The 1996 LOTR Tarot Deck: Review and Discussion

"As for myself," said Eomer, "I have little knowledge of these deep matters; but I need it not."
High Lord of Imladris
So in 1996 a tarot deck was approved by the Tolkien Estate and was developed by Terry Donaldson and the artwork was done by Peter Pracownik.

It did have a game associated with it as well that was created by Mike Fitzgerald.

This... Deck was published by U.S. Game systems Inc from the US and as a general rule that I've found between Readers and Tolkien fans in general is considered an absolute hot mess.

It was the first Tarot deck I ever owned and when I was young and i honestly bought it before I'd even finished reading the Two Towers as I was already utterly enamored with LOTR and wanted everything LOTR. Now I own it and apparently it's fairly ridiculously rare (I paid 15 dollars Canadian and I'm only finding it for 100 to 175 dollars) Now honestly I have half a thought to create my own LOTR based Tarot as some of the cards just don't work or are problematic in terms of just what is depicted.

So I figure what I'm going to do is review the cards in the licensed deck and discuss what is wrong with them and perhaps what could have been done better while comparing them to what is generally considered the standard in Tarot deck the Rider Waite deck.

The Ace of Cups
Now this is generally a card about emotional fulfillment as well as using your intuition and following your inner voice and remaining true to it. And that while this can be difficult generally you'll be full of joy.

Now you can see that the LOTR decks focus is not the cup, nor is the scene really about emotional fulfillment. It does involve intuition but more in questioning your intuition instead of trusting it. After all we see the vision in the mirror does come to pass. As well there really isn't joy at least for me associated with this scene in LOTR.

What are your thoughts on this? And is there a scene that you feel would better illustrate the traditional interpretation?

High Lord of Imladris
The Two of Cups

Traditionally this card is about the same as the Lovers card, it depicts a new strong union generally but in the Minor arcana. This can mean friends, business partners etc not just as a lovers relationship. and that the art ABOVE the union shows its higher purpose what makes it unmistakable.

Over all in the LOTR deck they've got this one right for the basics of the quote and scene - Eowyn and Faramir embracing for the first time falling in love, however it's not so much a meeting of their minds and the freedom that they give each other that is depicted, their cups are opposite, I like that they seemt to try to show the higher purpose with the sun and the moon inside the heart but the image really comes across as a seperation of their minds. The cups are apart, the towers are apart, and for some reason the Tree of Gondor is in there. Not sure why that tree is a King of Gondor symbol and if anything would seem to read more like Eowyn is basing her feelings for Faramir based off of the fact she can't have Aragorn that that relationship is dead. (as that appears to be the dead variant of the white tree as it's not a sapling and is barren of leaves. (Also it's really bugging me that the flags on the two towers shown... are BLOWING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS... how is that perfect harmony?)

Honestly I feel like this could have had a much stronger imagery used that would have embodied this card far better with this scene but the execution is just clumsy and honestly |I feel like Pracownik really doesn't know what the cards are for thus far and he's just sorta... drawing perhaps a scene he's been told to and throwing the odd reference from standard cards in there LIKE the two cups?

Other thoughts on this card?

High Lord of Imladris
Three of Cups

So the Three of cups your party card. That's generally what it stands for gathering your closest friends and having a party, especially after a long separation (this is honestly the card every one wants to pull post covid and have it be upright) The imagery is about what each person brings to the table, and about lifting each other up often associated with abundance and harvest and like most of the cups, this card also is the first to really showcase that this is a feminine suite.

NOW the LOTR version. *waves hand at it* The only imagery we get is that there are 3 cups at the top of the image. Absolute hard zero on feminine energy unless we start going into how Tolkien talked about how Bag end was queer and it's folks Queerer - but I highly doubt that this particular artist would be making a play at the sexual orientation of Bilbo and Frodo which his coming up more and more for debate, there is also zero partying, and not so much of lifting each other up. Instead we have barren leaf scatter and Frodo looks more like he's scolding Bilbo (probably for wearing Quaker shoes honestly)

Though it is in fact a reunion after a long time. Now there is a bit of a theme in the LOTR tarot and that is that there are a lot of hobbits being used for the imagery in the suite. However really there were much more suitable 'get togethers of hobbits that could have been depicted. Bilbos long expected BIRTHDAY would have been a closer hit on the general meaning of this card, Merry and Pippin and Frodo reuniting post the destruction of the Ring (one could add Sam in though they really weren't seperated from each other and M, P and F are three cousins) If we want to go with more feminine energy one could illustrate Galadriel, Eowyn and Arwen the three most influential women in the LOTR series as they each uniquely bring something to the story. Probably for the best this artist didn't we'd have tits out on all three of them and I'd want to cry.

High Lord of Imladris
Four of Cups

Ahhh yes the mopey boy that is too sad to and emo to pay attention to any of the things that he is offered. This is showing that for the time being a person is turning to internal contemplation and turning aside new opportunities to do so. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it just means you are waiting to be better prepared to say yes to possibly the same opportunity later.

Making new friends while mushroom picking. I honestly don't remember Frodo, and Merry and Pipping and Sam PICKING mushrooms with Farmer Maggot. They DO eat mushrooms at Maggots house but there is no picking and Merry was not even a part of that scene. He went ahead with Fredding Fredagar to get the new house at Crickhollow ready so honestly at this point the artist is on meth. That's the easiest explanation of where this card came from. Never mind that they are all wearing shoes. Again. Shoes. I guess the guy can't draw feet well? It's my only thought for that. Also what is Sam doing in the 'THRILLER' pose leg and hand wise I'm not sure what Merry/Pippin is doing picking a mushroom a mushroom from the background while in the foreground? Nothing about this image makes sense. I'm glad I've never actually pulled it or I'd have been a lot madder at this deck a lot sooner.

As for the meaning in this card as illustrated - this shows a group of friends welcoming a new friend in, accepting a new opportunity as it arrives, even if it comes baring a threat (if one looks closely Maggot has a dog on a leash coming towards them - which is very in character for Maggot though I feel like he would have all three dogs with him not just one) Over all while there are mushrooms the fields are bare - they don't have a lot of opportunities here there is no richness in the world despite this generally being a farming area during the fall there should be far more richness to this image which would explain why they are accepting the opportunity as it arrives without contemplation. Over all I feel like this card represents in general what the Four of Cups REVERSED would stand for.

New Soul
Revered Grandmother wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:33 amHe went ahead with Fredding Fredagar to get the new house at Crickhollow ready so honestly at this point the artist is on meth.
:lol: it's either that or a weird combo of shrooms (since the shrooms are a theme de jour) or both :lol: I don't know much about tarot, but it's very entertaining and educational to read your posts. :nod:

Reposting my very first and very eloquent contribution to this thread :lol: The shroom comment still stands :tongue:
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

High Lord of Imladris
REPOSTING COMMENT:@Nessa Saelind Honestly I could not rewrite my own comments and yours were just as golden So I would be VERY VERY sad if they were not reposted honestly considering I want to finish the whole deck so I want everything all in one place.

I"m glad your' really enjoying my little posts on this Nessa!

Five of Cups

So the standard cup is about situations not turning out as planned and missing opportunities that are there because you are so focused on those loses however the card also shows you there is a path forward with the bridge and the castle if you just turn away from the opportunities that haven't gone the way you thought it would.

Now the LotR variant is very much about a situation that hasn't gone as it was expected to - the death of Gandalf in the Mines of Moria. It's an excellent scene to be portrayed however the way it's portrayed is off. Mostly in that the company doesn't look like they are lamenting at all, they look more like they are lounging about or having a debate (especially Aragorn and Samwise) the only one with their head down is Frodo the rest The one cup that's IN the image at Aragorns feet (not including the ones at the top) is upright - considering this should be representing Gandalf and his fall, it should be tipped over. The other major thing with this image is that there is no 'obvious path forward'. A stronger image would have been open plains with a forest with yellow leaves symbolic of Lothlorien in the background which was where they headed afterwards. That was their path forwards and instead this card is illustrating the situation that had them stuck as it were.

High Lord of Imladris
Six of Cups

So when you look at the Rider Waite you see innocence and kindness and cooperation it is a draw back to good childhood memories and the security and familiarity that comes with those memories. This is meant to help guide you to reflect on your past so that you can find the keys to your own happiness now and in the future.

Now this particular scene, is not really illustrated in the best manner, it is people that generally are kind and considered innocent interacting with each other in a setting that is NOW safe. One may assume that this is a glance at what would make Merry and Pippin happy in the future - being together doing things that they use to do when they were younger and had less worries to bear - you can see this in the mushrooms around them as well as the pipeweed (and pipe) which is being offered from one to the other. The biggest issue here is that the background while it is safe - we know this from the story is it doesn't look safe. There is no warmth or security in this image which wo

New Soul
Reposting my second contribution to this thread, which quite frankly contributed more than the first :lol:

Wow, the illustration for this card totally missed the mark :lol: As you've already mentioned the background of the LotR Tarot card is really off. Just looking at the colours and the leafless trees and the stone ruins... It's not very safe or pleasant. The illustrator could have done a scene in the Houses of Healing with Merry and Pippin which could have functioned much better than this if they were so stuck on the trees and stone thing... The green leg could be an attempt of green tights/pants/something :shrug: Who knows at this point :shrug:
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
Repost Comment: Honestly I still absolutely adore your suggestion for the Merry and Pippin Houses of Healing and it's honestly on my list for ideas to illustrate should I start making my own deck
Nessa Saelind wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:28 pm The illustrator could have done a scene in the Houses of Healing with Merry and Pippin which could have functioned much better than this if they were so stuck on the trees and stone thing...
An absolutely spot on thought! I didn't even think of that scene which could be very similar in over all composition to the orthanc scene as we could most certainly have the courtyard and flowers...one could even get the guard with their back turned there... (Admittedly putting an ent in the background would have helped the Lord card as it is too)

High Lord of Imladris
Seven of Cups

The original meanings of the Seven of cups it to be careful of what you wish and dream for as not everything is how it seems. Everything in those cups is a gift, not everything in there is one you'd want - the jewels and treasure yes, the snake? Not so much. So you need to be careful and mindful of the choices that you make and that you should be aware of illusions hiding danger.

The LOTR Seven of cups... It's the Palantir. Which I suppose they make sense. they don't necessarily show it as well they are a broader stroke and it doesn't show the lies in the images. You wouldn't even know what those items are they aren't showing anything they are blank. They aren't showing real treasures or dangers - In fact they tend to only show what the person wants to happen, or what is happening and not on the persons hopes over all.

IF it were not for the quote underneath They would come across as glass marbles, and the fact that ALL of them are attached directly from the top which is where we are suppose to be seeing that each of them are different with that geometrice shape it would have looked better UNDER the palantirs showing they were a network and then having images inside them - like the white tower or the white tree on fire, the elven rings, a winged beast. As well one could also perhaps show Aragorn with it as he is the one that really wrestles with the palantir in the books and would work with the original imagery of the Rider Waite.

REPOST COMMENT: So before the blip I'd actually taken part in (LOL I RAN IT) an online convention and one of the attendees/presenters of the convention did a panel on creating working on their own deck. During the discussion it moved to looking at other decks and discussing them - I linked this thread and we had a discussion on this deck thus far. The presenter was shocked there was no in depth analysis of this deck to be found - they did not believe me - and after looking at hat I was doing invited me to start sharing this analysis on their Tarot/Reading group on facebook as they found my comments interesting. They also pointed out that this particular card for some reason has a kabbalah based symbol on it which isn't quite right but at a quick glance it REALLY does come across as a Tree of Life Kabbalah symbol that someone just didn't know what they were doing in drawing it - which HONESTLY does have a lot of meaning in tarot - it can be used as a layout and does represent the meaning of the original card in Rider Waite format however it's not the right symbol drawn.[/colour]

New Soul
I have to admit that having the palantíri as the 7 of cups is a good concept. :nod: Although the primary function of the palantíri was communication, a person of great power could still bend the stone to its will and make the stone show them any part of the world. Or show another person anything. And although seeing something through the palantíri is like having a gift of knowledge, not everything you see or you think you see is truth or something you want - like the snake in the cup.

I like the LotR Tarot card and the concept the illustrator had, it's just that the execution of the concept could be better, also the placement of the palantíri, as you mentioned. If they looked more like the orbs from the film with something swirling in the stones or the stones showing different things it might have been more in line with the original Tarot Card.

Repost of my 3rd contribution to this discussion with an added clarification. Regarding the look of the palantíri: I know the tarot card set was published before the movies came out, but the orbs drawn in this card are kind of "flat". They look like a cheap version of marbles (toys) kids used to play with back in the days when this granny was a child. :lol: There's no dimension, no mystery to them. The movie team did an awesome job there when they showed swirls and mist in the palantíri before revealing something they were supposed to show. Some shading or even putting a tiny scene in the orb would have made this illustration better.
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
@Nessa Saelind Honestly I feel like that is the case with a few of them. The idea is there... the execution is not. The two of cups is another example of it's a good idea but could be done better. And these palantir were illustrated well before the movies were even hinted at in terms of how they were going to look for the public, but it's very clear that you see visions through them (it's what drove Denethor 'mad' as it were so to make images in even a few of them to give the illusion of something in them would have been far superior to how they were portrayed.

Eight of Cups

So this particular cup is to do with abandonment and disappointment and generally being unfulfilled. It's turning your back on something that is missing to find what you need even if the journey to get what you need is not easy and it can be quite tolling emotionally especially as this is meant to be secretive with the mans back turned in the dead of night.

This like the 7 of cups I feel is SOooo very close to being an excellent depiction an image that is true to the orginal intention of the card. We have a hard journey - it is difficult and emotionally tolling (the Dead marshes have faces portrayed in them though I'm not sure I got the image sharp enough for that they are there the yellow clad hobbit is looking at them) We have mountains in the background portraying that difficult journey and it's being done in the dead of night. What I am NOT getting from this particular version of the car is the sense of disappointment and abandonment Perhaps this is because we know that Gollum does not abandon Sam or Frodo at this point - he takes EXCELLENT care of them in fact and if anything this trio in this particular case is about helping each other get through a tough time by staying together by listening to an experienced guide.

Perhaps this is the best option for this particular card - at no point do ANY characters ever fully abandon their quest - there is no true slinking away in the dead of the night by a singular character - the closest I can think of to this is Frodo thinking of taking off on his own to Mordor right when the fellowship breaks. Frodo is leaving at the darkest moment of the fellowship, where Gandalfs loss was temporary this is where we see the true fracturing of the fellowship the disappointment of Boromirs behaviour, the emotional strain. Of course we know that Sam goes with him but neither of them have any idea where they are really going - the don't have a guide that knows the way until Gollum joins them.

High Lord of Imladris
Nine of Cups

So this is an invitation to indulge in all of the finer things in life. Food, drink company all of it, and to enjoy it and find fulfillment in it but not becoming so comfortable that you become stagnant (it's a hard bench so you don't want to be there too long!)

This card works in terms of what is being depicted, The hobbits at Bilbos birthday genuinely DID enjoy the finer things in life and his birthday was an added layer of indulgence in their life. They're comfortable but not too comfortable - aka Bilbo's gonna make a speech at some point. The thing that bothrs me the most about this again is the tree. This is the Party Tree, why does this artist always feel the need to make every tree he depicts thus far DEAD or in winter? Where are the leaves where is the comforts from life itself?

In other news I did also share this thread with another card reader - we were discussing making our own decks in a convention panel the other day and their comment was one that I had never thought of in terms of why some of the cards looks so odd - They are a mix of Rider Waite and the Marseilles which is interesting because the latter is generally a literal depiction of the card (so in this case the 9 cups that we can clearly see) and the two in general do not work together which is possibly why we see so many images just not working.

REPOST COMMENT: Well we are now finished with the reposts, I'm happy to have gotten this far already and I'm excited to start putting up new cards.

New Soul
Some of my musings on the Eight of Cups

After watching the card for a while and thinking about what you wrote that it's supposed to represent I do think that this is one of the cards that really nailed the theme spot on. You mentioned that the Eight of Cups represents abandonment and disappointment and generally being unfulfilled, and when I think about those themes and the scene that the artist chose to illustrate it makes sense to me when I look at just that moment. So Frodo and Sam are with Gollum in the Dead Marshes, going to Mordor. It's a bleak and gloomy environment, bog bodies around them, they have left (abandoned) the Fellowship and the road to their destination is hard and they're not even sure if they can make it there. There's a lot of doubt, uncertainty, dark and heavy thoughts there at that particular moment :nod: and I think the artist's choice to illustrate that particular scene and moment in time really fits the theme of the card :nod: Regardless of what we know happened later in the book. So excellent job on this card :thumbs:

Some musings on the Nine of Cups

I think Bilbo's birthday party is a good choice for this card and I agree with you about the tree :nod: Like give us leaves and life and lovely vivid green colours! I also think Aragorn's coronation party would have been a good choice for this card.
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
Eight of Cups further musings - There is a lot of doubt here, and the abandonment of the quest leaving the quest is very much the point of this card though - which is why I am not sure if it fits, it does an excellent job though over all (this is a reversed version of the card) Some further ideas on what might work - Sam leaving Frodo thinking he's dead would also be excellent I think. Possibly more so than this we'd still get that oppressive feel but it's an image of going it alone.

Ten of Cups

So this card in the Rider Waite is fantastically easy to interperate. It is fulfillment. Where the 9 of cups is normally meant for an individuls fulfilment of their needs and comforts this is the depiction of everyone feeling fulfilled, everyones emotional and physical needs being met. A fellowship as it were

So here... we have Cirdan alone on a dock with the fellowship apparently sailing away (which isn't what happens did these guys even read the books?) So I feel like what they are trying to portray is a good idea - the end of everything everyone is fufilled their needs are met but this comes across as leaving someone behind, I'm not sure if Cirdan ever sailed across the sea but I feel like this is not the best image for this. (Perhaps bilbo sitting in amongst all of his items with neat lables on them that he's about to give away would work better for 9?) never mind that I would never have guessed that was Cirdan depicted and why are the grey havens so.... depressing looking this is an elven harbour.

Honestly I feel like the image depicted on the 9 of cups would be FAR more satisfying for this it's the group of hobbits enjoying life and being fulfilled. That or perhaps the house of healing scene where the remaining members of the fellowship are all reuninted would also be better.

High Lord of Imladris
Page of Cups

So the page of cups is representative of the element of water. This card is about intuition and creativity in your opportunities, curiosity and taking inspirations from unexpected places - the fish in the cup signifies this so that it comes at you when you least expect it as long as you are open to it.

The LOTR card this not exactly a place that I personally would associate with spontaneity, curiosity, or inspirations. The Prancy Pony is more of a stable location that doesn't change like the ocean would be. The fact that they are using Barliman for intuition and creativity is... hilarious to me. Granted there is a lot of spontaneity involved with alcohol which is present on this card but I don't think this is what the artist meant for this particular depiction. I feel like it also has Aragorn in there back by the fire with his hood up and a pipe out.

High Lord of Imladris
Knight of Cups

A young knight is upon a white horse that is not charging, but moving slowly and is the most feminine of the knights but that this doesn't make him any less worthy to be a knight. He is in touch with his emotions, his intuition and will follow it before he follows his head when it comes to making decisions. This knight is about taking your gifts out into the world by bringing an event or person or item. And that that 'quest' that he's brought to you will be of emotional or creative benefit to you.

I mean.... I hate the art. (Look at how big Frodo is on that elven horses back... they turned Asfaloth into a pony.) BUT we do have a young knight (or as close as we will get in LOTR) on a white horse that is not charging that is getting to a rest point before his major quest that is massively emotional and of benefit not only to himself but the world itself. Honestly this is a well thought out scene for this particular card, and is mostly well illustrated (they didn't turn the horse a weird color, they just made him a pony)

Guardian of Imladris
How did I not know about this? This thread is absolutely amazing and I'll have to do a more thorough read-through when I'm not so sleepy. Definitely some weird choices in terms of imagery and symbolism here. I'm excited for when you get to the Major Arcana! (will come back later with more thoughts)

High Lord of Imladris
@Quill I look forward to more of your thoughts on this, and the Major Arcana some of them... some of them are special and that's being really nice an polite about it I'm afraid. That said it shall be a bit we're going through the Minor arcana first and we are only just getting to finishing cups in the next day or two.

Queen of Cups

The Queen of Cups a composed introspective feminine energy that rules the emotions. She is a symbol of thoughts of our subconscious mind but is not over run by the powers of emotion. We see this in the serenity of the card, the calm bright sky and the smooth water and that she is at the cusp of the land and ocean. This card tends to denote an empathetic person in your life that loves you at all costs, a mother to yourself. This cup tells you to follow your intuition, or to accept the help of a person coming into your life (generally feminine though not necessarily!) to help you grow.

Again another strong choice over all for the Queen of Cups. Goldberry is an excellent choice for this for a few reasons - she is very much in tune with her intuition, she is very serene, and she is at least when we see her very much in control of her emotions and helps to sooth those of her guests. Where this card fails.... Is the depiction once again. I suppose they are trying to show her at the water but not touching it but it just seems very much like an attempt to show of some T&A with the posing. There is no brightness to the sky, the background is as the artist seems to love dead and we have a random butterfly and dragon fly in the image. Aside from that the pose that Goldberry is in is weakly structured. There is no exuded confidence from that pose, her balance is off (she's not centered) which doesn't lend to the introspective aspect of the card. I honestly feel that her on a seat in Bombadils house with her buckets of water with lilies in them would have made for a much better depiction for the meaning of this card (and we would have possibly gotten to see her holding a cup.

Guardian of Imladris
Ah, there's one that actually makes sense to me! But I totally agree with your assessment - the pose she's in is overly accentuating her body shape and the imagery around her doesn't connect much with her character. I wonder if there'll ever be another attempt at a Middle-Earth tarot deck, or if the rights are just too complicated nowadays.

High Lord of Imladris
@Quill Part of me wants to try to make my own M-e tarot deck, but I think I would likely leave it off as a one off. The thought of having a C&D from the Tolkien estate on making something like that even if it was close to accurate representations of the characters and settings would be heart breaking for me (and terrifying) and I'm not sure how one would go making an 'unlicensed' version of them since the Estate seems to have gotten incredibly firm with portrayals lately.

That said where the last one made sense.... OHHHHHhh boy oh boy the next one...

King of Cups

So the King of cups is mastery over emotions and creativity... This is conveyed by the scepter and the cup a very standard depiction of a regent over all. However this one appears calm even though the water around him is choppy and turbulent. In that the Queen was composed in a still and bright setting the King of Cups is that step higher, the understanding and mastery so that one is not drown by emotions or turbulence in your life even when you are utterly surrounded by chaos. We can see this chaos in the fact that the Kings throne is in fact in the middle of the water and while the water before him is calmer it is not smooth like in the Queens card, and in the background the swells are the same size as the ship itself without its sails.

This cup is about balance of emotions and logic being able to understand and use them both something that too often men are not permitted to do so this cup can also be about challenging yourself to remember that balance as it is what is needed to succeed.

Gimli and Thorin what? Okay I get that You want to have the Dwarves from the Hobbit in here, but honestly Thorin was NOT the person to represent this cup until he was literally DYING. And I honestly don't know of any point where Gimli and Thorin resolve to work together. Gimli would have been 79 when Thorin and his father set out. So old enough I suppose that he could have gone on the quest but he didn't. Thorin's pose DOES come across as regal and like he is not caring about the background. Which has a rushing waterfall and that now standard dead forest background however the waterfall flows into an exceptionally still stream and loses power very wuickly. We also get to see a mountain possibly a mountain range in the background but none of this feels like Throin is being calm in the middle of chaos with a future generation looking after his back for him.

Honestly of all of the characters that could have been depicted I really think Elrond would likely have been the best. Or Faramir. or Cirdan I suppose Someone that was calm, composed even in the chaos of the word. I personally would go with Elrond first - he's closer to a king being an elven lord, he is highly diplomatic (with the gathering of all the free peoples I can't imagine Celeborn inviting the dwarves to Lothlorien to discuss the one ring or Galadriel for that matter). And has a much greater influence in terms of what happens in the story though Faramir does as well I just feel like he is less Lordly.

Also again I swear they are on the PCP to have come up with this combo as 'part of Lord of the Rings' The Estate actually approved this nonsense. (this sort of thing is why I feel like if I tried I might have a small shred of hope)

This finishes the first of the Minor Arcana suits... next up is Wands.... and more PCP related hallucinations as to what makes sense as a 'wand'

Loremaster of the Herd
Oh no @Fuin Elda. I've been quietly following this thread and that King of Cups is particularly ... hmm, from both a Tolkien branding perspective and a tarot perspective. Cannot imagine how far they're going to stretch wands.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

High Lord of Imladris
@Androthelm well I can honestly say that this deck is not going to disappoint you for wands if you've based your expectations off of what they've done with Cups.

The Ace of Wands

This is about following your following your creativity - and voicing it and finding the willpower to follow your intuition or instincts because as long as you are balanced they will lead you to opportunity. we have this in the fact the wand it still growing - we have green leaves and shoots and the background shows further success - a castle.

Okay so I get that this is the fire suit in general and that this has MOST of the elements discussed in the Rider Waite... I feel like whoever illustrated this card wasn't paying attention to the story. The Ring is not about balance (one would not FORGE a ring using a black smiths anvil and hammer either) AND MOUNT DOOM is not future opportunities. it's where the Ring is destroyed. This card as it stands is pretty much.... Ace of Wands reversed following his intuition in this matter lead to the end of Sauron not to greater opportunities.

New Soul
Have to admit, when I first read the text and looked at the LotR card I was a bit erm... :confused: Confused by the choice :lol: but then I tried to think a bit outside the box and it could make sense.

From Sauron's POV forging of the One ring is a really creative act and he does have the willpower and strength to follow his creative intuition and form something that is both beautiful, powerful and terrifying at the same time... And in a weird way, the One Ring is about balance when you think about the concept of the forces of light and dark, good and evil. You need the dark to appreciate the light... :shrug: I might be getting off course here, but I hope I'm at least coherent :lol:
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
@Nessa Saelind Ohhh I get that it's the creative forces and willpower etc... but it's meant for being a good sign and not well you know. Especially as we know that Mount Doom is the place of both creation and the destruction of the one ring, and since it's made at this point all that's left for the ring at Mount Doom is destruction. I honestly almost feel like Gandalf facing off with the balrog might be a better visualization of this. It's a battle of wills, it involves fire, it has a staff/wand and what comes of it is better than what was before.

The Two of Wands

So the two of wands is meant to build from the ace, it is showing that the path ahead is promising , and that as long as you are willing to rise up to face the challenges that the path itself presents you with. This is a card showing someone that hasn't started on this journey yet that the road ahead is long but fertile, and that the world will open for you if you are brave enough to expand your horizons.

Well we have Gandalf facing off against Sauron the eye, I'm not sure this is a good image for this for one reason, I personally (now someone with more lore knowledge than me may correct me here) don't remember Gandalf hesitating to start working on uniting the free people? If he did then it works. If not? The moment he had proof of Saurons return he started working on defeating him - we saw this in that Gandalf left the group in the Hobbit to face the Necromancer in Dol Guldur even if he didn't know it was Sauron then. This image doesn't have any of the traits of the Two of Wands there is no riches ahead, just dust and misery. We do get our first view of plants and trees with green leaves and flowers on them. The question is what would be a better image for this? Would it be a young Aragorn looking out at the world but hesitating to take his place as king? Perhaps Frodo at the door of Bagend with Bagend bare but the rest of the world ahead of him? We know where both of these characters end up once they do finally start their journey so both I feel would be excellent candidates for the card.

High Lord of Imladris
Three of wands

From his high vantage point our wanderer can see everything before him having left his castle. Thanks to your preparations things have gone steadily and well as you the path before. This can be a signal to further expand your horizons via travel business as well as studying to help you be prepared for the further challenges that lay ahead.

So.. The three hunters, not a bad idea over all, though this image doesn't have them looking out over the plains of Rohan which I feel would be a far better depiction of this image that aside from the preparations part (as they really couldn't prepare) but they are traveling and dealing with the struggles that they have. Their path has changed (which is why I'm not sure this is the best option) is another issue with this depiction. As such I think Frodo and Sam looking head might be better suited to this as it's a continuation of the story of getting prepared for the journey and stepping out to do it.

Now the things that are bothering me art wise. WHAT is with the proportions and sizing of the characters? Gimili is as big or bigger than Aragorn and Legolas, and Legolas is the smallest of all of them. I don't remember Legolas having a rapier, and why don't they all have matching cloaks??? Also Stonehenge is now in Rohan. Of course it is.

High Lord of Imladris
Four of Wands

So this is a beautiful pastoral scene... a wedding ceremony an image of things coming together thanks to your hard work... Almost as if there was a benefit to those steps that one took out of their castle earlier to grow and can now spend that time surrounded by those that matter to them. It's a sign of harmony, prosperity and celebration and finishing a project properly. But also simplicity and family this is not a royal sort of wedding but an appreciation of the pillars in your life like your family and friends.

What in the unholy hand grenade of Antioch is this DIDN"T KNOW GANDALF AND THEODEN WERE GETTING HITCHED. Okay it's not that bad no actually it really is. There is nothing about this as a sign of you've done well this is suppose to be fulfilling or showing that this is a time that a project is properly finished and prosperity or anything of the sort. This is the Four of wands reversed with Gandalf warning Theoden he's shat the bed and needs to fix this or they're all gonna die basically. This scene is him finding out he's been had by his advisor, his sons dead, and there is a mad wizard bent on the destruction of his people. It is grey it is dreary they don't even have Gandalf the White in the scene. You know what would have been a good image for this??? ROSIE AND SAM GETTING MARRIED. This isn't meant to be a high class wedding i'ts meant to be simply things coming together because of hard work, prosperity family friends.

Also ALSO the depiction of Meduseld as a grey stone building is really irking me thats Gondor, we understand the massive difference between the two thanks to the perspectives of Merry and Pippin. Honestly it's in the books.
Sereg a Dîn

Istari Sage
So I know absolutely nothing about Tarot so this has been an interesting read for me, thanks for posting! I'd like to go back and read some of this in detail but quickly, do they still make the LotR Tarot Deck? I wouldn't mind picking one up just for the novelty factor, but it looks like it might be reselling only. Very cool thread though! I'll definitely be back for a more in-depth reading.

High Lord of Imladris
@Romeran it is out of print as far as I am aware my local shop cannot order these directly to stock them and they have carried at this point well over a thousand different decks. I have come across unofficial ones but I'm not sure if those were ever in print or if they are on demand print from people. I found one design on Etsy that was a LOTR tarot that was not these I also found these for 35 us on there

I can't imagine paying that much for these things plus shipping on top of that but for someone that didn't stumble upon these in 2001 ish and needs all the official things that would not be a bad price.
Sereg a Dîn

High Lord of Imladris
Five of Wands

So this is a card that is meant to depict conflict. As you can see by the five men brandishing with their sticks in the air looking like they are about to beat the snot out of each other in the most epic game of make believe swords you ever did see. Now this conflict doesn't necessarily mean a hard fight, it could mean resistance where you are not use to it, it could be something that you find thrilling. I like to call this one the ADHD argument card - it can be good it can be bad this one really depends on what it's being read with and it's placement. Overall though the general fix for the conflict depicted in this card is to listen and to be aware.

So... This is a card where I will say the image at least partially matches the original intent Bilbo is in conflict with the spiders is it resolveable by listening and paying attention? Not so much. Not their worst card depiction but are there better scenes that could be used? Absolutely. Frodo and Gollum at the hidden pool? Faramir and the rangers fighting an oliphant/haradrim? Conflict of Boromir wanting to use the one ring as a weapon against Sauron. HECK actually you know what would be super cool? THE ORCS having their disagreement on how to do things and getting mowed down by the bleeding Rohirrim because they don't listen to each other. Don't ask me why they just did. We also are very much in the Hobbit setting not the Lord of the Rings which has become quite honestly something that has frustrated me with this deck. There is absolutely enough material in the LOTR in order to cover all of these cards.
Sereg a Dîn

High Lord of Imladris
Six of Wands

This is a card about success, where the last card was a battle this is about showing strength purity and victory. We have someone wearing a wreath, the staff they hold is also adorned with a wreath, the horse they are on is white. Now while this is fantastic as it generally is meant to show that you have overcome the distractions of your life and have done well it can also be a sign of self importance if one is not careful.

So this is what they came up with for a card about victory. This is meant to be when the eagles arrived and the turning of the tide, however at this point the battle was not won. This is no victory parade. There are very few of those in the LotR so I can understand it in a sense however there are certainly better moments of victory than this in the LOTR itself rather than the Hobbit, one could go with Rohirrim after the battle of Pelennor, or Helms Deep which would allow for the horse to be more prominent. If one wanted the triumphant person to be more prominent - Aragorn entering Minas Tirith before he is king would also be a good image a think.
Sereg a Dîn

High Lord of Imladris
Seven of Wands

So this want is one against many having to defend his success. He's not necessarily fully prepared for this, he's not armed any better than those that are attacking and if you look closely he's not wearing the same shoes showing he was caught off guard. This is a warning the higher a position of power the more you open yourself up to attack. It is a warning generally that something you are doing is contentious and if you are going to share said view in any public you need to be prepared to defend it.

Aragorn defending against the wraiths on Weathertop. In this case I would say that this is honestly a perfect scene for the depiction of this. Aragorn makes the mistake of taking himself Merry and Frodo to the top of the hill where their enemies could see them, or the spies of the enemies. Not only did Aragorn feel he made the mistake of doing this he knew also that there was little else that he could do it was the best place to defend, and they could use the terrain and the knowledge of the coming attack to raise what defense they could though they couldn't know know when exactly the attack would happen. The issue I have with the card is the anatomy and the utter lack of enemies to be seen in it, the scene and the idea is there but the image itself is lacking.
Sereg a Dîn