Eldrith's Photography

Original writings and artwork by Tolkien fans.
Esquire of The Mark
Fighting shots are not my specialty. I CAN do them of course, but there are others who are better at them than I am. Mostly because it's where I spent the least amount of time. When I am hanging out around the battlefield, it's mostly because I am water bearing. As you can see from the armor.. whether the day is hot or cool, they need plenty of fluid replenishment!! In the blue is one of Atlantia's best female fighters! I don't recognize the others but I know the heraldry on the blue shield with a yellow cross is one of our members who has received the accolade of knighthood about a year later.

@Bereth
Yes and no, it depends on the shot. When you are shooting something like court, you are focusing on what happens right there in the moment. You try to avoid major distractions in the background by how you position, but there are things the camera sees that your eyes doesn't have time to catch, especially if you don't do posed portraits. There's many a shot where I had to crop or simply discard because one of the people in the background was scratching their nose, or making a face...
Kill-Stealing Skirt Wench
When others ride out to win renown, let me chosen to tend the house.

New Soul
Yes, excellent, action shots! I actually have almost the exactly boots that the kneeling person has- though those look like they might be made by a different bootmaker. This looks so fun! I believe you about the water-- having worked as a performer for renaissance festivals... hours of intense work in costume or armor layers gets intense. Glad you all have water bearers. Important work!
they/he/mischief

New Soul
Love these SCA shots @Eldrith! While I don't have an SCA where I live (or even one remotely nearby), I still travel a lot to photograph weddings and end up shooting a lot of costumed offbeat things similar to this. It's so fun!
she/her

Esquire of The Mark

@Tari I LOVE shooting weddings. I have a child with special needs which mostly prevents me from taking the step to actually making a business in photography, because I realize the time investment it takes. However as a solace I offer my services at our church (for about $200 which doesn't even cover my time at $10 per hour) for people who can't afford a professional photographer! It's a way to give back, indulge my passion and further my skill!

New Soul
@Eldrith That's a great service to offer your church. Businesses definitely take time!
she/her

Black Númenórean
The action shot is great, Eldrith! The fighter who is down on one knee really conveys how dynamic the moment must have been. And I love the detail of this latest photo. Was that from a wedding shoot? (Also it is really amazing of you to offer your photography services as an affordable option for people!)
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Esquire of The Mark
@Tari It means being taken somewhat for granted.. LOL Frequently I get a call about ten days out.. if I can, I do it. But people seem to think on such short notice, I can arrange not just to photograph but to also record the wedding. Can't be in two places at once unfortunately and I need more time to arrange someone to watch the kids if my husband (also a photographer, and the one who normally mans my second camera) needs to be there too.

@Tarawen That was indeed a wedding shoot. I really loved the details of that wedding. I try to shoot the usual, the happy couple, the ceremony moments, but these little details that take so much work frequently end up forgotten if they're not photographed.

This was one of the 'impromptu, at an event sessions' where I just arranged with people to meet up at a certain place on the event site and shot for ten to twenty minutes. The husband makes all the garb! He's an absolutely amazing tailor!

New Soul
@Eldrith -- I totally get that. Arts fields are especially notorious for being taken for granted, and I'd bet some people don't realize what an astronomical deal that is. Working as a performing artist and musician, I have that kind of thing happen frequently. I'm glad you've found ways to do your work; it's definitely a balancing act!

I love the impromptu sessions-- and amazing! Getting a glimpse into this world and all of these brilliant artists and crafters, yourself included. I took one semester of costume for my theatre major, but it's been a long time since I've done much of my own sewing.
they/he/mischief

Esquire of The Mark

Black Númenórean
Eldrith wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:02 pm @Tarawen That was indeed a wedding shoot. I really loved the details of that wedding. I try to shoot the usual, the happy couple, the ceremony moments, but these little details that take so much work frequently end up forgotten if they're not photographed.

Ah it's awesome that you take the time to notice and photograph the little things! And I'm sure the couples whose weddings you're shooting appreciate it, too. :smiley24: I think I asked explicitly for my photographer to take some shots of little things and am glad we have those photos now.

I am very curious about this sculpture! Where is this from? And I think you've given it lovely focus (especially love that you can see its reflection on the table so clearly!).

Esquire of The Mark
@Tarawen , it's a 16th century carved wooden chess figure: the knight from a chess set. At least according to the museum where I photographed it!

Fea
That wedding photo is just gorgeous (makes me think of Cinderella!), you're so right about lots of those finer details being over-looked on the day, when actually someone will have spent hours and hours meticulously getting all of the little bits right - so it's lovely that you think to catch them on camera too. And your husband is certainly a very skilled tailor! All these photos are lovely to see.

New Soul
@Eldrith Love that reflection in the last one!
she/her

Esquire of The Mark
@Nia : I loved how it sparkled.. That wedding had lots of pretty little details all over! BTW, it's not my husband that's the tailor, but the husband of the couple in the photo, I should have been more clear. My husband's a photographer for a hobby as well (and a professor by day).

@Tari I love the challenge of photographing in the museum and getting shots like that, especially from behind glass, no way to adjust lighting, not allowed to use lighting.. But on the other hand, you can take your time. During weddings or events everything is: take the shot or loose the shot!

This one is a detail picture from an entire session to show off the magnificent dress that you just get a glimpse of here! Since it happened outside an event, I bartered and they seamstress made me a very simple and very magnificent dress in return. I think both of us felt like we got the better part of that deal!

Esquire of The Mark

Doorwarden of The Mark
I like that one. Well done!
“… Wise but unlearned, writing no books but singing many songs…”
Re-OP Count: 8

New Soul
I really love these up close shots!
And this latest picture is too sweet for words. Is this baby royalty? Young age to be crowned at-- I hope the burden of ruling isn't too much. XD
they/he/mischief

Esquire of The Mark
@Lucifer Definitely not royalty though we've joked about a regency set up in his name if he went for Baronage.. the coronet is a baronial coronet, his mother's, who is a court baroness. I did some family shots and this was a little spur of the moment fun when he was dozing of in mom's arms!
@Wamba_the_Fool I used to work at a portrait studio for a bit!

New Soul
These last couple are so sweet!
she/her

Black Númenórean
Love these last shots, Eldrith! The detail on the dress and the baby's crown is sharp and lovely. Such a sweet family shoot! I adore the expressions on mom and baby's faces in this last one. Both look so peacefully content. :smiley24:

New Soul
I love the greens in this shot-- the costume pieces seem made for the scenery they're surrounded by. It's such a beautiful shot-- what a set of expressions you've captured here! I can't get over that little smile with the tongue sticking out. Pure joy. :)
they/he/mischief

Esquire of The Mark

A lady who had just been elevated to the order of the Laurel swearing fealty! The picture is slightly grainy because we are not allowed to use flash or extra lighting so we're at the mercy of what light there is.

@Sil’s Fool Thank you! I love doing them. Unfortunately I can't always choose the backgrounds, it depends on what the site offers. But I was so lucky here!

Black Númenórean
@Eldrith - I think you did a great job with the lighting you had! It's tough to work without flash indoors but you did a really nice job. I love all the expressions you've captured here!

New Soul
For sure, Eldrith, and it's great to see this kind of progress!

I love this wee skeleton-- how strange and whimsical he is. Is the affect of the blurring in the background done with a lens, or is that an edited effect? Honestly, I'd love to hang a piece like that on my wall; every part of it seems such a deliberate and wonderful part of its overall composition. Plus, whimsical skeletons suit me. I've always had a spot for the Yoricks :smiley10:
they/he/mischief

Esquire of The Mark
@Tarawen Harder because courts are usually during twilight where your light changes constantly and you can't even set up additional light. I've had a few outdoor courts where, by the end there is barely any light at all!

@Sil’s Fool The blurring is done in camera. Don't get me wrong, I am all for post processing, but I try to get as much of what I want in camera where possible. I think this was also before I started consistently shooting RAW.

Esquire of The Mark
Three days ago, I got a call from someone, referred to me by the Parish. Could I shoot their wedding. They had had to postpone the big wedding two times, their family can't come, and in the end they decided they just wanted to be married.
So we made it happen. I am not sure how she did this on such short notice but she arranged the sweetest, tiny wedding. Their were even masks matching their wedding colors..

Doorwarden of The Mark
Ohhhh, this is so touchingly lovely! It looks like it was a very unique and personalized wedding. (Any chance you were the crafter of the crochet accents?). And there are a few more above that I also like very much, especially the baby and the one before that. And the red Lady. What fun to be doing what you love!

Black Númenórean
This photo is adorable! I am so sad for folks who've had to postpone or cancel weddings, but am glad this couple found a way to do so safely in a way that honored their relationship!

New Soul
Oh, what a sweet photo-- What a thing to try to arrange on short notice! I love that they found a way to come together in a way that was meaningful to them-- that sounds like a lot of tough obstacles.
they/he/mischief

Esquire of The Mark
Thank you all! During the ceremony things kept getting steadily darker outside.. and then just about 5 minutes in the pictures we were taking outside, it started to drizzle. Then pour..then.. the heavens just opened.

And I got this!

Black Númenórean
Ahhh, I love this. She looks amazing and what a special, lighthearted moment you were able to capture! I especially love this in black and white - the rain stands out and blurs everything so beautifully.

New Soul
I love this! This makes me so utterly happy-- what beautiful shot. I have a question-- does the water show up that well with no help (that's a broad question I guess- does it need extra editing, etc.)? My brain is thinking of how they used to add milk on screen (maybe still do?) do get rain to show up, though that's film.
they/he/mischief

Esquire of The Mark
@Burnt Toast Honestly there's practically no picture that I send out without editing. Mostly it's just the slightest rotation to level it perfectly, or a lighting of shadows under difficult circumstances. I shoot in RAW format which makes editing easier without damage to the actual file.
In this case, obviously I put it into a black and white format, but black and white is not all created equal. I deliberately chose a punch up for this one, then adjusted levels of white (because the cream colored wedding dress fills such a large amount of the image) and that's it.

@Tarawen I love the shot, it blurs just slightly in that skirt to convey movement but it's frozen enough to see the detailing of the lace and the smile on her face. It's joy. It's also a reminder not to go out without my camera's rain coat!!!

Esquire of The Mark
Bereth wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:31 pm Ohhhh, this is so touchingly lovely! It looks like it was a very unique and personalized wedding. (Any chance you were the crafter of the crochet accents?). And there are a few more above that I also like very much, especially the baby and the one before that. And the red Lady. What fun to be doing what you love!
I missed that question earlier. But no, I did not have anything to do with the decorations. I didn't know the bride or groom aside from seeing them at some of the other weddings I photographed. I am hoping to get to know them better though, because they were lovely people to work with!!

Esquire of The Mark

It's always a privilege to photograph the work of artists. This was photographed from a display in what's affectionately known as KASF, Kingdom Arts and Science Festival and it's a Temari ball made by one of the artists in my barony.

Healer of Imladris
Oh wow, what a time to be photographing weddings, Eldrith! I'm sure that with if everyone's uncertainty and frustration over cancellations and postponements your skills are extra appreciated. The rain shot is beautiful.

And of course, that little giggly baby smile up above. And I can just feel his sweet wispy hair underneath the crown. :smileyHEARTEYES:

Interesting to see Japanese/Asian crafts come out of SCA fairs! I've never made a temari but it seems like the sort of thing I would enjoy.
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

Esquire of The Mark
@Aerlinn
I think up until about 10-15 years ago, the SCA was very euro centric. The last decade (or two, I've only been in for about 8 years) they have broadened their definition. This lady gives lessons too in how to make Temari. She has several that are exhibited on our arts and science competition. I thinks he helped us win the Baronial competition at this Kingdom Arts and Science Festival.

Loremaster of the Herd
Ahh! That wedding photo! So cute!
I feel like everyone in your photos has incredible taste in clothing.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Black Númenórean
The Temari is SO BEAUTIFUL. At first glance, it looks like shiny paint on a black orb, but now that I’ve looked closer (and looked up how they are made), I’m even more impressed! The artist must appreciate having your lovely photo showing their work on display.

Esquire of The Mark
Maaaaybe one of my favorite sessions. I started taking some commissions outside of events for SCA people. They have the option to pay cash but in the SCA I also accept barter. This talented dressmaker made me two gowns (Dress and overdress) from fabric I provided.

We had some absolutely beautiful shots, period style. I used the Riverwalk here in Columbia SC as my backdrop as well as the State Museum.
But.. the State Museum has so many fascinating exhibits. Ahum. And we can't always resist...

New Soul
Ah, I find this last photo super fascinating @Eldrith ! The fun light and the contrasting historical storylines are telling a story that is simply intriguing. I love it. Do you have any more from this one? Would love to see them!
she/her

Doorwarden of The Mark
I had to go look up what a Tamari ball was, so beautiful, and so tempting to try my hand at it, lol. Also, I missed reading that you do wedding shoots for those who can’t afford a photographer, that’s so incredibly kind of you!

And, of course, I absolutely loooove the dress! It looks like you! What a unique way to capture it!

Esquire of The Mark
@Tari They are part of a session "Portrait of a dress". A friend of mine is an amazing dress and this gown was made for our twelfth night celebration (with the black overdress and hat, etc.)
We made an entire portrait session of medieval inspired pictures. Only of course we don't have medieval things here. So I managed with some scenery near the museum where I worked.. and we couldn't help but take some pictures in the museum. Some more serious ones to showcase the dress. Others well.. we played around with what we found! I DID love the juxtaposition of the different ages, the story you could think.. and I am happy myself with the light. LOL Apparently working for years in an environment with no control over the light has taught me soemthign.

@Bereth You would love the SCA.

Last edited by Eldrith on Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esquire of The Mark

High Warden of Tower
*looks at lovely photos*
Last one... Baby shark do-do-do... *runs away laughing*

Black Númenórean
I love the blending of time periods in these photos, Eldrith! And that dress is spectacular - I love that you accept barters for your photography work. I think my favorite is the shark one, for obvious reasons :lol:

Esquire of The Mark

Black Númenórean
Oooo this is amazing! I'm loving the textures in both foreground and background. How was the foreground effect achieved?

Esquire of The Mark
Tarawen wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:47 am Oooo this is amazing! I'm loving the textures in both foreground and background. How was the foreground effect achieved?

Photoshop. But the picture was deliberately taken with the photoshop already in mind in the way it was originally lit. In itself, it's a layered image, the foreground effect is a simple broken mirror.

Black Númenórean
Very cool! I wondered if you'd somehow found a cracked mirror in which to shoot a reflection. :lol: