NuLibrary - Lord of the Quotes

Discussions in Middle-earth lore, language and books.
High Lord of Imladris

Welcome to the NuLibrary update thread and Quote game for the Lore section!

We invite you to join us in building the quotebank in the new subforum that so far has a decent number of quotes from the Hobbit, and has a good start on quotes from the Lord of the Rings.

We are of course welcoming quotes from ALL Tolkien based source material, though we are currently focusing on Th Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, we expect the Silmarillion and Children of Hurin to be started soon.

Currently I am absolutely grateful to those that have helped with gathering quotes thus far. If you would like to help with gathering quotes we ask that you head to our primary thread at this time:

Quote Bank Submissions thread

If you would like to discuss or if you find an issue with one of our quotes you are welcome to chat with us in the OOC and discussion thread

This post will be updated as we have new developments and announcements related to the NuLibrary.

High Lord of Imladris
Lord of the Quotes
NuLibrary Game

Do you have a favourite quote related to

SNOW or ICE

from a Tolkien source?

You could become the Lord (or Lady) of the Quotes and get to pick our next theme!
Rules:
Max 2 quotes per person
ANY Tolkien source material is welcome
Quotes will only be accepted if they have proper reference information (below)

All quotes will go into the NuLibrary, and if at the end of this theme you notice that we don't have a quote on the theme at the end of the theme we'll have a few days to put in extra submissions after we've chosen our winner!

Reference info should look like so:

Book Quotes
Page, Chapter, Book (Publisher, Year of Publication)

Movies/TV Series
(Start of Quote Time - End of Quote Time)Movie Title, Director, Production Company, Release Year

Khazad Elder
cold as ice
'Also there is this!' said Bilbo, bringing out a parcel which seemed to be rather heavy for its size. He unwound several folds of old cloth, and held up a small shirt of mail. It was close-woven of many rings, as supple almost as linen, cold as ice, and harder than steel. It shone like moonlit silver, and was studded with white gems. With it was a belt of pearl and crystal. Page 364, The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

snow-white cloth of his garments
Next to Frodo on his right sat a dwarf of important appearance, richly dressed. His beard, very long and forked, was white, nearly as white as the snow-white cloth of his garments. He wore a silver belt, and round his neck hung a chain of silver and diamonds. Frodo stopped eating to look at him. Page 298-299, Many Meetings, The Fellowship Of The Ring (Harper Collins 1999, Softcover)

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Ice fell like rain
"Thunder they heard, and lightning they said, smote upon Celebdil, and leaped back broken into tongues of fire. Is not that enough? A great smoke rose about us, vapour and steam. Ice fell like rain. I threw down my enemy, and he fell from the high place and broke the mountain-side where he smote it in his ruin." (Gandalf) Page 502, The White Rider, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him
Tis the season of Sean Bean prequel shows

Ent Ancient
Snow in the Shire
“‘I don’t like this at all,’ panted Sam just behind. ‘Snow’s all right on a fine morning, but I like to be in bed while it’s falling. I wish this lot would go off to Hobbiton! Folk might welcome it there.’ Except on the high moors of the Northfarthing a heavy fall was rare in the Shire, and was regarded as a pleasant event and a chance for fun. No living hobbit (save Bilbo) could remember the Fell Winter of 1311, when white wolves invaded the Shire over the frozen Brandywine.”
Page 309, The Ring Goes South, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Simbelemynë like snow
“At the foot of the hill the way ran under the shadow of many mounds, high and green. Upon their western sides the grass was white as with drifted snow: small flowers sprang there like countless stars amid turf.
‘Look!’ said Gandalf. ‘How fair are the bright eyes in the grass! Evermind they are called, simbelmynë in this land of Men, for they blossom in all the seasons of the year, and grow where dead men rest. Behold! We are come to the great barrows where the sires of Théoden sleep.’”
Page 440, The King of the Golden Hall, The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

High Lord of Imladris
Ohhhh These are all absolutely fantastic! Thanks so much for all of these they are absolutely EXCELLENT quotes.

Boromir almost had it but honestly @Lailthoron's Snow in the Shire Quote is honestly amazing I don't remember it at all which makes me sad because I swear Sam is me... Snow is all fine while I'm in a warm bed while it's falling. Sadly it's not a rarity where I am so Congratulations
Lail! Please pick our next Theme for quotes will be for the Month of January!

Ent Ancient
I really liked that one because it was so relatable. I'm just glad I finally got around to contributing some quotes!

Oh boy feeling all the pressure here but inspired by Saturn & Jupiter, I will pick January's theme to be:

celestial bodies/phenomena

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Well, even though it's referring to Minas Ithil/Minas Morgul, the moonlight and corpse-light contrasting is fantastic:

Not the imprisoned moonlight welling through the marble walls of Minas Ithil long ago, Tower of the Moon, fair and radiiant in the hollow of the hills. Paler indeed than the moon ailing in some slow eclipse was the light of it now, wavering and blowing like a noisome exhalation of decay, a corpse-light, a light that illuminated nothing. Page 703, The Stairs of Cirith Ungol, The Two Towers, The Lord of the Rings (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

Last light of Durin's Day
"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks," read Elrond, "and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the key-hole." Page 50, A Short Rest, The Hobbit (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him
Tis the season of Sean Bean prequel shows

Gardener
When reading through this thread my first through for the snow/ice theme was the banter between Gandalf and Legolas on Carachras, which is still applicable for the celestial bodies theme.

‘If Gandalf would go before us with a bright flame, he might melt a path for you,’ said Legolas. The storm had troubled him little, and he alone of the Company remained still light of heart.

‘If Elves could fly over mountains, they might fetch the Sun to save us,’ answered Gandalf. ‘But I must have something to work on. I cannot burn snow.’

[...]

‘Farewell!’ he said to Gandalf. ‘I go to find the Sun!’ Then swift as a runner over firm sand he shot away, and quickly overtaking the toiling men, with a wave of his hand he passed them, and sped into the distance, and vanished round the rocky turn. p 292-293, The Ring Goes South, FotR (HarperCollins 50th Anniversary Edition 2005)

The lighthearted amusement by Legolas whilst everyone else is utterly miserable is fantastic. There's more to the quote but it is quite lengthy so I had to omit some of the text.

However, I am a Hobbit at heart, so my favourite quote that fits the theme (at least my favourite that is currently coming to mind) is a walking song.

Frodo, Sam and Pippin sing it when they first leave Bag End and are heading to Crickhollow before the real terror has really sunk in, just as Gildor and his company overtake the Hobbits. However, it's the version later sung by Frodo on their way to the Grey Havens that really does it for me.

Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate;
And though I oft have passed them by,
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun. p,1028, The Grey Havens, RotK (HarperCollins 50th Anniversary Edition 2005)

Sam catches Frodo singing it gently to himself without realising what it meant (though he soon would); the end of Frodo's journey. There would be no more roads or secret gates for Frodo to pass by in Middle-earth anymore. It's a great call back to the earliest stages of the journey and hits you right in the feels.

(Though let's not mention when movie!Pippin sings a portion of this song to Denethor and was completely opposite with the theme/intent of the song)

Ent Ancient
Since I picked this theme I feel like I don't qualify but I wanted to post this one because it is one of my all-time favourites passges:

white star of hope
Far above the Ephel Duath in the West the night-sky was still dim and pale. There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty forever beyond its reach.
Page 922, The Land of Shadow, The Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings, Kindle edition 2 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2012)

High Lord of Imladris
@Lailyn Come the end of this month I may make this like a caption contest where the former winner gets to pick the next one. (That said sharing your favourite quote is highly encouraged by myself as it's another quote for the bank!)

Ent Ancient
:thumbs: Its a lot easier for me to pick quotes when I have a topic to help me focus.

High Lord of Imladris
@Lailyn Time to pick a new Lord/Lady/ of the Quotes! (I would add my own quote to this but my books are still tucked away so I can't do them for now)

Ent Ancient
Not an easy task, Fuin, but I will pass the quote-theme choice to @Woggy Hardbotom because I also love that song! It has always been one of my favorites in both incarnations even though, yes, I agree, the movie totally changed it!

High Lord of Imladris
Well Woggy has not been around, it's been a year :googly: and I have finally broken down and decided that it is time for the Silmarillion bank to get started. SO in honor of that.... we are going to have the new theme be
MUSIC

Please remember max 2 quotes and you are welcome to submit quotes from Tolkien based source material not just the books and you are NOT limited to the current quotebank titles available.

Guardian of the Golden Wood
Oooops! Sorry. Thought there was an egg here. My bad.
Eat earth. Dig deep. Drink water.

Khazad Elder
The Minstrel
Upon Doriath evil days had fallen. Grief and silence had
come upon all its people when Lúthien was lost. Long they
had sought for her in vain. And it is told that in that time
Daeron the minstrel of Thingol strayed from the land, and
was seen no more. He it was that made music for the dance
and song of Lúthien, before Beren came to Doriath; and he
had loved her, and set all his thought of her in his music. He
became the greatest of all the minstrels of the Elves east of
the Sea, named even before Maglor son of Fëanor. But seek-
ing for Lúthien in despair he wandered upon strange paths,
and passing over the mountains he came into the East of
Middle-earth, where for many ages he made lament beside
dark waters for Lúthien, daughter of Thingol, most beautiful
of all living things. The Silmarillion, Of Beren and Lúthien
harped and sang
Now men awoke and listened to Felagund as he harped
and sang, and each thought that he was in some fair dream,
until he saw that his fellows were awake also beside him; but
they did not speak or stir while Felagund still played, because
of the beauty of the music and the wonder of the song.
Wisdom was in the words of the Elven-king, and the hearts
grew wiser that hearkened to him; for the things of which he
sang, of the making of Arda, and the bliss of Aman beyond
the shadows of the Sea, came as clear visions before their
eyes, and his Elvish speech was interpreted in each mind
according to its measure. The Silmarillion, Of The Coming Of Men Into The West
The world was fair in Durin's Day