Pele's Randomness

Original writings and artwork by Tolkien fans.
Chieftain of Durins Folk
Love the vest, @Pele Alarion! And what a coincidence. I was just tell my love how a vest is all I need to keep me warm in the house. When I have a sweater on, and depending on what I am doing, I find I take it off more often. I get too hot. So I have been wearing an outdoor nylon vest in the house. It works wonderfully keeping my old trunk warm, and not over heating me.

So again, you have inspired me. :smooch: I have been knitting hats. I think I have made at least 30 since the covid-19 started. Time to move on to a new challenge. I will keep you posted on my progress. :grin:
'I would not have you go without seeing Kheled-zâram.'

Beorn
Beorn
*pops back in after a too long absence* so many excellent pictures! I love the cat so much (cat pics have unapologetically become my thing recently)! The old barn picture with the flowers is gorgeous. The light, the color contrast, the angle, it's the kind of image I have in my head when I think about rural or fairy like settings but can never find outside my own head. Well, now I know where they've been hiding out!

Congrats on completing the knitting project! I would have nowhere near the patience to do something thst detailed. I'd have given up and refused to try and pick it back up.
My heart is pure but my church is black

Thain of The Mark
Very nice vest! I wish I could knit. My grandmother tried to teach me when I was younger (when she was still alive) and it did not go well. I know that cables like that take quite a bit of skill (and probably patience too!) It looks like it will keep you nice and warm this winter!

Ilmarë
Ilmarë
Your sunrise shots continue to amaze me - you have some incredible views out your window, Pele. And the nighttime photo with the moon looks so serene. Latvia is g o r g e o u s.

Well done with the vest!! It looks wonderfully cozy for winter. <3
she/her | ♫ I’m not mean, I’m a thousand years old and I just lost track of my moral code ♫

Counsellor of Gondor
@Fuin Elda :grin: Well...

@DrifaI'm not that good with hats, but then I sometimes knit lots of socks. :D And a random bigger project like this vest.

@Beowulf I suspect that the fairy in charge of those flowers by the barn is my friend's mum. :grin: As for the knitting, I find detailed stuff fun and am bored with anything that doesn't challenge me.

@Taethowen Cables are not really difficult, they just require attention to detail and quite a bit of patience. :wink: If I didn't work too much, I'd probably knit more...

@Skwovet Aaaach, I miss my sunrises. It's been so grey and dark, and I haven't seen the sun for weeks. Suppose just have to wait...
As for the new stuff, I haven't taken any pics as I get out only when it is already dark (silly work). Just a couple of pics from the latest Saturday run which at least was not in the dark.

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Thain of The Mark
You know, overcast skies (especially when they stick around for too long) can be a drag sometimes, and I know so many photographers who love to talk about the golden hour of daylight for taking photos, but there's something calming about the soft light in a picture from a cloudy sky.

Also, as a non-knitter, cables are intimidating, lol! But I'm glad you find them to be not-difficult. They look great on your vest.

Beorn
Beorn
Hey, you never know when a fairy will turn up or who they'll turn out to be! We They could be anyone!

Roads always excite the wannabe philosopher in me. I can't quite put my finger on why they fascinate me but I'm always entranced by them. The lighting (especially on the second photo) creates an air of mystery and and metamorphosis. Where is the road going? Who is on the road? Where was the road been? Why am I on this road now? I love all these questions.

These are beautiful shots!

Counsellor of Gondor
Well, the roads. But where do you think this footpath is leading? :wink:
Also, caught a tiny bit of winter before it all melted away.

Ent Ancient
I love that! The close-up shot on the snow is especially good. How long separated these two? The weather has been warm all winter, here.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Counsellor of Gondor
@Androthelm The snow pic is taken on the next day - some 20 km eastwards of the forest location which is almost by the sea. The snow didn't even reach those green hills, though it is almost right there...

Ent Ancient
Well, that explains it -- apart from one very light snowfall on Christmas, we haven't gotten any (cold) weather since November :(

Ilmarë
Ilmarë
Those woodsy paths look gorgeous and so peaceful. I’d give a lot to be on trails like that for my runs these days!

How are those sunrises these days? Still quite grey?
she/her | ♫ I’m not mean, I’m a thousand years old and I just lost track of my moral code ♫

Counsellor of Gondor
Still haven't seen any sunrises, no. Though today I might just have slept through it: the day was sunny, but I woke up quite late.

However, winter is here again for a bit, and I've tried to capture it.

One of the neibhouring houses has a man who is an excellent gardener with lots of creativity: I have seen him take such care working with the bushes and flowers, and now he had put up these for the holiday season (photo taken before snow - now only faces are left without other decorations)!

Visited mum... it was scary to drive on a gravel road covered in snow and ice, but it was worth it. If the road gets more icy than this, I won't attempt going there though...

Also, managed to fish out my phone to take a couple of pics on my late evening runs through the streets:

Loremaster of Gondor
Ah look at all that snow @Pele Alarion! I just took my dog for a walk and we got our first nice snow of the season where I am, and I cannot express how happy I am about it.

Counsellor of Gondor
@Ta'leus Shieldsong Snow is just lovely, isn't it? :grin:

Here is how the lake looks under a blanket of snow, the pic taken yesterday; and this morning there were many guys sitting on ice and fishing.
It snowed a bit more, and finally it was enough to get my skis out. Off I went to make use of winter fun while it lasts for a bit. I must be rusty though, ran into the bushes, fell a few times, bruised my knee, and somehow the ski boots gave me blisters. Still, I regret nothing.
And finally got a lovely sunrise again!

Fea
I am so jealous you can just go for a ski round where you live, Pele! The snow photos are gorgeous. We haven't had any snow where I live yet, though I'm still holding out hope!

Chieftain of Durins Folk
Just got our second mayor snowfall in my part of Canada. Still not much snow, but enough to ski on. Thanks for sharing your photos, Pele. So much like home. :smooch:

Loremaster of Gondor
Ah you went skiing @Pele Alarion! I’m even more jealous now.

Counsellor of Gondor
*basks in outpourings of jealousy* :lol: Forecast promises warmer weather and rain as of tonight/tomorrow, so wondering if I should go out to ski, even though it is dark and very windy.
Later edit: well, I did go out and enjoyed skiing so much that now my legs and shoulders are sore, somehow it ended up being almost 12 km... No pics though. :tongue: I was too busy skiing.

Counsellor of Gondor
It has been rather cold, so I have not ventured anywhere far, and don't have too many pics to show off or anything. Only a random winter evening scene and this morning's sunrise:

Counsellor of Gondor
Actually... Went for a run and witnessed a beautiful sunset.

Ent Ancient
These are great as always @Pele Alarion! I especially like the second one in that last post -- how cold was it? It doesn't look like there's too much ice in the water.

Counsellor of Gondor
@Androthelm The sea doesn't freeze over so easily; it was -7°C or so. At least the lake is covered in ice all over, and the youngsters are having their hockey practice on it.

Chieftain of Durins Folk
Classic shots, Pele! The horizon, the line between heaven and earth, is always breathtaking. :smooch:

Counsellor of Gondor
I guess I'm mostly taking very similar photos lately. Always enjoying lake and sea views, but perhaps they might become boring (the same yet again) to others. :tongue: Just a couple photos from my Friday run.

Counsellor of Gondor
@Tarawen, a collection of various sunset pics for you! :wink:

As the evenings become longer, I have been able to catch the amazing sunset views when getting to the sea in time, though as soon as the sun is gone it gets so cold that I have to hurry back home as fast as I can.

Also tried to capture the sight of a ferry leaving the port, but the phone didn't want to cooperate - zooming in only resulted in a grainy and foggy pic.

A conference of crows by the sea, apparently...

Waves at sunset

One evening was not very successful in terms of sunsets: the clouds rolled in, it was very cold and windy.

And a sunrise (now they are often too early for me)

Ilmarë
Ilmarë
I'm constantly in awe of the gorgeous view you have - I'll count myself lucky if I someday have views half as beautiful outside my window!

These are all gorgeous, but the second shot you've shared here is so striking. The bright colors in the sky, the rolling waves... Beautiful! I hope you continue trying different angles and points of focus and sharing the results with us here, Pele. :grin:

Counsellor of Gondor
No more sunrise and sunset pics for the time being...

The spring has come, and the flowers are blooming.

Though one day suddenly there was a flurry of snow.

And while out running, I might have played with a dilemma if I should finish my run in a few minutes or sit down and wait for a bus (arriving after many hours).

Beorn
Beorn
I don't know if it was intentional, but I quite enjoyed the narrative of these three pictures tell: the first picture is a bright, colorful picture with a flower blooming, the beginning of new life, then a picture of a wild snow storm with muted colors and a surreal, painting-like quality, then finally the road sign, a sign of industrialization with a single, but very bright splash of color that drowns out the rest of the landscape.

I don't know if this was intentional or not, but either way I think you did fantastic with these photos!

Chieftain of Durins Folk
Love the sea and sky photos! Beautiful! And the colorful wild pansy. They are the prettiest little flower.❤️
'I would not have you go without seeing Kheled-zâram.'

Healer of Imladris
Heya Pele! There's so much to catch up on! I miss skiing and snow so much, though I guess May 1st would be a little late for it in any case. I love seeing your corner of the world, but especially that first sunset pic from the March 12th post where you can see the bubbles left in the sand as the waves roll out, and the snow flurry from the last set. It's such a beautiful shot, but also I kinda want to turn it into an extra hard 5000 piece jigsaw puzzle. :grin:
Top-class Canine Associate Feline Sovereign of Currently in Cahoots with Aerlinn Mordagnir

Counsellor of Gondor
@Prometherion I mostly put them chronologically, but I like the aspects of story you shared!

@Afird Splitax Well, more sky though with the lake this time, not sea. And flowers.

@Yávië Sometimes there is still snow! *blinks* And I would definitely attempt putting such a puzzle together!
Early work is not that enjoyable, but then again - what other way do I have to spot some wonderful sunrises these days? If I wake up at 8, the sun is already shining full force (if there are no clouds instead).

And flowers; in fact there was a whole carpet of them, but the pics didn't turn out that well.

Councillor of Elrond
Honestly I adore all of the photos of the sunsets and lake shores (and Seriously Frodo stop tempting me! Apparently now that I own my tattoo shop I may have way more disposable income and Covid will not last forever!)

The snowy roads are very familiar to me, even if they aren't where I love I understand how they can be scary especially when they are not the normal. I terrorized my city dwelling friends more than once going for drives on roads that as they put it 'the Gods abandoned after the second snow fall' in a compact car. We're still getting snow here occassionally where I live (woke up this morning to an inch and a half of snow everywhere) so seeing flowers is lovely since atm only place I'm seeing flowers is in a greenhouse.

Ilmarë
Ilmarë
The second photo in your most recent post is glorious! I don’t like getting up early, but if those views were available to me...maybe I’d rise earlier more often. :lol:

It looks like spring has arrived for you! I hope you’re enjoying time outdoors when you’re not working!