The Nature of Middle-earth (new book May 2021)

Discussions in Middle-earth lore, language and books.
Master Torturer

The Nature of Middle-earth - Tolkien Collector's Guide
Houghton Mifflin has accidentally leaked that they are tentatively planning to release a book titled The Nature of Middle-earth in 2021. The information in their catalog is misleading

By J.R.R. Tolkien and Carl F Hostetter - An unofficial addition to The History of Middle-earth series, The Nature of Middle-earth is the first ever publication of J.R.R. Tolkien’s final writings on Middle-earth.

I will update this post as I am allowed to release more information, but Houghton Mifflin let me know about this title at the end of last year, and here is what I understand and can share:
  • The book consists of mostly previously unpublished J.R.R. Tolkien primary materials, edited (not written) by Carl Hostetter
  • It is being published by HarperCollins first with the approval of the estate, so it is in no way "unofficial"
  • Carl is not at liberty to say anything more about the work, so please don't flood him with questions.
The screencap above comes from a listing for the book from a Houghton Mifflin catalogue, found by a TCG forum user:

https://www.tolkienguide.com/uploads/ne ... 7b845d.pdf

For those who don't know, Carl Hostetter has for decades been involved in the editing and publication (through the periodicals Vinyar Tengwar and Parma Eldalamberon) of Tolkien material that didn't make it into the History of Middle-earth series. Most of this material is primarily about Tolkien's languages, but as with various texts found in HoMe, it frequently shades over into the history, philosophy, etc of Arda.

This is pretty huge, especially for me as a Númenor fan. :smiley24: Now to settle down for the ten month wait...
Loremistress Emerita | she/her

Master Torturer
Going by the same catalogue, there's apparently also an illustrated edition of Unfinished Tales in the works to mark that book's 40th anniversary in October of this year, featuring illustrations by Alan Lee, John Howe, and Ted Nasmith.

Elven Enchanter
Another book to add to my "please get for me" list. It sounds interesting.

And the idea of an Alan Lee illustrated edition of Unfinished Tales is really appealing.
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

Black Númenórean
*covets the illustrated Unfinished Tales*

The new book sounds really cool! Need to make some room in my book budget...
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Master Torturer
Númenor is one of the least commonly illustrated locations in the legendarium, even behind Valinor, but Unfinished Tales is one of the main sources of Númenor material so I hope it will account for a fair number of the illustrations. Nasmith already has a few really good Númenórean illustrations (especially "White Ships from Valinor") from his 2004 edition of The Silmarillion.

Loremaster of the Herd
Ahh, I love this. The decline (and destruction) of Númenor is, to me, one of the most interesting parts of the Legendarium -- especially coming, as we know it did, so directly from Tolkien's early dreams and imaginings. It will be nice to have some nice "Setting Notes" as it were, especially (as the above screengrab notes) with the impending Amazon show!
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Thanks for the information @Eldy Dunami Add my voice to those who are excited for this book! :geek:
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him
Tis the season of Sean Bean prequel shows

Master Torturer
The illustrated edition of Unfinished Tales comes out this month, and Waterstones put together a webinar hosted by Brian Sibley and featuring all three illustrators—Lee, How, and Nasmith—discussing the work. The video includes some of the illustrations from the book; there are 18 full-color paintings as well as three pencil sketches which feature at the start of the book's primary sections.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkx2tZQrJGM

High Lord of Imladris
WELL I guess it's time I finally get another copy of Unfinished Tales and I know what I'll be asking for for my birthday in May if this "14th" HoME does come out

Master Torturer
This year's Tolkien calendar consists of illustrations from the 40th anniversary edition of Unfinished Tales. According to the Amazon listing, there's four each by Howe, Lee, and Nasmith (two-thirds of the full-color illustrations in the new UT). Copies of the calendar have shipped, so we have more glimpses of the new illustrations. The image below was shared on the Tolkien Collector's Guide website (click for full size).

Arien
Arien
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020 ... SApp_Other

Article about it out today - sounds like there will be a lot of interesting new material
cave anserem

Master Torturer
I'm really curious about the Elvish reincarnation stuff; that's one of the most interesting parts of the later volumes of HoMe, to me, and I can't wait to see what else Tolkien wrote on the matter.

The cover art posted by The Guardian is really nice. It's a Nasmith piece depicting the Calacirya ("Cleft of Light") from the 2004 edition of his illustrated Silmarillion; there was a similar but slightly different (and IMO not quite as pretty) version from the original 1998 edition.

(Click for full size.)

Khazad Elder
The Nature of Middle-earth looks so interesting. Who could grow beards, eh? Another book to add to my collection. I purchased the 40th anniversary edition of Unfinished Tales a couple of weeks ago. It is a beautiful edit. I hardly want to turn the pages it is so new. :smile:

A picture of Gandalf and Thorin Oakenshield - A Chance Meeting (Lee)

The world was fair in Durin's Day

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Oh I love that cover art @Eldy Dunami.

@Drifa :nod: Wow, I have the 2001 hardcover which has been sturdy and holding up to use, but it doesn't compare to the new anniversary edition! That is lovely, I'd be looking through the art and then putting it on the shelf. :lol:
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him
Tis the season of Sean Bean prequel shows

Khazad Elder
@Boromir88- Yes, it is back on the shelf now and yes, that is exactly what I did - look at the art only. I have a few copies of UT that were purchased at the local thrift stores. They are not in the best of shape so I use them to pursue through for the plaza and other stuff.

I have a 1980 1st edition hardcover of the Unfinished Tales, published by George Allen & Unwin . A great find at a book fair, for peanuts. :smile:

High Lord of Imladris
Ohhh man I love the cover art, I know it wasn't by Nasmith but reminds me of the 'undying lands' art that we had on Old plaza.

I'm also super excited for the elven reincarnation portion, I've just created a reincarnated elf so may need to tweak him a little bit but will admit was vague on many of the details so that if I needed to change anything ever.

Ent Ancient
Thank you for posting this or I would never have known. As a geography and nature nerd, I am most excited about Gondor geography and the lands/beasts of Numenor! Might have to pre-order this one.

Newborn of Imladris
Sounds very exciting. My 'to-read list on Goodreads is already over 3,000 items, perhaps at 72 I'm being a little ambitious? Must have this one though.
Remembering halfir by learning something new each day

Doorwarden of The Mark
I'm looking forward to this book. I never anticipated anything 'new' to be published after Christopher's death.

So glad the Plaza is back up and running :)

Hobbit Child
Eldy Dunami wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:37 pm Image

The Nature of Middle-earth - Tolkien Collector's Guide
Houghton Mifflin has accidentally leaked that they are tentatively planning to release a book titled The Nature of Middle-earth in 2021. The information in their catalog is misleading

By J.R.R. Tolkien and Carl F Hostetter - An unofficial addition to The History of Middle-earth series, The Nature of Middle-earth is the first ever publication of J.R.R. Tolkien’s final writings on Middle-earth.

I will update this post as I am allowed to release more information, but Houghton Mifflin let me know about this title at the end of last year, and here is what I understand and can share:
  • The book consists of mostly previously unpublished J.R.R. Tolkien primary materials, edited (not written) by Carl Hostetter
  • It is being published by HarperCollins first with the approval of the estate, so it is in no way "unofficial"
  • Carl is not at liberty to say anything more about the work, so please don't flood him with questions.
The screencap above comes from a listing for the book from a Houghton Mifflin catalogue, found by a TCG forum user:

https://www.tolkienguide.com/uploads/ne ... 7b845d.pdf

For those who don't know, Carl Hostetter has for decades been involved in the editing and publication (through the periodicals Vinyar Tengwar and Parma Eldalamberon) of Tolkien material that didn't make it into the History of Middle-earth series. Most of this material is primarily about Tolkien's languages, but as with various texts found in HoMe, it frequently shades over into the history, philosophy, etc of Arda.

This is pretty huge, especially for me as a Númenor fan. :smiley24: Now to settle down for the ten month wait...

Just finished my copy a couple of weeks back.
“I am in fact a Hobbit (in all but size). ”
-J.R.R Tolkien

Hobbit Child
Cold Drake wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:27 pm The Nature of Middle-earth looks so interesting. Who could grow beards, eh? Another book to add to my collection. I purchased the 40th anniversary edition of Unfinished Tales a couple of weeks ago. It is a beautiful edit. I hardly want to turn the pages it is so new. :smile:

A picture of Gandalf and Thorin Oakenshield - A Chance Meeting (Lee)

I just read the new illustrated UT as well. The artwork was great.
-J.R.R Tolkien

High Lord of Imladris
The one thing about all of this in terms of the new Nature of Middle Earth is that the only versions I can get are for either a Kindle (which I don't own) OR hardcover. My entire HoME set is soft cover so I'm sitting here trying to decided if my impatient self orders the hardcover or wait for the soft cover to finally come out whenever that is so that my shelf doesn't look stupid.

Hobbit Child
Raisins wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:06 am The one thing about all of this in terms of the new Nature of Middle Earth is that the only versions I can get are for either a Kindle (which I don't own) OR hardcover. My entire HoME set is soft cover so I'm sitting here trying to decided if my impatient self orders the hardcover or wait for the soft cover to finally come out whenever that is so that my shelf doesn't look stupid.
Lol, I am usually the opposite, I want all hardcover. I usually slowly upgrade as I did with the recent UT.

I have no idea how long it will take for the realse of softcover but I say go for it. You can still be one of the first to get your hands on a copy of the last of Tolkien's unpublished writings. You will be a member of an elite group of Loremasters worthy of an invite to great councils. :winkkiss:
-J.R.R Tolkien

High Lord of Imladris
LOL I have my hard covers of the important books. I never found the HoME series to be important enough to merit a $40 book each - Granted I also got the complete set back when I was in high school so my set is getting close to 20 years old. It's the only books aside from the HotH that I have a single copy of everything else has it's multiple copies in hard and soft cover.

Hobbit Child
I am the same way, my HOME are all soft but for nature.
-J.R.R Tolkien

New Soul
OH this is GORGEOUS!

Once I have acquired new bookshelves, this is Number One on my list.
fka Ann Kalagon, Hyandaner

Mae Govannen, my friends!