ARPYS 2022 - OOC

"Going to Mordor!" Cried Pippin. "I hope it won’t come to that!"
High Lord of Imladris

A strange being in a trench coat hobbles out and sticks a sign in the ground. The sticking part of the sign in the ground is not the being's best work as can be heard by the chittering argument about how well or well not well the sign sticks in the dusty black soil. Soon enough a fight breaks out and the trench coat collapses into three raccoons fighting about where the sign was put and how well was it put. Was it even put at all? So many questions! Many diversions in this intro!

Welcome one and all once again to the ARPYS! At this point, we will be taking nominations to be voted upon for the 2022 ARPYS that are going to be held in Mordor! First things first, the categories. We have THREE new categories this year on top of the originals we had last year.

Categories

Best Lore Post:
For those that will not be confuted with stubble and would try to honour not confuting others with it either.

Best Original Art:
For those that decorate the plaza with creations of their own hands.

Best Original Poem:
For those whose inner bard has come out.

*NEW* Best Story:
For Solo RPs and other stories told by one person

Best OP:
Opening posts that grab your attention and make you want to take part.

Best Comedic Post:
Posts that put your keyboard monitor and other electronic devices in danger if you're drinking liquids. {Please don't drink and type, it's a dangerous and costly business!}

Best Dramatic Post:
Posts that make you angry, or sad or relieved... AKA right in the FEELS

Best Canon Character:
Members play canon characters regularly, who makes you truly believe they are that character?

*NEW* Best Villian:
Sometimes you just have to root for the bad guy, can be original creation or canon. Not sure if they're a villain? Oh, you need a definition of a villain! Do you think they are a villain? They're a villain. Problem solved.

Best Character:
Good or Bad, original or Canon, makes no difference here as long as it's someone you are dying to see post again as that character.

Best GM:
Who has caught your attention and managed to keep it? Perhaps they've seen a majority of their threads to completion?

Best RPer:
Who gets their posts in and you just want to read what they have written? Doesn't matter who or what or where they are playing.

Best Small Collab:
For RPGs that have 2-3 players must have finished by Dec 31st 2021 (may have started before 2021)

*NEW* Best Loose RPG:
For RPGs that are too large for small Collab but don't have a thread of their own, or players have come and gone but have still finished. Must have finished by Dec 31st 2021 (may have started before 2021)

Best Game:
For the RPG based games where fun and creativity ensues in a true game format. Must have finished by Dec 31st 2021 (may have started before 2021)

Best RPG:
The best of any RPG that has been played and finished during or before December 31st 2021. (May have started before 2021)

The rules for nominations are as follows:

1. ARPY nominations should feature posts, characters or RPing that has been done in the preceding year.
2. The exceptions for this, are when an RPG spans multiple years - Posts from these RPGs are welcome to Character or Post related nominations when they are incomplete. Upon completion, the RPG as a whole become eligible for RPG level awards.
3. Nominations require your username and relevant information regarding the award you are attempting to nominate for be sent to plazaarpys(at)gmail(dot)com.

Example of Nominations

User Name: Fuin Elda
ARPY Category: Best Dramatic Post
User: User 123
Link: (this can be found by clicking the Time and Date stamp on the post in question)

or

ARPY Category: Best RPer
User: User 123
Link: (this can be found by clicking the Time and Date stamp on the post in question) *you can use ANY link inside the year time frame for this*

or

ARPY Category: Best RPG
Thread: Super Cool RPG
Link: (link to the OP is best - or use a timestamp link to the first post of an RP that takes place in a Free RP thread)

4. Please be aware that IF the link you provide is outside of the timeline allowed or if the RPG is not completed your nomination will be moved to either next year awards if it can be.
5. You may nominate multiple threads or people for the same category and are welcome to nominate yourself.

Nessa Sil and I look forward to getting your nominations and if you have any questions please feel free to ask here or email us! AND please remember that some threads only exist now in the Archives due to the blip. So if you swore you saw a great thread or a great post and it was missing don't forget to check the archive.

NOMINATIONS END FEBRUARY 14th 2022
Please get your nominations to in plazaarpys(at)gmail(dot)com or you will be forced to listen to me sing.
Nobody wants that I doesn't even want that.

The ARPYS ARCHIVE with the rules and previous winners and information can be found Here
Last edited by Fuin Elda on Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Soul
Note: I am not eligible as nominee or vote. Success with it though. :winkkiss:
Just call me Aiks or Aikári. Notify is off.
Find me stuff in Gondolin.
And let us embark to Valinor!

New Soul
Toss a nomination to your Triumvirate, oh people of Plaza! Toss a nomination for your RP-ers, o fine folk of Plaza!

Yes, Nessa, that's all fine and lovely but 1) please stop "singing" and 2) there are so many posts on the Plaza, I'm overwhelmed!

Fear not, Young Grasshopper, I got you! :winkkiss: Below you'll find a list of useful threads where members themselves selected what they thought were amazing/beautiful/exceptional/emotional/humorous/haunting/lyrical/etc. posts throughout the many months of posting on the Plaza. So let get this show on the road. :grin:

• Hezār Afsān and ibid., archive - Confession time: I use this thread to stash good posts for ARPYs, but the thread still might help you

The next few links are a bit of an unusual choice, but @Winddancer short story competitions are a fountain of creative excellence and you should definitely check them out!

I'll take the liberty to post links to members' personal archive threads in the CoLP section of the Plaza. Those threads are not only a great repository of superb writing by various members of the Plaza and you should check them out regularly :winkkiss: but also they make a great tool for ARPY post hunting and nomination. :grin:

• Before and After - @Ercassie archive of beautiful elven stores. Or is it stories about elves? There are elves in there and they're beautifully tragic as elves have a tendency to be :tongue:
  • Weaving in the Gloom and ibid, archive @Fuin Elda archive. Yes, this creative hurricane of a poster is eligible for nominations. She won't bite you if you nominate her. :tongue: The Goose won't even honk at you :tongue:
  • Tavari Tales: Redux - @Moriel archive. IMO the Queen of all the feels stories and of tables too.

I think I got all the links from my list, but if I missed someone or something please feel free to post it here so we can help each other out find amazing/beautiful/exceptional/emotional/humorous/haunting/lyrical/etc. posts, show them some love and nominate them for an ARPY! Good hunting and may the odds be ever in your favour!

Toss a nomination to your Triumvirate, oh people of Plaza! Toss a nomination for your RP-ers, o fine folk of Plaza
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Balrog
Quick question/potential reminder:

Does the material from the NuPlaza Archives (the stuff lost in the Blip) that hasn't been reposted count toward nominatable posts?

For example there is a lot of stuff in CoLP that was sadly lost and through some set of circumstances, there was a delightfully strange episode in the Upset Hammer (aka Ainur behaving badly) that wasn't brought back, and countless examples of Lore and Media Adaptation discussions. Not to mention last year's ARPYs themselves (in an ironic twist).

I assume they are part of the field, but just wanted to confirm whether or not that was true.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

High Lord of Imladris
@Al-Masih ad-Dajjal Absolutely! The stuff lost in the bleep that has not been reposted is absolutely is welcome to be nominated for the ARPYS and I will be absolutely thrilled to see the episode from the Upset Hammer in there as some nominations.

Newborn of Imladris
@Nessa Saelind said:

@Saranna writes what @Falaneth would call "slices of canon" and her poetry is beautiful. So do check out her work!

I am overwhelmed and delighted by this kindly comment :)
Remembering halfir by learning something new each day

New Soul
*a gentle bump*

Hello everyone! I'm just bumping up this thread as a reminder that you have a fortnight to send in your ARPY nominations. So if you haven't sent them you still have plenty of time. And if you did send them, thank you. :rainbowheart:

BTW if you sent your nominations but remembered or found more posts that you want to nominate you can always send an addendum nomination e-mail. As long as you send it by February 14th, our deadline, it's OK.

Lots of love :rainbowheart:
She/her.

High Warden of Tower
Sent a wee something, maybe will more later.... :D

Ent Ancient
Sent mine a bit ago..checking it was received?

Master Torturer
Asking for a friend, but has any rpg finished? Like has someone actually managed that?? I know of several that were awesome, but I know of zero that have actually finished..

Chief Counsellor of Gondor
I think that the Lindon Masquerade Ball was the only rpg I've noticed so far to actually come to a proper planned conclusion, @Winddancer. :wink:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not touched by the frost.

New Soul
Hi everyone

Apologies it took me a while to respond, was sorting some health issues out.

@Pele Alarion @Tuilindo - your e-mails were received and your nominations are waiting to be processed (aka sorted neatly out in an Excel sheet :grin: )

Re the finished RPGs: @Winddancer as far as my memory serves me I believe that @Ercassie is right that the Masquerade ball is the only "proper" RPG that had a planned out conclusion and ended. :nod:

However, games are also included in the Best RPG category and several of those are concluded/ended and are eligible for nomination. :nod: Also if you think an RPG has reached a logical (heck or even illogical :lol: ) conclusion you can certainly send the link to that RPG as a nomination for Best RPG. Sil, Fuin and I will discuss all the nominations among ourselves and if there's anything that is borderline we will certainly talk about it and make a decision after. All of this just to say: if you think something is a good fit for a category but you're not sure about something send it in. The worse that can happen is that we talk about a nomination and decide that by a joint decision it wasn't a good fit and gets put in the nomination pot for next year :nod:
She/her.

Ent Ancient
Thanks! No rush just wanted to be sure my list was received. :smile:

Best RPG? The Word Sleuth Athelas RP finished.

I wouldn't mind seeing the "finished by" stipulation loosened for Small RP (edit or Loose RPG as well) at least. Mainly because I don't remember that being in place last year and it's sometimes ambiguous whether a small RP has concluded or not.

High Lord of Imladris
Tuilindo wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:02 pm
I wouldn't mind seeing the "finished by" stipulation loosened for Small RP (edit or Loose RPG as well) at least. Mainly because I don't remember that being in place last year and it's sometimes ambiguous whether a small RP has concluded or not.
I can say that it was most certainly in place last year as well and there were several RPs that did finish last year (And I know of at least one that finishe in 2021 as well) and there were a few that finished a few days after jan 1st cut off last year as the RPs don't need to start in the same year they finish. There may even already be a few that are in the list that were suggested last year but they were post cut off for finishing.
Sereg a Dîn

Balrog
Agree with @Tuilindo here. The "finished by" stipulation needs to be relaxed in terms of RPG and Loose RPG because there were only a few recognizable RPGs that reached an actual conclusion within the time limit and, as she said it's often very ambiguous as to whether some of the smaller or two person RPs actually finished or just got put on hold. It's not fair to them for consideration to pass them over just because of some arbitrary rule.
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

New Soul
I went hunting in the NuPlaza archives for the ARPY OOC thread. Concerning the issue of an RP ending, in the guide that we wrote last year, we stated

Works that are considered for the nominations are the ones written by the 31st December 2020. (emphasis my own)

However, the only place where we mention something needed to end by December 31st of the year was the Best RPG category.
RPG you are nominating for this category has to be an RPG that finished by December 31st 2020.

We didn't have this requirement for Best Small Collaboration or Best Game or any other category last year. I don't think that adding "Must have finished by Dec 31st 2021" to categories other than Best RPG is needed since that's not what we had last year and additionally it adds a needless complication to the nomination process both to us and our voters. So I am in favour of removing that phrase from all categories except Best RPG.
She/her.

Ent Ancient
:thumbs:

New Soul
An "aggressive" reminder :lol:

Just kidding, just a normal regular neutral reminder that tomorrow is the 14th, also known as Valentine's day and in ARPY context the last day to submit your nominations! Show some love to your fellow Plaza members and nominate them for something. Nothing says I love you and your writing better than an ARPY nomination. :grin: We close shop on February 14th at 23:59 GMT so send those e-mails so I can neatly excel them. :tongue:
She/her.

High Lord of Imladris
Hi everyone! So we are just finishing up the compilation of the nominations we received, the ones that we tucked away from last years nominations that were more appropriate for this year (Aka they were posts from January 2021 :lol:) and will be starting to get all of the voting surveys set up!

In the mean time we are going to be streamlining this years voting process (we hope)by creating Rounds as follows which will be all posted together on the same day to keep the Arpys from stretching on.
Dates for when Voting Opens:

March 4th voting opens for Round 1: Best Game and Best RPG

March 9th voting opens for Round 2: Best Story, Best Collaboration and Best Loose RPG

March 14th voting opens for Round 3: Best GM and Best RP-er

March 19th voting opens for Round 4: Best Canon Character, Best Villain and Best Character

March 24th voting opens for Round 5: Best OP, Best Comedic Post and Best Drama

March 30th voting opens for Round 6 : Best Lore, Original Art and Poem
Each category will be given it's own post in the thread as well as it's own voting link, these links WILL remain open for all categories until voting closes meaning you should have lots of time to read and take your time on voting for all the different categories as voting WILL not close when the new round opens up.
Our TENTATIVE closing date for voting is April 10th 2022. Of course if something should occur and more time is needed we are willing to be flexible with this.

If you have any questions, comments or concern you can reach us here or on Discord or via the ARPY e-mail.

Balrog
Went to vote for Best Poem and was greeted by this instead:

High Lord of Imladris
Frost wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:45 pm Went to vote for Best Poem and was greeted by this instead:

Not sure where that link came from it's not the right link though! I will post this one in the thread in the OP but for now you can use it here while I'm going and updating the OP with all the links!
Best Poem poll
https://forms.gle/iPgMCTBVgs8pQoFf6
Sereg a Dîn

Balrog
much obliged, ma'am

Arien
Arien
Thanks @Frost and @Fuin Elda - I have messed about with the links a bit and shamelessly edited @Nessa Saelind’s post and I think I’ve fixed it.
cave anserem

Balrog
:smooch:

Arien
Arien
@Fuin Elda your trophies are absolutely LIT, if you know what I mean… Amazing work!
cave anserem

High Lord of Imladris
Ohh those aren't the trophies I still have those tucked away I'll be putting links in our spreadsheet for them later tonight
Sereg a Dîn

New Soul
What must this Arpy stuff be? I don't get it to what this ceremony is really referring to. We haven't nominated, chosen or voted about anything? Or is this about something earlier done with voting (in 2020) and now come closing ceremony is following? :confused: It is pretty unclear to me now.

Master Torturer
@Aikári Salmarinian Its like the Oscars, for Plaza posts. It was held back in March and you could vote on last years posts. See more here: viewtopic.php?t=922

High Lord of Imladris
Aikári Salmarinian wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:31 pm What must this Arpy stuff be? I don't get it to what this ceremony is really referring to. We haven't nominated, chosen or voted about anything? Or is this about something earlier done with voting (in 2020) and now come closing ceremony is following? :confused: It is pretty unclear to me now.
Well that's not true. You literally posted in this thread that you didn't want to take part back when we first started this year's Arpys in terms of getting nominations.
Sereg a Dîn

New Soul
Fuin: Aye yes, my thoughts have not changed about that. But so much happened since early this year, I forgot complete about it. Hence I just asked.

Winddancer: Thanks! :smooch:

Balrog
Aik: While I understand your position, I do think you would be very welcomed to do some free writing and interaction.

New Soul
Frost: How then? With who? Any ideas?

Balrog
Well, I'm still considering a few ideas myself, but I'm rather certain Frost himself will show up and perhaps an orc or two, perhaps you could bring an orc or two of your own creation and they can interact?

New Soul
Frost: Could be done. The murderous type? Or more intelligent and independent? I have Utchuk in that regard, in human disguise sometimes. He comes from a tribe in the depths of the north, beyond the lands of the cold dragons.

Balrog
As the saying goes, why not both? I'm happy to interact with either honestly. I'll let it be your choice when it comes down to it. Sound like a plan?

Arien
Arien
All are welcome to RP as guests whether or not you participated in the voting or were nominated, so would be delighted to see you all there!
cave anserem

New Soul
Frost: Yes, that sounds like plan. I'll give a try tomorrow to write a post for Utchuk. He is probably the most logical character, even he won't be liking going there at all. He is from a free tribe in the uttermost north. You're using Frost himself? That is cool. :thumbs:

New Soul
Frost: Sorry I haven't posted yet. I have been absorbed kinda in the funeral of Queen Elisabeth this last week, till today. Now it is all over, I'll see if I can come up with something for the Arpy thread. With Utchuk. Okay?

Balrog
No worries! :grin: I'm in no hurry and things aren't moving too fast so take all the time you need

Balrog
I have a curious request for anyone participating: are there any RPers out there willing to be eaten by a spider?

Arien
Arien
Bubösha wouldn’t mind being poisoned and wrapped up by a spider for laters, but, I will probably need her for administrative tasks later on so a full consumption might need to be reserved for her sadder, drunker and less useful coursing Glugosha
cave anserem

Balrog
a drunk goblin is like an ortolan bunting to a spider

New Soul
Frost: I responded yesterday with Utchuk. Up to you what you like to do. What kind of interaction you want.

Balrog
I shall read and respond soon! I've been away at an out of town wedding but I will get back in the swing of things shortly

Arien
Arien
Apologies for the delay! We were slightly distracted by Samhain :lol:
cave anserem

New Soul
Frost: Sure, I hope it was a beautiful wedding you went to and the couple were very happy. I'll wait for your response. :winkkiss:

Balrog
Aik: apologies for the long wait, after the wedding I've had several life altering events one after another and I'm still a bit off kilter. I will try and get to writing again soon, thanks for your patience

Ent Ancient
Not sure I will have a chance to pop by the ceremony IC but I wanted to say thank you very much to those who voted for @Amadhrill and myself. And a biggest thanks to Amadhrill for her beautiful and sensitive storytelling.
thanks also to the Triumvirate for organizing the nominations, voting, and celebrations! and congratulations to all the nominees and winners! you are all spectacular and I appreciate each one of you! :heart:

Black Númenórean
I intended to make it to the IC celebration but life conspired- thank you to all who voted for me for Dramatic, and congrats to all the other nominees and winners! You are wondrous :grin:

And of course, thanks to the Triumvirate for all your work in making the ARPYs happen :smooch:
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

Balrog
Congrats and thanks to all and sundry.