LOTR Cast Reunion

"As for myself," said Eomer, "I have little knowledge of these deep matters; but I need it not."
Black Númenórean
Some friends from a different LOTR fan group just let me know that a Lord of the Rings cast "reunion" (they will be apart and meeting virtually, given the times) is happening this Sunday at 9am PT / 12pm EST. :smiley8: I'll definitely be tuning in. Here's a bit of a preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzPpOzBxJfk
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

New Soul
Ahh! The preview is adorable and made my heart melt. It was just what I needed. I can't wait!
they/he/mischief

New Soul
Wow Sam has gotten old, especially when they flashed his old movies...and now I feel old.
Third Marshal of the Mark
Meduseld Éored

Elven Enchanter
This looks awesome. I won’t be able to watch it live, but certainly plan to watch it at a later time.

And yes, Sam looks old, but Merry and Pippin don’t seem to have changed much. Guess that Ent draught does more than make you grow.
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

Ent Ancient
So its not only us getting nostalgic? Thanks for posting, I'll probably watch some non-live!

Black Númenórean
Lailyn wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 pm So its not only us getting nostalgic?
Apparently not! I'm really glad to see them get together. Sir Ian McKellen reciting some lines as Gandalf has inspired me to rewatch the movies, and soon . . .

And yeah, time has gotten all of us (even Orlando Bloom, who never seems to age visibly at all). :smiley9:

Balrog
Tolkien nostalgia is in the air! Watching that preview was... wow. I don't know how much of it I'll be able to watch but I'm gonna have to clear my schedule.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Master Torturer
Totally going to watch it, but man Elijah Wood looks like a kid trying to look like an adult with that "beard" Makes me laugh :P

Councillor of Imladris
Gwai wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:07 pm Wow Sam has gotten old, especially when they flashed his old movies...and now I feel old.
I mean when the first movies came out I was a 15 year old high school student, and as I'm 34 now, I've now lived more of my life *after* the movies came out than before!

Thain of The Mark
I almost bawled when Sir Ian McKellan came on in the preview and quoted THOSE particular lines. I will definitely be watching this, but unsure if it will be live or not.

I'm curious as to exactly how much of the cast they've actually managed to pull in for this. Although obviously Sir Christopher Lee will be missing. :smiley13:
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

Forester of Lothlorien
Ahhhhh!!! I am SO excited for this!!!
Characters: Sidra (Elf), Leilani & Elva (Hobbits), Solia (Human)

Black Númenórean
Taethowen wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:13 am I almost bawled when Sir Ian McKellan came on in the preview and quoted THOSE particular lines. I will definitely be watching this, but unsure if it will be live or not.

I'm curious as to exactly how much of the cast they've actually managed to pull in for this. Although obviously Sir Christopher Lee will be missing. :smiley13:
@Taethowen - I teared up when I heard those Gandalf lines, too. They really resonate right now.

Not sure about other members of the cast, though indeed it is very sad about Christopher Lee not making an appearance as Saruman (RIP, great sir :smiley13:). I do hope there are more surprises on Sunday, though.

New Soul
FireroseArien wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:19 am
Gwai wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 5:07 pm Wow Sam has gotten old, especially when they flashed his old movies...and now I feel old.
I mean when the first movies came out I was a 15 year old high school student, and as I'm 34 now, I've now lived more of my life *after* the movies came out than before!
@FireroseArien I'm 34 now too...thanks for putting this in perspective. I feel even older now hahaha :lol:
Third Marshal of the Mark
Meduseld Éored

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
Oh this is kind of neat. It gave me a strong desire to immediately drop everything and watch all 3 movies again. Although, I'll probably not be able to watch the reunion live. I look forward to it.

And yes, Sean Astin, it's kind of jarring with watching The Goonies for the 50th time recently.
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him
Tis the season of Sean Bean prequel shows

Black Númenórean
Boromir88 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:34 pm Oh this is kind of neat. It gave me a strong desire to immediately drop everything and watch all 3 movies again. Although, I'll probably not be able to watch the reunion live. I look forward to it.

And yes, Sean Astin, it's kind of jarring with watching The Goonies for the 50th time recently.
I want to watch all the movies again now, too! (Also, hey, Boromir88! I recognize your username from way back when, though I'm not sure we interacted much. Anyway, *waves*)

Farmer
Okay I geeked out and squealed at the end too. I probably can't catch this live, but will look for it to watch when I can

More information on it and will be tuning in at some point. :smiley8:

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-watch-the ... 1843768181
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Master Torturer
Haha, says How to watch the reunion and then doesn't actually get around to saying how to watch it, just who will be in it and when it will be :P Just log on to Josh Gads youtube page and it should appear there in 4 mins! :D

Black Númenórean
Awesome, thank you for sharing this, @Boromir88! Great to see the list of additional cast/crew folks who will be joining. Getting excited now . . . !

Black Númenórean
Well, that was amazing. Am definitely teary-eyed after Billy sang his song and so impressed by all their long memories, especially the Old English and Elven lines! What'd others think?

Master Torturer
Just WOW! I still havent stopped crying :P That was all kinds of awesome <3

Balrog
I think there's some cosmic power out there that aligned the stars just right so that we could watch that together. It's been a crazy overload of emotions that finally burst watching the reunion. That was a good time.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Master Torturer
@Frosty the Snowman couldn't agree more! Like it was meant to be! <3

Black Númenórean
"A crazy overload of emotions that finally burst" sounds very familiar, @Frosty the Snowman. Well said! I find myself searching for comfort in familiar things or nostalgia these days (I mean, here I am on the Plaza), and that was just . . . perfect.

Thain of The Mark
I cried and now my head hurts and this is why I don't like crying.

It was worth it though. So worth it. T_T

*group hugs everyone who watched from the Plaza, whether in the discord or not*
Westmark Éored

That was a lot of fun to watch. I laughed several times and even jotted down notes of new things I learned and cracked up about.

I was obsessed with Sean Bean way back when, so pretty much anything pertaining to Boromir I had read before or heard about. Still it was great having the entire Fellowship and more together.

I love Viggo casually throwing out there his passion of Celtic myth.

Ian messing up his line "A wizard is never late Bilbo Baggins"...poor guy. Elijah had a small cameo in the 1st Hobbit film, but Ian was the only one in the reunion to reprise his role and play a major part. Naturally he stumbled up a bit. :smiley9:

How does Smeagol/Gollum social distance.

The nod to Christopher Lee. RIP, can't believe it's been 5 years already. Seems like just a few years ago.

Bernard Hill arriving at the end after everyone already "left" :smiley9:
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Black Númenórean
I was amazed by how many of their stories I recalled from EE commentaries, @Boromir88 (like the Sean Bean helicopter / hiking story, which I'm sure you knew, too). I need to rewatch those soon. And I loved their acknowledgement of Christopher Lee. How has it been 5 years? :smiley13:

Ahh @Taethowen, there was a discord group watch? Sad I missed that; I keep meaning to join over there.

Thain of The Mark
@Tarawen it was mostly "oh hey, we're here and this is about to start" but it was awesome to know we weren't crying alone, lol!

You should definitely come hang out in the discord! It's lots of fun.
Westmark Éored

Warrior of Imladris
Oh my gosh, how lush it was to see them all so happy to see each other ... They are quite right, they have included their audience as part of their family. I may not have been there, but I feel as if I was. <3
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Ent Ancient
Wow I just watched the recording. That was pretty epic! I was not expecting so many of them to show up, what a nice surprise. And they seemed so genuinely happy to see each other. How lovely. Thanks for posting, @Tarawen - I would not have seen this otherwise!

I think my favourite part may have been "One does not simply walk into Mordor." I had no ideas the lines were on his knee!

Black Númenórean
I forgot to mention how thrilled I was that they included Howard Shore. The FoTR soundtrack remains some of my favorite music ever (the Shire theme was the surprise music I walked down the aisle to at my wedding - my husband planned it with his friend who played the music), and it was really nice to see him included and recognized. Argh the whole thing was just wonderful.

@Lailyn - You're welcome - I'm so glad you were able to watch! I had no idea about Sean Bean having the lines sitting on his knee, either. :smiley9:

@Taethowen - thanks for the nudge about discord! See you around on there.

Lailyn I remember reading an article about Sean Bean getting the script right before shooting the Council of Elrond. I did not know, or maybe forgot, that when he's looking down in the scene it was so he could remember his lines.

It was in an article about how Jackson, Walsh and Boyens liked to do frequent rewrites, even having entirely new pages shoved under the cast members trailer doors in the morning that they would wake up to. The Bean example of 20 minutes before filming the Council was an extreme example. I probably couldn't operate under those circumstances if I was an actor, but Sean never seemed to mind, and a famous internet meme came out of it. :smiley9:

Tarawen, I think my favorite is Rohan's theme. :smiley24:
A Loquacious Loreman.
he/him

Black Númenórean
Ahhh the theme for Rohan brings tears to my eyes, Boromir88! Such an emotive theme. The Fellowship theme is probably my favorite. (But really, it's so hard to choose. Thank goodness for Howard Shore.)

Ent Ancient
Agreed @Boromir88 - I don't do well under pressure! I'd probably pretend to be okay with last-minute line changes, but inwardly feel really stressed. Props to the actors for coping with it!

I agree about Howard Shore, too. The score was just beautiful and brilliant. Are you also a musician @Tarawen?

I also agree - the Shire/hobbit theme and Rohan are my two favourites. One of my favourite random bits of score is this beautiful moment in the Journey in the Dark from FotR, which much of the start of the song is sort of quiet background-like music, but I believe when they arrive in the halls of Khazad-dum and Ganalf lights his staff, this beautiful string melody builds up and become really powerful and bright right before everything turns to chaos. My other favourite is Hope & Memory from RotK. It evoked such emotion. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the strings. (might be biased as violinist)

Sorry for getting off topic - I could gush about the score for ages!

Black Númenórean
@Lailyn - I am a musician! I spent most of my teenage years (i.e. the time period I was most immersed in Tolkien/and first discovered the Plaza) training to become a professional clarinetist. I think I can pinpoint exactly the moment you mean in "Journey in the Dark"! There's this big swell that resolves then changes, as you say, into chaos. "Hope and Memory" is so good, too. A personal favorite of mine is "The Great River" into "Amon Hen" and "The Breaking of the Fellowship." Ahhhh. Love those soundtracks so, so much. I could geek out about them all day. I'm glad to run into a fellow musician here, too. Do you play often? And maybe a music-related thread is warranted at this point? :smiley9:

Easterling
oh man!! I came on here just to create a thread to share the reunion. Of course everyone caught on/knew about it before now. Y'all wouldn't be true fanatics if so haha it was great! Like a big family reunion.

Black Númenórean
@Nessila - aww I'm glad you watched and were going to post, too! It was such a cool event and I'm glad we can all discuss here now. The livestream was 100% like a family reunion and I. just. loved. it.

Healer of Imladris
Oh, this was so great. I'm glad I stayed up to watch it last night. Every time someone came on my heart just about burst. And they may uhhh, be a little grayer for the most part, but their voices made me feel like I was 11 all over again!

The Old English was amazing. The helmets were amazing. And HOWARD SHORE. I was a puddle of squee and foo.
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

Black Númenórean
@Aerlinn - the helmets! I definitely got a kick out of John Rhys-Davies' helmet + camera angle combination when they did the Helm's Deep lines. :smiley9: It was really cool to see some of those old props on screen.

Elven Enchanter
Just finished watching it! It's clear everyone was having so much fun seeing each other again. It makes me want to go and rewatch the actor's commentaries.

And yes, seeing all the props was amazing.
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

Master Torturer
Tarawen wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:40 pm @Aerlinn - the helmets! I definitely got a kick out of John Rhys-Davies' helmet + camera angle combination when they did the Helm's Deep lines. :smiley9: It was really cool to see some of those old props on screen.
This made me laugh so hard!! I so loved it and it makes for good telling when telling bf about it who hadn't seen it :P

Forester of Lothlorien
It made me SO happy, and went by far too quickly! I wish they'd do something like that more often!
Characters: Sidra (Elf), Leilani & Elva (Hobbits), Solia (Human)

Ent Ancient
@Tarawen - how did I guess? Wow, that's amazing you trained to be a professional! Good for you - I am just an amateur but I played and took lessons as a kid. Sadly, since I moved about 1.5 years ago I no longer play with a community orchestra. I did start to dabble in classical guitar the last few months, though. Maybe a music thread is a good idea!

Black Númenórean
@Lailyn - well, when I say I trained to become one, I should've also mentioned that I did not ultimately become a professional musician. :smiley16: So great that you have been playing with community orchestras! I have never been able to find good local groups to play with but recently my husband (a guitarist) started teaching me guitar. I'm loving it! A music thread here or in OOME sounds lovely. I'll at least get together one to discuss the soundtracks!

Ent Ancient
Hey, that still counts! :smiley22: I'll pop one up in OOME for other musician-ship discussion. :smiley24:

New Soul
@Tarawen A huge thanks for the link to the preview. It was soooo good to see some members of the cast reunited, and I loved the movie quotes from Elijah and Ian McK at the end. What a great bunch of actors, and such cool guys. It makes me nostalgic for the early 2000s, I remember the excitement during the build-up to the release of each movies ... and the outrage about the bizarre story changes in TTT!
"But in the end it's only a passing thing, this shadow; even darkness must pass."

Black Númenórean
@Almaren - yay, so happy to hear the link was helpful! It was SUCH a fun trip down memory lane to see them all together, wasn't it? The excitement building up to the movie releases was a defining part of my teenage years. And agreed, there were definitely some less than good changes in TTT! :googly: (Some of them have been properly mocked in the "Hard Truths" thread :lol:)

New Soul
@Tarawen - I'm going to look at the 'Hard Truths' thread right now! I remember thinking that Frodo showing the Ring to the Nazgul was quite probably the biggest mistake in the whole trilogy as it made a nonsense of the story!
I have the box sets containing the extended versions of each movie. The bookends are still proudly holding my books in place and both Gollum and Minas Tirith are proudly displayed. Those were the days! I can't believe that nearly 20 years have elapsed!
"But in the end it's only a passing thing, this shadow; even darkness must pass."

Black Númenórean
Ohhh, which bookends? Once upon a time, I had the Argonath ones that came with the FotR extended edition (I think), but those are long gone now, sadly.