4K editions of LOTR and TH to be released 12/1

"As for myself," said Eomer, "I have little knowledge of these deep matters; but I need it not."
Master Torturer
Just announced: The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit trilogies will be released on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray on December 1 of this year. Apparently, they will include the Theatrical and Extended versions of each trilogy. There are a few retailer-specific special editions (pictured below: Amazon's exclusive box set) and additional extra super special bonus editions will be forthcoming next year.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-t ... 00720-0900

Suggested retail price for the default version is $90, so Amazon et al will have it for less. I don't have a 4K TV yet, but LOTR has always been a heavy-hitter when it comes to home video releases, so I imagine this will be one of the first films I buy in that format when the day comes.
Loremistress Emerita | she/her

High Lord of Imladris
Well shire I guess I know what I'm spending my money on December 1st though I sure as HECK know I will NEVER watch the Hobbit movies from it. I think I own every major video release they've done of LOTR... HECK I even have the Trilogy Tuesday film frame memorabilia

Thain of The Mark
Uuuuuuh considering I'm still watching the original DVD EE sets, I think I need this. Desperately. I don't have a 4K TV either, but it's probably only a matter of time. And oooh, I kind of really love the Best Buy version! I wonder what other retailers will have it and what their versions might look like!

Storyteller
I've got a 4K TV but I don't have a 4K Blu-ray player. I purchased a PS4 Pro (the 4K version) a while back expecting to be able to play 4K Blu-rays, but it turns out it can only play 4K games! I was a bit annoyed about that. I plan to buy the new PS5... I wonder if that will have a 4K Blu-ray player in it. If it does, I will probably purchase these. The packaging certainly looks very nice. 🤑

Istari Novice
Please remember that to watch this in 4K, you need a 4K television and a 4K player. You can't watch these using a DVD player or a Blu-Ray player, instead you need a player that is described as a 4K Ultra HD player.
Twitter @Trotter_Tolkien Trotter Tolkienguide.com Awarded TolkienSociety Best Website 2019

Thain of The Mark
These do all seem to also come with codes for digital versions of the movies as well (which is something I don't have). So yes, while to watch the 4K versions, you may need all the 4K stuff, if you don't have any digital versions of the LOTR:EE yet, and/or you want the pretty packaging, it's not going to be a complete waste.

Istari Steward
This is so super cool but I don't own any TV nor a blu-ray player. Maybe someday, but by the time I catch up they'll probably be releasing the 64k version on rainbow-players and they'll have rebooted the trilogy too. Someone report back after they've watched these though, and tell us how wow-ed you were!

New Soul
So, yesterday Amazon had a limited collectors edition as part of prime day, which i thought was the 4k, but it wasn't. But what it was was this GORGEOUS getup:

Storyteller
Wow @corlisswyn, that is something special! I can only imagine your surprise if a set looking like that wasn't what you were expecting. I just looked it up for myself because I was curious if that wooden case was yours or if it came with the set. I now see that's how it comes, which is pretty amazing. I have to say, I'm a bit jealous!

If you don't mind me asking, what's in the red book which sits under the movies in the case?