A Game of Microscope

Original writings and artwork by Tolkien fans.
Wise Ent
Well, this started of very differently to how I imagined it would. I love it!

I think it would be fun to play any of the potential people gathered, but I am going to choose the Vice Chancellor of the Britannic Institute: Sir Benjamin Gargrave.

Thain of The Mark
Ok. Now that I've had sleep, food, and caffeine since my super early for me post this morning, I submit my government official presiding over the proceedings:

Ruth Ragnell, the People's Speaker for the Federation Congress.

I love the fantasy-esque Star Trek vibe going on, @KingODuckingham!
Last edited by Taethowen on Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Healer of Imladris
Oooooh, I love it Ducky! Presenting...

Celestial cartographer and smuggler purveyor of magical artifacts: Farrison Hord Kota Kohama
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

Istari Steward
Let's not wait for @DEATH, I haven't seen him log in for quite a while. @Dimcairien Luiniel should really choose a character before I do, but I'll likely be playing some sort of lady witch doctoress.

In the meantime, though, play proceeds in the same order we chose characters, so @Taethowen will take the first turn, then Li. then Aerlinn then Dim, then back to me. The next step is to do what the game calls "reveal thoughts". To quote:

Each player states one thing their character is thinking about the upcoming Scene.
Your thought could reveal what your character is going to do or highlight
what your character expects to happen. Revealed thoughts are a powerful
tool for influencing the Scene. They let you give the other players hints
about where you want the Scene to go.
Don’t reveal thoughts that answer the Question before the Scene even
starts–you can hint or stack the deck, but don’t give a definite answer.
Your thoughts can be about other players’ characters, but you’re only saying
what your character thinks or believes.

Once everyone has added some thoughts we'll begin the real role-play of the scene. Don't forget the Question!

Elven Enchanter
Ah, sorry guys! This thread kind of slipped my mind amidst all the other things I'm trying to keep track of.

I guess I'll play a "magician", (I don't think anyone has quite claimed that role yet, and you can't have too many of them) name TBD as I can't think of anything brilliant right now.
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

Istari Steward
Don't sweat it Dim, there's no rush.

I should say, since I realize looking back now I forgot to give an example, that the sample "thoughts" they give in the book are only about two sentences. You can be more detailed if you want, but really these preliminary thoughts are just hints to the other players about how you're planning to play out the scene so that we can work together instead of against each other. I don't think y'all will have problems with that though. :)

Thain of The Mark
@KingODuckingham so this would be something more like a point-of-view summary, without any RP actions with it, correct? I'll try to get something up tomorrow.

Istari Steward
Right, so like the example they give is:

“The navigator wonders why they’re really being sent to
Korvis IV. He can’t believe they’d send a ship all the way
out here just to take spectrographic readings.”

Really basic stuff.

New Soul
KingODuckingham wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:59 pm Let's not wait for @DEATH, I haven't seen him log in for quite a while.
Yeah, apologies. Been a lot of work-related shenanigans for me lately. Long story short my employment involves an indirect role in reporting on emergency events and my part of the world has recently declared a state of disaster due to a spike in covid cases. End result I've not had a lot of time to visit here. I'm gonna have to sit this one out but I'll check in whenever I can to see how it plays out because I think it's a really intriguing idea and I want to see what you all make of it.

Sorry I can't commit, I was really looking forward to this. I'm sure you'll all do splendidly in my absence though.
THIS IS A BLOCK OF TEXT THAT CAN BE ADDED TO POSTS YOU MAKE. THERE IS A 100 CHARACTER LIMIT.

Thain of The Mark
@KingODuckingham okay, taking a stab at mine then! Slapping character name/title on here too just so I can keep track! Also, do we want to compile any of the other things we've done (like the yes/no list, etc) into one post for reference?

Ruth Ragnell, the People's Speaker for the Federation Congress

She dreaded that it wouldn't be possible. That after the conference today, she'd have to tell countless citizens--families--that they would never be able to speak with or see their loved ones again. Especially with the tensions ripping through the room, the ones that threatened to further tear asunder any meager alliances so far, right when they most needed to come together to solve this problem. This was beyond her pay-grade--beyond anything any of them could have ever imagined--but she would try.

A bit more than two sentences, but I think it's still fairly concise. Maybe, lol.

Istari Steward
Don't worry @DEATH , I always figured things would come up and we all understand. We'll definitely miss your writing skill though!

That's awesome Taeth.

@Li. you're up!

Wise Ent
Sir Benjamin Gargrave, Vice Chancellor of the Britannic Institute:
Sir Benjamin stroked his lapel and surveyed the room. It was an eclectic mix of delegates, to be sure, and Sir Benjamin wondered why the Britannic Institute had involved itself with such a misguided endeavour. However, it was not his to reason why. He was simply there to protect the interests of the Institute. Tonight, that meant acting as a gatekeeper for the Institute's considerable wealth and making sure the wrong sort, so called magicians for example, were kept from the head of the table.

Edit: I second what Taeth said. A consolidation post would really help!

Istari Steward
Agreed. I think it's probably best if I edit it into the opening post, right? That'll be the least likely to get lost. The other option is the post I made when we officially started the game, but since there doesn't seem to be any way to save a particular post (just a thread), might as well be in the OP. I'll get to it.

@Aerlinn You're third!

Healer of Imladris
Kota Kohama
It felt like a trap. All these maybe-magicians and would-be-wizards gathered together under a Federation roof. Kota would never have come within a thousand miles of it if he hadn't seen every radio and scanner on his ship go dead with his own eyes. But here he was, leaning against a wall at the back of the room and wondering if any of the magic things he had ever bought and sold were real.

Oops, my turn, eh? Sorry for the delay! @KingODuckingham I agree that the OP is the best place to put stuff. Or the first post of a new page, but we've got a little ways to go before the next one.

Istari Steward
@Dimcairien Luiniel sorry forgot to post a reminder, but technically you are up, then I am. Once I make my post then @Taethowen will kick us off in full roleplay mode.

also I know I haven't reformatted the OP yet, so sue me. :rasp:

Elven Enchanter
Sorry I completely forgot about this again. Will try to do better. Hope my post makes sense and is in line with what we're trying to do.

Cora the Sorcerer (The Magician)

As the Sorcerer sat at the circle, her eyes narrowed, not really knowing the reason for the gathering. She knew of the days of magic, whether through her own memories or through the memories of collected ancestors, she did not know.