*gasp* OTHER fantasy?!

Yeah I get it, this is where everyone will actually post.
Wise Ent
We all love Tolkien. He is the grandfather of epic fantasy. I'm not a historian, but I'm bold enough to make the sweeping statement of: before Tolkien fantastical stories were mainly fairy tales.

Since The Lord of the Rings was published, fantasy has seen peaks and troughs in the general consciousness of western culture. Some of the stuff out there is great. Some is piss poor. Go figure.

If we disregard everything that has been made into a TV or film franchise, and give appropriate credit to Brandon Sanderson now, what other fantasy is there that you enjoy? I don't care if it's urban fantasy, high fantasy or anywhere in-between.

Personally I'd recommend everyone try the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. It's a quirky urban fantasy with a nicely thought out magic system. Also the Priestess of the White by Trudi Canavan is a gem.

Master Torturer
Joe Abercrombie!! <3

Master Torturer
Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell reminded me what I liked about fantasy in the first place. At the time (2015), I'd recently burnt myself out on a bunch of highly-recommended epic fantasy series with intricate worldbuilding and characters I couldn't bring myself to care about. I was sort of questioning my taste, since I've spent so much time online talking about my love of worldbuilding, and figured maybe I wasn't actually a fantasy fan per se, but just a Tolkien fan with nostalgia for a few other series I read as a kid/teen.

Reading Jonathan Strange was alternately comforting in its familiarity and refreshing in its difference from so much of what I'd previously focused on. It spends more time developing its setting (a version of the Regency era where magic is a thing) than many series set in fully fictional worlds--especially in the copious, lengthy footnotes--but this is of decidedly secondary interest next to the characters. It has great dialogue and a good sense of humor along with pathos. The depiction of magic is interesting in part because it's not the sort of thing you'd describe as a magic system (a phrase that gives me hives; sorry, Sanderson fans :smiley15:).

...I'm clearly still a bit of a fangirl and I don't want to oversell this, but it's my favorite non-Tolkien fantasy novel and one of my favorite novels, in any genre, that I've read in the past five years. :smiley22:
Loremistress Emerita | she/her

Istari Steward
Does sci-fi count as fantasy?

Elven Enchanter
I'd put Song of Ice and Fire up fairly high on my fantasy list.

Ducky: I'd argue that sci-fi could probably fit into the fantasy genre. And veering a bit into that genre, I would add CS Lewis' Space Trilogy into my (rather short) list of favourite fantasy.
Artanis / Éomund / Brandor / Zarâm

Esquire of The Mark
Anything by Michael Ende!
Kill-Stealing Skirt Wench
When others ride out to win renown, let me chosen to tend the house.

Warrior of Imladris
I enjoyed David Gemmell. I loved his characterisation: the journeys he takes his characters on are always real and cathartic.

I'm afraid other recommendable fantasy, for me, takes us back to my childhood. I loved Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising sequence, and Ursula le Guim's Earthsea trilogy.

I got bored with ASOIAF and RJ's Wheel of Time after initially good starts. But I tend not to read fiction now.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Sage of Khazad-dûm
Feel free to join us book lovers here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=77&start=50
Family Stealtharm | Sil's #1 Property | Knowledge of a woman, pride of a dwarf | Khazâd ai-mênu!

Thain of The Mark
Favorite fantasies I've found since LOTR way-back-when:

The Dragon Jousters series by Mercedes Lackey - so immersive. I need to re-read this, honestly.
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman - *fascinating* worldbuilding, but not overbearing. Was not as impressed with Shadow Scale--the sequel--from a story perspective, but still enjoyed delving into the world again.
Uprooted by Naomi Novik - I have a Thing for sentient trees, ok? But the rest of the story was also awesome.
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik - This one ruined me in so many ways that I'm still processing it.
Treason's Crown (novella) by Anne Wheeler - My most recent binge-fantasy read. Christian undertones, but not preachy, and a really fascinating look at duty vs love.
The Staff & The Sword series by Patrick W. Carr (Christian fantasy, but so well done) - borderline preachy, but a series that I *needed* at the time I read it when going through some hard things.
His Fair Assassins series by Robin LaFevers - Assassin nuns. Gods walking the earth. So many twists and morally ambiguous characters. And there are so many quotes from these books that I love, and this one in particular really helped me a lot when my grandmother passed away rather unexpectedly and traumatically:
“What is it like?"

"What is what like?"

"Death. What is death like?"

"He is quiet and still, and oh, so peaceful. Fear will no longer hold any sway over you, nor will worry or sadness. Can you think of a time when you were especially tired? Perhaps after a long day of travel? Do you remember how lovely it was to climb into your feather bed that night? How grateful your tired limbs were? How welcoming it felt? How delicious to close your eyes and finally rest?"

"Yes."

"It is just like that.”
I have not had the chance to read the new Courting Darkness (set in the His Fair Assassins universe) books yet, but SOON.

I very much enjoyed reading Patrick Rothfuss, but I don't hang on to authors who can't follow through with their work. That said, though, I've met him in person and have signed copies of the first two books, plus got to *extensively* question him about worldbuilding and I would not trade that experience for anything.
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

Master Torturer
Btw if anyone likes SoA and LOTR, then Jonathan French's books are quite good, easy read and compelling characters :)

Loremaster of the Herd
I've been meaning to start Jonathan Strange @Eldy Dunami -- your endorsement might make me take the plunge.
I've been on a sort of American Gothic kick lately. Matt Ruff's Lovecraft Country is excellent -- and handles, I think, some of the flaws in our beloved genre very well.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars

Esquire of The Mark
Some of my favorites (this list could get really long and this is without including the sci-fi :smiley15: ):

Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Dresden Files (urban wizards) and Codex Alera (Lost Roman Legion plus mash-up) series by Jim Butcher
The Black Company series by Glen Cook
Inversions by Iain Banks - almost straight-up fantasy, not nearly as dark as his usual stuff
Earthsea novels by Ursula K. LeGuin
Amber novels by Roger Zelazny (and most anything else he wrote)
Bascially anything by Terry Pratchett or Diana Wynne Jones

And lately I've been working through a bunch of stuff by Mercedes Lackey (mostly with co-authors) that I found in my compilation of old Baen free e-book files. Not a favorite yet, but some really imaginative ideas.

Among possibly less-known current authors, I'd recommend Laura Bickle, on the basis of the one book (Nine of Stars) I've read. I keep not getting around to finding more of her stuff but it's an oversight.
May the Horse be with you.

Master Torturer
Looooved Codex Alera <3

Ent High Elder
i just finished reading the Tales of Prydain (The Book of Three, The Black Cauldron, The Castle of Llyr, Taran Wanderer, The High King) with my son. It's similar to LOTR in a medieval type setting but geared towards younger kids (3rd-6th grade level). They are still quite entertaining as an adult as well, but if you have kids in that age range, I'd recommend them.
Fangorn Forever

Master Torturer
Oh forgot, Brent Weeks is pretty darn good too. He has several good series that are worth a read.

New Soul
This might be a long list. :smiley9: I have read a lot of fantasy - much of which I love, some of which I don't. First love has always been high/epic & heroic fantasy, have more recently discovered some more historical fantasy that I like; I am significantly less fond of the urban, paranormal, and grimdark subgenres.

Fantasy authors that I loved: (I am almost certainly going to forget some things off this list; I may have to edit later)
David and Leigh Eddings, the Belgariad, the Malloreon, Polgara the Sorceress, Belgarad the Sorcerer, etc.
Terry Pratchett, all of Discworld, but some of my favourites: Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal, Men at Arms, Night Watch, Maskerade
Terry Brooks, in particular the original trilogy and the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy
Tamora Pierce, in particular the Song of the Lioness quartet, the Trickster duology, and Protector of the Small.
C.S. Lewis, Chronicles of Narnia and the Space trilogy.
Naomi Novik, the Temeraire series (favourite fictional dragon ever!) and Uprooted and Spinning Silver
Genvieve Cogman, the Invisible Library series
Marie Brennan, everything she's written, but in particular the Onyx Court series, the A Natural History of Dragons series, Doppelganger, and Warrior and Witch
J.K. Rowling, the Harry Potter series
Christopher Paolini, Eragon. Yes, I know there are some flaws (mostly with the sequels), but I adored this book as a pre-teen.
Robin Hobb, Farseer Trilogy
T. Kingfisher, The Clocktaur War duology
Mary Robinette Kowal, the Glamourist Histories series and Ghost Talkers
Philip Pullman, His Dark Materials
Robyn Bennis, The Guns Above (and the rest of the Signal Airship books)
Eoin Colfer, all of the Artemis Fowl books
Cornelia Funke, the Inkheart trilogy
William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Brian Jacques, all the Redwall books
Neil Gaiman, Stardust

Fantasy that I enjoyed, but was not as enthralled by:
Saladin Ahmed, Throne of the Crescent Moon
Lucy Hounsom, Starborn
Natasha Pulley, The Watchmaker of Filigree Street
Scott Lynch, The Lies of Locke Lamora and sequels
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear
Jim Butcher, The Dresden Files
Lloyd Alexander, The Chronicles of Prydain
David Daglish, Skyborn
Ursula le Guin, the Earthsea books

Fantasy that I have read and for one reason or another disliked (doesn't mean it's bad or someone else wouldn't like it; just isn't for me)
George R.R. Martin, Game of Thrones (read first two books, have not got through the rest)
Glen Cook, The Black Company
Steven Erikson, the Malazan series (read first two books, stopped)
Stephen R. Donaldson, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time (read first couple books, stopped)

She/her. Almarëa - Rivendell / Jaena - Lone Lands (T.A.) and Gondor (F.A.) / Layna - Mordor

Craftsman of Gondor
Echoing what several others have said re: Earthsea, I really wish I'd discovered it earlier in my reading career. Something about its approach to worldbuilding feels refreshingly free. I mean, I love Tolkien and Sanderson for sure, but sometimes just enjoying a book where you really don't have to worry about who did what when to lay down an ancient prophecy and can just...go on an adventure is what you need. I also really enjoy Sparrowhawk as a character; his arc is great an believable, and the fact that his power ultimately comes from being thoughtful and from his hard-won humility, not being teh chozun wizrid or something.

I also went through N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy earlier this year. It was interesting, definitely a nice change of pace. I'm not sure I prefer my fantasy to be quite so bleak, but there was some really clever narrative structuring going on that I want to reread someday. I also intend to revisit some of Guy Gavriel Kay's stuff; I tried to read The Fionavar Tapestry in high school and bounced off it, but I'd like to revisit it at some point.

Edit: Oh, and I read the first half of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun last year. Not sure what I expected, that definitely wasn't it, I fully intend to finish it and would probably be doing so about now if my reading time hadn't become so precious and I was willing to be a bit more patient with something...

Warrior of Imladris
Almarëa Mordollwen wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:11 pm
Terry Pratchett, all of Discworld
C.S. Lewis, Chronicles of Narnia
J.K. Rowling, the Harry Potter series
Eoin Colfer, the Artemis Fowl books
William Goldman, The Princess Bride
Ha, better memories than mine help ... I also seem to remember some more YA ... it's all very vague though.

Sarah Rees Brennan's Demon's Lexicon trilogy, such a clever writer. I liked her fanfic coda to the end of the Harry Potter series too. It's canon for me.
Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy
The Labyrinth - book of the film - who wrote this? I do not know, but I loved it.
The Wood-elves lingered in the twilight of our Sun and Moon, but loved best the stars.

Thain of The Mark
Lirimaer wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:14 pm The Labyrinth - book of the film - who wrote this? I do not know, but I loved it.
ACH Smith
Second Marshal of the Mark
Westmark Éored

Ent Ancient
@KingODuckingham - seeing as they're often shelved together as Sci Fi/Fantasy, I don't see why not.

I like how you made your list @Almarëa Mordollwen so I styled mine similar. I think I need to get The Natural History of Dragons on my to-read list!

My other favorite fantasy would have to be:
Chronicles of Narnia, C.S. Lewis
Harry Potter, doe I need an author here?
Seraphina and Tess of the Road, Rachel Hartman (I am with you @Taethowen I did not love Shadow Scale, either)
The Riyria Revelations, Michael J. Sullivan (and to a slightly lesser extent, the Riyria Chronicles)
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Patricia C. Wrede (pretty much fav of my youth!)
The Lies of Locke Lamora, Scott Lynch (also the second volume, but did not love the third so much)
Foundryside, Robert Jackson Bennett (LOVED Shorefall!)
The Copper Promise, Jen Williams
The Invisible Library, Genevieve Cogman
The Final Empire and Mistborn Era 2, Brandon Sanderson (I did not love Well of Ascension or Hero of Ages...)
Queens of Renthia series, Sarah Beth Durst
The Thief's Gamble, Juliet E. McKenna (plus most books that followed)
The Light Between the Worlds, Laura E. Weymouth
The Snow Child, Eowyn Ivey (maybe more magical realism, but gosh this book was beautiful)
All the Birds in the Sky, Charlie Jane Anders (probably borderline fantasy/sci fi)
Strange the Dreamer, Laini Taylor

Others I quite liked a lot, but not quite favorites:
The Emperor's Edge, Lindsay Buroker
Age of Myth series, Michael J. Sullivan
Dreamer's Pool, Juliet E. Marillier
The Fifth Season, N.K. Jemison
The Dalemark Quartet, Dianna Wynne Jones
Discworld, Terry Pratchett (ok haven't read them all but enjoyed the ones I did)
Shades of Magic, Victoria Schwab

And some I did not like:
Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin (couldn't even get through book 1)
The Summer Tree, GGK
The Blade Itself, Joe Abercrombie
The Dragon Keeper, Robin Hobb
The Shadow of What Was Lost, James Islington
The Golden Compass, Philip Pullman (not that I disliked it but I found it incredibly dull to read)
Last edited by Lail on Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master Torturer
Wooooot! You didnt like Joe!??? Omg :(

Ent Ancient
Too much torture for me, Windy! :smiley12: I managed to actually get through it without giving up though!
I am certain a lot of those books I did not like are going to be unpopular, but, its the truth and everyone's got to love different books, right?

Master Torturer
Ok I will let you off on that one then ;)

Doorwarden of The Mark
Seconding the love for the Garth Nix Abhorsen books. There's the original trilogy, as well as a prequel set long before, and a sequel set just after. There's also some compilations of short stories, though not all of them are set in the same universe.
Dryhtguma of Meduseld ~ Dicun

Warrior of Imladris
Thanks @Taethowen

@Aethelu oh really, he wrote more? I missed those.

I also vaguely remember enjoying Sarah Monette's Melusine (Labyrinthine) series ... quite adult in theme, I feel. They belong, for me, in that class of books which you enjoy once.

Whereas I, with my addictive personality, like books which call you back time after time.

Esquire of The Mark
I know it is technically sci fi, but my all time favourite fantasy stories are the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey - I could read them over and over and over and love them the same every time.

Next, with added significance in that this series got me into Fantasy in the first place - The Song of the Lioness quartet by Tamora Pierce, and then all of her other books as well - currently rereading the wild magic ones.

Also worthy of note - Terry Pratchett, Patrick Rothfuss, Scott Lynch, C. S. Lewis (esp Horse and his Boy), Robin Hobb, Stephen Hunt, and Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising.

Others fall into a weird category where I love the story but don't enjoy the reading - such as Philip Pullman, David Gemmell, Terry Goodkind and Guy Gavriel Kay. Maybe I should try them again now I'm older.
Starbreeze ~ Lily Knotwise ~ Itarildë Tinehtelë ~ Peachleaf ~ Isiliyan ~ Aelflaed Goldhawk ~ Dagnead

New Soul
Aethelu wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:29 pmSeconding the love for the Garth Nix Abhorsen books. There's the original trilogy, as well as a prequel set long before, and a sequel set just after. There's also some compilations of short stories, though not all of them are set in the same universe.
Adding my support for the Abhorsen books! If memory serves me right I've read the first 3 books (Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen), I don't think I've read the rest. I'll have to correct that when I do a reread. :-)
She/her.
Solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant

Councillor of Imladris
I really love the Game of Thrones series, and the intricacy of the world-building. I also really like the Gentlemen Bastards series. I couldn't get into The Name of the Wind at all, unfortunately. And I love some of Pratchett's works, but not all. Same with Gaiman.

Doorwarden of The Mark
@Mojo I'm on with Chronicles of Prydain now! Currently reading the third book. Enjoying them now and would've loved this as child.

More sci-fi than fantasy but I love Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines series and its sort-of prequels. And if you want a sort-of LotR parody for juniors his Goblins series is good fun.

Seconding the love for Pratchett, Cornelia Funke, Eoin Colfer and William Goldman too.

Doorwarden of The Mark
@Lirimaer, @Nessa Saelind There's 2 full length novels and 2 short stories in a collection:

Clariel is a prequel to the trilogy
Goldenhand is a sequel to the trilogy
Across the Wall is the first short story collection
To Hold the Bridge is the second short story collection

I think in the short story collections only one story is set in the Old Kingdom and the rest are some original short stories. I haven't read them in a while so I can't totally remember :smiley14:

@Elarith I forgot about Mortal Engines, it's such an interesting world.
Dryhtguma of Meduseld ~ Dicun

Warrior of Imladris
Ahhh, I remember Across the Wall ... the title at least!! :smiley9:

Newborn of Imladris
Everything by Ursula Le Guin.
Terry Pratchett
Stephen King (Yes he does fit into fantasy)

Mine aren't too bad, but I can't really advertise on the Plaza.....
Remembering halfir by learning something new each day

New Soul
I guess my tastes are more in line with @FireroseArien's but there is enough out there in this genre for everyone to find some authors they enjoy. As a child, I was into Chronicles of Prydain (after Tolkien, of course).

I am in my fourth read of the Wheel of Time series now. It is so involved with so many characters (and drawing on so many different cultures' ancient stories) that it took me 3 reads to sort them all out. Robert Jordan did incredible work.

I am eating up Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive series as it comes out.

I thoroughly enjoy George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series; I hope he finishes it some day. He has so many projects, I don't know how he keeps all those balls in motion!

btw, Jordan and Martin started out as Tolkien fans themselves.

I too loved the Anne McCaffrey Pern series back in the day.

I am not a Le Guin fan, sorry.
Some of the other authors--named or unnamed--I like some of their work but not all.
fka Ann Kalagon, Hyandaner

Mae Govannen, my friends!

Loremaster of the Herd
@Ankala Teaweed Martin has actually said he rereads LOTR annually, iirc. I think a lot of the distance between Middle-earth and ASOIAF can (and should) be read as conversation and intentional critique / response, and not as the sort of thoughtless "grimdark" which people group him with.
In the deeps of Time, amidst the Innumerable Stars