Ballads of the White-mane

Original writings and artwork by Tolkien fans.
Loremaster of the Herd
Hey y'all
This is essentially just a placeholder thread, since I have a lot of goals / ideas / arcs I want to do with several characters, some of whom I posted as many as twice(!? I know, crazy) on the old Plaza and some of which are totally new since I went inactive and it went down. Still, I figure it would be nice to have one solid place on-Plaza where I can sort of link everything together and make myself a nice Table of Contents for figuring out "themes" and "arcs" and "character growth" and all that jazz. Probably this will just be a list of meaningless notes, until I actually get around to writing / posting some of this stuff.
Also, yeah, I know that games don't always make for great RP / storytelling, but I enjoy making them fit. It's a fun character puzzle.

Without further ado...
Androthelm Whitemane
My mess of an original OC, a Rohirric knight whose name popped out of the LoTRO Name Generator sometime around 2010. He's grown, since then, into a bit of a Don Quixote.

Androthelm was raised in the Mark, in the north, on the very eaves of the Entwood. Farming life, he quickly decided, was not for him -- and so he left behind kith and kin to travel the world. Traveling the world quickly turned out to be fairly similar to farming -- the oxen pulling caravans are, it turns out, essentially the same as the oxen which pull ploughs.

Eventually he wound up in Dale-town, where, among other things, he met the Brothers Goldhorn, carvers of gem and shaper of gold. It was through his friendship with these that Androthelm wound his way west, over the high pass and into Eriador. There he saw wonders -- Dwarf-holds and Hobbit-holes and Man-towns and Elf-vales, and it was much later in life (and after many an adventure) before he returned East to live, for a little while, in Dale again.

Back in Dale and feeling the creak of his bones, Androthelm wondered if he had made a mistake in leaving Rohan all those years ago. He became a half-decent bard.

After more adventures -- these in Rhun and the wild east -- Androthelm turned westward again, dreaming of fair Rivendell.

It was on the westward road again, passing through Mirkwood, that Androthelm was given the name Whitemane. It was true -- after many years with the Brothers Goldhorn he had even begun to style his long white beard like a dwarf, though the taste for adventure never left him.
Returning west and dwelling, for a while, in Rivendell, Androthelm had a jolly old time. He hunted, and he listened to poetry, and he composed poetry, and he got horribly, awfully lost.. He also, however, met an elf-lass, and struck up a friendship as they wandered in the mazelike woods.

In the Maze (with Fuin Elda[]
- Fuin I and II
- Androthelm II
- Fuin III and IV
- Androthelm III
- Fuin V
- Androthelm IV and V
- Fuin VI, VII, and VIII

Someday, Androthelm will adventure again.

Adunien
After years and years of being jealous of everybody else, I've finally decided to make my own first-age Noldo. Enter Adunien, an elleth who lingers at a nearly-empty keep high in the Ered Luin, working at her forge.
- I premiered her at the Lindon Masquerade, as The Forge-Fire Flickering, with a gorgeous red dress and jewelry she made herself.

Shasta
I made this guy up to have a character for the Umbar Bloody Barges thing, he's probably going to die in Carn Dum's murderfest, but he's evil Odysseus and I want to do something with him
- Leaving Umbar
- Getting Very Very Lost
- Forochel???
- Angmar
- Sailing Home
- Almost Making it But then Bloody Barges Happened, Honestly I think Bloody Barges is essentially the same thing as the Odyssey, yeah?
- Just like I said, Shasta was the very first one to die in the Carn Dum murdergame. Only, he doesn't get to die yet.

Angcair
An old, old, old Teleri, long in the service of Cirdan. Angcair is now a Lore-master of Lindon and a master shipwright, as well as an incredibly angsty boy who mourns the loss of the world before the Noldor returned.
- At some point prior to the Lindon Masquerade, Angcair was swept northward by storms and survived a winter in the Bay of Forochel. There he met and survived alongside Shasta, a corsair of Umbar.
- Angcair attended the Lindon Masquerade, dressed as a starlit night and calling himself The Moon His Ill Reminder.

Abelard Brandybuck
A young hobbit, soon to come of age, who has moved westward into that exotic land of Hobbiton mostly to get away from his overbearing family. A touch foolish, a touch bookish. A bachelor. "Not a self insert!" I say, blindly plunging into grad school so as to do something with my twenties.
- Abelard tries to make some friends and mostly eats, a story about parties.

Quagomar
Sad ent. Sad ent with bird friends.
- Quagomar is struggling to keep his his unique herd alive.
- Quagomar dwells, with his birds and his motley trees, among the Treegarth of Orthanc
Last edited by Androthelm on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 12 times in total.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Black Númenórean
Oh this is wonderful Andro! I have a similar thread (Tavari Tales) and have found it very helpful and fun, both for cataloguing past stuff and recording new material, as well as generally keeping everything organized and sorting out timelines/arcs! Looking forward to seeing this thread progress as your characters develop, and of course, reading along with their journeys :grin:
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Loremaster of the Herd
Thank you @Moriel! Your thread absolutely helped to inspire this (not to mention the quantity and quality you put out). I've been meaning to send Shasta to Angmar as long as he / the Angmar thread have existed. It'll happen one of these days...

Black Númenórean
Aww yay! I'm so glad TT helped inspire and I'm sure you will do splendidly :grin: As for Shasta, do it! Do it!! The more the merrier in Angmar! And of course let me know if you have any questions about Angmar or would like to plot :whip:
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Loremaster of the Herd
@Moriel I will absolutely shoot you a discord PM about Angmar stuff once school is a little less hectic and I feel like I've got some more solid writing time.

Black Númenórean
I am here simply to toss more encouragement onto this awesome thread and to cheer for the continued development and adventures of all your characters. (Also I LOVE the character summaries you included :lol: )
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Loremaster of the Herd
Ok, ok... I have not been great at keeping this thread up, or even at writing in-character stuff at all. This most recent semester hit me real hard. That being said, I'm dipping my foot back in and want to get back into some of the stories I had planned for this bunch. So, for today, I've reorganized and expanded the section on Androthelm himself -- might require a post of his own in this thread as I go, but for now that should do, at least as a record of where he's been on-Plaza.

We'll see where things go from here. Anybody want to help a tired old Don Quixote find his way home? :wink:

Balrog
Huzzah for expanding character catalogues! Hopefully we can write up enough interesting things that Snagraz gets a place in the list as well. If you wound have me, I would be honored to be a Sancho Panza to your Don Quixote (or even a Dulcinea if need be)
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Loremaster of the Herd
Ooooh @The King in Yellow lets talk more sometime;) And, yes, adding Snagraz to this list is a priority -- once I've got it better organized generally!

Balrog
Happy to be of service! :grin: (or should the emoji be :mwahaha: ) hit me up on Discord whenever you're available and we can plot and plan away
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh