Pele's Randomness

Original writings and artwork by Tolkien fans.
High Warden of Tower

Pele's Randomness

WARNING!

Random things ahead, do not expect any particular order!

This thread has come into being because @Tarawen said I should make one when I kept showing her pics from my phone and telling her she should visit Latvia. :smiley8:

Whatever pictures I share are merely a result of me seeing something beautiful and trying to capture it by using my phone.

Probably some other things might appear in this thread, randomly - as warned.

High Warden of Tower
I am staying with a friend for a while, so most recent pics come from her garden, yard and other surroundings.

These strawberries were really delicious!

This is just an old shed in the yard.

Neighbour's kitty cat...

Blossoming beans

And potatoes

Also, a nearby lake at sunset
P.S. Didn't mean for strawberries to be so huge, but hey... they really were very tasty!

Black Númenórean
I maintain that your photos are gorgeous and cannot WAIT to visit Latvia someday when the world is a bit less scary!

The strawberries look delicious and refreshing (it's hot here today, so I am craving cool sweet treats) and the lake scene looks so perfectly peaceful. Also, I randomly decided yesterday that my hobbit NPC has a cat named Socks, whose appearance I shall now base off of the kitty you photographed.

YAY I am so glad you're back in the Cottage! *sits down and awaits the explosion of glorious randomness to come*
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

New Soul
@Pele Alarion ! Ah! I'm so glad you've made a cottage thread!

Your photos are gorgeous; they're also such lovely little snippets of life. I definitely want to visit Latvia. Someday...

That might just be 'an old shed' but it looks like a magical wee forest cottage, just waiting for adventure!
they/he/mischief

High Warden of Tower
*provides mandatory honey cake and tea*

I should have taken my phone along for this morning's run. It was raining, while I drove there, so didn't want to get the thing wet, but then again it didn't rain while I ran. Definitely would have provided for a few wonderful scenes to capture, such as cobwebs strewn with rain drops and what not... Ran on the forest path with sea only some 20 m away, got my feet wet on overhanging grass, and then back along the sea. Saw a fox, a lot of various sea birds, and... a half-decayed seal. Did get a tick too, but it was easily removed since it had probably just settled down on my leg to eat. :D

Healer of Imladris
KITTY CAT

Looks like a lovely place, Pele. I love the reeds and their reflection in the lake, and the strawberries are mouth-watering. I've only seen two foxes in my life, are they more common to spot over there?
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

High Warden of Tower
Aerlinn, there are quite a lot of foxes to meet here. :)
All righty. Some more pics. Still staying with my friend, and there are these old cars in the yard... Figured I could try and capture the view.

Err... absolutely random one. A closer look at an electricity pole.

Interesting clouds at the staff conference camping location.

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
There are some lovely photographs here, Pele. I particularly like the sky/lake landscapes. They promote a very nice tranquil feeling. The simple complexity of nature’s often overlooked beauty. :clap:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

Black Númenórean
Ahh Pele! These are really neat. I feel like you could give the first one a grungy edit and it'd fit right in with the old car. I love the clouds in the last photo so much! Looks like a beautiful scene. Please share more!

High Warden of Tower
Ah, not sure I know how to play with editing photos, so they come as they are on my phone. :D A couple of fresh ones...
There had been rain one evening, and the drops just looked lovely on the grass blades.

The same evening, just a bit further down the road. :D

And went into the garden after this morning's run...

Black Númenórean
Aw I love the beads of dew on the grass. That's always such a lovely sight! That looks like a lovely road for a run - with all the trees and fields for scenery. And I LOVE that you captured a bee on this sunflower - really shows how massive the flower is, plus the bee is so cute. :smile:

Balrog
I'm with Tara! After looking at all these wonderful photographs I am putting Latvia on my "Places to visit as soon as the world stops ending" list. I love the angles and the colors! Each of your photographs are of simply every day things and places but you have managed to capture something unique and beautiful in each one. Absolutely brilliant work!
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

High Warden of Tower
*continues advertising campaign for Latvia* :grin:

I have been adventuring last weekend, but will have to 'report' in two separate posts... lots of photos, though perhaps slightly repetitive.

This is Saturday's long adventure...

on dirt forest roads

eating lots of berries

resting by a beautiful pond

and over the bridge

I actually missed a turn and ended up someplace unexpected. So I used my orienteering skills to go through a thick forest to the sea and met some swans there.

High Warden of Tower
And Sunday's adventure was a routine run performed on an unusual path. The nature trail was not long, I did 4 laps and only gathered 5 km, oh... but the scenery...
Lots and lots of rocks.

And a rock with lots of various coins - no idea why people have left them in there.

Also some interesting roots by the trail.

And more roots.

Part of the trail consisted of such wooden pathways.

But for the most part it was quite a challenge - more an agility course than a usual everyday run. Roots on the path, so had to watch my step.

And rocks on the path...

Or both rocks and roots underfoot.

By the way, did I mention that you have to watch your step? :lol:

Black Númenórean
Your ad campaign is working! I want to come visit so badly!

Gah I love all the nature shots, and that you took us along for your adventures. It's incredible you were able to just navigate to the sea and these beautiful swans!

I love the rays of light in the final photo you shared - they are such a lovely angle in contrast to the tall trees. I want to venture across that boardwalk and go for a jog with you no matter how many roots and rocks are sticking out of the path. :smile:

Ent Ancient
Hi I love that cat!!! I want to rub my face in her fur and give her tummy rubs. if she would let me. :grin:

I think the sunflower is my favorite photo of the bunch! I'm biased, though, since they're one of my favorite flowers...they just make me feel so happy. The bee adds a bit of less-stationary life to the picture which I really like.

I love all the nature shots. I am such a sucker for nature photography. The forest looks so gorgeous and that pond looks so peaceful. I like the shots of all the paths/boardwalks on your recent run. The path running through lined by the trees makes me wonder what is around the next turn and draws my eye into the photo. Very nicely done! Thanks for sharing these. :smile:

High Warden of Tower
Tara, you are most welcome to come, when/if normal travel is possible. ;)

Lailorn, that cat doesn't know how to play with soft paws - I got scratched!

All righty, the last adventure from a week ago - yet another nature trail, running alongside a river, so you might be just overwhelmed by the river scenery...
But before we set out walking, we visited the deer and fed them some delicious stuff. :)

And then the lovely river with all its bends.

Also some deliciously sweet raspberries and these berries (not edible, but the colour really stood out).

And more river!

Then across this bridge (slightly dilapidated and such).

And at the end of the trail there was this really big rock in the river.

Also quite a few table games to play!

Errrr.... and a very important establishment. :tongue:

Loremaster of the Herd
The color on those berries is spectacular! And I love the game-tables at the end of the trail -- it looks like a nice little place to spend an afternoon tucked away.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

New Soul
@Pele Alarion I was just dropping in to see the randomness and instead get to find a photo thread full of unique and interesting subject matter. You seem to have an eye for capturing details few notice and I enjoyed feeling like I was going out and hiking with you. I always love the views hiking, but hate the process.
she/her

Black Númenórean
Pele! Ahh those deer are just adorable. Their antlers look so fuzzy and soft...

This nature trail is amazing. I most love the angle of the second river shot you posted, with the tree leaning over the water.

I'm curious who maintains the trail/park?! The path itself is great but those tables, the ladder, and the bridges and whatnot seem quite fancy!

High Warden of Tower
Androthelm, that place is definitely nice for relaxation - we had a little picnic and all there. There is also a game where you have to use a 'fishing pole' to hook a wooden fish with a hook - definitely took a long time! :D

Tari, the idea was to post whatever interesting thing comes to mind, but lately it has just been photos which I snap by my phone whenever something looks beautiful. :wink: Those are also random quite often, but...

Tara, the deer didn't let me touch them, but my friend managed to do so and said that antlers are indeed soft. I think some sort of company takes care of the trail, looked at their site and found they also offer guided tours and what not.

And now, a bit of a new content: I've been combining two Wednesday trail running races (one yet to come) with visiting my friend in one of my favourite towns, so here are a few views:
Trust me... there are cars and people in the town. :P Just that it was pretty late, and I did not want to include any people in the pics... Here are just a few various street views:

Ah, and this is the hill where the last race took place - it may look deceptively beautiful, but oh my... running up the steep paths is near impossible.

I also always manage to find trails to explore, even in the towns. Don't even need forests.

From up there the view to the town was very beautiful indeed:

Ah, and forgot this one from the shore of the lake:

Also, I know photographing against the sun might not be the best, but sometimes the photos come out really nice. Here's the attempt:

New Soul
@Pele Alarion lovely lighting in these! I love photos without people, but I seem to be fairly bad at taking them. Also, that green hill looks an awful lot like the Shire. Can we just go and put some hobbit doors in and see what happens?
she/her

Balrog
Oh man do I love this last bunch! The deceptively beautiful hill, as you call it, is my favorite. The shadow across the hill is perfect and the colors are so vibrant! I can actually see them and they blow me away (I’m red/green colorblind for context). That photo alone makes me want to pack a bag right now and figure out how to get over there. I need to climb it and have a picnic on top!
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Black Númenórean
Ooo Pele, that hill looks like it's straight out of the Hobbiton set from the LOTR films! Very impressive that you ran that thing.

I love the last sunset pic but I think my favorite of this bunch is the shot of the village from the top of the hill. The light is lovely and it all looks so peaceful. <3

Khazad Elder
Hi ho Pele! Glad to see you! It's been a few years.😘
Wow your camera 📸 takes great photos!! And you seem to have quite the eye for capturing the right moment. Latvia reminds me very much of old home. Very nice.
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Thain of The Mark
I am so very late wandering into this thread, but I *love* the little slice of life peeks you've managed to give us here! It's always fascinating to see what every day life is like someplace vastly different from where I live, and yet there's so much familiarity as well. I am *insanely* jealous of those gorgeous strawberries in the first post, and I love the photo of the sunflower with the bee. And the picture of the swans on the sea is just magical!

Healer of Imladris
You have been busy, Pele! Look at all those deer! Those board games in the woods are so cool. I love finding quirky things on trails but I've never seen anything quite like that. Wouldn't mind a cup of coffee in one of your cozy lake-side towns either.

Child of Gondor
:headbang: :grin: Love them all Pele!! The greenery and the water...lovely. I like the pics of the town too...just really all of them. LOL I don't think I could pick a favorite. :smooch:
Isolde Alarion/Rohan~Nelladel Alarion/Gondor~Mourgan Alarion/Gondor ~ Dahak/ Umbar ~ Relic RIP

High Warden of Tower
@Tari, Latvians just might be hobbits secretly, what with all the mushroom and berry picking, and such, so wouldn't wonder if hill-homes would fit.

@Frostbite, you could definitely climb that hill and have a picnic. There are even some benches here and there, though no tables. Else, sitting on the grass would do.

@Tarawen, it is definitely a very lovely town, and I always like visiting it.

@drifa, heeeey! It really has been a while! And it is just a phone I'm using, not a proper camera. But often pics turn out quite good anyway.

@Taethowen, but you did wander in eventually!

@Aerlinn, those trails are really fun, and quite a few have interesting stuff along the way.

@Isolde Alarion, aha! You are here!

Now, I have collected quite a few new photos, random or no, will put some up anyhow.
I have caught a few shots from the adventure that was a 24-hour European Rogaining Championships race. Me and my teammate came already on Friday (a day earlier) to do a training lap that was available for participants, and here is the camping place, though the number of tents increased quite a bit once the start time came closer.

And a view at night as well...

Some entertainment at the opening ceremony - folk dancing!

They danced this dance, if you want to see more than a captured moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUQBaJxuYj8

This picture was made by my teammate - but I really liked the flags, so she made me stand with those. :lol: Many teams did not come, but many also did (with all the precautions, tests and what not), and Estonians took many medals...

And this one also by my teammate: we had set out well before sunrise on the second day of the race, so she captured the early morning view, and my back.

Also, totally unrelated to the 24-hour adventure... I cannot stop admiring sunrises that I see from my window!

My town is conveniently located between the lake and the sea, so when I want to view beautiful sunsets, I just have to walk 30 minutes - and voila!

And now a random thing indeed... My old sports watch could no longer last the minimum 6 hours required for a short rogaining, so I ordered a new one + gels for the next adventure, and received a small packet of trail mix as a gift + a handwritten note. I really think it is a very lovely approach to the customers by that company. :headbang:

So... ready for the next adventure! Next Saturday!

Black Númenórean
@Pele Alarion! I've been meaning to get in here and say NICE WORK on the rogaining! I had no idea it was a championship - you are too cool! Your new watch is beautifully shiny, too.

Can hardly blame you for admiring the sunsets from your window - they are gorgeous. Do you have a favorite of the group you shared?

Thain of The Mark
It looks like you had a wonderful time! Those sunrises are gorgeous! I rarely get to see a sunrise anymore, there are too many trees blocking the eastern horizon in my neighborhood. But we have a clear view of the western horizon, and get many stunning sunsets!

Congrats on the new watch!

High Warden of Tower
Tara, another rogaining done, and possibly two more to do. :D The season will soon come to an end, so have to make use of all the available races that we can attend. The watch seems to be nice, though I still have to learn how to make use of the offered data, but at least it seems that the battery can hold for up to 12 hours when using GPS.
Those are sunrises from my window, and I think I like the dark one best - it was still very early. :) I have to walk a bit to get to the sea for sunsets.

Taeth, ah, but sunsets are wonderful too. Don't think I'd get any if my apartment had windows to the west - only houses there.

Healer of Imladris
Ugh, I live in the absolute worst place for all my favorite sports. :lol: I'd never even heard of rogaining until you started talking about it @Pele Alarion! But it looks like so much fun. I haven't done many (any?) organized hikes or trail events but did a lot of backcountry hiking and backpacking. Granted, I have a lot more experience with a GPS than a compass! Someday.

Good luck in your upcoming races!

High Warden of Tower
@Aerlinn rogaining is definitely fun! Though mandatory wet and muddy feet, crossing ditches and marshes (I have a tendency to fall at least into one of these every time), climbing over fallen trees, trying to get through a thick underbrush... all for the sake of finding a control! :grin: Oh, did I mention bruises and scrapes, and sore legs afterwards? Even if you don't have access, you could at least hike and pretend you are in a race as you run through some muddy place...
Here's a couple of recent pics: saw this very beautiful double rainbow, but it was very hard to take a pic from a moving car, and it doesn't do justice to the bright colours, and then the weird angle, but ah well...

Also, 'my' lake from the shore and not from my balcony

And... can't get enough of those sunrises!

Thain of The Mark
I saw a double rainbow by my house earlier this summer too! The second rainbow was very faint, though, and didn't pick up well on camera. Your picture, despite being from a car, turned out so well!

I am envious of your lakeshore! And that sunrise is so lovely!

Black Númenórean
Would love to see some sunsets, if you ever do get to walking down by the water at that hour!

As for this latest bunch, that's amazingly crisp shot of the double rainbow for being taken from a moving vehicle! The picture of the lake looks like it is a scene from the Shire. And the warm light in the last one is so peaceful. I would love to meditate and open my eyes to that view! <3

High Warden of Tower
@Taethowen Rainbows are very lovely! I've been away much of the time this summer, but usually I get lovely views of it over the lake.

@Zôrzimril Who knows... I might unwittingly be living in the Shire, what with the obsession the Latvians have over mushrooms. There was this ad on the back of a bus saying: "Well, how do you convince your foreign friends in autumn that all the silent people with knives in the forest are not maniacs?"

And here's a few pics. An approaching sunset one especially for you, Tara.

Also proof that what I said about mushrooms is true. I was in the middle of an orienteering race, and not far from the control I saw this bunch of lovely mushrooms. Of course, I had to pick them! Even though it took precious minutes and I got a bit disoriented and had trouble finding the nearby control.

A couple of tree shots late in the evening while out for a walk with a friend.

Khazad Elder
Nice photos Pele. Beautiful sunsets, beautiful sky: clouds and rainbows, trees and lakes. Oh and I love mushrooms. It is the time of year to get some good photos of them. Latvia, like I said before, reminds me of my old home. Thank you for sharing your photos. *hugs*
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Healer of Imladris
"Well, how do you convince your foreign friends in autumn that all the silent people with knives in the forest are not maniacs?"
AMAZING. :lol: It reminds me a bit of when the state of Nebraska ran a tourism campaign that went something like: "Nebraska. Honestly, it's not for everyone." I love mushrooms, both the look of them and eating them, but I've never been confident enough in what's what to go pick and eat them myself.

I've never really thought of Latvia as an ocean side place, though intellectually I know where it is on a map. Your photos are changing that!

Thain of The Mark
Oooh, mushrooms! I'm in a local foraging group on Facebook and I was amazed to learn of the amount of edible mushroom varieties that we have in Oklahoma, though I personally have no place to source any of them since I don't have access to acres and acres of land/trees, and around here people carefully guard their mushroom foraging spots.

The tree pics are lovely too, and that (soon to be) sunset over the water is so serene!

Black Númenórean
Pele! I am honored to see a sunset pic especially for me! I can hear the waves lapping the shore and feel a breeze off the sea as I look at this. Such lovely, lovely light that you have captured, too. That bus ad about mushrooms is AMAZING, as is your haul from the forest! The trees certainly look like they could be in the Shire. Thank you for continuing to share these delightful snippets of Latvia with us!

High Warden of Tower
I have not taken that many photos lately, maybe nothing in particular caught my eye - or I did not have my phone with me. Only two more sunrise pictures to share - the red and hazy scene was very interesting, and only later I learned that the haze was smoke and dust coming all the way from forest fires and dust storms in Russia/Ukraine.

Thain of The Mark
We've had a lot of those hazy sunsets here in Oklahoma lately, from the wildfires on the West Coast! Though we sometimes get them from wildfires nearby too, but fortunately we've not had a ton of those this year, and they're usually nothing like what happens out west.

I often hit that lull, too. Where I take a lot of pictures for a while, and then nothing (or very few things) for weeks at a time.

High Lord of Imladris
Okay these are some absolutely beautiful shots and I know you were enticing Tara but DARN do I wanna visit Latvia (and try Rogaining now - I had to look it up to see what it even was) some awesome photos and stuff and love a lot of the shots from it!

High Warden of Tower
@Taethowen Eh, there is that, and then there's a dry spell in posting at all.

@Fuin Elda Well, come visit (maybe wait for Covid to subside first though :))! Rogaining is a lot of fun; we recently did a 3-hour training in the dark - very difficult when you can't see the lay of the land. If I were alone I might even get lost. lol

Also I have gathered a few more pics finally.

Of course... can never get enough of those sunrises:

Even managed to get a shot at the moon:

Latvia is very beautiful and colourful in autumn:

Was using the opportunity of relatively mild restrictions (meetup of ten people from two households permitted) to visit my friend and somehow this view from her window seemed fascinating:

And this too: somehow the bright colours of flowers against the background of the old barn looked very interesting.

And... she has this lovely cat. Named 'Pele' and sometimes called 'Pelepele'... The fact is even more funny because my friend has no clue about my plaza username, so totally unrelated. This is what I get for choosing a nickname that means "Mouse" and can be used very widely. Besides, now that I am home, I miss this kitty.

Thain of The Mark
Oooh, that moon shot is lovely! I really want to invest in a camera with a telephoto lens... just to get decent pictures of the moon.

I really just love all your photos. There's always an air of... myth about them, almost. It's like peeking into another world. That very first picture of the tree-lined road is just breathtaking though. Such lovely fall leaves!

Khazad Elder
Great sunsets and sunrises and Autumn photos. Your home reminds me so much of where I grew up. The landscape is very similar. I always feel at home when I look at your photos 🙂.

The old cottage and flowers in front of the old barn are lovely. It reminds me of a witch's abode. A good witch! 😃

Thanks for sharing, Pele!

Healer of Imladris
KITTY CAT. Or are you the cat?? *g* I didn't know that Pele meant 'mouse'. It's a name for cats and Gondorians! My sister had a cat many years ago who was named "Nezumi," which is mouse in Japanese.

I love the moon and the autumn leaves, but ESPECIALLY the flowers against the old barn. I keep scrolling back up to look at it, it's the sort of photo to inspire stories.

High Warden of Tower
@Taethowen I suppose phone is not the best to try and capture moon, but at least this time it worked - usually I only got a tiny bright spot on a black background. :D

@Drifa I'm glad to provide a home feeling! Those old buildings are very interesting, but the bigger residential building itself is rather boring, so I haven't taken any photos of it.

@MEOW Cats are so lovely! Can't have one of my own though as I tend to travel around. Those flowers were just so bright! Especially considering the season and everything else gaining grey and brown colours.

No new nature pics this time though... But I finally finished a knitting project I worked on for 2 years. It was meant to be a sweater, but I ran out of yarn, so a vest it is.

High Lord of Imladris
@Pele Alarion DON"T TEMPT me FRODO. Honestly post covid (I legit just did some math and if the financing comes through) I will likely have enough money to travel and I very well may.

Honestly a lot of your photos really remind me of where I live, we don't have too many stone building here so those are sort of few and far between (I know of a few in all of Manitoba) but farm houses tend to be wooden so they break down way faster than old stone houses) The gravel road honestly looks like it could be down the road from me so It's fantastic...

The barn with the flowers reminds me of several older puzzles that my grandmother use to have very similar sort of flavour I always though they were beauitful.