Newbies & Introductions

Yeah I get it, this is where everyone will actually post.
High Lord of Imladris
@Amalric We even had Beebs on here for a day. Welcome back lol

ALSO QUESTIOn since Narv is Canadian does that make NuPlaza a Canadian Institute? lol

New Soul
Good to see you back, Ammy! I was Aigronding Mordagnir, Edan Amrun, and Beren Camlost back in the day. Good to see you back here, mate! Lothlórien, Rivendell, Lindon, and Mirkwood activities can be found in the Imladris Forum; it's the center of all elven activities for the time being.
"Eriol... 'One who dreams alone.' ” - Tolkien, The Book of Lost Tales I

Storyteller
Welcome back, @Amalric! I still find it funny that I went over a year reading your name was Almaric. 😅

Arien
Arien
@Amalric we were never actually married, you were just my kept elf :lol: your actual wife, our beloved Roh, has not yet found her way back.

Also, welcome back and get on our Discord!
cave anserem

Arien
Arien
Hey @Narya! What’s the SWG server? Also, I love Scottish accountants.
cave anserem

Black Númenórean
Welcome back, @Amalric!
she/her | Esta tierra no es mía, soy de la nocheósfera.

Master Torturer
Hi @Narya, welcome to the Plaza! I was in the SWG Discord for a bit (assuming you mean the Silmarillion Writers Guild); I've spent much less time in the fanfic side of Tolkien fandom than the forum side, but I've been really impressed by a lot of great Lore discussions and work being done by people in that community who I've met on tumblr and at the New York Tolkien Conference. I'm tickled to hear the Plaza got mentioned there. :smile:

And of course, welcome back, @Amalric!
Loremistress Emerita | she/her

Ent Ancient
Welcome @Narya! Let us know if you have any questions as you explore. I'm so glad you found us!

Welcome back @Amalric - good to see you again! This place was dead and buried last time I tried to look, too, pretty excited its been reborn!

Khazad Elder
Hi Amalric! Good to see you!

Welcome to the Plaza, Narya!
The world was fair in Durin's Day

Scout of Lothlorien
Yes, first things first. Two surefire signs of the coming Apocalypse:-

1. The Plaza is back;
2. Narv is in charge.

NARV?!???!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!? YE GODS.What is he now, 20? Seemed like he was just a little misbegotten embryo back then. Maybe he still is.

Dim, Moriel - thanks! I remember you both.
Fuin - Dark hair, pale skin I recall from photos aeons ago. Its good to see you again, and damn I wish I'd seen Beebs, always wondered how her and Hoth were doing (and Brandy, and about a thousand others).
Aig! The elf of a thousand tales (and characters)! How is the writing going?
Dwim - You were far from alone. To paraphrase Paul Simon, "You CAN'T call me Al!"
Wench - I thought I was meant to be the senile one? I was indeed your Kept Elf (I might have that sig somewhere still), but...Tulkas & Nessa? Do those times mean NOTHING TO YOU?!? *sniff*

Anyway, Roh was 'only' minion wife #3 (after Nyx and Akilah), and I married an elf (AN ELF! OF ALL THINGS!) after that (Lorry). And three of my friends are Scottish accountants, I'd find another fascination.

Zorz, Eldy (the Dunami clan is still going, joy :moon: ), Lailers - thanks!

Drifa! I think the first Dwarf I ever met way back in times of yore, good to see you again.

Kinda weird being a New Soul again, never really cared for it (unlike some). Where do I go to get my gazillion points back? I don't even remember how many it was, oh well.

Master Torturer
You dont need points to chose a rank, just chose one ;) To your left, up :P

Chef
Amalric wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:14 am Maybe he still is.
correct
Amalric wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:14 am Where do I go to get my gazillion points back?
we have knowledge halls, sort of, those ought to get you in the ballpark surely. How many points did you have, like 80?

Scout of Lothlorien
Oh, I know I don't need points to choose, and I (really) wasn't looking to get anything for free. Way back in the day I think the top three points hogs scorers were Windy, Torni and myself, so it was at least 30k when I left, and probably higher. We collected points like Smaug collected coins.

Master Torturer
Nope, not me :) I only got to like 17k. I "hogged" posts, had about 47k! :P

Scout of Lothlorien
Oh yes, that's right. You need to pick up the pace!

Master Torturer
Too old for that shire now :P

Arien
Arien
@Amalric OH YEAH we had like a whole wedding ceremony and everything didn’t we? Soz, I’m not really the anniversary-remembering kind
cave anserem

High Lord of Imladris
@Amalric haha yes I maintain my pasty skin by not being able to tan. Hair isn't dark atm. It's real and light blue... Next will probably be red or orange or some sort.

Last heard from Beebs was the were doing good they got missed by the fires in about a 20 mile strip but haven't heard from them since the major rainfall. But now that the cheeto and chief is out post corona I do have an invite to visit so may take them up on that. Hoth shave his beard.its discombobulating.

Snaga
I was on this forum a long time ago, probably back when I was in middle school, around the time The Two Towers movie came out. I'm really glad everything is still up and running. I have a question, though. How does roleplaying work here? If I pick a kingdom am I restricted to playing a character that fits in that kingdom? I love play by post roleplaying, but I don't want to dive right in and look like a doofus.

High Lord of Imladris
Not necessarily. We allow a fair bit of creativity but there are threads with specific character rules but kingdoms don't tend to have hard fast rules.

Master Torturer
Welcome Xenophon! Was that your name back then too?

Here is a RP guideline: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=511
Hard to say how to RP, but always read the top posts. Generally people usually rp a character that would fit in the thread you are wanting to post in. Say you go to Gondor and post in the Marketplace, well then it's most likely you are a human of some kind or maybe even an elf.

Also worth seeing what age the Kingdom is in, like Mordor is before the destruction of the ring, but Gondor is about 5 or so years after the War of the ring.

You do not have to join the kingdom to post in it :)

Snaga
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I really don't remember what my name was back then. I just remember how cool this community was. :)

Master Torturer
No worries! Feel free to ask away and if you have discord, then join us there! https://discord.gg/7CqhkKuA

Orc Chieftain
Welcome, Xenophon! Basically, the way you roleplay is your character has to fit in with the kingdom your roleplaying in. For example, I wouldn't roleplay Naelia in Imladris, since she's a minion (and despises Elves, even though she's part Elven, but often shuns this part of her heritage. Luckily, the only part that looks Elven is the points of her ears, which she can hide under her shoulder length curly black hair). But if she were to participate in some type of raid on the kingdom (if it's set in the same time frame as Mordor, that is), then it's perfectly fine to play her in Imladris, otherwise I'd have to create a new character to play within that kingdom (my only lighter character is Talina, but I haven't developed her far enough to actually play within a kingdom). Hope that helps a bit. I first learned how to roleplay on the Old Plaza, so Naelia's come a long way since then. :smile:
He who commands the Ruling Ring... commands all

Storyteller
Hi @Xenophon! Welcome back. I'm glad old members still feel the urge to see what's going on with the Plaza, enough to notice that we're back! I hope you enjoy your time here on the new version and get to take part in some fun RP.

Istari Steward
yooooooo @Amalric good to see you, though I appear to be a bit late to hop on the welcome wagon.

New Soul
I’m back and I cannot access any functionality to choose a kingdom.
Look up and left WHERE? Please help. (Is this a browser issue? I’m in safari at the moment.

I was formerly known as Ann Kalagon of Gondor on the Plaza, later moved to the Shire as Ankala Teaweed.
fka Ann Kalagon, Hyandaner

Mae Govannen, my friends!

Black Númenórean
@Ankala Teaweed if you're on a computer, there's a left hand sidebar and "Change Kingdom" is the seventh item in the list! If you're on mobile, tap your name in the upper right hand corner of the screen, then user control panel from the dropdown list, and then the fourth tab is "change kingdom/rank" :grin: This also works on desktop.
Evil is a lifestyle | she/her

New Soul
Yep - I triple checked my profile in the user control panel,
that menu item is not visible in iphone safari! — but thank you Moriel — I’ll get on the laptop on the weekend and check it out.

This I copied and pasted:

Edit profile
Edit signature
Edit account settings
Manage “Remember Me” login keys

Black Númenórean
I think you missed the tabs! You're in the 'Profile' tab, and you need to tap the 'Change Kingdom/Rank' tab. Here's what it look like for me on mobile safari:

New Soul
now I know where it should appear. 👍🏽
Last edited by Ankala Teaweed on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

New Soul
now I know where it should appear. 👍🏽 On my phone to the right of the Board Preference tab, there are 3 horizontal bars for that and the Privacy Data.
YAY

Black Númenórean
Hooray!! Hobbitified once more! :grin:

High Warden of Tower
makes evil plans to capture Hobbits and bring them to Gondor

Arien
Arien
Welcome @Nenuphar!
cave anserem

Healer of Imladris
I'm late to the party but WOW @Amalric and @Ankala Teaweed those are some familiar names! Aerlinn Mordagnir here under all the fur, if that rings a bell. Hope to see you around! *g*
Top-class Canine Alter Ego Associate of Aerlinn Mordagnir

New Soul
Thank you!
and yeah interesting name change, Aerlinn Mordagnir - is this recent? The title as well!

Master Torturer
@BrionyLoudoun Welcome back! :D Was that your plaza name on Old Plaza too??

Foolhardy Ent
Wow, random Google search for the win! I knew there was an effort some years ago to remake the plaza, but didn't think something would ever come of it. Nice job!

The recreation is amazing, and the nostalgia is hitting hard.

Joined the original Plaza in....2002? I think? Some time around there. Name on the original was Azador, then during a name change event that subsequently overlapped with when I stopped visting was "Almighty Panda".... because is was the early 00's and I was a cringey high schooler. Current name is one I've used for D&D, ARPGs, and MMOs for close to 20 years now.

Master Torturer
Welcome back Tondalar! :D

Ent Ancient
An Ent an Ent! Yay!! *dances* (ignore the eagle, normally I am a tree!) welcome back @Tondalar! Not sure I remember "meeting" you on the OP as Azador or otherwise but very glad to see you here!

Black Númenórean
@BrionyLoudoun - I remember you from OP! This is Tarawen in disguise. Welcome back!

Welcome back @Tondalar!

Doorwarden of The Mark
Hi guys, thanks for the warm welcomes. So glad to be back :)
My old Plaza name was Athelas and before then Stinker_8.

Black Númenórean
Athelas, I recognize that name! Welcome back! Moriel here under the funny name :grin:

Welcome back, Tondalar!

Newborn of Lothlorien
Hi guys! Wow, going through this thread was absolutely crazy. So many names I recognise!

I had no clue that this was back up. I only googled it just now and found a link on reddit. I joined back in October 2003. My name was originally Celebglîn, but I changed it after a while to Celeblin. Cele for short.

Balrog
Welcome back @Celeblin! I'm glad you found your way back :grin:
Strange Fruit got holes in the flesh but it ain't gonn' spoil cause it never was fresh

Black Númenórean
Welcome back, @Celeblin!

Master Torturer
Welcome back Celeblin! <3

Elven Enchanter
Hey there @Celeblin. It’s great that you found your way back here.

New Soul
Hello, my name is Troygan.

I actually used to be part of this forum sometime ago before it crashed. I've been waiting for it to return ever since, and after a while it's only now I find it back.

But it seems since I last been here I missed a lot already. I don't know where to start.

I already made up several characters, here's a couple of them:

. Mauren the Proclaimer, a young boy of Black Numenorean lineage who servers as a scout and a messenger for Mordor's missions. He resides specifically in Minas Morgul
. Uthurg, a Morgul orc who serves as Mauren's Godfather