Thank you, everyone who has contributed to this thread!

XD @Dwim At least you gave them something to post...
they/he/mischief